Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 11-19-2008, 01:08 PM   #121
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

DevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonghornDub View Post
That goes equally both ways, though. You won't often get to the rim with much success if you can't hit wide open shots.

Anybody watch the Spurs much last year? This was exactly their problem. They have 2 guys who are incredibly good at driving to the hole, and the best low post threat in the game. Yet, they lost games (and ultimately lost in the playoffs) because they had a ton of guys who chucked up nothing but bricks.
Ok so for the Spurs, they needed more shooters. I figure that if you have a low-post threat, shooters, and slashers then you'll probably get a very, very good team.

So what the Mavs have (had since they have been slashing the last few games) is just one of those. If the players stopped being lazy and actually drive to the rim, then they could A. Draw the foul or B. Dish to an open shooter. What the Mavs were doing before the Knicks, Charlotte games were taking contested jump shots without proper ball movement and without attacking the rim. Since the team doesn't have a low-post threat, slashing and shooting at a high level would at least give them 2 of the 3 required attributes to win.

Teams and players just need to mix it up. Don't just take all jumpers and don't just slash and don't just go to the low-post. Using a combo of those three will be deadly though.

DevinHarriswillstart is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-19-2008, 01:25 PM   #122
SMC0007
Guru

SMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevinHarriswillstart View Post
Ok so for the Spurs, they needed more shooters. I figure that if you have a low-post threat, shooters, and slashers then you'll probably get a very, very good team.

So what the Mavs have (had since they have been slashing the last few games) is just one of those. If the players stopped being lazy and actually drive to the rim, then they could A. Draw the foul or B. Dish to an open shooter. What the Mavs were doing before the Knicks, Charlotte games were taking contested jump shots without proper ball movement and without attacking the rim. Since the team doesn't have a low-post threat, slashing and shooting at a high level would at least give them 2 of the 3 required attributes to win.

Teams and players just need to mix it up. Don't just take all jumpers and don't just slash and don't just go to the low-post. Using a combo of those three will be deadly though.

I think that the Mavs were more forced to take contested J's because of better defense on them, keeping in mind Charlotte and Knicks were pretty poor Defesive teams. Tonight will be more of a measure IMO.
SMC0007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2008, 01:28 PM   #123
SMC0007
Guru

SMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianMavsFan View Post
Jerry Stackhouse for Jason Kapono works in the trade machine. Kapono is probably the most accurate 3 point shooter in the league, but unfortunately that moron Sam Mitchell doesn't know how to use him properly. I live in Toronto, and the Raptors could use a veteran like Stack, at the very least he gives an extremely soft team more of an edge. Since Stackhouse was doing very close to nothing for us shooting wise anyway, Kapono will be able to hit those open threes.
Man that would be nice. Seems like a do able trade, nice thinking. Gives us some more fier power off the bench, with quality shooting %!
SMC0007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2008, 02:08 PM   #124
destroy ALL

destroy ALL is just really nicedestroy ALL is just really nicedestroy ALL is just really nicedestroy ALL is just really nicedestroy ALL is just really nicedestroy ALL is just really nice

why do so many people here want another shooter? Kapono and Miller?! give me a break! Am I one of the rare cases who thinks the Mavs need some athletic slashers that take it to the rack with fearlessness!
destroy ALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2008, 02:51 PM   #125
Dallas2009CHAMPS

Dallas2009CHAMPS will become famous soon enough

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZFxlz7yfAoc

oh stack
Dallas2009CHAMPS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2008, 02:57 PM   #126
LSMF
Diamond Member

LSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallas2009CHAMPS View Post
That was one of the happiest nights of my life! I still remember feeling bitter because i thought we were surely going to lose that game, and then Stack came through. Good times
LSMF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2008, 03:04 PM   #127
Dallas2009CHAMPS

haha the last comment by the commentator made me laugh
Old 11-19-2008, 03:05 PM   #128
Dallas2009CHAMPS

couple that with stack and avery hugging
Old 11-19-2008, 03:07 PM   #129
LSMF
Diamond Member

LSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
haha the last comment by the commentator made me laugh
He sounded like he already knew the game was over at the start of that last play lol
LSMF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2008, 03:51 PM   #130
fluid.forty.one

fluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
couple that with stack and avery hugging
I bet that wasn't the first time...
fluid.forty.one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2008, 03:57 PM   #131
ghazi
Platinum Member

ghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by destroy ALL View Post
why do so many people here want another shooter? Kapono and Miller?! give me a break! Am I one of the rare cases who thinks the Mavs need some athletic slashers that take it to the rack with fearlessness!

How about a slasher AND a shooter, all in one!
ghazi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2008, 03:59 PM   #132
LonghornDub

LonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by destroy ALL View Post
Because the Mavs currently have about 3 players that can hit an open jump shot consistently. 60-70% of points in the NBA come off of jump shots.

"Your'e a low-mentality drama gay queen!!" -- She_Growls
LonghornDub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2008, 04:41 PM   #133
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

DevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Because the Mavs currently have about 3 players that can hit an open jump shot consistently. 60-70% of points in the NBA come off of jump shots.
Ok and how many slashers do the Mavs have? Josh Howard? ...and everyone else whenever they feel like it.

Old 11-19-2008, 04:45 PM   #134
dalmations202
Diamond Member

dalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Ok and how many slashers do the Mavs have? Josh Howard? ...and everyone else whenever they feel like it.
GGreen is a better slasher than JHo, so is JJB, IMO.

"A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have". Gerald Ford

"Life's tough, it's even tougher if you're stupid." -John Wayne

There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty:
soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order.
-Capt. Bob "Wolf" Johnson
dalmations202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2008, 04:48 PM   #135
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalmations202 View Post
GGreen is a better slasher than JHo, so is JJB, IMO.
Well even if that were true, those two guys don't play enough minutes for that to have a huge effect.

Old 11-19-2008, 05:13 PM   #136
Dirkadirkastan
Diamond Member

Dirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I know YouTube comments are bad in general, but my goodness.
Dirkadirkastan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2008, 05:46 PM   #137
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

I disagree...Jho is a very good slasher with pretty good body control to get his shot off in traffic. Gerald is more explosive but I haven't seen the type of ability to modify his shot in traffic.

JJB...come on.
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
dude1394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2008, 05:58 PM   #138
Flip41

Flip41 is a jewel in the roughFlip41 is a jewel in the roughFlip41 is a jewel in the roughFlip41 is a jewel in the roughFlip41 is a jewel in the rough

Could the Mavs's problem be a case of the bad apples? They have played well with Stack and George totally out of the equation. Maybe Stacks big mouth and imposing presence has been dragging the team down in recent weeks.
Flip41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2008, 07:12 PM   #139
LonghornDub

LonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
One or two should be enough. Again, the vast majority of points in the NBA come off of jump shots, not "slashing."

Name a team with more than a 2-3 capable slashers. Go ahead.

Old 11-19-2008, 07:38 PM   #140
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

Quote:
One or two should be enough. Again, the vast majority of points in the NBA come off of jump shots, not "slashing."

Name a team with more than a 2-3 capable slashers. Go ahead.
You miss the point. Dude already clarified it. Slashing can create open shots, like the Spurs example. It's not that I'm against jump shots, just contested jumpers when there is no player movement.

So keep having pissing wars with me, I know you get off on it.

Old 11-19-2008, 07:49 PM   #141
LonghornDub

Quote:
You miss the point. Dude already clarified it. Slashing can create open shots, like the Spurs example. It's not that I'm against jump shots, just contested jumpers when there is no player movement.

So keep having pissing wars with me, I know you get off on it.
The fact that you often see the Mavs resorting to those sorts of shots reflects a coaching/scheme issue, not a player issue. This discussion is about personnel. The Mavs' personnel weaknesses, in order, are 1) lack of a low post threat, 2) lack of consistent outside shooters, and 3) lack of slashing. You could mark an argument to switch 2 and 3 if the majority of scoring in the NBA wasn't on shots outside the paint, but that's just not the state of affairs. The Mavs only have a handful of guys capable of making the types of shots that will necessarily account for the majority of the team's points. That's a problem.

Now, that's not to say that #3 isn't an issue, but if we hypothetically could only get one guy, we need to look for someone who can shoot well before we need to look for someone who can slash well. Ideally, we'd get someone who could do both, but I want no part of some SG who can throw his body at the rim well but shoots 40% from the field and 28% from 3. Give me a Brent Barry over that guy any day of the week.

Now, that's all just my opinion, but I really don't think I should need to preface everything I say with "This is my opinion . . . ." That should probably be implicit.

FWIW, a disagreement does not equate to a "pissing war." Man up and learn how to have a discussion with someone who sees things differently then you without getting your feelings hurt. I don't think I've said one thing to you during this discussion that could be considered anything short of civil (well, until now).

Last edited by LonghornDub; 11-19-2008 at 07:56 PM.
Old 11-20-2008, 02:51 AM   #142
mac222b
Diamond Member

mac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond repute

Mike Miller, because he's such a good shooter, can "slash" a little better than he's given credit for. He's 6'8 and can elevate for driving jumpers in the lane. I think we missed our opportunity to get him with KVH's expiring. Unless Minny REALLY wants to dump Cardinal and would include Miller in a straight salary dump; and it could save them like 12 million+ i suppose. But what do we have that they would want? I know I'm like a broken record with this, i apologize, but not buying picks was a HUGE mistake this summer. On principle? They wanted too much $? So we have had no youth or picks to deal crippling our trade efforts-but we'll over pay for Starbury or some other bloated bought out vet in a few weeks. Darrell Arthur, Javelle McGee, Chalmers,Dontae Green or even Koufas along w/Stack and another contract gets you in the Miller Race. In fact it's a done deal. Or you keep the rookie for the 2mil. he cost and reasonable rookie contract. I guess my point is we have almost zero flexibilty. If Donnie can pull of a trade for ANYONE decent it will be a minor miracle. We have Stack, Bass and maybe George?? Any trade involving Howard or a core player is to me a step back. Knicks are playing well so Damp, Stack,etc. for Randolph salary dump is no go. Damp and Stack for injured Redd?
mac222b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2008, 03:58 AM   #143
alby
Guru

alby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond repute

This FO has worked minor miracles before. It's about time that we see another one=]

Contact Me
Twitter: www.twitter.com/alnguyen84
Facebook: www.facebook.com/alnguyen84
alby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2008, 09:35 AM   #144
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

Found this little nugget in Fish's game recap. This is NOT classy, imo:

Quote:
They’re trying to move on from Jerry Stackhouse (oddly deciding to stay in North Carolina during the Houston trip)

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com
jthig32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2008, 09:53 AM   #145
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by jthig32 View Post
Found this little nugget in Fish's game recap. This is NOT classy, imo:
I see no problem with it..He's not going to play...that's been made clear...why have him sit on the bench...do you think it helps everyone to be reminded of it or whatever?
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
Old 11-20-2008, 09:56 AM   #146
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

He's a part of the team, he should be with the team unless something came up.

And HE'S the one that decided to stay in street clothes, according to the report I read. He has removed himself from the roster. Thew New York game was supposed to be a one game thing (for now).

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com

Last edited by jthig32; 11-20-2008 at 09:57 AM.
Old 11-20-2008, 10:04 AM   #147
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by dude1394 View Post
I see no problem with it..He's not going to play...that's been made clear...why have him sit on the bench...do you think it helps everyone to be reminded of it or whatever?
He's a paid member of the team..
No, I don't have a problem with him not being there.. but it's not a classy move by him at all... it's a selfish move.
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2008, 10:04 AM   #148
dude1394
Guru

Quote:
He's a part of the team, he should be with the team unless something came up.

And HE'S the one that decided to stay in street clothes, according to the report I read. He has removed himself from the roster. Thew New York game was supposed to be a one game thing (for now).
I for one don't think that's correct. He could play if Carlisle asked him too. What he doesn't want (and I can't blame him to be honest) is to get DNP's unexpectedly when he thinks he's ready to go. It seems like he and Carlisle have worked out a win-win for both of them. He doesnt' have to be asked when he's going to play every game, carlisle doesn't have to be asked the same thing.

With respect to the staying at home...that just sounds like a..."you're not going to play stack in houston". Well how about I hang at home and meet you back in dallas thing.

Again I don't see anything wrong with it...seems sensible to me. He knows it and the whole team knows he's probably gone...what's the point of belaboring it.

If he were to be bought out..the situation would be about the same imo. But since cubes won't...I don't see much of a reason to be there either.
Old 11-20-2008, 10:06 AM   #149
dude1394
Guru

If carlisle/cubes wanted him on the bench..then they should damn well say it and he'd be on the bench.

Sounds like trying to find a nit to pick imo.
Old 11-20-2008, 10:06 AM   #150
alby
Guru

alby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond repute

When are professional athletes not selfish? I mean, Dirk is one of a kind.

Contact Me
Old 11-20-2008, 10:16 AM   #151
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by dude1394 View Post
I for one don't think that's correct. He could play if Carlisle asked him too. What he doesn't want (and I can't blame him to be honest) is to get DNP's unexpectedly when he thinks he's ready to go. It seems like he and Carlisle have worked out a win-win for both of them. He doesnt' have to be asked when he's going to play every game, carlisle doesn't have to be asked the same thing.

With respect to the staying at home...that just sounds like a..."you're not going to play stack in houston". Well how about I hang at home and meet you back in dallas thing.

Again I don't see anything wrong with it...seems sensible to me. He knows it and the whole team knows he's probably gone...what's the point of belaboring it.

If he were to be bought out..the situation would be about the same imo. But since cubes won't...I don't see much of a reason to be there either.
One of the papers specifically said that Stack removed himself fromt he roster. The DNP against New York was not the beginning of a trend at that time. Carlisle himself said it was a matchup thing. If Stack hadn't removed himself from the roster I have no doubt that he would have been in uniform and playing Tuesday.

Since when do role players get to be unhappy about not having their roles clearly defined? Would it be ok for Singleton or Shawne Williams to complain about the same thing? Of course not. Let's not act like Stack is a fading franchise player for this team or a hall of famer. This is not Reggie Miller with the Pacers. Stack was a somewhat ok role player for this team for a few seasons. The idea that it's reasonable for him to be upset about his role not being defined is ludicrous.

And again, the classy thing to do is to stay with the team, mentor the young players, and chear the team on. You are someone who cares very much about the body language of the guys on the bench during a game, and this is something along the same lines.

I'm sure it's not an uncommon thing to not be with the team, but it's certainly not the classy way to go about this process.

Unless, of course, there was some actual reason that we're not aware of. That's always a possibility.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game

Last edited by jthig32; 11-20-2008 at 10:19 AM.
Old 11-20-2008, 10:19 AM   #152
basketballgirl25
Banned

basketballgirl25 is infamous around these partsbasketballgirl25 is infamous around these partsbasketballgirl25 is infamous around these partsbasketballgirl25 is infamous around these partsbasketballgirl25 is infamous around these partsbasketballgirl25 is infamous around these partsbasketballgirl25 is infamous around these parts

well if stack did remove himself from the roster, it could make it harder to trade him then it already was for the mavs, so that's not a smart move.
basketballgirl25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2008, 10:23 AM   #153
alby
Guru

Stackhouse is just acting as if he's better than he really is. It's nothing new and not surprising whatsoever.

Contact Me
Old 11-20-2008, 10:34 AM   #154
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

So, minus Stack, don't we have a 13-man roster?

Did we ever fill that last slot?

These days being a fan is a competition to see who can be the most upset when
your team loses. That proves you love winning more. That's how it works.
Underdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2008, 10:34 AM   #155
dude1394
Guru

Quote:
One of the papers specifically said that Stack removed himself fromt he roster. The DNP against New York was not the beginning of a trend at that time. Carlisle himself said it was a matchup thing. If Stack hadn't removed himself from the roster I have no doubt that he would have been in uniform and playing Tuesday.
My take on that was that it was a way for carlisle to not discuss whether stack will ever be in uniform again or not. Sure it's a game day decision...as it will be for the rest of the year. Carlisle said he was also having foot issues which stack disputed.

IMO...it's a polite way to get to where you both are going anyway. I see no reason for carlisle to say that stack won't play because he's too old...and if carlisle DOES think somethings wrong with stacks foot..then stack agreeing to it also seems okay.

I saw him on the sideline against charlotte rooting on the team....He stayed in N.Carolina...bfd imo.

They are trying to handle this situation as politely and delicately as they can out of mutual respect. At least that's what I'm seeing.

Last edited by dude1394; 11-20-2008 at 10:35 AM.
Old 11-20-2008, 10:39 AM   #156
FreshJive
Diamond Member

FreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond repute

They said on the Rocket's broadcast that Stack stayed behind because a relative (I think they said mother) was sick.
FreshJive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2008, 10:48 AM   #157
dalmations202
Diamond Member

dalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond repute

I am not sure why fans are so upset with the Stackhouse situation.

Stack has planar facitis (sp?) -- he is taking off to rest his feet. Would he take off, if he were starting --nope.

Carlisle's offense is a true movement and cutting offense. Stacks strength (at least in his younger days) was the ISO with him using his athleticism to slash, and spot up (although inconsistent). Stack's legs don't have the lift, and he isn't at the age of the cutting and running needed for Carlisle's offense.

He could be a better player with his skillset -- as a sixth man in an offense that has more isolation for him. He can still drive and kick pretty well - but without the athleticism he isn't finishing as well. He has always been inconsistent with the jumper - but is much better as a spot up shooter, than coming off screens.

I don't see the problem. Stack wants to still be a player -- not a bench coach. His skills have diminished for sure, but he apparently and I still think he can play in the league. Carlisles offense though is not good for Stacks game -- and Stacks game is not good in Carlisle's system. That doesn't make him a bad player or bad person, just not a fit.

With that said, I hope while he is staying home, he is talking with Larry Brown. Stack + for Wallace + would be a good situation for Dallas -- and maybe for Stack as well. Even a Stack for Morrison/Carrol and Felton would make some sense for both sides. Stack/Bass for Wallace makes the most sense to me though from a Dallas perspective.

"A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have". Gerald Ford

"Life's tough, it's even tougher if you're stupid." -John Wayne

There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty:
soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order.
-Capt. Bob "Wolf" Johnson
dalmations202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2008, 10:53 AM   #158
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Flacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Stack has planar facitis (sp?) -- he is taking off to rest his feet
I think some people have some doubt as to whether or not that is truly the case...

I am one of them.
Old 11-20-2008, 10:56 AM   #159
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

As I've already said, I don't really have a problem with Stack wanting to play here or elsewhere. I think he's delusional if he thinks some team is going to trade for him to be a big part of their rotation, but whatever.

What I don't like is people calling him classy. The classy thing to do is to suck it up, accept his position as a role player, mentor the young guys and be ready to play when called upon. That's what classy players that are dedicated to a team do. It's very rare to find a player like that. I don't really have an issue with Stack not being that guy. I just don't like him being labled that guy when he's not.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
Old 11-20-2008, 10:56 AM   #160
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flacolaco View Post
I think some people have some doubt as to whether or not that is truly the case...

I am one of them.
Well...I mean that's not the case. It's obviously not the case.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game