Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 07-07-2013, 12:06 AM   #1681
yahyes
Banned

yahyes has much to be proud ofyahyes has much to be proud ofyahyes has much to be proud ofyahyes has much to be proud ofyahyes has much to be proud ofyahyes has much to be proud ofyahyes has much to be proud ofyahyes has much to be proud ofyahyes has much to be proud ofyahyes has much to be proud ofyahyes has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamofthefaith View Post
Don't forget about Josh Howard and Keith Van Horn

Get 1 or 2 more of these guys. Call it the reunion squad.

Last edited by yahyes; 07-07-2013 at 12:06 AM.
yahyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-07-2013, 12:12 AM   #1682
moogle

moogle is a name known to allmoogle is a name known to allmoogle is a name known to allmoogle is a name known to allmoogle is a name known to allmoogle is a name known to allmoogle is a name known to allmoogle is a name known to allmoogle is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eman View Post
Calderon and Harris are both better scorers than Marion
I was just going by their stats from last year, and Marion outscored both of them. Regardless, I don't think any of those 3 should be considered "scorers" to begin with.

We need someone other than Dirk to score more than 12 ppg.
moogle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 12:31 AM   #1683
spreedom
Diamond Member

spreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by moogle View Post
The Mavs desperately need a 2nd scorer right now. O.J. is gone. If we go into the season with Shawn Marion as our second leading scorer... we're screwed.
I definitely agree that we need another go-to scorer, but I don't like Ellis as the solution unless he can be had for the MLE after we fill out our roster with the rest of our cap space, and if he's willing to accept a bench role.

I think our best best at this point is to look at getting a post scorer. Doesn't have to be a very dynamic guy that's a max-level player or anything, but we could really use a guy that can score around the basket. Pekovic seems like the best option here in that regard, but I worry about how he'll fit next to Dirk, being that he isn't really a mobile, shot-blocking type of defender. JJ Hickson is another potential option, as he scores extremely well around the rim and did a great job rebounding last year. He is a weak defender, too. Same issues with Andray Blatche.

Gortat still looks like a pretty good target here, depending what we all agree is the highest priority. All of this aside, I'm still really hoping for Asik.
spreedom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 12:44 AM   #1684
ribosoma
Golden Member

ribosoma has a reputation beyond reputeribosoma has a reputation beyond reputeribosoma has a reputation beyond reputeribosoma has a reputation beyond reputeribosoma has a reputation beyond reputeribosoma has a reputation beyond reputeribosoma has a reputation beyond reputeribosoma has a reputation beyond reputeribosoma has a reputation beyond reputeribosoma has a reputation beyond reputeribosoma has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I was just going by their stats from last year, and Marion outscored both of them. Regardless, I don't think any of those 3 should be considered "scorers" to begin with.

We need someone other than Dirk to score more than 12 ppg.
Having versatility at PG should make good shots come easier. I would expect for Calderon and Devin's numbers to go up due to the system they will be running and what will be asked of them by Carlisle. With better perimeter shooting and better pick-and-roll facilitators, there should be plenty of points to go around. Defenders can't just sag back on the pick-and-roll anymore. The Mavs finally have guards that will make the opposition play honest.

If they could add some post scoring, I would really like the spacing on the team. As of right now, unless there's dribble penetration, defensive rotations could have less distance to travel to contest jumpshots, and that worries me a bit. That said, this is shaping up as a team that can move the ball really well.

Bynum scares the hell out of me. His talent, when healthy, is without question. His ability to get nasty in the paint is a dying art. But his lack of mobility could mean a layup line on the defensive end against the high screen and roll. And whatever cap figure he absorbs with a contract will be dead money as soon as his nonexistent knees take half a season off. And the only thing that scares me more than that apocalyptic scenario is the thought of Jermaine O'Neal being the starting center. Please, God, no. Please. No.
ribosoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 01:04 AM   #1685
Melonhead
Guru

Melonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond repute

TM says we have 8 mil left and can offer bynum up to 4/33.5.

Just do it as long as the language in the contract benefits the mavs.

Sucks mavs/clips couldn't come to a deal on a sign and trade. Collision took the mle.
Old 07-07-2013, 07:22 AM   #1686
DGM
Banned

DGM is just really niceDGM is just really niceDGM is just really niceDGM is just really niceDGM is just really niceDGM is just really nice

Please explain.
DGM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 07:33 AM   #1687
oilfieldtrash
Golden Member

oilfieldtrash is a glorious beacon of lightoilfieldtrash is a glorious beacon of lightoilfieldtrash is a glorious beacon of lightoilfieldtrash is a glorious beacon of lightoilfieldtrash is a glorious beacon of lightoilfieldtrash is a glorious beacon of lightoilfieldtrash is a glorious beacon of lightoilfieldtrash is a glorious beacon of light

Btw told you guys Collison would be lucky to get signed at all this year although you all claimed he was a good player. lol. Dont worry though I'll stick around and share some basketball knowledge with you guys even though it's falling on deaf ears.
oilfieldtrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 08:22 AM   #1688
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Salary Cap Situation (estimate)
  • $22.7M - Dirk
  • $9.3M - Marion
  • $6.5M - Calderon
  • $3.2M - Vince
  • $2.5M - Harris
  • $1.3M - Larkin
  • $0.8M - Crowder
  • $0.8M - James
  • $0.8M - Akognon
  • $0.9M - Brandan Wright (Cap Hold)
  • $4.0M - Elton Brand (Cap Hold)
Total: $52.8M for 11 players
Brand's cap hold is more like 19Mil, not 4Mil. He's an auto-renounce, no reason to even discuss.

You forgot about cap holds, and you forgot about Mekel, who counts the same as a cap hold.

With my numbers, which are exact based on published numbers except for the numbers for Caldron and Harris, (which aren't available but which can be figured out pretty precisely if you assume a standard contract), the Mavs have 11 players under contract and have $50,400,000.00 in committed salary. That leaves ~8.1 Mil to spend if a 58.5 cap is reality.

They can free up roster spots and a small amount of room by waiving James and Akognon, who are both non-guaranteed. That would free up and extra ~600K in cap room.

They can also pay someone 5.4 total over two years with the room exception.

There's also an assumption that they had a method to free up more space to sign Howard if he chose us, and there's a chance they could still execute that method or some other one. Unloading Marion shouldn't be too difficult should they decide they need to. Moving Marion for no salary in return would leave them almost 17Mil in cap space, although bringing back a smaller salary in a Marion trade is more likely than bringing back no salary.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com

Last edited by jthig32; 07-07-2013 at 08:30 AM.
jthig32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 08:24 AM   #1689
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilfieldtrash View Post
Btw told you guys Collison would be lucky to get signed at all this year although you all claimed he was a good player. lol. Dont worry though I'll stick around and share some basketball knowledge with you guys even though it's falling on deaf ears.
He signed to be the backup PG and play in the regular rotation of one of the best teams in basketball. He's not even close to a fringe NBA player.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com
Old 07-07-2013, 08:29 AM   #1690
spreedom
Diamond Member

spreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
He took a huge pay cut to back up the best PG in basketball. He also has a player option, which means he'll be back on the market next year.

Somehow "lucky to be signed at all this year" is the same as "signed before the moratorium ends" I guess? You're a useless troll.
Old 07-07-2013, 08:30 AM   #1691
spreedom
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jthig32 View Post
Brand's cap hold is more like 19Mil, not 4Mil. He's an auto-renounce, no reason to even discuss.

You forgot about cap holds, and you forgot about Mekel, who counts the same as a cap hold.

With my numbers, which are exact based on published numbers except for the numbers for Caldron and Harris, (which aren't available but which can be figured out pretty precisely if you assume a standard contract), the Mavs have 11 players under contract and have $50,400,000.00 in committed salary. That leaves ~8.1 Mil to spend if a 58.5 cap is reality.

They can free up roster spots and a small amount of room by waiving James and Akognon, who are both non-guaranteed. That would free up and extra ~600K in cap room.

There's also an assumption that they had a method to free up more space to sign Howard if he chose us, and there's a chance they could still execute that method or some other one. Unloading Marion shouldn't be too difficult should they decide they need to. Moving Marion for no salary in return would leave them almost 17Mil in cap space, although bringing back a smaller salary in a Marion trade is more likely than bringing back no salary.
All good insight. I'd be equally surprised if Sarge was waived and Akognon was kept.
Old 07-07-2013, 08:32 AM   #1692
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by spreedom View Post
All good insight. I'd be equally surprised if Sarge was waived and Akognon was kept.
I agree on James. On Akog, I don't think they'd shed any tears if they had to waive him, but it gives them so little extra room that I'm not sure it's all the likely either.

In fact, I think they're more likely to need his roster space than his cap space.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
Old 07-07-2013, 08:38 AM   #1693
oilfieldtrash
Golden Member

oilfieldtrash is a glorious beacon of lightoilfieldtrash is a glorious beacon of lightoilfieldtrash is a glorious beacon of lightoilfieldtrash is a glorious beacon of lightoilfieldtrash is a glorious beacon of lightoilfieldtrash is a glorious beacon of lightoilfieldtrash is a glorious beacon of lightoilfieldtrash is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
He signed to be the backup PG and play in the regular rotation of one of the best teams in basketball. He's not even close to a fringe NBA player.
He signed a make good minimum contract. End of story. Qualify it whatever way it makes you feel better.

And yes he's a fringe nba player. With new talent coming in every year teams are unlikely to take a flyer on a veteran that requires more salary over a rookie with upside. Especially considering what a garbage game the guy has. If he does opt out it will be for a longer veteran minimum contact and not a penny more.
Old 07-07-2013, 08:41 AM   #1694
oilfieldtrash
Golden Member

Quote:
He took a huge pay cut to back up the best PG in basketball. He also has a player option, which means he'll be back on the market next year.

Somehow "lucky to be signed at all this year" is the same as "signed before the moratorium ends" I guess? You're a useless troll.
I'm not even having a basketball discussion with a fool such as yourself. You're welcome to read the basketball knowledge I drop in here and maybe learn something along the way but I don't consider you worthy of a serious dialogue. What was the contract you wanted to give Collison? 5 mil a year? lol.
Old 07-07-2013, 08:46 AM   #1695
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

Quote:
He signed a make good minimum contract. End of story. Qualify it whatever way it makes you feel better.

And yes he's a fringe nba player. With new talent coming in every year teams are unlikely to take a flyer on a veteran that requires more salary over a rookie with upside. Especially considering what a garbage game the guy has. If he does opt out it will be for a longer veteran minimum contact and not a penny more.
Well, here's what I'll qualify it with:

1. It's not a make good. He has one year guaranteed and a player option for the next year. Please understand, that player option is a benefit to the *player*, not the team.

2. It's not a minimum contract. It's 1.9 Mil guaranteed, which the Clippers dipped into their MLE to use.

So other than the nature and value of his contract, you got everything right. And by that, I of course mean you got nothing right.

Please, sir, continue to share your incredible insight with us.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
Old 07-07-2013, 08:46 AM   #1696
Wang Zhi Zhi

Wang Zhi Zhi is a name known to allWang Zhi Zhi is a name known to allWang Zhi Zhi is a name known to allWang Zhi Zhi is a name known to allWang Zhi Zhi is a name known to allWang Zhi Zhi is a name known to allWang Zhi Zhi is a name known to allWang Zhi Zhi is a name known to all

"They can also pay someone 5.4 total over two years with the room exception."

So this is one thing (among many) I've never understood about the rules. If we went over the cap (but below the apron) we'd have roughly $5MM per year to offer with the MLE, but if we stay under we can only offer this ~$2.7MM with the Room Exception?

Is that right? For example, if we were $1 over the cap we could offer the $5MM MLE, but if we're $1 under we could only use the RE? That seems backwards. Sorry if this is obvious, but i'd love an explanation. thanks

Last edited by Wang Zhi Zhi; 07-07-2013 at 08:46 AM.
Wang Zhi Zhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 08:57 AM   #1697
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wang Zhi Zhi View Post
"They can also pay someone 5.4 total over two years with the room exception."

So this is one thing (among many) I've never understood about the rules. If we went over the cap (but below the apron) we'd have roughly $5MM per year to offer with the MLE, but if we stay under we can only offer this ~$2.7MM with the Room Exception?

Is that right? For example, if we were $1 over the cap we could offer the $5MM MLE, but if we're $1 under we could only use the RE? That seems backwards. Sorry if this is obvious, but i'd love an explanation. thanks
Well, your question is a little unclear to me. A quick clarification:

The rule has nothing to do with where you end up, it has to do with where your salary was over the course of the full year (off-season and regular season). The Mavs will only have the Room Exception because they will have dipped below the salary cap and used actual cap space to sign players.

A team stayed over the cap (like the Spurs), but doesn't plan on going into the luxury tax (technically, over the apron), can use the full MLE to sign players.

A team that stayed over the cap but is going to be in the luxury tax (like the Nets, holy crap the Nets are paying a lot of luxury tax!), they have the mini-MLE to sign players.

The reasoning behind the Room Exception being less than the full MLE is that teams using the Room Exception should have had much more flexibility to sign players due to their cap space. Honestly, I don't really see the need for the Room Exception at all. It effectively raises the cap the amount of the exception, except that it's limited to two year contracts.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
Old 07-07-2013, 09:01 AM   #1698
mavs777
Diamond Member

mavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant future

There is more to scoring than ppg, Calder lead the nonfat qualified pg's in TS % he is our second best scorer with Carter third.
Old 07-07-2013, 09:33 AM   #1699
spreedom
Diamond Member

Quote:
I'm not even having a basketball discussion with a fool such as yourself. You're welcome to read the basketball knowledge I drop in here and maybe learn something along the way but I don't consider you worthy of a serious dialogue. What was the contract you wanted to give Collison? 5 mil a year? lol.

I never once said I wanted Collison back. I don't like his game at all. I just said that he was more likely to get the MLE than he was the league minimum. He willingly took a small deal so he could play at home.

Quote:
Zach Lowe
‏@ZachLowe_NBA
There is some confusion/surprise around the NBA today that Darren Collison was available for so cheap. Nice move by Clips.
Collison could have gotten more from almost every team with cap space but chose not to wait. That's the long and short version of this signing.
Old 07-07-2013, 09:37 AM   #1700
spreedom
Diamond Member

Quote:

I will bet you whatever amount of money you want, with odds, that this isn't true. If/when Collison opts out he will sign for more than the league minimum. You can't seriously believe this, right? Like this is a big joke that you're playing on everyone?
Old 07-07-2013, 09:47 AM   #1701
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
He willingly took a small deal so he could play at home.

Collison could have gotten more from almost every team with cap space but chose not to wait. That's the long and short version of this signing.
Plus, that Clips team should be in serious contention for a ring - after his mediocre stint in Dallas, this could be a much better opportunity for him to earn a bigger contract... Deep playoff runs have a way of getting players in his position overpaid on their next deal.

The reasons for Collison to take a pay cut to play for the Clippers are numerous.

These days being a fan is a competition to see who can be the most upset when
your team loses. That proves you love winning more. That's how it works.

Last edited by Underdog; 07-07-2013 at 09:48 AM.
Underdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 09:57 AM   #1702
LonghornDub

LonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Quote:
Well, here's what I'll qualify it with:

1. It's not a make good. He has one year guaranteed and a player option for the next year. Please understand, that player option is a benefit to the *player*, not the team.

2. It's not a minimum contract. It's 1.9 Mil guaranteed, which the Clippers dipped into their MLE to use.

So other than the nature and value of his contract, you got everything right. And by that, I of course mean you got nothing right.

Please, sir, continue to share your incredible insight with us.
He said "end of story," though...

"Your'e a low-mentality drama gay queen!!" -- She_Growls

Last edited by LonghornDub; 07-07-2013 at 10:00 AM.
LonghornDub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 10:03 AM   #1703
Scott McGuire

Scott McGuire is a splendid one to beholdScott McGuire is a splendid one to beholdScott McGuire is a splendid one to beholdScott McGuire is a splendid one to beholdScott McGuire is a splendid one to beholdScott McGuire is a splendid one to beholdScott McGuire is a splendid one to beholdScott McGuire is a splendid one to beholdScott McGuire is a splendid one to beholdScott McGuire is a splendid one to beholdScott McGuire is a splendid one to behold

Quote:

If we are trading Marion then we have 3 big holes plus minor ones.
A starting Center with good defense
A starting SF
Another Scorer

Minor ones include:
Backup big
D & 3 types

We can fill these holes with:
Capspace
Trading
Room exception

Available guys I like.
Centers: Bynum, Gortat, Asik
Starting SF: AK, Corey Brewer(for cheap)
Scorers: Not Monta, Gerald Henderson, (mystery trade candidate)
Backup Bigs: Wright, O'neal, Mozgov, Dalembert, Brand, Hansbrough, Kenyon Martin
3-D: I honestly don't see any...
Old 07-07-2013, 10:26 AM   #1704
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott McGuire View Post
If we are trading Marion then we have 3 big holes plus minor ones.
A starting Center with good defense
A starting SF
Another Scorer

Minor ones include:
Backup big
D & 3 types

We can fill these holes with:
Capspace
Trading
Room exception

Available guys I like.
Centers: Bynum, Gortat, Asik
Starting SF: AK, Corey Brewer(for cheap)
Scorers: Not Monta, Gerald Henderson, (mystery trade candidate)
Backup Bigs: Wright, O'neal, Mozgov, Dalembert, Brand, Hansbrough, Kenyon Martin
3-D: I honestly don't see any...
If the Mavs move Marion, one possible scenario would be that they'd be making a play for a solid starting SG. If that happened, then you could deploy a Carter/Crowder rotation at SF. But that only works if you're bringing in a good defensive center to soak up a lot of minutes. And even then, the SG would also need to be strong defensively to support the poor defense at PG, SF and PF.

Also, while he's not really a 3D guy, I could see the Mavs bringing Dahntay Jones back on a minimum deal.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game

Last edited by jthig32; 07-07-2013 at 10:29 AM.
Old 07-07-2013, 10:32 AM   #1705
spreedom
Diamond Member

If we move Marion, we damn well better be getting a good center in return. Otherwise, I'd rather keep him and use our remaining cap space to sign the best available big men not named Bynum.
Old 07-07-2013, 10:36 AM   #1706
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

DevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
If we move Marion, we damn well better be getting a good center in return. Otherwise, I'd rather keep him and use our remaining cap space to sign the best available big men not named Bynum.
I remember a rumor of Marion to Cleveland for Varejao. Anyone still interested in that idea?

DevinHarriswillstart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 10:36 AM   #1707
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

Quote:
The best available big man not named Bynum is....Dalembert? Kaman?

It's pretty slim pickings.

I bet the Mavs would *kill* to go back in time and be involved in the three way that landed Robin Lopez in Portland after knowing Dwight was not coming here.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game

Last edited by jthig32; 07-07-2013 at 10:37 AM.
Old 07-07-2013, 10:38 AM   #1708
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevinHarriswillstart View Post
I remember a rumor of Marion to Cleveland for Varejao. Anyone still interested in that idea?
Cleveland's made a handful of moves that would seem to leave them uninterested in Marion.

And there was zero chance we were ever getting Varejao for Marion.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
Old 07-07-2013, 10:47 AM   #1709
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
That idea was only relevant when the #13 pick was still in play.

Old 07-07-2013, 10:49 AM   #1710
Scott McGuire

Scott McGuire is a splendid one to beholdScott McGuire is a splendid one to beholdScott McGuire is a splendid one to beholdScott McGuire is a splendid one to beholdScott McGuire is a splendid one to beholdScott McGuire is a splendid one to beholdScott McGuire is a splendid one to beholdScott McGuire is a splendid one to beholdScott McGuire is a splendid one to beholdScott McGuire is a splendid one to beholdScott McGuire is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
If the Mavs move Marion, one possible scenario would be that they'd be making a play for a solid starting SG. If that happened, then you could deploy a Carter/Crowder rotation at SF. But that only works if you're bringing in a good defensive center to soak up a lot of minutes. And even then, the SG would also need to be strong defensively to support the poor defense at PG, SF and PF.

Also, while he's not really a 3D guy, I could see the Mavs bringing Dahntay Jones back on a minimum deal.
You mean a guy like Aaron Afflalo? Or another player we aren't thinking of.

I guess we could roll with Carter and Crowder at the SF, but I really would love AK on our team if we lose Marion's versatility. If we could get AK for 3/21 I'd be elated. Then trade Marion for Bynum.

We'd go cheap at SG and backup big.

There really aren't enough assets to plug our holes, sometimes I think it's better to spread the quality and other times it's better to upgrade one or two spots and go cheaper on the others. Backup big has a lot of options. I think we'll have no problem getting someone cheap and decent there.
Old 07-07-2013, 10:50 AM   #1711
spreedom
Diamond Member

Quote:
The best available big man not named Bynum is....Dalembert? Kaman?

It's pretty slim pickings.

I bet the Mavs would *kill* to go back in time and be involved in the three way that landed Robin Lopez in Portland after knowing Dwight was not coming here.
Slim pickings, true... but I'm not a fan of Robin Lopez at all. Can't have your center so deficient as a rebounder and shotblocker.
Old 07-07-2013, 10:53 AM   #1712
BGMaverick9
Guru

BGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Fairly certain that was fabricated by Coop
Old 07-07-2013, 10:56 AM   #1713
Underdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by BGMaverick9 View Post
Fairly certain that was fabricated by Coop
Fabricated? Or just spit ballin'?

Old 07-07-2013, 11:01 AM   #1714
moogle

moogle is a name known to allmoogle is a name known to allmoogle is a name known to allmoogle is a name known to allmoogle is a name known to allmoogle is a name known to allmoogle is a name known to allmoogle is a name known to allmoogle is a name known to all

Quote:
I don't understand why Brand's cap hold would be 19 million? Is that a typo? He only counted $2.1M to the Mavs' cap last season, because that was the Mavs' amnesty bid. And supposedly, his cap hold this summer will be 190% of his previous cap hold, as per shamsports. They say his cap hold right now is $3.9M. Are they wrong?

Also, why would Brand's cap hold be "no reason to even discuss?" I don't think the Mavs have closed the door on bringing him back yet. We can try convincing him to stay for a 1-year contract by overpaying him. For example, if other teams are offering him a 2-year $6M mini MLE, we can counter with a 1-year $5M deal. As long as we don't renounce him, we'll have his Bird's Rights. The most he'll count towards our cap before July 10 would be $3.9M, regardless of how much we actually pay him.

We desperately need a center, and we may find ourselves in a situation where the best free agent center we can afford is Elton Brand himself.

Quote:
I didn't forget the cap holds. I listed 11 players, which is 1 short of the minimum required. We don't need that last cap hold since (presumably) we'll be using the rest of our cap for that one spot.

Also, Mekel hasn't officially signed yet. He has only "agreed to terms" and those terms are for the rookie minimum. He will fall under the rookie minimum exemption clause, like Ricky Ledo. Mekel and Ledo won't add extra cap holds to the Mavs' salary cap until July 10. We don't need to add $490k cap holds until Brand and/or Wright officially leave the team. For now, those $490k cap holds are unnecessary, since we're only 1 spot short of the 12-player minimum.

Quote:
Did you publish your estimates? I haven't found it so I can't comment. But my numbers were mostly based on the salaries I found on shamsports plus estimates on the new contracts. So far I haven't seen any reason to change my estimates. I believe we are $5.7M under the cap if we keep Bird's Rights on Brand. If we renounce him, we'll have $9.1M after incurring an additional cap hold of $490k.
moogle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 11:01 AM   #1715
BGMaverick9
Guru

BGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underdog View Post
Fabricated? Or just spit ballin'?
wishful thinking
Old 07-07-2013, 11:13 AM   #1716
OSUmavsfan

OSUmavsfan is a name known to allOSUmavsfan is a name known to allOSUmavsfan is a name known to allOSUmavsfan is a name known to allOSUmavsfan is a name known to allOSUmavsfan is a name known to allOSUmavsfan is a name known to allOSUmavsfan is a name known to allOSUmavsfan is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott McGuire View Post
You mean a guy like Aaron Afflalo? Or another player we aren't thinking of.

I guess we could roll with Carter and Crowder at the SF, but I really would love AK on our team if we lose Marion's versatility. If we could get AK for 3/21 I'd be elated. Then trade Marion for Bynum.

We'd go cheap at SG and backup big.

There really aren't enough assets to plug our holes, sometimes I think it's better to spread the quality and other times it's better to upgrade one or two spots and go cheaper on the others. Backup big has a lot of options. I think we'll have no problem getting someone cheap and decent there.
I wonder how much Orlando is hoping to get back in a trade for Afflalo. He's owed about $23 million over the next three years, and he'll be 28 to start the season, so he might not be someone that fits in with their younger roster and probable attempt at Wiggins.

The Mavs probably don't have the assets, but they could offer Larkin and Crowder, and the Magic wouldn't even need to take on a higher salary 1-year rental player as they would have in the Butler/Bledsoe rumors.

This would, however, make acquiring a quality center very difficult since they'd basically only have the room exception left.
OSUmavsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 11:17 AM   #1717
spreedom
Diamond Member

I have no interest in Afflalo, especially considering the bigger holes in this roster.
Old 07-07-2013, 11:26 AM   #1718
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

Quote:
I don't understand why Brand's cap hold would be 19 million? Is that a typo? He only counted $2.1M to the Mavs' cap last season, because that was the Mavs' amnesty bid. And supposedly, his cap hold this summer will be 190% of his previous cap hold, as per shamsports. They say his cap hold right now is $3.9M. Are they wrong?
Yes I believe they are wrong. Coon's page says Amnestied players cap holds are based on their full salary, not their amnesty level. I'll shoot Deeks a question on Twitter and see if he responds.

Quote:
An amnestied player's Bird clock does not reset when he is awarded to the team with the winning bid. In addition, for the purpose of the Bird exceptions (see question number 25) his prior salary is considered to be his full season salary.
Link

Quote:
Also, why would Brand's cap hold be "no reason to even discuss?" I don't think the Mavs have closed the door on bringing him back yet. We can try convincing him to stay for a 1-year contract by overpaying him. For example, if other teams are offering him a 2-year $6M mini MLE, we can counter with a 1-year $5M deal. As long as we don't renounce him, we'll have his Bird's Rights. The most he'll count towards our cap before July 10 would be $3.9M, regardless of how much we actually pay him.

We desperately need a center, and we may find ourselves in a situation where the best free agent center we can afford is Elton Brand himself.
I think there's no reason to discuss because I think his hold is 19Mil+. And even if it's somehow not, I think it's highly unlikely that we would ever pay him more than the hold itself, so there would be no reason to keep the hold.

Quote:
Also, Mekel hasn't officially signed yet. He has only "agreed to terms" and those terms are for the rookie minimum. He will fall under the rookie minimum exemption clause, like Ricky Ledo.
I understand all this, which is why I stated that Mekel counts the same as a cap hold, but he should still be listed as on the roster.

Quote:
Did you publish your estimates? I haven't found it so I can't comment. But my numbers were mostly based on the salaries I found on shamsports plus estimates on the new contracts. So far I haven't seen any reason to change my estimates. I believe we are $5.7M under the cap if we keep Bird's Rights on Brand. If we renounce him, we'll have $9.1M after incurring an additional cap hold of $490k.
The only real difference between our numbers (other than Brand) is Calderon will actually start closer to 6.8, and Harris 2.9, and the extra cap hold.

Coon's FAQ is a bit confusing on whether it's actually 13 holds or 12. If we assume it's 12, then you are correct to remove the last cap hold as it doesn't affect the 12th signed player. With that taken into account my numbers show 8.6, you have 9.1. Adjust for the more accurate starting salary of Calderon and Harris and we're on the same page.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game

Last edited by jthig32; 07-07-2013 at 11:26 AM.
Old 07-07-2013, 01:12 PM   #1719
SeanL

SeanL is infamous around these partsSeanL is infamous around these partsSeanL is infamous around these partsSeanL is infamous around these parts

Why no interest in Greg oden?
SeanL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 01:49 PM   #1720
mavs777
Diamond Member

mavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant future

Mavs right now have only about 15 million committed to 14-15 (maybe a bit less) between Calderon, harris, Ledo (assuming he signs), larkin, james, and crowder, next years offseason is what I am really looking forward to when mavs will have a lot of money to spend on second tier free agents (I don't have any delusions of LeBron or melo coming here), obviously dirk will resign my guess at around 10 mill and that would give the mavs around 30 million in free agency to play with (probably more around 22 or so when mavs finish this offseason). Really we can realistically build a contender next year assuming some of the low salary players produce. Some players I am interested in next year.

Paul Pierce
Luol Deng
Brandon Rush
Danny Granger
Gordon Hayward (restricted)
Anderson Varejao (could be)
Kosta Koufos (perfect backup for Bynum if we get him)
Marcin Gortat (only as a backup)
Andrew Bogut
Emeka Okafor
Pau Gasol

This year will probably be mediocre unless we get Bynum and he stays healthy for 60+ games, but we can really build something special next year

Last edited by mavs777; 07-07-2013 at 02:31 PM.
mavs777 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cad von ghostymooglebane, moogleghostfacechamp, ummmm