Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 04-17-2011, 12:15 AM   #121
CadBane
Banned

CadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by kg_veteran View Post
I was angry at Carlisle about giving Barea too much time when he wasn't performing, too. I believe I tweeted that he was "dead to me" when I saw the 3GL trot out. But upon reflection, I thought he coached the rest of the game pretty well. The moves he made in the last 6 minutes certainly seemed to work. They had a 14 point turnaround.
Haha, what moves? Putting Kidd and Marion back in? The two moves people were pleading to happen several minutes earlier?
CadBane is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-17-2011, 12:15 AM   #122
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by chumdawg View Post
So, let me get this straight. We win a game (and convincingly, at the end), and we're gonna say that we found something in there that "almost cost us the game"?
We were down six with less than six minutes to go, and the game was tied with four minutes to go. It was anyone's game. So yes, I think it's an accurate assessment.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com
jthig32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 12:15 AM   #123
mavs777
Diamond Member

mavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by CadBane View Post
Haha, what moves? Putting Kidd and Marion back in? The two moves people were pleading to happen several minutes earlier?
Believe it or not, there is more to coaching then making subs
mavs777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 12:16 AM   #124
xrobx
Diamond Member

xrobx has a reputation beyond reputexrobx has a reputation beyond reputexrobx has a reputation beyond reputexrobx has a reputation beyond reputexrobx has a reputation beyond reputexrobx has a reputation beyond reputexrobx has a reputation beyond reputexrobx has a reputation beyond reputexrobx has a reputation beyond reputexrobx has a reputation beyond reputexrobx has a reputation beyond repute

we need to treat game 2 like it's game 7. remember, we won game 1 last year too. we need to win both.
xrobx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 12:17 AM   #125
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I didn't think he passed very well, either. Are you saying you thought he did play well? Just curious, because you seem to dispute my position that he didn't.
He didn't have great results, to be sure, but yeah, I think he played well. I think the whole team did. I think Carlisle coached it well, too. I think we won the damn game. In the playoffs. Against a team that whipped our ass the last time out, and that everyone thinks will whip us in this series.

If you are hung up on results as your only barometer, then there's really no reason to even watch the games.
chumdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 12:17 AM   #126
kg_veteran
Old School Balla

kg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
They outscored the Blazers 23-9 down the stretch. That's 23 points in the final 6 minutes, while allowing 9. The offensive and defensive plays he was calling seemed to work.
Old 04-17-2011, 12:18 AM   #127
CadBane
Banned

CadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by mavs777 View Post
Believe it or not, there is more to coaching then making subs
No shit. Care to share insight on the particulars RC used down the stretch? I've actually played the game while you're a 17 year old kid, so I don't need to be reminded on the intricacies of coaching.
Old 04-17-2011, 12:19 AM   #128
FINtastic
Diamond Member

FINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by jthig32 View Post
I saw someone refer to Wojo as this generation's Peter Vescey and it really is a perfect assessment.
Couldn't agree more. I find all of the smug, self-righteousness that you have to wade through in his columns to be a bit much. Plus, you can only write so many articles on "the sinister side of LeBron that public doesn't get to see" before you need to start looking for a new schtick.

"Ok, Go Mavericks!"
-Avery Johnson

Last edited by FINtastic; 04-17-2011 at 12:19 AM.
FINtastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 12:19 AM   #129
CadBane
Banned

Quote:
They outscored the Blazers 23-9 down the stretch. That's 23 points in the final 6 minutes, while allowing 9. The offensive and defensive plays he was calling seemed to work.
He didn't call any defensive plays. We played man to man. I guess he ran some nice offensive schemes...I mean really it was just Dirk going to work and Kidd hitting a huge three. It was actually Dirk who orchaestrated the three pointer in the corner and the backcourt cut, FWIW
Old 04-17-2011, 12:19 AM   #130
kg_veteran
Old School Balla

kg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
He didn't have great results, to be sure, but yeah, I think he played well. I think the whole team did. I think Carlisle coached it well, too. I think we won the damn game. In the playoffs. Against a team that whipped our ass the last time out, and that everyone thinks will whip us in this series.

If you are hung up on results as your only barometer, then there's really no reason to even watch the games.
I'm not going to waste time arguing about this. It's not like I really dislike Barea. I'll just beg to differ with you, hope he plays less or better in Game 2, and continue to savor the Game 1 win.
Old 04-17-2011, 12:20 AM   #131
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
This is where the Carlisle bashers lose me. Are you seriously making the case that all Rick did over the final six minutes was put our best players on the court? Is he Mike Brown, just rolling the ball out? He doesn't have anything to do with the sets that we run on both ends of the court, along with other decisions?

Rick has his faults and I thought he made a huge mistake tonight with the 3GL, but I can't support taking it any further than that. He's a very good coach. He's respected around the league for his x's and o's. Every team's fans have issues with their coach. Dub loves to point out how the Spurs boards treat Pop.

Rick is far from perfect and he made one awful decision tonight, but let's not take it too far.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com
Old 04-17-2011, 12:20 AM   #132
CadBane
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by FINtastic View Post
Couldn't agree more. I find all of the smug, self-righteousness that you have to wade through in his columns to be a bit much. Plus, you can only write so many articles on "the sinister side of LeBron that public doesn't get to see" before you need to start looking for a new schtick.
I actually used to like his scathing articles on LBJ, they were over-the-top, but funny IMO. Now I hate him.
Old 04-17-2011, 12:20 AM   #133
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I wouldn't call that a convincing win. And what do you find odd about pointing out a huge coaching error that almost cost a game, and could in the future?

Learn from your mistakes?
You are assuming that the two things are unrelated. I suggest that they are. By playing Barea the minutes he did, he was able to rest Kidd without the team getting completely overwhelmed. Then when it was time to buckle down, the big boys were ready and we pulled away.

Seems pretty smart, when you look at it that way.
Old 04-17-2011, 12:21 AM   #134
Tyrone Jamal

Tyrone Jamal is infamous around these partsTyrone Jamal is infamous around these partsTyrone Jamal is infamous around these parts

Doris Burke doesn't have the chest to commentate NBA playoff games. I don't care what anyone says.
Tyrone Jamal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 12:21 AM   #135
kg_veteran
Old School Balla

Quote:
He didn't call any defensive plays. We played man to man. I guess he ran some nice offensive schemes...I mean really it was just Dirk going to work and Kidd hitting a huge three. It was actually Dirk who orchaestrated the three pointer in the corner and the backcourt cut, FWIW
I'm sure you could have done it. After all, you've played the game.
Old 04-17-2011, 12:22 AM   #136
kg_veteran
Old School Balla

Quote:
This is where the Carlisle bashers lose me. Are you seriously making the case that all Rick did over the final six minutes was put our best players on the court? Is he Mike Brown, just rolling the ball out? He doesn't have anything to do with the sets that we run on both ends of the court, along with other decisions?

Rick has his faults and I thought he made a huge mistake tonight with the 3GL, but I can't support taking it any further than that. He's a very good coach. He's respected around the league for his x's and o's. Every team's fans have issues with their coach. Dub loves to point out how the Spurs boards treat Pop.

Rick is far from perfect and he made one awful decision tonight, but let's not take it too far.
Right.
Old 04-17-2011, 12:22 AM   #137
CadBane
Banned

Quote:

I actually agree that RC is a very good X's and O's Coach. However...down the stretch, I didn't discern any particular savvy plays or schemes down the stretch.

His rotational blunder is a far more egregious crime, because it just shouldn't have happened. No rationale for it.
Old 04-17-2011, 12:22 AM   #138
sefant77
Guru

sefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond repute

I seriously wanna know how much Jason Kidd wanked when he was a teenager to get such strong hands.

When he grabbed that ball from Wallace, just aweseome.
sefant77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 12:23 AM   #139
kg_veteran
Old School Balla

Quote:
You are assuming that the two things are unrelated. I suggest that they are. By playing Barea the minutes he did, he was able to rest Kidd without the team getting completely overwhelmed. Then when it was time to buckle down, the big boys were ready and we pulled away.

He was playing with fire, and tonight he didn't get burned. If Barea can just contribute a bit more offensively, this is probably a non-issue.
Old 04-17-2011, 12:23 AM   #140
chumdawg
Guru

Quote:
I'm not going to waste time arguing about this. It's not like I really dislike Barea. I'll just beg to differ with you, hope he plays less or better in Game 2, and continue to savor the Game 1 win.
I hope Dirk plays better, too. You want to differ with that?
Old 04-17-2011, 12:23 AM   #141
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

Quote:

I agree with this part. As I've already said I'm willing to defer to Rick on Kidd's minutes. And JJB has to play the minutes that Kidd doesn't.

Playing them together, however, is not ok against the Blazers. Not in my book, anyway. And playing them with Jet? And Peja?

C'mon. That's nuts.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
Old 04-17-2011, 12:24 AM   #142
kg_veteran
Old School Balla

Quote:
Originally Posted by sefant77 View Post
I seriously wanna know how much Jason Kidd wanked when he was a teenager to get such strong hands.

When he grabbed that ball from Wallace, just aweseome.
LOL. I remember one of the former player commentator types referring to him as having "old steel hands."
Old 04-17-2011, 12:24 AM   #143
CadBane
Banned

Quote:

Kidd only hit two shots after he came back in, and there's no reason to believe he wouldn't have hit them if he hadn't rested that extra minute or two. And it's not as much Kidd 's rest as it was running JJB-Terry-Kidd with no Marion when that undersized lineup was being worked defensively. Remember, JJB stated in several minutes after Kidd came in.
Old 04-17-2011, 12:24 AM   #144
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

I'm actually a pretty big Carlisle fan.. He's not perfect, but he's by far the best coach the Mavs have had in a very long time. Unfortunately, I'm afraid he doesn't have all that many good options when it comes to rotations right now. This team is significantly flawed without Butler. Unfortunately, it's a crapshoot game after game. You just don't have a solid idea as to what you're going to get out of about 90% of the roster.

Last edited by Murphy3; 04-17-2011 at 12:26 AM.
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 12:25 AM   #145
kg_veteran
Old School Balla

Quote:
I hope Dirk plays better, too. You want to differ with that?
With the exception of the 4th, I certainly agree with that. I hope that he does the same thing in every 4th quarter.
Old 04-17-2011, 12:25 AM   #146
sefant77
Guru

sefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond repute

Playing Barea beside Kidd is stupid.

Playing him beside Kidd when he has a terrible game is really stupid.

Playing him beside Kidd when you have options on the bench is again stupid.
sefant77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 12:25 AM   #147
CadBane
Banned

Quote:
I'm sure you could have done it. After all, you've played the game.
Old 04-17-2011, 12:26 AM   #148
chumdawg
Guru

Quote:
This is so hilarious to me. On the one hand you argue about how he must be doing more when it comes to strategy than just rolling the ball out there, and on the other hand you find something (in a win!) that was an "awful decision," regardless.

I wanna know where you guys went to logic school.
Old 04-17-2011, 12:27 AM   #149
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

Quote:
This is so hilarious to me. On the one hand you argue about how he must be doing more when it comes to strategy than just rolling the ball out there, and on the other hand you find something (in a win!) that was an "awful decision," regardless.

I wanna know where you guys went to logic school.
So a win means that every decision he made was correct? How is that logical?

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
Old 04-17-2011, 12:29 AM   #150
kg_veteran
Old School Balla

Good night, boys and girls. Looking forward to a win on Tuesday night...

Go Mavs!
Old 04-17-2011, 12:29 AM   #151
CadBane
Banned

When the awful decision is that egregious, people are going to take note. Part of it is that is was just a plum STUPID decision. I'm not going to blame RC if he makes a rationale decision, and it just backfires. But playing JJB-Terry-Kidd, and JJB for 6 minutes in the FOURTH QUARTER? Yeah, that is going to draw ire, and rightfully so.

Last edited by CadBane; 04-17-2011 at 12:30 AM.
Old 04-17-2011, 12:32 AM   #152
Mavsfan4ever
Golden Member

Mavsfan4ever is a splendid one to beholdMavsfan4ever is a splendid one to beholdMavsfan4ever is a splendid one to beholdMavsfan4ever is a splendid one to beholdMavsfan4ever is a splendid one to beholdMavsfan4ever is a splendid one to beholdMavsfan4ever is a splendid one to beholdMavsfan4ever is a splendid one to beholdMavsfan4ever is a splendid one to beholdMavsfan4ever is a splendid one to beholdMavsfan4ever is a splendid one to behold

Rick need to play Brewer in place of JJB in game 2. Brewers size will give us more defense then JJB can provide.
Old 04-17-2011, 12:33 AM   #153
chumdawg
Guru

Quote:
So a win means that every decision he made was correct? How is that logical?
It should be your starting point. Unless you think the Mavs are that much better than the Blazers that they could give them a considerable spot and still win.

Myself, I think the teams are closer than that.
Old 04-17-2011, 12:33 AM   #154
Usually Lurkin
Diamond Member

Usually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond repute

This game had ref-controlled point-shaving written all over it. They allowed the beatings through the first half to keep it from being a blow out. Then they gave Dirk the super star calls at the end. The weird call on Marion at the end was all about trying to beat the spread. One of those refs is going to get threatened by his mob connection tonight for not keeping it close enough.
Usually Lurkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 12:33 AM   #155
Dirkadirkastan
Diamond Member

Dirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by sefant77 View Post
Listen to their broadcast, and you will realize how their minds have been poisoned.
Dirkadirkastan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 12:35 AM   #156
chumdawg
Guru

Quote:
But playing JJB-Terry-Kidd, and JJB for 6 minutes in the FOURTH QUARTER? Yeah, that is going to draw ire, and rightfully so.
And if JJB hits a three, or penetrates and draws a foul (to get us closer to the bonus), which is something no one else who would play in his place can do nearly as well as he can...or if he draws an offensive foul...then does that draw your ire?

You are so guilty of hindsight bias, in this case.
Old 04-17-2011, 12:36 AM   #157
Thomas86
Golden Member

Thomas86 is a name known to allThomas86 is a name known to allThomas86 is a name known to allThomas86 is a name known to allThomas86 is a name known to allThomas86 is a name known to allThomas86 is a name known to allThomas86 is a name known to allThomas86 is a name known to allThomas86 is a name known to allThomas86 is a name known to all

Mavs might want to keep on eye on Wesley Matthews for game 2...
Thomas86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 12:37 AM   #158
grndmstr_c
Diamond Member

grndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mavsfan4ever View Post
Rick need to play Brewer in place of JJB in game 2. Brewers size will give us more defense then JJB can provide.
If you're so tired that you can't think straight you should probably just go to bed.
Old 04-17-2011, 12:38 AM   #159
CadBane
Banned

Quote:
And if JJB hits a three, or penetrates and draws a foul (to get us closer to the bonus), which is something no one else who would play in his place can do nearly as well as he can...or if he draws an offensive foul...then does that draw your ire?

You are so guilty of hindsight bias, in this case.
How is it hindsight when I was screaming for it in the present???

I don't care if he hit a three or drew a charge, he was a liability on both ends, particularly on defense. Everyone knew it. Portland was posting him almost every play. So no, I never wanted him in there with Kidd and Terry. It's stupid, any way you slice it.
Old 04-17-2011, 12:39 AM   #160
CadBane
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas86 View Post
Mavs might want to keep on eye on Wesley Matthews for game 2...
Underrated point. He was quiet as a mouse because of early foul trouble. Watch out for him.

Tags
1-0, calm down...we won, calm down? calm down?, remember last year?, return of the quack!, this year isn't last year