Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > Around the NBA

Old 11-20-2004, 01:20 AM   #121
rakesh.s
Golden Member

rakesh.s is a glorious beacon of lightrakesh.s is a glorious beacon of lightrakesh.s is a glorious beacon of lightrakesh.s is a glorious beacon of lightrakesh.s is a glorious beacon of lightrakesh.s is a glorious beacon of lightrakesh.s is a glorious beacon of light
Default RE:Damned... Detroit Fans are Trash.

Quote:
Originally posted by: Murphy3
Quote:
Originally posted by: rakesh.s
I can't believe everyone keeps saying it's a flagrant foul on artest. That's just because it's artest..

Look at the foul, he hit wallace's arm to prevent a dunk. He plays hard and no easy baskets.

Wallace didn't land akwardly and he didn't face a career threatening injury. Step to the line and make Ft's and walk away.

If this same foul is committed by another player, it's a "hard foul"......BS
A flagrant foul where unnecessary and/or excessive contact occurs. Artest made no play on the ball so the play can be easily categorized as unnecessary. You don't have to hurt someone or even attempt to hurt someone for a flagrant foul to be called. The way a flagrant foul is usually called is when a player is in the air going for a shot and the defender makes absolutely no play on the ball. The Artest foul was unnecessary and he made absolutely no play on the ball.
please..

you and i know both have seen harder fouls which have not been flagrants..

at this point you just sound biased against artest for no good reason

any other player commits this foul, it isn't flagrant

ben wallace is probably pissed because it was his chance for glory and a chance to get the crowd fired up and artest didn't let him have it at the end of the game..i would've done the same thing....you aren't dunking on me...end of the game, step up and make your FT's
rakesh.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-20-2004, 01:22 AM   #122
FilthyFinMavs
Diamond Member

FilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally posted by: MavKikiNYC
Quote:
That white kid deserved exactly what he got. I recommend you rewatch what happened. No one is getting off on watching this crap happen but the fans of Detroit don't deserve any sympathy. You can defend them all you want but they deserve what they got.
You've already acknowledged that the first kid Artest went after did not appear to be the person who threw the beer. So he deserved to be punched for laughing that Artest had beer poured on him? You sure have a different set of values than I do, buddy, and I think it's pretty clear where it's rooted.

Let's just say I sure hope Artest gets what's coming to him, and you can be damned sure you know where I'm coming from.
That's not the guy i'm referring to. I'm referring to the one who walked up to Artest looking for a fight as if he was going to kick a guys ass whose two times his size. As far as the first guy goes i'm not really sure if Artest hit the right guy so i'm going to hold judgement on that one. But if he's the one who threw the beer at Artest than he also got what he deserved. I know the fans pay to watch players play but that's where it ends. They don't get some pass to hit or throw beers and chairs at players because they paid to get into the game.

1996-2005
FilthyFinMavs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2004, 01:23 AM   #123
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
I can't believe everyone keeps saying it's a flagrant foul on artest. That's just because it's artest..

Look at the foul, he hit wallace's arm to prevent a dunk. He plays hard and no easy baskets.

Wallace didn't land akwardly and he didn't face a career threatening injury. Step to the line and make Ft's and walk away.

A flagrant foul where unnecessary and/or excessive contact occurs. Artest made no play on the ball so the play can be easily categorized as unnecessary. You don't have to hurt someone or even attempt to hurt someone for a flagrant foul to be called. The way a flagrant foul is usually called is when a player is in the air going for a shot and the defender makes absolutely no play on the ball. The Artest foul was unnecessary and he made absolutely no play on the ball.
please..

ben wallace is probably pissed because it was his chance for glory and a chance to get the crowd fired up and artest didn't let him have it at the end of the game..i would've done the same thing....you aren't dunking on me...end of the game, step up and make your FT's
It's not always about how hard the foul is. It is often about unnecessary contact when a player is going up for a slam/layup. I've seen much less called a Flagrant foul whena player is going up for a layup/slam.
It was unnecessary because he made NO play on the ball when a player was going up for the attempt. He pushed Wallace and then swatted in the direction of his head making no play at the ball.
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2004, 01:24 AM   #124
mavs413
Golden Member

mavs413 is a jewel in the roughmavs413 is a jewel in the roughmavs413 is a jewel in the roughmavs413 is a jewel in the roughmavs413 is a jewel in the rough
Default RE: Damned... Detroit Fans are Trash.

It sucks that there were so many good games today in the NBA and everybody is going to be talking about this. Lakers/Suns, Jazz/Heat, Mavs/Knicks, Kings/Grizz, all were great games but we are all going to be watching people fighting instead of great highlights, too bad.
mavs413 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2004, 01:26 AM   #125
FilthyFinMavs
Diamond Member

FilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally posted by: mavs413
It sucks that there were so many good games today in the NBA and everybody is going to be talking about this. Lakers/Suns, Jazz/Heat, Mavs/Knicks, Kings/Grizz, all were great games but we are all going to be watching people fighting instead of great highlights, too bad.
IMO, there was nothing stellar about the Knicks game. I guess if you're a Knicks fan.....

1996-2005
Old 11-20-2004, 01:27 AM   #126
GoPistons

GoPistons is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by: FilthyFinMavs
Quote:
Quote:
That white kid deserved exactly what he got. I recommend you rewatch what happened. No one is getting off on watching this crap happen but the fans of Detroit don't deserve any sympathy. You can defend them all you want but they deserve what they got.
You've already acknowledged that the first kid Artest went after did not appear to be the person who threw the beer. So he deserved to be punched for laughing that Artest had beer poured on him? You sure have a different set of values than I do, buddy, and I think it's pretty clear where it's rooted.

Let's just say I sure hope Artest gets what's coming to him, and you can be damned sure you know where I'm coming from.
That's not the guy i'm referring to. I'm referring to the one who walked up to Artest looking for a fight as if he was going to kick a guys ass whose two times his size. As far as the first guy goes i'm not really sure if Artest hit the right guy so i'm going to hold judgement on that one. But if he's the one who threw the beer at Artest than he also got what he deserved. I know the fans pay to watch players play but that's where it ends. They don't get some pass to hit or throw beers and chairs at players because they paid to get into the game.
if someone twice as small as u comes up to u and actes like if he could kick ur ass ur not necessarily gonna beat the shit outta him, ud prolly laugh and jus walk away or jus talk to him first or something, artest decides to punch the guy in the face....fans dont hav a pass to throw beer, players arent payed to beat up fans
GoPistons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2004, 01:32 AM   #127
GoPistons

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

please..

it all started cuz it was an unecessary hard foul by artest, if he jus let ben dunk and they win there woulda been no fiasco, but artest jus decided that he was gonna foul while up by 15 with 45 seconds.....
Old 11-20-2004, 01:36 AM   #128
FilthyFinMavs
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally posted by: GoPistons
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

if someone twice as small as u comes up to u and actes like if he could kick ur ass ur not necessarily gonna beat the shit outta him, ud prolly laugh and jus walk away or jus talk to him first or something, artest decides to punch the guy in the face....fans dont hav a pass to throw beer, players arent payed to beat up fans

It matters. If i'm at a club or at the basketball court i'd probably walk it off and ignore the guy. But if i'm getting harrassed and jumped on by fans and all of a sudden some guy comes out of nowhere and runs up on me i'm going to deck him. I'm not trying to sound like a thug but I mean if a guy ran up on me first thing i'm thinking does he have some sort of weapon on him. Why would some guy who comes to my waist line run up on me? I'm sorry Pistons fan but you guys are just as wrong as the players are in this situation.

1996-2005
Old 11-20-2004, 01:36 AM   #129
rakesh.s
Golden Member

rakesh.s is a glorious beacon of lightrakesh.s is a glorious beacon of lightrakesh.s is a glorious beacon of lightrakesh.s is a glorious beacon of lightrakesh.s is a glorious beacon of lightrakesh.s is a glorious beacon of lightrakesh.s is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

please..

it all started cuz it was an unecessary hard foul by artest, if he jus let ben dunk and they win there woulda been no fiasco, but artest jus decided that he was gonna foul while up by 15 with 45 seconds.....
lol..i can't believe a pistons fan registers and starts posting this kind of biased crap..please

if you are going to try and dunk, i am going to swat that away..i don't care what the score is...why does larry brown have his starters in down by 15 and 1 min to go??
Old 11-20-2004, 01:39 AM   #130
rakesh.s
Golden Member

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

please..

It's not always about how hard the foul is. It is often about unnecessary contact when a player is going up for a slam/layup. I've seen much less called a Flagrant foul whena player is going up for a layup/slam.
It was unnecessary because he made NO play on the ball when a player was going up for the attempt. He pushed Wallace and then swatted in the direction of his head making no play at the ball.
there have been harder fouls by players not named Artest....you're blindly biased to artest..plain and simple

i don't feel the need to keep repeating the same thing over and over again because you try to define a flagrant based on your artest bias..you're not looking at it from a neutral standpoint

you're no better than "gopistons" or whatever the hell his name is

Old 11-20-2004, 01:39 AM   #131
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

please..

lol..i can't believe a pistons fan registers and starts posting this kind of biased crap..please

if you are going to try and dunk, i am going to swat that away..i don't care what the score is...why does larry brown have his starters in down by 15 and 1 min to go??
He made no F'ing attempt to swat it away.
Old 11-20-2004, 01:39 AM   #132
GoPistons

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

It matters. If i'm at a club or at the basketball court i'd probably walk it off and ignore the guy. But if i'm getting harrassed and jumped on by fans and all of a sudden some guy comes out of nowhere and runs up on me i'm going to deck him. I'm not trying to sound like a thug but I mean if a guy ran up on me first thing i'm thinking does he have some sort of weapon on him. Why would some guy who comes to my waist line run up on me? I'm sorry Pistons fan but you guys are just as wrong as the players are in this situation.
well from the video it seems the guy was jus walking and mayb heckling, but that doesnt justify what JO and artest did to that fan....
Old 11-20-2004, 01:40 AM   #133
Misfit Mav

Misfit Mav will become famous soon enough

Quote:
I'm sorry Pistons fan but you guys are just as wrong as the players are in this situation.
Definitely. Everybody comes out of this one looking terrible.
When asked after the Dallas Mavericks impressive game 3 win over the Sacramento Kings whether he thought the Mavs won because they played well or because the Kings played poorly, Nelson responded that it was hard to tell, much like a thermos. "How do it know?" queried the ever eccentric Nelson. When you put something hot in it, it stays hot. When you put something cold in it, it stays cold. "How do it know?"
Misfit Mav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2004, 01:41 AM   #134
Murphy3
Guru

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

well from the video it seems the guy was jus walking and mayb heckling, but that doesnt justify what JO and artest did to that fan....

ESPN did report earlier that Artest didn't even go after the right guy. We'll see what develops with that.
Old 11-20-2004, 01:43 AM   #135
GoPistons

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

please..

well isnt most of what u post biased also??? i mean this is a mavs forum so im guessing ur a mavs fan supporting the mavs....im doing exactly that supporting my team....
Old 11-20-2004, 01:53 AM   #136
aexchange
Boom goes the Dynamite!

aexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant future

after reviewing the footage,

wallace probably deserves a 3 game suspension for inciting the riot.

artest deserves a minimum of a 20 game suspension for going into the crowd, decking multiple people and creating mass hysteria. jackson needs to be banned permanently from the league. the nba doesnt need a thug like him. o'neal deserves a 20 game suspension as well. having him blind side a fan who clearly wasnt even trying to attack him is totally classless.
aexchange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2004, 01:53 AM   #137
FilthyFinMavs
Diamond Member

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

No, it doesn't justify at all. I stated above these guys deserve a harsh suspension and should be dealt with. The fans are also in the and from what I saw from the tape that guy had his fist up ready to rumble with Artest. If he didn't want to fight he should've ran. Everyone involved is in the wrong here and i'll be the first to say i'm so glad no kids were injured during this. I hate they had to watch this but it's great to hear no kid was injured. As african americans we will never get rid of these stereotypes if guys keep acting like this.

1996-2005
Old 11-20-2004, 01:58 AM   #138
Lvubun1

Lvubun1 is on a distinguished road

I'm no Pacer fan but I'm 99% behind them on this.

- Their wasn't anything bad about the foul, that kinda of foul happens in every game, no need for Wallace to get upset and to push the fan in the face.

- At that point it was pretty much over, Artest was laying back on the scorers table, he was calm, wasn't trying to get back at Wallace then he was hit with a cup of beer. For the people who think Artest is wrong if your walking down the street minding your business and somebody walks up to you, verbally abuses you and throws a cup of beer in your face, what you gonna do? Wipe the beer off your face and say "Your not a nice person, here's your cup back" No, Artest isn't the first pro-athelete to have something thrown at him, but Basketball is a different beast because no other sport are the players so close to the fans, the fans actually sit on the playing surface, not Baseball, not, Hockey, not Football. The fan doesn't throw that cup, none of this happens, period. Just because they are rich doesn't mean they have a greater tolerence for being disrespected.

- Artest did attack the wrong fan, that's the one thing he did wrong, obviously when your angry cause somebody threw something at you, your not gonna run up to the stands and say "Hello sir, excuse me, I was just wondering if you were the person who threw that cup at me?" That fan wasn't hurt, i'm sure Ron will apologize and send him a autographed ball or something, but at that point it was pretty much over. Ron was getting pulled back, then the fan that did hit Ron with the cup started to strike him in the face with his fist, once again, even if you don't think he was right going after the fan after getting hit with the cup, if somebody hits you twice in the face, you don't say "thank you sir, can i have another" you defend yourself.

- As you look further, Freddie Jones who wasn't trying to do anything other to pull back his teammate, got knocked multiple times right in the face.

- After the players are back on the court, a fan goes right up to Artest's face so he clocks him, nothing wrong with that, if he didn't hit him first he probably would have gotten hit. O'neal then hits another fan, from what I have seen the fan was getting up and wasn't much of a threat so that was wrong.

- Then another fan throws a chair at O'neal, I don't need to tell you if that would've connected how serious he might have been injured. Then was they are going into the locker room, the were pelted with cups, glass, plastic and whatever else the fan could find to throw.

What should happen. O'neal 7 games. Jackson 7 games. Wallace 5 games. Artest 7 games. The fan who first threw the cup, the large man who stuck Freddie Jones, and any other fans who threw punches should be charged with assault, solely to show other stupid fans that they can't attack players and get away with it.
Lvubun1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2004, 01:58 AM   #139
FilthyFinMavs
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally posted by: aexchange

artest deserves a minimum of a 20 game suspension for going into the crowd, decking multiple people and creating mass hysteria. jackson needs to be banned permanently from the league. the nba doesnt need a thug like him. o'neal deserves a 20 game suspension as well. having him blind side a fan who clearly wasnt even trying to attack him is totally classless.

I sort of agree with this but when I look at it I get get the impression that Wallace is getting off too easy. What Wallace did doesn't even deserve a suspension just what happen afterwards is why I would give him the suspension and 3 games compared to the rest of the players getting 20 makes it seem like Wallace is getting off easy. I can't think of anything better though. I think this is going to end up being the result of the situation except I think SJax gets the same amount of games out as Artest.

1996-2005
Old 11-20-2004, 01:59 AM   #140
Murphy3
Guru

Quote:

What O'Neal did to the fan that wasn't even standing up on the court is disturbing.

AEX, there's not a chance in hell that the NBA suspends the players for as long as you've suggested....But, I couldn't agree with you more.
Old 11-20-2004, 02:02 AM   #141
Evilmav2
Diamond Member

Evilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

Idiot.

It should be incredibly threatening for any NBA player to see fans coming down on the court looking to fight; far more more so than just having to endure crap and profanity being thrown at you. Both of those two Piston's fans might well have been "half the size of Artest", or they might have been "jus walking and mayb heckling", but two aggresssive, threatening fans coming down to the court to threateningly advance and yell at Pacers players could have easily become 50 or 100 if the situation continued to degenerate, and in that sense Artest and O'Neal were absolutely, completely within their rights of self-defense when they swung at those clowns. Jermaine and Ron deserve a pass for that particular part of the melee, and I think the league and the local prosecuter will agree with me there...
Old 11-20-2004, 02:02 AM   #142
FilthyFinMavs
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally posted by: Lvubun1

- Their wasn't anything bad about the foul, that kinda of foul happens in every game, no need for Wallace to get upset and to push the fan in the face.

- At that point it was pretty much over, Artest was laying back on the scorers table, he was calm, wasn't trying to get back at Wallace then he was hit with a cup of beer. For the people who think Artest is wrong if your walking down the street minding your business and somebody walks up to you, verbally abuses you and throws a cup of beer in your face, what you gonna do? Wipe the beer off your face and say "Your not a nice person, here's your cup back" No, Artest isn't the first pro-athelete to have something thrown at him, but Basketball is a different beast because no other sport are the players so close to the fans, the fans actually sit on the playing surface, not Baseball, not, Hockey, not Football. The fan doesn't throw that cup, none of this happens, period. Just because they are rich doesn't mean they have a greater tolerence for being disrespected.

- Artest did attack the wrong fan, that's the one thing he did wrong, obviously when your angry cause somebody threw something at you, your not gonna run up to the stands and say "Hello sir, excuse me, I was just wondering if you were the person who threw that cup at me?" That fan wasn't hurt, i'm sure Ron will apologize and send him a autographed ball or something, but at that point it was pretty much over. Ron was getting pulled back, then the fan that did hit Ron with the cup started to strike him in the face with his fist, once again, even if you don't think he was right going after the fan after getting hit with the cup, if somebody hits you twice in the face, you don't say "thank you sir, can i have another" you defend yourself.

- As you look further, Freddie Jones who wasn't trying to do anything other to pull back his teammate, got knocked multiple times right in the face.

- After the players are back on the court, a fan goes right up to Artest's face so he clocks him, nothing wrong with that, if he didn't hit him first he probably would have gotten hit. O'neal then hits another fan, from what I have seen the fan was getting up and wasn't much of a threat so that was wrong.

- Then another fan throws a chair at O'neal, I don't need to tell you if that would've connected how serious he might have been injured. Then was they are going into the locker room, the were pelted with cups, glass, plastic and whatever else the fan could find to throw.

What should happen. O'neal 3 games. Jackson 3 games. Wallace 2 games. Artest 2 games. The fan who first threw the cup, the large man who stuck Freddie Jones, and any other fans who threw punches should be charged with assault, solely to show other stupid fans that they can't attack players and get away with it.
Damn 3 games lol? I think if that happens there will be a riot in Detroit lol.

1996-2005
Old 11-20-2004, 02:02 AM   #143
Murphy3
Guru

Quote:
Quote:

I sort of agree with this but when I look at it I get get the impression that Wallace is getting off too easy. What Wallace did doesn't even deserve a suspension just what happen afterwards is why I would give him the suspension and 3 games compared to the rest of the players getting 20 makes it seem like Wallace is getting off easy. I can't think of anything better though. I think this is going to end up being the result of the situation except I think SJax gets the same amount of games out as Artest.

Wallace's suspension should be tied-in to what later occurred. He should be suspended for exactly what he did...for pushing/hitting Artest.
Old 11-20-2004, 02:03 AM   #144
Nash13
Diamond Member

Nash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud of

Rake, i don't think the question is why Brown had his starters in, because they were trying to make the game look respectable. The question is why was Artest and Jackson in the game? They had an a big league with less than a minute left.

Another thing, and this isn't directed toward anybody. When you're physically assaulted, you have a natural right to defend yourself. Now if the gov't considers spitting on someone assault, then they should view throwing beverages at someone as an assault too. So that's my reason why i don't think Artest or Jackson should get suspended/arrested for what they did.

I'm going to be mad if any player gets arrested because they didn't provoke any of this.
The wind rises electric. She's soft and warm and almost weightless. Her perfume is sweet promise that brings tears to my eyes. I tell her that everything will be all right; that I'll save her from whatever she's scared and take her far far away. I tell her that I love her. The silencer makes a whisper of the gunshot. I hold her close until she's gone. I'll never know what she was running from. I'll cash her check in the morning.

~The Salesman
Nash13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2004, 02:04 AM   #145
Murphy3
Guru

edit
Old 11-20-2004, 02:04 AM   #146
Lvubun1

Like i said in my post, I'm behind the Pacers in this besides O'neal's cheap shot on the fan. With that being said, he was on the court, not sure about you but if I was their I would not have been anyway near that court, I would've been at the snack bar getting a Superpretzel. And we don't know why the fan was on the court, I'm sure their is alot more footage yet to be seen.
Old 11-20-2004, 02:06 AM   #147
Murphy3
Guru

Quote:
Like i said in my post, I'm behind the Pacers in this besides O'neal's cheap shot on the fan. With that being said, he was on the court, not sure about you but if I was their I would not have been anyway near that court, I would've been at the snack bar getting a Superpretzel. And we don't know why the fan was on the court, I'm sure their is alot more footage yet to be seen.
How can anyone be behind either party? It makes no sense to take either side....none.
Old 11-20-2004, 02:06 AM   #148
Misfit Mav

Quote:
The fan who first threw the cup, the large man who stuck Freddie Jones, and any other fans who threw punches should be charged with assault, solely to show other stupid fans that they can't attack players and get away with it.
Absolutely, but if Artest threw punches at random hecklers those are assaults as well. People should press charges if they were struck without anything but verbal provocation.

Again, I haven't seen the footage, but from what I'm hearing it sounds like Artest attacked several fans in the crowd.
When asked after the Dallas Mavericks impressive game 3 win over the Sacramento Kings whether he thought the Mavs won because they played well or because the Kings played poorly, Nelson responded that it was hard to tell, much like a thermos. "How do it know?" queried the ever eccentric Nelson. When you put something hot in it, it stays hot. When you put something cold in it, it stays cold. "How do it know?"
Old 11-20-2004, 02:10 AM   #149
Lvubun1

Quote:
Quote:

What should happen. O'neal 3 games. Jackson 3 games. Wallace 2 games. Artest 2 games. The fan who first threw the cup, the large man who stuck Freddie Jones, and any other fans who threw punches should be charged with assault, solely to show other stupid fans that they can't attack players and get away with it.
At first I said 3 games because I thought that was the minumium suspension for leaving the bench, plus the NBA does have to lay down the law.
Old 11-20-2004, 02:10 AM   #150
Murphy3
Guru

Quote:
Originally posted by: Misfit Mav
Quote:
The fan who first threw the cup, the large man who stuck Freddie Jones, and any other fans who threw punches should be charged with assault, solely to show other stupid fans that they can't attack players and get away with it.
Absolutely, but if Artest threw punches at random hecklers those are assaults as well. People should press charges if they were struck without anything but verbal provocation.

Again, I haven't seen the footage, but from what I'm hearing it sounds like Artest attacked several fans in the crowd.
And just because there might not be cause to file assault charges against Artest/Jackson does not mean that they still do not deserve a stiff suspension from the NBA. That being said, I do believe that it's likely that numerous players will be held liable in some manner or another in the court of law or by some sort of financial settlement.
Old 11-20-2004, 02:12 AM   #151
Misfit Mav

Quote:
Originally posted by: Nash13
When you're physically assaulted, you have a natural right to defend yourself. Now if the gov't considers spitting on someone assault, then they should view throwing beverages at someone as an assault too. So that's my reason why i don't think Artest or Jackson should get suspended/arrested for what they did.

I'm going to be mad if any player gets arrested because they didn't provoke any of this.
I'm probably the only person calling for charges to be brought against players here, so I may be out of line. You absolutely have the right to strike back if you are assaulted. But you do not have the right to attack an entire crowd if one person throws a beer at you. I have been at many concerts, for example, where I have been splashed with beer or hit with flying cups. I can't turn around and start punching people in the direction that the beer came from. If someone approached artest and hit him with something, and Artest punched him back, that's different. In this case, it sounds as if he was struck with a cup, and then started going after all the people heckling him. If that's the case, it was completely unwaranted and as much as an assault as those fans that attacked the players.
Old 11-20-2004, 02:13 AM   #152
Murphy3
Guru

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

At first I said 3 games because I thought that was the minumium suspension for leaving the bench, plus the NBA does have to lay down the law.
I hope that whoever decides on the suspension can come up with something a little more appropriate than what you've provided as far as suspensions go.
Old 11-20-2004, 02:15 AM   #153
FilthyFinMavs
Diamond Member

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I mean i'm saying I think that's too little. Pistons fans are going to want some sort of revenge. If the league suspends the players for a maximum of 3 games I think literally Detroit will pull a riot lol.

1996-2005
Old 11-20-2004, 02:15 AM   #154
Lvubun1

Quote:
Originally posted by: Misfit Mav
Quote:

As far as i could see, every fan Artest attacked, provoked him first. Now O'Neal and Jackson might be different stories. And yes those people hit will want to go to court but I got this little hunch that they will want to go to Civil court and not criminal. Every fan hit, even if they deserved it, right now as we speak are on the phone with lawyers, getting their fake neck braces ready, in a attempt to get some of that NBA money. Artest better pray his rap album goes Platnium.
Old 11-20-2004, 02:19 AM   #155
Nash13
Diamond Member

Nash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud of

misfit, first of all, Artest didn't attack an entire crowd, he hit a guy who he thought threw beer on him, and a guy that came on court walking towards his direction. Artest admittedly attacked the wrong person, but it was the guy next to the guy he attacked who threw it. When he was hit with the drink, he wasn't looking in the direction. So i believe the guy should take it to court. But the guy who he attacked was in his face, and the guy that was with him threw beer at Artest and Jackson.
The wind rises electric. She's soft and warm and almost weightless. Her perfume is sweet promise that brings tears to my eyes. I tell her that everything will be all right; that I'll save her from whatever she's scared and take her far far away. I tell her that I love her. The silencer makes a whisper of the gunshot. I hold her close until she's gone. I'll never know what she was running from. I'll cash her check in the morning.

~The Salesman
Nash13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2004, 02:20 AM   #156
Misfit Mav

[quote]
Quote:
[i]
As far as i could see, every fan Artest attacked, provoked him first. Now O'Neal and Jackson might be different stories. And yes those people hit will want to go to court but I got this little hunch that they will want to go to Civil court and not criminal. Every fan hit, even if they deserved it, right now as we speak are on the phone with lawyers, getting their fake neck braces ready, in a attempt to get some of that NBA money. Artest better pray his rap album goes Platnium.
Provoked verbally or physically? You can't punch a guy for an insult, the law is very clear on that.

You're right about the money. I'm sure most people would rather get a cash settlement than press criminal charges. On the other hand, it could be very good publicity for Artest's album.
Old 11-20-2004, 02:30 AM   #157
Murphy3
Guru

Quote:
Originally posted by: Nash13
misfit, first of all, Artest didn't attack an entire crowd, he hit a guy who he thought threw beer on him, and a guy that came on court walking towards his direction. Artest admittedly attacked the wrong person, but it was the guy next to the guy he attacked who threw it. When he was hit with the drink, he wasn't looking in the direction. So i believe the guy should take it to court. But the guy who he attacked was in his face, and the guy that was with him threw beer at Artest and Jackson.
The guy who Artest attacked WAS NOT in his face. He was jumping up and down like a goofy idiot, but he was NOT in Artests face. Artest went into the stands directly towards the guy....The guy wanted no part of Artest and did not get in his face. He was 15-20 feet away from Artest when Artest decided to go into the stands. That is hardly in his face. Plus, when he saw Artest coming his direction, he obviously wasn't attempting to start anything at that point either.

If it truly is the wrong guy, Artest is in even more serious sh!t.
Old 11-20-2004, 02:36 AM   #158
dirno2000
Diamond Member

dirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond repute

I would imagine that the next time these teams meet in Det., we're going to see a scene reminiscent of Yankees/Redsox game 6.
Old 11-20-2004, 02:42 AM   #159
Dirkenstien
Diamond Member

Dirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant future

Expect record high television ratings for the NBA on December 25th (Christmas) ...Whoever decided this Christmas day schedule should be getting a raise.

Not only do you have Shaq going back to play the Lakers and Kobe for the first time since his departure, but you also have Indiana going back to Detroit again.

Saturday, December 25
MATCHUP TICKETS NAT TV TIME (ET)
Detroit at Indiana Tickets ESPN 12:30 PM
Miami at LA Lakers Tickets ABC 3:00 PM

''Nowitzki'' is a German word that, translated, means, ''Good Lord, doesn't this guy ever miss?''

-Miami paper on Dirk Nowitzki
Dirkenstien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2004, 02:47 AM   #160
Evilmav2
Diamond Member

Evilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Provoked verbally or physically? You can't punch a guy for an insult, the law is very clear on that.
Sure, you can't punch a guy for merely insulting you, but you can use a reasonable degree of force to protect yourself from any person(s) who assault you. The actions that the first fan took in throwing threatening profanity and a full beer at Artest constitutes both assault and battery, thus the question of whether or not Artest used reasonable force to protect himself from the aggressor(s) in the crowd is something that only a court of law can decide.

Assault:
[i]A crime that occurs when one person tries to physically harm another in a way that makes the person under attack feel immediately threatened. Actual physical contact is not necessary; threatening gestures that would alarm any reasonable person can constitute an assault.

Battery:
A crime consisting of physical contact that is intended to harm someone. Unintentional harmful contact is not battery, no mater how careless the behavior or how severe the injury. A fist fight is a common battery; being hit by a wild pitch in a baseball game is not.