Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 04-11-2011, 08:49 AM   #1721
She_Growls
Golden Member

She_Growls is a name known to allShe_Growls is a name known to allShe_Growls is a name known to allShe_Growls is a name known to allShe_Growls is a name known to allShe_Growls is a name known to allShe_Growls is a name known to allShe_Growls is a name known to allShe_Growls is a name known to all

Rodrigue Beaubois has plenty to learn
Mavs sticking with young guard during struggles in effort to get him ready for playoffs
By Jeff Caplan

DALLAS -- As Rodrigue Beaubois dressed after Friday night's win over the Los Angeles Clippers, a particularly poor performance in a string of duds for the Dallas Mavericks' second-year guard, he engaged in a casual interview with a French-speaking camera crew.

They talked soccer, and a somber Beaubois -- who had just gone 0-of-7 and again seemed lost and overwhelmed on the floor -- was able to crack a brief smile when his other favorite team, Real Madrid, was the topic.

Beaubois slipped a pinstriped suit jacket over his pristinely pressed white Oxford and was offered a compliment on his fashion chops. He again managed a smile, this time chuckling as he shook his head and looked down at his black dress shoes.

"I can't play," he said softly, his French accent still thick. "The least I can do is dress good."

Rodrigue Beaubois wound up with almost as many personal fouls (four) as points (five) in 12 minutes against the Suns.
He is his toughest critic. The reviews through 26 games this season are discouraging. Things didn't get any better for the lithe, 6-foot-2 starting shooting guard, who, once upon a time, was hailed as the ultimate X factor for an already streaking team.

"Everybody's thinking that he's the savior," point guard Jason Kidd said. "It's just hard. Everybody saw the one game against San Antonio [in Game 6 of the first-round playoff series] and, unfortunately, we can't all sit back and be a couch quarterback."

In Sunday's feel-good, 115-90 romp over the Phoenix Suns, happiness eluded Roddy B yet again. He opened the game actually looking as loose as he has in some time. Perhaps it was a product of playing alongside Kidd again instead of in place of him during two ugly attempts to play the point as Kidd rested.

It wouldn't take long, though, for the question to crop back up: Can the Mavs afford to be patient with Beaubois' steep learning curve and the playoffs starting this week? Mavs coach Rick Carlisle has consistently restated his commitment to keeping Beaubois in the starting lineup.

"I'm not going to bail on the kid," Carlisle said.

Said Beaubois: "That he says that means a lot. But, we have plenty of players capable of doing great things so I have to step up. I definitely have to because all of my teammates, the coaches have confidence. They trust me, so I need to step up my game and be ready to help the team win games."

Beaubois, 23, had to first battle regaining confidence in the broken left foot that kept him out of the first 54 games of the season. Thrown into the starting lineup on a team full of 30-something veterans after one game, he has struggled to fit in, and fouls have taken him off the floor just as Carlisle is desperately trying to keep him on it.

"I know that there were some big expectations, but I mean it is a good thing. It's always good to see that [people] believe in what you can do," Beaubois said. "I really want to reach that goal. My goal was to come for the season and be ready right away. The injury changed a lot of things, but the goal is still the same right now.

"I'm struggling a little bit, so I just need to keep working; keep working is the only thing I can do. The most important thing is to be ready for the playoffs and so, yeah, I just need to keep working and find a way to get off this bad period."

Beaubois had a couple of early assists Sunday, including a nice scoop pass from under the basket to a slashing Shawn Marion in the paint. He hit a 3-pointer to get on the board after missing his first two shots. But then the quick fouls came again -- two in a 2:23 span.

With 6:43 to go in the quarter, Beaubois made the slow walk to the bench and stayed there the remainder of the half, a bystander as the Mavs raced by the ragged Suns to a 65-39 halftime lead.

"It's not about just having patience," Marion said. "It's about trying to get him in a groove again and in the flow of things. He's still a work in progress. ... As a team we've just got to be behind him and support him. That's the best thing we can do right now."

Beaubois started the third quarter. He missed another 3-pointer. Then a defensive foul followed by an offensive foul in the span of seven seconds forced him to drag his drooping shoulders back to the bench after just two minutes, 36 seconds.

"For sure, I can be more confident," Beaubois said. "Right now it is a learning process so I am listening to a lot of things, a lot of people, just trying to get better. Right now I am thinking a lot, but I have to use that for the last games and when the playoffs come I have to be ready."

Beaubois would get back into Sunday's game with less than four minutes left in a round of meaningless garbage time. Time is running out before the playoffs.

"We've got two games left to put him in as many different positions and circumstances that he can learn from," Kidd said. "It's tough, especially when you got a team that's fighting for a championship and every possession means something, and every time that you have the ball it has to lead to something. Being young, you sometimes don't understand that, and that's what we're helping him with."

The "Free Roddy B" movement sure was a hoot a year ago. At the moment, the affable and polite Beaubois is a prisoner in his overworked mind. He is struggling on both ends, although Carlisle, and even owner Mark Cuban, are holding up defense as one area of positive growth.

On the offensive end, where the Mavs had hoped for a steady dose of the kid's quick penetrations, he is averaging 8.9 points on 42.5 percent shooting -- 31.3 percent from 3-point range -- and 2.4 assists in 18.6 minutes. He's scored in double figures twice in the last 10 games. He has attempted 28 free throws in 26 games and has jacked 80 shots from beyond the arc. He has accumulated 70 fouls.

"Beaubois knows what's going on, he understands," Carlisle said. "We want him to be aggressive and sometimes that leads to fouls. And if it does, sometimes he gets pulled, sometimes we roll with him. We've seen this movie a lot and, again, it's just part of his whole learning curve."

It certainly sounds as though Beaubois will be the Mavs' starting shooting guard when they open the playoffs next weekend. The alternatives are DeShawn Stevenson or Corey Brewer, who started at the 2 on Friday when Kidd sat.

Stevenson hasn't shot well for a couple months and prior to Sunday's game Carlisle said to wait and see if Brewer is even active for Game 1 before anointing him playing time, never mind a starting job.

Kidd said it's still too early to pull the plug on Beaubois as a starter.

"But, understanding that in the playoffs, if you get off to a slow start you don't always want to be climbing uphill," Kidd said. "And also, matchups are a big thing, too, but coach will make that decision."

Beaubois was asked if he wants to remain the starter.

"That is going to be a coaching decision," he said. "Corey played great [Friday] and the night before. Obviously, he is doing a great job, so he [Carlisle] could decide to go differently. I would be the first one to support my teammates because Corey has been great.

"We want to win, so it's going to be a coaching decision. There is going to be a choice and I have to be ready whatever he asks me to do."

That choice is apparently made.

Last edited by She_Growls; 04-11-2011 at 08:51 AM.
She_Growls is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-11-2011, 09:06 AM   #1722
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

DevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond repute

"I'm not going to bail on the kid." -Rick

So much for coach hating young guys.

DevinHarriswillstart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 09:47 AM   #1723
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevinHarriswillstart View Post
"I'm not going to bail on the kid." -Rick

So much for coach hating young guys.

+1...but now the RC hata's have just changed targets. They railed on him for roddy for a full year, now they are railing on him for brewer. As jason said..."it's nice to be couch coaches".
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
dude1394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 02:33 PM   #1724
mavsfan1000
Platinum Member

mavsfan1000 is a jewel in the roughmavsfan1000 is a jewel in the roughmavsfan1000 is a jewel in the roughmavsfan1000 is a jewel in the rough

Carlisle still not giving Brewer any respect? Anyways glad he is sticking with Beaubois but I think Brewer definitely has earned some playing time at the 2.
mavsfan1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 03:38 PM   #1725
tsar

tsar is a splendid one to beholdtsar is a splendid one to beholdtsar is a splendid one to beholdtsar is a splendid one to beholdtsar is a splendid one to beholdtsar is a splendid one to beholdtsar is a splendid one to beholdtsar is a splendid one to beholdtsar is a splendid one to beholdtsar is a splendid one to beholdtsar is a splendid one to behold

The kid really has a good head on his shoulders - I think he'll be fine. If things don't pan out this year for him: I still feel like he'll develop into a good/great player if he has a training camp/start of a season under his belt.
Old 04-11-2011, 04:21 PM   #1726
Dirkadirkastan
Diamond Member

Dirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by dude1394 View Post
+1...but now the RC hata's have just changed targets. They railed on him for roddy for a full year, now they are railing on him for brewer. As jason said..."it's nice to be couch coaches".
Too bad Roddy's going through the growing pains this year instead of last year.
Dirkadirkastan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 05:22 PM   #1727
rabbitproof
Diamond Member

rabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Guess RC doesn't think starting + playing Roddy influences the vets' performance - or doesn't care if it does.

watch your thoughts, they become your words
rabbitproof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 05:40 PM   #1728
mavsfan1000
Platinum Member

mavsfan1000 is a jewel in the roughmavsfan1000 is a jewel in the roughmavsfan1000 is a jewel in the roughmavsfan1000 is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbitproof View Post
Guess RC doesn't think starting + playing Roddy influences the vets' performance - or doesn't care if it does.
They are a bunch of tired old players with or without Beaubois in the lineup with the exceptions of Dirk of course. We need more youth on this team. Wish Brewer would take Terry's minutes.
Old 04-11-2011, 06:04 PM   #1729
mavs777
Diamond Member

mavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by mavsfan1000 View Post
They are a bunch of tired old players with or without Beaubois in the lineup with the exceptions of Dirk of course. We need more youth on this team. Wish Brewer would take Terry's minutes.
You don't play youth just because they are young, you play them because they help your team win
mavs777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 06:11 PM   #1730
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

777 > 1000

These days being a fan is a competition to see who can be the most upset when
your team loses. That proves you love winning more. That's how it works.
Underdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 06:58 PM   #1731
mavsfan1000
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mavs777 View Post
You don't play youth just because they are young, you play them because they help your team win
They will do both. You need the energy the youth players bring. They can make things happen more with their athleticism.
Old 04-12-2011, 11:32 AM   #1732
Tom Hanx

Tom Hanx is on a distinguished road

Quote:
yeah what has Rick Carlisle done to prove everyone wrong? everybody said he helped blow the SA series last year and I haven't really heard anyone complain he's not giving brewer enough time but I've thought it myself. RC is a retard and his record with the mavs proves it...
a first round and second round bounce. I wish we could have kept or brought back Avery.
Heather: [moans] making love.
Jibby Newsome: You know what nobody ever told me 'bout making love?
Heather: What?
Jibby Newsome: How borin' it is.
Heather: Yeah!
Jibby Newsome: [pause] You can do anything you want. My safe word is blueberry pancakes.
Tom Hanx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 11:56 AM   #1733
Windmill360
Diamond Member

Windmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond repute

Stevenson should be starting and terry off the bench. I'm tired of this experiment.
Old 04-12-2011, 01:44 PM   #1734
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Hanx View Post
yeah what has Rick Carlisle done to prove everyone wrong? everybody said he helped blow the SA series last year and I haven't really heard anyone complain he's not giving brewer enough time but I've thought it myself. RC is a retard and his record with the mavs proves it...
a first round and second round bounce. I wish we could have kept or brought back Avery.
If you haven't heard the complaints about brewer you have not been listening.
And the same argument is being setup again only with a different player. So many geniuses on the internets.
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
Old 04-12-2011, 03:50 PM   #1735
Budapest Maverick
Platinum Member

Budapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant future

Was i the only one who thought Roddy actually contributed in the win last night, and was decent compared to his latest sucky standards? When he was on Dragic, the slovenian struggled to score or create, and he also had two nice penetration play, where he actually finished with a basket. Don't get me wrong, he was far from great, or even good, but i thought this was definitely a step in the right direction, his body language was better, and was actually agressive again, on both ends.

Last edited by Budapest Maverick; 04-12-2011 at 03:50 PM.
Budapest Maverick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 04:24 PM   #1736
Kidd Karma
Diamond Member

Kidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Budapest Maverick View Post
Was i the only one who thought Roddy actually contributed in the win last night, and was decent compared to his latest sucky standards? When he was on Dragic, the slovenian struggled to score or create, and he also had two nice penetration play, where he actually finished with a basket. Don't get me wrong, he was far from great, or even good, but i thought this was definitely a step in the right direction, his body language was better, and was actually agressive again, on both ends.
Roddy had a nice outing at the Warriors in their first matchup. Brewer had started that game and Ellis just torched him. Roddy move over on Ellis the 2nd half and shut Ellis down. Some of Roddy's technique included jersey grabbing as Ellis rolled off screens trying to free himself.
Kidd Karma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 06:00 PM   #1737
b_o_r
Golden Member

b_o_r has much to be proud ofb_o_r has much to be proud ofb_o_r has much to be proud ofb_o_r has much to be proud ofb_o_r has much to be proud ofb_o_r has much to be proud ofb_o_r has much to be proud ofb_o_r has much to be proud ofb_o_r has much to be proud ofb_o_r has much to be proud ofb_o_r has much to be proud of

Quote:
His defense (man to man) is the only saving grace to his disastrous season but it gets overshadowed by his dumb fouls (ie.. riding Goran on the sideline). He keeps small guards in front of him (except in PnR) and its the reason why he is still in the lineup. He did a very good job against Lawson and he did better against the Suns than the two previous meetings (he actually rolled with the pick setter cutting off the passing lane).

I love the fake pass to Chandler to hit a striding Marion who passed it to Chandler for a open dunk.
b_o_r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 07:22 PM   #1738
tcat075
Diamond Member

tcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
It was the best game he'd had in a while, which isn't saying much. He hit a three, which was huge. He relies heavily on that three ball, and for much of the year it hasn't gone done, which I think is a big reason why he has been struggling. People have clamped down on his explosiveness while giving up some good looks at jumpers and he just can't make 'em pay.
tcat075 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 07:24 PM   #1739
tcat075
Diamond Member

tcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windmill360 View Post
Stevenson should be starting and terry off the bench. I'm tired of this experiment.
Stevenson? The guy who shot 20.8% on threes in March? Eh. Give me Brewer, because while he may hit threes at the same clip, he can do a lot more around the hole.
tcat075 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 07:42 PM   #1740
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

DevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah...not getting why anyone would have faith in Stevenson. I know the bar has been lowered for Roddy but doubtfully that low. No doubt Deshawn played well for the team when Butler was healthy, but he's a third string sg.

DevinHarriswillstart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 10:26 PM   #1741
SlimMavsFan

SlimMavsFan has a spectacular aura aboutSlimMavsFan has a spectacular aura aboutSlimMavsFan has a spectacular aura about

The most baffling thing to me about Beaubois this year is his complete inability to get to the hoop. And then when he does getting his shot swatted into orbit. I figured his shooting would go down since I thought him being a 40% three point shooter at this stage was a bit of a fluke. But to just be so ineffective at penetration... at first I thought that maybe it was the fact that the other teams were well aware of what he could do and were scheming, but then I turn on my TV and Barea is still getting into the lane at will and getting and-ones.

I still feel good about Roddy for the long term, but admittedly not as good as I did at the end of last season. I just don't know how you can justify giving him any minutes in the playoffs. Between his turnovers and Kidd's bricks, the backcourt is closing the season a mess.
SlimMavsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 08:07 AM   #1742
b_o_r
Golden Member

b_o_r has much to be proud ofb_o_r has much to be proud ofb_o_r has much to be proud ofb_o_r has much to be proud ofb_o_r has much to be proud ofb_o_r has much to be proud ofb_o_r has much to be proud ofb_o_r has much to be proud ofb_o_r has much to be proud ofb_o_r has much to be proud ofb_o_r has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlimMavsFan View Post
The most baffling thing to me about Beaubois this year is his complete inability to get to the hoop. And then when he does getting his shot swatted into orbit. I figured his shooting would go down since I thought him being a 40% three point shooter at this stage was a bit of a fluke. But to just be so ineffective at penetration... at first I thought that maybe it was the fact that the other teams were well aware of what he could do and were scheming, but then I turn on my TV and Barea is still getting into the lane at will and getting and-ones.

I still feel good about Roddy for the long term, but admittedly not as good as I did at the end of last season. I just don't know how you can justify giving him any minutes in the playoffs. Between his turnovers and Kidd's bricks, the backcourt is closing the season a mess.
It takes more than straight line speed to get to the hoop in a half court set. You have to stop, start, cut, plant, and weave your way through defenders. He is not doing those things this year as he did last year.

Roddy in the playoffs according to Donnie Nelson via dmn:

Quote:
What are your thoughts on the development of Roddy Beaubois going into the post season? Will he get more than 12-15 minutes per game?

Well, it depends on who we match up with. Roddy is a sophomore, okay? He’s a very exciting, young talent and there are some games where he’ll be the lynchpin and there are others where he won’t. It’s just the route; we got a veteran team and we want to make a run for the roses here. If we go up against really quick, athletic point guards, then there’s a good chance he’ll get the lion’s share of those minutes as he’ll have to guard those guys. We’ll push Jason to the two [shooting guard] and play that nice little two guard combination that has been really successful for us. We’re excited about Roddy’s future and his present; it’s just, in the playoffs, you got to check your egos at the door because who is playing best at the right time and the match ups are the way it’s going to shake down.
I wonder why the bold part from Donnie?
b_o_r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 08:19 AM   #1743
tsar

tsar is a splendid one to beholdtsar is a splendid one to beholdtsar is a splendid one to beholdtsar is a splendid one to beholdtsar is a splendid one to beholdtsar is a splendid one to beholdtsar is a splendid one to beholdtsar is a splendid one to beholdtsar is a splendid one to beholdtsar is a splendid one to beholdtsar is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by b_o_r View Post
It takes more than straight line speed to get to the hoop in a half court set. You have to stop, start, cut, plant, and weave your way through defenders. He is not doing those things this year as he did last year.

Roddy in the playoffs according to Donnie Nelson via dmn:

I wonder why the bold part from Donnie?
He might be talking about Terry in specific match up situations where Roddy might get a little more minutes guarding the quick guards. I doubt Roddy has any sort of ego at this point - his mannerisms and post game comments reveal nothing of the sort. He hasn't played well enough to have an inflated ego.
Old 04-13-2011, 11:51 AM   #1744
mavs777
Diamond Member

mavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant future

At this point I would even prefer to see JJB starting than Roddy, Roddy will be fine after this year, his confidence though is so low that he really is hurting the team on both ends
mavs777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 12:46 PM   #1745
Windmill360
Diamond Member

Windmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond repute

Stevenson should be starting, jjbs offense doesnt suffer coming off the bench. Stevensons obviously does.
Old 04-13-2011, 12:56 PM   #1746
Kidd Karma
Diamond Member

Kidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by mavs777 View Post
At this point I would even prefer to see JJB starting than Roddy, Roddy will be fine after this year, his confidence though is so low that he really is hurting the team on both ends
If JJB can consistently catch and knock the open 3's, whether Kidd's on the block or the perimeter, he should start,with Roddy and Jet off the bench. Preference would be Stevenson starting, but his offense has gone.
Kidd Karma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 08:41 PM   #1747
Windmill360
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcat075 View Post
Stevenson? The guy who shot 20.8% on threes in March? Eh. Give me Brewer, because while he may hit threes at the same clip, he can do a lot more around the hole.
Stevenson hasnt been in the starting lineup forever. Id rather have him come back and regain his shooting than put a player as inconsistent as brewer or rb in there to cost us possessions.
Old 04-13-2011, 10:30 PM   #1748
She_Growls
Golden Member

She_Growls is a name known to allShe_Growls is a name known to allShe_Growls is a name known to allShe_Growls is a name known to allShe_Growls is a name known to allShe_Growls is a name known to allShe_Growls is a name known to allShe_Growls is a name known to allShe_Growls is a name known to all

Now that RC got what he wanted, I think the Mavs should put Roddy on the inactive list for the playoffs and trade him next season for sure. I don't want to see Roddy in a Mavs uniform next season...I think he has a better chance under the development of a Gregg Popovich type coach. Get well soon Roddy. Go Mavs!
Old 04-13-2011, 10:48 PM   #1749
mavsfan1000
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by She_Growls View Post
Now that RC got what he wanted, I think the Mavs should put Roddy on the inactive list for the playoffs and trade him next season for sure. I don't want to see Roddy in a Mavs uniform next season...I think he has a better chance under the development of a Gregg Popovich type coach. Get well soon Roddy. Go Mavs!
How about we let Roddy develop his game during the offseason and reap the benefits of a more prepared Roddy next year. Jumping into the season late was not a good idea for a player that is not fully developed.
Old 04-13-2011, 10:51 PM   #1750
LonghornDub

LonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Yep, RC has been secretly hoping that Roddy would get injured and he wouldn't have to play him. RC hates playing Roddy. That's why he started him every game.

"Your'e a low-mentality drama gay queen!!" -- She_Growls
LonghornDub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 11:05 PM   #1751
She_Growls
Golden Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mavsfan1000 View Post
How about we let Roddy develop his game during the offseason and reap the benefits of a more prepared Roddy next year. Jumping into the season late was not a good idea for a player that is not fully developed.
That would be another option....but this season is a done deal for sure... But I still hope Roddy is put on the inactive list during the playoffs...

Last edited by She_Growls; 04-13-2011 at 11:11 PM.
Old 04-14-2011, 05:35 AM   #1752
JeffViggiano
Banned

JeffViggiano will become famous soon enoughJeffViggiano will become famous soon enough

Quote:
are you so sure RC will be our coach next year???
JeffViggiano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 06:22 AM   #1753
Budapest Maverick
Platinum Member

Budapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant future

Quote:
That would be another option....but this season is a done deal for sure... But I still hope Roddy is put on the inactive list during the playoffs...
Why would it make sense to put Roddy on the inactive list?
Budapest Maverick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 06:53 AM   #1754
mpb319

mpb319 is a jewel in the roughmpb319 is a jewel in the roughmpb319 is a jewel in the rough

Roddy's confidence appears all but lost. He just has that look about him that every call or TO or missed shot he is looking to the bench ready to get pulled. Alot like Devin Harris in his 1st & 2nd years with Avery.
Hopefully next season(if and when there is a next season) he will be healthy and get the kinks worked out in training camp and practice.
I hope he isn't injured badly...but I think him being inactive, allowing us to keep DSteve as the starter and CB13 as an option may be best for the team.
This will allow us to not be so dang small in the back court.

Last edited by mpb319; 04-14-2011 at 06:55 AM.
mpb319 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 07:23 AM   #1755
nwtzk

nwtzk is on a distinguished road

They should postpone the Roddy B. experiment and try to put him into the SG role with Kidd.

Pure Awesomeness
nwtzk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 07:30 AM   #1756
mpb319

mpb319 is a jewel in the roughmpb319 is a jewel in the roughmpb319 is a jewel in the rough

With the playoff bracket the Mavs are in (Portland then LA) Roddy will not be as needed the first 2 rounds.
Portland and LA do not have small fast jitterbug PGs. Both teams have veteran strong PGs that Roddy does not match up well with.
We would be much better matched with Portland with DSteve starting.

PG Kidd VS Miller
SG DSteve VS Mathews
SF Marion VS Wallace/Batum (Depends what lineup the Blazers go with)
PF Dirk VS Aldridge/Wallace
C Chandler VS Camby/Aldridge
mpb319 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 08:12 AM   #1757
dude1394
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffViggiano View Post
are you so sure RC will be our coach next year???
Yes in fact I have some green stuff that would back it up.
Old 04-14-2011, 08:16 AM   #1758
xrobx
Diamond Member

xrobx has a reputation beyond reputexrobx has a reputation beyond reputexrobx has a reputation beyond reputexrobx has a reputation beyond reputexrobx has a reputation beyond reputexrobx has a reputation beyond reputexrobx has a reputation beyond reputexrobx has a reputation beyond reputexrobx has a reputation beyond reputexrobx has a reputation beyond reputexrobx has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Yes in fact I have some green stuff that would back it up.
maybe you should quit smoking it, if we lose to portland he's gone
xrobx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 10:32 AM   #1759
JeffViggiano
Banned

JeffViggiano will become famous soon enoughJeffViggiano will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrobx View Post
if we don't go to the finals he's gone.no way.

see you next year roddy,maybe with a new coach and with a new confidence...tomorrow i will buy your swingman jersey on NBA.com.
i trust in you man
JeffViggiano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 11:14 AM   #1760
dude1394
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrobx View Post
I dont think so. Donnie maybe but not rc.

Last edited by dude1394; 04-14-2011 at 11:14 AM.

Tags
"boo boo", broussard mav hater, b_o_r_i_n_g, doghouse, easy win, employé numéro huit, flying frenchman, free roddy b's foot, jeff's vagina monologues, mikefisherhypemachine, myroddybucketisfull, overrated pos, roddy = rondo but better, rudy!rudy!rudy!, the future, wankingoff to roddy vid