Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 07-06-2006, 05:03 PM   #121
Captain Disaster

Captain Disaster is a jewel in the roughCaptain Disaster is a jewel in the roughCaptain Disaster is a jewel in the rough

Amen. Shooting guard is the easiest position to fill in the NBA. Hopefully, someone will be available when James goes to Houston.
Captain Disaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-06-2006, 05:03 PM   #122
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluid.forty.one
I don't get the huge forum blast that mike james has caushed. Here AND dallasbasketball.com has only talked about mike james for the past two weeks, and nothing else. He's not *that* good. If we get him, cool we have our scoring problem fixed, if we dont get him then we'll get someone else.

Just saying I'm not losing any sleep over this. They let Quis go, so I'm sure they have something up their sleve for the 1/2 spot.
Nothing else to talk about man.
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
dude1394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2006, 05:09 PM   #123
fluid.forty.one

fluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond repute

Hmm good point.

We could discuss who wears the "pants" in the bedroom, Avery or his wife?
fluid.forty.one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2006, 05:22 PM   #124
Eman

Eman is a name known to allEman is a name known to allEman is a name known to allEman is a name known to allEman is a name known to allEman is a name known to allEman is a name known to allEman is a name known to allEman is a name known to all

On Galloway and Co., I heard that Minnesota has now offered James 4 years for the mid-level. We may have to up our offer to 4 years or lose James to the Twolves.
Eman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2006, 05:26 PM   #125
big_pth
Diamond Member

big_pth is a name known to allbig_pth is a name known to allbig_pth is a name known to allbig_pth is a name known to allbig_pth is a name known to allbig_pth is a name known to allbig_pth is a name known to allbig_pth is a name known to allbig_pth is a name known to allbig_pth is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNNF
This year is a SAD free agency year when Mike James is the top of free agent list.
Ben Wallace was top of this list...But he is signed already...So did Peja the Euro...
big_pth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2006, 05:38 PM   #126
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

DevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond repute

Realgm is reporting Houston is gonna get him for 5 years 30 mil. If that's true, then it is too much. I'll pass. If free agents don't want to be on a team that was 2 games from a championship, then it will always be their loss.

DevinHarriswillstart is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2006, 05:40 PM   #127
Nash13
Diamond Member

Nash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dtownsfinest
Its something with this team that players don't like. There are only two things still here since the late 90's when the Mavericks became contenders again and that's Dirk and Cuban. Not saying they're what is unnattractive to free agents but i'd like to think that players just don't want any part of Cuban. That's a bold assumption but if Dirk, Fin and Nash had problems with their owners antics then its a possibility that players around the league do as well.

Missing out on James doesn't hurt that bad for me though I think we could've used his scoring losing out on him isn't what bothers me. Its the fact that he chose to go to a team that got rid of him and sent him to Toronto over a team who was 2 games away from winning a championship.

As far as signing Dampier and Diop in the past seasons well Diop wasn't developed at all which is why we got him for a bargain price. He's come along pretty well now and I think had he been a free agent now he may have gotten the full midlevel if not more. Dampier on the other hand was just us being the only team dumb enough to give him that contract. I think even Isiah Thomas said "Oh hellllllll naaaaawwww" to that contract lol.

I always enjoy reading your post. That being said, did you put any thought in this?

1st, i think you should be glad the only people left since 7yrs ago is Dirk and Cuban. The only people left in San Antonio from 7yrs ago is Pop and Duncan. The only person left in Pheonix from 7yrs ago is Shawn Marion. Zo is the only person from the Heat in the past 7yrs, and even he's been on 2 teams since. No one from Detroit was there 7yrs ago. Teams change for the better.

And what exactly is it about Cuban that'll make a player not want to play in Dallas? His nice personality? His Hi-tech equipment he puts in the locker room? Him always backing his players? I mean, players hate the idea of working for him so much that both Shaq and TMac publicly came out and said they want to play for him. Just b/c you obviously don't like him doesn't mean players around the league don't.

And while i'm at it, i'd wish you'd stop saying agents keep using Dallas as bargaining chips, it's just not smart. Players that are actually worth a darn don't need other teams to bring out there worth. Take Rashard Lewis for example. At the time of that free agency, i believe the MLE was just under 5million. I'm sure his agent thought to himself, "hmm, now that Dallas offered under 5million a year, we can get the Sonics to give up over twice as much." I mean, believe it or not, players might negotiate with Dallas b/c they actually might want to play in Dallas but circumstances like money (Lewis, James), restrictions (Redd), starting (Swift) might sway them in a different direction.

And while i'm at it, what kind of elite team even needs to go after marquee free agents? With the exceptions of Nash and maybe Billups, teams either draft players, trade for player, and/or have internal development.

I'll agree with you about Diop, but disagree about Damp. When he was a free agent, Indiana, Memphis, New York, Washington, and Atlanta were eyeing him. Atlanta even offered a 6yr/60million contract, which is sort of similar to his current. And Issah saying no to a bad contract? This is the same guy giving max money to the likes of Jalen Rose and Penny Hardaway.
The wind rises electric. She's soft and warm and almost weightless. Her perfume is sweet promise that brings tears to my eyes. I tell her that everything will be all right; that I'll save her from whatever she's scared and take her far far away. I tell her that I love her. The silencer makes a whisper of the gunshot. I hold her close until she's gone. I'll never know what she was running from. I'll cash her check in the morning.

~The Salesman
Nash13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2006, 06:20 PM   #128
Rhylan
Minister of Soul

Rhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond repute

If Houston gives James 5 years, they just be stupid. Go on wityoself, Houston. Give the prostitute a home.
Rhylan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2006, 06:29 PM   #129
fluid.forty.one

fluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhylan
If Houston gives James 5 years, they just be stupid. Go on wityoself, Houston. Give the prostitute a home.
Especially after they just traded young for old with Battier.
Old 07-06-2006, 06:33 PM   #130
mattyd
Banned

mattyd is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by jthig32
If the contract is 5 years then count your blessings that he's not here.
Exactly! I don't want a 36 year old Mike James limping up and down the court - a la Nick Van Exel this year.
mattyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2006, 07:22 PM   #131
Rhylan
Minister of Soul

Rhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluid.forty.one
Especially after they just traded young for old with Battier.
I wouldn't call Battier old. I wouldn't call Mike James old. I'll call him old towards the end of this hypothetical contract.
Rhylan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2006, 07:39 PM   #132
fluid.forty.one

That's what I meant. If they are keeping James until he's 36/37, Batter won't look as good either.
Old 07-06-2006, 07:55 PM   #133
DubOverdose
Diamond Member

DubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant future

James won't even be scoring 12 a game in 5 years...what a waste. He might not even be scoring 12 this next season.
DubOverdose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2006, 08:15 PM   #134
Nash13
Diamond Member

Nash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud of

James isn't going to play any different of a role than he did two seasons ago. Especially in the playoffs, he's going to mainly be a spotup shooter.
The wind rises electric. She's soft and warm and almost weightless. Her perfume is sweet promise that brings tears to my eyes. I tell her that everything will be all right; that I'll save her from whatever she's scared and take her far far away. I tell her that I love her. The silencer makes a whisper of the gunshot. I hold her close until she's gone. I'll never know what she was running from. I'll cash her check in the morning.

~The Salesman
Nash13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2006, 08:46 PM   #135
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute

When is this hobo gonna sign already? Brutha needs to eat!
chumdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2006, 11:31 PM   #136
nashtymavsfan13
Diamond Member

nashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant future

Has it been confirmed that he signed with Houston, or is he just leaning that way?

"He's as valuable as anyone. The most unusual thing is that they lose last year's MVP and still get better. It's unheard of."

"For a team as good as the Mavs, the regular season is just 82 practice games until the real season begins." -G-Man

"We wanted this for Dirk because of his heart, his class, his work ethic, his humility, his sense of humor, his respect for the game, and his respect for people."
nashtymavsfan13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2006, 11:33 PM   #137
Drbio
Banned

Drbio is an unknown quantity at this point

Someone on another baord said James was flying from Vegas to Houston tonight if that means anything.

Of course that could also be typical internet bullhockey.
Drbio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2006, 11:37 PM   #138
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drbio
Someone on another baord said James was flying from Vegas to Houston tonight if that means anything.

Of course that could also be typical internet bullhockey.
if its an aggie, he's going to New york and not Houston, its not Mike James but the ghost of Rick James and he's not flying in a plane but riding a unicycle with a flat tire.

Last edited by EricaLubarsky; 07-06-2006 at 11:37 PM.
EricaLubarsky is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2006, 11:44 PM   #139
Drbio
Banned

This just posted by "V" at LMF.

Houston & Dallas will meet with James' agent again tomorrow, Toronto on Monday.
Old 07-07-2006, 12:18 AM   #140
V
Golden Member

V has a spectacular aura aboutV has a spectacular aura about

Source is confirmed. It's Marc Berman from Houston Channel 26 Fox sports

"If there's no more questions, I've got a beer that needs consuming."
-- Don Nelson
V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2006, 12:27 AM   #141
Drbio
Banned

Thanks for the news.
Old 07-07-2006, 12:30 AM   #142
fluid.forty.one

Ok so who is left for us to get?
Old 07-07-2006, 03:24 AM   #143
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubOverdose
James won't even be scoring 12 a game in 5 years...what a waste. He might not even be scoring 12 this next season.
he did not score 12 a game two seasons ago...

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"
sike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2006, 04:26 AM   #144
nashtymavsfan13
Diamond Member

nashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant future

Wait so is they are meeting with him today, so we still have a chance at signing him, right?

"He's as valuable as anyone. The most unusual thing is that they lose last year's MVP and still get better. It's unheard of."

"For a team as good as the Mavs, the regular season is just 82 practice games until the real season begins." -G-Man

"We wanted this for Dirk because of his heart, his class, his work ethic, his humility, his sense of humor, his respect for the game, and his respect for people."
nashtymavsfan13 is offline   Reply With Quote