Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Everything Else > The Lounge

Old 10-23-2008, 03:17 PM   #1641
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

See, the House character is why I watch. I find the plots from week to week repetitious, and wearing at time. But, when House branches out, it's really great. The episode in season one where you find out about House's leg is was really, really good. And of course the last two episodes last season.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com
jthig32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-23-2008, 03:22 PM   #1642
LonghornDub

LonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by jthig32 View Post
Man..I love House...but it's a dramedy. Without the singular character it wouldn't even be watchable.

I can't even fathom comparing the two.
I'd say I'm probably not willing to compare a full-out comedy (i.e. South Park or something) to a show like Lost, but I'll definitely compare a "dramady." The core structure of House is dramatic-based, not comedy-based, so I think it can be fairly compared with Lost. The comedy comes more on the surface level with the dialogue and what not--it's not like a sitcom where the entire story is based upon zany situations and mishaps.

"Your'e a low-mentality drama gay queen!!" -- She_Growls
LonghornDub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 03:24 PM   #1643
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

I agree, but I still wouldn't compare the two.

Maybe it's just what I like more in television. To me, a great serial drama is always going to be more enjoyable than a great episodic show.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com
Old 10-23-2008, 03:28 PM   #1644
LonghornDub

LonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I agree, but I still wouldn't compare the two.

Maybe it's just what I like more in television. To me, a great serial drama is always going to be more enjoyable than a great episodic show.
Well, to be fair, it's not like House doesn't have any "serial" story arcs that span multiple episodes. I prefer a nice balance of stories that "wrap up" each week and stories that take a quarter-season/half-season/full-season to wrap up. That's probably why I like the show so much.

Lost is so dominated by the massive story arcs that span not only entire seasons, but multiple seasons, that sometimes it seems to drag on. They try to throw in storylines that wrap up more quickly, and sometimes it's a hit, but sometimes it's just filler that becomes necessary when they can't progress the main story (the one that's spanning the course of the entire series) enough in one episode.

I think you're right though, it's all just personal preference. One thing I really, really like about Lost is the tone and the ambiance. The best episode of House ever (IMO), the first part of the 2-parter from last season's season finale, had a very "Lost-esque" tone. The entire episode took place at night--a very subtle, though effective, move.

Last edited by LonghornDub; 10-23-2008 at 03:29 PM.
Old 10-23-2008, 03:35 PM   #1645
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

Every scripted show is serialized in some way, however small. Yes, House does have some good serialized story lines, and not coincidentally, when they take up more of the story is when I tend to enjoy the show more. I really enjoyed the detective coming after him, for example

I prefer long arcing, slow paced serialized dramas. The Wire is the defining show of that genre.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
Old 10-23-2008, 03:40 PM   #1646
LonghornDub

Sike/Flaco never came after my jugular for my comments. I wonder if they're just biding their time and preparing some sort of joint attack?

Old 10-23-2008, 03:47 PM   #1647
Kirobaito
Platinum Member

Kirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant future

The second and third seasons of Beast Wars had the perfect mix of episodic structure and serial arcs. There, I said it.

Last edited by Kirobaito; 10-23-2008 at 03:47 PM.
Kirobaito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 12:05 AM   #1648
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Flacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond repute

Season 4 DVD extra:

laugh out loud at Damon Lindelof and his views on reincarnation, and "the person in the coffin"

http://dvdlost.blogspot.com/2008/10/...carnation.html
Old 10-28-2008, 09:32 AM   #1649
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonghornDub View Post
Sike/Flaco never came after my jugular for my comments. I wonder if they're just biding their time and preparing some sort of joint attack?
maybe we just don't weigh your opinions enough to care...

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"

Last edited by sike; 10-28-2008 at 09:33 AM.
sike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 09:33 AM   #1650
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirobaito View Post
The second and third seasons of Beast Wars had the perfect mix of episodic structure and serial arcs. There, I said it.
and you said it in the LOST thread.

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"
Old 10-28-2008, 09:35 AM   #1651
sike
The Preacha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flacolaco View Post
Season 4 DVD extra:

laugh out loud at Damon Lindelof and his views on reincarnation, and "the person in the coffin"

http://dvdlost.blogspot.com/2008/10/...carnation.html
freaking hilarious

Old 11-07-2008, 01:17 PM   #1652
mary
Troll Hunter

mary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond repute

Family Guy Lost reference.

"I don't know what went wrong," said guard Thabo Sefolosha. "It's hard to talk about it."
mary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 01:28 PM   #1653
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Flacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond repute

Ha. Yeah, I saw that.

Surely on a show as ridiculous and far fetched and crazy as LOST, they could find more fertile comedic ground than that...but even if they did, you can't bring down LOST, Mr. McFarlane. No, sir.
Old 11-07-2008, 06:05 PM   #1654
LonghornDub

That's so true about Matthew Fox. Good stuff there.

I'm starting to kind of look forward to the show starting up again. I just can't seem to get into most of the stuff that's on TV right now.

Old 11-08-2008, 03:01 PM   #1655
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Check it out...

http://hollywoodinsider.ew.com/2008/...+premiere+date

January 21st, with TWO new episodes on the same night. Not one hour recap and one hour new....1 hour recap, and 2 hours new.

But...why blow two of 17 hours on the same night. I think I'd be just as happy or happier with 16 weeks of LOST instead of 15, since I assume the end of the season will be two hours back to back.

edit: btw, that's about 10 and a half weeks.

Last edited by Flacolaco; 11-08-2008 at 03:03 PM.
Flacolaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2008, 03:40 AM   #1656
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Not sure if I've mentioned this, but I've committed to a LOST re-watch recently. 42 minutes a night whenever I can swing it. I'm most of the way through season 1 now. I'm hitting episodes I consider to be mythologically important all the way up until Jan 21st.

Re-watching season 1 is a freaking blast, by the way. ALL of this stuff is going to come up again. It is obvious from the season 5 trailers that the people left on the island are going to be going back in time, or at least skipping around... I recommend a reviewing of the details.
Old 11-30-2008, 08:29 AM   #1657
Kirobaito
Platinum Member

Kirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant future

Quote:
Not sure if I've mentioned this, but I've committed to a LOST re-watch recently. 42 minutes a night whenever I can swing it. I'm most of the way through season 1 now. I'm hitting episodes I consider to be mythologically important all the way up until Jan 21st.

Re-watching season 1 is a freaking blast, by the way. ALL of this stuff is going to come up again. It is obvious from the season 5 trailers that the people left on the island are going to be going back in time, or at least skipping around... I recommend a reviewing of the details.
I rewatched seasons 1-3 this summer while living in Waco by myself, and it was a total blast watching all the old episodes. I'd like to do it again before season 5, but I don't think I have time. It'll probably just be season 4.
Old 11-30-2008, 12:06 PM   #1658
alby
Guru

alby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond repute

January 21st!!!

Contact Me
Twitter: www.twitter.com/alnguyen84
Facebook: www.facebook.com/alnguyen84
alby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 03:30 PM   #1659
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Old 12-01-2008, 04:08 PM   #1660
ty
Diamond Member

ty has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

But...why blow two of 17 hours on the same night. I think I'd be just as happy or happier with 16 weeks of LOST instead of 15, since I assume the end of the season will be two hours back to back.
I would do 17 in a night...er, day.

"I still go through it in my head," Nowitzki said. "One of my last nights in Germany [last month], I was trying to go to sleep, but I couldn't. I was thinking about the free throw I missed [late in Game 3], about different situations that happened in that series. I'll never forget it. It's going to stay in my mind until we win it all."
ty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 05:21 PM   #1661
u2sarajevo
moderately impressed

u2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond repute

So.... from that picture it appears that Jin is indeed pushing daisies?

That is so sad. I was hoping that was him swimming away from the boat.
Old 12-01-2008, 05:22 PM   #1662
u2sarajevo
moderately impressed

u2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond repute

And, if I remember correctly, don't they all have to go back together? How would you get Desmond to agree to that?
Old 12-01-2008, 05:23 PM   #1663
ty
Diamond Member

ty has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by u2sarajevo View Post
So.... from that picture it appears that Jin is indeed pushing daisies?

That is so sad. I was hoping that was him swimming away from the boat.
Don't be a sucker

They're toying with our minds!

"I still go through it in my head," Nowitzki said. "One of my last nights in Germany [last month], I was trying to go to sleep, but I couldn't. I was thinking about the free throw I missed [late in Game 3], about different situations that happened in that series. I'll never forget it. It's going to stay in my mind until we win it all."
Old 12-01-2008, 05:24 PM   #1664
ty
Diamond Member

Quote:
And, if I remember correctly, don't they all have to go back together? How would you get Desmond to agree to that?
Bring Penny =P

Old 12-01-2008, 05:27 PM   #1665
u2sarajevo
moderately impressed

Quote:
Originally Posted by ty View Post
Bring Penny =P
True.... because from the previews it appears that Aaron is going to be accompanying them as well. And by doing so, perhaps they achieve removing themselves from her fathers evil influence?
Old 12-01-2008, 05:28 PM   #1666
LonghornDub

The new Lost commercial they are running has gotten me slightly hyped.

Old 12-01-2008, 05:54 PM   #1667
ty
Diamond Member

Quote:
True.... because from the previews it appears that Aaron is going to be accompanying them as well. And by doing so, perhaps they achieve removing themselves from her fathers evil influence?
I'm still waiting for the significance of that kid.

Old 12-01-2008, 06:03 PM   #1668
u2sarajevo
moderately impressed

Claire's not dead. But she's not in that picture either. So maybe that's not the case regarding Jin.

The "psychic" told her she had to raise him or he'd be evil (ad libbing here) so who knows what's going to happen with that child.
Old 12-01-2008, 06:23 PM   #1669
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

They've publicly stated that Claire would not be a series regular this season. But she probably would next season. So where she's going to pop up and when, I have no idea.

And regarding Jinn...who knows for sure?

I was up late on Saturday and they replay LOST on NBC of all places. The guide description said "Jim and Michael put the finishing touches on the raft..."

I wasn't quite sure who Jim was
Old 12-01-2008, 06:32 PM   #1670
u2sarajevo
moderately impressed

I bet it was a Ticket fan that entered that and you misread it... it actually said "Jim - JIM!"
Old 12-01-2008, 06:46 PM   #1671
ty
Diamond Member

AARON = JACOB

Old 12-02-2008, 07:45 PM   #1672
Big Boy Laroux
Diamond Member

Big Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond repute

U2, if jin was alive, they certainly wouldn't spoiler it in a promo picture.
Old 12-08-2008, 01:22 AM   #1673
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

One of the commericals I saw on ABC tonight had a scene with Ethan pointing a rifle at locke. Ethan. Freaking Ethan. Also, Yemi's plane (up in the tree before it fell)

And someone coming out of the Swan pointing a gun at Faraday dressed in the yellow radiation suit like Kelvin.

I know it's not a popular thing to do around here (make conjectures about the future of the show which are most likely true) but is there any doubt in anyone's mind that the people left on the island are going to be going back in time?

Jan 21st cannot possibly get here soon enough.
Old 12-08-2008, 02:26 AM   #1674
ty
Diamond Member

^ Who is Kelvin?

Old 12-08-2008, 08:22 AM   #1675
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ty View Post
^ Who is Kelvin?
The guy that was in the station with Desmond. Desmond killed him the day he discovered the oustide was not contaminated.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
Old 12-08-2008, 10:42 AM   #1676
Kirobaito
Platinum Member

Quote:
The guy that was in the station with Desmond. Desmond killed him the day he discovered the oustide was not contaminated.
Also an American leader in Iraq during one of Sayid's flashbacks.
Old 12-08-2008, 10:47 AM   #1677
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

This is why I am trying to devote 42 minutes a night to rewatch before the season starts. There's so much detail that gets forgotten, and I have a feeling that I'm going to want to know some things for season 5.
Old 12-08-2008, 12:07 PM   #1678
alby
Guru

alby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond repute

A part of me actually wants to be surprised when I remember things as the season goes on. Once Lost is officially over, THEN I'll rewatch the entire thing in it's wonderful glory.

6 more weeks...

Contact Me
Twitter: www.twitter.com/alnguyen84
Facebook: www.facebook.com/alnguyen84
alby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 01:15 PM   #1679
Big Boy Laroux
Diamond Member

Big Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond repute

If you guys want to rewatch previous seasons, and don't already own them on DVD, check out this deal at Amazon!

Seasons 1-3 for $58.99 total! I'd jump on it, but i already won those 3 seasons.

http://www.amazon.com/Lost-Complete-...8760051&sr=1-1

Last edited by Big Boy Laroux; 12-08-2008 at 01:15 PM.
Big Boy Laroux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008, 03:00 PM   #1680
ty
Diamond Member

Interesting video from Comic-Con
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XCVCz...eature=related

SPOILER WARNING:

Sneak Peak Jack
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BmYHHdPq6EQ

Sneak Peak Kate
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U2kjlOG1yRo

Enjoy.

Last edited by ty; 12-16-2008 at 03:58 PM. Reason: spoiler