Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Everything Else > Political Arena

Old 09-16-2008, 12:06 AM   #161
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

more efficient...? don't have to ship it as far?
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-16-2008, 12:08 AM   #162
rmacomic
Platinum Member

rmacomic has a reputation beyond reputermacomic has a reputation beyond reputermacomic has a reputation beyond reputermacomic has a reputation beyond reputermacomic has a reputation beyond reputermacomic has a reputation beyond reputermacomic has a reputation beyond reputermacomic has a reputation beyond reputermacomic has a reputation beyond reputermacomic has a reputation beyond reputermacomic has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by chumdawg
I think we are now past the days when Palin made any impact on this race.
You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to chumdawg again.

Give it two more weeks, everyone else will see her as a punchline.
Old 09-16-2008, 12:08 AM   #163
wmbwinn
Platinum Member

wmbwinn has much to be proud ofwmbwinn has much to be proud ofwmbwinn has much to be proud ofwmbwinn has much to be proud ofwmbwinn has much to be proud ofwmbwinn has much to be proud ofwmbwinn has much to be proud ofwmbwinn has much to be proud ofwmbwinn has much to be proud ofwmbwinn has much to be proud ofwmbwinn has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by dude1394
I'll let someone else do it. Not the media, for sure.
http://www.commentarymagazine.com/bl...hp/rubin/30252

I was looking for more information about how the Alaskan people feel about the silly charges and accusations against Sarah...

I found it:

"Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes...Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man." -Thomas Jefferson
wmbwinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 12:10 AM   #164
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmacomic
You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to chumdawg again.

Give it two more weeks, everyone else will see her as a punchline.
To believe such is naive..
To give positive rep for such a statement is just plain stupid.
Old 09-16-2008, 12:12 AM   #165
rmacomic
Platinum Member

rmacomic has a reputation beyond reputermacomic has a reputation beyond reputermacomic has a reputation beyond reputermacomic has a reputation beyond reputermacomic has a reputation beyond reputermacomic has a reputation beyond reputermacomic has a reputation beyond reputermacomic has a reputation beyond reputermacomic has a reputation beyond reputermacomic has a reputation beyond reputermacomic has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmbwinn
I was looking for more information about how the Alaskan people feel about the silly charges and accusations against Sarah...

I found it:

That's a voter whose oppinions I want to agree with.
Old 09-16-2008, 12:13 AM   #166
rmacomic
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murphy3
Obviously I didn't give rep, thus the "You must spread..." quote.
Old 09-16-2008, 12:14 AM   #167
wmbwinn
Platinum Member

wmbwinn has much to be proud ofwmbwinn has much to be proud ofwmbwinn has much to be proud ofwmbwinn has much to be proud ofwmbwinn has much to be proud ofwmbwinn has much to be proud ofwmbwinn has much to be proud ofwmbwinn has much to be proud ofwmbwinn has much to be proud ofwmbwinn has much to be proud ofwmbwinn has much to be proud of

I found that funny also and just had to drop it in here...

I think he has an opinion or two...
"Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes...Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man." -Thomas Jefferson
Old 09-16-2008, 12:15 AM   #168
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
She was already the punchline on SNL two nights ago.

As I said, she will bring base GOP votes to the election that may not have been there before, yes. But in terms of independents, she can only go down from here.

Now, that's a testament to the gambit that was her choice, to say she can only go down from here, because it was certainly a bold gambit that paid huge dividends in the short term. But in this day and age of presidential politics, the short term matters not. Again, she can only go down from here. There's just not any way that she can probably go up.
chumdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 12:19 AM   #169
wmbwinn
Platinum Member

Quote:
She was already the punchline on SNL two nights ago.

As I said, she will bring base GOP votes to the election that may not have been there before, yes. But in terms of independents, she can only go down from here.

Now, that's a testament to the gambit that was her choice, to say she can only go down from here, because it was certainly a bold gambit that paid huge dividends in the short term. But in this day and age of presidential politics, the short term matters not. Again, she can only go down from here. There's just not any way that she can probably go up.
If McCain/Palin wins, then Palin goes way up from here. McCain is too old to remain a party leader for long. Sarah will be the natural presidential candidate next...

As to addressing what you meant, I think that when Sarah holds her own in the Vice Prez debate and in other settings, that you will see that the Sarah surge has just started.
Old 09-16-2008, 12:23 AM   #170
rmacomic
Platinum Member

Also does anyone else find the Hockey mom/pit-bull line disturbing?

Is she saying lipstick is the only thing keeping her from mauling your crotch?
Old 09-16-2008, 12:27 AM   #171
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmbwinn
If McCain/Palin wins, then Palin goes way up from here. McCain is too old to remain a party leader for long. Sarah will be the natural presidential candidate next...

As to addressing what you meant, I think that when Sarah holds her own in the Vice Prez debate and in other settings, that you will see that the Sarah surge has just started.
Oh, yeah, her stock is going up in the party, that's for sure. If they win, she is certainly the next candidate for the Reps, one would think. And even if they lose, she still has a hat in the ring probably.

But I was just talking about this campaign. What her choice did was to pick up a lot of voters from the base who may have stayed home on a McCain-XXXXX ticket. The base isn't in love with McCain. So in that respect it was brilliant.

But if she were going to pick up any independents, I think that has already happened. These next weeks won't be kind to her. She's got the abuse of power thing to deal with, the debate to deal with it, the pressers to deal with (if they ever happen), her record to defend. She has a very, very uphill climb if she wants to win any more votes to the side.
Old 09-16-2008, 12:29 AM   #172
chumdawg
Guru

Quote:

See, this is one thing I've been wondering about. They talk a lot about how she plays with women, but I haven't heard much talk about how she plays with men. Personally, I'm not attracted to women who see themselves as pit bulls.
Old 09-16-2008, 12:37 AM   #173
wmbwinn
Platinum Member

Quote:
Oh, yeah, her stock is going up in the party, that's for sure. If they win, she is certainly the next candidate for the Reps, one would think. And even if they lose, she still has a hat in the ring probably.

But I was just talking about this campaign. What her choice did was to pick up a lot of voters from the base who may have stayed home on a McCain-XXXXX ticket. The base isn't in love with McCain. So in that respect it was brilliant.

But if she were going to pick up any independents, I think that has already happened. These next weeks won't be kind to her. She's got the abuse of power thing to deal with, the debate to deal with it, the pressers to deal with (if they ever happen), her record to defend. She has a very, very uphill climb if she wants to win any more votes to the side.
Today's Rasmusen poll would suggest that the Palin effect has not lost steam...

Now, McCain/Palin leads in Colorado, Florida, and in Ohio. He recently gained an advantage in New Mexico (shocking even to me). Now, Pennsylvania is TIED (shocking to me). Virginia remains tied.

Check out this link. Note how many states show substantial shifts to McCain/Palin.

http://www.rasmussenreports.com/scor...al_status_bars

And, the daily report:

http://www.rasmussenreports.com/publ..._tracking_poll
Old 09-16-2008, 12:41 AM   #174
wmbwinn
Platinum Member

rmacomic:

Quote:

Chumdawg:
Quote:
See, this is one thing I've been wondering about. They talk a lot about how she plays with women, but I haven't heard much talk about how she plays with men. Personally, I'm not attracted to women who see themselves as pit bulls.
You two surely don't fail to realize the meaning of the "saying". She simply implied that Hockey Moms are aggressive fighters. It is part of the image as a fighter looking to reform.

All image.

Seems to be scaring the Hell out of Obama and Biden and the Dem Party and even Europe (judging from Arne's comment earlier and the other thread about how Europe will never forgive us for failing to elect Obama).
Old 09-16-2008, 12:46 AM   #175
chumdawg
Guru

I don't tend to pay much attention to polls at this stage, particularly when they are this close. But I will tell you that McCain probably needs all three of OH, VA, and CO to win this election.
Old 09-16-2008, 01:02 AM   #176
Silk Smoov
Banned

Silk Smoov is a splendid one to beholdSilk Smoov is a splendid one to beholdSilk Smoov is a splendid one to beholdSilk Smoov is a splendid one to beholdSilk Smoov is a splendid one to beholdSilk Smoov is a splendid one to beholdSilk Smoov is a splendid one to beholdSilk Smoov is a splendid one to beholdSilk Smoov is a splendid one to beholdSilk Smoov is a splendid one to beholdSilk Smoov is a splendid one to behold

I have a question about abortions. I know that most people think it is the womans right to decide about having an abortion, but on the other hand people say conception is when the rights should be applied. Since, some think rights are afforded at conception, then shouldn't the father have a say in the right of abortions? I have never been a fan that the rights belong just to the woman. I do believe that the father and mother both HAVE to decide the right to make the decision on abortion, unless by medical cause or rape/incest.

I think that one overlooked piece in this abortion stuff is the fact that women can have abortions w/o the father knowing, but can also decide to have a child and force the father into child support. I am a Pro-Fathers rights person ;-) Could the fact that fathers have to be included on this type decision, force many women to re-think about having unprotected sex? Which then forces men to stop having unprotected sex, which in turn drives down the abortion rates? Whatever decision is made on abortion, both man and woman should have EQUAL rights on the decision. JMVHO.
Silk Smoov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 01:06 AM   #177
Silk Smoov
Banned

Silk Smoov is a splendid one to beholdSilk Smoov is a splendid one to beholdSilk Smoov is a splendid one to beholdSilk Smoov is a splendid one to beholdSilk Smoov is a splendid one to beholdSilk Smoov is a splendid one to beholdSilk Smoov is a splendid one to beholdSilk Smoov is a splendid one to beholdSilk Smoov is a splendid one to beholdSilk Smoov is a splendid one to beholdSilk Smoov is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mavdog
and I take it you approve of cronyism, of appointing people to positions for which they have NO background, experience or knowledge about?

sounds a lot like sarah palin as veep come to thnk of it.
Sounds like another FEMA problem Because of all that cronyism, we had 1000's of deaths in New Orleans.
Silk Smoov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 02:12 AM   #178
rabbitproof
Diamond Member

rabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond repute

I feel like this thread has been talked about for like 20 pages.....

Anybody else feel this way?

watch your thoughts, they become your words
rabbitproof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 02:24 AM   #179
Usually Lurkin
Diamond Member

Usually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
In the hypothetical, if she were going to pick up independents, it would happen through the debates as well. And you are wrong to claim that the accusations will hurt her. People are so put off by the complete wash of nutball press that the more gross accusations and obvious bias that they throw out there, the more people will turn to McCain/Palin. For most people, it's a natural reaction to the elite going overboard in telling them how they must think.
Usually Lurkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 06:38 AM   #180
u2sarajevo
moderately impressed

u2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond repute

I can't believe how flippant people can be discussing ending an innocent life.

Last edited by u2sarajevo; 09-16-2008 at 06:39 AM.
u2sarajevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 08:06 AM   #181
rmacomic
Platinum Member

not everyone agrees what constitutes "life"
Old 09-16-2008, 08:53 AM   #182
Usually Lurkin
Diamond Member

Usually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I can't believe how flippantly people will redefine "life" to fit their desire to kill.
Old 09-16-2008, 08:54 AM   #183
Usually Lurkin
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mavdog
and I take it you approve of cronyism, of appointing people to positions for which they have NO background, experience or knowledge about?

sounds a lot like sarah palin as veep come to thnk of it..
ehem. Obama.
Old 09-16-2008, 09:33 AM   #184
Murphy3
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silk Smoov
I have a question about abortions. I know that most people think it is the womans right to decide about having an abortion, but on the other hand people say conception is when the rights should be applied. Since, some think rights are afforded at conception, then shouldn't the father have a say in the right of abortions? I have never been a fan that the rights belong just to the woman. I do believe that the father and mother both HAVE to decide the right to make the decision on abortion, unless by medical cause or rape/incest.

I think that one overlooked piece in this abortion stuff is the fact that women can have abortions w/o the father knowing, but can also decide to have a child and force the father into child support. I am a Pro-Fathers rights person ;-) Could the fact that fathers have to be included on this type decision, force many women to re-think about having unprotected sex? Which then forces men to stop having unprotected sex, which in turn drives down the abortion rates? Whatever decision is made on abortion, both man and woman should have EQUAL rights on the decision. JMVHO.
Of course fathers should have rights to their unborn child. But, that's not how the law works for some reason.

You know how it is.... Women didn't have enough rights for far too long so whenever they finally get the normal rights they deserve, the pendulum swung TOO far and given more 'rights' than any human deserves. Basically, men felt bad for being asses and not giving equal rights to the hemorrhaging female.
Old 09-16-2008, 09:34 AM   #185
Murphy3
Guru

Quote:
People often believe what they want to believe so that they can sleep at night without a guilty conscience.
Old 09-16-2008, 09:36 AM   #186
Murphy3
Guru

They have an interesting write up at the rasmussen website concerning how people view Palin, Obama, McCain, and Biden. Very few believe that Obama or Palin are ready to be the President of the US whereas most believe that Biden and McCain are ready.

That can't be good for the Democrats. I think it's just further evidence that the Democrats made the worst possible decision in selecting Obama.
Old 09-16-2008, 09:54 AM   #187
mcsluggo
Golden Member

mcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by dude1394
I think that attacking the messenger is quite appropriate when the messenger is a "player".
The faster this rag is bankrupt, the better off this country will be.

http://www.powerlineblog.com/archive.../09/021520.php
man I am tired of the whining coming form YOU and the rest of the boo-farkin-hoo-ers

Yes, Palin is getting alot of press... and Yes, it is press digging for and into negative aspects of her past... that is what the press does. With Palin the story is just uuber compressed BECAUSE the repupublicans specifically selected someone that has NOT been scrutinzed by the press yet.

When was the last time you saw a big story about the Keating 5? WHAT do you think WOULD be happening if McCaine had just burst out of no-where into the national spotlight? There would be 70 stories a day on that scandal, and it would be NEWS. As it is, the keating 5 story, and its part in John McCain's profile, is part of the common conciousness, and it only occassionally receives oblique references.

I actually believe the republicans SPECIFICALLY chose an obscure candiate PURPOSELY with a little dirt in her past just so they could play the "boo-hoo-whine-my-panties-hurt-because-the-big-bad-mean-liberal-elite-are-picking-on-us" card. Apparently it was a good strategy for the immidiate term, as hordes of the masses are currently knocking each down to lap up the pathetic sob-story.
mcsluggo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 09:56 AM   #188
dalmations202
Diamond Member

dalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
People often believe what they want to believe so that they can sleep at night without a guilty conscience.
Truer words have not been printed on this board.

"A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have". Gerald Ford

"Life's tough, it's even tougher if you're stupid." -John Wayne

There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty:
soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order.
-Capt. Bob "Wolf" Johnson
dalmations202 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 10:09 AM   #189
rmacomic
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Usually Lurkin
I can't believe how flippantly people will redefine "life" to fit their desire to kill.
I can't believe how flippantly people will redefine "kill" to fit their own moral agenda.
Old 09-16-2008, 10:17 AM   #190
dalmations202
Diamond Member

dalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I can't believe how flippantly people will redefine "kill" to fit their own moral agenda.
Do you prefer the word MURDER? or maybe the "taking of their life"?

"A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have". Gerald Ford

Last edited by dalmations202; 09-16-2008 at 10:18 AM.
Old 09-16-2008, 10:21 AM   #191
rmacomic
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalmations202
Do you prefer the word MURDER? or maybe the "taking of their life"?
Sorry, but I just don't agree that it is a "murder." Preach all you want, you're not going to change my mind. I doubt I would ever change yours.

Tell me are you opposed to all abortion?
Old 09-16-2008, 10:32 AM   #192
dalmations202
Diamond Member

Quote:
Sorry, but I just don't agree that it is a "murder." Preach all you want, you're not going to change my mind. I doubt I would ever change yours.
You don't have to agree. You can justify in your mind. You are given free choice, and you can make that choice. It doesn't make it right or wrong within your/my idea of right and wrong.

First- you have to decide if their is a higher power (God). Then you have to decide if you want to be in control, or if you want to follow him. Then you have to decide whether man makes the "rights and wrongs" or you make the "rights and wrongs" or does the higher power. In the end it is your choice to follow yourself, everyone else, or God.

I have made my decision, and no you couldn't change it. I don't need to change your decision, I just need to put out there the truth -as I believe it to be.

Quote:
Under the mass majority of instances yes -- although you might come up with a few instances that I might understand it happening, and might have done the same thing myself. Just because I would have done it myself doesn't make it right though.

I'll be the first to admit that I am the chief of sinners and have made many mistakes in my life - even though being male, abortion isn't one of them.

Old 09-16-2008, 10:34 AM   #193
jefelump

jefelump is a name known to alljefelump is a name known to alljefelump is a name known to alljefelump is a name known to alljefelump is a name known to alljefelump is a name known to alljefelump is a name known to alljefelump is a name known to alljefelump is a name known to all

Quote:

I believe there are legitimate reasons to have an abortion, but it should be the rare case, where a true medical need would require it.... like perhaps a woman who is diagnosed with cancer and needs to start chemo, but then learns she's also pregnant. Who's life do you end? The mother's (and therefore the baby's too) by continueing the pregnancy and ignoring the cancer, or the baby's (by aborting and then treating the mother's cancer)? I think the "psychological health of the mother" should not be a consideration.

"Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress.. But I repeat myself."
-Mark Twain

'Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,'
--Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .
jefelump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 10:43 AM   #194
dalmations202
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jefelump
I believe there are legitimate reasons to have an abortion, but it should be the rare case, where a true medical need would require it.... like perhaps a woman who is diagnosed with cancer and needs to start chemo, but then learns she's also pregnant. Who's life do you end? The mother's (and therefore the baby's too) by continueing the pregnancy and ignoring the cancer, or the baby's (by aborting and then treating the mother's cancer)? I think the "psychological health of the mother" should not be a consideration.
I hope I never have to choose anything along these lines.

Who is in control of your life, your body, the disease? Why does a life have to end?

Lose one or lose both, or maybe lose neither?

Faith? Going Home?

I don't know about the decision I would make -- but I do know that lots of prayer would have to go into it before I told my wife that we should abort. Prayer would be the only way I would know the answer to these individual and rare situations.

Old 09-16-2008, 10:53 AM   #195
jefelump

jefelump is a name known to alljefelump is a name known to alljefelump is a name known to alljefelump is a name known to alljefelump is a name known to alljefelump is a name known to alljefelump is a name known to alljefelump is a name known to alljefelump is a name known to all

Quote:
I hope I never have to choose anything along these lines.

Who is in control of your life, your body, the disease? Why does a life have to end?

Lose one or lose both, or maybe lose neither?

Faith? Going Home?

I don't know about the decision I would make -- but I do know that lots of prayer would have to go into it before I told my wife that we should abort. Prayer would be the only way I would know the answer to these individual and rare situations.
Everyone hopes to never have to make a decision like that. It's real easy to say "I'm against abortion, except in cases of rape, incest, or danger to the life of the mother." But when it comes down to making that decision, it's still a hard decision.

My wife has brain cancer. We had two children before she was diagnosed. A few months after surgery, the doc discovered a regrowth and said we needed to go on chemo. But we learned from her bloodwork that she was pregnant.

So short story is I too have had to make the decision on an abortion. My wife and I did as you said.... we prayed a lot, and we sought the counsel of our church leaders. In the end, she had a miscarriage, so we didn't have to go through with it. I guess you could say we were lucky, that God took care of it for us.

"Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress.. But I repeat myself."
-Mark Twain

'Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,'
Old 09-16-2008, 11:01 AM   #196
rmacomic
Platinum Member

Quote:
You don't have to agree. You can justify in your mind. You are given free choice, and you can make that choice. It doesn't make it right or wrong within your/my idea of right and wrong.

First- you have to decide if their is a higher power (God). Then you have to decide if you want to be in control, or if you want to follow him. Then you have to decide whether man makes the "rights and wrongs" or you make the "rights and wrongs" or does the higher power. In the end it is your choice to follow yourself, everyone else, or God.

I have made my decision, and no you couldn't change it. I don't need to change your decision, I just need to put out there the truth -as I believe it to be.
See that is where we differ I guess.

First. I would never tell you, you are "justifying" your own beliefs. It smacks of condescension. Like you are saying, "you have the right to believe whatever, BUT YOU'RE WRONG!" but hey that's a minor quibble.

And no I really don't believe in a higher power. Tried to. Even tried to be a Jew for a while, after I realized I did not accept Christ as my savior. But deep down, I don't believe in a God nor do I believe in a soul. I don't really even believe in sin. I do believe there are laws and crimes. And as long as something is leagle...then I don't feel guilty. I have ever felt irresponsible, yes, but never guilty.
Old 09-16-2008, 11:10 AM   #197
rmacomic
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jefelump
Everyone hopes to never have to make a decision like that. It's real easy to say "I'm against abortion, except in cases of rape, incest, or danger to the life of the mother." But when it comes down to making that decision, it's still a hard decision.

My wife has brain cancer. We had two children before she was diagnosed. A few months after surgery, the doc discovered a regrowth and said we needed to go on chemo. But we learned from her bloodwork that she was pregnant.

So short story is I too have had to make the decision on an abortion. My wife and I did as you said.... we prayed a lot, and we sought the counsel of our church leaders. In the end, she had a miscarriage, so we didn't have to go through with it. I guess you could say we were lucky, that God took care of it for us.
That to me is the real flaw in so many arguments. Especialy the incest/rape exception. If it is murder, why are there exceptions if the father is a bastard?

on a completly different note:

I do feel for you and your wife. It must have been, and is a very hard time. I am also happy your faith helped/is helping you through. While my religious veiws a different, I am very happy when someone does have a strong faith to help them. I am the rare case of a nonbeliver who would never begrudge anyone else thiers.
Old 09-16-2008, 11:21 AM   #198
jefelump

Quote:
That to me is the real flaw in so many arguments. Especialy the incest/rape exception. If it is murder, why are there exceptions if the father is a bastard?

on a completly different note:

I do feel for you and your wife. It must have been, and is a very hard time. I am also happy your faith helped/is helping you through. While my religious veiws a different, I am very happy when someone does have a strong faith to help them. I am the rare case of a nonbeliver who would never begrudge anyone else thiers.
A lot of people agree with you. I don't have the stats or link to quote, but there are many women who are the victims of rape or incest, who carry the baby to term and then give them up for adoption. In this scenario, I make no judgement calls towards the woman, whether she aborts or gives the baby up for adoption.

Heck, in most hospitals they administer "emergency contraception" to women who have just been raped, in an attempt to prevent an unwanted pregnancy. I have no problem with this either.

And thanks for the kind note. She was diagnosed 6 years ago, and has done relatively well.

-Mark Twain

Last edited by jefelump; 09-16-2008 at 11:23 AM.
Old 09-16-2008, 11:25 AM   #199
Usually Lurkin
Diamond Member

Quote:
Well, that's what you are doing. Saying "I can't believe how flippantly people redefine "life" to fit their desire to kill" doesn't help things when you are erring on the side of personal convenience, rather than caution.
Old 09-16-2008, 11:33 AM   #200
rmacomic
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Usually Lurkin
Well, that's what you are doing. Saying "I can't believe how flippantly people redefine "life" to fit their desire to kill" doesn't help things when you are erring on the side of personal convenience, rather than caution.
Fair enough, except I don't have an agenda. I am fine with the status quo on the issue.