Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 06-14-2009, 09:58 PM   #1601
Nowitzki4President

Nowitzki4President is a splendid one to beholdNowitzki4President is a splendid one to beholdNowitzki4President is a splendid one to beholdNowitzki4President is a splendid one to beholdNowitzki4President is a splendid one to beholdNowitzki4President is a splendid one to beholdNowitzki4President is a splendid one to beholdNowitzki4President is a splendid one to beholdNowitzki4President is a splendid one to beholdNowitzki4President is a splendid one to beholdNowitzki4President is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by 241mavsrule View Post
How do you propose we do this
That's where the problem is, coming up with trades isn't my strong suit.

Josh + Stack for Carter

Terry for Kaman (Aren't they looking for something other than bigmen? Seeing as they have like 4 or 5) (They may also make us take Baron, which would screw this up, it all depends)

Damp + $$$ For RJ (Pretty sure they're among the teams trying to save money)

The first one is very possible

Second one is subject to change, due to the Baron situation.

Third is just an idea.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nowitzki4President View Post
Nowitzki4President is the greatest man to ever live!

Last edited by Nowitzki4President; 06-14-2009 at 09:59 PM.
Nowitzki4President is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-14-2009, 10:09 PM   #1602
BGMaverick9
Guru

BGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

Josh + Stack for Carter

Terry for Kaman (Aren't they looking for something other than bigmen? Seeing as they have like 4 or 5) (They may also make us take Baron, which would screw this up, it all depends)

Third is just an idea.
I don't think that Clippers deal happens...they want a SF more than anything else. It seems like Detroit would be a fit with Prince and a smaller piece for Kaman.

I think the VC deal has some potential.

Stack/Carroll and 22 for RJ.
I think that has a pretty decent chance to make waves if we tried to do it. It has Bucks fans attention.
Old 06-14-2009, 10:36 PM   #1603
Nowitzki4President

Nowitzki4President is a splendid one to beholdNowitzki4President is a splendid one to beholdNowitzki4President is a splendid one to beholdNowitzki4President is a splendid one to beholdNowitzki4President is a splendid one to beholdNowitzki4President is a splendid one to beholdNowitzki4President is a splendid one to beholdNowitzki4President is a splendid one to beholdNowitzki4President is a splendid one to beholdNowitzki4President is a splendid one to beholdNowitzki4President is a splendid one to behold

The thing with Stack is... We MUST exploit the crap out of his contract. Whatever deal including him that gets us the best is the one we have to do. The thing is, most of them are Stack/Player X For "Player Y"

Player X 90% (or so) of the time is Josh. So that means... What's the best thing we can get for JHo + Stack?

Some ideas are

Them for Shaq
Them for Vince Carter
Them for RJ/Ridnour
Them for Caron B/Mike James (And last I heard, they aren't interested in shopping Caron)

The best is either Shaq or Carter. I say Carter because he has more in the tank (about as old as Dirk) has experience with Kidd (Who will be the facilitator of our offense) and fixes one of, if not our biggest problems, being the 2 guard. (2 Biggest problems are SG and C, obviously). To me, fixing the SG spot with someone like Carter is rarer than fixing our Center issue. Just get Kaman, he's younger, German (I'm German, Dirk's German lol) and mainly is NOT BAD AT BASKETBALL (Unlike Damp)

The only problem with Josh + Stack for Carter is that it leaves us to improve at SF.

Back to Kaman... Can Shaq or Damp do this? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gmkzXWvUkEg

Quote:

Last edited by Nowitzki4President; 06-14-2009 at 10:38 PM.
Old 06-14-2009, 10:45 PM   #1604
BGMaverick9
Guru

BGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond repute

Them for RJ and Ridnour is a pretty bad idea IMO.

I still think that other idea is better:
RJ for Stack, Carroll and 22.

Josh AND VC together would be pretty good, but I have no faith that a deal could happen where you have them with Dirk, Kidd and a Center.
Old 06-14-2009, 10:54 PM   #1605
Nowitzki4President

Quote:
Originally Posted by BGMaverick9 View Post
Them for RJ and Ridnour is a pretty bad idea IMO.

I still think that other idea is better:
RJ for Stack, Carroll and 22.
I agree with your first point, we could get better, such as the one you offered.

If your proposal were to go through, that would leave us with to offer:

Terry
JHo
Damp
maybe Bass in a S&T
Cash

We'd still be looking for a SG and a Center, also we'd need to MLE for a good role player off the bench (Pietrus?, Felton, Sheed, Quis)

I love Marquis Daniels, just saying...

With what we have left to offer, we should have enough to fill in the gaps. Any ideas BG?

Quote:

Last edited by Nowitzki4President; 06-14-2009 at 10:58 PM.
Old 06-14-2009, 10:54 PM   #1606
grndmstr_c
Diamond Member

grndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond repute
Default The "Damnit, I knew we should've gotten Salmons at the deadline" list

Cuban's continued insistence that he's setting a pretty high bar for taking on contracts that go into 2010 has me thinking about fall-back options in finding stuff to do with Stack. The target I'm aiming for in this little exercise is to think of trades that would disappoint most of us on the board (in some case profoundly), but which would at least have a shot at provide the team with one guy who'd crack the rotation, and at the same time would satisfy Cuban's 2010 salary mandate. That means the players coming back to Dallas have to have PERs around 15 or below, and if the contracts coming back to Dallas are longer than one year, then they've got to be at most a little larger than Carroll's, and Carroll's got to be going to the other team.

To the board, would the other team consider these moves? Would Cuban think the guy coming back was good enough for the trade to be a better option than just cutting Stack and keeping the money himself? In some cases I think probably not, but if it fits the criteria I'm including it anyway.

Bobby Simmons - 1 year, ~10.6 owed; maybe something like Stack/George/Williams outgoing, or a Simmons/Najera package for Stack/Carroll/OYC (one-year contract filler).

Larry Hughes - 1 year, ~13.7 owed; unlikely, because Carroll would probably need to be included for salary matching, and I don't think NY would want his contract.

Q. Richardson - 1 year, ~9.4 owed; does NY even care about saving money next year? Isn't Dantoni supposed to like QR? Regardless, Stack/OYC

Tim Thomas - 1 year, ~6.5 owed; Stack straight up

Pietrus/Battie - Battie's an expiring, Pietrus has a few years left. A Stack/Carroll package would work salary-wise. Dallas takes on a bit of 2010 salary, Orlando saves money immediately so they can re-sign Hedo without incurring a tax hit.

Thomas or James and Songaila or Stevenson - again, one expiring, one guy who's comparable to Carroll, so the Stack/Carroll package gets dangled once more. Doesn't really impact the Wizards ability to be competitive and allows them to redistribute some funds, gives Dallas a couple guys who were rotation players at some point in their careers.

Antonio Daniels - 1 year, ~6.6 owed. Stack, straight up.

Mike Miller - 1 year, ~9.8 owed. Stack/OYC. If they really wanted to save immediate money you could always see if they'd bite on Miller/Cardinal for Stack/Carroll/OYC

Earl Watson - 1 year, ~6.6 owed. Stack, straight up.

Matt Harpring - 1 year, ~6.5 owed. Stack, straight up.
Old 06-14-2009, 11:30 PM   #1607
BGMaverick9
Guru

Quote:
Any ideas BG?
I think that idea for Stack/Carroll and 22 is a very good start. It might piss off the fans in Milwaukee but they're not right in the thick of it in the East and they've got a contract that might be really hard to move with Redd...they've gotta find a way to get some relief. I trust RJ more than I do Josh as a SG option. I think you can run that lineup out there
Kidd, RJ, Josh, Dirk and Damp

you could always try to buy a 1st rounder, maybe get creative with Jet in a trade and still have the MLE and BAE to get guys. The RJ deal is a pretty solid upgrade though.

I think if you do that, it lessens the impact you have to make with the MLE if you go with a guard...maybe you switch your attention to a big. But the middle of the pack guards definitely sound better if you already have a guy like RJ and didn't lose Josh.

Quote:
Originally Posted by grndmstr_c View Post

To the board, would the other team consider these moves? Would Cuban think the guy coming back was good enough for the trade to be a better option than just cutting Stack and keeping the money himself? In some cases I think probably not, but if it fits the criteria I'm including it anyway.
Simmons could be interesting...that's a name I've forgotten for a while
The Orlando deal we talked about could have some value but I really don't think they let a guy like Pietrus go b/c of what he showed off in the run. J.J. Redick from the Magic could be an option though if we want some more potential scoring but they'd maybe have to add more.

Daniels and Miller would be good options, but definitely underwhelming to some.

As a whole, I would consider those Tier 3 or below kind of players for the "big plan" with Stack. I'd still like to think Tier 2 or higher is still a possibility?

What about a trade exception? That's another outside the box idea...have no idea though if it's even worth it.
Old 06-14-2009, 11:46 PM   #1608
Dnowit41

Dnowit41 is a name known to allDnowit41 is a name known to allDnowit41 is a name known to allDnowit41 is a name known to allDnowit41 is a name known to allDnowit41 is a name known to allDnowit41 is a name known to allDnowit41 is a name known to allDnowit41 is a name known to allDnowit41 is a name known to allDnowit41 is a name known to all

Mavs eye pick No. 5?
The Mavericks are said to be interested in the fifth pick and the prospect of drafting Jordan Hill.

The teams have made nice in the past, most recently in the swap that secured Antawn Jamison in 2004. The Mavericks also were kind enough to relieve the Wizards of Juwan Howard in 2001.

The Mavericks apparently are willing to part with either Jason Terry or Josh Howard to sweeten a potential deal. The Mavericks would be obligated to accept an expiring contract of the Wizards, the one belonging to either Etan Thomas or Mike James. -- The Washington Times

A clear night in big D. Thousands of fans ready...anxiously awaiting his arrival.
The signal high in the Dallas sky calls for one person, and one person alone.........#41
Dnowit41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 12:15 AM   #1609
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirno2000 View Post
I guess I'd feel more comfortable if his statements were more along the lines of "I don't mind spending money if it will improve this team".

Again, I could be looking for something that's not there. I certainly hope that's the case.
thats just it, I'm fairly sure you're not reading into his comments...his love of "this team" has blinded that poor, rich, fool.

either that or we really need to start tapping the brakes on the whole, "we know Cuban wants to win" talk. Maybe he is secretly happy being the unhappy rich kid of the league.

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"
sike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 07:56 AM   #1610
mpb319

mpb319 is a jewel in the roughmpb319 is a jewel in the roughmpb319 is a jewel in the rough

I don't get all the VC & RJ love.
What do we want to be?
The 2005 Nets + Dirk?
I am not against the possibility of VC...but not both of them.
mpb319 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 08:47 AM   #1611
alby
Guru

alby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpb319 View Post
I don't get all the VC & RJ love.
What do we want to be?
The 2005 Nets + Dirk?
I am not against the possibility of VC...but not both of them.
uh... yes

Contact Me
Twitter: www.twitter.com/alnguyen84
Facebook: www.facebook.com/alnguyen84
alby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 10:10 AM   #1612
alby
Guru

alby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond repute

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1...trade-partners

The Lakers have won the 2009 NBA championship. Congrats.
The official end to the season has begun. Let the offseason begin.
The Dallas Mavericks are a team hot for trades and moves to restructure the roster for improvement next year.
I want to take a look right now at three potential trade partners who have been mentioned with the Mavericks.

1. Washington Wizards

The Wizards and Mavericks already have a trade history dating back to 2004. That year the two teams swapped the rights of Devin Harris and Jerry Stackhouse for Antawn Jamison.
The rumors swirling around say Dallas is willing to trade up to the No. 5 pick that Washington holds. The Mavs have an eye for Arizona's Jordan Hill apparently.
Reports also mentioned the idea Dallas was willing to include either Josh Howard or Jason Terry to improve a deal.

2. Charlotte Bobcats

There is talk of the Bobcats financial struggles and a possible search for contract unloading.
The name Emeka Okafor immediately hit the surface due to his five years remaining worth over $62 million.
Dallas and Charlotte have a very recent trade history. The Mavericks could offer the Cats the financial relief they urgently need with expiring contracts in Erick Dampier and perhaps Jerry Stackhouse.
Okafor would certainly sure the five spot for the Mavericks, who have lacked a prominent center for a extended period of time.
The question is will the Bobcats decide that's the best option for the franchise.

3. Golden State Warriors
Pure conjecture has mention the Warriors and Mavericks in an idea that involves both teams' draft selections in the first round.
The basis is the Mavericks would hope Jordan Hill falls to the Warriors at seven. Dallas would then wait and see whether or not Terrence Williams lands with them at 22.
The swap would include swingman Corey Maggette and his unfavorable contract. Dallas would give up their 22nd pick only while receiving the services of solid veteran Maggette and young power forward prospect Hill.

All are plausible ideas and thoughts. Draft day is coming up here, not too long. Trades are bound to happen and it's about time.

Contact Me
Old 06-15-2009, 10:21 AM   #1613
SMC0007
Guru

SMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
The thing with Stack is... We MUST exploit the crap out of his contract. Whatever deal including him that gets us the best is the one we have to do. The thing is, most of them are Stack/Player X For "Player Y"

Player X 90% (or so) of the time is Josh. So that means... What's the best thing we can get for JHo + Stack?

Some ideas are

Them for Shaq
Them for Vince Carter
Them for RJ/Ridnour
Them for Caron B/Mike James (And last I heard, they aren't interested in shopping Caron)

The best is either Shaq or Carter. I say Carter because he has more in the tank (about as old as Dirk) has experience with Kidd (Who will be the facilitator of our offense) and fixes one of, if not our biggest problems, being the 2 guard. (2 Biggest problems are SG and C, obviously). To me, fixing the SG spot with someone like Carter is rarer than fixing our Center issue. Just get Kaman, he's younger, German (I'm German, Dirk's German lol) and mainly is NOT BAD AT BASKETBALL (Unlike Damp)

The only problem with Josh + Stack for Carter is that it leaves us to improve at SF.

Back to Kaman... Can Shaq or Damp do this? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gmkzXWvUkEg

Forget about Josh being traded.

Besides all those trade ideas do very little for us aside from creating a NEW hole to fill. The idea is to add a SG then possibly a center without subtracting our very solid SF!

you just proofed how stupid you are - CRAZYBOY
SMC0007 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 10:22 AM   #1614
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
1. Washington Wizards

The Wizards and Mavericks already have a trade history dating back to 2004. That year the two teams swapped the rights of Devin Harris and Jerry Stackhouse for Antawn Jamison.
The rumors swirling around say Dallas is willing to trade up to the No. 5 pick that Washington holds. The Mavs have an eye for Arizona's Jordan Hill apparently.
Reports also mentioned the idea Dallas was willing to include either Josh Howard or Jason Terry to improve a deal.

Mark Cuban's response, according to DLord's article:

Quote:
"There's more than two to three NBA players, but there may only be two to three guys who have the potential to reach the All-Stars -- make that four, maybe. And then there'll be another 10 that can start maybe (depending on the quality of the team), and five who are roster guys. That doesn't even fill out one round.

We're not gonna give up starters to take risks, to pick up [draft pick] No. 5 or whatever, for the very reasons we just talked about: this isn't the Josh Howard draft where there were five, six, seven guys you think could immediately be impact players."

These days being a fan is a competition to see who can be the most upset when
your team loses. That proves you love winning more. That's how it works.

Last edited by Underdog; 06-15-2009 at 10:23 AM.
Underdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 10:26 AM   #1615
alby
Guru

I'm so glad the NBA season is finally over. Now, I can actually get back into it and be interested again.

Contact Me
Old 06-15-2009, 10:33 AM   #1616
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Flacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah, talking about trade scenarios that are never going to happen is so much more fun than watching playoff basketball

Old 06-15-2009, 10:35 AM   #1617
alby
Guru

It really has been. I watched the fourth quarter of game 3 and to be honest with you, WWF gets old.

Contact Me
Old 06-15-2009, 10:42 AM   #1618
SMC0007
Guru

SMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by alby View Post
It really has been. I watched the fourth quarter of game 3 and to be honest with you, WWF gets old.

Yeah I wasn't impressed with the finals. A lot of stupid calls on Howard combined with Kobes stupid face and facial expressions killed me. I couldn't stand to watch it all, just fast forwarded thru most of them watching the scores at the bottom hoping for a comeback.

I'm ready to see what if the MAvs do something. IT wouldn't surprise me if we rolled out a similar roster ;0.

Old 06-15-2009, 11:08 AM   #1619
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMC0007 View Post
IT wouldn't surprise me if we rolled out a similar roster ;0.
Honestly, I don't think I'll be watching very much Mavs basketball next season if we come back with the same roster...

(doing the same thing over & over again while expecting different results is the definition of insanity!)

Last edited by Underdog; 06-15-2009 at 11:20 AM. Reason: !!!
Old 06-15-2009, 11:12 AM   #1620
Nowitzki4President

Quote:
Forget about Josh being traded.

Besides all those trade ideas do very little for us aside from creating a NEW hole to fill. The idea is to add a SG then possibly a center without subtracting our very solid SF!
I like Josh and all, it's just... He chucks up way to many stupid shots. I'll never be able to trust him to be clutch at all. Though he did show a lot of heart during the Nuggs series.

I get what you're saying about filling one whole and creating another.

The thing is, if we acquire RJ by only getting rid of Stack, Carroll and a pick, then we already get a formidable SF in RJ. The Nets are rebuilding after the RJ/Kidd/Carter trio got them nowhere earlier this decade, so Josh would still be an attractive player to go after for them. We'd obviously be interested in Carter.

All I'm saying is if we already have RJ (Or some other formidable SF) through a trade, we should deal Josh + Something else for Carter. Anyone disagree?

Quote:
Old 06-15-2009, 11:34 AM   #1621
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

DevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underdog View Post
Honestly, I don't think I'll be watching very much Mavs basketball next season if we come back with the same roster...

(doing the same thing over & over again while expecting different results is the definition of insanity!)
Management has to at least do something with the Stackhouse contract.

DevinHarriswillstart is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 11:35 AM   #1622
SMC0007
Guru

Quote:

I agree. I hope that doesn't happen and I'm sure some move will be made and if it is a small one, you can expect Donnie and Mark to spin the living daylights out of it, as if it were one of the franchise best moves yet.

On the Insanity thing, while I agree on that too, that is totally not the definition http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/insanity

Old 06-15-2009, 11:37 AM   #1623
SMC0007
Guru

Quote:
I like Josh and all, it's just... He chucks up way to many stupid shots. I'll never be able to trust him to be clutch at all. Though he did show a lot of heart during the Nuggs series.

I get what you're saying about filling one whole and creating another.

The thing is, if we acquire RJ by only getting rid of Stack, Carroll and a pick, then we already get a formidable SF in RJ. The Nets are rebuilding after the RJ/Kidd/Carter trio got them nowhere earlier this decade, so Josh would still be an attractive player to go after for them. We'd obviously be interested in Carter.

All I'm saying is if we already have RJ (Or some other formidable SF) through a trade, we should deal Josh + Something else for Carter. Anyone disagree?

yeah ...I just don't see that many moves being made. I think if we get RJ then he will be our SG and I doubt they spend much more time this offseason on guard/wing moves.. I think they will focus on SG then Center. Assuming Kidd is resigned.

Old 06-15-2009, 12:06 PM   #1624
Nowitzki4President

Quote:
yeah ...I just don't see that many moves being made. I think if we get RJ then he will be our SG and I doubt they spend much more time this offseason on guard/wing moves.. I think they will focus on SG then Center. Assuming Kidd is resigned.
Once were done with an RJ move and we move to Center. We'd still have Terry, Damp and maybe a S & T w/ Bass.

Would the Suns bite on a Terry/Damp for Shaq?

Quote:
Old 06-15-2009, 12:30 PM   #1625
SMC0007
Guru

Idk, I hear Shaq and Cavs rumors...

Old 06-15-2009, 01:00 PM   #1626
Robillion
Golden Member

Robillion has a brilliant futureRobillion has a brilliant futureRobillion has a brilliant futureRobillion has a brilliant futureRobillion has a brilliant futureRobillion has a brilliant futureRobillion has a brilliant futureRobillion has a brilliant futureRobillion has a brilliant futureRobillion has a brilliant futureRobillion has a brilliant future

The reason why I would actually like to keep Howard this season is that it is a contract year for him. I actually expect All-Star lvl out of him if he is healthy. If we somehow landed Shaq or Kaman (preferably with damp's contract), and a better (no need for star.. just better defensive minded) 2 guard, then we will be set.

Last edited by Robillion; 06-15-2009 at 01:02 PM.
Robillion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 01:33 PM   #1627
MX425

MX425 is a name known to allMX425 is a name known to allMX425 is a name known to allMX425 is a name known to allMX425 is a name known to allMX425 is a name known to allMX425 is a name known to allMX425 is a name known to allMX425 is a name known to allMX425 is a name known to all

I guess the thing I see with Howard is if it is a contract year, what are the odds of keeping him next summer? Does he bolt for new scenery? Do we balk at spending money on J-Ho when we would like to land a player in the 2010 sweepstakes? IDK the answers, just wondering.
Old 06-15-2009, 01:49 PM   #1628
grndmstr_c
Diamond Member

grndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond repute

I agree with the sentiment that next year should be an up year for Josh. His contract status points to that being the case, and the turn around in his attitude toward the end of this last season points to that being the case.

And he will not be traded unless it's for a player who's on a level with the guys who'll be at top of the free agent class next summer.
Old 06-15-2009, 02:08 PM   #1629
mac222b
Diamond Member

mac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by MX425 View Post
I guess the thing I see with Howard is if it is a contract year, what are the odds of keeping him next summer? Does he bolt for new scenery? Do we balk at spending money on J-Ho when we would like to land a player in the 2010 sweepstakes? IDK the answers, just wondering.
We have an option on him- it's like 10 million. So he's playing for an extension, in essence.
mac222b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 02:27 PM   #1630
SMC0007
Guru

essence?

Old 06-15-2009, 02:37 PM   #1631
SMC0007
Guru

http://www.thetwomangame.com/

When Taking a Shot in the Dark, Aim Up
Posted by Rob Mahoney on June 15, 2009 under Commentary | Be the First to Comment

The Mavs have been linked to the Wizards and their number 5 pick in the draft for sometime now, with Jordan Hill’s name making the rounds. Most indications point to Hill being a solid basketball player, but he’s hardly bound for stardom; Hill’s strengths are matched by sizeable limitations, indicators that Hill may be a contributor on the next level but won’t sniff the glory his price tag suggests. If the Mavs can snag Hill for a combination of expiring deals, that’s spectacular. But with Washington poised to make a run at the playoffs with a healthy Gilbert Arenas and Brendan Haywood, how does that even seem like a remote possibility? Dumping the contracts of a player like Etan Thomas may seem like an attractive possibility, but does a pure salary dump really make any sense with the Wiz over the cap for the foreseeable future and almost certainly above the luxury tax line?

Don’t get me wrong, I understand the incentive from a financial perspective. For Abe Polin and the Wiz’s ownership, saving a dollar is saving a dollar. But does it really make sense to sell out the 5th pick for only the slightest of profit margins? Unless Josh Howard or Jason Terry are involved, a swap for the no. 5 just doesn’t seem to make much sense at all for Washington.

Beyond that, what sense does it even make for the Mavs? Hill will be able to play immediately, but he can’t be expected to be an especially effective starter. Playing alongside Dirk Nowitzki, Jason Kidd, Josh Howard, and Jason Terry would seem beneficial to any rookie, but we still can’t expect Hill to make a tremendous amount of noise during his rookie campaign. Maybe the thought process is that he doesn’t have to for the Mavs to be successful. I wouldn’t be too sure. If the Mavs move either Terry or Howard for Hill, it’s certainly a step down. If they move Erick Dampier for Hill, it’s likely a lateral move for the first year at best. The only exception would be a salary dump deal centered around Jerry Stackhouse, but that seems like an impossibility given the value of such a high pick (even in an off year). Jordan Hill isn’t the type of talent that’s worth setting the team back, especially during the later stages of Dirk, Kidd, and JET’s careers. He’s likely not going to turn into an otherworldly force that could justify that commitment and that sacrifice, and trading members of the current core for him would be a pretty big mistake.

All that said, what if Hill really isn’t the apple of the Mavs’ eye? What if, in a bit of pre-draft shenanigans, the Mavs are insistent upon raising a Jordan Hill smokescreen?

Blake Griffin will be off the board, and Ricky Rubio and Hasheem Thabeet could likely be as well. The Kings have been linked to Rubio, Jrue Holiday, Tyreke Evans, Brandon Jennings, Jonny Flynn, and Alf. So who exactly may be left at 5? Better players than Jordan Hill, that’s for damn sure.

Personally, I’d like the Mavs (supposing a trade up in the draft can actually be had) to take one of two players.

Photo by Harry How/Getty Images.

The first is James Harden. Harden is essentially what the Mavs crave in a shooting guard, but he’s way out of their league pick-wise. Harden’s a surefire top 5 pick in my eyes, combining a tenacious ability to score from long-range or around the basket with tough, physical defense and good size (6′5”, almost a 6′11” wingspan). He’s as close to NBA-ready as any prospect in the draft, especially those on the wings, and in my opinion he’d have a seamless plug-in into the starting lineup alongside Kidd and Josh Howard. He’s not lightning fast and he’s not oversized, but Harden’s style offensively and defensively and his size would make him an ideal candidate for a franchise 2-guard to succeed Terry.

Photo from BrandonJennings.net.

The second, and to me the more intriguing, is Brandon Jennings. It’s dubious as to whether or not Jennings will even be available at 5 (although the same is true of Harden, who has been linked to the Thunder and even the Grizzlies), but Jennings being gone at 4 means that one of the other top prospects (Rubio, Thabeet, Harden…not Griffin) would have to fall to the 5 spot. Good news, meet good news.

Jennings is a real deal, fast as hell point guard. He’s confident, he’s skilled, and he once rocked the high top fade. He’s bold (even brash) and clearly a willing risk-taker. Jennings could be exactly the type of athlete that could usher in a new era of Mavs’ success, and I’m not alone in thinking he’ll be something truly special. He’s got the bravado and the skills to bring some serious star power to the franchise, and it’s time the Mavs start planning for life after Kidd. Whether or not that life begins this summer or in summers to come is up to the Mavs and Jason to decide, but assuming he can’t keep playing forever, a realistic successor needs to be waiting in the wings. He has the potential to be one of the league’s best point guards, and a playing style that would make him a killer off the bench in the short-term. Others may see the risk in Jennings, but from the tape I’ve seen of him, he’s a sure thing. This guy could be absolutely stellar as a NBA point guard, and I can only hope the Mavs can leap up the draft to nab him.

With either Jennings or Harden likely available, the logic behind picking Jordan Hill doesn’t stick. If you want an instant contribution, Harden is the man. He’s a cure-all at the 2, bringing the shooting that Antoine Wright lacks, the defense missing from JET’s game, and the size Barea can never fully compensate for. If you want star power, Jennings has it in spades. His game is tremendous, he’ll sell jerseys, and he’ll be your point guard for the next decade. There’s plenty to like in either candidate, and plenty to prefer over Jordan Hill. Can Hill be productive in the NBA, and, can he even compete at the center position? The Mavs already have enough of a minutes problem at the 4 with Dirk and Brandon Bass, and if Hill doesn’t pan out as a good enough interior defender (the evidence, but statistical and anecdotal, doesn’t go in his favor), the Mavs are put in quite a pickle. It’s one thing if Hill is simply a Brandon Bass insurance policy, safeguarding the team from a compensation-less departure from Bass. But it’s another entirely if the Mavs plan on making Dirk, Bass, and Hill coexist peacefully in the minutes column and on the defensive end. Why take that chance when there are better prospects available? Why force Hill to play out of position when a natural 2-guard and the point guard of the future are right at your fingertips? The answer lies either in a smokescreen or under layers of psychosis in a Mavs front office deluded into false prophecies of Hill’s success alongside Dirk. Some of that success may be found, but at what cost?

Old 06-15-2009, 03:57 PM   #1632
mavs777
Diamond Member

mavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant future

Quote:

Josh + Stack for Carter

Third is just an idea.
LOL, no chance on second or third deal
mavs777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 05:26 PM   #1633
ShaggyDirk
Diamond Member

ShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond repute

I am with Underdog on this situation... I almost did it this season, but I caved during the playoffs. I probably watched 2 or 3 regular season games.
ShaggyDirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 05:37 PM   #1634
Underdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaggyDirk View Post
I am with Underdog on this situation... I almost did it this season, but I caved during the playoffs. I probably watched 2 or 3 regular season games.
I had to give this season a fair chance to see if the Kidd experiment was going to pay off... I think it did, to a certain degree - who would have predicted we'd advance to the 2nd round by beating San Antonio? (better than another 1st-round exit, no doubt!)

The real challenge now is for the front office to not only retain Kidd, but also put the right weapons [defenders/slashers/shooters/Shaq] around him & Dirk - otherwise we're back to square one (with very little time left on Dirk's contract...)

Last edited by Underdog; 06-15-2009 at 05:39 PM.
Old 06-15-2009, 06:20 PM   #1635
mac222b
Diamond Member

mac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond repute

Brandon Jennings?! Ickk. Starbury Syndrome. Only with less game.
mac222b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 06:58 PM   #1636
grndmstr_c
Diamond Member

The more I think about the possibility of the Mavs acquiring the Wizards' pick, the more I think it hinges on JET and whether that 4th potential all-star in the draft that Cuban had in mind falls to the 5th pick. A JET/#22 for James/Songaila/#5 or James/Stevenson/#5 swap would meet a lot of criteria for both teams. It'd save Washington a few million next year while at the same time giving them a player who (I think) they'd look at as someone who could help them secure home court advantage in the first round. For Dallas it'd trim their 2010 financial obligations, compensate them with some veteran depth, (presumably) give them a young player (Harden? Hill?) they'd see as both filling a positional need and as being the best available when he's chosen, and not cost them any of their desirable contracts (Stack/Damp/Josh). It'd be a reshuffling, and almost certainly not more than a lateral move for next season, but I can see why they'd do it.

Last edited by grndmstr_c; 06-15-2009 at 07:03 PM.
grndmstr_c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 07:11 PM   #1637
BGMaverick9
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by grndmstr_c View Post
The more I think about the possibility of the Mavs acquiring the Wizards' pick, the more I think it hinges on JET and whether that 4th potential all-star in the draft that Cuban had in mind falls to the 5th pick. A JET/#22 for James/Songaila/#5 or James/Stevenson/#5 swap would meet a lot of criteria for both teams. It'd save Washington a few million next year while at the same time giving them a player who (I think) they'd look at as someone who could help them secure home court advantage in the first round. For Dallas it'd trim their 2010 financial obligations, compensate them with some veteran depth, (presumably) give them a young player (Harden? Hill?) they'd see as both filling a positional need and as being the best available when he's chosen, and not cost them any of their desirable contracts (Stack/Damp/Josh). It'd be a reshuffling, and almost certainly not more than a lateral move for next season, but I can see why they'd do it.
To me...it HAS to be Harden. The guy seems like a natural fit for what we need. Hill seems like you're trying to get creative and go with even more potential. If we do this and get Hill, I think it's rolling the dice even more than it usually is with the draft. If Washington is willing to pick up the check on Jet and not ask for Stack...I'd be somewhat surprised. I believe they would have a lot of use for Jet, opposed to Josh so I can definitely see the interest. I think they'll try to move up if Harden makes it to 5, which is maybe 50/50. It just makes a lot of sense if they go with him. Like I said, it'd be surprising if they'd live with just Jet and not ask for Stack as well.

DLord's article is a wet blanket for sure, but I'm an optimist (which people seem to hate a lot now). Cuban's view is pretty stubborn and all or nothing, but if you can get it...then more power to you. I don't think we'll be completely quiet. Stack is the ultimate test, his contract is going to be valuable to teams (financially hurt or not), you've gotta find some sort of asset to get out of it...even if it's ones that grndmstr_c mentioned earlier. I don't think we'll avoid using the MLE, I would be shocked if we didn't. We still have #22 for now...maybe something drastically different. So we have pieces to use, we just have to strike successfully on them.

Last edited by BGMaverick9; 06-15-2009 at 07:12 PM.
BGMaverick9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 07:17 PM   #1638
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

DevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I had to give this season a fair chance to see if the Kidd experiment was going to pay off... I think it did, to a certain degree - who would have predicted we'd advance to the 2nd round by beating San Antonio? (better than another 1st-round exit, no doubt!)

The real challenge now is for the front office to not only retain Kidd, but also put the right weapons [defenders/slashers/shooters/Shaq] around him & Dirk - otherwise we're back to square one (with very little time left on Dirk's contract...)
But I mean, have we really regressed to just saying that the first or second round is fine now? I'm not all about winning a championship, but I am all about the team trying to improve player wise. The team as currently constructed, however, is not a championship team. They just simply are not.

I just hope this re-signing Kidd thing doesn't last all summer to divert focus on improving the team otherwise. Kidd's best asset is passing, so he needs players around him who aren't going to just sit around taking 18 foot jumpers all game long. Even Harris could have passed to those types of players...

DevinHarriswillstart is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 07:31 PM   #1639
grndmstr_c
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BGMaverick9 View Post
If Washington is willing to pick up the check on Jet and not ask for Stack...I'd be somewhat surprised. I believe they would have a lot of use for Jet, opposed to Josh so I can definitely see the interest.
Don't forget that JET's last year isn't fully guaranteed. Unless Washington is desperate to shed salary, I don't think JET's contract scares them off. If they are in need of larger immediate reductions, and you'd rather use Stack somewhere else, you could always see if they'd be open to expanding the deal to include Thomas and Carroll. That'd save them even more money immediately, and further reduce Dallas' 2010 obligations.

Agreed about Harden.
Old 06-15-2009, 07:44 PM   #1640
sefant77
Guru

sefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond repute

About VC:

Since Ratners Brooklyn plans are back alive and he plans to broke ground for the new arena in october i dont see them trading VC in a typical dumping trade.

They wanna give Lebron 2010 a nobrainer putting him in a straight up contender S5 (Harris-VC-James-Yi/Pick-Lopez), soon new arena and team, Jay-Z etc...

Bobcats also just took salary in the Lakers-deal, i doubt they are in give away mood.
sefant77 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bea > drew > erick, bea arthur could ball, bea arthur has balls, biedrins for the wins, boobsftw, damn bucksuckshot, flaco's purple nipples, mc pee pants?, oliwa?candy, ostertagtag?, tweetweet, who is this mcpants?