Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 03-11-2008, 09:59 AM   #121
shaw-xx
Golden Member

shaw-xx is a name known to allshaw-xx is a name known to allshaw-xx is a name known to allshaw-xx is a name known to allshaw-xx is a name known to allshaw-xx is a name known to allshaw-xx is a name known to allshaw-xx is a name known to all

He isn't the first Maverick who uses the word "sacrifice". Give it a break.
Old 03-11-2008, 07:46 PM   #122
monty55555
Platinum Member

monty55555 has a brilliant futuremonty55555 has a brilliant futuremonty55555 has a brilliant futuremonty55555 has a brilliant futuremonty55555 has a brilliant futuremonty55555 has a brilliant futuremonty55555 has a brilliant futuremonty55555 has a brilliant futuremonty55555 has a brilliant futuremonty55555 has a brilliant futuremonty55555 has a brilliant future

Quote:
Kidd-Howard bond on the way

The connection between Jason Kidd and Josh Howard on the court has been slow to develop. Kidd predicts it’s only a matter of time.

“It’s not fair because a lot of times Josh has had the opportunities and they’re going to fall for him,” Kidd said. “We’re not going to go away from him because he’s a big part of this team.

“When he goes good for us, it makes the game so much easier. He’s going always to be an option for me and I’m always going to give him the ball, and we know those shots will start falling for him.”

Howard has only 20 points in the last two games, though both have been routs and he’s taken only 14 shots. His work at the other end of the court isn’t being ignored.

“I’ve never seen him play defense the way he’s been playing here recently,” Avery Johnson said.
http://www.nba.com/mavericks/news/Notebook_031108.html
monty55555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 08:12 AM   #123
endrity
Platinum Member

endrity has much to be proud ofendrity has much to be proud ofendrity has much to be proud ofendrity has much to be proud ofendrity has much to be proud ofendrity has much to be proud ofendrity has much to be proud ofendrity has much to be proud ofendrity has much to be proud ofendrity has much to be proud ofendrity has much to be proud of

Howard's defense has been poor the last few games. I don't know what Avery is talking about. Maybe he is trying to talk him up like he was with Devin. A lot of defense is about reputation with the refs and how far they'll let you go. So maybe he is just trying to build that up, but honestly Josh's defense has been as bad as it has all season long.
endrity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 09:22 AM   #124
ribosoma
Golden Member

ribosoma has a reputation beyond reputeribosoma has a reputation beyond reputeribosoma has a reputation beyond reputeribosoma has a reputation beyond reputeribosoma has a reputation beyond reputeribosoma has a reputation beyond reputeribosoma has a reputation beyond reputeribosoma has a reputation beyond reputeribosoma has a reputation beyond reputeribosoma has a reputation beyond reputeribosoma has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by endrity
Howard's defense has been poor the last few games. I don't know what Avery is talking about. Maybe he is trying to talk him up like he was with Devin. A lot of defense is about reputation with the refs and how far they'll let you go. So maybe he is just trying to build that up, but honestly Josh's defense has been as bad as it has all season long.
I agree completely with your assessment of his defense. His points and rebounding are okay this year (although he has made some poor decisions down the stretch in games), but it seems like he has really been struggling at the defensive end. I don't know how his personal life plays into this, but not having him playing inspired D really hurts this team.

I don't think any player owes fans an apology, unless he has done something of questionable character that casts the team in a bad light and hurts his teammates. I'd just like to see him be the great player he is and for his confidence to come back. From his past, it always seems like he is unstoppable when he is playing passionately on D, and it really seems to get him involved in all aspects of the game.

Last edited by ribosoma; 03-12-2008 at 10:55 AM.
ribosoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 09:32 AM   #125
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

Totally agree. I was willing to give Howard a bit of a pass for his defense slipping as he added more offense to his game. You do only have so much energy to expend in a given game.

However, as he takes a step back in the offense and Kidd begins getting him easier looks, he needs to redirect some of that saved energy to his defense. He has picked up some very lazy habits lately, imo.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com
jthig32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2008, 10:15 PM   #126
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Flacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond repute

This thread is an abomination.

Let those of us who were not calling for J-Ho's head rejoice.
Old 03-14-2008, 10:16 PM   #127
endrity
Platinum Member

endrity has much to be proud ofendrity has much to be proud ofendrity has much to be proud ofendrity has much to be proud ofendrity has much to be proud ofendrity has much to be proud ofendrity has much to be proud ofendrity has much to be proud ofendrity has much to be proud ofendrity has much to be proud ofendrity has much to be proud of

JHo has officially snapped out of the funk, that's for sure. And with the big games coming up next week, it couldn't come at a better time.
endrity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2008, 10:17 PM   #128
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by jthig32
He has picked up some very lazy habits lately, imo.
that is odd...because defense is what AJ has been praising him...said hes never seen Josh so defensively focused...

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"
sike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2008, 10:29 PM   #129
TheBlueVan
Golden Member

TheBlueVan is a name known to allTheBlueVan is a name known to allTheBlueVan is a name known to allTheBlueVan is a name known to allTheBlueVan is a name known to allTheBlueVan is a name known to allTheBlueVan is a name known to allTheBlueVan is a name known to all

i think we owe josh an apology now
TheBlueVan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2008, 10:38 PM   #130
FINtastic
Diamond Member

FINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond repute

As one of the people criticizing Josh, I'm glad I was wrong. I like the way he's been playing lately, especially his newfound passing dimension. I like that he's been looking to drive and dish on occasion - that's something you never used to see with Josh. I could definitely get used to the 5+ assist game from Josh.

"Ok, Go Mavericks!"
-Avery Johnson

Last edited by FINtastic; 03-14-2008 at 10:39 PM.
FINtastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2008, 10:46 PM   #131
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute

We've being seeing the "good Josh" over the past few games....and I believe he is here to stay!

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"
Old 03-14-2008, 10:47 PM   #132
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute

He's gone a lot of the season frustrating us, so I think it's too early to crown him already. If the knock on him--that his smarts aren't near up to his athleticism--are true, then he's a long way from out of the woods yet.

I loved his game tonight. He'll need to keep that up over the long haul, though.
chumdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 10:50 PM   #133
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by jthig32
I think we offically have identifid Chum's latest victim. He has released Cuban and he has released Jet now that the's not running the PG.

Which is fine, the board wouldn't be the same without Chum having a target.

But, Chum, if you think Dirk's mindset and humility is the norm for a large percentage of pro athletes...well I think you've lost it.

Seriously, he so, so atypical in that regard.
Chum has his finger on the pulse, his ear to the ground, and his nose to the grindstone.

The selfish player I tried to tell you guys about showed his true colors when it mattered most.
chumdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 07:16 AM   #134
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by chumdawg
Chum has his finger on the pulse, his ear to the ground, and his nose to the grindstone.

The selfish player I tried to tell you guys about showed his true colors when it mattered most.
I officially retract everything I said in this thread in support of Josh.

Kudos to you Chum.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com
jthig32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 11:36 AM   #135
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murphy3
Howard isn't a smart player... AJ isn't a good coach. The Mavs are in alot of trouble unless Dirk plays like one of the 2-3 best players in the league the rest of the way out.
....anyone want to disagree? Hell, even with a good to very good Dirk, the Mavs were easily ousted.
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 11:43 AM   #136
sike
The Preacha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murphy3
....anyone want to disagree? Hell, even with a good to very good Dirk, the Mavs were easily ousted.
One man can't beat the 9 other guys on the floor at the time.

Last edited by sike; 04-30-2008 at 11:43 AM.
Old 04-30-2008, 12:05 PM   #137
ghazi
Platinum Member

ghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud of

Mavs shot 40.1% for the series, Hornets shot 48.3%

Hornets shot 45.9% from behind the arc (ridiculous), Mavs shot 34.6%

Paul's dominance, Howard's disappearance, Avery's ineptitude were contributing factors... but the bottom line of this series was the fact that the Hornets got the ball in the basket MUCH better than the Mavs.

I don't like J-Ho that much anymore.
ghazi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 12:08 PM   #138
sike
The Preacha

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghazi
the bottom line of this series was the fact that the Hornets got the ball in the basket MUCH better than the Mavs.
yeah...thats usually what the winning team does.

Old 04-30-2008, 12:21 PM   #139
ghazi
Platinum Member

ghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud of

lol yeah that came out dumb, but the disparity is so huge. Hornets right now are the best shooting team in the playoffs, the Mavs are the worst shooting team in the playoffs.

Even in the Phoenix series, SA shot 46.7% and Phoenix shot 46.1%... still 1-4, but a much smaller disparity.
ghazi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 12:37 PM   #140
antoinewalker
Golden Member

antoinewalker is a jewel in the roughantoinewalker is a jewel in the roughantoinewalker is a jewel in the roughantoinewalker is a jewel in the rough

it's interesting how just last year, josh howard was an all-star and everyone was crowning him as one of the best small forwards in the league. who knew he would become this bad?
antoinewalker is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
josh howard