Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 01-29-2005, 11:01 PM   #161
Captain Disaster

Captain Disaster is a jewel in the roughCaptain Disaster is a jewel in the roughCaptain Disaster is a jewel in the rough
Default RE:Philly @ Mavericks Gameday Thread....

Instead of letting Nash walk away, Cuban should've traded Fin.
Captain Disaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-29-2005, 11:02 PM   #162
endtroducing
Golden Member

endtroducing is on a distinguished road
Default RE: Philly @ Mavericks Gameday Thread....

I would rather have Walker at this point
Old 01-29-2005, 11:03 PM   #163
V
Golden Member

V has a spectacular aura aboutV has a spectacular aura about

Mavs were out hustled and they dominated by Sixer points in the paint. Fin had a terrible game ... but I put this one on Avery Johnson. Fin & Stack should not have had 40+ minutes each against the Sixers big lineup. The best lineup he threw out there was Terry, Stack, Dirk, Hendu, Damp. We should have seen more of Hendu.

"If there's no more questions, I've got a beer that needs consuming."
-- Don Nelson
V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2005, 11:06 PM   #164
frosty

frosty is on a distinguished road

This loss just makes me sickto my stomach
frosty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2005, 11:09 PM   #165
DirkGoesNuclear

DirkGoesNuclear has a spectacular aura aboutDirkGoesNuclear has a spectacular aura aboutDirkGoesNuclear has a spectacular aura about

This loss goes to finley. He should not be a starter. Our 100 million dollar man is a liability.
Old 01-29-2005, 11:11 PM   #166
PepperTheMavsFan41

PepperTheMavsFan41 is on a distinguished road

Good God, guess who shot the ball 23 times YET no FTs!!!!

Ive HAD it with him!
I can kill cause in god I trust.
It's EVOLUTION baby.
PepperTheMavsFan41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2005, 11:11 PM   #167
Nash13
Diamond Member

Nash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud of

it's not fair to blame the coach when our second best player and our most efficient bench player are out. It is fair to blame Avery when Harris gets 6 minutes. This goes to bad shooting.

Although we should've won this game, this loss doesn't compare to the loss in LA. I'm not really mad because i got home from a long days work.

I want Josh and Marquis back, please?
The wind rises electric. She's soft and warm and almost weightless. Her perfume is sweet promise that brings tears to my eyes. I tell her that everything will be all right; that I'll save her from whatever she's scared and take her far far away. I tell her that I love her. The silencer makes a whisper of the gunshot. I hold her close until she's gone. I'll never know what she was running from. I'll cash her check in the morning.

~The Salesman
Nash13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2005, 11:15 PM   #168
V
Golden Member

V has a spectacular aura aboutV has a spectacular aura about

Sure it's fair to blame the coach. Mavs lacked energy & Fin stunk. Hendu brings energy and can defend the Sixers big SF. They played well when he was in with Dirk & Damp. He should have played more & Fin should've seen some pine.

"If there's no more questions, I've got a beer that needs consuming."
-- Don Nelson
V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2005, 11:24 PM   #169
V2M
Diamond Member

V2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to behold

Easily the worst loss of the season. We had 3 days rest while a mediocre Philly team w/o AI, playing on the 2nd night of the b2b after an overtime loss to NO, comes to our place and beat us. Aaaarrrrggghh!!!

We have wasted a superlative effort by Damp. Dirk, Terry & Stack played OK enough not to lose. But Finley was just pathetic. He plays 40min, shoots 23 times (making only 6 of those!) and has 0 Assists and 0 FTAs. I mean, other than his FTs after Technicals, I can't recall when he last got a FT. And finally our bench got outscored 50-5 at home... so much for the vaunted depth!!!

Coaching was awful too. When Philly were in foul trouble midway through all the quarters, why don't they insist on Stack, Dirk or Terry to take it to the rack instead of settling for long-range jumpers. Also, how on earth could Fin get 40min on a night like this!!!
V2M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2005, 11:36 PM   #170
G-Man
Platinum Member

G-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond repute

I'm out of town so I missed the game. Gave my tickets to a big AI fam.
The box score shows Fin hit 6 of 23 and Dirk 7 of 25. With both twins out, we clearly can't afford such bad shooting from both.
How come all the hate for Fin while almost everyone cuts Dirk slack?

Old 01-29-2005, 11:40 PM   #171
Bayliss

Bayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Dirk sucked too shooting. But Dirk did grab 9 boards, dished out 4 assists, stole the ball twice and blocked 6 shots. He was up and down tonight.

Fin was just down.
Bayliss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2005, 11:41 PM   #172
HexNBA
Golden Member

HexNBA is a name known to allHexNBA is a name known to allHexNBA is a name known to allHexNBA is a name known to allHexNBA is a name known to allHexNBA is a name known to allHexNBA is a name known to allHexNBA is a name known to all

Because Finley doesnt do anything else and Dirk gets rebounds, assists and rubs out some shots.
Old 01-29-2005, 11:44 PM   #173
endtroducing
Golden Member

endtroducing is on a distinguished road

Dirk gets to the line. Finley doesn't.
Old 01-29-2005, 11:44 PM   #174
V2M
Diamond Member

V2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally posted by: Bayliss
Quote:
Dirk sucked too shooting. But Dirk did grab 9 boards, dished out 4 assists, stole the ball twice and blocked 6 shots. He was up and down tonight.

Fin was just down.
Not to mention Dirk's 14 FTAs (11 made). Dirk ended up with 25 points on 25 shots while Fin has 14 points on 23 shots. Fin just single-handedly lost the game for us with some assistance from the Coaches & the Bench.

Old 01-29-2005, 11:51 PM   #175
Nash13
Diamond Member

Nash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud of

imo, Henderson can't be consistent in long periods of time. I'm not going to argue because i only say the last 8 minutes of the game, but i'm just saying it's hard to blame an Acting Head Coach, especially when Dirk and Fin have off nights.
The wind rises electric. She's soft and warm and almost weightless. Her perfume is sweet promise that brings tears to my eyes. I tell her that everything will be all right; that I'll save her from whatever she's scared and take her far far away. I tell her that I love her. The silencer makes a whisper of the gunshot. I hold her close until she's gone. I'll never know what she was running from. I'll cash her check in the morning.

~The Salesman
Nash13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2005, 04:52 PM   #176
Captain Disaster

Captain Disaster is a jewel in the roughCaptain Disaster is a jewel in the roughCaptain Disaster is a jewel in the rough

All last year, I kept saying that we had to trade Finley. What happened? Several people on this board said I was crazy, & called me all kinds of names. Whatever!

So what does Cuban do? He keeps Finley, and LETS NASH WALK AWAY FOR NOTHING!!

What a joke!

So now Phoenix will likely win the NBA title, and we're stuck with an aging, jump shooting small forward who has never worked on improving the weaknesses in his game.

Old 01-30-2005, 05:02 PM   #177
dirk2003

dirk2003 is a name known to alldirk2003 is a name known to alldirk2003 is a name known to alldirk2003 is a name known to alldirk2003 is a name known to alldirk2003 is a name known to alldirk2003 is a name known to alldirk2003 is a name known to alldirk2003 is a name known to all

1. Suns will not win the title with TD in the league.
2. Nash will play well 1-2 more years then he will become as hated as Fin is now.
Old 01-30-2005, 05:14 PM   #178
Max Power
Banned

Max Power is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by: Captain Disaster
All last year, I kept saying that we had to trade Finley. What happened? Several people on this board said I was crazy, & called me all kinds of names. Whatever!

So what does Cuban do? He keeps Finley, and LETS NASH WALK AWAY FOR NOTHING!!

What a joke!

So now Phoenix will likely win the NBA title, and we're stuck with an aging, jump shooting small forward who has never worked on improving the weaknesses in his game.
I have trouble taking your opinions seriously. Weren't you the guy who thought the Mavs wouldn't make the playoffs because we traded NVE?
Max Power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2005, 09:24 PM   #179
Captain Disaster

First of all, Nash will last more than 1 or two years; with the young talent on his club: are you kidding?

Second, losing NVE WAS a big blow; I don't recall us having a BETTER record the following year. In fact, I believe we were out in the first round.

Keep dreaming.
Old 01-30-2005, 09:58 PM   #180
Max Power
Banned

Max Power is on a distinguished road

Quote:
First of all, Nash will last more than 1 or two years; with the young talent on his club: are you kidding?

Second, losing NVE WAS a big blow; I don't recall us having a BETTER record the following year. In fact, I believe we were out in the first round.

Keep dreaming.
YOUR opinion is that Nash will last. We'll have to wait and see.

YOUR opinion is that the Mavs would not make the playoffs without NVE. We made the playoffs and NVE wouldn't have made a damn bit of difference in how we performed. Would he have taken EVERY final shot? You know, the ones that EVERY ONE of the big three took turns missing.

You ought to change your log-in name to Chicken Little - because you think the the sky is always falling.
Max Power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2005, 11:58 AM   #181
madape
Diamond Member

madape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to behold

Wow, what did Dampier eat on Friday? I didn't see the game, but those are some pretty good stats. It's games like this that have made this man one of the most frustrating players in the NBA. It's like the minute you're ready to give up on the guy, he makes you realize why a career 8 point, 7 rebound guy can stick around the league for so long. I really beleive that without the occasional game like this, the man would have been out of the league five years ago. It's just too bad you have to suffer through months and months of terrible play before you get something like this out of him.

Does anyone else think that we'll see ten more 2 point, 4 rebound stinkers before we see another 20+ rebound, 3+ block game out of Dampier?
madape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2005, 02:54 PM   #182
V2M
Diamond Member

For the first time in a while, he didn't seem to limp while running the floor. He also seemed to jump higher than what I've seen in earlier games. Not sure if it's a one-game fluke or if he's recovered from whatever was ailing him. I hope it's the latter and that would be the best news we could get heading into the 2nd half.
Old 01-31-2005, 04:46 PM   #183
Captain Disaster

Quote:
Originally posted by: Max Power
Quote:

Keep dreaming.
YOUR opinion is that Nash will last. We'll have to wait and see.

YOUR opinion is that the Mavs would not make the playoffs without NVE. We made the playoffs and NVE wouldn't have made a damn bit of difference in how we performed. Would he have taken EVERY final shot? You know, the ones that EVERY ONE of the big three took turns missing.

And YOU'RE entitled to YOU'RE opinion also; ask P.T. Barnum.
Old 01-31-2005, 05:19 PM   #184
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally posted by: V2M
Quote:
Originally posted by: Bayliss
Quote:

Fin was just down.
Not to mention Dirk's 14 FTAs (11 made). Dirk ended up with 25 points on 25 shots while Fin has 14 points on 23 shots. Fin just single-handedly lost the game for us with some assistance from the Coaches & the Bench.
Give Dirk some 'credit'...he did more than his share to lose the game as well. His shooting simply was not and is not acceptable.
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2005, 05:24 PM   #185
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute

far too many "coulda-woulda-shoulda" type arguments that have little or no validity because of their basis in perception, speculation or assumption…Let’s stick with the here and now facts…because the truth is we have no idea what type of impact former players would have made on this team, or what the team’s record would be with a different coach, or how current players would be effected if the scenario changed. Why spend so much time arguing pure theory when there is plenty of actual discussion about this current band?

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"
sike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2005, 06:28 PM   #186
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
you're and your....
EricaLubarsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2005, 06:36 PM   #187
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally posted by: EricaLubarsky
Quote:
you're and your....
nice

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"
sike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2005, 09:16 PM   #188
Captain Disaster

Quote:
Originally posted by: EricaLubarsky
Quote:
you're and your....
Thank you.
Old 01-31-2005, 09:26 PM   #189
Drbio
Banned

Drbio is an unknown quantity at this point

Craptain my Craptain....Carpe Diem

*Doc walks off stage left whistling, "Whistle while you work....."*
Drbio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2005, 09:36 PM   #190
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally posted by: madape
Wow, what did Dampier eat on Friday? I didn't see the game, but those are some pretty good stats. It's games like this that have made this man one of the most frustrating players in the NBA. It's like the minute you're ready to give up on the guy, he makes you realize why a career 8 point, 7 rebound guy can stick around the league for so long. I really beleive that without the occasional game like this, the man would have been out of the league five years ago. It's just too bad you have to suffer through months and months of terrible play before you get something like this out of him.

Does anyone else think that we'll see ten more 2 point, 4 rebound stinkers before we see another 20+ rebound, 3+ block game out of Dampier?
Well 20+ rebounds maybe, but 3 blocked shots, no, I think we won't see ten more before then. In fact we should probalby have a thread to count them.

"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
dude1394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2005, 10:16 PM   #191
grndmstr_c
Diamond Member

grndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond repute

Damp's shotblocking has been one of my biggest problems with him this year. He simply hasn't been doing enough of it, but while I don't expect too many repeats of the other night's performance (from him or Dirk), it is worth noting that his average for the month of January is at 2 bpg in 27.6 minutes per. He seems to be coming around in that respect.

As for his rebounding "stinkers", you have to take into account that a player's impact on the boards can extend beyond simply the number of them that he grabs. For the season the Mavs are rebounding 51.7% of missed shots with Damp on the floor. He's been doing his job on the glass.
Old 01-31-2005, 10:46 PM   #192
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

Most of shotblocking is psychological. That's why Bradley is so underrated. Psychology doesnt have a stat associated with it, except for the related stats and on/off court stats.

Damp's been a guy that takes up a lot of space and a guy no one wants to bump into, but he had very little mobility early in the season and he just didnt have the lift to be a shotblocker. That meant that he was more of an obstacle, so if players could escape him or get around him, they had a clear shot at the goal. If Dampier can continue to block a few shots (1.8 or more per game), he will cause opposing players to not only think before they make a play but also think as they are going up for the shot. They think "where is Dampier" and "can I get the shot off this way?" and that in itself leads to a difference in opp. FG%

Of course we already get shotblocking from Shawn Bradley, although the intimidation factor is a little less with him.

It should also be noted that in the sixers game, his mobility allowed him to get to open players in the low to mid post, which was important because of the sheer number of defensive breakdowns. I noticed quite a few times he forced misses this way when normally the player would have been open.

I just hope that the mobility and dominance continues through the season and that the reason he hasnt been blocking shots and defending well is because of his injuries that are now, for the most part, gone.
EricaLubarsky is offline   Reply With Quote