Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > Around the NBA

Old 12-10-2002, 08:04 PM   #121
MavKikiNYC
Diamond Member

MavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to behold

Anybody think Wang will try to dunk over SB?
MavKikiNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-10-2002, 08:14 PM   #122
Evilmav2
Diamond Member

Evilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond repute

Has Wang ever tried to dunk over anyone but 6-3 Chinese Basketball Association centers?

If he has, I've never seen it...

Oh well, maybe there is hope for WangWang after all. Today in the DMN, he referred to his education as a Clipper... Wang:"I've learned a lot from the Clippers so far, especially in my low-post game. I do wish that the team had a better record though..."

Well, I'm sure that the Clips' record will be much better once they lose Brand and Olowakandi in free agency, and then maybe, Wang will get his great chance to show just how much he has been learning this year...

Once he shakes off his streak of DNP-CD's, he should have just what it takes to take his part in helping to uphold the Clips' shining history of basketball excellence...
Old 12-10-2002, 09:02 PM   #123
madape
Diamond Member

madape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to behold

I don't know EvilMav, even Kandi leaves, Wang would still have four other centers ahead of him in the depth charts.

As for dunking over Bradley, correct me if I'm wrong, but I think one actually has to get off the bench in order to make a dunk attemt. Has Wang actually completed a successful dunk? He's had only 13 FG attempts all year that weren't three pointers. I'm not sure that a man with a negative vertical leap can even dunk to begin with. Nonetheless, I don't think Wang has the balls to take it up against Bradley. But then again, he'd have to get into the game to prove it, and we all know he won't.

BTW - I just realized that in the past six months, Wang's coaches have chosen to pass Wang over in favor of six current and former Mav centers: Bradley, Raef, Esch, Dirk, Rooks, and Cherokee. If we count Kandi, Ely, and Wilcox, that makes nine players in six months who coaches would rather play at center that Wang. I think that's a record.
madape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2002, 11:07 PM   #124
MavKikiNYC
Diamond Member

MavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to behold

Double.
Old 12-10-2002, 11:07 PM   #125
MavKikiNYC
Diamond Member

Wang Zhizhi 19 3-7 1-1 2-3 0 3 3 1 3 0 0 1 9
Raef LaFrentz 21 4-8 1-3 0-0 1 2 3 1 3 1 0 4 9

Plus, for a while, Wang's 48-minute projections had him going at a 48 point per game pace.

He was dominant tonight for the Clips.
Old 12-10-2002, 11:20 PM   #126
Frank_Wang

Frank_Wang is on a distinguished road

Why does most Dallas Mavs fans think Wang is not worth the contract the Clips gave him?

Just see

Dallas Mavericks
Player 2002-2003
Evan Eschmeyer $3,103,000

Yeah,I konw Evan's rebounds skill is better than Wang.But beside it,he is nothing.
Frank_Wang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2002, 12:10 AM   #127
Chiwas
Guru

Chiwas is infamous around these partsChiwas is infamous around these parts

A dollar is too much if you don't play.
Old 12-11-2002, 12:14 AM   #128
Evilmav2
Diamond Member

Evilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond repute

Why does most Dallas Mavs fans think Wang is not worth the contract the Clips gave him?

"It would be good to have him, but we're not going to miss him. We'll find the two or three points from somewhere else."
Mark Cuban

Old 12-11-2002, 12:30 AM   #129
OutletPass
Diamond Member

OutletPass is just really niceOutletPass is just really niceOutletPass is just really niceOutletPass is just really niceOutletPass is just really niceOutletPass is just really nice

Frank...Why didn't Wang want to remain here ? I think that's the real question.
Old 12-11-2002, 01:19 AM   #130
Frank_Wang

Frank_Wang is on a distinguished road

<< Frank...Why didn't Wang want to remain here ? I think that's the real question. >>

I don't konw.
But I don't think the reason is salary.
I like the past times he was a Mavs player.
Frank_Wang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2002, 03:16 AM   #131
i.liek.basketball

i.liek.basketball is on a distinguished road

negative vertical
i.liek.basketball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2002, 08:32 AM   #132
Usually Lurkin
Diamond Member

Usually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond repute

Frank,

I liked wang as a mav, too. I'd like Wang as a clip if he got playing time.
I don't like what happened over the summer, and think that was Wang's fault.
Usually Lurkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2002, 08:58 AM   #133
Big Boy Laroux
Diamond Member

Big Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond repute

i don't think picture is a good indication of wang's vertical leap. after all, he's not jumping, he's pushing himself up off of brand...
Old 12-11-2002, 09:45 AM   #134
Usually Lurkin
Diamond Member

Usually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond repute

<< i don't think picture is a good indication of wang's vertical leap. after all, he's not jumping, he's pushing himself up off of brand... >>

Wang is incredibly strong.
Old 12-11-2002, 11:25 AM   #135
i.liek.basketball

i.liek.basketball is on a distinguished road

Either that, or saying &quot; hang on elt, I got this one..&quot;
i.liek.basketball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2002, 06:39 PM   #136
Evilmav2
Diamond Member

Why did we &quot;lose&quot; Wang?

&quot;It is every athlete's honor and responsibility to represent his country in international games, but Wang made the wrong decision when he was needed. Since Wang has lost his professional and patriotic sprit, CBA decided to deprive him of the membership of national basketball team&quot;
Peoples Daily of Beijing

&quot;Wang would have been our third center. That's a part of it. But it's quite clear he broke his word to us, and that really meant a lot to us.&quot;
Don Nelson

Wang: Before Lies and Dishonor...
Old 12-11-2002, 07:00 PM   #137
MavKikiNYC
Diamond Member

Believe what they tell you to....makes a great Commmunist.
Old 12-11-2002, 07:00 PM   #138
MavKikiNYC
Diamond Member

Believe what they tell you to....makes a great Commmunist.
Old 12-11-2002, 07:32 PM   #139
Evilmav2
Diamond Member

I'll choose to believe what Mark Cuban and Don Nelson have to say about Wang's duplicity. Does that make me a communist?

New Banner of Cuban and Nelson?
Old 12-11-2002, 08:16 PM   #140
MavKikiNYC
Diamond Member

A GULLIBLE Communist.
Old 12-11-2002, 08:40 PM   #141
David
Golden Member

David is on a distinguished road

Wang didn't look as good for the Clippers as he did last year for the Mavs. I think I see why Nelson was JUST using him as a spot up shooter. Wang needs a lot of work and playing time. He wasn't going to get it for the Mavs because the Mavs are title contenders with no time to develop players that far off of being combat ready. I can see why the Clippers are reluctant to play him much. I still like his potential, though.
David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2002, 08:53 PM   #142
MavKikiNYC
Diamond Member

Wrong, David.

He was dominant. DOMINANT. D-O-M-I-N-A-N-T.

In the Bradleyian sense.
Old 12-11-2002, 09:22 PM   #143
Evilmav2
Diamond Member

Shawn Bradley

Two Time NBA Shot-Blocking Champion
All-Time Leading Mavericks' Shot Blocker
Ranks #6 in the NBA in Blocks Per Game(2.62)
Ranks #4 in the NBA in Blocks(55.0)
Ranks #11 in the NBA in Defensive Rebounds Per 48 Minutes(10.1)
Ranks #15 in the NBA in Rebounds Per 48 Minutes(14.4)
Ranks #3 in the NBA in Blocks Per 48 Minutes(4.88)
Ranks #11 in the NBA in Efficiency Ranking Per 48 Minutes(30.17)
8.7 ppg, 7.7 rpg, 2.97 bpg in limited minutes
Mavericks' Record: 18-2

WangWang

3.8 ppg, 1.2 rpg, .78 TO pg
Wang has produced more turnovers (33) than blocks and steals combined (32)
12 DNP-CD's
Clippers' Record: 9-12
Old 12-12-2002, 12:54 AM   #144
madape
Diamond Member

madape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to behold

Kiki - The thing about Wang is that, unlike Bradley, his per 48 minute stats SUCK. Don't you think it's time you put down the pipe and join the rest of the world in realizing that Wang was all hype. David is man enough to admit he may have been wrong about Wang.. are you?
madape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2002, 06:42 AM   #145
David
Golden Member

David is on a distinguished road

<< Kiki - The thing about Wang is that, unlike Bradley, his per 48 minute stats SUCK. Don't you think it's time you put down the pipe and join the rest of the world in realizing that Wang was all hype. David is man enough to admit he may have been wrong about Wang.. are you? >>

I don't know about &quot;wrong about Wang&quot; but he certainly didn't look that good the other night. He is still &quot;potential&quot; and not &quot;actuality&quot;.

I don't see Bradley setting the world on fire either after 10 years in the league. Bradley still makes the same mistakes he always has and can't hang with the big boys such as Robinson/Duncan as evidenced by last night. With Dirk out, Shawn had a chance to shine but didn't. Still only the occasional flashes that make you say, &quot;damn, why doesn't he do that ALL the time&quot;, like that follow up slam he made at one point.
David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2002, 08:57 AM   #146
MavKikiNYC
Diamond Member

I think the key to effectively using 48-minute-projected stats is to project them at the right time in the game. And the other night after having played 6 minutes, The Wang Beast had 6 points, which, as you will note, projects to 48ppg--dominant.

I used to wonder how fans could ignore obvious deficiencies in Mavs players (okay, a couple in particular) and just proclaim them 'dominant', but then I realized that viewing the game was less complicated and more enjoyable that way, so a player like Wang became dominant for me.

Thanks to all those Mavs fans (okay, a couple in particular) who showed the way.

Old 12-12-2002, 11:12 AM   #147
Chiwas
Guru

<< He is still &quot;potential&quot; and not &quot;actuality&quot;. >>

In my humble ([img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]) oppinion, Wang hasn´t the potential dreamed by some of us in his contract's process, including Cuban and Nelson. I see him very slow and soft and these characteristics are hard to improve. Course he has some presence on the court in some moments of the game, but not enough to be considered a good player; and hardly he will improve enough to be an NBA starter. I lessen my favorable oppinion about him when I saw Yao playing; there is potential here.

Hope Wang demostrates the contrary because there are many people who like him and expect a lot from him, mainly in the LA zone.
Old 12-12-2002, 06:16 PM   #148
OutletPass
Diamond Member

OutletPass is just really niceOutletPass is just really niceOutletPass is just really niceOutletPass is just really niceOutletPass is just really niceOutletPass is just really nice

What's the statute of limitations on &quot;potential&quot; anyway ?
Old 12-12-2002, 10:42 PM   #149
MavKikiNYC
Diamond Member

How old is Mantis again....?
Old 12-12-2002, 11:35 PM   #150
Evilmav2
Diamond Member

&quot;A decade ago, Chinese viewers were lucky to see just one NBA game per week, usually from a month-old tape the NBA mailed to Beijing. Now, the average Chinese viewer can watch four games weekly, and many can catch a fifth game on Hong Kong-based satellite channel Star Sports -- or nearly as many games as are now shown nationally each week in the United States.

Ren said more than 30 of the 84 Houston Rockets games will be broadcast in China, as well as several games with the San Antonio Spurs, the team that signed Chinese player Bateer Menk. But he said the Los Angeles Clippers have been banned from the air, because team member Wang Zhizhi -- who became the first Chinese player to join the NBA last season -- refused to return home for the Asian Games last summer.&quot;
The Washington Post

The Dishonor of Wang is already reaping rich dividends for the hapless Clippers...

Old 12-12-2002, 11:42 PM   #151
Chiwas
Guru

<< What's the statute of limitations on &quot;potential&quot; anyway ? >>

I think &quot;potential&quot; is what is left in your body and in your mind that can be used in the future, that will permit you to make your activities and to have tour thoughts in a higher degree compared with the degree developed or showed 'til the present moment.

&quot;Higher degree&quot; would mean &quot;better&quot; (improve) in the frame of reference generally accepted in the environment where the activities and thoughts are achieved or created.

Some Mavs that I think made use of some of their potential to improve from the last season to this season:
-Dirk
-Griffin
-N&aacute;jera
-Bradley (maybe here we have a case when somebody returned to a level previously reached, then there wasn´t a &quot;making use of potential&quot;, but a &quot;returning&quot;. The old timers could tell it.

A main characteristic of &quot;potential&quot; is that it is consumed when it´s used, or vanishes when isn´t used with the time going.

Old 12-13-2002, 07:40 PM   #152
MavKikiNYC
Diamond Member

<< &quot;A decade ago, Chinese viewers were lucky to see just one NBA game per week, usually from a month-old tape the NBA mailed to Beijing. Now, the average Chinese viewer can watch four games weekly, and many can catch a fifth game on Hong Kong-based satellite channel Star Sports -- or nearly as many games as are now shown nationally each week in the United States.

Ren said more than 30 of the 84 Houston Rockets games will be broadcast in China, as well as several games with the San Antonio Spurs, the team that signed Chinese player Bateer Menk. But he said the Los Angeles Clippers have been banned from the air, because team member Wang Zhizhi -- who became the first Chinese player to join the NBA last season -- refused to return home for the Asian Games last summer.&quot;
The Washington Post

The Dishonor of Wang is already reaping rich dividends for the hapless Clippers...
>>

Sounds like extortion to me. Which makes the Mavs complicit.
Old 12-14-2002, 08:37 AM   #153
Usually Lurkin
Diamond Member

<< Sounds like extortion to me. Which makes the Mavs complicit. >>

uh. no. Mavs refused to participate.
Old 12-14-2002, 09:49 AM   #154
MavKikiNYC
Diamond Member

They participated by refusing to sign Wang.
Old 12-14-2002, 10:39 AM   #155
Usually Lurkin
Diamond Member

so?
Are all the other teams who did not sign Wang complicit?
Are all the McDonalds', Burgerkingss, and Taco Bells' that did not hire him complicit?

put another way:
if a contractor kicks me in the balls, and I don't renew his contract, how can I in anyway be associated when his contracting firm kicks his next client in the balls?
Old 12-14-2002, 11:04 AM   #156
MavKikiNYC
Diamond Member

<< so?
Are all the other teams who did not sign Wang complicit?
>>

Yes, if they did not pursue him for fear of retribution.

<< Are all the McDonalds', Burgerkingss, and Taco Bells' that did not hire him complicit? >>

Not complicit, but cowardly if they were considering signing him to an endorsement deal and then pulled out for fear of offending the Communist government of China.

<< put another way:
if a contractor kicks me in the balls, and I don't renew his contract, how can I in anyway be associated when his contracting firm kicks his next client in the balls?
>>

Not sure I follow your analogy, but it would depend on why he kicked you in the balls.

Wang's refusal to go back to China was not a kick in the balls to the Mavericks...that's just so much smoke. That's the sad-sack, wounded-honor ruse that Nellie and Cuban are dealing to keep from looking so mercenary.

Put another way...suppose you're a software contractor for Microsoft. You design a revolutionary product that works best on Macs and will give Apple a significant increse in market share, but has the potential to be developed for other PCs and greatly enhance their functionality.

MS tries to buy your product for far less than its value, so that they can maintain competitive advantage over Apple. You decline the MS offer and go to work for Apple. MS threatens any comptuer manufacturer with retribution if they use or promote your product in any way.

Where does a computer manufacturer stand ethically if they allow themselves to be cowed by Microsoft and refuse to use your product for fear of pissing off MS? Are manufacturers who refuse to use your product complicit in helping MS exercise monopoly power? Cowardly?
Old 12-14-2002, 11:27 AM   #157
Usually Lurkin
Diamond Member

<< Yes, if they did not pursue him for fear of retribution. >>

no evidence that this was their motivation.

<< Where does a computer manufacturer stand ethically if they allow themselves to be cowed by Microsoft and refuse to use your product for fear of pissing off MS? >>

to be more accurate, the developer signed a contract with me (Palm) and microsoft stating that after developing his skills while on loan to my company, he would return to microsoft to finish out his contract there. After breaking the contract he signed with me, he goes to work for apple instead of returning to MS. Why would microsoft then have any responsibility whatsoever to promote products developed by that programmer for apple? And how is Palm complicit in Microsoft's lack of promotion of Apple?
Old 12-14-2002, 11:32 AM   #158
MavKikiNYC
Diamond Member

<<

<< Yes, if they did not pursue him for fear of retribution. >>

no evidence that this was their motivation.
>>

Evidence?

<< [i]Ren said more than 30 of the 84 Houston Rockets games will be broadcast in China, as well as several games with the San Antonio Spurs, the team that signed Chinese player Bateer Menk. [b]But he said the Los Angeles Clippers have been banned from the air, because team member Wang Zhizhi -- who became the first Chinese player to join the NBA last season -- refused to return home for the Asian Games last summer.&quot; The Washington Post/

<< [i]

Old 12-14-2002, 11:37 AM   #159
MavKikiNYC
Diamond Member

<< Why would microsoft then have any responsibility whatsoever to promote products developed by that programmer for apple? And how is Palm complicit in Microsoft's lack of promotion of Apple? >>

MS wouldn't have any responsibility to promote the product. Nor would they have the right to threaten manufacturers with retribution for using the software.

Suppose further, that MS wanted about 75% of the any profit derived from your innovation, just as a condition for allowing you the time to develop it, plus they reserved the right to get you to come back to MS and field tech support questions anytime they said so. If you, Palm, knew the extremely unfair and onerous nature of the contract that MS imposed on the developer in order for him to be able to develop his product; and you, Palm, acquiesced to the contract for your own company's benefit, then passively assited in the retributive supra-contractual anti-competitive actions of MS, ....

then I'd put you about where Cuban and Nellie are.
Old 12-14-2002, 11:39 AM   #160
Usually Lurkin
Diamond Member

I'm sorry if this linear time concept is that far beyond you,

but that happened after Wang went to the Clips.
The mavs decision was mad before wang went to the clips.

should the mavs have dialed up Miss Cleo?