Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 08-10-2012, 05:34 PM   #161
purplefrog
Platinum Member

purplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by markus1234 View Post
....how about handing a bright future ? (100 times brighter than the MAVS)

The same goes for all the other teams. And of course the MAVS with Dwight or Deron.

Gasol+Kobe
Lebron+Wade+Bosh
Wade+Shaq
Chandler+Dirk
Garnett+Allen+Pierce

worked pretty well if you ask me
Dwight + Kobe on the same stage is problematic imo. The Heat trio is similar but it took them a season to build cohesion and a second year to build a supporting cast.

The injury issue does apply to all teams. And those teams with a strong bench/role players typically win championships. I don't believe the Lakers are there yet and now they have a new CBA that will restrict their personnel additions/changes dramatically. The Heat is currently off the charts with both stars and role players.
Old 08-10-2012, 06:17 PM   #162
b_o_r
Golden Member

b_o_r has much to be proud ofb_o_r has much to be proud ofb_o_r has much to be proud ofb_o_r has much to be proud ofb_o_r has much to be proud ofb_o_r has much to be proud ofb_o_r has much to be proud ofb_o_r has much to be proud ofb_o_r has much to be proud ofb_o_r has much to be proud ofb_o_r has much to be proud of

Don't see what the fuss is about the Lakers and the trade. They didn't get significantly better. They were already in discussion for the top seed in the West with Bynum. Howard moving to western conference nullifies what he does great which is anchor a defense. Too many run and gun/jumpshooting teams in the western conference which differs from the grind it out style of the east.

It actually helps the Mavs because Bynum destroyed the Mavericks. Howard doesn't have the offensive skill set of Bynum. Mavs really don't have to double down if the ball is feed in the post.
b_o_r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 06:20 PM   #163
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by b_o_r View Post
Don't see what the fuss is about the Lakers and the trade. They didn't get significantly better. They were already in discussion for the top seed in the West with Bynum. Howard moving to western conference nullifies what he does great which is anchor a defense. Too many run and gun/jumpshooting teams in the western conference which differs from the grind it out style of the east.

It actually helps the Mavs because Bynum destroyed the Mavericks. Howard doesn't have the offensive skill set of Bynum. Mavs really don't have to double down if the ball is feed in the post.
I'm just going to keep it simple and say that I disagree. A lot.

A lot.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com
jthig32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 07:02 PM   #164
markus1234
Platinum Member

markus1234 is a splendid one to beholdmarkus1234 is a splendid one to beholdmarkus1234 is a splendid one to beholdmarkus1234 is a splendid one to beholdmarkus1234 is a splendid one to beholdmarkus1234 is a splendid one to beholdmarkus1234 is a splendid one to beholdmarkus1234 is a splendid one to beholdmarkus1234 is a splendid one to beholdmarkus1234 is a splendid one to beholdmarkus1234 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
And as always with the Lakers, it worked out: They flipped the league's second-best center (a top-20 player) into the league's best center (and third-best player in the league) without sacrificing anything else of substance. I wrote this a few weeks ago and I'm writing it again: If scientists could create basketball-playing robots from scratch and were asked to create someone to play with Pau Gasol, Kobe Bryant and Nash, basically, they would create Dwight Howard: a ridiculously strong shot blocker/rebounder who can run the floor and doesn't need the ball to be happy. In the span of 3.5 seconds, the Lakers went from "old, slow, can't defend anybody" to "who's stopping us?"
http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/8254854/mailbag
markus1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 07:24 PM   #165
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

Male30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond repute

There is a lot of craziness in this thread. Lakers are going to be really, really good.
Old 08-10-2012, 07:39 PM   #166
JCmasta

JCmasta is a jewel in the roughJCmasta is a jewel in the roughJCmasta is a jewel in the roughJCmasta is a jewel in the roughJCmasta is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by jthig32 View Post

A lot.
Well that's great, but it doesn't mean a whole lot.
JCmasta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 08:03 PM   #167
Mavsfan4ever
Golden Member

Mavsfan4ever is a splendid one to beholdMavsfan4ever is a splendid one to beholdMavsfan4ever is a splendid one to beholdMavsfan4ever is a splendid one to beholdMavsfan4ever is a splendid one to beholdMavsfan4ever is a splendid one to beholdMavsfan4ever is a splendid one to beholdMavsfan4ever is a splendid one to beholdMavsfan4ever is a splendid one to beholdMavsfan4ever is a splendid one to beholdMavsfan4ever is a splendid one to behold

Sadly, the Lakers are looking scary this year.
Old 08-10-2012, 08:04 PM   #168
twelli
Diamond Member

twelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant future

The accumulation of super-star players seems to be the way to go to have ultimate success these days, but I like how the Mavs have won the title. Start from scratch, go through the growing pains, develop your star player, surround him with quality players and role players, try time and time again in the playoffs, and finally get over the hump. That's a great, inspiring story. Dirk winning it with Deron and Dwight at his side wouldn't have felt as good.

“He’s always around 23 or 24,” West said. “The bell rings every day.”
twelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 08:10 PM   #169
grndmstr_c
Diamond Member

grndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by jthig32 View Post

A lot.
People are kidding themselves if they think the Lakers didn't help themselves with this trade. Bynum's a strong player, and one who's well worth a max contract, but Dwight, if the back injury hasn't diminished him, is a top 2 player in the NBA, and is more productive and effective than Bynum in every phase of the game (okay, I'll digress on free throw shooting). Between Kobe's long-running selfish streak, Nash's age, and Dwight's back, the Lakers will still face some questions going into this season, but they could easily turn out to be historically good, and that's more true today than it was yesterday.

Last edited by grndmstr_c; 08-10-2012 at 08:12 PM.
grndmstr_c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 08:15 PM   #170
sefant77
Guru

sefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond repute

For sure the moment Dirk retires you tear all down, trade the remaining 2nd/3rd options for future lottery picks/talents and tank so much that you get at least two consecutive high lottery picks....

Last edited by sefant77; 08-10-2012 at 08:15 PM.
sefant77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 08:21 PM   #171
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by twelli View Post
The accumulation of super-star players seems to be the way to go to have ultimate success these days, but I like how the Mavs have won the title. Start from scratch, go through the growing pains, develop your star player, surround him with quality players and role players, try time and time again in the playoffs, and finally get over the hump.
Yep, it's like the difference between making love to your wife of twenty years and jerking off into a sock...

These days being a fan is a competition to see who can be the most upset when
your team loses. That proves you love winning more. That's how it works.
Underdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 01:48 AM   #172
GhostFace
Platinum Member

GhostFace has a brilliant futureGhostFace has a brilliant futureGhostFace has a brilliant futureGhostFace has a brilliant futureGhostFace has a brilliant futureGhostFace has a brilliant futureGhostFace has a brilliant futureGhostFace has a brilliant futureGhostFace has a brilliant futureGhostFace has a brilliant futureGhostFace has a brilliant future

Like a cheap punch to the gut. My hatred for the Laker franchise, fans, city, players, everything just continues to grow. It might not be in my life time, but I hope that franchise burns to the ground. Every single one of them.

"What Dirk is doing is legendary stuff, this is a joke how good this man is" - JVG
GhostFace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 02:26 AM   #173
twelli
Diamond Member

twelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underdog View Post
Yep, it's like the difference between making love to your wife of twenty years and jerking off into a sock...
Jerking off into a sock, is that an American thing? I don't really get the concept. What a waste of socks...

A certain type of sport fans roots for teams with the ability to attract super-star caliber players on a consistent basis. You have it in European soccer too, ManU, Real Madrid, Bayern Munich etc. Lakers and Heat fans, I think of 15 year-olds in Kobe/LeBron jersey, whining and crying when the team doesn't win, bragging all over the place after a win. Low-risk taking fans.

“He’s always around 23 or 24,” West said. “The bell rings every day.”
twelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 03:24 AM   #174
Budapest Maverick
Platinum Member

Budapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by sefant77 View Post
For sure the moment Dirk retires you tear all down, trade the remaining 2nd/3rd options for future lottery picks/talents and tank so much that you get at least two consecutive high lottery picks....
Will Cuban ever do that? I often wonder about that, and i'm afraid the answer might be no. Nothing wrong with being competitive of course, but we have a much bigger chance to get our next superstar through the draft, than in free agency.
Budapest Maverick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 07:07 AM   #175
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by twelli View Post
Jerking off into a sock, is that an American thing? I don't really get the concept. What a waste of socks...
I'm not sure if it's a particularly American thing... I've never tried it myself, seems like it would chafe... I think I lifted the concept from a stand-up comedian (Bill Hicks?) - it sounded cheap enough to illustrate your point.

Last edited by Underdog; 08-11-2012 at 07:10 AM.
Old 08-11-2012, 07:35 AM   #176
markus1234
Platinum Member

markus1234 is a splendid one to beholdmarkus1234 is a splendid one to beholdmarkus1234 is a splendid one to beholdmarkus1234 is a splendid one to beholdmarkus1234 is a splendid one to beholdmarkus1234 is a splendid one to beholdmarkus1234 is a splendid one to beholdmarkus1234 is a splendid one to beholdmarkus1234 is a splendid one to beholdmarkus1234 is a splendid one to beholdmarkus1234 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Budapest Maverick View Post
but we have a much bigger chance to get our next superstar through the draft, than in free agency.
Of course.

I mean why the hell should an elite free agent come to Dallas ? What makes Dallas more special than all the other teams ?

A young Dirk made us more special than let's say Charlotte, Toronto or Philly. But young Dirk is no more.

Last edited by markus1234; 08-11-2012 at 07:37 AM.
Old 08-11-2012, 10:04 AM   #177
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I'm not sure if it's a particularly American thing... I've never tried it myself, seems like it would chafe... I think I lifted the concept from a stand-up comedian (Bill Hicks?) - it sounded cheap enough to illustrate your point.
It dates at least back to the classic movie "Clerks." The scene where the lady is in the video store with her kid in tow and Randall is ordering new titles.
chumdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 03:43 PM   #178
Underdog

If players were more concerned with winning than they are with money (which they're not, but hypotheticals aren't bound to the laws of reality), which roster would be more appealing in 2013-14:

Nash
Kobe
Artest
Gasol
Howard

or

CP3
Mayo
Marion
Dirk
Howard

Old 08-11-2012, 03:50 PM   #179
markus1234
Platinum Member

OK, Cuban let's get CP3 in 2013 and then we can call Dwight.

I fear it is a pipe dream

Last edited by markus1234; 08-11-2012 at 03:51 PM.
Old 08-11-2012, 04:30 PM   #180
oilfieldtrash
Golden Member

oilfieldtrash is a glorious beacon of lightoilfieldtrash is a glorious beacon of lightoilfieldtrash is a glorious beacon of lightoilfieldtrash is a glorious beacon of lightoilfieldtrash is a glorious beacon of lightoilfieldtrash is a glorious beacon of lightoilfieldtrash is a glorious beacon of lightoilfieldtrash is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by markus1234 View Post
OK, Cuban let's get CP3 in 2013 and then we can call Dwight.

I fear it is a pipe dream
It is a pipe dream but its got a small chance of happening. Especially if the Heat bulldoze their way to another title. That would leave CP3 and D12 in a bad situation as Kobe and Nash aren't getting any younger and Blake Griffin isn't a top ten player. There only realistic title shot would be CP3, Dirk, D12.
oilfieldtrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 04:47 PM   #181
oilfieldtrash
Golden Member

oilfieldtrash is a glorious beacon of lightoilfieldtrash is a glorious beacon of lightoilfieldtrash is a glorious beacon of lightoilfieldtrash is a glorious beacon of lightoilfieldtrash is a glorious beacon of lightoilfieldtrash is a glorious beacon of lightoilfieldtrash is a glorious beacon of lightoilfieldtrash is a glorious beacon of light

^^
I've officially lost my mind. Its the hopeless 90's Mavs again!!

Last edited by oilfieldtrash; 08-11-2012 at 04:48 PM.
oilfieldtrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 05:37 PM   #182
Windmill360
Diamond Member

Windmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond repute

Not a chance in hell paul and howard leave LA. None.
Old 08-11-2012, 07:29 PM   #183
BPo001
Diamond Member

BPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windmill360 View Post
Not a chance in hell paul and howard leave LA. None.
This.
BPo001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 07:37 PM   #184
Underdog

You guys suck at reading comprehension.

Old 08-11-2012, 09:17 PM   #185
Lor20
Golden Member

Lor20 has much to be proud ofLor20 has much to be proud ofLor20 has much to be proud ofLor20 has much to be proud ofLor20 has much to be proud ofLor20 has much to be proud ofLor20 has much to be proud ofLor20 has much to be proud ofLor20 has much to be proud ofLor20 has much to be proud ofLor20 has much to be proud of

i honestly am not sure if howard is that huge of an upgrade this season as he will miss training camp and probably a month or more recovering from the back surgery. He'll also not be in top shape and quite frankly i think he wont be able to get fully integrated into the lakers team by the playoffs.

Kobe is getting older too and is clearly slowing down - his effort/ability on the defensive end is clearly deteriorating. Nash is also a defensive liability. Good perimeter shooting teams (eg OKC) will give the lakers huge issues.

it will also be interesting how three players that need the ball to be effective offensively (kobe, nash, dwight) will play together.
Lor20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 10:35 PM   #186
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

They will be fine, nashie will see to it.
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
dude1394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 12:33 AM   #187
FreshJive
Diamond Member

FreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lor20 View Post
i honestly am not sure if howard is that huge of an upgrade this season as he will miss training camp and probably a month or more recovering from the back surgery. He'll also not be in top shape and quite frankly i think he wont be able to get fully integrated into the lakers team by the playoffs.

Kobe is getting older too and is clearly slowing down - his effort/ability on the defensive end is clearly deteriorating. Nash is also a defensive liability. Good perimeter shooting teams (eg OKC) will give the lakers huge issues.

it will also be interesting how three players that need the ball to be effective offensively (kobe, nash, dwight) will play together.
Dwight needs a good pass to be effective offensively. He's going to get it.

"Nash is also a defensive liability." Grasping for straws.
FreshJive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 09:07 AM   #188
Sportstudi
Diamond Member

Sportstudi has a brilliant futureSportstudi has a brilliant futureSportstudi has a brilliant futureSportstudi has a brilliant futureSportstudi has a brilliant futureSportstudi has a brilliant futureSportstudi has a brilliant futureSportstudi has a brilliant futureSportstudi has a brilliant futureSportstudi has a brilliant futureSportstudi has a brilliant future

And another Gasol-esque trade in favor of the Lakers. They must have either the best FO in the league or the other teams love to bend over to give the Lakers some *censored*. They got Dwight Howard, Earl Clark and Chris Duhon for Bynum, Christian Eyenga, Josh McRoberts and a 2017 1st round draft pick (I think even lottery protected). Incredible. Howard (if he gets back to shape) is a much better fit for the Lakers even more so with Gasol.

Kobe must be the luckiest player this league has ever seen. In an era loaded with perimeter players he basically got gifted with the best available centers/frontlines whenever it was possible. First the threepeat with Shaq playing in his absolute prime (just a dominant monster). After Shaq's departure Kobe sucked a**, lost twice in the first round and once missed the playoffs. After getting paired with Gasol (for a bag of chips) he got another two rings. Yes, Gasol didn't win sh*t as the main man in Memphis, but that doesn't mean he's a bad player. Kobe needs a dominant big, otherwise he's useless. And Gasol needs someone who can take over the scoring responsibilities. Kobe needed Gasol and Gasol needed Kobe. Simple as that. You have to add Odom and the Lakers had the best available front line in the league in 2009 and 2010. Then Gasol was playing poorly in the last two seasons, Kobe again didn't win anything. And now the Howard trade...

Additionally, you can also throw PJ as one of the best coaches ever into the mix.

If you dig in the other boards or discuss with friends, it's horrible to do that in case they are Laker homers. Sadly, most Laker fans I know (or see in baords) are "Kobists". If the Lakers win, it's because of Kobe. If they lose, it's (almost) never Kobe's fault. Laker homers would never admit these facts listened above concerning Kobe's luck. In case the Lakers win in 2013, I'm sure they will put Kobe on pair with MJ. That would be flat out ridiculous.

Btw, I'm NOT a Kobe hater. He's a top 10 player of all time in my personal list. But he's got incredible luck as well.

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the former." (Albert Einstein)

Last edited by Sportstudi; 08-12-2012 at 09:24 AM.
Sportstudi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 11:53 AM   #189
JerryWest_44

JerryWest_44 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by purplefrog View Post
Before you hand the championship to the Lakers consider they are one injury away from being a competitive but not scary playoff team. If Nash goes down they have a mediocre backup. If Dwight goes down or is less than 100% due to his back then Gasol puts in significant minutes at the 5 and Jamison is your PF....
Many championship teams are mediocre if one of their best players go down. This is no news flash. One should worry if your team is mediocre if all players are healthy!
JerryWest_44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 11:57 AM   #190
Underdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryWest_44 View Post
Many championship teams are mediocre if one of their best players go down.
See: Butler, Caron

You shouldn't underrate depth in this league...

Last edited by Underdog; 08-12-2012 at 12:03 PM.
Old 08-12-2012, 02:43 PM   #191
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

DevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond repute

As obvious as this is, the Lakers still gave up Andrew Bynum. I'd be a lot more pissed if they got Howard for nothing. And this is all on Orlando...no question. Big time franchises wait patiently for an opposing GM to make stupid move.

Maybe I'm crazy, but I'm really not that upset about the move. Bynum for Howard in some sort of deal always made the most sense. It is what it is.

Last edited by DevinHarriswillstart; 08-12-2012 at 02:43 PM.
DevinHarriswillstart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 02:58 PM   #192
BGMaverick9
Guru

BGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond repute
Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevinHarriswillstart View Post
As obvious as this is, the Lakers still gave up Andrew Bynum. I'd be a lot more pissed if they got Howard for nothing. And this is all on Orlando...no question. Big time franchises wait patiently for an opposing GM to make stupid move.

Maybe I'm crazy, but I'm really not that upset about the move. Bynum for Howard in some sort of deal always made the most sense. It is what it is.
I think most people get pissed because, while that was the assumed move, they'd still have significant holes to take care of (point guard and bench scoring). Those have either been taken care of or have been dramatically improved.
Old 08-12-2012, 06:38 PM   #193
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

DevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by BGMaverick9 View Post
I think most people get pissed because, while that was the assumed move, they'd still have significant holes to take care of (point guard and bench scoring). Those have either been taken care of or have been dramatically improved.
I feel like the Lakers always manage to fill out their roster regardless. They are a big draw to play for and never seem to have much of an issue getting guys they want sooner or later. All the more reason to hate and beat them.

DevinHarriswillstart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 06:52 PM   #194
markus1234
Platinum Member

All the more reason to keep Tyson and stop pipe dreaming about Dwight.

Last edited by markus1234; 08-12-2012 at 06:52 PM.
Old 08-14-2012, 01:59 PM   #195
Kidd Karma
Diamond Member

Kidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Budapest Maverick View Post
Will Cuban ever do that? I often wonder about that, and i'm afraid the answer might be no. Nothing wrong with being competitive of course, but we have a much bigger chance to get our next superstar through the draft, than in free agency.
What's the difference between Orlando post Howard and Dallas post Dirk now?
Kidd Karma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 02:13 PM   #196
Underdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kidd Karma View Post
The front office.

Old 08-14-2012, 02:17 PM   #197
markus1234
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kidd Karma View Post
for example

Dallas

Orlando/rest of the league

so they say.

All the stars are dying to get a brand new play station in their locker room. Ask Donnie. We are 2nd to none.

Last edited by markus1234; 08-14-2012 at 02:20 PM.
Old 08-14-2012, 02:37 PM   #198
Kidd Karma
Diamond Member

Kidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant future

Quote:
The front office.
Yep the front office is what drove Howard out of Orlando. You look at Dirk, the FO has treated him like royalty, and despite just having one ring, Dirk has not wanted out at all.
Kidd Karma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 03:12 PM   #199
BGMaverick9
Guru

BGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
The front office.
http://www.latimes.com/sports/lakers...,7410131.story
Old 08-16-2012, 11:14 AM   #200
sefant77
Guru

sefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond repute

Ah f me, the Rockets offer was even better than i thought. And much better than the crap the Magic got now:

Quote:
Houston was only offering two first round picks, though one would have come from the Raptors and has protections to make it more likely to be a lottery selection.
Quote:
Houston would only offer two players from a group that included Marcus Morris, Patrick Patterson, Jeremy Lamb, Terrence Jones, Royce White and Donatas Motiejunas.
So Lamb, the PF project they like the most, the Raptors lottery pick and another pick.

Are you kidding me? And they took 27y old Afflalo and crappy pics to start a total rebuild.

Yes we got lucky with Colangelo doing Marion a favor to trade him to Dallas and Jordan backing out of the Chandler-Toronto trade over night but boy, we got unlucky with Deron and Dwight. First the Hawks with giving JJ that stupid contract just to dump him two years later for expiring trash and then now the Magic taking the Lakers offer...
sefant77 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
awful thread, dwight to lakers: book it, maybe or maybe not, not gonna happen, time waste101, to book or not to book, waiting for guffman