Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Everything Else > The Lounge

Old 09-12-2009, 02:40 PM   #121
ocelot_ark
Diamond Member

ocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud of

I find it absolutely hilarious that anyone would try to compare The Beatles to crappy pop bands from the 90's/00's. It's quite easy to look back on pop/rock music from the 60's and say that it isn't any good. But that discounts, completely, the CONTEXT of TIME. I'd go as far as to say "I wanna hold your hand" held the social significance of something like "I wanna f*** you like an animal."

My appreciation for The Beatles came of my own accord. My parents had absolutely no impact on my music tastes...they did, however, teach me how to think on my own.

The Beatles are the most influential rock band of all time...deservedly so.
Old 09-12-2009, 02:41 PM   #122
ocelot_ark
Diamond Member

ocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murphy3 View Post
I think we had a poll here on this very site that proved that Elvis was far superior to the beatles.
All such poll would have proved is the overall lack of intelligence/taste/hearing ability of the folks amongst us.
Old 09-12-2009, 06:04 PM   #123
fluid.forty.one

fluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond repute

elvis might be the worst 'musician' in the history of the world
fluid.forty.one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2009, 09:53 AM   #124
Nash13
Diamond Member

Nash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud of

Elvis stole songs that weren't allowed to play on the radio.
The wind rises electric. She's soft and warm and almost weightless. Her perfume is sweet promise that brings tears to my eyes. I tell her that everything will be all right; that I'll save her from whatever she's scared and take her far far away. I tell her that I love her. The silencer makes a whisper of the gunshot. I hold her close until she's gone. I'll never know what she was running from. I'll cash her check in the morning.

~The Salesman
Nash13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 11:09 AM   #125
Big Boy Laroux
Diamond Member

Big Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond repute

Who's better? Beyonce or The Beatles?

Dammit, Kanye, Don't Interrupt!

http://kanyelicio.us/http://www.dall...ad.php?t=35533
Old 09-17-2009, 11:12 AM   #126
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Flacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Boy Laroux View Post
Who's better? Beyonce or The Beatles?

Dammit, Kanye, Don't Interrupt!

http://kanyelicio.us/http://www.dall...ad.php?t=35533
That is stunningly, impressively obnoxious.
Old 09-17-2009, 11:21 AM   #127
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluid.forty.one View Post
elvis might be the worst 'musician' in the history of the world
And you are an f'ing idiot.
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 11:23 AM   #128
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocelot_ark View Post
I find it absolutely hilarious that anyone would try to compare The Beatles to crappy pop bands from the 90's/00's. It's quite easy to look back on pop/rock music from the 60's and say that it isn't any good. But that discounts, completely, the CONTEXT of TIME. I'd go as far as to say "I wanna hold your hand" held the social significance of something like "I wanna f*** you like an animal."

My appreciation for The Beatles came of my own accord. My parents had absolutely no impact on my music tastes...they did, however, teach me how to think on my own.

The Beatles are the most influential rock band of all time...deservedly so.
Obviously, they were influential. I don't think anyone would argue that.. But not all influences are good. You could say that New Kids on the Block were very influential. Whoever started rap music was influential.. but that obviously wasn't a good thing for music or our society.

And hey, I'm the guy that said that I don't really like the Beatles all that much, but I realize that they have some greatness to them.. just that I think they're a bit overrated. But, I was pointing out the obvious in saying that not all "influences" are necessarily "good influences". And no, I'm not saying that the Beatles had a negative impact on music.

Last edited by Murphy3; 09-17-2009 at 11:25 AM.
Old 09-17-2009, 11:27 AM   #129
DirkFTW
Diamond Member

DirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricaLubarsky View Post
Your mom isnt that great either but that hasnt stopped billions of people from "experiencing" her

Is this ghost ball??

Last edited by DirkFTW; 09-17-2009 at 11:28 AM.
DirkFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 01:57 PM   #130
fluid.forty.one

fluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
And you are an f'ing idiot.
murph can't resist those gyrating hips
Old 10-26-2009, 01:23 PM   #131
mavsfan1000
Platinum Member

mavsfan1000 is a jewel in the roughmavsfan1000 is a jewel in the roughmavsfan1000 is a jewel in the roughmavsfan1000 is a jewel in the rough

My favorite band of all-time. They might not be the best musicians but they were great songwriters. It came natural to them. If you don't like their pop stuff, listen to Revolver (minus Yellow Submarine), Sgt Pepper, and the White Album.
mavsfan1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 11:27 PM   #132
fluid.forty.one

Beatles Rock Band...is that great.
Old 10-27-2009, 12:09 PM   #133
Murphy3
Guru

The Beatles..... meh.
Old 10-27-2009, 12:32 PM   #134
bernardos70
Diamond Member

bernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond repute

I gotta say that intro to Beatles Rock Band is great. And playing the game, there are more Beatles songs there that I like than I'd like to admit.

I still am not a big fan (or much of a fan at all) of theirs.
Old 10-27-2009, 12:32 PM   #135
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute

when it comes to The Beatles...its more about influence and right time, right place than pure musical skill. Having said that, I do believe The Beatles are the most important band of modern music.

Without question, Led Zep would play/sing circles around The Beatles.

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"
sike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 01:01 PM   #136
bernardos70
Diamond Member

bernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond repute

Point well taken. If you show me Citizen Kane today, I would be bored to death. Still a classic though, and revolutionary for its time. There's credit to be had in there.
Old 10-27-2009, 11:42 PM   #137
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

Thespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond repute

I'm 22 and I f*cking love the Beatles. And I'm damn sure not the only one. I don't care about the "context of time." Their music is as amazing today in 2009 as it ever was. And you know what? It always will be. You think "Hey Jude" or "Across the Universe" will be forgotten and dismissed when the baby boomers are dead? Give me a break.

Last edited by Thespiralgoeson; 10-27-2009 at 11:46 PM.
Thespiralgoeson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 11:45 PM   #138
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

Thespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by sike View Post
when it comes to The Beatles...its more about influence and right time, right place than pure musical skill. Having said that, I do believe The Beatles are the most important band of modern music.

Without question, Led Zep would play/sing circles around The Beatles.
Jimmy Page and Robert Plant might have been more technically proficient than Lennon/McCartney, but that doesn't mean by any stretch of the imagination that they wrote better songs. And for my money, they didn't. Not even close.
Old 10-28-2009, 08:05 AM   #139
Murphy3
Guru

The beatles song writing ability... meh
Old 10-28-2009, 08:06 AM   #140
Murphy3
Guru

I'm curious as to how big they would have been if they would have stayed together.. I really don't think they would have had nearly the following if they would have lasted another 20 years..

There's something to be said about not staying together for the long haul and dying young.. the Beatles have both of those things going for them.
Old 10-28-2009, 03:27 PM   #141
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

Quote:
The beatles song writing ability... meh
You... meh.

Tags
it's a trap!