Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Everything Else > Other Sports Talk

View Poll Results: Who should be next Cowboys Coach??
Keep Wade Phillips 4 8.51%
Hire Bill Cowher 25 53.19%
Hire Jimmy Johnson 4 8.51%
Promote Jason Garrett to Head Coach 4 8.51%
Hire someone else(3rd party) 10 21.28%
Voters: 47. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-10-2010, 11:45 PM   #121
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

I actually think Garrett will be someone who demands accountability and is a bit of a hard ass. He's always struck me as that type, at least. Not fiery, but hard. And I don't think it's a coincidence that we're hearing that the locker room doesn't like him.

The problem though, is Jerry. Jerry is the main reason this team needs an established, respected coach. It needs a coach that can tell Jerry to go F himself when players try to go over the coach to him. And Garrett just isn't going to be able to do that.

THAT'S the main reason they need a Cowher or Gruden, imo.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com
jthig32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-11-2010, 12:52 AM   #122
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

Male30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by jthig32 View Post
I actually think Garrett will be someone who demands accountability and is a bit of a hard ass. He's always struck me as that type, at least. Not fiery, but hard. And I don't think it's a coincidence that we're hearing that the locker room doesn't like him.

The problem though, is Jerry. Jerry is the main reason this team needs an established, respected coach. It needs a coach that can tell Jerry to go F himself when players try to go over the coach to him. And Garrett just isn't going to be able to do that.

What instances do you have of guys going over Wade to get to Jerry for football related problems? And even Parcells didn't tell Jerry to f himself. The last coach to do that was Jimmy, and look where that got him (despite Super Bowl victorieS).

Unfortunately, no one tells Jerry to f himself and lives to coach this team. He is the man here, regardless how you or I feel about that. The good that comes from a respected coach outside of the football field is that Jerry doesn't feel the need to get as involved or speak to the public quite as much because he doesn't want to step on those respected toes. Respect is ultimately what is gained by Jerry, not fear of outbreaks.

Regarding Garrett - he is a little bitch. A ginger bitch. He will lose AT LEAST 5 of the next 8 games and his tenure here will be over. Stop even worrying about him. Stop talking about him. He will be gone soon enough. Well, not soon enough, but gone soon.

Last edited by jthig32; 11-11-2010 at 12:54 AM.
Male30Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 12:55 AM   #123
FINtastic
Diamond Member

FINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

Yeah, from the sounds of it he's actually putting them to work, focusing on the details, and holding them accountable. That's a welcome change from where I'm sitting.

I don't know if anyone else has heard his press conferences, but he is pretty well spoken and seems to have a bit of a commanding presence when speaking.

Granted, we still haven't played a game so I have no idea if this stuff will translate to the football field. But I think things got way too lax around here as Wade let the players enjoy their success a little too much. Garrett from all accounts is very focused on the details so at the very least it looks like we'll have some accountability back in Dallas.

"Ok, Go Mavericks!"
-Avery Johnson

Last edited by FINtastic; 11-11-2010 at 12:56 AM.
FINtastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 12:58 AM   #124
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Male29Dan View Post
Unfortunately, no one tells Jerry to f himself and lives to coach this team. He is the man here, regardless how you or I feel about that. The good that comes from a respected coach outside of the football field is that Jerry doesn't feel the need to get as involved or speak to the public quite as much because he doesn't want to step on those respected toes. Respect is ultimately what is gained by Jerry, not fear of outbreaks.
This.

Quote:
Regarding Garrett - he is a little bitch. A ginger bitch.
And this.

These days being a fan is a competition to see who can be the most upset when
your team loses. That proves you love winning more. That's how it works.
Underdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 12:58 AM   #125
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
What instances do you have of guys going over Wade to get to Jerry for football related problems? And even Parcells didn't tell Jerry to f himself. The last coach to do that was Jimmy, and look where that got him (despite Super Bowl victorieS).

Regarding Garrett - he is a little bitch. A ginger bitch. He will lose AT LEAST 5 of the next 8 games and his tenure here will be over. Stop even worrying about him. Stop talking about him. He will be gone soon enough. Well, not soon enough, but gone soon.
I disagree that it's a case of Jerry "not feeling the need" with a respected a head coach. I would guess that it's more like Jerry has no choice, because a respected coach isn't going to put up with him being as involved as he is with Wade. That's what I meant by telling him to screw off.

We're saying essentially the same thing though. I don't think just being a hard ass will be enough here. We need an established hard ass.

I do actually think that Garrett will be a good head coach somewhere if he gets a chance. But not here.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com
jthig32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 01:00 AM   #126
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
We're saying essentially the same thing though. I don't think just being a hard ass will be enough here. We need an established hard ass.
And this too.

Old 11-11-2010, 01:52 AM   #127
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

Male30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I disagree that it's a case of Jerry "not feeling the need" with a respected a head coach. I would guess that it's more like Jerry has no choice, because a respected coach isn't going to put up with him being as involved as he is with Wade. That's what I meant by telling him to screw off.

I do actually think that Garrett will be a good head coach somewhere if he gets a chance. But not here.
Fair enough - apparently I misinterpreted what you meant by the coach telling Jerry to go F himself. For the record, I don't think it has even a smidgen to do with the coach not putting up with Jerry. In my humble opinion it has everything to do with Jerry simply respecting the coach.

Jones isn't stupid - he knows when respect is warranted and as long as the coach doesn't cross the line with him the coach gets his respect and the warranted freedom (when deserved).

But yeah, in the end we are saying the same thing. Down with Ginger and on to a respected and fierce coach in the off-season.
Old 11-11-2010, 02:18 AM   #128
dirno2000
Diamond Member

dirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond repute

Garret's going to do better than people think. He's a bright guy, he has a presence and he's been around some great football minds. There's a reason that Baltimore and Atlanta wanted to hire him.

He's in a tough position but of he can even remotely turn this thing around I see so reason to jettison him for a coach that can mean mug for the camera.
Old 11-11-2010, 02:24 AM   #129
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

Thespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

I don't doubt that Garret will demand accountability. My problem with Garret isn't that I think his personality is too soft. I just think the man makes bad decisions. There's been plenty of times in the past 4 years when I thought the Cowboys lost a game for no other reason than bone-headed playcalling from Jason Garret. And this is just pure speculation on my part, but I think the reason the players supposedly don't like Garret isn't that he's a hardass, but because they just don't have any confidence in his abilities as a coach (like I don't.) He's just made too many IDIOTIC decisions during his tenure here. I mean, supposedly Joe DeCamillis is the biggest hardass on the entire staff, but everyone seems to love him.

So I just don't buy this argument that the players simply not liking Garret is by itself evidence that he's a capable head coach. Sure, he's more authoritative than Wade, but that's really not saying much. I think Woody Allen would coach this team with more authority and confidence than Wade did. Garret may or may not be good at motivating players. I don't know. But either way, I have absolutely no confidence whatsoever in his decision-making or game-management skills.
Thespiralgoeson is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 02:25 AM   #130
FINtastic
Diamond Member

FINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirno2000 View Post
Garret's going to do better than people think. He's a bright guy, he has a presence and he's been around some great football minds. There's a reason that Baltimore and Atlanta wanted to hire him.

He's in a tough position but of he can even remotely turn this thing around I see so reason to jettison him for a coach that can mean mug for the camera.
I tend to agree with this. Heck if he can get this team to give effort, that's a nice moral victory as far as I'm concerned. If he manages to go .500 over these last eight games, I wouldn't be surprised at all to see him pacing the sidelines next year.

I post at a Cowboys message board where the administrator has some ties to the organization in some way (I know he is friends with a player or two). He is very excited about Garrett being made head coach, and I wouldn't consider him an emotional guy. That's enough to pique my interest in the last half of the season to see if Garrett can't turn this thing around a little bit.

"Ok, Go Mavericks!"
-Avery Johnson

Last edited by FINtastic; 11-11-2010 at 02:28 AM.
Old 11-11-2010, 02:41 AM   #131
FINtastic
Diamond Member

Source - http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d...e=HP_headlines

Quote:
Garrett all business during first day as Cowboys coach

IRVING, Texas -- Jason Garrett stood with his arms crossed watching the special teamers work on punting, then he wandered over to defensive players walking onto the field and greeted them with fist bumps and handshakes.

Offense, defense and special teams -- they all work for him now.

Two days after being promoted from offensive coordinator to interim head coach, Garrett ran the Dallas Cowboys for the first time Wednesday and immediately began doing things his way.

The workday started 45 minutes earlier than under his predecessor, Wade Phillips. The workout was in full pads, something Phillips rarely did, even in training camp. Everyone ran from drill to drill, which only Garrett's offense used to do.

"Nobody sitting on the coolers, stuff like that," defensive end Stephen Bowen said. "Just everybody alert, paying attention."

There were no card games or dominoes being played in the locker room during lunch. Asked whether it was a coincidence that this club's favorite midday diversion had ceased on the new boss' first day, receiver Roy Williams smiled and said, "The locker room is clean, too, ain't it?"

It remains to be seen -- starting Sunday in the Meadowlands against the Giants -- whether any of this will matter in a 1-7 season many consider lost. But Garrett has clearly begun the "culture change" owner Jerry Jones demanded when he shook things up Monday. Even Phillips' staunchest supporters said they like the new routine.

"I believe in Jason Garrett," said defensive captain Keith Brooking, who signed with Dallas before the 2009 season specifically to play for Phillips, his defensive coordinator in Atlanta.

"There is zero gray area there. It is black and white, very direct and to the point. No misunderstanding. I've been hit in the head a lot, but I could understand what he is saying when he stood up there and communicated to our football team. I believe in anybody like that."

Garrett's message also was received by cornerback Mike Jenkins, who's been pointed to all week as the poster child for the lackadaisical attitude that festered under Phillips. In the third quarter of the team's latest blowout loss, Jenkins didn't bother trying to tackle a Green Bay running back inside the 5-yard line even though he had a shot at him.

"The thing I got from Jason today is if you don't do it, we got somebody to replace you, no matter who you are," Jenkins said. "If you don't learn it, you on the bench. ... It's a new day for me. It's a new day for everybody. It's a new coach, a new start. That is what we are focused on right now. We are going to run with it."

Garrett declined to reveal any lineup changes or even whether any might be coming. Through two news conferences, he's made it pretty clear that he will not be very forthcoming with information.

"We're going to do everything we can to play the best people," he said. "That'll be a thing we constantly evaluate. We'll make those changes available to you if and when they do happen."

Some changes are coming because of injuries.

Defensive end Marcus Spears and kick returner Akwasi Owusu-Ansah were placed on season-ending injured reserve Wednesday. Their roster spots went to defensive linemen Jeremy Clark and Jimmy Saddler-McQueen. Dallas needs depth on defense because ends Sean Lissemore (ankle) and Jason Hatcher (groin) are expected to be out.

Linebackers Bradie James (knee) and Anthony Spencer (neck) also missed practice. Garrett was vague about whether they will be ready.

Garrett wore a gray shirt, royal blue sweat pants and his usual, sweat-stained Cowboys hat commemorating the 50th anniversary of the franchise's founding in 1960. He had cards tucked into his front and back waistband, likely trying to keep track of more scripts and schedules than ever before.

His greetings for the defensive players were important. Although he's been offensive coordinator for 3½ years, he'd never had more than a few words in passing with some of them. They'd never seen him in charge, either.

"He was active with everybody," Jenkins said. "He was showing leadership he was supposed to bring to this team. I think everybody liked it."

Garrett knew everyone was watching everything he did Wednesday and was conscious of trying to set the right tone. If it was businesslike, then so be it.

At 44, he is a head coach for the first time, but he's only guaranteed eight games to show Jones he deserves the job beyond this season. And he must do it with a club that's lost seven of eight and has a 38-year-old, fill-in quarterback.

"We have to learn from the things that didn't go well, have to build on the things that did go well and go forward," Garrett said. "The challenges are ahead. So we needed to have a great day at practice and meetings today, have a great one tomorrow and get ready for the Giants on Sunday."

"Ok, Go Mavericks!"
-Avery Johnson
Old 11-11-2010, 02:58 AM   #132
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirno2000 View Post

If by "do better than people think" you mean he will win less than the 3 games I gave him credit for and really put us in better position for next year's draft, yeah, I will agree that he definitely has that chance. He can lose more games than I initially thought.

And really Dirno? Mean mug? That is all you think guys like Cowher and Gruden bring to the table? Regarding Baltimore/Atlanta - I bet they wouldn't touch him now.
Old 11-11-2010, 03:30 AM   #133
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

Thespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Regarding Baltimore/Atlanta - I bet they wouldn't touch him now.
No kidding. Garret was in only in high demand after the 13-3 season. At that time, Wade Phillips looked like a genius hire by Jerry, and T.O. looked like a franchise savior. Now the whole world knows that Wade wasn't head coach material, and T.O. ultimately was a liability. Same goes for Garret; he definitely isn't regarded around the NFL as the offensive genius that he was in 2007.
Old 11-11-2010, 10:15 AM   #134
Underdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thespiralgoeson View Post
Same goes for Garret; he definitely isn't regarded around the NFL as the offensive genius that he was in 2007.
That's because every team in the NFL has tape on him now - he should have cashed-in while he was still an unknown...

Old 11-11-2010, 11:02 AM   #135
alexamenos
Diamond Member

alexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
So why not Ginger? He is part of this same failure and the guys know that. You bring in a past Super Bowl champion with as much respect as Cowher and Gruden require and you have some seriously amped and ready-to-play guys that will respond to being challenged.
I don't think this speculation is correct, much less obvious. It happens all the time in organizations where the guy at the very top is not terribly respected but guys further down the food chain are highly regarded nonetheless....It's not at all uncommon for people within an organization to quietly wish for the guy at the top to step aside and make room for a more competent guy slightly further down the organizational structure.

Moreover, there is a very significant advantage to promoting from within even in a turnaround situation -- the guy coming from within knows the existing culture, the people, where the skeletons are buried, etc....he has a big headstart on knowing what to change, how to change, and in what order to change.

The idea that Cower or Gruden will be respected and that players will get "amped up" because of football games Cower and Gruden won with very different teams and organizations...that'll get you through the first five minutes, the rest will depend upon what Gruden / Cower do here and now. That is to say, their past success in Pittsburgh/Tampa Bay is by no means any assurance of success here and now with Mike Jenkins at cornerback and Jerry Jones as the owner and three question marks at running back.

Quote:
Besides, if you are basing your desire to keep Garrett on wins and losses with Kitna guiding our offense, numerous injuries, a poor line, and an even worse secondary - you will be on my side soon enough.
Which is not at all what I've said, and in fact I was quite specific that W-L record is the wrong criteria by which to judge Garrett: "Here's what I'm looking for from the team over the next 8 weeks - some fight, some discipline, a tendency to either play smarter on the field or get bitchslapped when they get back to the sidelines. I don't need W's under Garrett immediately, I just need some of the nonsense gone. If we see this team looking less like a bunch of p-diddlies and boneheads then I wouldn't be disappointed to see Redball back next year."

If we're seeing some progress towards a better disciplined, more fundamentally sound style of play under Garrett, then we know that he can make a difference with this cast of characters and this owner--that means far more than what Cower did with Troy Palamalu and the Rooney family.

I submit that if we some progress in this regard (and it is a big *if*) and Jerry nonetheless makes a change to Gruden or Cower, then the motivation for that change will have far more to do with selling tickets for next season than putting together a solid coaching staff.

Last edited by alexamenos; 11-11-2010 at 11:05 AM.
alexamenos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 11:41 AM   #136
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexamenos View Post
I don't think this speculation is correct, much less obvious. It happens all the time in organizations where the guy at the very top is not terribly respected but guys further down the food chain are highly regarded nonetheless....It's not at all uncommon for people within an organization to quietly wish for the guy at the top to step aside and make room for a more competent guy slightly further down the organizational structure.

Yes, that does happen, but Garrett is no longer highly regarded. Most anyone will tell you that. Hell the announcers in 2 games this year pointed it out. He is not the hot commodity he was in 2007 when he took the league by surprise and made a name for himself by huge strikes down the field with a great WR and somewhat unknown QB. He is NOT highly regarded alexamenos - he is not. He was just the best guy to pick in THIS situation.

Moreover, there is a very significant advantage to promoting from within even in a turnaround situation -- the guy coming from within knows the existing culture, the people, where the skeletons are buried, etc....he has a big headstart on knowing what to change, how to change, and in what order to change.

When the person is truly capable, yes, but it is my belief and many others as well (hopefully Jerry's after the season) that Jason is not that person. He is only in this position because you don't bring in a Gruden/Cowher mid year. You don't do that because they want their own staff, a training camp, etc. Ginger is but air passing through this team's asshole before the much needed enema takes place in the offseason (both player and coach).

The idea that Cower or Gruden will be respected and that players will get "amped up" because of football games Cower and Gruden won with very different teams and organizations...that'll get you through the first five minutes, the rest will depend upon what Gruden / Cower do here and now. That is to say, their past success in Pittsburgh/Tampa Bay is by no means any assurance of success here and now with Mike Jenkins at cornerback and Jerry Jones as the owner and three question marks at running back.

I disagree greatly regarding that only lasting 5 minutes, as does Darren Woodson. A player. A damn good one that knows both types of coaches very well from his days with Switzer and Johnson. Check the link out above. As far as the rest based on "what they do here and now," well of course their abilities to coach will be paramount but I hope you understand that these are two damn good coaches. Damn good. Sure our football players have different strengths and weaknesses compared to Cowher's group in Pittsburgh and Gruden's group in TB, but if you put a damn good coach in charge of that team you should get more out of the players than we are now. That is one of the key problems here - underachieving.

Which is not at all what I've said, and in fact I was quite specific that W-L record is the wrong criteria by which to judge Garrett: "Here's what I'm looking for from the team over the next 8 weeks - some fight, some discipline, a tendency to either play smarter on the field or get bitchslapped when they get back to the sidelines. I don't need W's under Garrett immediately, I just need some of the nonsense gone. If we see this team looking less like a bunch of p-diddlies and boneheads then I wouldn't be disappointed to see Redball back next year."

Fair enough - good luck with seeing that passion, discipline, intelligence, etc... Good luck... Maybe the first 1 or 2 games you get it because Jerry scared some guys that didn't truly ever vision their neck on the chopping block prior to Wade's dismissal, but again, you damn sure won't for the majority of the games.

If we're seeing some progress towards a better disciplined, more fundamentally sound style of play under Garrett, then we know that he can make a difference with this cast of characters and this owner--that means far more than what Cower did with Troy Palamalu and the Rooney family.

See my 1-2 game comment above. Don't be fooled by an initial increase in desire just because some guys will have more fear fueling them initially. That happens upon ANY coaching change. Over the course of the full 8 games I am rather confident that you will see the same thing as you did with Wade.

I submit that if we some progress in this regard (and it is a big *if*) and Jerry nonetheless makes a change to Gruden or Cower, then the motivation for that change will have far more to do with selling tickets for next season than putting together a solid coaching staff.

It is so amazing to me that you honestly believe Garrett is just as capable of a coach as two of the most sought after guys and most respected guys in the game today to be cocky enough to refer to bringing CowHer/Gruden in as only a ticket ploy. Believe what you will. My points are made and your points are made. I just hope to God Jerry doesn't subscibe to your opinions.
Comments above...
Old 11-11-2010, 12:44 PM   #137
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

One more thing... Per the poll results from this thread, 23 are in favor of Cowher and 2 are in favor of Garrett. 2. Oh, and 1 of them is a person arguing for Garrett. It is actually 4 to 2 currently as far as keeping Wade vs promoting Garrett. Twice as many people wanted to keep the 1-7 marshmallow madness going vs going to the red football wizard. Given everything that has come from this year, when team fans want Wade to stay over the guy you are defending you really don't have much of a case. Just saying...
Old 11-11-2010, 02:13 PM   #138
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

Other than Cowher and Gruden, the name that keeps getting mentioned in the media is John Fox. Thoughts, anyone?
Old 11-11-2010, 02:14 PM   #139
FINtastic
Diamond Member

Quote:
It is so amazing to me that you honestly believe Garrett is just as capable of a coach as two of the most sought after guys and most respected guys in the game today to be cocky enough to refer to bringing CowHer/Gruden in as only a ticket ploy. Believe what you will. My points are made and your points are made. I just hope to God Jerry doesn't subscibe to your opinions.
You should probably amp up your prayers then because I've heard that Jerry subscribes almost exactly to alex's opinions. From my reading around on the internet, I ran across someone with ties to the organization who said that there is no bigger fan of Garrett than Jerry. Of course, Jerry is a bit of a realist here and knows that if this club doesn't show much in terms of improvements these next games, he won't be able to sell Garrett going into next year. So to put it crudely, Cowher and Gruden pretty much would be a ticket ploy in Jerry's eyes. I think Jerry knows they would be good coaches too, but I don't think he is convinced they are better than Red Head. You can make of that what you will.

"Ok, Go Mavericks!"
-Avery Johnson
Old 11-11-2010, 02:16 PM   #140
FINtastic
Diamond Member

Quote:
Other than Cowher and Gruden, the name that keeps getting mentioned in the media is John Fox. Thoughts, anyone?
I heard about the possibility of having him added to Cowher's staff as the DC once upon a time.

Not sure how much I would care for him as a head coach though.

"Ok, Go Mavericks!"
-Avery Johnson
Old 11-11-2010, 02:24 PM   #141
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FINtastic View Post
You should probably amp up your prayers then because I've heard that Jerry subscribes almost exactly to alex's opinions. From my reading around on the internet, I ran across someone with ties to the organization who said that there is no bigger fan of Garrett than Jerry. Of course, Jerry is a bit of a realist here and knows that if this club doesn't show much in terms of improvements these next games, he won't be able to sell Garrett going into next year. So to put it crudely, Cowher and Gruden pretty much would be a ticket ploy in Jerry's eyes. I think Jerry knows they would be good coaches too, but I don't think he is convinced they are better than Red Head. You can make of that what you will.
Please post the readings that you have found that are more than just the owner supporting the guy who is now coach of his team so not to imply he is a lame duck. Who is the someone with ties to the organization? Link? Not to knock your information in the slightest bit (hell you might be Jerry's golf buddy in the real world), but Jerry lies regularly. Remember the 3 straight weeks from 1-3 to 1-6 where he said he was absolutely not going to fire the coach? Then came 1-7. Take any ramblings from this man (or about this man from others who have had direct conversations with him) with a grain of salt.

I genuinely don't believe that Jerry would prefer Ginger over either of those two. And I am thanful for that belief. Until he proves me wrong, it will remain my belief.

Last edited by Male30Dan; 11-11-2010 at 02:27 PM.
Male30Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 02:25 PM   #142
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

Quote:
Not at all interested, despite his ties to the Jones family.
Old 11-11-2010, 02:44 PM   #143
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
My thoughts are, Fox doesn't put butts in the seats...and after this garbage fest of a season, Jerry is going to want to win the fans back as quick as possible. And that will take a big name...or what people keep calling a "splash".

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"
sike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 02:45 PM   #144
FINtastic
Diamond Member

Quote:
Please post the readings that you have found that are more than just the owner supporting the guy who is now coach of his team so not to imply he is a lame duck. Who is the someone with ties to the organization? Link? Not to knock your information in the slightest bit (hell you might be Jerry's golf buddy in the real world), but Jerry lies regularly. Remember the 3 straight weeks from 1-3 to 1-6 where he said he was absolutely not going to fire the coach? Then came 1-7. Take any ramblings from this man (or about this man from others who have had direct conversations with him) with a grain of salt.

I genuinely don't believe that Jerry would prefer Ginger over either of those two. And I am thanful for that belief. Until he proves me wrong, it will remain my belief.
I'm not the one with all the information. Over at Cowboyszone, there's a poster named SDogo. He's claimed for a while to have inside information, and I have to say his track record has been pretty reliable so far. If you want the particular post, I can give you the link, but you are going to have to sign up for an account first. This guy isn't the only one who claims to have inside information - the guy who runs the board over there (Hostile) also knows people and a couple of players. He seems to think the organization is very high on Garrett as well. When there's smoke...

And yes, I realize that Jerry said for 3 straight weeks that he wasn't going to fire his head coach. And if the Cowboys had actually been competitive for those three weeks and perhaps won a game, I bet Wade very much would be coaching this team still. If you read what I'd posted, you'll see this deal pretty much applies to Garrett. Jerry fired Wade because he knew he couldn't sell the coach of a team had obviously quit. If Garrett can't get the team at least looking competitive over these next 8 weeks, he'll probably be gone after the season too.

One thing to keep in mind is the issue of the next Collective Bargaining Agreement. It's going to be hard to have a brand new coach put his system in place when he doesn't have a whole offseason to do it because players and owners are feuding. This is another reason this thing could end up playing out in Garrett's favor. Despite all of the big names on the market, this won't be the best offseason to put a new coach in place. Since this team's window coincides with Romo's window as a top-level quarterback, don't think all this isn't playing in the back of Jerry's mind.

"Ok, Go Mavericks!"
-Avery Johnson

Last edited by FINtastic; 11-11-2010 at 02:51 PM.
Old 11-11-2010, 02:59 PM   #145
Underdog

Quote:
No.

Old 11-11-2010, 03:21 PM   #146
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underdog View Post
No.
Care to eleborate? The reason I didn't state my own opinion is because I don't have one. Other than the fact that he's the Carolina Coach and has a Super Bowl appearance to his credit, I know virtually nothing about the man.
Old 11-11-2010, 03:56 PM   #147
Five-ofan
Guru

Five-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond repute

Gruden should be the runaway leader in this.
Five-ofan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 04:03 PM   #148
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Five-ofan View Post
Gruden should be the runaway leader in this.
Both are great options.
Old 11-11-2010, 04:04 PM   #149
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

Quote:
Care to eleborate? The reason I didn't state my own opinion is because I don't have one. Other than the fact that he's the Carolina Coach and has a Super Bowl appearance to his credit, I know virtually nothing about the man.
Isn't Fox a 4-3 defensive coordinator with the title of head coach? Maybe Ware can play FS.
Old 11-11-2010, 04:09 PM   #150
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FINtastic View Post
I'm not the one with all the information. Over at Cowboyszone, there's a poster named SDogo. He's claimed for a while to have inside information, and I have to say his track record has been pretty reliable so far. If you want the particular post, I can give you the link, but you are going to have to sign up for an account first. This guy isn't the only one who claims to have inside information - the guy who runs the board over there (Hostile) also knows people and a couple of players. He seems to think the organization is very high on Garrett as well. When there's smoke...

And yes, I realize that Jerry said for 3 straight weeks that he wasn't going to fire his head coach. And if the Cowboys had actually been competitive for those three weeks and perhaps won a game, I bet Wade very much would be coaching this team still. If you read what I'd posted, you'll see this deal pretty much applies to Garrett. Jerry fired Wade because he knew he couldn't sell the coach of a team had obviously quit. If Garrett can't get the team at least looking competitive over these next 8 weeks, he'll probably be gone after the season too.

One thing to keep in mind is the issue of the next Collective Bargaining Agreement. It's going to be hard to have a brand new coach put his system in place when he doesn't have a whole offseason to do it because players and owners are feuding. This is another reason this thing could end up playing out in Garrett's favor. Despite all of the big names on the market, this won't be the best offseason to put a new coach in place. Since this team's window coincides with Romo's window as a top-level quarterback, don't think all this isn't playing in the back of Jerry's mind.
No offense here whatsoever, but "where there is smoke..." arguments don't do much for me. We shall see. I don't see it happening and I am grateful for that warm and cozy feeling that is Ginger eventually being bitch slapped to the curb.

Maybe I am wrong, and with Jerry you never REALLY know, but if you think Jerry would choose not to replace Ginger with a guy of Gruden's caliber or of Cowher's caliber and instead potentially waste another prime year of his stud QB's career all because the offseason is POSSIBLY shorter, well, puff-puff-pass bro...
Old 11-11-2010, 04:19 PM   #151
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute

I'm surprised to see Dan digging in so hard on this, before even seeing as much as one game under Garrett.

Myself, I really like what I heard yesterday.
chumdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 04:20 PM   #152
Underdog

Quote:
Sorry, I must have accidentally deleted the last part of my post.

I pretty much agree with Sike - Jerry isn't going to win back many fans if doesn't hire a big name. This team isn't expected to simply "change for the better" next season - this team is supposed to win a Super Bowl. Jerry promised.

Old 11-11-2010, 04:30 PM   #153
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chumdawg View Post
I'm surprised to see Dan digging in so hard on this, before even seeing as much as one game under Garrett.

Myself, I really like what I heard yesterday.
I saw way too many games with his dumb ass on the sideline for our offense. I am sorry, I will never be on board with this Fer. The only good thing he ever did for us was win a Thanksgiving day game against GB with rainbow lobs to Alvin Harper.

Dude could win 8 in a row, get us in the playoffs, run the gauntlet, and take home the prize and I would still want his ass fired. Of course he has about as much chance of doing that as I do of winning the Power Ball drawing without buying a ticket.
Old 11-11-2010, 04:48 PM   #154
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Dude could win 8 in a row, get us in the playoffs, run the gauntlet, and take home the prize and I would still want his ass fired.
Obviously.

Which means you aren't contributing much of substance to the discussion.
Old 11-11-2010, 04:52 PM   #155
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

Quote:
Obviously.

Which means you aren't contributing much of substance to the discussion.
Do you have a problem Chum? I can't have a preference based on my feelings for what he has done up to this point? My opinion has to match your opinion? No. No more than Alex's opinion or whoever else wants the Red River Shootout to succeed here should change their opinion because of what I type. That is why I said over and over "I HOPE JERRY....." as that is all that matters to me.
Old 11-11-2010, 05:00 PM   #156
chumdawg
Guru

Quote:
Do you have a problem Chum? I can't have a preference based on my feelings for what he has done up to this point? My opinion has to match your opinion? No. No more than Alex's opinion or whoever else wants the Red River Shootout to succeed here should change their opinion because of what I type. That is why I said over and over "I HOPE JERRY....." as that is all that matters to me.
I think that what he has done up to this point doesn't necessarily have any bearing on what he will do going forward, as head coach. I think you should at least give him a chance, before you bury him. I think you may be mistaken if you think Cowher is guaranteed to have success here but Garrett is guaranteed not to.

Those are my feelings and opinions, which you are of course welcome to take or leave.
Old 11-11-2010, 05:07 PM   #157
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

Quote:
I think that what he has done up to this point doesn't necessarily have any bearing on what he will do going forward, as head coach. I think you should at least give him a chance, before you bury him. I think you may be mistaken if you think Cowher is guaranteed to have success here but Garrett is guaranteed not to.

Those are my feelings and opinions, which you are of course welcome to take or leave.
I just don't want to risk another season of Romo the same as I hate wasting seasons of Dirk. You only get so many. I think Cowher/Gruden gives us the best chance of checking off "leadership/coaching" and moving to the next need and that is what it truly is all about to me. I dislike Garrett. I think he will not succeed for the reasons I dislike him. But I guess we will see.
Old 11-11-2010, 05:18 PM   #158
FINtastic
Diamond Member

Quote:
No offense here whatsoever, but "where there is smoke..." arguments don't do much for me. We shall see. I don't see it happening and I am grateful for that warm and cozy feeling that is Ginger eventually being bitch slapped to the curb.

Maybe I am wrong, and with Jerry you never REALLY know, but if you think Jerry would choose not to replace Ginger with a guy of Gruden's caliber or of Cowher's caliber and instead potentially waste another prime year of his stud QB's career all because the offseason is POSSIBLY shorter, well, puff-puff-pass bro...
I think the word "POSSIBLY" is underselling it a bit. A lockout is looking like a very real outcome at this point in time. We may even lose the entire next season. I don't care what kind of business you are running, anytime an executive is facing that kind of uncertainty, it's going to affect how he runs his operation. I doubt that Jerry is any different here.

And football isn't quite like Madden despite what some fans seem to think. You can't just plug in a new head coach and watch the wins suddenly start piling in. He needs time to install his system, get players to buy into the system, and cut out the cancer from from the previous regime. If his time to carry that out gets drastically reduced, I don't think it's setting your team up for future success.

If you think Garrett is here just as a stopgap measure until Jerry hires Gruden or whoever in the offseason, you could be setting yourself up for some serious disappointment in January. Jerry is very much evaluating Garrett as his possible future at head coach right now. Whether he decides to say yay or nay depends on what we see out of the next eight games. Sounds like you better hope we get drilled these during each and every one of them.

"Ok, Go Mavericks!"
-Avery Johnson
Old 11-11-2010, 05:41 PM   #159
FINtastic
Diamond Member

Source - http://sports.espn.go.com/dallas/nfl..._ed&id=5792186

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Werder
JJ: Jason Garrett can make team believe

They could not have known it at the time, but the meeting Troy Aikman arranged between Jimmy Johnson and Jason Garrett brought together the only coach in Cowboys history to lose 15 games in a single season and the red-headed hopeful who just this week was provided the challenge of trying to avoid equaling Johnson's infamous record while transitioning into his own first NFL head-coaching job.

"Jason has prepared himself well,'' Johnson said Thursday. "He's very organized and even though this is a very difficult situation -- as difficult as it can get -- I sent him an e-mail this morning telling him to give it his best shot.''

It should be noted that as impossible as Garrett's task seems to be, that the former backup quarterback did, at least a few times, capably replace Aikman. If Garrett can accomplish that, winning with the players who betrayed Wade Phillips so badly that Jerry Jones fired him shouldn't be all that difficult.

Aikman and Garrett have remained friends well beyond their playing careers, which is worth noting on Garrett's resume. A year after Garrett turned down head-coaching offers from the Atlanta Falcons and Baltimore Ravens following the 2007 season, he approached Aikman about traveling to Johnson's sun-drenched paradise in the Florida Keys to allow the former coach with whom they each won two Super Bowl rings to educate him on the requirements of succeeding in the NFL.

Johnson had helped prep Garrett for his previous job interviews by speaking to him on the phone for an hour or so.

But their meeting lasted a few days, and the additional time allowed for more detailed conversations. Garrett arrived with a purpose and was thoroughly prepared, and Johnson clearly was not. Garrett had several pages of questions, which he asked relentlessly. At one point, Johnson turned to Aikman, laughed and said, "I need a little break. Let's enjoy each other a little here.''

The three spent a few days discussing Garrett's role as offensive coordinator under Phillips, the Cowboys' personnel and what Garrett should be prepared to do whenever his next head coaching opportunity was presented.

"He wore me out,'' Johnson said.

In his very first day with the players as the only interim head coach in Cowboys history, Garrett did some of the very things Johnson had recommended. He started their day with an early meeting in which he warned everybody that they would get exactly what they earned -- regardless of whether they were millionaires with guaranteed salaries or undrafted free agents. He tolerated no walking between drills, and he will have them practice in full pads every Wednesday.

Aikman noted the changes Garrett had implemented in an e-mail to Johnson on Thursday morning, saying, "I know you will love it. Full pads!''

"He's doing all the things they've needed to be doing for years,'' Johnson said Thursday. "That is how you win games. The No. 1 thing Jason has to do is bring out the best in what they have there. Especially the veteran players -- the old veterans -- their habits will be hard to break and, unfortunately, they have some bad habits.''

Coaches with powerful personalities and genuine authority like Bill Parcells and Johnson are the only ones who have succeeded in Jones' two decades of ownership. The players must view the head coach as the one person in the organization who controls their playing time and their ultimate fate or dysfunction will ensue.

That was never the case with Phillips, who took a different approach and began mocking Parcells at his introductory news conference. I'm not sure whether he continued in his farewell address to the players who got him fired Monday.

Johnson witnessed plenty of awful football when he took over the Cowboys, but he was appalled as he saw a Cowboys team that began with Super Bowl expectations in a 45-7 debacle that would be Phillips' final game as coach.

"It was obvious to anybody who watched -- from the astute football person to a housewife -- that team had shut it down, and that's a shame,'' Johnson said. "I don't think it's too far wrong when people said this was extremely talented team, and this year is wasted. It's a shame to see all that talent wasted.''

Despite all of his positive reinforcement of Phillips and his refusal to see the damage being inflicted by his refusal to hold players accountable, it was Jones who finally defined how far the Cowboys have fallen.

He did that when he outlined his expectations for the Cowboys under Garrett.

The owner, who once drove Aikman crazy because he expected a Super Bowl every year, doesn't even expect victories from his team over the second half of the season.

He just wants Garrett to convince the wealthiest locker room in the NFL to play hard.

"That tells you how far they've fallen,'' Johnson said. "How deep their problems are, how low it has gotten when you have to tell millionaires to try. The last couple of weeks was embarrassing. It's embarrassing to anybody affiliated with the sport.''

Johnson made no qualms as to what he would have done to cornerback Mike Jenkins, a talented Pro Bowl player who, for the second time in his career, turned down a tackle that might have prevented a touchdown. "It would never have gotten to that point,'' Johnson said. "We didn't have anybody do that when we were 1-15.''

Garrett does have that in his locker room, starting in his secondary. So in that regard, his challenge is more difficult than that Johnson accepted in 1989.

Johnson had a multi-year contract and won a national championship at Miami. Garrett has eight games and no head-coaching experience.

After I mentioned that it seemed Garrett had succeeded in convincing even the most ardent Phillips supporters such as linebacker Keith Brooking to believe in him, Johnson cut me off.

"I don't need to hear anything from the players,'' he said. "I just need to see performance.''

Almost nobody expects Garrett to accomplish enough in a very short time with an extremely difficult remaining schedule to win the job permanently.

But I think Jones sincerely wants this to be the long-term solution because Garrett offers the owner and general manager his best opportunity to avoid overpaying for the credibility of a Super Bowl winner such as Jon Gruden or Bill Cowher.

If Jones pursues one of them, he will be forced into a negotiation in which Jones would be almost certain to concede some of his power.

Jones viewed Garrett as the Cowboys' head coach when he hired him before Phillips and paid him an identical salary to turn down the Falcons and Ravens.

In fact, Jones' actual plan never included Phillips. He wanted to hire Garrett to be included on Parcells' final coaching staff and then have him take over when Parcells retired. That line of succession couldn't happen when Parcells retired a year sooner than expected and Garrett was deemed not ready.

"I think without question Jerry wants it to work with Jason,'' Johnson said. "Jerry 100 percent wants it to work, and I think 100 percent it can work. But it won't be easy. I think Jason will need tremendous people skills to make sure there's everybody on the same page and positive. There's going to be resistance, and so it takes people skills to make sure they believe what he needs them to believe.''

Ed Werder covers the NFL for ESPN.com and contributes weekly to ESPNDallas.com.

"Ok, Go Mavericks!"
-Avery Johnson
Old 11-11-2010, 05:54 PM   #160
chumdawg
Guru

Nice read. As far as I'm concerned, the more Aikman and Johnson can rub off on this franchise, the better!

Tags
fluffy pandering