Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 04-23-2003, 09:35 PM   #121
roadrunner
Golden Member

roadrunner is a splendid one to beholdroadrunner is a splendid one to beholdroadrunner is a splendid one to beholdroadrunner is a splendid one to beholdroadrunner is a splendid one to beholdroadrunner is a splendid one to beholdroadrunner is a splendid one to beholdroadrunner is a splendid one to beholdroadrunner is a splendid one to beholdroadrunner is a splendid one to beholdroadrunner is a splendid one to behold

Maybe that will get Dirk going...bucket and a foul
We ran like a simple play, and usually the ball doesn’t come get me until later. So I just trotted through the play and I looked to the ball, and it was already right there in my face. … He sees the floor so well and sometimes he throws the ball and we don’t see it. He’s liable to really throw anything.” Dirk

Kidd to Dirk is the present day Stockton to Malone.

roadrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-23-2003, 09:36 PM   #122
MavsFanFinley
Guru

MavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond repute

Nice basket and foul by Dirk.

Was Finley playing too well for Nelson? Would he rather be able to call him another swinging d**k out there?
Old 04-23-2003, 09:36 PM   #123
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

solid job defensively by this team... up top and down low..the best najera has played just about all year
Murphy3 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2003, 09:36 PM   #124
Drbio
Banned

Drbio is an unknown quantity at this point

MFF- Nellie pounced off the bench after the shot before seeing the result and it did look like he may have been caught on the low forearm....He just doesn't miss the rim by four feet like that.

But he does look tired and in need of some rest.
Drbio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2003, 09:37 PM   #125
Drbio
Banned

I wondered when murph would get here. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]
Old 04-23-2003, 09:37 PM   #126
southern_sweets
Diamond Member

southern_sweets will become famous soon enoughsouthern_sweets will become famous soon enough

<< ..the best najera has played just about all year >>

The end is near. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]
southern_sweets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2003, 09:37 PM   #127
TheLordoftheMavs

TheLordoftheMavs is on a distinguished road

This game doesn't have nearly the playoff feel of the first game. It almost feels like a regular season game so far. I wonder is the Blazers are trying to lull the Mavs. Well keep it up [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]
TheLordoftheMavs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2003, 09:38 PM   #128
Platinum Member

#41 is a glorious beacon of light#41 is a glorious beacon of light#41 is a glorious beacon of light#41 is a glorious beacon of light#41 is a glorious beacon of light#41 is a glorious beacon of light#41 is a glorious beacon of light

Nice basket by Dirk at right moment, the blazers where on a little run and he helps holding them behind by some points.
#41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2003, 09:38 PM   #129
Drbio
Banned

Ro Blackmon exudes class.

What a helluva guy.
Old 04-23-2003, 09:39 PM   #130
Drbio
Banned

Nice slam by sheed...but the ball was over the cylinder...still....wow.
Old 04-23-2003, 09:39 PM   #131
Platinum Member

#41 is a glorious beacon of light#41 is a glorious beacon of light#41 is a glorious beacon of light#41 is a glorious beacon of light#41 is a glorious beacon of light#41 is a glorious beacon of light#41 is a glorious beacon of light

Fineyley Finley is back
Old 04-23-2003, 09:40 PM   #132
MavsFanFinley
Guru

MavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond repute

Doc, let me guess, Dirk was fouled on that airball too? Nice putback by Raef, though.
Old 04-23-2003, 09:40 PM   #133
Drbio
Banned

We are big again. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Dirk got hacked. Damn.
Old 04-23-2003, 09:41 PM   #134
Drbio
Banned

<< Doc, let me guess, Dirk was fouled on that airball too? Nice putback by Raef, though. >>

Not that one. Yuck.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-disgusted.gif[/img]

Stop being sassy. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]
Old 04-23-2003, 09:41 PM   #135
roadrunner
Golden Member

roadrunner is a splendid one to beholdroadrunner is a splendid one to beholdroadrunner is a splendid one to beholdroadrunner is a splendid one to beholdroadrunner is a splendid one to beholdroadrunner is a splendid one to beholdroadrunner is a splendid one to beholdroadrunner is a splendid one to beholdroadrunner is a splendid one to beholdroadrunner is a splendid one to beholdroadrunner is a splendid one to behold

WTF? No foul call????
We ran like a simple play, and usually the ball doesn’t come get me until later. So I just trotted through the play and I looked to the ball, and it was already right there in my face. … He sees the floor so well and sometimes he throws the ball and we don’t see it. He’s liable to really throw anything.” Dirk

Old 04-23-2003, 09:43 PM   #136
Drbio
Banned

Bonzi Wells is a putz.
Old 04-23-2003, 09:43 PM   #137
Chiwas
Guru

Chiwas is infamous around these partsChiwas is infamous around these parts

<< We are big again. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Dirk got hacked. Damn.
>>

I don't mind if Eddie is out; we shoudn't be that small without Shawn and/or LaF for so many minutes.
Old 04-23-2003, 09:43 PM   #138
MavsFanFinley
Guru

I hate Wells.
Old 04-23-2003, 09:44 PM   #139
Platinum Member

Did Dirk play worse ever before, yes, but not in the playoffs and he never took that many shots and misses them all, 11 misses on 14 attempts in one half. Little comparison: T-Mac also attempted 14 shots in the first half tonight, but made 10 of them...and last saturday, well you know...
Old 04-23-2003, 09:45 PM   #140
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

it's amazing, i watch the philadelphia game..if you breathe on iverson, it's a foul.. dirk can't buy a call..getting hit on the arm on his jumpshot..taking shots in the head around the rim.

oh well, i guess it takes time to gain the respect of officials.. unfortunately, it shouldn't work like that
Old 04-23-2003, 09:45 PM   #141
Platinum Member

Bonzi's performance 2night is even as impressive as Dirk was last game.
Old 04-23-2003, 09:45 PM   #142
Drbio
Banned

Not bad. Dirk was off (only 12 points)....Nash picked us up (13 points).....played good defense and we still lead 48-42.

D. Nowitzki 23 4-16 1-4 3-3 0 4 0 3 2 0 0 12
R. LaFrentz 15 2-4 0-1 2-2 1 2 0 2 1 0 2 6
S. Bradley 8 0-1 0-0 1-2 0 3 0 1 0 0 2 1
M. Finley 13 2-4 0-1 0-0 1 2 1 1 0 0 1 4
S. Nash 19 5-8 2-2 1-2 0 2 2 0 0 0 1 13
E. Najera 14 2-3 0-0 0-0 2 3 0 0 2 0 1 4
N. Van Exel 13 3-5 2-4 0-0 0 1 3 0 1 0 0 8
A. Griffin 5 0-1 0-0 0-0 0 3 0 0 0 0 2 0

Totals 110 18-42 5-12 7-9 4 20 6 7 6 0 9 48
Old 04-23-2003, 09:46 PM   #143
NajFan

NajFan is on a distinguished road

Don't worry
i smell a win by 15
and Dirk still gets 30
Old 04-23-2003, 09:47 PM   #144
Bayliss

Bayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond repute

But put it in some perspective. The missed airball non foul call.

4-15 instead of 4-16

The last non-foul call when he got hammered.

4-14 instead of 4-16.

The not taking the 60 footer at the end of the first.

4-13 instead of 4-16.

He isn't shooting that badly. Not getting a lot of respect from the refs. But not really forcing a lot either. He has missed 3 wide open shots, though.

Bayliss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2003, 09:48 PM   #145
Platinum Member

<< it's amazing, i watch the philadelphia game..if you breathe on iverson, it's a foul.. dirk can't buy a call..getting hit on the arm on his jumpshot..taking shots in the head around the rim.

oh well, i guess it takes time to gain the respect of officials.. unfortunately, it shouldn't work like that
>>

Man! Dirk should really get those calls, he's a f***ing allstar.
Old 04-23-2003, 09:49 PM   #146
Drbio
Banned

More perspective.

When you can say a guy stunk and he has 12 points, 4 boards, and 2 steals at the half then you aren't really hurting all that much. Especially when we all know he is going to bust off a nice run eventually.
Old 04-23-2003, 09:50 PM   #147
roadrunner
Golden Member

One thing about Dirk though is that he normally doesn't struggle for long. He could very easily come out in the 2nd half and make most of his shots.

The important thing though is that we are up by 6, playing good D, and rebounding well.

Old 04-23-2003, 09:51 PM   #148
MavsFanFinley
Guru

(correction, my bad on math. Dirk had 16 shots, but Fin, Nash, NVE have taken 18, not 17 shots as I posted earlier.)

The problem I have is that Dirk has taken a lot of dumb shots. It's one thing to make sure you feed him, that he takes the most shots, but he's taken almost as many shots as Finley, Nash, and NVE combined.

16 shots for Dirk, 18 for the other 3.

In the first game it was fine, he was pretty much unstoppable. Tonight, however, it looks like he wants to eclipse his 46 points by throwing up his shots.

Add the fact that Finley, Nash, and NVE look much sharper offensively than in game 1, it's really frustrating.
Old 04-23-2003, 09:52 PM   #149
MavsFanFinley
Guru

<< When you can say a guy stunk and he has 12 points, 4 boards, and 2 steals at the half then you aren't really hurting all that much. >>

Don't forget the 3 turnovers.

No doubt Dirk will bust out, but if this was anyone other than Dirk, everyone would be all over him.
Old 04-23-2003, 09:52 PM   #150
Drbio
Banned

I posted earlier that I thought they should have fed Finley and Nash more. I won't argue with that. But, if there is one guy on this team that I don't mind shooting his way out of a slow start...it's Dirk.
Old 04-23-2003, 09:53 PM   #151
TheLordoftheMavs

TheLordoftheMavs is on a distinguished road

Dirk better learn to play through this kind of stuff. He can't have the attitude of if I got calls I would be better. He just can't. He is doing excatly what he needs to do. Shut up and play. Let your coach do the bitching. You just go back down the floor and play great D. He normally gets his fair share of calls.

I see everyone on this board wanting him to play inside more and post up, and when you do that you have to take more physical play. We are used to seeing him outside where the contact is easier to see and call. Inside is a different flavor. You have to learn to play with the contact. Its about power inside.
TheLordoftheMavs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2003, 09:53 PM   #152
Murphy3
Guru

good play by the mavs..i like that they stuck with dirk..he scored some late points in the second to hopefully get him going a bit.

so far when posting up... 6 possessions..3 baskets for 7 points

the mavs must continue to play solid D and take care of the glass. but, they must also look to get fin more involved offensively. How? well, i'd like to see fin move more without the ball.

We always say that he struggles handling the ball..well, let's take care of that problem and have him cut through the lane a bit more often when dirk gets the ball in the high post. I'm sure fin could be hit a time or two for a high flying slam
Old 04-23-2003, 09:54 PM   #153
Chiwas
Guru

Barkley is talking too much again.
Old 04-23-2003, 09:54 PM   #154
Drbio
Banned

Barkley just said that if Sacramento and Philly make the NBA finals he will give $50,000 each to the charities of Kenny Smith and that other guy.
Old 04-23-2003, 09:56 PM   #155
Platinum Member

10-15 in the first half on Sat. rest of the team shooting bad

04-16 in the first half tonight rest: 14-27, that's over 50%!
Old 04-23-2003, 09:56 PM   #156
Drbio
Banned

One of the keys of this game will be Finleys involvement in the second half. He was shooting nicely in the first, and his body language was just back to normal it seemed.
Old 04-23-2003, 09:57 PM   #157
Chiwas
Guru

<< Dirk better learn to play through this kind of stuff. He can't have the attitude of if I got calls I would be better. He just can't. He is doing excatly what he needs to do. Shut up and play. Let your coach do the bitching. You just go back down the floor and play great D. He normally gets his fair share of calls.

I see everyone on this board wanting him to play inside more and post up, and when you do that you have to take more physical play. We are used to seeing him outside where the contact is easier to see and call. Inside is a different flavor. You have to learn to play with the contact. Its about power inside.
>>

Very good post.
Old 04-23-2003, 09:58 PM   #158
Murphy3
Guru

you're right mavsfanfinley, if it were anyone else..we would be all over them.

why aren't we all over dirk? because there's on person on this team that is head and shoulders above the rest in offensive ability.. and that is dirk...many of us are more willing to allow him to work his way out of a slow start than say a player like NVE.

Why? look at their track record. Dirk is the best offensive player on the team without a doubt. The best offensive option takes his shots when they're there.

I would like to see him take the ball to the basket more in the second half though. If he struggles to similar numbers as he did in the first half, then we can discuss it more at the end of the game.

But, you dance with the one that brought you.

It's the big three in name only when it comes to offense. It's dirk and then it's fin/nash
Old 04-23-2003, 09:59 PM   #159
TheseRefsAreAJoke

TheseRefsAreAJoke is on a distinguished road

No Sir, not going to fly. I know your agenda MFF. I taped the game, watched a few things on it at the half. Dirk was clearly hit on the arm on 4 jumpshots and mauled several other times. Deplorable reffing. Dirk is ok, its these refs.
TheseRefsAreAJoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2003, 09:59 PM   #160
FilthyFinMavs
Diamond Member

FilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the rough

Now I understand that Dirk's our number 1 option and thats fine and dandy but while Nick, Fin and Nash struggled last game why not let them shoot some? Let Dirk work his way in the post and kick it out to our guys and let them contribute. I thought the plan was to work Fin back into the lineup? They are literally working him out of it.

1996-2005
FilthyFinMavs is offline   Reply With Quote