Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 11-01-2014, 04:06 PM   #121
LonghornDub

LonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ffballer View Post
haha thanks for the love guys lol but just said the truth, felton came to be the starting pg, jameer is doing a great job but im just being realistic here.Now if jameer keeps playing this good then its gonna be unanimous that hes gonna start all the games, but who knows
The Mavs signed Nelson after acquiring Felton--so during the interim period Felton was, perhaps, the de facto "starting PG"--but you can rest assured that the Mavs had Nelson on their radar all along, and were always hoping they could get him so that they could avoid having to start Felton.

"Your'e a low-mentality drama gay queen!!" -- She_Growls

Last edited by LonghornDub; 11-01-2014 at 04:07 PM.
LonghornDub is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-01-2014, 05:40 PM   #122
Five-ofan
Guru

Five-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond repute

I was never a jj fan(although he was huge in the 11 playoffs) and I honestly probably would have preferred keeping Mekel despite my dislike of him. But jj is a 12th man who's can be occasionally change a game. You can't ask for more than that out of someone that deep on your bench.
Five-ofan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2014, 06:03 PM   #123
grndmstr_c
Diamond Member

grndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Five-ofan View Post
I was never a jj fan(although he was huge in the 11 playoffs) and I honestly probably would have preferred keeping Mekel despite my dislike of him. But jj is a 12th man who's can be occasionally change a game. You can't ask for more than that out of someone that deep on your bench.
I likewise wasn't always a big fan of his game, but I thought the turnaround for him really came well before the playoffs that year, specifically when Rick started having him come in with Dirk late in the first quarter. He was consistently effective in that role that year, he was effective in that role the other night against the Jazz, and I have to say that I'll be more than a little surprised if he ends up just being a 12th man for this team given that precedent.
Old 11-01-2014, 06:19 PM   #124
Five-ofan
Guru

Five-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by grndmstr_c View Post
I likewise wasn't always a big fan of his game, but I thought the turnaround for him really came well before the playoffs that year, specifically when Rick started having him come in with Dirk late in the first quarter. He was consistently effective in that role that year, he was effective in that role the other night against the Jazz, and I have to say that I'll be more than a little surprised if he ends up just being a 12th man for this team given that precedent.
12th man is a bit much, he'll get 12 minutes a game pretty consistently I think. Basically I'd compare him to a small version of Blair from last year. Probably gets consistent minutes but doesn't get a ton each game. My main point was that if he sucks, he won't play enough to hurt us, if he actually gets minutes it will mean he's helping us. So there is no real downside to the move. Had we brought him in on the contract he signed in minny or brought him in to be the 6th man I'd hate this move. But for what he's going to actually do? I'm fine with it
Old 11-01-2014, 06:19 PM   #125
Five-ofan
Guru

Quote:
12th man is a bit much, he'll get 12 minutes a game pretty consistently I think. Basically I'd compare him to a small version of Blair from last year. Probably gets consistent minutes but doesn't get a ton each game. My main point was that if he sucks, he won't play enough to hurt us, if he actually gets minutes it will mean he's helping us. So there is no real downside to the move. Had we brought him in on the contract he signed in minny or brought him in to be the 6th man I'd hate this move. But for what he's going to actually do? I'm fine with it
Old 11-01-2014, 09:26 PM   #126
johneric8

johneric8 is a jewel in the roughjohneric8 is a jewel in the roughjohneric8 is a jewel in the roughjohneric8 is a jewel in the roughjohneric8 is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by rimrocker View Post
Glad you spoke out and you should do more often as you seem to have a lot to offer this board.

People seem to be biased when only seeing what they want to see. They see a small guy and only look at the negative aspects. But Barea's small size allows him to get under people and basically bug the crap out of them. And when they put the ball on the floor the advantage tilts heavily in his favor. When he dribbles he makes defenses work and actually seems to create chaos for defenses.
He certainly has his flaws but it bothers me too when people stereotype size and automatically think he doesn't deserve PT or to even be in the league.
I think he brings a lot of personality to the team that we lacked...not sure who the crowd favorite would have been after losing VC before JJ showed up.
I too think he will do a lot for this team this season and be a big factor down the stretch.

Keep posting!!!
I appreciate your kind response man.. Yeah, I've been a member here a long time and preferred siting back and reading post, but after remembering my feelings on Barea and being proven right before I had to speak up again. Back when he was with us before I would defend him on other forums because I saw greatness in the kid and I just couldn't believe no one else thought he was worth a crap.... I think its obvious even in these couple of games that Barea will greatly disrupt the other teams with his tenacity and smarts. It also doesn't hurt that he can hit the three and get to the rim as well... I must admit, I'm very excited to see Tyson Chandler and Barea back, those where two of my favorite players quite honestly. I'm on cloud nine with what Mark has managed to do with this team....
johneric8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2014, 06:47 AM   #127
dirt_dobber
Diamond Member

dirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by johneric8 View Post
Barea will greatly disrupt the other teams with his tenacity and smarts
in last nights win vs Peli's... played 14 min
JJB shot 57% with 8 points, 3 assists, 1 steal and with the highest +/- after Dirk with a +13

Last edited by dirt_dobber; 11-02-2014 at 07:05 AM.
dirt_dobber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2014, 07:32 AM   #128
Budapest Maverick
Platinum Member

Budapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant future

I think that's the sweet sport for him this season 15 to 18 minutes, unless Felton can do damage. If he's not, that's the perfect time for Jose to have a positive impact. He was awesome yesterday, controlled aggression. I just hope Rick won't overplay him.

Last edited by Budapest Maverick; 11-02-2014 at 07:34 AM.
Budapest Maverick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 12:53 PM   #129
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I never post, but have always followed this board but I just have to say many of you are so full of it I can't believe it...... The year of the mavs championship season there were so many of you hatin on Barea, and I even commented on how much I thought it could help this team.. It was obvious to me that he was a baller and could really help! The naysayers wanted to ship him out just like they do now... Haven't you learned anything? The guy has skills when motivated and playing with the right people.. He has those intangibles that can't be taught.. Having this kid on the team is a huge upgrade and I would venture to say he is going to do incredible things for this team this year... Those of you doubting him have seriously short memories...
What people probably need to realize is that the Mavs have sometimes had a bit of an absence of ability to attack the rim from the PG spot with the intent to score or pass. Barea brings that from the 1/2 spot. Plus, as I stated somewhere else on this forum recently, he can give the Spurs some fits. So, it made sense. I don't know what he'll be. He might be the 4th PG or he might end up an important part of the rotation once it's all said and done. We won't really know until Felton comes back. I don't know what Carlisle plans on doing. But, he's a nice piece to have either in the rotation or just outside of it but ready to step in as needed.
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 12:57 PM   #130
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsar View Post
I read the RealGM Timberwolves forum thread about Barea being bought out: a lot of people seem to think he shouldn't have been signed (as in not a good situation for him to go into) and that he was used the wrong way. It seems like he also complained about the lack of playing time on THAT team... what's going to happen here? A lot of people there are happy to see him go.

"Also barea was less of a scapegoat as he was legitimately awful."

"It's strange how his stats were decent for a guy so ****."

"I am so happy that bum is out of here. We won't have him single handedly costing us games."

"Barea was treated better than deserved. The amount of games we lost or almost lost because of him was immense."

"Barea this past season was 14th out of 15 on the team in RAPM with a -3.45 total. He just beat out Shabazz who was a rookie and only got garbage minutes. Barea, meanwhile, was 7th on the team in minutes played and sulked on the bench when things didn't go his way."

"Thank goodness!
In terms of good memories though, gotta give him some massive props for that OKC game last season (or the season before?)."

"Congrats guys! Should never have been signed but it's great that I don't have to watch him anymore."

"Shall we make today a holiday ? I say yes"

It seems like Adelman didn't know when to reign him in. Hopefully Carlisle does.
"Those late 4th quarters where JJ was in the game still were on Adelman. Its up to the coach to know who needs to be in there."

None of those quotes are encouraging and the teams fans usually have a better grasp of what's going on than most in the media. Especially for a small market team like the Wolves.
He'll be playing alongside Dirk quite a bit. That'll make his job easier. He'll probably be playing limited minutes.. Again, that'll probably make life easier for him as well.
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2014, 06:31 PM   #131
CGM
Golden Member

CGM has a brilliant futureCGM has a brilliant futureCGM has a brilliant futureCGM has a brilliant futureCGM has a brilliant futureCGM has a brilliant futureCGM has a brilliant futureCGM has a brilliant futureCGM has a brilliant futureCGM has a brilliant futureCGM has a brilliant future

This kid simply loves Dallas....
http://www.mavs.com/videos/cyber-dus...=videos_110814
Old 11-08-2014, 10:57 PM   #132
DavidDaMonkey
Platinum Member

DavidDaMonkey has a reputation beyond reputeDavidDaMonkey has a reputation beyond reputeDavidDaMonkey has a reputation beyond reputeDavidDaMonkey has a reputation beyond reputeDavidDaMonkey has a reputation beyond reputeDavidDaMonkey has a reputation beyond reputeDavidDaMonkey has a reputation beyond reputeDavidDaMonkey has a reputation beyond reputeDavidDaMonkey has a reputation beyond reputeDavidDaMonkey has a reputation beyond reputeDavidDaMonkey has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by CGM View Post
Haha, Cubes is really pushing this CyberDust stuff hard.
Old 11-09-2014, 02:02 PM   #133
bunkmoreland

bunkmoreland is a splendid one to beholdbunkmoreland is a splendid one to beholdbunkmoreland is a splendid one to beholdbunkmoreland is a splendid one to beholdbunkmoreland is a splendid one to beholdbunkmoreland is a splendid one to beholdbunkmoreland is a splendid one to beholdbunkmoreland is a splendid one to beholdbunkmoreland is a splendid one to beholdbunkmoreland is a splendid one to beholdbunkmoreland is a splendid one to behold

I always find it funny that Kenny Smith calls him Barrera.
bunkmoreland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2014, 04:58 PM   #134
CGM
Golden Member

CGM has a brilliant futureCGM has a brilliant futureCGM has a brilliant futureCGM has a brilliant futureCGM has a brilliant futureCGM has a brilliant futureCGM has a brilliant futureCGM has a brilliant futureCGM has a brilliant futureCGM has a brilliant futureCGM has a brilliant future

JJB on D41 and the Heated tonight...
http://www.mavs.com/videos/shootarou...n=video_110914
Old 11-19-2014, 11:08 PM   #135
johneric8

johneric8 is a jewel in the roughjohneric8 is a jewel in the roughjohneric8 is a jewel in the roughjohneric8 is a jewel in the roughjohneric8 is a jewel in the rough

are some of you doubters ready to give Barea his respect? I can't believe how quickly some of you idgits forgotten how awesome he is with dirk..... he is a game changer and its time you admit you were dead wrong.
Old 11-19-2014, 11:13 PM   #136
CGM
Golden Member

...and finally, some well-deserved appreciation, some much-needed love....

Quote:
It was a wintry night in our nation’s capital, but as temperatures continued to dip J.J. Barea was just heating up. Monta Ellis will get most of the headlines with his 34-point performance, but it was the game’s smallest player who came up big in the game’s final minutes.

The diminutive guard’s 10-point, four assist fourth quarter helped propel the Dallas Mavericks to their fifth straight win and ended Washington’s unblemished home record in the process. It was reminiscent of the clutch performances during Dallas’ championship run that earned him a big contract from the Minnesota Timberwolves, and on a night where most of the team struggled from the field it couldn’t have come at a better time.

He threw two alley-oop passes to Brandan Wright that resulted in three-point plays in the span of a minute, and hit several timely jumpers down the stretch in the back-and-forth contest.

His 17-footer put the Mavs up 94-93 with just over three minutes remaining. After Nene scored to put the Wizards up one, Barea nailed a 22-footer with the shot clock winding down to put the Mavs back on top. Then, after harassing Bradley Beal into an offensive foul on Washington’s next possession, Barea drilled a three-pointer to extend the lead to four and the Mavs never looked back.

With Devin Harris missing the game due to leg soreness the Mavs were counting on Barea to provide solid backup guard play. But few expected an outburst like that with the game on the line.

Barea didn’t exactly set the world on fire with his play in Minnesota, and with Jameer Nelson, Devin Harris, and Raymond Felton already on the roster the signing of Barea didn’t come with high expectations. But it’s already paid off for the Mavs. After all, good things come in small packages.
http://thesmokingcuban.com/2014/11/1...g-crunch-time/
Old 11-19-2014, 11:19 PM   #137
LonghornDub

LonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonghornDub View Post
The Mavs signed Nelson after acquiring Felton--so during the interim period Felton was, perhaps, the de facto "starting PG"--but you can rest assured that the Mavs had Nelson on their radar all along, and were always hoping they could get him so that they could avoid having to start Felton.
It's funny...Jameer has been so bad, I'm ready to see what Felton's got.

Old 11-30-2014, 11:03 AM   #138
johneric8

Quote:
I never post, but have always followed this board but I just have to say many of you are so full of it I can't believe it...... The year of the mavs championship season there were so many of you hatin on Barea, and I even commented on how much I thought it could help this team.. It was obvious to me that he was a baller and could really help! The naysayers wanted to ship him out just like they do now... Haven't you learned anything? The guy has skills when motivated and playing with the right people.. He has those intangibles that can't be taught.. Having this kid on the team is a huge upgrade and I would venture to say he is going to do incredible things for this team this year... Those of you doubting him have seriously short memories...
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Man View Post
Be honest Mavs fans. JJB was never a great player for us except in the 2011 playoffs. We ended up playing 2 teams that did not have anyone quick enough to cover him. He killed the Lakers because Derrick Fisher was 40 years old. Before that he was mostly inconsistent. I love him because without him, we don't win the championship. Starting him against Miami was one of the riskiest, smartest coaching moves in an NBA Finals of my lifetime, and I turn 60 today.

But do I expect him to be a lot of help now, when all the teams we need to beat are stocked with young, quick guards? Not really. If Carlisle wants him, I'm ok with it, but its not like I'm jumping for joy.
how do you feel now about jjb buddy? please ellaborate.
Old 11-30-2014, 11:05 AM   #139
johneric8

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSMF View Post
Didn't JJ complain about lack of playing time in Minny? So how is he supposed to be fine with potentially being the 3rd or 4th string PG on this team? Nelson is the starting PG, Devin is his backup, which would leave Barea battling with Felton for 3rd string minutes. How is this supposed to work?

I never had any doubt it would work in fact it was obvious .... how do you feel now after looking at what your eyes tell you and not to mention the stat sheet for jjb.
Old 11-30-2014, 11:09 AM   #140
johneric8

Quote:
Originally Posted by spreedom View Post
Something I think a lot of folks are forgetting is that JJ isn't and never really was a PG. Now it's true that in Carlisle's system, guards (and wings in general) don't really have defined positions, I would say that JJ is a guy who would be playing next to Devin more often than he'd be taking his minutes.

I would be okay with signing Barea and waiving Mekel, I guess, but honestly the move doesn't excite me that much. Barea is great if you can give him 20MPG and free reign to drive and create chaos, but I don't see where those opportunities come from on this roster if everyone's healthy. Combine that with the fact that Dirk and Tyson (one season) are the only guys on this roster that have played with JJ... I honestly think I'd rather just keep Mekel, who has played with all of these guys and was showing some growth and value during the preseason. Maybe if we replaced Felton instead, I'd be cool with it, but to cut bait on Mekel, who we've invested a lot of time in, just to bring back Barea, who might not really have a clear role here... I don't know. I wouldn't absolutely hate the move but I wouldn't be that excited about it either.
are you excited now? jjb has been what I expected. darn good!
Old 11-30-2014, 02:11 PM   #141
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

Crickets
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
dude1394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2014, 02:36 PM   #142
grndmstr_c
Diamond Member

grndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond repute

Not a good thing when half your posts are I-told-you-so's.
Old 11-30-2014, 11:04 PM   #143
johneric8

I'll admit it, I was upset at some of you slagging on jjb, I honestly didn't get it. sometimes I think people try to think like others without looking at the facts. I'm just happy some of you don't own the team.
Old 12-01-2014, 12:13 AM   #144
LonghornDub

Quote:
I'm just happy some of you don't own the team.
Yeah, I mean, I'd have a pretty, pretty tough time just paying Ledo's salary.

Old 12-01-2014, 11:21 PM   #145
DirkFTW
Diamond Member

DirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonghornDub View Post
Yeah, I mean, I'd have a pretty, pretty tough time just paying Ledo's salary.
I'm sure a couple competitive match-ups would bring in the ticket revenues.

Oh. And no half-court contests.
DirkFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2014, 02:55 AM   #146
escobar317

escobar317 is a jewel in the roughescobar317 is a jewel in the roughescobar317 is a jewel in the rough
Default No worries JohnEric

Quote:
Not a good thing when half your posts are I-told-you-so's.
Most people here don't like to admit when they're wrong. I went through the same pain defending the Monta Ellis signing.

It's entertaining to watch everyone restructure their arguments afterwards though.
escobar317 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 10:12 PM   #147
spreedom
Diamond Member

spreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond repute

I would like to say that while I was somewhere between "who cares" and "no way" with regards to dumping Mekel for Barea, JJ has easily been the second-best guard on the roster so far this year.
spreedom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2014, 07:08 PM   #148
johneric8

Quote:
Originally Posted by spreedom View Post
I would like to say that while I was somewhere between "who cares" and "no way" with regards to dumping Mekel for Barea, JJ has easily been the second-best guard on the roster so far this year.
At least you are seeing it for what it is.. Barea has always had that gift you just can't teach... His tenacity is spectacular and he benefits from having this team around him... I love JJB..
Old 07-16-2015, 10:15 AM   #149
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

‏@BallinWithBryan: Mavs make the signing of J.J. Barea official.

Welcome back.... again!

These days being a fan is a competition to see who can be the most upset when
your team loses. That proves you love winning more. That's how it works.

Last edited by Underdog; 07-16-2015 at 10:15 AM.
Underdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2015, 11:00 AM   #150
hayth.james.g
Golden Member

hayth.james.g has a brilliant futurehayth.james.g has a brilliant futurehayth.james.g has a brilliant futurehayth.james.g has a brilliant futurehayth.james.g has a brilliant futurehayth.james.g has a brilliant futurehayth.james.g has a brilliant futurehayth.james.g has a brilliant futurehayth.james.g has a brilliant futurehayth.james.g has a brilliant futurehayth.james.g has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underdog View Post
‏@BallinWithBryan: Mavs make the signing of J.J. Barea official.

Welcome back.... again!
4 for 16 any thoughts on that price?
hayth.james.g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2015, 11:03 AM   #151
Melonhead
Guru

Melonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond repute

Whoa at the price jump for barea
Old 07-16-2015, 11:09 AM   #152
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by hayth.james.g View Post
4 for 16 any thoughts on that price?
Not worried about the 4-year, $16m with the cap spike around the corner -- we have backup PG locked up for the rest of Dirk's career.

Last edited by Underdog; 07-16-2015 at 11:10 AM.
Old 07-16-2015, 11:33 AM   #153
bunkmoreland

bunkmoreland is a splendid one to beholdbunkmoreland is a splendid one to beholdbunkmoreland is a splendid one to beholdbunkmoreland is a splendid one to beholdbunkmoreland is a splendid one to beholdbunkmoreland is a splendid one to beholdbunkmoreland is a splendid one to beholdbunkmoreland is a splendid one to beholdbunkmoreland is a splendid one to beholdbunkmoreland is a splendid one to beholdbunkmoreland is a splendid one to behold

This does mean, though, that there is less money than we had previously thought (based on $2.7 million for Barea this year) to spend on a backup center. Perhaps they don't think any of the remaining backup center candidates are worth spending on anyway.

Last edited by bunkmoreland; 07-16-2015 at 11:34 AM.
bunkmoreland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2015, 11:43 AM   #154
purplefrog
Platinum Member

purplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by bunkmoreland View Post
This does mean, though, that there is less money than we had previously thought (based on $2.7 million for Barea this year) to spend on a backup center. Perhaps they don't think any of the remaining backup center candidates are worth spending on anyway.
Sounds to me like the Mavs did not use the room exception on JJB. So that may be still available for someone and then a second slot for whatever (if any) cap space is still left.
Old 07-16-2015, 11:53 AM   #155
dirt_dobber
Diamond Member

dirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond repute

His assist-turnover ratio (3.78-1) ranked behind only the Clippers' Chris Paul and the Nuggets' Ty Lawson
dirt_dobber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2015, 11:57 AM   #156
Underdog

@DickCarlisle: Considering salary and wife situation, @jjbareapr might be the biggest over achiever on the earth today

Old 07-16-2015, 12:22 PM   #157
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

DevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond repute

4/16 for Barea but Lin gets 2/4.3? Hmm...

DevinHarriswillstart is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2015, 01:19 PM   #158
Underdog

Barea had a larger offer on the table from Miami, but opted to sign with Dallas when DeAndre Jordan made a verbal commitment to the Mavs... I wonder if that had anything to do with his 4/16? Were the initial numbers contingent on Jordan coming here, like Wesley Matthews?

Last edited by Underdog; 07-16-2015 at 01:21 PM.
Old 07-16-2015, 01:33 PM   #159
Bryan_Wilson
Diamond Member

Bryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond repute

Well that hurts cap this year. I guess the plus is the cap is exploding and we have a backup slotted in for 4m per and room exception would have only been 2 years. I mean I guess it's not bad but.... At least give me some news that felton is gone now that JJ is making more.

Last edited by Bryan_Wilson; 07-16-2015 at 01:33 PM.
Bryan_Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2015, 01:48 PM   #160
NeedlesKane
Platinum Member

NeedlesKane has a brilliant futureNeedlesKane has a brilliant futureNeedlesKane has a brilliant futureNeedlesKane has a brilliant futureNeedlesKane has a brilliant futureNeedlesKane has a brilliant futureNeedlesKane has a brilliant futureNeedlesKane has a brilliant futureNeedlesKane has a brilliant futureNeedlesKane has a brilliant futureNeedlesKane has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underdog View Post
Barea had a larger offer on the table from Miami, but opted to sign with Dallas when DeAndre Jordan made a verbal commitment to the Mavs... I wonder if that had anything to do with his 4/16? Were the initial numbers contingent on Jordan coming here, like Wesley Matthews?
More than likely you're on to something. Both Matthews and J.J. were willing to play in Dallas for less money should it help the team in acquiring DeAndre Jordan. However, since they are now unable to sign anyone like him they decided to give the players what they would have made elsewhere.