Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Everything Else > The Lounge

Old 09-23-2008, 02:56 PM   #1601
ty
Diamond Member

ty has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond repute

Who dareth bring back the Lost thread?

My new neighbor's name is Jacob.

This is his doormat:

"I still go through it in my head," Nowitzki said. "One of my last nights in Germany [last month], I was trying to go to sleep, but I couldn't. I was thinking about the free throw I missed [late in Game 3], about different situations that happened in that series. I'll never forget it. It's going to stay in my mind until we win it all."
ty is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-23-2008, 03:04 PM   #1602
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ty
Who dareth bring back the Lost thread?

My new neighbor's name is Jacob.

This is his doormat:

you're boned.

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"
sike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 03:05 PM   #1603
ty
Diamond Member

ty has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond repute

=[

"I still go through it in my head," Nowitzki said. "One of my last nights in Germany [last month], I was trying to go to sleep, but I couldn't. I was thinking about the free throw I missed [late in Game 3], about different situations that happened in that series. I'll never forget it. It's going to stay in my mind until we win it all."
Old 09-23-2008, 03:24 PM   #1604
u2sarajevo
moderately impressed

u2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond repute

Does his House mysteriously disappear and reappear elsewhere in the neighborhood?

If not, you are probably okay.
Old 09-23-2008, 03:25 PM   #1605
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute

"God loves ty just as He loved Jacob"

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"
Old 09-23-2008, 03:39 PM   #1606
ty
Diamond Member

He has a bunch of plants outside his door that make his place appear as if it's in the jungle.

Last edited by ty; 09-23-2008 at 03:39 PM.
Old 09-23-2008, 03:41 PM   #1607
sike
The Preacha

Quote:
Originally Posted by ty
He has a bunch of plants outside his door that make his place appear as if it's in the jungle.
You better watch this guy...keep your dead bodies away from him.

Old 09-23-2008, 03:41 PM   #1608
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Flacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by sike
You better watch this guy...keep your dead bodies away from him.
Where do you keep your dead bodies?
Old 09-23-2008, 03:42 PM   #1609
sike
The Preacha

uhhhh, under my bed like any normal person.

Old 09-23-2008, 05:59 PM   #1610
ty
Diamond Member

My smoke alarm went off at 3am the other day...

Old 09-23-2008, 09:23 PM   #1611
ShaggyDirk
Diamond Member

ShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond repute

haha
ShaggyDirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 11:28 PM   #1612
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Flacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond repute

First Official LOST promo:

http://spoilerslost.blogspot.com/200...-season-5.html

There's actually new footage there....very little, but it's there.
Old 10-22-2008, 11:32 PM   #1613
LonghornDub

LonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond repute

I think the first 3 or so episodes of this season will determine whether I keep watching. The show has definitely brought me back from jumping off the wagon permanently (i.e. around the middle of season 2), but I'm volatile enough about it that I could be sent to the edge very quickly.

I'm fairly confident that won't happen, though.

"Your'e a low-mentality drama gay queen!!" -- She_Growls
LonghornDub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 11:33 PM   #1614
sike
The Preacha

I remember at one point one of the characters said, "its not an island"...do you think they meant that metaphorically (as in not just some island) or literally?

Old 10-22-2008, 11:34 PM   #1615
sike
The Preacha

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonghornDub View Post
I think the first 3 or so episodes of this season will determine whether I keep watching. The show has definitely brought me back from jumping off the wagon permanently (i.e. around the middle of season 2), but I'm volatile enough about it that I could be sent to the edge very quickly.

I'm fairly confident that won't happen, though.
did you not watch last season? pure greatness.

Old 10-23-2008, 12:09 AM   #1616
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

It seems to me that the story in large part will be of the Oceanic 6 + Desmond + (maybe) frank + Ben trying to get back to the island...more specifically convincing certain people that going back is desirable. That much is certain.

The part I'm not so sure about, is the folks still on the island. Sawyer, Juliet, Miles, Charlotte, Faraday (I bet his little boat got transported with the island) Rose, Bernard....and Locke of course... what are they doing? Where did the island go? WHEN did the island go? Will we see Claire at all this season?

What do you the LOST fan think about the prospect of an entire season of LOST without sawyer + kate and/or Jack on screen at the same time? What if we don't see Ben on the island until 2010? Isn't that weird?
Old 10-23-2008, 12:12 AM   #1617
sike
The Preacha

I like Sawyer and Hurley...and Sawyer with Jack...

Heck, I like Sawyer with just about any main character.

Old 10-23-2008, 12:14 AM   #1618
LonghornDub

LonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by sike View Post
did you not watch last season? pure greatness.
That's what I'm saying. Last season brought me back from being an inch from abandoning the show forever. But I could easily go back that direction if this season doesn't open up strong.

Old 10-23-2008, 12:19 AM   #1619
sike
The Preacha

Thats right...you're a hot and cold fan. I remember now!

I always like you less during LOST season.

Old 10-23-2008, 12:22 AM   #1620
LonghornDub

Quote:
Thats right...you're a hot and cold fan. I remember now!

I always like you less during LOST season.
I just burn up goodwill really fast when it comes to TV shows, and it's hard to get it back. I think Lost is a pretty damn good show now, but it sucked so much for awhile there (to me, at least), and that's always in the back of my mind.

I think I'm just a pessimist. As long as it stays near the threshold of quality it set last season, I'll be just fine. There were some great, great moments and episodes.

Old 10-23-2008, 12:29 AM   #1621
sike
The Preacha

But what if Sylar makes a guest appearance?

Last edited by sike; 10-23-2008 at 12:29 AM. Reason: ;)
Old 10-23-2008, 12:58 AM   #1622
LonghornDub

Quote:
But what if Sylar makes a guest appearance?
Then I'll be utterly confused, because I don't watch Heroes.

Old 10-23-2008, 02:19 AM   #1623
alby
Guru

alby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond repute

There is nothing that is close to the greatness that is LOST on television.

Contact Me
Twitter: www.twitter.com/alnguyen84
Facebook: www.facebook.com/alnguyen84
alby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 09:03 AM   #1624
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

edit: Oh, and if you consider analyzing a 30 second trailer that ABC put out to be a spoiler, you shouldn't read this post. Or you should just stop being such a prude, either way is fine.

Looking at the screen caps from this trailer (yes I'm having a very busy morning)

-People standing on the beach...just people...no camp

-Daniel approaching someone coming out of a door (looks like the Swan station) wearing a yellow suit and brandishing a gun at him

-Juliet digging up something that looks like a (or "the") hatch

-Yemis plane is shown

Are they teasing us, or are these obvious signs that the island...or the people there traveled back in time? And if the island "moved" in time, wouldn't it still be in the same geographic location? I'm not making any sense.

Last edited by Flacolaco; 10-23-2008 at 09:04 AM.
Flacolaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 09:20 AM   #1625
u2sarajevo
moderately impressed

u2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond repute

I cannot believe you wouldn't spoiler font that. I hate you.
Old 10-23-2008, 10:23 AM   #1626
alexamenos
Diamond Member

alexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond repute

How much longer?
Old 10-23-2008, 11:10 AM   #1627
ty
Diamond Member

Early 2009 TBD. =[

Old 10-23-2008, 11:19 AM   #1628
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

See..this just proves that my problems with Heroes are not solely the long lay off. Because my Lost pants (and everything inside them) were dancing a jig during that promo.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com
jthig32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 11:45 AM   #1629
alby
Guru

alby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond repute

The wait is worth it.

Contact Me
Twitter: www.twitter.com/alnguyen84
Facebook: www.facebook.com/alnguyen84
alby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 11:56 AM   #1630
ty
Diamond Member

Sawyer is such a stud...CRAP.

Old 10-23-2008, 02:14 PM   #1631
sike
The Preacha

Quote:
Originally Posted by ty View Post
Sawyer is such a stud...CRAP.
Ty and Sawyer sitting in a tree....

Old 10-23-2008, 02:42 PM   #1632
LonghornDub

Quote:
Originally Posted by alby View Post
There is nothing that is close to the greatness that is LOST on television.
I'll have to disagree with this. Not only do I think a least a handful of shows are "close," at least one show I personally find to be consistently better.

No offense to Lost, of course. I agree that it's definitely toward the top.

Last edited by LonghornDub; 10-23-2008 at 02:47 PM.
Old 10-23-2008, 02:47 PM   #1633
sike
The Preacha

Quote:
one show I actually find to be consistently better.
which one might that be? (Preparing to accuse you of terrible judgment)

Old 10-23-2008, 02:48 PM   #1634
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Quote:
I'll have to disagree with this. Not only do I think a least a handful of shows are "close," at least one show I actually find to be consistently better.

No offense to Lost.
If you say that House is better than LOST, I am going to find you, and watch you die as you slowly choke on my LOST season 1 dvd set.

I'm going to ban myself for personally attacking you now
Old 10-23-2008, 02:49 PM   #1635
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Quote:
which one might that be? (Preparing to accuse you of terrible judgment)
It's House, he's going to say House. Which is a cute little quaint show, but LOST it is not.
Old 10-23-2008, 02:54 PM   #1636
LonghornDub

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flacolaco View Post
It's House, he's going to say House. Which is a cute little quaint show, but LOST it is not.
Please.

Yes, House, and for me it's by a fairly significant margin. Lost is certainly far more ambitious and epic, but execution-wise House wins. It's better written, better acted (only Emerson and maybe O'Quinn approach the quality of the regulars on House), and generally more cohesive.

Just my opinion. And regardless of whether you think Lost is the best show on TV, I certainly don't think it's fair to say that "nothing comes close."

Last edited by LonghornDub; 10-23-2008 at 02:55 PM.
Old 10-23-2008, 02:59 PM   #1637
sike
The Preacha

I've only seen House a couple times...isn't it fairly formulaic??? "Someone is going to die....but House saves the day?"

Old 10-23-2008, 03:10 PM   #1638
LonghornDub

Quote:
I've only seen House a couple times...isn't it fairly formulaic??? "Someone is going to die....but House saves the day?"
That's actually part of the reason why I have so much respect for it. It uses single-episode story arcs that fit a formula, but it rarely feels old or repetitive. The writers do a really good job keeping it fresh. It's a very difficult thing to do.

I'm really not bagging on Lost at all. I think they've done a phenomenal job. One reason I prefer a show like House, though, is that the Lost writers can basically just make up whatever they want and it's "cool" because we're all trying to figure out what's going on. It's all part of the mystery, you know?

The degree of difficulty on writing a show like that is not nearly as high as writing a show where everything has to make sense. Lost gets style points for when things DONT make sense, but, frankly, any one of us are fully capable of writing a storyline like that. Seriously, if you sat down me, you, Flaco, and thiggy in a room, we could conjure up a crazy story about an island that people would find interesting as long as we kept it mysterious. There would be no parameters. Anything we say is "the rules" of the story universe.

Lost obviously wins in terms of technical achievement, but as far as story structure (which I'm more inclined to notice) goes, I'm more impressed by the dynamism of House given the relatively restricted formula they're working with.

Again, I think Lost is great. As far as I'm concerned, it's the second best show on TV. I don't expect to change anyone's mind, either!

Last edited by LonghornDub; 10-23-2008 at 03:15 PM.
Old 10-23-2008, 03:11 PM   #1639
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

Man..I love House...but it's a dramedy. Without the singular character it wouldn't even be watchable.

I can't even fathom comparing the two.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com

Last edited by jthig32; 10-23-2008 at 03:12 PM.
jthig32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 03:13 PM   #1640
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Quote:
Originally Posted by jthig32 View Post
Man..I love House...but it's a dramedy. Without the singular character it wouldn't even be watchable, beacuse the plots are crap. Granted it's not a plot driven show, but still.

I can't even fathom comparing the two.
I'm Flaco and I approve this message. I love House as well, my wife got me into it, but Dr House beats me down some times. I think it's impressive that the guy is really British and he suppresses his accent, but he only has one mode: sarcastic and cranky. It's funny, but it wears on me.