Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 08-21-2020, 10:47 AM   #121
Scoobay
Golden Member

Scoobay has a brilliant futureScoobay has a brilliant futureScoobay has a brilliant futureScoobay has a brilliant futureScoobay has a brilliant futureScoobay has a brilliant futureScoobay has a brilliant futureScoobay has a brilliant futureScoobay has a brilliant futureScoobay has a brilliant futureScoobay has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMC0007 View Post
Exactly. Right out the window.
this then brings up the question about how to capitalize best...

don't we all still look back and wonder about some of the lost years of Dirk's prime fiddling around with the roster both before and after the title. the Antoine/Antawn years - the mayo/rondo years - what's the best way to move forward with the draft and with FA so as to not waste precious time with our top guys?

i'm torn between trading for/drafting better defensive wings vs. going for the players with the most potential to grow together with Luka/KP.
Scoobay is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-23-2020, 07:33 PM   #122
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoobay View Post

don't we all still look back and wonder about some of the lost years of Dirk's prime fiddling around with the roster both before and after the title. the Antoine/Antawn years - the mayo/rondo years - what's the best way to move forward with the draft and with FA so as to not waste precious time with our top guys?

i'm torn between trading for/drafting better defensive wings vs. going for the players with the most potential to grow together with Luka/KP.
Dirk might have been the best player on the planet the last half of the season before they brought in Antoine and Antawn. It was a colossal waste of a season. And then the Rondo trade... awful
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2020, 08:35 PM   #123
SMC0007
Guru

SMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond repute
Wink

Quote:

We need a 2 way wing and it needs to be a clear upgrade from DFS. I thought Morris was it, I'd have to look closer at what may be available via FA/trades.

I used to think we needed a secondary ball handler but Burke is sitting in our lap. That part is huge.

I think we need to upgrade DP role...whether it's the 4 or 5, we need more of a weapon from a big.

you just proofed how stupid you are - CRAZYBOY
SMC0007 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2020, 08:51 AM   #124
Scoobay
Golden Member

Scoobay has a brilliant futureScoobay has a brilliant futureScoobay has a brilliant futureScoobay has a brilliant futureScoobay has a brilliant futureScoobay has a brilliant futureScoobay has a brilliant futureScoobay has a brilliant futureScoobay has a brilliant futureScoobay has a brilliant futureScoobay has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMC0007 View Post
We need a 2 way wing and it needs to be a clear upgrade from DFS. I thought Morris was it, I'd have to look closer at what may be available via FA/trades.

I used to think we needed a secondary ball handler but Burke is sitting in our lap. That part is huge.

I think we need to upgrade DP role...whether it's the 4 or 5, we need more of a weapon from a big.
I don't remember Burke that much from his first go around... is it me or did he pack on a bit more muscle/strength? He seems to be more solidly built and able to withstand getting bumped and still get where he wants to go and finish.

Burke stepping up solves a big issue for us - hope he sticks.

As for DP role - yes i'd take someone who's 60% the rim runner if we could upgrade that spot for defense. Someone like Maxi actually who could guard big wings all the way up to being a small ball center. Someone mentioned Paul Reed in the draft thread and he's certainly intriguing at least.

As for 3-D wings - fewer and fewer double teams these days so having the ability to switch is key. THJ is frustrating at times i'll admit - there's probably 4-5 times/game he gets the ball and you just know he's gonna jack it up. that being said, having the ability and the desire to take those big shots helps at times. I've always felt that about JJB - that him being the man for past teams helped him in those instances where we did need someone to take over.
Scoobay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2020, 09:46 AM   #125
Dtownsfinest
Diamond Member

Dtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant future

Quote:

I'd prefer them drafting young guys and hope we get lucky. Kawhi Leonard was a mid round pick. Jimmy Butler was a 2nd rounder.....its incredibly lucky to find these caliber of players in the draft but you can't do it if you don't have the picks to do it and for the most part the Mavs have drafted well when they don't get cute. Hell I'll take a Jae Crowder type guy.
Dtownsfinest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2020, 09:48 AM   #126
Dtownsfinest
Diamond Member

Dtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant future

Quote:
I don't remember Burke that much from his first go around... is it me or did he pack on a bit more muscle/strength? He seems to be more solidly built and able to withstand getting bumped and still get where he wants to go and finish.

Burke stepping up solves a big issue for us - hope he sticks.

As for DP role - yes i'd take someone who's 60% the rim runner if we could upgrade that spot for defense. Someone like Maxi actually who could guard big wings all the way up to being a small ball center. Someone mentioned Paul Reed in the draft thread and he's certainly intriguing at least.

As for 3-D wings - fewer and fewer double teams these days so having the ability to switch is key. THJ is frustrating at times i'll admit - there's probably 4-5 times/game he gets the ball and you just know he's gonna jack it up. that being said, having the ability and the desire to take those big shots helps at times. I've always felt that about JJB - that him being the man for past teams helped him in those instances where we did need someone to take over.
I've been following Burke since he was in Philly and New York. He looked like a bust in Utah but when he went to those teams he'd have these huge monster games out of nowhere. Honestly he's a better player than Dennis Smith Jr right now and he was a throw in on that trade for KP. I didn't get why Mavs didn't bring Burke back.
Old 08-24-2020, 09:49 AM   #127
Dtownsfinest
Diamond Member

Quote:

If that Antoine/Antawn team was in the bubble....they may have been the best team in here. They couldn't play defense but boy they could score.
Old 08-24-2020, 10:52 AM   #128
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dtownsfinest View Post
If that Antoine/Antawn team was in the bubble....they may have been the best team in here. They couldn't play defense but boy they could score.
PPG Orating Drating
2000-2001 100.5 107.1 102.6
2001-2002 105.2 112.2 107.7
2002-2003 103.0 110.7 102.3
2003-2004 105.2 112.1 107.4
2004-2005 102.5 110.3 104.1
2005-2006 099.1 111.8 105.0
2006-2007 100.0 111.3 103.2
Old 08-24-2020, 12:14 PM   #129
LukaThaDonPart2
Banned

LukaThaDonPart2 is just really niceLukaThaDonPart2 is just really niceLukaThaDonPart2 is just really niceLukaThaDonPart2 is just really niceLukaThaDonPart2 is just really niceLukaThaDonPart2 is just really nice

When I see this thread, I keep thinking it's about the upcoming Game Five Mavs vs Clippers lol.
LukaThaDonPart2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2020, 04:16 PM   #130
Heezzi

Heezzi is a name known to allHeezzi is a name known to allHeezzi is a name known to allHeezzi is a name known to allHeezzi is a name known to allHeezzi is a name known to allHeezzi is a name known to allHeezzi is a name known to allHeezzi is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by LukaThaDonPart2 View Post
When I see this thread, I keep thinking it's about the upcoming Game Five Mavs vs Clippers lol.
Wait, it's not? *Looks at original post*

Who bumped this shit? This post is 19 years old!!!!
Heezzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2020, 06:42 AM   #131
Murphy3
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heezzi View Post
Wait, it's not? *Looks at original post*

Who bumped this shit? This post is 19 years old!!!!
It was bumped because many of us see parallels between where the Mavs were 19 years ago and where they are now. It was interesting to revisit an important time in the Mavs history.