Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 04-09-2012, 06:30 PM   #121
Corto Maltese

Corto Maltese is on a distinguished road

I am not a fan of Wright as a PF because of his irregular shoot.
With both Mahinmi and Wright on the floor, it could work because Mahinmi has a decent shoot but Haywood+Wright in the same time...

Last edited by Corto Maltese; 04-09-2012 at 06:30 PM.
Corto Maltese is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-09-2012, 11:16 PM   #122
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

I hope Wright gets some minutes at the 4. The guy has a very complete set of moves and is surprisingly good defensively. In fact his net PER (his PER vs the guy he's defending) and win% overwhelmingly supports that the team is better with him at PF than C.
EricaLubarsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 11:34 PM   #123
clutch#41
Golden Member

clutch#41 is a jewel in the roughclutch#41 is a jewel in the roughclutch#41 is a jewel in the rough

i like the wright-mahimi combo. looking forward to it. it has been used this season before and was actually pretty decent.
clutch#41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 11:46 PM   #124
mavsfan1000
Platinum Member

mavsfan1000 is a jewel in the roughmavsfan1000 is a jewel in the roughmavsfan1000 is a jewel in the roughmavsfan1000 is a jewel in the rough

So Wright is our decided backup PF with Mahinmi getting some minutes as a backup C. Sounds good to me. Better than Odom.
mavsfan1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 12:07 AM   #125
mavs777
Diamond Member

mavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by clutch#41 View Post
i like the wright-mahimi combo. looking forward to it. it has been used this season before and was actually pretty decent.
It was used with Cardinal at the 3, the chances of that working in a playoff aren't that high. Vince needs to start to make threes again

A lineup like
Kidd/West
Terry
VC
Wright
Mahinmi/Haywood

Could work for small stretches
Old 04-10-2012, 12:07 AM   #126
grndmstr_c
Diamond Member

grndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond repute

I haven't gotten the impression that anything was decided regarding the backup PF spot other than that it won't be manned by Odom. The relevant part of the article:

Quote:
“We’ve done it in certain stretches this year,” Carlisle said. “This morning we looked at the film of those stretches. There’s some adjustment, but we’re not going to reinvent our style of play. There’s got to be a few tweaks if he plays that position and we’ll go from there.”
Sounds to me like Rick is just talking about covering all the bases in the wake of Odom's dismissal.
Old 04-10-2012, 08:45 AM   #127
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricaLubarsky View Post
I hope Wright gets some minutes at the 4. The guy has a very complete set of moves and is surprisingly good defensively. In fact his net PER (his PER vs the guy he's defending) and win% overwhelmingly supports that the team is better with him at PF than C.
He's played 1% of the team's PF minutes. Those numbers mean nothing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by grndmstr_c View Post
I haven't gotten the impression that anything was decided regarding the backup PF spot other than that it won't be manned by Odom. The relevant part of the article:

Sounds to me like Rick is just talking about covering all the bases in the wake of Odom's dismissal.
Yep. People are jumping the gun a bit here. The Mavs have spent multiple games playing without Dirk and without Odom. If the Mavs truly believed in Wright as a PF he would have gotten minutes there by now.

I believe that they'll try it, but I think it's far from a certainty that he sticks there.

It's interesting to me that people keep clamoring for him to be played at PF. I understand wanting to see more of the guy, but the Mavs appear to have made a very shrewed assessment of him by playing him at center. No other team has gotten this sort of consistent production out of Wright yet. So why are we so anxious to see him back at the position that he'd essentially failed at? I realize injuries played a large role in his failure, but he also didn't nail down consistent minutes when he was healthy.

I'm curious to see what happens, and I'm not saying it can't work. But I think people need to be careful assuming that Wright can be effective at PF.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com

Last edited by jthig32; 04-10-2012 at 08:49 AM.
jthig32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 09:14 AM   #128
sefant77
Guru

sefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond repute

In the Mavs system the PF need to have range. Wright not even have a midrange game. Thats why he isnt playing PF. At center he cant match up the few really big guys. So it will be a matchup thing and for some matchups we still need Haywood (Ian). Wright against Bynum, M.Gasol....hell no.

Same goes with Jones. Guards/wings need to knock down the open shot. He cant. Thats why he will be gone after his rookie contract.
sefant77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 09:18 AM   #129
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

It's not about what Wright can and can't do - it's about whether you want to see Cardinal or Yi out there... Otherwise, we're going to be running the 3-guard lineup way more than we should.

These days being a fan is a competition to see who can be the most upset when
your team loses. That proves you love winning more. That's how it works.
Underdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 02:00 PM   #130
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by jthig32 View Post
So why are we so anxious to see him back at the position that he'd essentially failed at?
He's so far failed at both positions and this has been his first year of production, so you may as well say that he failed at every position he played. Really every season he's played, he's been more effective at the 4 than any other position other than a brief stint in NJ playing the SF.

When a guy consistently shows that he's better at the 4 than 5 throughout his career and the numbers THIS year (however small they may be at around 30minutes) also show that he's better for the team at the 4 than 5, its obvious why people would like to see him give it a shot. I'm not saying it won't work but considering who else we have and considering the numbers he's put up when allowed to play the 4, I'd say its not a bad gamble particularly if it gives Dirk some rest.

The real reason that Wright hasnt hit the floor at the 4 so far is that he doesnt have a midrange game and thus is not interchangable with Dirk. If the Mavs want to rest Dirk now that Odom is gone, they can go to Marion (who also has no outside game) and Wright or they can turn to Yi simply because he has a jumper. I'd go with the better player instead of sticking to the old strategy simply because you aren't going to have a serviceable player out there at the PF position that can shoot from midrange and three without playing the awful Yi.

I'm not saying he'll be an adonis, but I will say that its worth a shot. 30minutes isnt a lot but as long as the team can succeed with him there, why not let him play. I'm excited about the possibility of it even if I'm uncertain of the outcome.

Last edited by EricaLubarsky; 04-10-2012 at 02:12 PM.
EricaLubarsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 01:26 AM   #131
sefant77
Guru

sefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond repute

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=szkgylvDYA4
Old 04-18-2012, 10:12 PM   #132
sefant77
Guru

1) Wright
2) Haywood (if opp plays really big guys)
3) Ian towel boyband with Cardinal and Yi.
Old 04-19-2012, 03:30 PM   #133
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

DevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond repute

Wright seemed mildy perturbed about the Utah and Lakers games.

(about 28 seconds into the video) http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...v=z3iQATUJ6d8#!

I like his confidence later in the video when he says "I produce"...you tell 'em Brandan.

Last edited by DevinHarriswillstart; 04-19-2012 at 03:30 PM.
DevinHarriswillstart is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
free yourself from fish