Ridiculously excited. Plan to watch every game (TV gods willing) 7 41.18%
Pretty darn excited. I plan to make some time to watch games and cheer 8 47.06%
Cautiously excited. Let's see how we come out of the gates 2 11.76%
Suspicious. I want to see some good things before I will care. 0 0%
Not excited at all. 0 0%
Voters: 17. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-02-2021, 09:10 AM   #1
JustJay

JustJay is a jewel in the roughJustJay is a jewel in the roughJustJay is a jewel in the roughJustJay is a jewel in the roughJustJay is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevinHarriswillstart View Post
Hardest lesson to learn is never assume anything in NBA FA. Lowry going to Miami or Lakers wouldn't surprise me in the least no matter how the money works.

Remember this is a player run league. If a player wants to go to Miami or LA, then those teams will make it happen.
You mean Derozan right?
JustJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2021, 09:10 AM   #2
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

DevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJay View Post
You mean Derozan right?
Yep. And here is exactly what you were looking for...https://twitter.com/TheNBACentral/st...97121046953986

DevinHarriswillstart is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2021, 09:12 AM   #3
JustJay

JustJay is a jewel in the roughJustJay is a jewel in the roughJustJay is a jewel in the roughJustJay is a jewel in the roughJustJay is a jewel in the rough

If that happens, hopefully we can get Dragic or it's going to be tragic. See what I did there.

/bad joke
Old 08-02-2021, 09:12 AM   #4
JustJay

I'm not assuming it's a done deal, but this is what I was debating with someone like a week ago. I was saying don't be surprised if we strike out again. It's not a coincidence, Luka is great and everyone knows that but that doesn't necessarily mean they want to play with him. He is around the top of the league in amount of time controlling the ball, and some players don't like that. They also might think they fit in better with a culture like Miami than our team with a lot of foreign players to be honest, that's not even mentioning that they'd rather be in Miami than Dallas anyway.

Like I said before don't assume we're some team that players want to join up with until they actually do it because year after year it seems to not happen.

Last edited by JustJay; 08-02-2021 at 09:17 AM.
Old 08-02-2021, 09:36 AM   #5
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

DevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I'm not assuming it's a done deal, but this is what I was debating with someone like a week ago. I was saying don't be surprised if we strike out again. It's not a coincidence, Luka is great and everyone knows that but that doesn't necessarily mean they want to play with him. He is around the top of the league in amount of time controlling the ball, and some players don't like that. They also might think they fit in better with a culture like Miami than our team with a lot of foreign players to be honest, that's not even mentioning that they'd rather be in Miami than Dallas anyway.

Like I said before don't assume we're some team that players want to join up with until they actually do it because year after year it seems to not happen.
Well this is why Lowry made little sense. Lowry wants to be the starting PG. We could make him fit, but he wants to be the lead point. PGs of his caliber won't want to come here to live in Luka's shadow.

And I'm pretty sure most Mavs fans know that players don't want to play here for whatever reason.

It also doesn't help that the f'in Lakers just got Westbrook. That will turn players off from wanting to compete in the west.

Old 08-02-2021, 09:50 AM   #6
G-Man
Platinum Member

G-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
And I'm pretty sure most Mavs fans know that players don't want to play here for whatever reason.
This has been the case since long before Luka. If the reason they didn't want to come here was Carlisle, well that excuse is gone.

As a high income African American man who lived in Dallas for 25 years, I suspect part of it is that Dallas is not a cool place to be rich and black. At least a dozen NBA cities would rank higher.

A lot will depend on what kind of sales job Nico and Kidd can do. They can't do any worse than Rick and Donnie did.
Old 08-02-2021, 09:56 AM   #7
JustJay

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Man View Post
This has been the case since long before Luka. If the reason they didn't want to come here was Carlisle, well that excuse is gone.

As a high income African American man who lived in Dallas for 25 years, I suspect part of it is that Dallas is not a cool place to be rich and black. At least a dozen NBA cities would rank higher.

A lot will depend on what kind of sales job Nico and Kidd can do. They can't do any worse than Rick and Donnie did.
I agree with all of that, but I also question if Cuban is a negative for us. OTTH he may not even cross their mind they just prefer other teams and don't even think much about us at all is the most likely scenario.
Old 08-02-2021, 10:03 AM   #8
tap2390
Diamond Member

tap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond repute

If Demar is going to turn down $15-17m a year to live in Miami and play with Lowry there's nothing anyone could have done. Is it stupid? Yes. Are a lot of players shortsighted when it comes to their preferred destination? Also yes. Look no further than Kawhi giving up $100 million to make his way to LA.
tap2390 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2021, 10:47 AM   #9
SMC0007
Guru

SMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

I wonder how much the city they play ball in really is a factor. Like how much time are they really spending at home. During the season they're practicing, traveling and playing so not a lot of down time. The first thing many of these guys do after the season is to get on another plane and vacation. Unless they have family/ kids that need stability I'm not sure how much the city the play in matters.

you just proofed how stupid you are - CRAZYBOY

Last edited by SMC0007; 08-02-2021 at 10:47 AM.
SMC0007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2021, 11:04 AM   #10
Dtownsfinest
Diamond Member

Dtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant future

Quote:

A dozen? Nah I can't say that.

And the reason why I can't use this as a issue is because the Dallas Cowboys are full of black players....hell Dallas itself is full of rich and black people. Dallas the city isn't the issue.

And if city were an issue the New York Knicks best player would be Lebron or Kevin Durant and not Julius Randle.
Dtownsfinest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2021, 11:12 AM   #11
BPo001
Diamond Member

BPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dtownsfinest View Post

And the reason why I can't use this as a issue is because the Dallas Cowboys are full of black players....hell Dallas itself is full of rich and black people. Dallas the city isn't the issue.

And if city were an issue the New York Knicks best player would be Lebron or Kevin Durant and not Julius Randle.
I’m not sure you can say NY is better than LA where Lebron is, and KD does play in NY. Not sure I understand your argument. Players prob don’t want to play for the Knicks because of their owner.
BPo001 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2021, 12:05 PM   #12
G-Man
Platinum Member

G-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

NFL is no comparison because players there have far less choice, and much shorter careers. Every really good NBA player who's still playing by age 28 gets to choose where he wants to go, and few choose Dallas. Plus, the Cowboys remain a prestige team with the biggest TV audience. Notice how many ex-Cowboys land big time TV gigs? Its the exposure, baby. And the Mavs were pretty much no-shows on national TV until we got Luka.

As for more fun cities, NY, Phily, DC, ATL, LA, MIA, HOU, CHI, NO, BOS, SF, CLT all have more prosperous and vibrant black communities. That's a dozen cities and 14 teams. Meanwhile, Seattle and Portland are just more hip for everyone. Dallas, on the other hand, is just a great place to make a living.
Old 08-02-2021, 09:23 AM   #13
germanmav

germanmav will become famous soon enoughgermanmav will become famous soon enough

What is it that makes people want the Dragon?
Is he anything special these days, besides beeing Lukas Slovenian buddy?
germanmav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2021, 09:35 AM   #14
Dtownsfinest
Diamond Member

Dtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by germanmav View Post
He's a distributor and can shoot. I get why people would want him....I don't get why people would settle for him though lol.
Old 08-02-2021, 09:39 AM   #15
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

Quote:
He's a distributor and can shoot. I get why people would want him....I don't get why people would settle for him though lol.
Oh, it isn't a "Mavs fans" that want to settle for him scenario. The lovely FO might have to "settle" for him if they can't get anyone else to play here, and we just have to accept it.

And it's still sad that he would be an upgrade over basically 90% of our team.

Old 08-02-2021, 10:58 AM   #16
Dtownsfinest
Diamond Member

Quote:
Oh, it isn't a "Mavs fans" that want to settle for him scenario. The lovely FO might have to "settle" for him if they can't get anyone else to play here, and we just have to accept it.

And it's still sad that he would be an upgrade over basically 90% of our team.
Ehh...I think he's a role player. I don't think he's capable of taking over games. I like his game but I just don't know if I spend 10-15 million on a bench player like him....
Old 08-02-2021, 09:23 AM   #17
germanmav

germanmav will become famous soon enoughgermanmav will become famous soon enough

germanmav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2021, 09:45 AM   #18
JustJay

Quote:
Originally Posted by germanmav View Post
Making one of the best players in the league happy is not a bad thing.
Old 08-02-2021, 09:50 AM   #19
JustJay

Oh there's other players I'd rather have than Dragic, just not sure we can get them. Would love to get Norman Powell.
Old 08-02-2021, 10:50 AM   #20
JustJay

I remember when we used to think players would come here because they're from Dallas, like Chris Bosh. But he said he never thought about playing for the Mavs because when he was younger they weren't any good in the 90s. But by now, you would think these players saw Dirk when they were young. But it doesn't seem to make any difference. The bad thing is without good first round picks and if we continue to strike out in free agency, we only have 1 route to go and that's trades, and we don't have a whole lot to trade maybe KP, Maxi and/or DFS.
Old 08-02-2021, 11:04 AM   #21
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

Depth chart before free agency opens
KP/WCS/Boban/Powell/Brown
???/Kleber/???
DFS/???/???/???
???/???/Green/Hinton
Doncic/Brunson/Burke/Terry

cap space
roughly 34 mill in cap space

Expiring deals
THJ - full bird rights to re-sign to anything we'd like up to the max for his experience
Reddick - retire? Vet min?
Melli - early bird rights, opting to play in Europe

Last edited by EricaLubarsky; 08-02-2021 at 11:06 AM.
EricaLubarsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2021, 11:13 AM   #22
BPo001
Diamond Member

BPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond repute

The Lakers project to have just the $5 million exception, and still have the free agencies of Alex Caruso and Talen Horton-Tucker to contend with. L.A. is expected to explore sign-and-trade scenarios with Dennis Schröder—who would have to consent—but it’s unclear what the market for Schröder, who rejected a four-year, $84 million extension last spring, will look like. Chicago, Miami and Dallas are among the teams expected to show interest in Schröder, who shot 33.5% from three last season. – via Chris Mannix @ Sports Illustrated

Because someone mentioned Boban..

Marc Stein: Extreme confidence in Dallas that they will re-sign popular center Boban Marjanovic, league sources say. More free agency from me all week via marcstein.substack.com 20 hours ago – via Twitter TheSteinLine
Old 08-02-2021, 11:49 AM   #23
Dtownsfinest
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPo001 View Post
The Lakers project to have just the $5 million exception, and still have the free agencies of Alex Caruso and Talen Horton-Tucker to contend with. L.A. is expected to explore sign-and-trade scenarios with Dennis Schröder—who would have to consent—but it’s unclear what the market for Schröder, who rejected a four-year, $84 million extension last spring, will look like. Chicago, Miami and Dallas are among the teams expected to show interest in Schröder, who shot 33.5% from three last season. – via Chris Mannix @ Sports Illustrated

Marc Stein: Extreme confidence in Dallas that they will re-sign popular center Boban Marjanovic, league sources say. More free agency from me all week via marcstein.substack.com 20 hours ago – via Twitter TheSteinLine
TLH is a free agent? Didn't know that....would not be mad at him at all.
Old 08-02-2021, 11:14 AM   #24
BPo001
Diamond Member

Old 08-02-2021, 11:18 AM   #25
JustJay

If we end up with the same team and only add Dennis Schroder, I am going to need to drink a lot. I am not a fan of him at all. He chucked his way out of L.A. if he does leave just to try to land a big contract somewhere.

He's another Noel who should have taken that 4/84.

Last edited by JustJay; 08-02-2021 at 11:22 AM.
Old 08-02-2021, 11:23 AM   #26
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
If we end up with the same team and only add Dennis Schroder, I am going to need to drink a lot. I am not a fan of him at all. He chucked his way out of L.A. if he does leave just to try to land a big contract somewhere.

He's another Noel who should have taken that 4/84.
What if we trade THJ for Schroeder and add Holmes? That seems like a decent projection for the offseason based on the cap space, Doncic's max extension, and the lack of assets.
Old 08-02-2021, 11:25 AM   #27
JustJay

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricaLubarsky View Post
What if we trade THJ for Schroeder and add Holmes? That seems like a decent projection for the offseason based on the cap space, Doncic's max extension, and the lack of assets.
He's going to think he's on the same level as Luka, because he already thought he was on the same level as Lebron.

He tried to get assurance from his agent that he would be starting on the Lakers the season after they won the championship without him and came out and said that was going to happen. Doesn't seem like any type of team player to me.

And this

https://nba.nbcsports.com/2021/06/30...lion-contract/

I almost would rather have THJ.

Last edited by JustJay; 08-02-2021 at 11:30 AM.
Old 08-02-2021, 11:29 AM   #28
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

Quote:
I talked about Schroeder early on. Feel like that's a FO settle plan waiting to happen.

Old 08-02-2021, 11:49 AM   #29
JustJay

I mean if we can get Schroder for MLE or maybe as high as 12-13 mil sure I'll roll the dice and he'd be tradable if he causes any chemistry issues. But if we give him 20+ mil I might throw up.
Old 08-02-2021, 12:10 PM   #30
JustJay

Someone brought up the Cowboys having black players lol all the good ones were drafted there except Cooper. I don't think they've had a big free agent acquisition since Deion Sanders. Ok T.O. but he was released by multiple teams before the Cowboys.
Old 08-02-2021, 12:11 PM   #31
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

Michael Mulford
@TheMulf
·
9m
On Simmons’ pod, Jackie MacMullan said she heard that Lauri Markkanen wants to go to Dallas to team up with Luka and KP.
Old 08-02-2021, 12:11 PM   #32
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

Michael Mulford
@TheMulf
·
9m
On Simmons’ pod, Jackie MacMullan said she heard that Lauri Markkanen wants to go to Dallas to team up with Luka and KP.
Old 08-02-2021, 12:19 PM   #33
JustJay

Quote:
Michael Mulford
@TheMulf
·
9m
We would have to trade KP there's no way Lauri and KP would work together.

We need a big 3 or 4 team blockbuster where we get Lauri + another good player and give away KP and Powell or somebody.

Last edited by JustJay; 08-02-2021 at 12:21 PM.
Old 08-02-2021, 02:19 PM   #34
sig

sig is a jewel in the roughsig is a jewel in the roughsig is a jewel in the roughsig is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
We would have to trade KP there's no way Lauri and KP would work together.

We need a big 3 or 4 team blockbuster where we get Lauri + another good player and give away KP and Powell or somebody.
With toronto drafting Barnes and shopping Siakum then maybe KP to Toronto for Siakum. They need bigs and Barnes/OGA can play the forward positions. Maybe they'd like home boy powell to help with center depth.
sig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2021, 02:09 PM   #35
JustJay

Why would anyone leave the Cowboys. If you're good (good does not mean all time great just good) Jerry will make you the highest paid player for your position in the entire league. He did it with Dak, Zeke, Amari, Demarcus Lawrence, some of the o line too. And they've never sniffed a Super Bowl.

Meanwhile look at the Patriots, no one including Brady got top dollar and they won 6.

Last edited by JustJay; 08-02-2021 at 02:13 PM.
Old 08-02-2021, 02:29 PM   #36
Dtownsfinest
Diamond Member

Quote:
Why would anyone leave the Cowboys. If you're good (good does not mean all time great just good) Jerry will make you the highest paid player for your position in the entire league. He did it with Dak, Zeke, Amari, Demarcus Lawrence, some of the o line too. And they've never sniffed a Super Bowl.

Meanwhile look at the Patriots, no one including Brady got top dollar and they won 6.
Byron Jones left and became the highest paid corner in the league for the Miami Dolphins.

And in 2010 Tom Brady was the highest paid player in the NFL.
Old 08-02-2021, 02:20 PM   #37
JustJay

Mutual interest between the Knicks and Demar Derozan https://sny.tv/articles/knicks-free-agency-notes-8-2-21
Old 08-02-2021, 02:37 PM   #38
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

Quote:
Mutual interest between the Knicks and Demar Derozan https://sny.tv/articles/knicks-free-agency-notes-8-2-21
Stein has already reported that Derozan is likely going to Miami with Lowry. I suppose anything can still happen, but I'd say it's 90% likely at this point.

Old 08-02-2021, 02:59 PM   #39
Bryan_Wilson
Diamond Member

Bryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond repute

I still don't think Derozan is going to Miami. Stein said they are looking for SnT options for Derozan, meaning he's not taking the MLE to get there. They are also trying to keep Robinson, who reportedly could be offered deals in the 15-20m per range and not lose Herro either.

I'd be legit shocked if San Antonio helped Miami with a SnT when they can't offer them anything to make it worthwhile.
Bryan_Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2021, 03:08 PM   #40
Dtownsfinest
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan_Wilson View Post
I still don't think Derozan is going to Miami. Stein said they are looking for SnT options for Derozan, meaning he's not taking the MLE to get there. They are also trying to keep Robinson, who reportedly could be offered deals in the 15-20m per range and not lose Herro either.

I'd be legit shocked if San Antonio helped Miami with a SnT when they can't offer them anything to make it worthwhile.
Heat are trying to do A LOT and I know they have 20 million but that doesn't seem like enough to do what they're trying to accomplish.

Tags
jack.kerr aucks