Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 07-10-2010, 07:39 PM   #1681
SMC0007
Guru

SMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dtownsfinest View Post
I don't see CP3 as a option for the Mavs though. I'm A) not convinced that the Hornets really want to deal him and B)not convinced draft picks and the dust chip is all it would take to get him. And i'm also more intrigued by a front court of Dirk and Al Jefferson compared to a backcourt of Paul, Kidd and Roddy. I know that's crazy especially because I feel Paul is a top 3 point guard in this league and has the ability to make a bad team into a contender. I'd be a bit more intrigued by Paul if I knew Kidd would be on his way out.
Oh, Kidd is on his way out wether anyone likes it or not! It's just gonna suck watching his body slowly grind down thru the back of Dirks prime. After watching Roddy yesterday(fwiw), he needs to at least improve leaps and bounds on the LEADERSHIP aspect before we can feel comfortable with him taking the reins.

I would give Roddy and either or both of my testicles without anesthetic on site for CP3!!!

you just proofed how stupid you are - CRAZYBOY
SMC0007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-10-2010, 07:56 PM   #1682
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMC0007 View Post
I would give Roddy and either or both of my testicles without anesthetic on site for CP3!!!
this is a man ready to get things done.

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"
sike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 07:56 PM   #1683
Thomas86
Golden Member

Thomas86 is a name known to allThomas86 is a name known to allThomas86 is a name known to allThomas86 is a name known to allThomas86 is a name known to allThomas86 is a name known to allThomas86 is a name known to allThomas86 is a name known to allThomas86 is a name known to allThomas86 is a name known to allThomas86 is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by twistaeffect2004 View Post
That's the best case scenario for the Mavs, but I'm not sure why the Wolves would do it. Marion has a long term deal, and he's declining. Carroll has a horrific deal considering he doesn't even play. The only guy in that deal I'd think would be an value to the Wolves is Stevenson because of his expiring. I know the Wolves have made some questionable decisions in the past, but boy, their fanbase would kill them over this. It wouldn't help them all that much.
Marion is still a good defender even thow he can't score like he used too, Marion was the main reason Kobe didn't kill the Mavs this season and only put up 16ppg vs. Dallas this past season, Marion should be coming off the bench behind Butler and Dirk but he ego whon't let him do that.
Thomas86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 08:00 PM   #1684
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

Why would the Wolves take back two small expiring contracts and Marion for Jefferson? Where are people getting that? Doesn't make a lick of sense.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com

Last edited by jthig32; 07-10-2010 at 08:00 PM.
jthig32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 08:01 PM   #1685
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute

Asked Followill about his "gut" feeling about what the Mavs do with the Dust Chip (gave him the following options: Iggy, Al, or something else and this was his response: "Dunno. Al has def issues & lot to play a 6th man so there are warts. Iggy means u prob have to take back Brand & I dont like that."

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"
Old 07-10-2010, 09:00 PM   #1686
BGMaverick9
Guru

BGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMC0007 View Post
Oh, Kidd is on his way out wether anyone likes it or not! It's just gonna suck watching his body slowly grind down thru the back of Dirks prime. After watching Roddy yesterday(fwiw), he needs to at least improve leaps and bounds on the LEADERSHIP aspect before we can feel comfortable with him taking the reins.

Judging the summer league isn't necessarily the best form of scouting when it comes to assessing his leadership abilities. A good chunk of those games are basically suped up rec-ball games.

IMO, Collison would not be a bad consolation prize with NO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jthig32 View Post
Why would the Wolves take back two small expiring contracts and Marion for Jefferson? Where are people getting that? Doesn't make a lick of sense.
I looked at the trade machine and the first thing I saw with a Jefferson deal was DUST and Stevenson for Al and Sessions deal. Ramon is a proven PG and can be a combo threat as well and probably can allow Roddy to focus more on SG responsibilities with the starting unit. It saves Minnesota too...doesn't really help our issue though with reducing payroll (whoops )

You can then explore deals with JJ, Jet, Butler, etc.

Last edited by BGMaverick9; 07-10-2010 at 09:02 PM.
BGMaverick9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 09:13 PM   #1687
tcat075
Diamond Member

tcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by jthig32 View Post
Yeah, this is what I was thinking.
tcat075 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 11:59 PM   #1688
BGMaverick9
Guru

BGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond repute

Stein on Shaq
http://espn.go.com/blog/truehoop/pos...nt-count-on-it
Quote:
There is no debate about who ranks as the most provocative free-name still available on the open market: Shaquille O'Neal.

The notion that Shaq is going to wind up in San Antonio, though, continues to be overstated.

It would obviously be fascinating theatre to see Shaq backing up Tim Duncan, playing for Gregg Popovich and returning to the city where he dominated high school ball after all those years at the forefront of a rivalry that has often prompted Pop to liken the Lakers to the Soviet Union.

However ...

This isn't merely a long shot because the Spurs aren't exactly known for chemistry experiments. The reality is that San Antonio has devoted all its energies (and available free-agent cash) to finally bringing Tiago Splitter over from Europe and re-signing Matt Bonner.

And it's safe to say that Shaq isn't looking to sign anywhere on a low-dollar leftovers with a team short of minutes, too.

He's still getting interest from the Atlanta Hawks -- where he would likely be a ticket-seller in addition to a Dwight Howard foil -- and would naturally love to finally land in Dallas after maintaining a longtime friendship with Mavs owner Mark Cuban.

But the prospect of Shaq winding up in black and silver, tantalizing as that sounds as a sidebar to everything happening in Miami, realistically can't happen.

P.S.: I'm not buying Shaq as a Heat target, either. Not a likely chemistry experiment on Pat Riley's radar.
Old 07-11-2010, 12:01 AM   #1689
tcat075
Diamond Member

tcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by BGMaverick9 View Post
BG, check your PM's.
Old 07-11-2010, 12:09 AM   #1690
BGMaverick9
Guru

done and done
Old 07-11-2010, 12:31 AM   #1691
SMC0007
Guru

SMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond repute

dust for chaq

Old 07-11-2010, 12:43 AM   #1692
SMC0007
Guru

Quote:
Judging the summer league isn't necessarily the best form of scouting when it comes to assessing his leadership abilities. A good chunk of those games are basically suped up rec-ball games.

IMO, Collison would not be a bad consolation prize with NO.

YEAh i kown, but they have some set plays and he wasn't very verbal like he was tonight. He was telling people where to go and communicating in time outs. It was a complete turnaround in almost every facet.

In these scattered chaotic games, if he wants to shine and show improvement it is going to be best if he takes the leadership role by the horns the way coaches and FO want to see, and show he can be counted on in any situation to make the right plays and run the offense. Especially a hectic situation. IF he can do that it will show a lot imo.

Also... we can use yours if were talking about Collison

Last edited by SMC0007; 07-11-2010 at 12:45 AM.
Old 07-11-2010, 09:42 PM   #1693
twistaeffect2004
Diamond Member

twistaeffect2004 has a brilliant futuretwistaeffect2004 has a brilliant futuretwistaeffect2004 has a brilliant futuretwistaeffect2004 has a brilliant futuretwistaeffect2004 has a brilliant futuretwistaeffect2004 has a brilliant futuretwistaeffect2004 has a brilliant futuretwistaeffect2004 has a brilliant futuretwistaeffect2004 has a brilliant futuretwistaeffect2004 has a brilliant futuretwistaeffect2004 has a brilliant future

Mavs are going after Udonis Haslem. According to Yahoo.com they've offered him a multi-year deal @ the mid-level exception.

You'd figure if they got Haslem that'd end any speculation with us and Al Jefferson.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news;_yl...gentbuzz071110

Quote:
The Dallas Mavericks are determined to make it difficult for free agent Udonis Haslem to easily return to the Miami Heat.

The Mavs have offered a multi-year contract starting at the full mid-level exception of $5.85 million, league sources told Yahoo! Sports.

The Heat are trying to re-sign Haslem to play with Dwyane Wade, LeBron James and Chris Bosh, but salary cap restraints could leave them with as little as $4.3 million a year to pay him. And that’s assuming the Heat signs free agent Mike Miller starting at $4.9 million.

Haslem, who made $7 million last season, has been a consistent defender and rebounder for the Heat, and president Pat Riley has been determined to keep him. He averaged 10 points and eight rebounds in seven seasons with Miami.

New Jersey has shown interest in Haslem but hasn’t made a formal offer. Haslem shares the same agent as Wade and Bosh, and has expressed a strong desire to return to the Heat.

Last edited by twistaeffect2004; 07-11-2010 at 09:44 PM.
twistaeffect2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 09:53 PM   #1694
mac222b
Diamond Member

mac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond repute

well. not much bad to say about Haslem. he's smart and tough and plays hard. it's alot to give to Dirk's back-up though...
mac222b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 09:56 PM   #1695
BGMaverick9
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by twistaeffect2004 View Post
Mavs are going after Udonis Haslem. According to Yahoo.com they've offered him a multi-year deal @ the mid-level exception.

You'd figure if they got Haslem that'd end any speculation with us and Al Jefferson.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news;_yl...gentbuzz071110
I'm pretty sure Haslem spent his collegiate career with the Gators and been with the Heat his entire pro career...
I think it's a solid idea, but I don't think they're going to win the Haslem Race...Wade has said he wants Udonis by his side still. I'd be very surprised if he left Miami.

Definitely suggests that we seriously are pushing to improve the 4/5 spot.

Last edited by BGMaverick9; 07-11-2010 at 09:58 PM.
BGMaverick9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 09:57 PM   #1696
tcat075
Diamond Member

Hmm.

Haslem reminds me a lot of Brandon Bass. He's got a solid jumper that extends out to the 16-20 foot range, he's a good free throw shooter for a big, and he rebounds well. He doesn't block shots all that well (in fact, he's terrible at it... 0.3 blocks a game last year in 28 mpg) but I think he's an OK defender ignoring that fact.

Since I'm getting the vibe that the Mavericks don't think they will be able to grab Jefferson for the price they want, this wouldn't be a bad backup 4/5. I'm not sure he's leaving Miami, but its possible.

Last edited by tcat075; 07-11-2010 at 09:58 PM.
Old 07-11-2010, 10:02 PM   #1697
Thomas86
Golden Member

Thomas86 is a name known to allThomas86 is a name known to allThomas86 is a name known to allThomas86 is a name known to allThomas86 is a name known to allThomas86 is a name known to allThomas86 is a name known to allThomas86 is a name known to allThomas86 is a name known to allThomas86 is a name known to allThomas86 is a name known to all

I wouldn't mind Udonis Haslem on the Mavs because I respect his game, the people over at DB.com are about to lose there minds if Cuban really offered Haslem the full MLE instead of going after Jefferson.

Last edited by Thomas86; 07-11-2010 at 10:07 PM.
Thomas86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 10:06 PM   #1698
BGMaverick9
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas86 View Post
I would mind Udonis Haslem on the Mavs because I respect his game, the people over at DB.com are about to lose there minds if Cuban really offered Haslem the full MLE instead of going after Jefferson.
DM boards = Varsity
DB boards = Rec-league

just saying...
Old 07-11-2010, 10:09 PM   #1699
twistaeffect2004
Diamond Member

twistaeffect2004 has a brilliant futuretwistaeffect2004 has a brilliant futuretwistaeffect2004 has a brilliant futuretwistaeffect2004 has a brilliant futuretwistaeffect2004 has a brilliant futuretwistaeffect2004 has a brilliant futuretwistaeffect2004 has a brilliant futuretwistaeffect2004 has a brilliant futuretwistaeffect2004 has a brilliant futuretwistaeffect2004 has a brilliant futuretwistaeffect2004 has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas86 View Post
I would mind Udonis Haslem on the Mavs because I respect his game, the people over at DB.com are about to lose there minds if Cuban really offered Haslem the full MLE instead of going after Jefferson.
DB.com is a great source of information, and I truly love reading Fisher and DLord's stuff. But 99 percent of that message board is pure trash.

This would be a very solid signing.

One poster on there said this would be the worst signing in Mavs history.... uhh.

Last edited by twistaeffect2004; 07-11-2010 at 10:10 PM.
twistaeffect2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 10:18 PM   #1700
BGMaverick9
Guru

I think there are sincere thoughts that they'd like to sign Haslem, I can see them pairing him with Dirk or Haywood in instances. That doesn't fix our backup center issue though. I think it's a mix of talking to Miami and Minnesota by throwing ourselves into the mix. If we really do want Jefferson - now the assumption is Minnesota IS wanting to deal with us but they're being stubborn on a point and this is just a signal that they need to change their ways or we're moving on. With Miami, they're just trying to make things uncomfortable and get in the way of re-upping with Haslem...if that works, they'll be happy bringing Haslem on board.
Old 07-11-2010, 10:19 PM   #1701
LSMF
Diamond Member

LSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond repute

I don't agree with us going after Haslem. Why would we want to use our Full MLE on our strongest position? You already have Dirk, you've got Najera, you've got Marion who can play some 4. What is the point of adding another 4 to the team? Especially for the MLE. It's not the worst move we can make, since I really do like Haslem's game and his toughness but I just don't think it's necessary to add another 4 to the team.
Old 07-11-2010, 10:21 PM   #1702
xrobx
Diamond Member

xrobx has a reputation beyond reputexrobx has a reputation beyond reputexrobx has a reputation beyond reputexrobx has a reputation beyond reputexrobx has a reputation beyond reputexrobx has a reputation beyond reputexrobx has a reputation beyond reputexrobx has a reputation beyond reputexrobx has a reputation beyond reputexrobx has a reputation beyond reputexrobx has a reputation beyond repute

i for one don't think this is a good move at all. why would we use the full MLE just to improve our strongest position? is the sole purpose of this move just to cockblock the heat? because it doesn't help us...

thankfully i don't see haslem leaving his home state and the chance to win some more guaranteed rings just to come here
xrobx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 10:22 PM   #1703
sike
The Preacha

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSMF View Post
I don't agree with us going after Haslem. Why would we want to use our Full MLE on our strongest position? You already have Dirk, you've got Najera, you've got Marion who can play some 4. What is the point of adding another 4 to the team? Especially for the MLE. It's not the worst move we can make, since I really do like Haslem's game and his toughness but I just don't think it's necessary to add another 4 to the team.
Good thoughts.

I'm sick of thinking of moves that basically relegate Marion to small minutes...they need that guy playing his version of freakish D!

Old 07-11-2010, 10:22 PM   #1704
xrobx
Diamond Member

xrobx has a reputation beyond reputexrobx has a reputation beyond reputexrobx has a reputation beyond reputexrobx has a reputation beyond reputexrobx has a reputation beyond reputexrobx has a reputation beyond reputexrobx has a reputation beyond reputexrobx has a reputation beyond reputexrobx has a reputation beyond reputexrobx has a reputation beyond reputexrobx has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

are you me?
xrobx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 10:26 PM   #1705
BGMaverick9
Guru

FYI - Stein just put up a link that is suggesting Phoenix is closing to trading Barbosa to Toronto for Hedo Turkoglu and obtaining Josh Childress
Old 07-11-2010, 10:29 PM   #1706
sike
The Preacha

Quote:
FYI - Stein just put up a link that is suggesting Phoenix is closing to trading Barbosa to Toronto for Hedo Turkoglu and obtaining Josh Childress
yikes

Old 07-11-2010, 10:31 PM   #1707
BGMaverick9
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by sike View Post
yikes
http://www.azcentral.com/sports/suns...childress.html
Old 07-11-2010, 10:35 PM   #1708
sike
The Preacha

Quote:
Nash and Hedo will be good for each other...

Old 07-11-2010, 10:38 PM   #1709
LSMF
Diamond Member

LSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Wow, that's really good news for Phoenix. Barbosa has very low B-ball IQ. Yes, he can score but he makes bad decisions and takes questionable shots. Hedo is a much better decision maker, good ball handler, he can score and he's versatile. Childress is very impressive to me. He's very underrated, I think of him as a mini version of All-Star Shawn Marion. He can play defense, runs the floor very well, very good finisher, and very athletic. He would thrive with Steve Nash in an up tempo system. If only Childress had some mid range game...Back to Barbosa though, I almost feel bad for him. Phoenix is his home, he's always played for the Suns and now he may have to go to play for the Toronto Craptors. Poor guy, I wouldn't wish Toronto upon anyone.
Old 07-11-2010, 10:40 PM   #1710
BGMaverick9
Guru

Quote:
Wow, that's really good news for Phoenix. Barbosa has very low B-ball IQ. Yes, he can score but he makes bad decisions and takes questionable shots. Hedo is a much better decision maker, good ball handler, he can score and he's versatile. Childress is very impressive to me. He's very underrated, I think of him as a mini version of All-Star Shawn Marion. He can play defense, runs the floor very well, very good finisher, and very athletic. He would thrive with Steve Nash in an up tempo system. If only Childress had some mid range game...Back to Barbosa though, I almost feel bad for him. Phoenix is his home, he's always played for the Suns and now he may have to go to play for the Toronto Craptors. Poor guy, I wouldn't wish Toronto upon anyone.
His weaknesses definitely diminished his value on the Suns, pair that with Dragic and it's game over for Leandro.
Old 07-11-2010, 10:48 PM   #1711
BGMaverick9
Guru

This news about Phoenix, if true, makes me want the FO to talk to Phoenix about J-Rich and his availability.

Think about it, they're apparently getting Hedo and Childress...they already have Grant Hill and Richardson.
Old 07-12-2010, 12:13 AM   #1712
Jon Avalon
Platinum Member

Jon Avalon is a name known to allJon Avalon is a name known to allJon Avalon is a name known to allJon Avalon is a name known to allJon Avalon is a name known to allJon Avalon is a name known to allJon Avalon is a name known to allJon Avalon is a name known to allJon Avalon is a name known to allJon Avalon is a name known to allJon Avalon is a name known to all

" Mavs nearing deal for Ian Mahinmi "

http://www.star-telegram.com/2010/07...n-on-deal.html

Hmmm nice, if true not bad for the BAE. Good pick up.

Last edited by Jon Avalon; 07-12-2010 at 12:14 AM.
Jon Avalon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 12:18 AM   #1713
grndmstr_c
Diamond Member

grndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond repute

Lots of things that could be going on with this Haslem offer:

1) He's the best PF or C left on the FA market (or am I forgetting about someone), and even if his natural position is PF, I guarantee you the Mavs see him as somebody who can play next to Dirk.

2) If Dallas lands him, Miami will have lost out on what appears to be their best chance at addressing their complete lack of frontcourt depth, not to mention a guy who fares about as well as anyone does defensively against Dirk. Make no mistake: between the Heat's need for another capable player in their frontcourt, the sparsity of resources that they now have to work with, and the slim pickings left over in this year's free agent crop, stealing Haslem could set that team's progression back by a year.

3) Also if Dallas lands him, it ups the stakes on Fisher's eventual free agent decision, and either way that things shake out it probably ends up being a subtle win for the Mavs. Miami would suddenly have money to get in a real bidding war for his services, and if they ponied up the dough to pry him away from the Lakers that would weaken (at least a little) Dallas' most daunting Western foe. At the same time, LA would be more likely to have to overpay to keep him, and in the event that they did so (aided, perhaps, by Fisher's concerns about the Heat's paper-thin frontcourt), the Heat would have missed out on both of their high-priority playoff-tested veteran targets.

4) The reports of the offer to Haslem send a clear signal to any team trying to get the Mavs to pay a premium for an overpaid 4/5 that the current asking price(s) won't fly. This is at best a temporary aid to negotiations that expires as soon as Haslem makes his decision, but it's an aid nonetheless.

Put it all together and I feel pretty good about the decision. Haslem's not a perfect fit (would be nice if he were more of a shot-blocking threat), and the Heat might still be able to pull together a team (surely they'd make a play for Damp once he's released if they had the cap room), but there are a range of potential payoffs, and I can't think of anything better to do with the MLE.
Old 07-12-2010, 12:18 AM   #1714
Windmill360
Diamond Member

Windmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond repute

Mahinmi - He's not gonna be on the roster... it's gotta be a facilitating move.

Last edited by Windmill360; 07-12-2010 at 12:19 AM.
Windmill360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 12:45 AM   #1715
mac222b
Diamond Member

mac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windmill360 View Post
Mahinmi - He's not gonna be on the roster... it's gotta be a facilitating move.
wouldn't they have to wait a while before they could deal him though?
Old 07-12-2010, 12:57 AM   #1716
mac222b
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by grndmstr_c View Post
Lots of things that could be going on with this Haslem offer:

1) He's the best PF or C left on the FA market (or am I forgetting about someone), and even if his natural position is PF, I guarantee you the Mavs see him as somebody who can play next to Dirk.

2) If Dallas lands him, Miami will have lost out on what appears to be their best chance at addressing their complete lack of frontcourt depth, not to mention a guy who fares about as well as anyone does defensively against Dirk. Make no mistake: between the Heat's need for another capable player in their frontcourt, the sparsity of resources that they now have to work with, and the slim pickings left over in this year's free agent crop, stealing Haslem could set that team's progression back by a year.

3) Also if Dallas lands him, it ups the stakes on Fisher's eventual free agent decision, and either way that things shake out it probably ends up being a subtle win for the Mavs. Miami would suddenly have money to get in a real bidding war for his services, and if they ponied up the dough to pry him away from the Lakers that would weaken (at least a little) Dallas' most daunting Western foe. At the same time, LA would be more likely to have to overpay to keep him, and in the event that they did so (aided, perhaps, by Fisher's concerns about the Heat's paper-thin frontcourt), the Heat would have missed out on both of their high-priority playoff-tested veteran targets.

4) The reports of the offer to Haslem send a clear signal to any team trying to get the Mavs to pay a premium for an overpaid 4/5 that the current asking price(s) won't fly. This is at best a temporary aid to negotiations that expires as soon as Haslem makes his decision, but it's an aid nonetheless.

Put it all together and I feel pretty good about the decision. Haslem's not a perfect fit (would be nice if he were more of a shot-blocking threat), and the Heat might still be able to pull together a team (surely they'd make a play for Damp once he's released if they had the cap room), but there are a range of potential payoffs, and I can't think of anything better to do with the MLE.
excellent post. i think most people here respect Haslem's game. we'd all be happy to have him here. but he's not really a Center. he's even a little under-sized for a PF. it would mean more small ball. with Haslem or Dirk playing center some. Najera did not rebound well as Dirk's back-up and Haslem rebounds really well and he's a good mid-range shooter. but to get Haslem 25-30 mins. a night necessitates some small ball. and as you said it could be a move used as leverage against the Twolves. though i don't think the TWolves are THAT desperate to move Jefferson. i think it's gonna cost us DUST. maybe we're balking at sending back a certain pick?
Old 07-12-2010, 01:06 AM   #1717
fluid.forty.one

fluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond repute

"If the Mavericks secure Mahinmi, who probably would require the bi-annual exception of about $1.9 million, it could be a sign that Dampier no longer is in the Mavericks' plans."

So... that means we're planning to actually do something with Damp then, right? I don't like the idea of Dirk taking a pay cut for the team when they're already getting a ton of savings from Damps contract (if they do just straight up release him).

Last edited by fluid.forty.one; 07-12-2010 at 01:06 AM.
fluid.forty.one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 01:20 AM   #1718
BGMaverick9
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluid.forty.one View Post
"If the Mavericks secure Mahinmi, who probably would require the bi-annual exception of about $1.9 million, it could be a sign that Dampier no longer is in the Mavericks' plans."

So... that means we're planning to actually do something with Damp then, right? I don't like the idea of Dirk taking a pay cut for the team when they're already getting a ton of savings from Damps contract (if they do just straight up release him).
So if Haslem is still a part of the picture, they're hoping they really only have to use him as Dirk's backup. If both Haslem and Mahinmi are in the fold, they really don't need Damp.

If they decide not to cut Damp, logically, it would seem like they're using him and someone else to still find a wing player then.
Old 07-12-2010, 01:40 AM   #1719
fluid.forty.one

fluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
If they decide not to cut Damp, logically, it would seem like they're using him and someone else to still find a wing player then.
I guess my worry is that they feel like we're set with

a. A full year of Caron/Haywood with the team
b. Roddy getting better
c. The Spurs Sloppy Second Center
d. Haslem?

and then cut Damp for the savings.

I'm pretty sure that Dirk took a pay cut because he wanted the Mavs to do something with it, not sign Haywood (Dirk's 16 mill basically covered the entire raise) with it and then take savings elsewhere.
fluid.forty.one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 01:46 AM   #1720
mavs777
Diamond Member

mavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant future

If anyone expect Mahinmi to be our backup center I will shoot you.

As for Haslem even with Jefferson, Haywood, and Dirk I can easely find minutes for Haslem, he can back up Dirk for 12 minutes, play a couple of minutes at the 3, and play some minutes with Jefferson (as they compliment each others games perfectly), even if Haslem is just giving us 16 MPG, he will probably give us about 6 and 4.5, 50% shooting and a big that can stretch the floor great with medium range shot when Dirk rests. I think he is Bass with a lot more defense
mavs777 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
<clutch tagging>, 6feetunderdog, ban cad, big thread kill board, cad is a troll, cadbane=vagina dentana, cadpain in the ass, fell=fail, fluid guzzler!, fluidfartyone!, gay tags, grandma cigarettes, it's a race no running!?!, mammoth gortat, mammoth knockers, mammoth thread, miami cheat, more bloody cuntbane, shut the fluff up, smc = sucks many c*cks, then stop posting in it, underdog=legallyretarded, we luv us sum fluffy, where is fluffy?, wtf is fell?...