Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 05-01-2012, 08:22 AM   #121
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by nowhereman View Post
We've seen Dirk play with a clear cut top-10 center once in his entire career and that's the year the Mavericks went on a ridiculous tear through the playoffs and Nowitzki had one of the five greatest playoff runs in NBA history. He covers so many mistakes. It really makes you think 'if only' about the last 7 years.
Yup.. And we've seen what dirk can do with a top flight point as well, we just had to wait 5-6 years to get another one. Dirk will never play with another,center the quality of Ty.
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
dude1394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-01-2012, 08:52 AM   #122
Wang Zhi Zhi

Wang Zhi Zhi is a name known to allWang Zhi Zhi is a name known to allWang Zhi Zhi is a name known to allWang Zhi Zhi is a name known to allWang Zhi Zhi is a name known to allWang Zhi Zhi is a name known to allWang Zhi Zhi is a name known to allWang Zhi Zhi is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by b_o_r View Post
We can talk about the miscues until we are blue in the face, but Westbrook is having his way with Kidd/West/Terry with his jumper. May not be a popular opinion, but I would consider putting Roddy on Westbrook. His jumper is very clockwork with the timing...1..2..3..stop and pop. Roddy had it down pat in the last meeting and got a couple of blocks frustrating Russell and I believe he shot horrible the rest of the game. They have to do something to get him out of rhythm.
It's true. Roddy definitely bothered WB a lot on those. And with the way WB now has Terry on lock-down on D, I think it's worth a try.
Wang Zhi Zhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 09:37 AM   #123
MavsWiLLHaVeRinGs
Diamond Member

MavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by beatLA View Post
if we didn't win it all last year, I wouldn't feel so disappointed now.

I have to stop thinking winning it all this year.
See this (and no offense to you personally) is the ass backwards mentality most sports fans have.

If we didn't win it all last year these two losses would be soooooooo much more devastating. We'd all be thinking Dirk is never going to get a ring, everyone would be bashing the Mavs calling them soft x10 like they did before last season. It would truly be a sad thing.

As for me: don't care, won championship. (ok I care somewhat, but not as much if we hadn't won a championship.)

Last edited by MavsWiLLHaVeRinGs; 05-01-2012 at 09:39 AM.
MavsWiLLHaVeRinGs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 09:42 AM   #124
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by BGMaverick9 View Post
If no one has claimed it, I want Game 3.

The team was stuck at the airport for an additional hour due to severe weather in the area. It was coming down pretty hard and there were reports of hail, so they had to cover the plane. There were almost thoughts of saying f-it and just drive back home. The weather eventually turned and they made it back home around 2:25. Coaches were digging into the film heavy while we were waiting.
I say done!
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
Old 05-01-2012, 09:45 AM   #125
SchumiWDC

SchumiWDC is a name known to allSchumiWDC is a name known to allSchumiWDC is a name known to allSchumiWDC is a name known to allSchumiWDC is a name known to allSchumiWDC is a name known to allSchumiWDC is a name known to allSchumiWDC is a name known to all

LOL, couldn't believe this article when I read it...

http://newsok.com/dirk-cheap-nowitzk...rticle/3671430
SchumiWDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 09:47 AM   #126
thunderfan

thunderfan is a jewel in the roughthunderfan is a jewel in the roughthunderfan is a jewel in the roughthunderfan is a jewel in the roughthunderfan is a jewel in the rough

This game had some horrendous foul calls going both ways at times. I was there in person. Dirk was given some extremely generous calls, some of which were the result of some spectacular and absurd acting/flopping. Were the refs trying to call this thing close in the 2nd half to keep the scuffles to a minimum or what? Holy crap. Dallas, of course, got some ticky-tack fouls called on them as well, benefitting OKC. Dallas is just so darn methodical and it gives OKC trouble. They are very smart defensively as well, making up for any physical shortcomings they might have in terms of length and speed. KD just flat out doesn't know what the hell's going on in this series. Marion has him frustrated and confused or he's just completely off his game, or a little of both.
thunderfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 09:49 AM   #127
thunderfan

thunderfan is a jewel in the roughthunderfan is a jewel in the roughthunderfan is a jewel in the roughthunderfan is a jewel in the roughthunderfan is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchumiWDC View Post

Jenni Carlson wrote that. That's about all I can say. She writes some retarded stuff.
Old 05-01-2012, 09:50 AM   #128
mavsman

mavsman is a splendid one to beholdmavsman is a splendid one to beholdmavsman is a splendid one to beholdmavsman is a splendid one to beholdmavsman is a splendid one to beholdmavsman is a splendid one to beholdmavsman is a splendid one to beholdmavsman is a splendid one to beholdmavsman is a splendid one to beholdmavsman is a splendid one to beholdmavsman is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale4Saul2Red0 View Post
Did you even post here during the run last year? Seriously who are you?
In fact he did post here last year. This is what he had to say after game 4 of the Blazers-series:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Como11 View Post
Dallas Choke Mavericks. You will always be an embarrassment
and then game 4 vs OKC
Quote:
Dirk can't do much against this team anymore. They got him figured out.
and during game 2 of the finals
Quote:
Mavericks fucking suck. [...] We will always be losers until we just completely blow the team up apart.
and in December 2011
Quote:
I have a horrible feeling this team will not make the playoffs
So, yes, he did post here last year and he can clearly predict the future like no other.
mavsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 09:52 AM   #129
MavsWiLLHaVeRinGs
Diamond Member

MavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant future

LMAO, Como just got pnwed.
Old 05-01-2012, 09:53 AM   #130
dude1394
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by mavsman View Post
In fact he did post here last year. This is what he had to say after game 4 of the Blazers-series:

and then game 4 vs OKC

and during game 2 of the finals

and in December 2011

So, yes, he did post here last year and he can clearly predict the future like no other.
This looks like an ass-whipping of epic PORPORTIONS!
Old 05-01-2012, 09:55 AM   #131
GhostFace
Platinum Member

GhostFace has a brilliant futureGhostFace has a brilliant futureGhostFace has a brilliant futureGhostFace has a brilliant futureGhostFace has a brilliant futureGhostFace has a brilliant futureGhostFace has a brilliant futureGhostFace has a brilliant futureGhostFace has a brilliant futureGhostFace has a brilliant futureGhostFace has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by BGMaverick9 View Post
If no one has claimed it, I want Game 3.

The team was stuck at the airport for an additional hour due to severe weather in the area. It was coming down pretty hard and there were reports of hail, so they had to cover the plane. There were almost thoughts of saying f-it and just drive back home. The weather eventually turned and they made it back home around 2:25. Coaches were digging into the film heavy while we were waiting.
All you bro.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MavsWiLLHaVeRinGs View Post
Any Mav fan would love to see him be a Mav without even thinking once about it. Anyone who wouldn't is fucking stupid plain and simple.
Ok...?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchumiWDC View Post

Saw the title and closed the page. I can't even fathom how someone can even conjure up something of that nature. Good grief are sports writers that desperate for a drama filled story?

"What Dirk is doing is legendary stuff, this is a joke how good this man is" - JVG

Last edited by GhostFace; 05-01-2012 at 10:07 AM.
GhostFace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 10:15 AM   #132
nowhereman
Diamond Member

nowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond repute

Wow - Dirk as public enemy #1 in OKC? Thanks! Because, honestly, none of those guys are even on my top 10 (in no order - Bowen, Mcdyess, West, Paul, Wade, Martin, Anderson, Baron Davis, Barnes, Odom, and probably some Sacramento guys). It's kinda awesome that they care so much. It's like Utah hating Dirk ostensibly because they think he's dirty, but really because he'll go out and score 29 points on them in the fourth quarter, and they're pissed that he's surpassed Malone. This really comes down to 48 points on 15 shots, and kicking OKC's ass while KD busts out a championship belt.

Can you say butt hurt?

If anything, I'm super grateful to them for rolling over in game 4 last year, and for Durant's foul on Marion's layup in game 5 helping us close out that series early. Just the shot in the arm we needed to keep us sharp going into the finals.

Quote:
RT @TyLawson3 Good game between Dallas and Portland. Good thing we didn't end up getting Dallas. Coach Karl lost his mind.
nowhereman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 10:21 AM   #133
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

DevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond repute

Does it go too far to say that Marion has been the best Maverick this season? I really don't think there is a better man defender in the league.

DevinHarriswillstart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 10:22 AM   #134
MavsWiLLHaVeRinGs
Diamond Member

So Ghostface you wouldn't take Westbrook on our team, even though our point guards are a 39 year old and some backups? He's close to a top 5 pg in the league.

I think someone averaging over 23ppg and who attacks and is a pretty good defender would help our team. But maybe I'm crazy.

Last edited by MavsWiLLHaVeRinGs; 05-01-2012 at 10:25 AM.
Old 05-01-2012, 10:25 AM   #135
thunderfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevinHarriswillstart View Post
Does it go too far to say that Marion has been the best Maverick this season? I really don't think there is a better man defender in the league.
He's an exceptional defender if he wants to be.
Old 05-01-2012, 10:29 AM   #136
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
He's definitely been the most consistent, no doubt...

I don't know what our plans are this summer, but if trading Marion is in the cards, then his value has to be at an all-time high after these last two seasons.

These days being a fan is a competition to see who can be the most upset when
your team loses. That proves you love winning more. That's how it works.
Underdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 10:30 AM   #137
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderfan View Post
You can drop the backhanded "if he wants to be" - Shawn Marion is one of the best defenders in the league every night he suits-up.

It's his offense that comes and goes...

These days being a fan is a competition to see who can be the most upset when
your team loses. That proves you love winning more. That's how it works.
Underdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 10:38 AM   #138
thunderfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underdog View Post
You can drop the backhanded "if he wants to be" - Shawn Marion is one of the best defenders in the league every night he suits-up.

It's his offense that comes and goes...
Quit reading into everything like a woman. I was complimenting the guy's defense.
Old 05-01-2012, 10:39 AM   #139
dude1394
Guru

Quote:
Man that's bogus. When does he not want to be?
Old 05-01-2012, 10:42 AM   #140
MavsWiLLHaVeRinGs
Diamond Member

Kevin Durant can sure hit free throws if he wants to.

That's because he gets plenty of in game practice on them.

I just gave Durant a compliment like thunderfan's Marion compliment. Don't read too much into it like a woman.
Old 05-01-2012, 10:47 AM   #141
thunderfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by dude1394 View Post
Man that's bogus. When does he not want to be?
Hell, I don't know what the guy wants or doesn't want. I was just saying he's an exceptional defender.
Old 05-01-2012, 10:47 AM   #142
thunderfan

Quote:
Kevin Durant can sure hit free throws if he wants to.

That's because he gets plenty of in game practice on them.

I just gave Durant a compliment like thunderfan's Marion compliment. Don't read too much into it like a woman.
He's usually pretty reliable at the stripe.
Old 05-01-2012, 10:49 AM   #143
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

DevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
He's usually pretty reliable at the stripe.
And Marion is pretty much always a good defender. His "want to" is tops in that regard.

DevinHarriswillstart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 10:52 AM   #144
thunderfan

Quote:
And Marion is pretty much always a good defender. His "want to" is tops in that regard.
Maybe so. I wasn't suggesting it wasn't. I've seen guys who appear as though they don't give a **** sometime, so basically I was just saying Marion has the ability to be an exceptional defender.
Old 05-01-2012, 10:56 AM   #145
nowhereman
Diamond Member

nowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond repute

I really don't need, one way or the other, another team's fan's endorsement of Marion's defensive capabilities. Let's just hope Trix continues to find ways to contain Durant. So far, he's done an incredible job taking away KD's dominant foot on his drives, cutting off his preferred spots, and contesting everything. We just need a guy who can do that consistently to Harden, and hope our bigs can improve their rotations when Ibaka/Collison/etc slide backdoor.

Quote:
RT @TyLawson3 Good game between Dallas and Portland. Good thing we didn't end up getting Dallas. Coach Karl lost his mind.
nowhereman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 10:58 AM   #146
GhostFace
Platinum Member

GhostFace has a brilliant futureGhostFace has a brilliant futureGhostFace has a brilliant futureGhostFace has a brilliant futureGhostFace has a brilliant futureGhostFace has a brilliant futureGhostFace has a brilliant futureGhostFace has a brilliant futureGhostFace has a brilliant futureGhostFace has a brilliant futureGhostFace has a brilliant future

Quote:
So Ghostface you wouldn't take Westbrook on our team, even though our point guards are a 39 year old and some backups? He's close to a top 5 pg in the league.

I think someone averaging over 23ppg and who attacks and is a pretty good defender would help our team. But maybe I'm crazy.
Show where I said or implied any of that?

Westbook posts impressive stats yes, I am not debating that. What I am saying is he has a tendency to shoot OKC out of the game in critical moments. I can't remember the last time Rose did the same. Maybe last year against the Heat he could've passed it up instead of taking that really bad shot off the dribble.

I don't know who these "some people" are that you spoke about in your original post, but the issue may critics have with Westbook is that is takes far too many unnecessary shots instead of passing it off to Durant who many trust far more with the ball.

Why would I want Brian (Russell, thanks SMC0007) Westbrook as a Mav when we're going after Deron? I don't understand. If you mean hypothetically then which team with an aging PG or teams that don't even have a solid PG not want him...?

"What Dirk is doing is legendary stuff, this is a joke how good this man is" - JVG

Last edited by GhostFace; 05-01-2012 at 11:08 AM.
Old 05-01-2012, 11:06 AM   #147
MavsWiLLHaVeRinGs
Diamond Member

Well of course it's hypothetical, last I checked he just signed a max contract extension with OKC.
Old 05-01-2012, 11:06 AM   #148
SMC0007
Guru

SMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by GhostFace View Post
Show where I said or implied any of that?

Westbook posts impressive stats yes, I am not debating that. What I am saying is he has a tendency to shoot OKC out of the game in critical moments. I can't remember the last time Rose did the same. Maybe last year against the Heat he could've passed it up instead of taking that really bad shot off the dribble.

I don't know who these "some people" are that you spoke about in your original post, but the issue may critics have with Westbook is that is takes far too many unnecessary shots instead of passing it off to Durant who many trust far more with the ball.

Why would I want Brian Westbrook as a Mav when we're going after Deron? I don't understand. If you mean hypothetically then which team with an aging PG or teams that don't even have a solid PG not want him...?
I'm lost.

you just proofed how stupid you are - CRAZYBOY
SMC0007 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 11:07 AM   #149
MavsWiLLHaVeRinGs
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMC0007 View Post
I'm lost.
lol nice catch.

Brian Westbrook is past his prime, he was great on the Eagles but I don't think he'll help the Mavs.
Old 05-01-2012, 11:07 AM   #150
GhostFace
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMC0007 View Post
I'm lost.
Lol thanks. Eagles player.. always mix up Russell and Brian.

Old 05-01-2012, 11:08 AM   #151
beatLA

beatLA is a jewel in the roughbeatLA is a jewel in the roughbeatLA is a jewel in the roughbeatLA is a jewel in the rough

I'm sick of biased officiating in NBA. It's hurting real fans who have true love for basketball.
Old 05-01-2012, 11:11 AM   #152
LonghornDub

LonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond repute

Mavs may well win the next two. But even if not, I'm pretty proud of their effort. Wish they could close out games better, but that's sports. Sometimes Dirk hits that wide open three, sometimes he doesn't. Sometimes Terry makes one of those last-gasp bombs, sometimes he doesn't. Just fell the wrong way this time (and a lot this season, as it were).

"Your'e a low-mentality drama gay queen!!" -- She_Growls
LonghornDub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 11:20 AM   #153
BGMaverick9
Guru

BGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond repute

just in case this link doesn't work.
http://www.mavsfastbreak.com/2012/05...g-to-lay-down/

Quote:
OKLAHOMA CITY — It was another down to the wire game between the Mavericks and the Thunder. Oklahoma City came out on top again with a 102-99 victory. The Thunder now have a 2-0 lead in the best-of-seven series as the series shifts back to Dallas on Thursday night.

The Mavericks are down 2-0 in the series due to a painful course of repetition. Once again, Dallas had issues finding a way to score in the final stretch of the game. They had two buckets in the final 2:17 of the game, a Vince Carter jumper and a layup by Jason Terry. Oklahoma City didn’t hit a field goal in the final 4:51 of the game, but found points at the free throw line as they went a perfect 8-of-8 from the line down the stretch. This now marks the fourth game in Oklahoma City where Dallas has led in the final minute of the game only to see their opponent come out victorious. “Well, it’s tough,” Dirk Nowitzki admitted. “Really, all four games we’ve had here — two in the regular season and two in the playoffs — we’re right there and really we’re just a couple of bounces away from being up 2-0. It’s tough and it’s frustrating, but we’ve got to keep coming. We’re not going to lay down.”

When it comes to assessing the first two games of the series, Mavericks coach Rick Carlisle was blunt about what hasn’t gone right. “We just haven’t made enough plays,” coach Carlisle said. “It’s tough, no question about it. We’ve had opportunities and we haven’t cashed in.

“As my good friend (Rangers’ manager) Ron Washington would say, ‘that’s how baseball go.’ Hey, they held serve. We got to go home and hold serve. We come away disappointed, but not dismayed.”

Dirk Nowitzki had two critical misses in the fourth quarter, but it’s nearly impossible to put the blame on his shoulders. Nowitzki had a spectacular performance, scoring 31 points on 10-of-19 shooting, highlighted by a 14-point second quarter. The two misses might be the thing that linger most. With 1:13 left in the game and a one-point lead, 97-96, Nowitzki had a wide open look at a 25-foot jumper. Ultimately, the shot would not hit the bottom of the net. The other shot saw him go for a patented fadeaway jumper. Like Kevin Durant’s game-winning shot in the opening game of the series, Nowitzki’s shot would hit various parts of the rim. Unlike Durant’s shot, the ball would rattle outside.

“That 3-ball I had in the corner, that’s game time if we go up four,” Nowitzki said. “The game’s over. I had a good look. The other one, the fadeaway, I’ve made it a hundred times. It bounced, hit every part of the rim and bounced off.

“That’s kind of the way our season’s been going. They get their bounce last game. We don’t get it. It’s frustrating, but we’re going to keep coming and compete the same way.”

The Mavericks are 1-7 when they lose the first two games of a best-of-seven series. Dallas has climbed out of an 0-2 hole twice in franchise history. They defeated Houston in seven games in 2005, after dropping the first two games of the opening-round series at home. They also came back from an 0-2 deficit to beat Utah in five games in 2001.

Even with that daunting challenge ahead of them, Nowitzki believes his team will fight. “If they beat us, we’re going to make them earn it…We’re not going to give it to them. They’ve got to take it,” Nowitzki said. Dirk had a simple answer for what the team has to do to bounce back after suffering another tough loss that came down to the wire. “You’ve just got to keep competing,” Nowitzki concluded. “We’re not going to lay down.” In addition to not laying down, the Mavericks have another thing on their to-do list – protect their home floor.

Last edited by BGMaverick9; 05-01-2012 at 11:24 AM.
BGMaverick9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 01:11 PM   #154
j0Shi
Diamond Member

j0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond repute

Bullets

Game:
  • Mavs lose to Thunder 107.66 to 110.93 PP100, both teams combine for 38.61 FTA P100 and 29.36 Fouls P100, the most in any playoff game so far
  • The last time both teams attempted at least 30 free throws while shooting at least 87% was Jan 21st 2009: OKC @ GSW
  • 110.93 Defensive Efficiency is the most this season against the Thunder
  • Mavs ball-movement still on the decline, set a series-low 39.39% AST% and 0.93 AST/TOV-ratio again
  • Despite shooting a barrage of FTs, Thunder only score 59.81 PP100 in the paint and off free throws, a new low against the Mavs this season
  • They fittingly took their average 2FG from 10.69 feet, the most for the series
  • Dallas meanwhile did a nice job keeping OKC off the offensive glass, set a new high for DRB% in the series at 82.14%
  • In the first half Dallas gave up 124.58 PP100 including 30.60 in transition, in the second half 97.48 & 21.66
  • In 2H Mavs also scored 84.48 of their 106.14 PP100 in the paint or at the line, the most for them in 2H against the Thunder this season
  • OKC attempted only 21 FG in the paint opposed to the Mavs 38, but shot a decent % on long 2FGs (16-for-29 from 10+ feet)
  • Thunder outscored the Mavs in the Clutch again (10-8). Five out of six games this season saw Clutch minutes, the Thunder have won every one
  • OKC outscored the Mavs by a total of 61-49 in the Clutch this season, last night Dallas allowed only 98.06 PP100 though, the fewest for Clutch time against the Thunder for a single game
Lineups:
  • The starting unit was outscored in both playoff games. Yesterday by 15.27 PP100 on 145.08 Def. Played only 6.95 min as Rick Carlisle chose Mahinmi over Haywood in the second half
  • That unit outscored the Thunder by 95.88 PP100 starting the second half on 162.99 OffEff
  • Pure bench units were even more putrid: -43.98 on 59.68 Off. They consequently played only 15.97 minutes
  • Only backcourt that worked came with Kidd at the helm: Kiddois (+62.99), Kidd/West (+34.36). After holding their ground in GM1, Terry/West continued their struggles against OKC (-68.39)
  • For the season, the Thunder now have outscored the Terry/West backcourt by 22.86 PP100 (94-74)
  • C-Watch: Mahinmi shined again, Mavs outscore Thunder by 20.36 with him (90.16 Def), +5.81 PP100 in the Paint and at the line & 50.00% TRB
  • C-Watch: Mavs also did better than expected with Dirk at the 5: +11.06 and scored 95.88 of 129.06 in the Paint. Also: 54.55% TRB
  • Unadj. +/- to Kidd (+87.37). Effs with him: 122.65 Off & 103.67 Def. Not loved: Wright, Terry, Carter, West, Wood
Players:
  • Dirk leads PER (26.7), Mahinmi WS48 (0.479) & WP48 (0.351). Also solid/good games from Kidd, West, Marion. Terry, Carter & Haywood contributed to the loss
  • Marion posts best TS% outside C-position (69.7%). Ian best rebounder (17.9%), Kidd takes AST% (26.9%) as usual
  • Dirk took seven shots at the rim (four makes), again avoided long range J's, took only one from 16+ feet (two threes)
  • West also played more aggressive than in GM1, attempted six at the rim (three makes)
  • Counterpart adjusted advanced metrics:
    Code:
    PlayerName		oAdjPER	oAdjWS48	oAdjWP48	oDiffPER	oDiffWS48	oDiffWP48
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Ian Mahinmi		44.27	0.821	0.930	19.72	0.342	0.579
    Shawn Marion		20.36	0.348	0.302	4.35		0.178	0.145
    Dirk Nowitzki		37.07		0.485	0.288	10.42	0.243	0.224
    Jason Kidd			15.21	0.195	0.079	1.21		0.122	-0.024
    Delonte West		14.10	0.027	0.009	-6.00		-0.055	-0.130
    Vince Carter		3.12		-0.186	-0.071	-1.45		-0.088	0.024
    Jason Terry		-9.57		-0.441	-0.524	-14.78	-0.360	-0.279
    Brendan Haywood	-34.82	-0.831	-1.270	-37.90	-0.527	-0.888
  • Ian, Marion and Dirk get nice upgrades adjusting for defense, the backcourt struggles and unsurprisingly JET takes the most blame.
  • Also worth noting that West, who is considered a reliable defender, slips into no man's land despite a good offensive outing
  • Haywood ?!?
More:

Last edited by j0Shi; 05-01-2012 at 01:16 PM.
j0Shi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 01:16 PM   #155
dude1394
Guru

Quote:
Hell, I don't know what the guy wants or doesn't want. I was just saying he's an exceptional defender.
If he wants to be, right. He's ALWAYS an exceptional defender and he certainly has wanted to be everytime you've watched him.
Old 05-01-2012, 01:21 PM   #156
redzwestisbest

redzwestisbest is just really niceredzwestisbest is just really niceredzwestisbest is just really niceredzwestisbest is just really niceredzwestisbest is just really niceredzwestisbest is just really nice

Although, I hate the fact that Westbrook is schooling our guards with midranger, I think RC is employing the correct strategy of making him a jump shooter. The times when we weren't giving him a jumpshot, he EASILY went around whomever was guarding him and got to the cup for a score or was fouled. Our help defense past the initial defender against Westbrook isn't good enough (hasn't shown the ability to be good enough yet) to take away his jumper. I think this is why RC is playing the drive more with Westbrook especially after seeing westbrook get to the hole on a PNR with Delonte going over the pick a few times.

Also, I observe that Harden is a pretty tough guy to defend when he drives to the basket. He is a load, kind of like a young Ron Artest. I think is the area where we miss Tyson Chandler because he was able to defend a physical player like Harden when he drives to the cup. Haywood et all, usually needs to just foul or hope Harden misses.

I'm open to putting Roddy in the game more. I think we will see him more against Westbrook. I wouldn't mind testing a Delonte/Roddy backcourt some since Delonte is usually one of our better close out defenders on the perimeter. I don't know. Delonte was getting pulled basically everytime he messed up. I think RC doesn't have alot of confidence in West after he makes a mistake to rebound from that mistake. Same with Roddy.
redzwestisbest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 01:24 PM   #157
dude1394
Guru

This is how he has to play westbrook. Our guards can't get up on him because there is no one in the back. Our centers are too inept to play the pnr to allow the defender to get back on him.

But we do have "johnny-capspace".
Old 05-01-2012, 01:30 PM   #158
j0Shi
Diamond Member

j0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond repute

We absolutely have to figure out ways to get more out of our backup backcourt. Thunder made their big run without Westbrook and Durant on the floor against Terry/West. That can't happen.

Last edited by j0Shi; 05-01-2012 at 01:30 PM.
Old 05-01-2012, 01:35 PM   #159
dude1394
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by j0Shi View Post
We absolutely have to figure out ways to get more out of our backup backcourt. Thunder made their big run without Westbrook and Durant on the floor against Terry/West. That can't happen.
I guess but tbh it has been our end of game execution that has lost both of them.
Old 05-01-2012, 01:39 PM   #160
j0Shi
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dude1394 View Post
I guess but tbh it has been our end of game execution that has lost both of them.
Yeah. Would still be more comfortable if the Mavs wouldn't have to dig out of a 16-point hole throughout caused by Derek freaking Fisher...

Think the role players will rebound at home. Maybe then it won't be necessary to take the coin flip at the end of games.

Last edited by j0Shi; 05-01-2012 at 01:39 PM.

Tags
mensesfan1000, need 4dn1, need aids too, underpants, underyourmom