Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > Around the NBA

Old 09-30-2006, 12:26 AM   #121
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute

Anyone think they should be glad they didn't get the greatness of Mike James?
chumdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-30-2006, 02:45 PM   #122
nashtymavsfan13
Diamond Member

nashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant future

Report: F Wells agrees to deal with Rockets

September 28, 2006

BRISTOL, Connecticut (Ticker) - Bonzi Wells apparently is heading back to the Southwest Division.

ESPN.com reported Thursday that the free-agent forward has agreed to a two-year, $5 million contract with the Houston Rockets.

Wells has a player option for the second year of the deal and plans to re-enter the market next summer, the report said.

"This isn't about the money, this is about being in the right place," Wells' agent, Merle Scott of BDA Sports, told ESPN.com.

After spending the majority of the previous two seasons with Southwest Division club the Memphis Grizzlies, Wells was dealt to the Sacramento Kings for Bobby Jackson and Greg Ostertag on August 2, 2005.

The 6-5 Wells averaged 13.6 points and 7.7 rebounds in 52 games for the Kings last season before increasing his production to 23.2 points and 12.0 rebounds in a six-game loss to the San Antonio Spurs in the first round of the playoffs.

Wells, who turned 30 on September 20, has career averages of 12.8 rebounds and 4.7 points in 490 games with the Portland Trial Blazers, Grizzlies and Kings.

"Bonzi doesn't care about starting," Scott said. "He just wants to be some place he can contribute."

"He's as valuable as anyone. The most unusual thing is that they lose last year's MVP and still get better. It's unheard of."

"For a team as good as the Mavs, the regular season is just 82 practice games until the real season begins." -G-Man

"We wanted this for Dirk because of his heart, his class, his work ethic, his humility, his sense of humor, his respect for the game, and his respect for people."
nashtymavsfan13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2006, 05:46 PM   #123
Rockets

Rockets is on a distinguished road

I've been reading this thread and it's sort of dawned on me that just like any other team-specific forum, this board is full of homeristic fans who downplay their rivals and try to boost their insecurity by repeatedly bashing the opponent. Coming from a board where homers are not rare, I know exactly what this is like.

To downplay the Bonzi Wells signing as if it's trivial is really an understatement. The Rockets have long needed size and quickness on the wing. Please, after having David Wesley for two years, Bonzi Wells is a definite upgrade. Not only will he bring better defense and creating more matchup problems than Wesley, Wells will also provide the Rockets with a slasher and a consistent third scorer night in night out. Shane Battier is also an upgrade over Stromile Swift and will bring in consistency and defense. Just to remind you, Kirk Snyder, Juwan Howard and Vassilis Spanouliss are no pushovers, either. The Rockets were threats to the Mavs before the Wells signing, and now with the acquisition, it might even be safe to say the Rockets are now the Mavs' biggest threats in the Western Conference.

I also see many posters questioning the team's health and pretty much guaranteeing that someone on the Rockets will go down to injuries. Please, no injury can be preforeseen and when we look at the teams on paper, what you get is what you see, not what "might" happen. And what are we doing? Talking about these teams on paper.
Rockets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2006, 06:34 PM   #124
nashtymavsfan13
Diamond Member

nashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockets
I've been reading this thread and it's sort of dawned on me that just like any other team-specific forum, this board is full of homeristic fans who downplay their rivals and try to boost their insecurity by repeatedly bashing the opponent. Coming from a board where homers are not rare, I know exactly what this is like.
Every team specific board has homeristic fans. I think that this board isn't as homeristic as many I've seen. The purpose of the board is for Mavs fans to talk about the team they love, so obviously there will be some homerism. I definetly am not underrating the Rockets, and when posters on this board say that they don't seem them as a threat and then bash them, it's because of how confident we are in our Mavs, not insecure.

Quote:
To downplay the Bonzi Wells signing as if it's trivial is really an understatement. The Rockets have long needed size and quickness on the wing. Please, after having David Wesley for two years, Bonzi Wells is a definite upgrade. Not only will he bring better defense and creating more matchup problems than Wesley, Wells will also provide the Rockets with a slasher and a consistent third scorer night in night out. Shane Battier is also an upgrade over Stromile Swift and will bring in consistency and defense. Just to remind you, Kirk Snyder, Juwan Howard and Vassilis Spanouliss are no pushovers, either. The Rockets were threats to the Mavs before the Wells signing, and now with the acquisition, it might even be safe to say the Rockets are now the Mavs' biggest threats in the Western Conference.
The Wells sigining is a very good signing for the Rockets. They were going to be tough this year with or without signing Wells, and having Wells is just going to make them tougher. I totally have to disagree with you here, the Spurs are the Mavs biggest threat in the Western Conference, and the Suns are even a bigger threat than the Rockets. The Rockets will be the 5th seed, and won't come close to passing the Mavs or Spurs in the division.

Quote:
I also see many posters questioning the team's health and pretty much guaranteeing that someone on the Rockets will go down to injuries. Please, no injury can be preforeseen and when we look at the teams on paper, what you get is what you see, not what "might" happen. And what are we doing? Talking about these teams on paper.
I agree with you here. Injuries are inevitable, but to say the Rockets won't be a threat due to them getting injured again isn't valid. I think that there is plenty of reasons to speculate that we think they won't go through the season healthy so we think they won't be as big a threat, but just dismissing them entirely is not right.

Overall, it's going to be quite a ride for both teams. Welcome to the board.

"He's as valuable as anyone. The most unusual thing is that they lose last year's MVP and still get better. It's unheard of."

"For a team as good as the Mavs, the regular season is just 82 practice games until the real season begins." -G-Man

"We wanted this for Dirk because of his heart, his class, his work ethic, his humility, his sense of humor, his respect for the game, and his respect for people."
Old 09-30-2006, 06:49 PM   #125
Rockets

Quote:
Originally Posted by nashtymavsfan13
Every team specific board has homeristic fans. I think that this board isn't as homeristic as many I've seen. The purpose of the board is for Mavs fans to talk about the team they love, so obviously there will be some homerism. I definetly am not underrating the Rockets, and when posters on this board say that they don't seem them as a threat and then bash them, it's because of how confident we are in our Mavs, not insecure.
As a Rockets fan, I have to admit my take on Houston may be more optimistic than yours, but it's evident a few here are simply refusing to look at the Rockets' moves in a fair light and knock it as much as they could. The way they're making it seem, trading for Anthony Johnson was a better move than the one the Rockets made in getting Wells.
Quote:
The Wells sigining is a very good signing for the Rockets. They were going to be tough this year with or without signing Wells, and having Wells is just going to make them tougher. I totally have to disagree with you here, the Spurs are the Mavs biggest threat in the Western Conference, and the Suns are even a bigger threat than the Rockets. The Rockets will be the 5th seed, and won't come close to passing the Mavs or Spurs in the division.
In terms of regular season record, the Suns and Spurs may do better, but if you could choose a series against either of these three teams, I'd say that the Rockets would be the biggest threat in a seven-game series. They match up very well with the Mavs and can go down the wire at every position. While the Suns and Spurs may be better in the team game, Nash can't beat you by himself and neither can Duncan. TMac can, and when you throw in Yao, Wells, Battier and Alston in that starting five, you'll be hard-pressed to find a team harder to face, with the exception of the Heat and Dwyane Wade.
Quote:
I agree with you here. Injuries are inevitable, but to say the Rockets won't be a threat due to them getting injured again isn't valid. I think that there is plenty of reasons to speculate that we think they won't go through the season healthy so we think they won't be as big a threat, but just dismissing them entirely is not right.
Ditto.
Quote:
Overall, it's going to be quite a ride for both teams. Welcome to the board.
Thank you. I was linked to this thread from another forum, looked specifically at this thread, and thought to back Roxfan up a little lol. When this thread is dead, it's safe to say I won't be around anymore. I'm a mod at one of the biggest general NBA boards so I won't have time to chat up with a rival team. I really like the activity and layout of this board though, you guys have a nice home.

Last edited by Rockets; 09-30-2006 at 07:03 PM.
Rockets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2006, 08:17 PM   #126
Five-ofan
Guru

Five-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
As a Rockets fan, I have to admit my take on Houston may be more optimistic than yours, but it's evident a few here are simply refusing to look at the Rockets' moves in a fair light and knock it as much as they could. The way they're making it seem, trading for Anthony Johnson was a better move than the one the Rockets made in getting Wells.
In terms of regular season record, the Suns and Spurs may do better, but if you could choose a series against either of these three teams, I'd say that the Rockets would be the biggest threat in a seven-game series. They match up very well with the Mavs and can go down the wire at every position. While the Suns and Spurs may be better in the team game, Nash can't beat you by himself and neither can Duncan. TMac can, and when you throw in Yao, Wells, Battier and Alston in that starting five, you'll be hard-pressed to find a team harder to face, with the exception of the Heat and Dwyane Wade.
Ditto.
Thank you. I was linked to this thread from another forum, looked specifically at this thread, and thought to back Roxfan up a little lol. When this thread is dead, it's safe to say I won't be around anymore. I'm a mod at one of the biggest general NBA boards so I won't have time to chat up with a rival team. I really like the activity and layout of this board though, you guys have a nice home.
I think you put WAY too much faith in tmac. You just said that Tmac can win a series by himself and Duncan cant. I was gonna say no offense and i dont mean it that way but its still gonna come off that way so sorry but here goes, that is one of if not the most moronic things i have ever seen in my life. Tmac has NEVER won a playoff series and Duncan has won 3 rings but Tmac can win a series by himself but duncan cant? Think about that. You simply cant intelligbly make an argument that a guy can win a series by himself when he has never won a series. You especially cant argue that he is more likely to do so than a guy with 3 rings with 3 differently assembled teams. That is the height of lunacy and I would hope you know that.

The thing about tmac is he is EXTREMELY inconsistent. Yes he can be unstoppable when he is hot. The problem is that the same thing that makes him unstoppable at times leads to his demise when he isnt going well. He has horrible shot selection. Yes it looks great and he is unstoppable when he is making those 29 ft 3s over a defender but the problem is that he keeps taking those shots. That always leads to him cooling off.
Five-ofan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2006, 08:51 PM   #127
Rockets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Five-ofan
I think you put WAY too much faith in tmac. You just said that Tmac can win a series by himself and Duncan cant. I was gonna say no offense and i dont mean it that way but its still gonna come off that way so sorry but here goes, that is one of if not the most moronic things i have ever seen in my life. Tmac has NEVER won a playoff series and Duncan has won 3 rings but Tmac can win a series by himself but duncan cant? Think about that. You simply cant intelligbly make an argument that a guy can win a series by himself when he has never won a series. You especially cant argue that he is more likely to do so than a guy with 3 rings with 3 differently assembled teams. That is the height of lunacy and I would hope you know that.

The thing about tmac is he is EXTREMELY inconsistent. Yes he can be unstoppable when he is hot. The problem is that the same thing that makes him unstoppable at times leads to his demise when he isnt going well. He has horrible shot selection. Yes it looks great and he is unstoppable when he is making those 29 ft 3s over a defender but the problem is that he keeps taking those shots. That always leads to him cooling off.
Apparently you're seeing something I'm not, because nowhere in my post did I mention that TMac can win a series by himself. I did say, however, that TMac can will a team to a win by himself in a game. Need proof? Look at game 1 of the 2005 series, when TMac pretty much singlehandly scored 34 in a game where Yao Ming disappeared and Mike James was the only other bright spot. How about game 2 where TMac scored 37? This guy, when motivated, can give the Trail Blazers a shot at contending for the playoffs. What about that miraculous comeback victory over the Spurs where TMac had 13 in 35? What about the big shoot-off between him and Dirk when the Rockets lost, but TMac managed 48 and made that Rockets team look nothing like the pathetic underachievers they were before in that season? Needlessly to say, the Rockets went on a big surge after that. What I meant in that post was that TMac, when focused, can singlehandly will a team to a victory. Did I mention "series" anywhere?

TMac's a smart player. I don't know how much of him you've seen but when he's perfectly healthy (and which he is right now, FYI), you'll rarely see him hang out on the perimeter for a whole game and look disinterested in attacking the rim. If he's taking long threes and misses three times in a row, he'll start attacking the rim and draw fouls. Every superstar, from Kobe to Lebron to Wade, know that, and that's what TMac is. A superstar.

I don't want to start any flame wars or something, but you can certainly expect a reply like this when you question my sanity. So here it goes.

Maybe you should learn to read and don't try to put words in my mouth? Your reply was without a doubt the most idiotic thing I've seen in my life.
Old 09-30-2006, 09:03 PM   #128
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Maybe you should learn to read and don't try to put words in my mouth? Your reply was without a doubt the most idiotic thing I've seen in my life.

Meeeeoooowwww!

Don't throw rocks in glass houses...

[you should have ended one sentence earlier & bowed out as the better man...]

These days being a fan is a competition to see who can be the most upset when
your team loses. That proves you love winning more. That's how it works.

Last edited by Underdog; 09-30-2006 at 09:15 PM.
Underdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2006, 09:33 PM   #129
nashtymavsfan13
Diamond Member

Quote:
The Spurs are a lot tougher over a 7 game series than the Rockets. Without question.

Old 09-30-2006, 11:06 PM   #130
Just211
Platinum Member

Just211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to all

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote :I've been reading this thread and it's sort of dawned on me that just like any other team-specific forum, this board is full of homeristic fans who downplay their rivals and try to boost their insecurity by repeatedly bashing the opponent.

I don't think so, for the most part I think most fans on this board do not downplay the Spurs and Suns.
they are rivals.
Old 09-30-2006, 11:11 PM   #131
Just211
Platinum Member

Just211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDiggler
Crazy....what do the Rockets need then?
Well a PG, and athletic PF.
I think the Batier trade was a great move. But The Rockets are a poor mans Lakers (old lakers)
Kobe and Shaq
TMac and Yao
Point being Tmac is like Kobe and doesn't need another guy that will take the ball out of his hands. They need great role players, and a lot more luck with injuries.
Old 10-01-2006, 02:26 PM   #132
Five-ofan
Guru

Five-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond repute

When you say that the rockets are the most dangerous team in a 7 game series and its because nash cant beat you by himself and neither can duncan, BUT TMAC CAN, that is pretty darn similar to saying tmac can win a series by himself. If thats not how you meant it then it has no relevance to your point.
Old 10-01-2006, 04:14 PM   #133
alby
Guru

alby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond repute

nice banner Rockets

but if I were a rockets fan, I would definitely not include a picture of van gundy

Contact Me
Twitter: www.twitter.com/alnguyen84
Facebook: www.facebook.com/alnguyen84
alby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2006, 04:14 PM   #134
alby
Guru

alby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
When you say that the rockets are the most dangerous team in a 7 game series and its because nash cant beat you by himself and neither can duncan, BUT TMAC CAN, that is pretty darn similar to saying tmac can win a series by himself. If thats not how you meant it then it has no relevance to your point.
Tmac has never been out of the first round in his life. =)

Contact Me
Old 10-01-2006, 04:17 PM   #135
alby
Guru

Btw, i love how we have some rocket fans on this board now...

it will be more enjoyable when the Mavs finish ahead of the Rockets and when T-Mac wonders why he can't get out of the dang first round

When healthy, I believe T-Mac is a top5 player in the NBA but until he shows he can win in the playoffs, it is nothing but hype to me.

Contact Me
Old 10-01-2006, 04:18 PM   #136
Five-ofan
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by alby
Tmac has never been out of the first round in his life. =)
I know that. That was my point.
Old 10-01-2006, 04:18 PM   #137
Five-ofan
Guru

Quote:
Btw, i love how we have some rocket fans on this board now...

it will be more enjoyable when the Mavs finish ahead of the Rockets and when T-Mac wonders why he can't get out of the dang first round

When healthy, I believe T-Mac is a top5 player in the NBA but until he shows he can win in the playoffs, it is nothing but hype to me.
Lebron James, Kobe Bryant, DWade, Dirk Nowitzki, Tim Duncan in no particular order are all clearly better than tmac.
Old 10-01-2006, 04:20 PM   #138
bernardos70
Diamond Member

bernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Wells, who turned 30 on September 20, has career averages of 12.8 rebounds and 4.7 points in 490 games with the Portland Trial Blazers, Grizzlies and Kings.

That's one heck of a rebounder for a guy who's 6'5"

Last edited by bernardos70; 10-01-2006 at 04:21 PM.
bernardos70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2006, 06:34 PM   #139
nashtymavsfan13
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bernardos70
[/b][/size]

That's one heck of a rebounder for a guy who's 6'5"
Yeah, Bonzi is a very solid rebounder.

Old 10-01-2006, 06:36 PM   #140
Five-ofan
Guru

Quote:
Yeah, Bonzi is a very solid rebounder.
He was making fun of the fact that the original qoute had the points and rebounds reversed.
Old 10-01-2006, 06:36 PM   #141
nashtymavsfan13
Diamond Member

Quote:
He was making fun of the fact that the original qoute had the points and rebounds reversed.
Haha, I didn't notice that. I just looked at the numbers.

Old 10-01-2006, 07:35 PM   #142
alby
Guru

dwayne wade is not a top 5 player, wow.

Contact Me
Old 10-01-2006, 08:41 PM   #143
nashtymavsfan13
Diamond Member

Quote:
dwayne wade is not a top 5 player, wow.
are you kidding? we all hate him, but you have to at least acknowledge that.

Old 10-01-2006, 09:19 PM   #144
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute

This move vaults Houston into the top four teams in the conference.
Old 10-01-2006, 09:45 PM   #145
fluid.forty.one

fluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
While the Suns and Spurs may be better in the team game, Nash can't beat you by himself and neither can Duncan. TMac can
LOL Duncan is 5x more dominant than Tmac, even when Tmac is hot.

Last edited by fluid.forty.one; 10-01-2006 at 09:45 PM.
fluid.forty.one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2006, 10:14 PM   #146
Five-ofan
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by chumdawg
This move vaults Houston into the top four teams in the conference.
I would generally agree with that but i think they would have been probably a top 4 team anyway. Dallas, SA, Phoenix and then to be honest the rest of the west really isnt that great.
Old 10-01-2006, 10:37 PM   #147
alby
Guru

Quote:
are you kidding? we all hate him, but you have to at least acknowledge that.
dwayne wade is not a top 5 player in the nba

the man couldn't even hit a wide open 15 foot jumpshot for his country last month

the man is a terrible one on one defender who just makes those highlight plays ala iverson with his gambling

can he be a top 5 player in this league? yes.
is he on his way to being a top 5 player in the league? after 5+ seasons of what he did last year, yes.

people always label someone the second coming or whatnot after one or two seasons in the NBA when we have all seen countless times the "next Jordan" not live up to expectations or go down with an injury.

is dwayne wade a talent? hell yes, extremely athletic and his speed is his biggest weapon. but for being as athletic as he is, he should be a much more solid on the ball defender and for the amount of room guys give him on the perimeter, he should shoot the jumper with much better consistency.

Contact Me

Last edited by alby; 10-01-2006 at 10:50 PM.
Old 10-01-2006, 10:54 PM   #148
chumdawg
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluid.forty.one
LOL Duncan is 5x more dominant than Tmac, even when Tmac is hot.
Not when T-Mac is hot, bro. When T-Mac is hot he will hang a half a hundred on you by himself, and his team will win nine times out of ten. Remember the first round in '05? That horse strapped a saddle on.

Duncan is a guy you have to pay attention to every time down, but he's a guy that you CAN pay attention to. If you want to take Duncan out of the game, all you have to do is do it. You can't take a hot T-Mac out of a game, even if you want to.

And you will want to. You will really, really want to.
Old 10-01-2006, 11:11 PM   #149
Tokey41
Platinum Member

Tokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to behold

Lots of questions about Tmac right now, I dont think he will be as effective as he was against us last time around... as far as im concerned hes definitely on the decline with that back problem but thats not to say he wont still be a good player this coming year if healthy... it just won't be as easy as it used to.

Although I have to admit his remarkable hot streak against the Spurs is one of my all time favorite moments, he wont do that against us. Im honestly more worried about Yao at this point considering his later season dominance. He needs to get tougher if he wants to be dominant against our bigs though.
Tokey41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2006, 11:13 PM   #150
alby
Guru

I don't think we can assume anything. We really don't know if he has declined or not, therefore we are going on what we saw before his injuries last season -- single handedly almost got out of the first round. =p

Contact Me
Old 10-01-2006, 11:13 PM   #151
alby
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tokey41
Lots of questions about Tmac right now, I dont think he will be as effective as he was against us last time around... as far as im concerned hes definitely on the decline with that back problem but thats not to say he wont still be a good player this coming year if healthy... it just won't be as easy as it used to.

Although I have to admit his remarkable hot streak against the Spurs is one of my all time favorite moments, he wont do that against us. Im honestly more worried about Yao at this point considering his later season dominance. He needs to get tougher if he wants to be dominant against our bigs though.
totally agree with yao, that guy is very good and only getting better

Contact Me
Old 10-01-2006, 11:19 PM   #152
nikeball
Platinum Member

nikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond repute

Rockets fans are going to find out what Mavs fans found out a couple of years ago. You can sign as many superstars as you want and until you have the right chemistry you wont win.

for example..Yao and Tmac...Inside and Outside game. Great Chemistry? I don't really think they do. Tmac's game is now hoisting 5-6 Threes per game as well as alot of outside jumpers. his FG % has always been low from 40-43%. Before when he attacked the rim he was one of the most deadliest players in the league. I always said his left hand is amazing. This past year when i watched rockets games it seemed as if tmac would have a great game or yao would. they never were in sync/had great games together.

lets go back to a couple of years or this year with Kobe/Dwade and Shaq
inside outside game is tremendous. constant movement. kobe/dwade cutting to the rim or dribble penetration...attacking it. I never see Tmac cut to the rim after feeding yao. he seems to always sit along the 3 point line and hoist up jumpers. That couldve been 'stromile swift and cato or whomever clogging the lanes but it rarely happened.

also last year all houston friends were screaming for the championship after signing stromile/derek anderson because they were the missing pieces. where are both of them now? traded and cut?

And about dwade being a top 5 player in the league.

With fouls calls he definately is. because that leads to him having a consistent jumper.

but either way my top 5:
dirk, kobe, nash, duncan, lebron/wade (whoever is hitting their jumper that night)
nikeball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2006, 11:19 PM   #153
nikeball
Platinum Member

nikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond repute

and i do love yao.
nikeball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2006, 11:40 PM   #154
fluid.forty.one

fluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Not when T-Mac is hot, bro. When T-Mac is hot he will hang a half a hundred on you by himself, and his team will win nine times out of ten. Remember the first round in '05? That horse strapped a saddle on.

Duncan is a guy you have to pay attention to every time down, but he's a guy that you CAN pay attention to. If you want to take Duncan out of the game, all you have to do is do it. You can't take a hot T-Mac out of a game, even if you want to.

Duncan, bad foot and all, put up 30/40 points a night on us during the playoffs. This is a Duncan that is hurt.

I'm more scared of a guy who can hang 30/40 every night than someone who can do 50 maybe once/twice a series.

Was dumb of the guy to even compare the two in playoff form. Tmac has gone nowhere, Duncan has gone all the way.. 3 times. I get what you're saying, Tmac just doesn't go off frequently enough to worry me. He'll never go past the second round (maybe even the first).
fluid.forty.one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2006, 12:14 AM   #155
chumdawg
Guru

Duncan put up 30 to 40 a night, while TMac went off only once or twice in the series? As Parcells would say, you better do some multiplication!

TMac is pretty much my favorite non-Maverick or non-former-Maverick (lot of those, these days) in the league. The guy is sensational. He can take over a game like Kobe can, but he doesn't rape people. (At least not that I know of.) He is a tremendous, tremendous basketball player. Can play four positions on the offensive end, and has terrific range on the defensive end, with his long arms and good sense of the flow of the game. Can step up and cover a Dirk in a playoff series, effectively, while still scoring forty or more on the other end. And humble all the time.'

These guys...do not grow on trees.

The Rockets will be formidable next year. I wouldn't bet a dollar that the Mavericks will have a better record. The Rockets are going to be that good.
Old 10-02-2006, 12:30 AM   #156
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Flacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond repute

I hope you're wrong Chum.

But it just reinforces what I've been thinking this week....

The Mavs finishing #3 in the division is a possibility.

Thats right.

I said it.

It all depends on Houston....b/c no matter what happens, there is no way on gods green F'ing earth, that the Spurs aren't finishing 1 or 2 in the division. I hate them, but that's just the way that it is.

The Spurs are out for blood.

They want it bad.....
Old 10-02-2006, 01:01 AM   #157
chumdawg
Guru

The Mavs might win 55 and finish third in the division. Damn straight it's a possibility. They better lace 'em up tight and get down to business. This division is going to be a bear.

I have been on board before as saying the Spurs were ready to decline, and I'm not backing away from it now. They certainly won't see 60 again. They will be around 55, though. As will the Rockets and the Mavericks. It's going to be a dogfight.
Old 10-02-2006, 02:18 AM   #158
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

Thespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond repute

Chum, you could certainly be right, but if the Rockets end up being as good as you say they will be, don't be surprised if Yao is the guy that carries them there, not T-Mac.
Thespiralgoeson is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2006, 02:53 AM   #159
chumdawg
Guru

Oh, I certainly wouldn't dismiss Yao. But Yao isn't going anywhere without a backcourt player to share the load. If the Rockets get home court, like I think they will, it will be because of both players.

And why shouldn't it?
Old 10-02-2006, 07:32 AM   #160
Five-ofan
Guru

Quote:

thats the thing, when tmac is hot he could very well be the scariest player in the league. The problem is, hes not consistent with it. He takes moronic shots which is why you cant take him out of the game when hes hot. A guy with a 40 inch vert who is 6-8 and will shoot it from 28 feet is unstoppable when thats going in. But shooting it so often is why one of the 5 most athletic people in the nba shoots 43%.

As for defense, at one point in time, he was THE best player in the nba defensively. I firmly believe that when he played for toronto, he was better than ron artest is now defensively. Those days have long since passed though. Yes he can still D up for short spurts but for the most part he sucks now because he just doesnt/cant give the effort on that end.

In Bill Simmons Trade value thing about 3 years ago he summed it up best though i disagree with the other player he used. He said that Tmac is content to be the guy who could be the best player in the league if he worked at it while pierce is the guy who is going to work to make himself in the best player in the leauge(his celtic homerism is a little obvious here). Switch pierce with kobe and i think thats a fairly true statement.