Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 11-21-2020, 03:23 AM   #1561
sefant77
Guru

sefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond repute

And no one fucks with him, including Morris

Quote:
The thing is, James Johnson holds a second-degree black belt in karate, and he's also undefeated in seven MMA matches as well as 20 kickboxing matches. In one notable anecdote retold to*Grantland, former teammates from Johnson's first stint with the Toronto Raptors talked about the time he hit rim with a spinning heel kick. Basically, he isn't the guy you want to try anything with.
https://www.bardown.com/ben-simmons-...-off-1.1064026
sefant77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-21-2020, 03:24 AM   #1562
sefant77
Guru

sefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond repute

And no one fucks with him, including Morris

Quote:
The thing is, James Johnson holds a second-degree black belt in karate, and he's also undefeated in seven MMA matches as well as 20 kickboxing matches. In one notable anecdote retold to*Grantland, former teammates from Johnson's first stint with the Toronto Raptors talked about the time he hit rim with a spinning heel kick. Basically, he isn't the guy you want to try anything with.
https://www.bardown.com/ben-simmons-...-off-1.1064026
Old 11-21-2020, 04:20 AM   #1563
ozmavs123

ozmavs123 is a glorious beacon of lightozmavs123 is a glorious beacon of lightozmavs123 is a glorious beacon of lightozmavs123 is a glorious beacon of lightozmavs123 is a glorious beacon of lightozmavs123 is a glorious beacon of lightozmavs123 is a glorious beacon of lightozmavs123 is a glorious beacon of light

I really like all the moves this off-season. Actually I have pretty much been impressed with every move since Haralabos Voulgaris come on board, he's probably the sharpest basketball analysts out there and I feel very confident that he is influencing our decisions.

Our defence got a lot stronger with Richardson and Green. James Johnson gives us a presence that we need.

I also really like the attitudes of Green and Terry (from their interviews so far anyway).
ozmavs123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2020, 05:01 AM   #1564
Dtownsfinest
Diamond Member

Dtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallas41 View Post
I disagree that Wright sucks.

I'd say he didn't fit which is two seperate things.

As for Johnson he played 32 games last year. Basically he was a DNP for roughly 40 games.

That's close to basically being in that C.Lee category. I don't think he sucks I just don't think RC is going to play him because he's in a different situation than Wright.

Wright was considered a prime off season acquisition for the Mavs they wanted to try and make it work.

Johnson is someone who I think they have plans to move again later in the season for salary matching purposes.

I highly doubt dude see's anywhere near the minutes Wright got.
Yeah I don’t know where this “sucks” title is coming from on Wright. Wouldn’t shock me at all if he finds a role with OKC. He’s a better player than James Johnson just not a better fit.

I hope I’m wrong but I agree with you I don’t think he’s here because of the player he is. I think he’s here because of his expiring contract.

Last edited by Dtownsfinest; 11-21-2020 at 05:03 AM.
Dtownsfinest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2020, 05:14 AM   #1565
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

Thespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond repute

Wright sucked here. I'm amazed that anyone would think otherwise.
Thespiralgoeson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2020, 06:40 AM   #1566
rimrocker
Diamond Member

rimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond repute

Love the trade because it kills 3 birds with one stone.

1. Improves our cap situation going into next year.
2. Provides more strength, power and attitude to our roster.
3. Provides another tradeable asset for this season.

At least Rick now has an option when teams start bullying up to us.
rimrocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2020, 07:42 AM   #1567
FromSloveniaWithLove

FromSloveniaWithLove is just really niceFromSloveniaWithLove is just really niceFromSloveniaWithLove is just really niceFromSloveniaWithLove is just really niceFromSloveniaWithLove is just really niceFromSloveniaWithLove is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by rimrocker View Post
Love the trade because it kills 3 birds with one stone.

1. Improves our cap situation going into next year.
2. Provides more strength, power and attitude to our roster.
3. Provides another tradeable asset for this season.

At least Rick now has an option when teams start bullying up to us.
Who are we targeting for 2021 FA? I have a feeling Cuban still daydreams about Giannis...

I still think we need someone who can really help Doncic and KP Just because of injuries. I still hope they make the right move for the third star this season.

Doncic is working his ass off and gives 150% into every game.. I think that's why he is so often injured. And we already know that KP is gonna have a lot of load management this year. We need third guy.
FromSloveniaWithLove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2020, 08:24 AM   #1568
rimrocker
Diamond Member

rimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by FromSloveniaWithLove View Post
Who are we targeting for 2021 FA? I have a feeling Cuban still daydreams about Giannis...

I still think we need someone who can really help Doncic and KP Just because of injuries. I still hope they make the right move for the third star this season.

Doncic is working his ass off and gives 150% into every game.. I think that's why he is so often injured. And we already know that KP is gonna have a lot of load management this year. We need third guy.
That 3rd guy will obviously have to come in the form of a trade this season.
No idea who they could target but like I said, they have some nice tradeable assets. Remember, we most likely wouldn't have KP if we didn't have that huge expiring contract of DJ so those things make a difference.

I agree completely we need a 3rd guy but it wouldn't surprise me if the Mavs let this thing play out a few months by giving some of our current players the opportunity first. Even if some of them progress nicely, they could become trade bait for a bigger fish at the TDL.

Last edited by rimrocker; 11-21-2020 at 08:25 AM.
Old 11-21-2020, 08:51 AM   #1569
tap2390
Diamond Member

tap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond repute

Doncic - Brunson - Burke - Terry
THJ - Green
JRich
DFS - Johnson - Kleber
KP - Powell - Boban

Now I want to see someone like De’Anthony Melton or Brogdon come in and slot behind JRich
Old 11-21-2020, 09:05 AM   #1570
Dtownsfinest
Diamond Member

Dtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thespiralgoeson View Post
Wright sucked here. I'm amazed that anyone would think otherwise.
No one is questioning how good he was here. It’s clear he wasn’t a fit. But he was a solid player before getting here we all liked that signing last year.
Dtownsfinest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2020, 09:12 AM   #1571
Melonhead
Guru

Melonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I disagree that Wright sucks.

I'd say he didn't fit which is two seperate things.

As for Johnson he played 32 games last year. Basically he was a DNP for roughly 40 games.

That's close to basically being in that C.Lee category. I don't think he sucks I just don't think RC is going to play him because he's in a different situation than Wright.

Wright was considered a prime off season acquisition for the Mavs they wanted to try and make it work.

Johnson is someone who I think they have plans to move again later in the season for salary matching purposes.

I highly doubt dude see's anywhere near the minutes Wright got.
With most things you need context. Johnson was on the heat who clearly didn’t need him so he only played in 18 games. Once he was traded to Minnesota in Feb, he played in every game before the shutdown, averaging 22 minutes on 50% fg. He should absolutely get run with our roster.
Old 11-21-2020, 09:21 AM   #1572
sefant77
Guru

Johnson averaged in 14 Games in Minny 12/5/4 with one Block, one steal
Old 11-21-2020, 09:28 AM   #1573
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

EricaLubarsky is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2020, 09:35 AM   #1574
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

Johnson giving me them Stevenson vibes
Old 11-21-2020, 09:45 AM   #1575
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

Mavs contracts
1) KP
2) THJ
3) Johnson
4) Richardson
5) Powell
6) Kleber
7) Doncic
8) DFS
9) Boban
10) Brunson
11) Burke
12) Green (guaranteed 1st rounder)
13)
---inactive---
14)
15)
---two-way players-----
16) Nate Hinton
17) T. Bey

other
Terry - second-round pick. Contract is optional
We still have the whole MLE, right? We used BAE on Burke, I think.
Old 11-21-2020, 09:50 AM   #1576
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

DevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond repute

Mavs must feel strongly that Giannis isn't extending. Otherwise, what's the point of all that space next summer?

DevinHarriswillstart is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2020, 09:50 AM   #1577
rimrocker
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tap2390 View Post
Doncic - Brunson - Burke - Terry
THJ - Green
JRich
DFS - Johnson - Kleber
KP - Powell - Boban

Now I want to see someone like De’Anthony Melton or Brogdon come in and slot behind JRich
I'm reaching here but I think Terry will become a Carlisle favorite and get a great opportunity to get burn this season.
I also think he'll flourish in this system and will develop very quickly to become a part of the rotation by the end of the season (just my gut feeling).

Can't ignore his rapid development, skillset that is very conducive to our system and similar to Curry's, quick release, and overall extremely high BBIQ.

I predict this kid is going to be special....Terry (JET) special.

Last edited by rimrocker; 11-21-2020 at 09:53 AM.
Old 11-21-2020, 09:52 AM   #1578
MFFL
Guru

MFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond repute

I expect that Lee will be resigned for the minimum now that we have a roster spot
MFFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2020, 09:55 AM   #1579
MFFL
Guru

MFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dtownsfinest View Post
No one is questioning how good he was here. It’s clear he wasn’t a fit. But he was a solid player before getting here we all liked that signing last year.
"We" is an exaggeration. I didn't particularly like the contract OR the fact that we gave up two 2nd round draft choices to be allowed to sign him
Old 11-21-2020, 09:59 AM   #1580
MFFL
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by sefant77 View Post
Getting off Wrights 9m next summer is great
Dude is solid but just wasnt a fit. Johnson is perfect, expiring contract but also had a nice finish in Minny:

https://twitter.com/Boweman55/status...851335168?s=19
I love how that Johnson was basically in the low 20's on minutes in those games
Old 11-21-2020, 10:08 AM   #1581
rimrocker
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MFFL View Post
I expect that Lee will be resigned for the minimum now that we have a roster spot
I hope not.
I really like Lee but we need another center or at least someone who can play center. KP and Powell are coming off bad injuries, Boban is limited, Johnson is maybe 6'8, and Maxi isn't a true center. We saw how we got torched when KP, Powell and WCS were out so we desperately need insurance at that position imo. I think we are pretty solid at guard and wings now.

Last edited by rimrocker; 11-21-2020 at 10:10 AM.
Old 11-21-2020, 10:12 AM   #1582
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevinHarriswillstart View Post
Mavs must feel strongly that Giannis isn't extending. Otherwise, what's the point of all that space next summer?
I'm not sure if that was the main reason for this move. It's not like we're out there trying to make every move we can to dump long-term salary.
Johnson is a beastly defensive stopper who can play PF next to DFS

Jackson was a big nothing. You lose nothing by dumping him and give him another chance to show something.

Wright was unhappy and you have to dump those guys. Often times just dumping unhappy players can make the rest of the team happier/better.

We also got a roster spot for Terry or a free agent

By all reports, we still have the MLE and are looking to use it (Burke came from BAE)

Last edited by EricaLubarsky; 11-21-2020 at 10:19 AM.
Old 11-21-2020, 10:18 AM   #1583
BPo001
Diamond Member

BPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond repute

Nate Duncan: By trading for James Johnson, Dallas clears Delon Wright’s $8.5m for 2021-22. With that an Curry trade, now project for $35m in space in 2021. –

Justin Holiday is staying with the Pacers on a three-year, $18.8 million deal, per league sources. No options. He was the only Pacer to play in every game last season and had a strong market. At 31, it’s the first multi-year deal of his career. What he wanted
BPo001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2020, 10:18 AM   #1584
BPo001
Diamond Member

BPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond repute

Nate Duncan: By trading for James Johnson, Dallas clears Delon Wright’s $8.5m for 2021-22. With that an Curry trade, now project for $35m in space in 2021. –

Justin Holiday is staying with the Pacers on a three-year, $18.8 million deal, per league sources. No options. He was the only Pacer to play in every game last season and had a strong market. At 31, it’s the first multi-year deal of his career. What he wanted
Old 11-21-2020, 10:19 AM   #1585
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

DevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricaLubarsky View Post
I'm not sure if that was the main reason for this move.

Johnson is a beastly defensive stopper who can play PF next to DFS

Jackson was a big nothing.

Wright was unhappy and you have to dump those guys.

We also got a roster spot for Terry
Right but the Mavs are still accumulating expiring contracts like they've basically been doing for 10 years now.

I'm happy with Johnson and getting rid of Wright, but it still all points to next summer.

I guess we'll see if they add longer term salary in either Ibaka or Brogdan. Doubt it.

DevinHarriswillstart is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2020, 10:21 AM   #1586
BPo001
Diamond Member

John Wall would like a trade from the Washington Wizards.

Lol. Good luck with that.
Old 11-21-2020, 10:21 AM   #1587
BPo001
Diamond Member

Old 11-21-2020, 10:22 AM   #1588
sefant77
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricaLubarsky View Post
Mavs contracts
1) KP
2) THJ
3) Johnson
4) Richardson
5) Powell
6) Kleber
7) Doncic
8) DFS
9) Boban
10) Brunson
11) Burke
12) Green (guaranteed 1st rounder)
13)
---inactive---
14)
15)
---two-way players-----
16) Nate Hinton
17) T. Bey

other
Terry - second-round pick. Contract is optional
We still have the whole MLE, right? We used BAE on Burke, I think.
No, BAE is limited to two years. Burke is eating 3.x off the MLE.

So we have now the MLE with around 6m a year and the BAE

Last edited by sefant77; 11-21-2020 at 10:23 AM.
Old 11-21-2020, 10:32 AM   #1589
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

So other than GA, what does the 2021 FA class look like?
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2020, 10:41 AM   #1590
Scoobay
Golden Member

Scoobay has a brilliant futureScoobay has a brilliant futureScoobay has a brilliant futureScoobay has a brilliant futureScoobay has a brilliant futureScoobay has a brilliant futureScoobay has a brilliant futureScoobay has a brilliant futureScoobay has a brilliant futureScoobay has a brilliant futureScoobay has a brilliant future

Quote:
I love how that Johnson was basically in the low 20's on minutes in those games
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hrPVwjJWeLw

Never really paid attention to him honestly...
interesting skill set - was used as a ballhandler and distributor at times running the pick and roll. decent handle with spin moves to either side and finishing. surprised me with some good passing and timely cuts. hope his jumpshot is consistent esp from 3. definitely a bigger wing that adds needed muscle. i like the idea of keeping him on the team honestly though if he's a resource that brings back a better piece in a trade that's fine obviously.
Scoobay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2020, 10:43 AM   #1591
Bryan_Wilson
Diamond Member

Bryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevinHarriswillstart View Post
Right but the Mavs are still accumulating expiring contracts like they've basically been doing for 10 years now.

I'm happy with Johnson and getting rid of Wright, but it still all points to next summer.

I guess we'll see if they add longer term salary in either Ibaka or Brogdan. Doubt it.
I personally hope we aren't done but it feels like we are pretty much done minus a small move for a big. I can't complain really because Rich and Johnson kinda fit what this team really needs. This off season, compared to others, has been a home run.

I'm really not looking forward to next off season though. I'm sick of the Giannis talk personally. As a NBA fan I hate it, I'm obviously going to be fine with it if by a miracle he signs here but I hate when top 5 players join up. I'll also hate hitting f5 for a week straight waiting on Giannis to have 5 or 6 dinners. There are others aside from Giannis though which is why I will stomach it next off season.

Feels like an improved version of plan powder... again I can't be upset this off season(because the team is 100% better than it was to end last year) but next off season when we are holding a bag full of money (again) ... I just hope that plan b, c, d, etc guys next year haven't all signed deals leaving us with spending 30mill on a new Harrison Barnes when we wait a week on a Giannis pipe dream.
Bryan_Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2020, 11:07 AM   #1592
Dallas41
Diamond Member

Dallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPo001 View Post

Anyone can be moved in this league.

It seems like Mavs fans are the only fans that think a bad contract is a death sentence.

Chris paul wasn't supposed to be able to be moved. He's been moved twice now.

There's a few other bad contracts that have been moved via trades over last few years.

So, really it's not going to surprise me if Wall gets moved by January.

Last edited by Dallas41; 11-21-2020 at 11:07 AM.
Dallas41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2020, 11:09 AM   #1593
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

We got better this offseason and set ourselves up for even more improvement in seasons to come by not overplaying our hand.

We started the offseason with very little going right for us. Down two first rounders, over the cap, lots of misfitting pieces. Low talent level.

I think we did really well. We dumped the bad pieces. We added a lot of talented young kids via trade and draft. And we created space that can be used to add talent via salary dump or making a run at some 2020 and 2021 free agents.
Old 11-21-2020, 11:15 AM   #1594
Dallas41
Diamond Member

Dallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud of

Quote:
No disrespect but you can't really want that to happen.

This team needs another legit big.

I love KP but no way I'm trusting him and Powell to get through the full season intact even if they are rested on b2b nights.

Cuban needs to be smart and sign a quality big even for insurance.

As of matter of fact I'm not even sure why they b.s. just bring back WCS unless he just doesn't want to be here.
Old 11-21-2020, 11:27 AM   #1595
Dallas41
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melonhead View Post
With most things you need context. Johnson was on the heat who clearly didn’t need him so he only played in 18 games. Once he was traded to Minnesota in Feb, he played in every game before the shutdown, averaging 22 minutes on 50% fg. He should absolutely get run with our roster.
He should but we are talking about the Mavs here.

What looks like clear playing time for a guy might not come to fruition in Dallas.

What if RC experiments with him as only a small ball C and the results aren't good after 2-3 games does that get him DNP for the next 5-6 games?

I think we need to hold off on the automatic rotation thing or he'll get minutes just because he did other places.

There have been guys who have come here and got decent PT elsewhere only to have to go through the Mavs way of doing minutes or rotations.

If he plays great by now you guys should know I'm a huge fan of bigger wing players. I've been complaining about the lack of size there for years.

But I also know RC is a mad scientist and that sometimes takes a specific player out of the equation even if he performs well when he does play.
Old 11-21-2020, 11:45 AM   #1596
Skywalker
Diamond Member

Skywalker has a reputation beyond reputeSkywalker has a reputation beyond reputeSkywalker has a reputation beyond reputeSkywalker has a reputation beyond reputeSkywalker has a reputation beyond reputeSkywalker has a reputation beyond reputeSkywalker has a reputation beyond reputeSkywalker has a reputation beyond reputeSkywalker has a reputation beyond reputeSkywalker has a reputation beyond reputeSkywalker has a reputation beyond repute

For some reason I thought Johnson was just a goon but after watching some videos Im impressed to see he can actually playmake and even create his own shot to some extent. As long as he brings the defense every night I think he will have a nice impact with the Mavs tbh

Quote:
Dirk Nowitzki is a monster of epic and unattainable proportion. Seriously, he must be stopped.
Skywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2020, 11:55 AM   #1597
Skywalker
Diamond Member

Skywalker has a reputation beyond reputeSkywalker has a reputation beyond reputeSkywalker has a reputation beyond reputeSkywalker has a reputation beyond reputeSkywalker has a reputation beyond reputeSkywalker has a reputation beyond reputeSkywalker has a reputation beyond reputeSkywalker has a reputation beyond reputeSkywalker has a reputation beyond reputeSkywalker has a reputation beyond reputeSkywalker has a reputation beyond repute

He also fills a huge need we had in guarding bigger wings ala lebron and kawhi. DFS did his best but hes just too small

Quote:
Dirk Nowitzki is a monster of epic and unattainable proportion. Seriously, he must be stopped.
Skywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2020, 11:58 AM   #1598
Dallas41
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoobay View Post
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hrPVwjJWeLw

Never really paid attention to him honestly...
interesting skill set - was used as a ballhandler and distributor at times running the pick and roll. decent handle with spin moves to either side and finishing. surprised me with some good passing and timely cuts. hope his jumpshot is consistent esp from 3. definitely a bigger wing that adds needed muscle. i like the idea of keeping him on the team honestly though if he's a resource that brings back a better piece in a trade that's fine obviously.
Keep that video saved.....

For the record I agree with everything you said. He's been solid throughout his career.

But here's why I said save the video

I hope I'm wrong but my gut feeling is in Dallas you won't even see him get a chance to handle the ball that way and two I bet he becomes just a stationary guy on the perimeter.

We can all clearly see he's capable of making plays but I'd bet money in Dallas that he won't have the freedom to play that style.
Old 11-21-2020, 12:07 PM   #1599
rimrocker
Diamond Member

Quote:
No disrespect but you can't really want that to happen.

This team needs another legit big.

I love KP but no way I'm trusting him and Powell to get through the full season intact even if they are rested on b2b nights.

Cuban needs to be smart and sign a quality big even for insurance.

As of matter of fact I'm not even sure why they b.s. just bring back WCS unless he just doesn't want to be here.
Completely agree and almost verbatim to my response.

I think WCS is exploring options for a better situation than simply being insurance which is what he'd basically be and I think Mavs are wanting to fill that "insurance" role with a vet min. Centers are a dime a dozen now, and can be sign at any time of the year for next to nothing, so I completely understand if that is the Mavs stance on the WCS situation.

Imagine if a guy like Milsap falls through the cracks and would be available for 6mil on a 1 yr deal. I think that is what Mavs are looking at and then sign one of those centers that are sitting on their couch waiting for a call for next to nothing to fill that final spot.

At least that is my take.

Last edited by rimrocker; 11-21-2020 at 12:09 PM.
Old 11-21-2020, 12:09 PM   #1600
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skywalker View Post
For some reason I thought Johnson was just a goon but after watching some videos Im impressed to see he can actually playmake and even create his own shot to some extent. As long as he brings the defense every night I think he will have a nice impact with the Mavs tbh
He’s no Lebrun but yeah he’s a super high IQ guy and can help with the playmaking and at the very least can keep the ball moving. I know that that was one of the hits on Powell in his early seasons. He got better but Powell in his first seasons would kill the flow offense. Johnson shouldn’t.