Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 04-07-2011, 10:49 AM   #1681
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Budapest Maverick View Post
I wouldn't be oppose of that lineup, in fact, i think the best thing Carlisle could do with Roddy right now, is telling him to come off the bench, and score the damn ball. Don't hesitate, don't try to create for others when it's not there, just do your thing. It could actually work, if Kidd's three ball comes back, and we can run a little with Marion and Brewer. Carlisle has to try something.
I agree with this, he should come in and start jacking the ball up, it's what he's best at right now. If he's on from 3pt land you get something, if not, sayonara.
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
dude1394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-07-2011, 10:49 AM   #1682
kg_veteran
Old School Balla

kg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by dude1394 View Post
No he's not getting excessive minutes and maybe (it wouldn't be the first time) I'm full of it. But starting an nba game is a sorta big deal imo. Every player out there wants to start, all of 'em. Carlisle got ripped last year for not playing roddy...well results be damned he's playing him now.

From what I've seen in the nba there is a real fine line between winners and losers and a whole bunch of it is between their heads. It doesn't take much to go on a 5 game losing streak it appears. There isn't really all that special going on..no one is hurt, no one is a disruption...but the team looks like they are the 12th seed right about now.

SOMETHING is going on.
You're right. Something is going on. All I'm saying is, if veterans are going to bitch, perhaps they should go out there and EARN some playing time. The veteran players on the team (Kidd, Terry, Stevenson) are sucking just as badly if not worse than Roddy.
Old 04-07-2011, 10:51 AM   #1683
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by kg_veteran View Post
It's not like he's getting excessive minutes, but he can't be counted on. Stevenson sucks, so he shouldn't be complaining, but Brewer could actually help in ways that none of the other guards can. The guards are undersized and/or unathletic; Brewer could fix both. A starting lineup of Kidd/Brewer/Marion/Nowitzki/Chandler is pretty darn good defensively. Yes, you're going to have some problems offensively at times, but that's why you bring Terry, Stojakovic and Barea off the bench as necessary.
To be honest I don't worry about stevenson, I worry about dirk/jet/jkiddo/chandler etc...With respect to brewer...well trot him out there I guess, can't be any worse.
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
Old 04-07-2011, 10:53 AM   #1684
dude1394
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by kg_veteran View Post
You're right. Something is going on. All I'm saying is, if veterans are going to bitch, perhaps they should go out there and EARN some playing time. The veteran players on the team (Kidd, Terry, Stevenson) are sucking just as badly if not worse than Roddy.
Stevenson's shooting is sucking as bad but he's not turning it over and taking a lot of shots. He's also moving the ball and playing solid defense. So although he's not scoring a lot, he's not a negative. I think that is a big difference.

And as I said in the other post, I'm not worried about bench guys like stevenson really. Those guys expect to get yanked around and they are well....bench guys..not that good if you know what I mean.
Old 04-07-2011, 10:54 AM   #1685
Budapest Maverick
Platinum Member

Budapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant future

Quote:
I thought I would relay what the post game host was saying to Mark Followill after the game for those that cannot get the local radio show. But hey......

Using a word like blasphemy sort of exposes the religious fervor of roddy fans.
So you're saying me that they said there is a chemistry problem, and the one who causes it is Roddy. Because i have a slight feeling that might be your interpretation. I would be shocked if a Mavs radio host actually said he thinks the players intentionally mail it in because they think Roddy plays too much. Again, that's what you were suggesting. Also, i think all Mavs fan should be Roddy fans. When you write it like that, i'm wondering if you might be one of those guys who's more of a Dirk fan, than Mavs fan. Which i'm not saying is a horrible thing, i actually started out as a huge Dirk fan, and became a Mavs fanatic later, God knows why. Whatever, we s**k, it's so frustrating.

Last edited by Budapest Maverick; 04-07-2011 at 10:55 AM.
Budapest Maverick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 10:59 AM   #1686
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

DevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond repute

I agree something is going on, and I agree Roddy has sucked. No doubt about it.

Just don't pin the rest of the team's undoing on him. Stevenson has been so bad that I'm not even sure the d league would accept him. Brewer could guard shooting guards, but I'm not sure Kidd can guard most pgs anymore. Roddy starts so that Kidd can guard the 2 or 3 if necessary. The defensive match-up is certainly taken into consideration here.

DevinHarriswillstart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 10:59 AM   #1687
dude1394
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Budapest Maverick View Post
So you're saying me that they said there is a chemistry problem, and the one who causes it is Roddy. Because i have a slight feeling that might be your interpretation. I would be shocked if a Mavs radio host actually said he thinks the players intentionally mail it in because they think Roddy plays too much. Again, that's what you were suggesting. Also, i think all Mavs fan should be Roddy fans. When you write it like that, i'm wondering if you're might be one of those guys who's more of a Dirk fan, than Mavs fan. Which i'm not saying is a horrible thing, i actually started out as a huge Dirk fan, and became a Mavs fanatic later, God knows why. Whatever, we s**k, it's so frustrating.
It's not roddy that is causing it, it's carlisle for playing him when he doesn't deserve the minutes. The host said and I'm pretty close to a quote "roddy being in the lineup seems like it might be some sort of cancer on the team".

Again not roddy personally or the player or anything. When I have been in organizations with very,very high performers...they absolutely will not tolerate mediocrity...it is one of the reasons that I had to put them as individual contributors and not team leaders, they can't deal with it.

NBA players of dirk/jkiddo/jet/shawn/chandler/etc. are very high performers. I fear that they look at this situation and don't necessarily dive for that lose ball or fight quite as hard for a rebound, etc. It's not anything they would probably even voice...but those things are tricky and you don't mess with them without taking a pretty big risk.

As far as a dirk fan versus a mavs fan, no question about it and I don't apologize for it. I'm not sure I'd even watch the nba if it weren't for the dirkster as watching a game that is decided by a refs whistle drives me crazy.

But I want to see how the story ends.
Old 04-07-2011, 11:01 AM   #1688
dude1394
Guru

It's not things you can pin it on imo. It's sloppy passes, not paying attention to detail, not as dialed in as you need to be...a sort of malaise. They just are not playing championship (or top 8) ball right now. It's not only shooting, rebounding, etc...it seems to be something else.
Old 04-07-2011, 11:05 AM   #1689
b_o_r
Golden Member

b_o_r has much to be proud ofb_o_r has much to be proud ofb_o_r has much to be proud ofb_o_r has much to be proud ofb_o_r has much to be proud ofb_o_r has much to be proud ofb_o_r has much to be proud ofb_o_r has much to be proud ofb_o_r has much to be proud ofb_o_r has much to be proud ofb_o_r has much to be proud of

Quote:
The post game guy said something that I was worried about with roddy. That inserting him into and keeping him in the starting lineup even though he had not earned it and worse not improving might cause this vet club to revolt. I hadn't heard words spoken to that but their play looks pretty passive aggressive right now.

If roddy can stink and still keep his minutes so can I, stuff like that.

High achievers get more pissed at favoritism than anything else I've seen. Time to stop the welfare rick.
This isn't the Pistons or anything like that situation. Stevenson isn't/hasn't and never will be an integral part of this team like Hamilton was for the Pistons. Deshawn was a placeholder, he got to start by default and he played well at first than plummeted. Roddy was going to start at the 2, this was known since last summer. Dirk, Terry, Kidd, Marion, and just about all the other players who were here last year knew of this decision and were excited for his ascension. Maybe a little 2 excited? And what Terry did to Roddy last night (the little pep talk before the FT's) squashes any thought of a revolt.

He has been bad these 2-3 weeks, but before that he had a very good 2 week stretch but that didn't stop our VETERANS from blowing leads in the 4th against NO, MEM, and POR did it? Last night, our go to guys just threw away a winnable game with silly TO's, not hustling to loose balls and shot selection even though Denver was in the penalty for the last 3 minutes of the game.
b_o_r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 11:09 AM   #1690
JeffViggiano
Banned

JeffViggiano will become famous soon enoughJeffViggiano will become famous soon enough

Quote:

SOMETHING is going on.
and is roddy's fault???hahahahaha funny.
JeffViggiano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 11:12 AM   #1691
b_o_r
Golden Member

b_o_r has much to be proud ofb_o_r has much to be proud ofb_o_r has much to be proud ofb_o_r has much to be proud ofb_o_r has much to be proud ofb_o_r has much to be proud ofb_o_r has much to be proud ofb_o_r has much to be proud ofb_o_r has much to be proud ofb_o_r has much to be proud ofb_o_r has much to be proud of

Quote:
No he's not getting excessive minutes and maybe (it wouldn't be the first time) I'm full of it. But starting an nba game is a sorta big deal imo. Every player out there wants to start, all of 'em. Carlisle got ripped last year for not playing roddy...well results be damned he's playing him now.

From what I've seen in the nba there is a real fine line between winners and losers and a whole bunch of it is between their heads. It doesn't take much to go on a 5 game losing streak it appears. There isn't really all that special going on..no one is hurt, no one is a disruption...but the team looks like they are the 12th seed right about now.

SOMETHING is going on.
They still haven't gotten over that loss to Memphis and NO. Terry has told that to you, I, and everyone else. And it didn't help that Carlisle called them "Soft" either. Call them everything else but soft.
Old 04-07-2011, 12:01 PM   #1692
JHT

JHT is a name known to allJHT is a name known to allJHT is a name known to allJHT is a name known to allJHT is a name known to allJHT is a name known to allJHT is a name known to allJHT is a name known to allJHT is a name known to allJHT is a name known to allJHT is a name known to all

Quote:
It's not roddy that is causing it, it's carlisle for playing him when he doesn't deserve the minutes. The host said and I'm pretty close to a quote "roddy being in the lineup seems like it might be some sort of cancer on the team".
I believe it. You see it on the court. There's an obvious hesitancy to pass to him. You see it all the time. A player looking to pass looks over and sees Roddy wide open, standing there waving his arms... and then sort of has this "meh" look on their face and starts looking around more and eventually passes it to a half-covered Brian Cardinal instead.

You even see it on inbounds passes when Roddy is playing the point and he's the guy they're supposed to pass it too.

The players body language towards Roddy is not good, and they all seem to be constantly yelling at him.

When Roddy makes a good pass to set someone up for a score, you rarely see them high-five him or point at him the way they would if Kidd or JET did it.

Last edited by JHT; 04-07-2011 at 12:02 PM.
JHT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 12:16 PM   #1693
mavs777
Diamond Member

mavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant future

Quote:
I would have stevenson and peja starting. Marion/jet off the bench and ending.
same here, maybe if Corey plays well in next 3 or so games I would go to Corey/Peja
mavs777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 12:40 PM   #1694
rmacomic
Platinum Member

rmacomic has a reputation beyond reputermacomic has a reputation beyond reputermacomic has a reputation beyond reputermacomic has a reputation beyond reputermacomic has a reputation beyond reputermacomic has a reputation beyond reputermacomic has a reputation beyond reputermacomic has a reputation beyond reputermacomic has a reputation beyond reputermacomic has a reputation beyond reputermacomic has a reputation beyond repute

I don't get all the Roddy bitching going on lately. Isn't this what the fans wanted, giving Roddy playing time even at the cost of losing games? I like that the MBT hasn't backed off the game-plan. Is it frustrating at times? You bet. The kid is going to make mistakes, but this is what the coaches, players, and fans were preaching all year during Roddy's injury. I hate that we are losing games, but we expected as much with Roddy and were willing to take the chance. I say ride it out, even if it costs us this year. We are not favoured to get past either the Spurs or the Lakers this year, and giving Roddy less time isn't going to change that. There is still a chance the kid, and in turn the team, might put it together this year. Who knows, he might be saving something for the play-offs.
Old 04-07-2011, 01:22 PM   #1695
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

The biggest problem with Roddy is Jason Terry - the worse JET plays, the more we depend on Roddy to do something, ANYTHING, but he's just not cut out to be a (positive) game-changer yet...

But I guess in this case, it's better to roll with the devil you don't know than the devil you do know because none of us are surprised to see Terry play like he has lately...

These days being a fan is a competition to see who can be the most upset when
your team loses. That proves you love winning more. That's how it works.

Last edited by Underdog; 04-07-2011 at 01:27 PM.
Underdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 01:25 PM   #1696
She_Growls
Golden Member

She_Growls is a name known to allShe_Growls is a name known to allShe_Growls is a name known to allShe_Growls is a name known to allShe_Growls is a name known to allShe_Growls is a name known to allShe_Growls is a name known to allShe_Growls is a name known to allShe_Growls is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmacomic View Post
I don't get all the Roddy bitching going on lately. Isn't this what the fans wanted, giving Roddy playing time even at the cost of losing games? I like that the MBT hasn't backed off the game-plan. Is it frustrating at times? You bet. The kid is going to make mistakes, but this is what the coaches, players, and fans were preaching all year during Roddy's injury. I hate that we are losing games, but we expected as much with Roddy and were willing to take the chance. I say ride it out, even if it costs us this year. We are not favoured to get past either the Spurs or the Lakers this year, and giving Roddy less time isn't going to change that. There is still a chance the kid, and in turn the team, might put it together this year. Who knows, he might be saving something for the play-offs.
Wow, a sane post. Thanks!
She_Growls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 01:35 PM   #1697
b_o_r
Golden Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underdog View Post
The biggest problem with Roddy is Jason Terry - the worse JET plays, the more we depend on Roddy to do something, ANYTHING, but he's just not cut out to be a (positive) game-changer yet...

But I guess in this case, it's better to roll with the devil you don't know than the devil you do know because none of us are surprised to see Terry play like he has lately...
I guess I am the only one who is surprised at his play. His attitude has been downright atrocious. I thought last year he came back to early from the broken orbital, especially since Roddy was tearing up the joint. He could have used a couple more games off to let himself adjust to the face mask.
Old 04-07-2011, 01:42 PM   #1698
Windmill360
Diamond Member

Windmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond repute

You say ride RB even if it costs us games? Why not just send him to the dleague? This is probably the last we see of this core together with there being a lockout next season. This is their final shot at anything before rebuilding happens. Its a miracle we've had this many chances.

Last edited by Windmill360; 04-07-2011 at 01:44 PM.
Windmill360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 01:54 PM   #1699
Kidd Karma
Diamond Member

Kidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windmill360 View Post
You say ride RB even if it costs us games? Why not just send him to the dleague? This is probably the last we see of this core together with there being a lockout next season. This is their final shot at anything before rebuilding happens. Its a miracle we've had this many chances.
Sit Roddy, bring him off the bench in Jet's role. Give Jet minimal miniutes, he ain't helping us win right now. That's how you deal with vets, if they're underperforming, you have to light the fire some how. Taking away minutes is one way. You can't expect someone unproven in the playoffs like Jet to turn it on and off. You have to go with Boobs in Jet's role. Start Deshawn or Brewer at the 2, and go to a zone to start the game.
Kidd Karma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 03:50 PM   #1700
dude1394
Guru

replacing jet with roddy would cause an absolute mutiny imo.
Old 04-07-2011, 05:20 PM   #1701
JeffViggiano
Banned

JeffViggiano will become famous soon enoughJeffViggiano will become famous soon enough

Quote:
replacing jet with roddy would cause an absolute mutiny imo.
probable.
but if it happens that confirm our roster is putrid.bleah

if JET plays well he will plays over 30minutes if not he will benched than other players.
Old 04-07-2011, 08:53 PM   #1702
JHT

JHT is a name known to allJHT is a name known to allJHT is a name known to allJHT is a name known to allJHT is a name known to allJHT is a name known to allJHT is a name known to allJHT is a name known to allJHT is a name known to allJHT is a name known to allJHT is a name known to all

Quote:
I think what you're missing is that it isn't frustrating AT TIMES it is frustrating ALL TIMES. It's not like he's brilliant every other game, or he takes a few plays off but then does something great the next play. He's just bad, lost, confused, and the rest of the team is angry at him almost all of the time.

The idea of letting Roddy play even if we lost games was based on the notion that somewhere inside that little French guard was at least some part of the guy we saw last year.

It isn't. He isn't. He got the playing time we all wanted, we have all seen what he has. He has not improved at all, actually he seems to get mostly worse every game. He's not the same player he was last year, in any way. So, obviously that isn't working.

You don't lock yourself into something and then just keep doing it no matter how much evidence there is that it's not going to work.

Roddy has had maybe 5 decent games as a Mavs since he's been back. That's just... sad. Depressing. Not good. Why can't you see that?
JHT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 09:21 PM   #1703
rmacomic
Platinum Member

rmacomic has a reputation beyond reputermacomic has a reputation beyond reputermacomic has a reputation beyond reputermacomic has a reputation beyond reputermacomic has a reputation beyond reputermacomic has a reputation beyond reputermacomic has a reputation beyond reputermacomic has a reputation beyond reputermacomic has a reputation beyond reputermacomic has a reputation beyond reputermacomic has a reputation beyond repute

I think you're missing the point. It sucks we are losing, but what else would we do? Start Terry, or Brewer? I could argue faults in anyone else they could play. We are stuck at this point with Roddy, deal with it or find another team to root for. I hear there is still room on the Heat bandwagon.
Old 04-07-2011, 10:51 PM   #1704
j0Shi
Diamond Member

j0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond repute

You don't have to replace Roddy with JET, because Terry is already plaing starters minutes. And behind JET we don't have other options at the 2. Brewer played absolutely terrific against the Nuggets but that was one game and I doubt he has enough time to show that he could be a legit option before the playoffs start. So we have to live with it.

Forget the "Free Roddy" agenda for now. It's over. I was on the bandwagon for a long time, but he won't be the savior this season. Right now everything we got out of Roddy is a plus, but the team lives and dies with his veterans. They have to carry the team, Roddy clearly can't.
j0Shi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 10:54 PM   #1705
xrobx
Diamond Member

xrobx has a reputation beyond reputexrobx has a reputation beyond reputexrobx has a reputation beyond reputexrobx has a reputation beyond reputexrobx has a reputation beyond reputexrobx has a reputation beyond reputexrobx has a reputation beyond reputexrobx has a reputation beyond reputexrobx has a reputation beyond reputexrobx has a reputation beyond reputexrobx has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I think you're missing the point. It sucks we are losing, but what else would we do? Start Terry, or Brewer? I could argue faults in anyone else they could play. We are stuck at this point with Roddy, deal with it or find another team to root for. I hear there is still room on the Heat bandwagon.
i'm fine starting brewer.
xrobx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 11:24 PM   #1706
mavs777
Diamond Member

mavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrobx View Post
i'm fine starting brewer.
If you start Brewer I think you have to start Peja because that simply is not a good enough shooting lineup or will have enough spacing with the starting lineup
Old 04-07-2011, 11:26 PM   #1707
mac222b
Diamond Member

mac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond repute

Roddy has been way less than impressive so far in his abbreviated season. But everyone needs to chill a little with the doom and gloom.

Two of the best point guards in the game, Nash&Rondo, started off slowly early in their careers. Kevin Johnson had a rough 1st season after 4 YEARS!! at Cal. Give Roddy a break, he's still learning the game. And the English language. Anyone who makes huge statements claiming to know that Roddy wont ever be any good or a "real" point guard needs to look at history&remember the kid's talent. Chauncey Billups went 3rd overall to the Celtics and then Pitino traded him halfway through his first season. NBA history is littered with guards that looked like busts early on. This is still essentially Roddy's first season. He needs time and he'll be fine.
mac222b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 12:54 AM   #1708
mavs777
Diamond Member

I don't see many people saying Roddy will never be good other than Dude who hasn't really been high on his potential rather than others. Just like Underdog I feel this year is a lost season for him and he needs an off season to clear his mind, work in weight room, summer league, and regain his confidence. But right now he is not helping the mavs.
Old 04-08-2011, 01:05 PM   #1709
j0Shi
Diamond Member

j0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
The 3-Guard Lineup is a weapon Rick Carlisle constantly used this season whenever nothing else was working or the matchups seemed favorable. Digging into the numbers I was surprised to realize that the 3-Guard Lineup was used in about 20% of the possessions this season. You have to be careful though because this kind of lineup was used out of necessity for a certain stretch in the season with DeShawn Stevenson playing at the Small Forward spot.

While it certainly gave the Dallas Mavericks an edge in some games, the efficiencies advise to continue to use it wisely going forward as it was not as efficient as the more traditional lineups. On both ends of the floor the team statistically has suffered while using the 3-Guard Lineup. If you take away games in which Carlisle had to play Stevenson as part of the Forward rotation you'll end up with even worse ratings (Off: 102.99 Def: 105.73). So why is Carlisle temped to use the 3-Guard Lineup that frequently? Because some combinations do work. We'll get back to that later on but will take care of some basic stuff first.
Roddy B. in 3-Guard Lineups
Old 04-08-2011, 01:37 PM   #1710
Kidd Karma
Diamond Member

Kidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac222b View Post
Roddy has been way less than impressive so far in his abbreviated season. But everyone needs to chill a little with the doom and gloom.

Two of the best point guards in the game, Nash&Rondo, started off slowly early in their careers. Kevin Johnson had a rough 1st season after 4 YEARS!! at Cal. Give Roddy a break, he's still learning the game. And the English language. Anyone who makes huge statements claiming to know that Roddy wont ever be any good or a "real" point guard needs to look at history&remember the kid's talent. Chauncey Billups went 3rd overall to the Celtics and then Pitino traded him halfway through his first season. NBA history is littered with guards that looked like busts early on. This is still essentially Roddy's first season. He needs time and he'll be fine.
Nash and Rondo have done well. I think our expectations for Roddy are really, really high. With the inconsistency, every move he makes is under a magnifying glass, because he was the "ACE" we held when Caron went down. I think Roddy will be fine, Caron had chemistry issues with us late last season, but that was smoothed out with a full camp. Right now, our mistake was banking on Roddy to save the season when Caron went down.
Kidd Karma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 01:52 PM   #1711
JeffViggiano
Banned

the fakers go for three-peat with Artest on SF.instead we play with 3 guards...not bad.
Old 04-09-2011, 03:11 PM   #1712
b_o_r
Golden Member

I didn't think it could get worst for him until he missed that dunk and then missed the 2 FT's on the bail-out foul call. Its funny of how fleeting confidence can be . He had built up some momentum, produce 2 of his best games of the year POR/GS and he hasn't been seen since. His last 10 games, 7.4 pts on 36% shooting, 3.2 fouls, 2.4 TO's in 18 minutes.

Here's hoping that the impending lockout allows him to go back to France and hook up with his former coaches to re-engineer his jump shot.

Question for BG?
I know he is speaking English better, but has Roddy ever had a team appointed translator or even his own translator with him on court/at the games with him?
Old 04-09-2011, 03:40 PM   #1713
SeanL

SeanL is infamous around these partsSeanL is infamous around these partsSeanL is infamous around these partsSeanL is infamous around these parts

I think we need to stop screwing around with Roddy at the two. Clearly he is more comfortable right now as a SG, but he needs to get over that because he'll ultimately have to play the 1 at some point. We just need to realize that he is a multiple year project at PG, and not a short term solution to anything right now.

Last edited by SeanL; 04-09-2011 at 03:41 PM.
SeanL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 03:58 PM   #1714
b_o_r
Golden Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by j0Shi View Post
Another great piece. I think the lineup with him in it is more effective because Roddy has shown he is more than capable in defending less physical 2's and some 3's. Because SG and SF aren't really involve with PnR's, his man to man defense gets to shine. For someone of his physical stature (short and skinny), he's pretty bullish in that department. Kudos to Casey and Caron (peep the video's of Butler posting up Roddy last year in practice. Roddy offers no resistance) on that aspect of his game. I believe his pick and roll defense will come around when he becomes better at the communication aspect of the game.
Old 04-09-2011, 08:50 PM   #1715
j0Shi
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by b_o_r View Post
Another great piece. I think the lineup with him in it is more effective because Roddy has shown he is more than capable in defending less physical 2's and some 3's. Because SG and SF aren't really involve with PnR's, his man to man defense gets to shine. For someone of his physical stature (short and skinny), he's pretty bullish in that department. Kudos to Casey and Caron (peep the video's of Butler posting up Roddy last year in practice. Roddy offers no resistance) on that aspect of his game. I believe his pick and roll defense will come around when he becomes better at the communication aspect of the game.
I definitely think Roddy picked his spot there. He surely knows that his offensive game isn't working right know and therefore works twice as hard on the defensive end. It's actually fun to watch him on the defensive end. How he chases down his man and such things. Another interesting fact I stumbled upon today is that, aside all his struggles on the offensive end, he is one of the better Spot-Up shooters we have. He converts them at 47.5% (47.2% from beyond the arc). That's huge. I really have no clue why they don't use him more like Stevenson then. Nearly 50% of Stevensons shots are Spot-Ups, only 16% of Roddys are. We know he should be capable of doing more, but that could be a way to get him started. And its certainly better than handing him the ball and just wait for him to do anything with it.
Old 04-09-2011, 09:22 PM   #1716
BGMaverick9
Guru

BGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by b_o_r View Post
I didn't think it could get worst for him until he missed that dunk and then missed the 2 FT's on the bail-out foul call. Its funny of how fleeting confidence can be . He had built up some momentum, produce 2 of his best games of the year POR/GS and he hasn't been seen since. His last 10 games, 7.4 pts on 36% shooting, 3.2 fouls, 2.4 TO's in 18 minutes.

Here's hoping that the impending lockout allows him to go back to France and hook up with his former coaches to re-engineer his jump shot.

Question for BG?
I know he is speaking English better, but has Roddy ever had a team appointed translator or even his own translator with him on court/at the games with him?
Not that I know of...I don't think the issue is anywhere near the issue that it was last season.
Old 04-09-2011, 09:54 PM   #1717
b_o_r
Golden Member

Quote:
I definitely think Roddy picked his spot there. He surely knows that his offensive game isn't working right know and therefore works twice as hard on the defensive end. It's actually fun to watch him on the defensive end. How he chases down his man and such things. Another interesting fact I stumbled upon today is that, aside all his struggles on the offensive end, he is one of the better Spot-Up shooters we have. He converts them at 47.5% (47.2% from beyond the arc). That's huge. I really have no clue why they don't use him more like Stevenson then. Nearly 50% of Stevensons shots are Spot-Ups, only 16% of Roddys are. We know he should be capable of doing more, but that could be a way to get him started. And its certainly better than handing him the ball and just wait for him to do anything with it.
You are full of stats today. There are too many spot up shooters on the team. Someone has to setup set them up. The Mavs definitely have a offensive vision of what they want him to be--drive and dish, but that vision didn't include the toll the injury would take on other aspects of his game. I don't remember his dribble being this bad last year. He looked silky smooth weaving into the lane. Now he loses control of it off his foot/leg when he drives and sometimes he isn't even being touched. I know he talked about having trouble planting/cutting after running straight when he came back.

I guess you got to give the coaching staff credit. They are sticking to their plan whatever it is(so far). They are not going to sacrifice the later for the now. Roddy's just going to have to deal.
Old 04-09-2011, 10:04 PM   #1718
b_o_r
Golden Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BGMaverick9 View Post
Not that I know of...I don't think the issue is anywhere near the issue that it was last season.

When are you going to put a link to the mavs official page in your sig?
Old 04-10-2011, 03:49 AM   #1719
mac222b
Diamond Member

mac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Hey man.Thanks for all the stats&stuff you provide. Good stuff. Much appreciated.

Last edited by mac222b; 04-10-2011 at 03:50 AM.
mac222b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 10:19 AM   #1720
dude1394
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windmill360 View Post
All he's doing is repeating what has been said for months about roddy. Play him even if it costs games, but then if if it actually happens the heads snap around so fast that they get whiplash. Hoisting upon their own petards as it were.

Tags
"boo boo", broussard mav hater, b_o_r_i_n_g, doghouse, easy win, employé numéro huit, flying frenchman, free roddy b's foot, jeff's vagina monologues, mikefisherhypemachine, myroddybucketisfull, overrated pos, roddy = rondo but better, rudy!rudy!rudy!, the future, wankingoff to roddy vid