Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Everything Else > Other Sports Talk

Old 03-06-2007, 03:12 PM   #121
alexamenos
Diamond Member

alexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Five-ofan
2, 4, 5, 9. I watched so many last year because of my fantasy teams(i had warner, leinart, james, boldin and fitz on various teams at various times.) He was GREAT last year. You can make an argument that he was a contract year player if you want but he was flat out dominant last year.

As for ware, i didnt take much from that because there really isnt anyone else that rushes like ware that i can think of. Ware is really fast but he mostly tries to use his speed as a momentum boost to just give himself more power to run over people. Obviously that wouldnt work against big. It was nice to see if your a fan of big but its not really anything to hang your hat on.

You guys will be pleasantly suprised with him if he plays lt. Im a bit scared of him as an rt though. I thought he would be an upgrade but the more i think about it, the only times ive really seen him struggle were at rt.
5-0 fan is the shiznit...who else would have the scouting dope on an AZ Cardinals offensive lineman?
Old 03-06-2007, 06:57 PM   #122
mkat
Platinum Member

mkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to behold

davis is not an ambi-tackle.
mkat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2007, 04:44 PM   #123
LonestarROB
Patient # 312412

LonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to all

'Boys have resigned Colombo to 2 year deal.

Website - www.thegamesector.com
Hell bent 100% Texan 'til I die.

Last edited by LonestarROB; 03-09-2007 at 04:44 PM.
LonestarROB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2007, 06:42 PM   #124
jleefilled
Platinum Member

jleefilled has a brilliant futurejleefilled has a brilliant futurejleefilled has a brilliant futurejleefilled has a brilliant futurejleefilled has a brilliant futurejleefilled has a brilliant futurejleefilled has a brilliant futurejleefilled has a brilliant futurejleefilled has a brilliant futurejleefilled has a brilliant futurejleefilled has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonestarROB
'Boys have resigned Colombo to 2 year deal.
great news..
jleefilled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2007, 07:02 PM   #125
jly
Dirk for MVP

jly is a jewel in the roughjly is a jewel in the roughjly is a jewel in the roughjly is a jewel in the rough

glad to hear that. so i suppose that is the end of rivera now?

is it something we did or are they just jealous?
jly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2007, 07:59 PM   #126
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

Male30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond repute

This is definitely the end of Rivera... After June 1st of course - otherwise it is like a 3 million cap hit this year!
Old 03-10-2007, 05:52 PM   #127
Dirkgreatness
Platinum Member

Dirkgreatness is a splendid one to beholdDirkgreatness is a splendid one to beholdDirkgreatness is a splendid one to beholdDirkgreatness is a splendid one to beholdDirkgreatness is a splendid one to beholdDirkgreatness is a splendid one to beholdDirkgreatness is a splendid one to beholdDirkgreatness is a splendid one to beholdDirkgreatness is a splendid one to beholdDirkgreatness is a splendid one to beholdDirkgreatness is a splendid one to behold

Nguyen Excited About Returning To Cowboys

IRVING, Texas - He returns in a much different role than he's familiar with. He doesn't exactly look the same as we remember.

But he's back in the NFL again. He's coaching the sport he loves the most. And that has a smile on his face again.

For Dat Nguyen, that's one thing that hasn't changed about the former Cowboys linebacker.

"I'm just so happy to be back here, with the Cowboys again," said Nguyen, who has shed at least 20 pounds from his listed playing weight of 238 pounds. "It's a new role for me. It's going to be a challenge. But I couldn't be more excited about being back here and I'm ready to get started."

Nguyen, considered an overachiever his entire playing career, now begins his journey into coaching, starting at the bottom of the Cowboys' staff.

After retiring from the game because of knee and neck injuries, Nguyen was completely out of football in 2006. But that hiatus didn't last long. Since he can't play again, Nguyen has positioned himself as close to the action as possible, joining the Cowboys' staff as an assistant linebackers/quality control coach.

So less than two years after being a teammate to more than half the players on the current roster, Nguyen is now Coach Nguyen to them. But he said he expects that to be an easy transition.

"I think it will be easy just because of the respect that we have," Nguyen said of the current players. "I think they respect me and I definitely respect them. I was one guy that had everybody as a friend.

"Being back, I think I can benefit those guys and they can benefit me as well."

One reason Nguyen said he believes he was able to play seven years in the NFL was his ability to evaluate personnel, whether it was his opponents or even his teammates.

So while Nguyen is among the 10 new coaches on the staff, his familiarity with the roster should help ease his transition.

"I understand what their strengths and weaknesses are," he said. "In a way, I think I'll be able to contribute. Maybe not in a big way, but I'll be able to contribute. That's all I really want to do."

Last year, Nguyen said it nearly killed him not being able to play, much less contribute.

"The beginning of the year wasn't bad because I knew I couldn't do it anymore," Nguyen said. "But I started watching more games and when you watch games, you started missing it. I felt like I could put these guys in better position to make plays. And whatever it is, you feel like you can contribute.

"When I was sitting at home later in the year, I just felt like I could contribute. When Coach (Wade) Phillips got the job, I was fortunate to get an interview and he agreed to give me an opportunity."

While Phillips didn't have any ties to Nguyen, he simply relied on the members of the organization that did.

"You didn't hear anything but great comments about how a super person he is and a greater worker he is; all the things you're looking for," Phillips said. "And a great coach, he has all the attributes going in. And everyone says, everything that Dat does, he's going to do well. I feel real positive about that."

Nguyen will work closely with veteran coach Paul Pasqualoni, the team's overall linebackers coach, along with handling the quality control duties for the defense.

"It's going to be different," Nguyen said of his new role. "It's like anything you do. It's going to be different until you get adjusted. But once you do, it'll be like second nature. It'll be a challenge, but I'm ready for it."

Being ready for challenges has always been Nguyen's trademark, even dating back to his illustrious career at Texas A&M, where he was an All-American linebacker.

A third-round pick of the Cowboys in 1999, Nguyen battled injuries his first two years before leading the team in tackles in 2001 with 172 stops, the third-highest single-season total in club history.

Nguyen led the Cowboys in tackles in 2001, 2003 and 2004. But when the Cowboys switched to the 3-4 scheme before the 2005 season, Nguyen knew it would take a demanding toll on his body. And just three games into the season, Nguyen suffered a neck injury that eventually sidelined him for three games. He returned as a backup for four more games but was never the same.

He ended 2005 on injured reserve and officially announced his retirement last off-season.

"I knew my best wasn't good enough anymore," Nguyen said. "I worked so hard, just to get the edge. To find that edge, I had to work so much harder than everyone else. And then when I got hurt, I knew I had to work 10 times harder. I just thought it wasn't worth it anymore.

"To do that much, just to have a chance . . . I knew one day it was going to end. Unfortunately, it happened the way it did. I wish I could've played a little longer - everybody does. But you have to walk away from the game eventually."

Nguyen was able to walk away, but he ran at the opportunity to return as a coach.

While the Cowboys will stick with the 3-4 defense, Phillips' version will have some differences from last year's scheme.

"It's actually a lot like what I played at A&M," Nguyen said. "Not taking anything from (Bill) Parcells, but his style used bigger linebackers that were more physical and demanding on a player - on his body. In this defense, you allow the players to go make plays. It's just a little bit different."

There are lots of changes for Nguyen these days. A new job, new role and even a new look. But he's back with the Cowboys and having fun again.

And with that, things aren't so different after all.

http://dallascowboys.com/news.cfm?id...43322A8A91EDDE
Old 03-12-2007, 04:59 PM   #128
Dirkgreatness
Platinum Member

Dirkgreatness is a splendid one to beholdDirkgreatness is a splendid one to beholdDirkgreatness is a splendid one to beholdDirkgreatness is a splendid one to beholdDirkgreatness is a splendid one to beholdDirkgreatness is a splendid one to beholdDirkgreatness is a splendid one to beholdDirkgreatness is a splendid one to beholdDirkgreatness is a splendid one to beholdDirkgreatness is a splendid one to beholdDirkgreatness is a splendid one to behold

The Cowboys aren't exactly shopping Julius Jones, but they've told teams that have inquired about him that he's for sale for the right price. Cowboys owner-GM Jerry Jones apparently is prepared to hitch his wagon to the team's other young running back, Marion Barber.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/200...nfl/index.html
Old 03-23-2007, 05:35 PM   #129
untitled
Golden Member

untitled has much to be proud ofuntitled has much to be proud ofuntitled has much to be proud ofuntitled has much to be proud ofuntitled has much to be proud ofuntitled has much to be proud ofuntitled has much to be proud ofuntitled has much to be proud ofuntitled has much to be proud ofuntitled has much to be proud ofuntitled has much to be proud of

Ken Hamlin signed a 1-year deal with the Boys for $2.5 mil.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2809953
untitled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2007, 05:38 PM   #130
Five-ofan
Guru

Five-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond repute

how much of a bonus did we give johnson? I know its nuts and we wont actually do it(nor would he) but id much prefer david carr. We could always cut johnson and sign carr.
Five-ofan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2007, 05:56 PM   #131
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirkgreatness
The Cowboys aren't exactly shopping Julius Jones, but they've told teams that have inquired about him that he's for sale for the right price. Cowboys owner-GM Jerry Jones apparently is prepared to hitch his wagon to the team's other young running back, Marion Barber.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/200...nfl/index.html
interesting if true.

I'd be for it...if JJ got fetch something nice...

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"
sike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2007, 06:00 PM   #132
Five-ofan
Guru

Five-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by sike
interesting if true.

I'd be for it...if JJ got fetch something nice...
i doubt hed get alot. rbs arent that valuable as trade commodities and better rbs have been traded for very little this offseason
Old 03-23-2007, 06:54 PM   #133
ocelot_ark
Diamond Member

ocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by untitled
Ken Hamlin signed a 1-year deal with the Boys for $2.5 mil.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2809953
Woo Pig. Hamlin will teach Roy Williams how to hit people hard AND get a few interceptions along the way.
Old 03-23-2007, 07:19 PM   #134
dirno2000
Diamond Member

dirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocelot_ark
Woo Pig. Hamlin will teach Roy Williams how to hit people hard AND get a few interceptions along the way.
didn't know that Hamlin was a razorback. That at least partially explains Jerry's interest. Nice signing, especially since it's just a one year deal.

btw, roy had 5 picks last year....only one safety in the league had more.
dirno2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2007, 08:37 PM   #135
Five-ofan
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirno2000
didn't know that Hamlin was a razorback. That at least partially explains Jerry's interest. Nice signing, especially since it's just a one year deal.

btw, roy had 5 picks last year....only one safety in the league had more.
roy has always had a knack for getting picks. he cant cover worth a crap but he has better hands than most dbs.
Old 03-23-2007, 08:50 PM   #136
ocelot_ark
Diamond Member

ocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud of

Yeah, I was kinda kidding, 'cause Hamlin's not much of an interception guy. But he'll f'ing KILL someone coming across the middle.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg HamlinHawk0908.jpg (28.5 KB, 8 views)

Last edited by ocelot_ark; 03-23-2007 at 08:50 PM.
ocelot_ark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2007, 08:59 PM   #137
dirno2000
Diamond Member

dirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond repute

I guess this means that we won't be drafting Nelson or Griffin in the first round.
Old 03-23-2007, 09:24 PM   #138
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I guess this means that we won't be drafting Nelson or Griffin in the first round.
I wouldn't be so sure. Where else are they going to go? I think they now have the luxury to take the best player available--if it's a safety, it's a safety.

And on Roy getting picks...well, let's just say he had a lot of balls go his direction...
chumdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2007, 09:35 PM   #139
dirno2000
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chumdawg
I wouldn't be so sure. Where else are they going to go? I think they now have the luxury to take the best player available--if it's a safety, it's a safety.

And on Roy getting picks...well, let's just say he had a lot of balls go his direction...
You're right. This signing coupled with what we've done on the O-line allows us to take the best player available. There's not one position where we would draft a player and need him to make an immediate impact.

If I was drafting for position I'd go wide out. We're a little long in the tooth and there are some nice prospects that could still be around at 22. We may have out choice of Bowe, Meachum, Rice or Jarrett.
Old 03-23-2007, 10:57 PM   #140
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

Well, your assumption with that statement is that Greg Ellis will be back and be completely healthy playing at the level he played at pre torn achilles....The Cowboys definitely need someone else that can apply pressure on the QB.

Last edited by Murphy3; 03-23-2007 at 10:58 PM.
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2007, 11:06 PM   #141
dirno2000
Diamond Member

Actually I think that anything we get from Ellis this year will be a bonus. An ACL at his age is going to be tough to recover from.

Bobby Carpenter started coming on late in the season and played prett well against Seattle. With another year in the weight room and the more agressive Phillips 3-4 i'm not terrified of playing him opposite Ware.

But yea, a 3-4 team can always use another good LB.
Old 03-23-2007, 11:53 PM   #142
Five-ofan
Guru

Quote:
Actually I think that anything we get from Ellis this year will be a bonus. An ACL at his age is going to be tough to recover from.

Bobby Carpenter started coming on late in the season and played prett well against Seattle. With another year in the weight room and the more agressive Phillips 3-4 i'm not terrified of playing him opposite Ware.

But yea, a 3-4 team can always use another good LB.
if we draft a linebacker in the first round i will not watch a single cowboys game this year.
Old 03-24-2007, 12:24 AM   #143
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah, Carpenter looked like he might be able to play some at the NFL level in a couple of games... I don't think it's wise to put too many eggs in that basket. Tony Dumas looked pretty damn good at times for the Mavs as well.....

It's obvious that the 'boys didn't have enough of a pass rush next year. It needs to be addressed in some capacity or there's going to be a pretty good chance that it'll be a weakness again this year.

I won't be shocked if Carpenter can play a little... but the 'boys do need more of a pass rush regardless of whether or not Carpenter can play.
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2007, 12:50 AM   #144
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Flacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond repute

the 'girls are the biggest non-story ever right now
Old 03-24-2007, 01:13 AM   #145
mkat
Platinum Member

mkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
i don't know. my theory is this...(it sounds a bit crazy)...maybe they're looking at movie roy to LOLB. he brings the rush but he could cover small distances, he can take down guys bigger than he is..he might be a bit small, but he could play LB. I mean, Lawrence Taylor was 6-3 237...Roy is 6-0 229. not a *huge* difference.

this allows you to put hamlin at SS and draft a good FS.

a little crazy, i know.

Last edited by mkat; 03-24-2007 at 01:14 AM.
Old 03-24-2007, 01:49 AM   #146
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murphy3
Yeah, Carpenter looked like he might be able to play some at the NFL level in a couple of games... I don't think it's wise to put too many eggs in that basket. Tony Dumas looked pretty damn good at times for the Mavs as well.....

It's obvious that the 'boys didn't have enough of a pass rush next year. It needs to be addressed in some capacity or there's going to be a pretty good chance that it'll be a weakness again this year.

I won't be shocked if Carpenter can play a little... but the 'boys do need more of a pass rush regardless of whether or not Carpenter can play.
I certainly hope he can play a little! First round draft choice and all.

I expect him to have a long and productive career. Here's hoping he blossoms in Phillips's defense.
Old 03-24-2007, 02:00 AM   #147
Five-ofan
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkat
i don't know. my theory is this...(it sounds a bit crazy)...maybe they're looking at movie roy to LOLB. he brings the rush but he could cover small distances, he can take down guys bigger than he is..he might be a bit small, but he could play LB. I mean, Lawrence Taylor was 6-3 237...Roy is 6-0 229. not a *huge* difference.

this allows you to put hamlin at SS and draft a good FS.

a little crazy, i know.
thats been mentioned for 2 years. he could play lb. the reason im against drafting lbs is that weve poured so much into lb the last couple of years its ridiculous, you have to hope you were right.
Old 03-24-2007, 02:01 AM   #148
chumdawg
Guru

Quote:
thats been mentioned for 2 years. he could play lb. the reason im against drafting lbs is that weve poured so much into lb the last couple of years its ridiculous, you have to hope you were right.
You know what Parcells used to say. Linebackers and tight ends: keep 'em comin'. You can never have too much.
Old 03-24-2007, 02:03 AM   #149
Five-ofan
Guru

Quote:
You know what Parcells used to say. Linebackers and tight ends: keep 'em comin'. You can never have too much.
fine, keep drafting them but we are begining to look like the freakin lions with wrs. dont draft them in the first round.
Old 03-24-2007, 02:23 AM   #150
chumdawg
Guru

Those poor Lions.

What would you like to see in the first round, then? OL, maybe?
Old 03-24-2007, 02:34 AM   #151
Five-ofan
Guru

Quote:
Those poor Lions.

What would you like to see in the first round, then? OL, maybe?
justin blalock.
Old 03-24-2007, 02:54 AM   #152
chumdawg
Guru

Quote:
justin blalock.
Well, I'm pretty sure they will have the chance to, if they so desire.
Old 03-24-2007, 03:00 AM   #153
Five-ofan
Guru

Quote:
Well, I'm pretty sure they will have the chance to, if they so desire.
i doubt they will and honestly i dont blame them. he will most likely grade out a few picks lower than the cowboys draft but a guy who could play pretty any line position but center and who has the combo of talent and intelligence that he has would be extremely valuable. i actually think hes alot safer pick than levi jones who will be a top 10 pick. then again the nfl has a tendency to do some really stupid things when evaluating lineman like dbrickashaw ferguson being the consensus number 1 line prospect when he wasnt close to the college player mcneil was(who happened to again be much better than him in their rookie years)
Old 03-24-2007, 08:04 PM   #154
Dtownsfinest
Diamond Member

Dtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant future

Anthony Henry, Terrence Newman, Roy Williams and Ken Hamlin as your secondary? All under 30 and all are solid. Couldn't ask for a better core of guys. Is there a better core?
Dtownsfinest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2007, 12:08 AM   #155
mkat
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dtownsfinest
Anthony Henry, Terrence Newman, Roy Williams and Ken Hamlin as your secondary? All under 30 and all are solid. Couldn't ask for a better core of guys. Is there a better core?
you still need a cover FS.
Old 03-25-2007, 11:45 PM   #156
Dtownsfinest
Diamond Member

Dtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant future

Ken Hamlin is a cover free safety. He's actually one of the safety's who can cover.
Dtownsfinest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2007, 12:04 AM   #157
Five-ofan
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dtownsfinest
Ken Hamlin is a cover free safety. He's actually one of the safety's who can cover.
i honestly wonder if its possible for you to know less about football. hamlin is a hitter.
Old 03-26-2007, 12:27 AM   #158
chumdawg
Guru

Quote:
i honestly wonder if its possible for you to know less about football. hamlin is a hitter.
Be that as it may, he also has extraordinary coverage skills, at least on deep balls (our Achilles last year).
Old 03-26-2007, 12:35 AM   #159
mkat
Platinum Member

from all i've heard, he's a roy williams clone...just less talented after getting bashed in the head.
Old 03-26-2007, 12:43 AM   #160
dirno2000
Diamond Member

I don't watch enough Seahawks games to comment on is coverage abilities but he're a pre-season scouting report from ESPN:

Hamlin has an impressive combination of size and speed. He is physical and aggressive, but also fluid. He has solid communication skills in the secondary. He has above-average key-and-diagnose ability and instincts in coverage. He has very good hips and transition skills for a free safety. He has good range and play speed in deep zones. He makes up a lot of ground and can recover from mistakes when the ball is in the air. He has good awareness in short zones and good ball skills. He can match up in against tight ends in man-to-man. He continues to improve in man and zone coverage. He runs the alleys and is a tough insert player in run support. He takes solid angles and is a very good last line of defense. But an offseason incident that led to a scary head injury could compromise Hamlin's playing style. He drops his head and can miss going for knockout shots, which is undisciplined and now potentially dangerous. He attacks downhill and can get into trouble on play action. He needs to be more disciplined in space.