Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > Around the NBA

Old 02-02-2008, 10:26 AM   #161
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

I'll have to respectively disagree and call it a day. Gasol has the same number of bpg as damp does (albeit in more minutes). He's called upon in memphis to be a scorer, he would nearly be as called upon that here so I would expect those numbers to go up.

So 22 mpg of gasol on this team would be worse than the 22mpg we now give damp. I just don't see it.
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
dude1394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-02-2008, 10:50 AM   #162
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

Thought I would copy these numbers. I've heard folks say that Gasol is like dirk, just not as good.

Quote:
Gasol took 54% of his shots in the paint and he makes 58% of them.
Bass took 46% of his shots in the paint and he makes 45% of them.
Dirk took 23% of his shots in the paint and he makes 55% of them.
Not per where he makes his shots he isn't.
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
Old 02-02-2008, 11:08 AM   #163
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

I say this a lot, but SOMEBODY has to score for every team - NBA games don't have final scores of 148-56... A good player on a bad team is going to have more inflated numbers than a great player on a good team...

Gasol was the #1 (and sometimes only) scoring option for Memphis since he joined the team - how many shots is he going to be taking when the offense runs through Kobe instead of him?

Not to take anything away from Gasol - I'd love to have him in Dallas next to Damp/Diop instead of Bass or Juwan, but he's not a necessity and I wouldn't give up the defense we get from our centers to acquire him...

That said - the Lakers did just get better... Does this move help them beat San Antonio or Dallas? I'm not sure... What I AM sure of is that Gasol greatly increases their chances of beating the one team that has eliminated them from the playoffs most often in recent years - Phoenix... You don't need defense when you're in a shooting match, and the Lakers seem to get in a shooting match with the Suns every time the playoffs roll around...

These days being a fan is a competition to see who can be the most upset when
your team loses. That proves you love winning more. That's how it works.

Last edited by Underdog; 02-02-2008 at 11:08 AM.
Underdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2008, 11:15 AM   #164
wmbwinn
Platinum Member

wmbwinn has much to be proud ofwmbwinn has much to be proud ofwmbwinn has much to be proud ofwmbwinn has much to be proud ofwmbwinn has much to be proud ofwmbwinn has much to be proud ofwmbwinn has much to be proud ofwmbwinn has much to be proud ofwmbwinn has much to be proud ofwmbwinn has much to be proud ofwmbwinn has much to be proud of

Agree that Gasol is perfect for the Lakers and I think the Lakers will beat the Suns now.
Agree that Gasol is better than Bass. But, Gasol is way to expensive to come to Dallas and only become the Bass replacement.
Agree that Gasol would add much needed low post scoring.
Also agree with most posters that Gasol would be a substantial negative on the Mavs's defense.
Now, it may be that Gasol playing 22 minutes a game in place of Bass would allow Gasol to fight under the basket without overt concern for foul trouble.

But, again, you can't pay Gasol his current salary and make him a role player to replace Bass and rotate with our centers for 22 minutes per game. And, you can't pay Gasol his salary just to keep him for Golden State, the Suns, and the Lakers.

Anyway, it doesn't matter. Gasol is in Laker land and he will be a great/incredible addition there.
"Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes...Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man." -Thomas Jefferson
wmbwinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2008, 11:39 AM   #165
FINtastic
Diamond Member

FINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond repute

Guys we shouldn't be upset about opportunities we missed. Besides Gasol was a crappy Dirk, and why go after the crappy version when you've already got the real thing? Instead we should be looking ahead at all the exciting possibilities that might lay ahead of us.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news;_yl...yhoo&type=lgns

Quote:
And what does it say of the Grizzlies? Well, it says that they’re bleeding financial losses, desperate to strip payroll and make themselves more attractive for a potential buyer. They’re shopping guard Mike Miller throughout the league too, sources say, and it’s just a matter of time until they’ve stripped themselves to the core. Essentially, they’re the Vancouver Grizzlies again.

"Ok, Go Mavericks!"
-Avery Johnson
FINtastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2008, 11:43 AM   #166
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

Thespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underdog
I say this a lot, but SOMEBODY has to score for every team - NBA games don't have final scores of 148-56... A good player on a bad team is going to have more inflated numbers than a great player on a good team...

Gasol was the #1 (and sometimes only) scoring option for Memphis since he joined the team - how many shots is he going to be taking when the offense runs through Kobe instead of him?

Not to take anything away from Gasol - I'd love to have him in Dallas next to Damp/Diop instead of Bass or Juwan, but he's not a necessity and I wouldn't give up the defense we get from our centers to acquire him...

That said - the Lakers did just get better... Does this move help them beat San Antonio or Dallas? I'm not sure... What I AM sure of is that Gasol greatly increases their chances of beating the one team that has eliminated them from the playoffs most often in recent years - Phoenix... You don't need defense when you're in a shooting match, and the Lakers seem to get in a shooting match with the Suns every time the playoffs roll around...
I agree. Anyone who's thinking Dallas should've made a move for Gasol is flat out wrong.

What this team really needs is a shooting guard. Mike Miller all the way!!
Thespiralgoeson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2008, 12:33 PM   #167
rabbitproof
Diamond Member

rabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond repute

The fans who should be pissed about this trade are Chicago fans. They should be livid.

watch your thoughts, they become your words
rabbitproof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2008, 12:50 PM   #168
skylive321

skylive321 is just really niceskylive321 is just really niceskylive321 is just really niceskylive321 is just really niceskylive321 is just really niceskylive321 is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbitproof
The fans who should be pissed about this trade are Chicago fans. They should be livid.
Correction, all western conference teams who plan to make a run for the playoffs should be pissed abput this trade. What kind of idiot, trades an all star calliber player, and his best player on the team to a contending team that has the best player in the NBA(aka Kobe) for scraps and bits nicely packaged as "Kwame Brown". I'll tell you what kind of GM. An idiot that knows he's 19 games below the mark of the playoffs and knows he has no chance at making the playoffs for at least two or three years. No, every western fan has the right to be p.o'd about this.
skylive321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2008, 12:57 PM   #169
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by skylive321
Correction, all _________ conference teams who plan to make a run for the playoffs should be pissed abput this trade. What kind of idiot, trades an all star calliber player, and his best player on the team to a contending team that has [one of] the best player[s] in the NBA (aka _________) for scraps and bits nicely packaged as "_________". I'll tell you what kind of GM. An idiot

A few tweaks & and it sounds like Kevin McHale's trade to Boston...

Last edited by Underdog; 02-02-2008 at 12:57 PM.
Old 02-02-2008, 01:08 PM   #170
skylive321

skylive321 is just really niceskylive321 is just really niceskylive321 is just really niceskylive321 is just really niceskylive321 is just really niceskylive321 is just really nice

Quote:
touche...
skylive321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2008, 02:14 PM   #171
V2M
Diamond Member

V2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to behold

Diop/Ager/KVH/Picks/$3M Cash for Miller/Darko

Memphis is desperate to strip payroll. This deal gives 'em a chance to get rid of two multi-year contracts and earn some cash while at it.

Dallas gets a SG (16.7ppg, 50.8% FG, 43.4% 3FG) and a 7' backup center who can rebound and play a bit offense!

Our 10-man rotation:

Harris/Terry
Miller/Stack
Josh/George
Dirk/Bass
Damp/Darko
V2M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2008, 02:28 PM   #172
Tokey41
Platinum Member

Tokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to behold

I think that would make all the people worried about defense happier. Darko is a pretty decent defender when he wants to be and that offense would still be vastly improved (and with no one else in the paint area on the Mavs those numbers may increase). The best part is he's still like what? 22? 23?

Granted Miller would be the jackpot in that deal, it would actually address our two main problems with one deal. Get it done!
Tokey41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2008, 02:31 PM   #173
FINtastic
Diamond Member

FINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I know McHale gets ripped a lot, but I don't think McHale made nearly as bad of a trade as what happened here. The T-Wolves got a pretty solid player in Al Jefferson, who might be a 20-11 type for the next decade. The Grizzlies got...Kwame Brown? At least the T-Wolves got a guy that should see the All-Star game a couple of times in the next few years.

"Ok, Go Mavericks!"
-Avery Johnson
FINtastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2008, 02:35 PM   #174
horse900703
Diamond Member

horse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud of

cant wait to see them play~~
horse900703 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2008, 02:51 PM   #175
Dtownsfinest
Diamond Member

Dtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant future

I might get ripped for this but I think the Celtics are going to regret getting rid of Al Jefferson. Celtics saw an opportunity to contend for a title now so I give them credit for that but Jefferson is no slouch. His offensive game is already better than KG's at this point in their careers. Not sure if Minnesota will be a player in free agency because I don't see anyone wanting to go there but they'll definately have the money to go after some guys.
Dtownsfinest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2008, 05:32 PM   #176
dude1394
Guru

Oh I don't think the celtics are regretting much of anything right now. If they don't win a championship in the next two years they might, but they sure were not going to win one anytime soon with just jeffereson I don't think.

I wonder if Garnett could play center? Probably not, I guess we'd rather have damp than kg.
Old 02-02-2008, 06:10 PM   #177
StackAttack
Platinum Member

StackAttack has much to be proud ofStackAttack has much to be proud ofStackAttack has much to be proud ofStackAttack has much to be proud ofStackAttack has much to be proud ofStackAttack has much to be proud ofStackAttack has much to be proud ofStackAttack has much to be proud ofStackAttack has much to be proud ofStackAttack has much to be proud ofStackAttack has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by chumdawg
Look on the bright side. The Lakers just used up their ammo for a Kidd trade!
I don't know about salaries, but a package featuring Fish, Turiaf, and Odom for Kidd is at least plausible if the Nets get desperate before the deadline.
Old 02-02-2008, 06:38 PM   #178
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by dude1394
Oh I don't think the celtics are regretting much of anything right now. If they don't win a championship in the next two years they might, but they sure were not going to win one anytime soon with just jeffereson I don't think.

I wonder if Garnett could play center? Probably not, I guess we'd rather have damp than kg.
Garnett could most certainly play center.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com
jthig32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2008, 07:42 PM   #179
dude1394
Guru

I don't see why he could and gasol couldn't? I know that KG is more atheletic but Pau outweighs him by 40 pounds. KG would get pushed all over the place.

I just didn't realize how athletic you had to be to play center.

Last edited by dude1394; 02-02-2008 at 07:43 PM.
Old 02-02-2008, 07:44 PM   #180
dude1394
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by StackAttack
I don't know about salaries, but a package featuring Fish, Turiaf, and Odom for Kidd is at least plausible if the Nets get desperate before the deadline.
I would imagine that fish might retire if that happened. It would be pretty cold-blooded of the lakers for sure.
Old 02-02-2008, 08:05 PM   #181
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I would imagine that fish might retire if that happened. It would be pretty cold-blooded of the lakers for sure.
I hear ya...but when you really think about it, is it certainly the case? He didn't do the Lakers a favor to sign with them. The Jazz did Fisher a favor to let him out of his contract. Do the Lakers really owe him anything? If anything, it almost seems like the other way round.
chumdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2008, 09:20 PM   #182
Underdog

Quote:
I hear ya...but when you really think about it, is it certainly the case? He didn't do the Lakers a favor to sign with them. The Jazz did Fisher a favor to let him out of his contract. Do the Lakers really owe him anything? If anything, it almost seems like the other way round.
The NBA: where f*ck your dying kid happens(?)

Last edited by Underdog; 02-02-2008 at 09:21 PM.
Old 02-02-2008, 09:21 PM   #183
minkbarn

minkbarn is a name known to allminkbarn is a name known to allminkbarn is a name known to allminkbarn is a name known to allminkbarn is a name known to allminkbarn is a name known to allminkbarn is a name known to allminkbarn is a name known to allminkbarn is a name known to allminkbarn is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by jthig32
Garnett could most certainly play center.
Garnett can play center... for limited minutes. But he isn't a center and has said he doesn't want to play center regularly. The Celtics spot him there for limited periods each game. He's too slight to go against much bulkier players for long minutes down low though.
minkbarn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2008, 10:50 PM   #184
dude1394
Guru

Quote:
No they don't, but they do.
Old 02-02-2008, 10:51 PM   #185
dude1394
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by minkbarn
Garnett can play center... for limited minutes. But he isn't a center and has said he doesn't want to play center regularly. The Celtics spot him there for limited periods each game. He's too slight to go against much bulkier players for long minutes down low though.
So it's agreed, dampier is more important to the mavs than garnett would be, right?
Old 02-02-2008, 10:58 PM   #186
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by minkbarn
He could play center for us for much longer stretches because the offense would not be run through him, like it is in Boston.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com
Old 02-02-2008, 11:27 PM   #187
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
The NBA: where f*ck your dying kid happens(?)
It's a shame what Fisher's girl is going through. He still plays road games, though, doesn't he?

That whole deal always seemed odd to me. It was nice for Fisher that he could get a job in LA near the doctor, but I don't think anyone imagines that the Lakers gave him that job out of charity.
Old 02-02-2008, 11:31 PM   #188
dude1394
Guru

I actually agree with you chum. I think utah was "nice" but silly to just let him go. He wants to go fine, quit. But they keep his rights and force the lakers to give up something for him.
Old 02-02-2008, 11:35 PM   #189
LonghornDub

LonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
It's a shame what Fisher's girl is going through. He still plays road games, though, doesn't he?

That whole deal always seemed odd to me. It was nice for Fisher that he could get a job in LA near the doctor, but I don't think anyone imagines that the Lakers gave him that job out of charity.
Agreed. It was fishy (no pun intended) and Utah fans feel the same way.

"Your'e a low-mentality drama gay queen!!" -- She_Growls
LonghornDub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2008, 01:22 AM   #190
Tokey41
Platinum Member

Tokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to behold

His daughter was sick so his team let him go so he could sign to a city that could help with her treatment? Yeah... huge conspiracy going on there.
Tokey41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2008, 10:41 AM   #191
dude1394
Guru

Duncan took 60% of his shots in the paint and he makes 61% of them.
Boozer took 52% of his shots in the paint and he makes 62% of them.

So let me make sure I understand. Gasol takes more of his shots in the paint than boozer and he's not a low-post player? Well I think that the folks accusing me of not understanding the game may be correct.

If Gasol isn't a low-post scorer I don't know what one is.
Old 02-03-2008, 11:39 AM   #192
V2M
Diamond Member

V2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to behold

Funny... and sad!

Gasol for what?

The Grizzlies trade their best player to the Lakers for questionable talent and draft picks of little potential.

By Geoff Calkins (Contact)
Saturday, February 2, 2008

Later this year, Dick Hackett -- or whatever poor sap accepts the job as the Grizzlies next president of business operations -- will have to approach FedExForum suite holders and ask them to renew their leases. It's hard to imagine how that will go.

Poor Sap: "Renewing your lease will allow you to continue to watch the exciting Grizzlies."

Lease Holder: "Really. Why would I want to do that?"

Poor Sap: "We have lots of cap room."

Lease Holder: "I'm paying tens of thousands to watch cap room?"

Poor Sap: "We might spend it this summer."

Lease Holder: "Might?"

Poor Sap: "Well, we could roll it over until next summer."

Lease Holder: "OK, so who am I watching in the meantime?"

Poor Sap: "Uh, Gasol."

Lease Holder: "Pau is a talented player."

Poor Sap: "It's actually Marc."

Yes, Marc Gasol is part of the flotsam the Grizzlies got back in exchange for his brother, Pau, the man whom Grizzlies general manager Chris Wallace and coach Marc Iavaroni once vowed to build around.

You remember those days, right? They were, oh, eight months ago.

"He's obviously a superstar," said Iavaroni.

"Our intent is to move forward with Pau," said Wallace. "Marc and I believe in augmenting rather than tearing apart."

Until Friday, at least, when the Grizzlies sent Gasol to the Los Angeles Lakers in a deal that was so lopsided in the Lakers' favor, the natural assumption was that Grizzlies owner Michael Heisley had decided to go cheap.

He's strip-mined the business side of the franchise, after all. Why not gut the basketball side, too?

As it turned out, that's apparently not what happened here. Insiders insist that the basketball people -- while aware of the financial considerations -- advocated for the deal.

"When I came here, my first option was to give this thing a chance and see what everybody could do," Wallace said.

And then what? You learned what any fan in the upper deck could have told you at the end of last year? That Gasol can't be the best player on a good team? That he's as soft as a throwed roll?

Wallace and Iavaroni are supposed to be savvy basketball professionals. Gasol has been in the league for seven years. So they needed all these months to decide that he's not a legitimate All-Star? While his stock continued to plunge? And then, having waited until Gasol's value has been obliterated, they're suddenly in a hurry to trade him away?

Wallace has been stunningly gracious since he's arrived in Memphis. People want to give him the benefit of the doubt. But it's hard not to look at what's been happening with the team and wonder if there's a coherent plan.

Why would the Grizzlies sign a lumbering Darko Milicic if they really wanted to run? Why would they even now be planning to trade Stromile Swift to the Nets for another lumberer, Jason Collins? Why would they buy out Damon Stoudamire instead of holding on to him at least until the trade deadline?

OK, that last one's not fair. Wallace was cut out of the deal. Heisley was so eager to remain on good terms with Stoudamire -- who invited him to his wedding, after all -- that he put Stoudamire's interests ahead of the team's.

But Heisley really wasn't trying to take care of Gasol by sending him to play with Kobe Bryant in Los Angeles, even if it might look like that.

"You need to do things to change the face of the franchise from time to time," Wallace said. "We got back a tremendous amount of assets we can use over the next few years."

Right. Assets. Let's take a look at what they got:

The Lakers' first-round picks in 2008 and 2010. Which will be so low in the first round as to be essentially worthless. The Phoenix Suns routinely sell their low first-round picks for cash. Other good teams spend them on players who will stay in Europe a few years and not clutter up their roster.

Point guard Javaris Crittenton. He's the Lakers' first-round pick from last year. The Grizzlies now have three young point guards heading into one of the deepest point-guard drafts in history.

And if the Lakers thought Crittenton was going to be a star, do you think they would have dealt him away? They wouldn't give up Andrew Bynum for anything.

Marc Gasol. Oh, brother. He's a former second-round pick who will almost certainly be dealt.

Kwame Brown and Aaron McKie. Brown is a bust and McKie is retired. They're included only for purposes of cap room. When their contracts expire after the season, the Grizzlies will have an extra $12 million under the cap. Which they can spend on ...

What?

That's the key to the deal. If the Grizzlies go out this summer and pick up Gilbert Arenas, you should tear this column into little pieces.

But do they really want to spend the cash? And even if they did, would a significant, brand-name player want to come and play for this misbegotten franchise?

The Grizzlies have had cap money before; that's how they got Brian Cardinal and Milicic.

Poor Sap: "The Gasol trade is going to make us better in the future."

Lease Holder: "Really? Get back to me then."

To reach Geoff Calkins, call him at 529-2364 or e-mail calkins@commercialappeal.com

Last edited by V2M; 02-03-2008 at 11:40 AM.
V2M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2008, 11:42 AM   #193
rabbitproof
Diamond Member

rabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond repute

I think the NBA is fishy and these two blockbuster trades are fishier than ever but what Tokey says is truth. What kind of organization would they be if they did not let Fisher go? Who knows what went into the decision making process from Fish's end? Maybe they had already been frequenting a LA doctor.

watch your thoughts, they become your words
rabbitproof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2008, 01:43 PM   #194
me770706

me770706 is a jewel in the roughme770706 is a jewel in the roughme770706 is a jewel in the roughme770706 is a jewel in the roughme770706 is a jewel in the rough

memphis is turning into point guard hell just like houston
me770706 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2008, 03:32 PM   #195
cjbcool

cjbcool is on a distinguished road

The Memphis Grizzlies just gave LA the biggest I O U in recent memories.
cjbcool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2008, 03:37 PM   #196
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

Quote:
Duncan took 60% of his shots in the paint and he makes 61% of them.
Boozer took 52% of his shots in the paint and he makes 62% of them.

So let me make sure I understand. Gasol takes more of his shots in the paint than boozer and he's not a low-post player? Well I think that the folks accusing me of not understanding the game may be correct.

If Gasol isn't a low-post scorer I don't know what one is.
I believe I stated that he's a pretty good low post player. I also stated that he's not strictly a back to the basket player. He shoots a lot of face up set shots, only he shoots them from much closer in.

Besides, my entire point was based on the fact that offense is not what we need. Dirk is a more efficient offensive player without being in the pain as much. Our biggest problem this season has been defense, and having Pau take Damp's minutes would have had a huge negative effect on our overall defense.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
Old 02-03-2008, 04:03 PM   #197
cjbcool

cjbcool is on a distinguished road
Default March 2, 2008 MAVS vs LAKERS

The three main positions that it effects are the 3, 4, and 5.
The projected starting 5 is Fisher, Kobe, Odom, Gasol and Bynum when he returns. They have a size advantage against most teams in the league now. Odom is 6'10. He will be physical against most threes, but is not quick enough to get the job done on Defense. While he still loves the perimeter and the mid range game he has lost a step. Gasol is a good post player, but like always Dirk wins this match up. If Bynum picks up where he left off, he will cause problems for us. He isn't fundementally sound yet, but is an athlete. We tend to struggle with athletic big men. Two two headed moster will be weakend in this match up. I think if Diop can stay out of foul trouble he will get the most time against him. Kobe will be Kobe, and Fisher can always kill you on the edge if we don't execute on Defense. Who would you put on Odom? You either make him work every play by putting Brandon Bass on him, or expose him on Defense. We have options. Josh howard, Devean George or even Juwan Howard
This should be a good game. The one thing about the Mavs is that we have versatility. The rest of te League is not that lucky.

Side Note: As far as players go, I doubt that Chemistry will play a BIG role in the success of this deal. The Lakers are upgrading their team with out loosing anything. Phil Jackson will probably use Odom like Pippen in the 90's so Coaching wise, the Chemistry will not be a big deal either. While Odom is no Pippen, he should get the job done. I thought it was remarkable that the Celtics did not have trouble bringing in Garnett and Allen. I could be wrong here also.
cjbcool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2008, 04:24 PM   #198
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Flacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond repute

Why didn't Pao play with them today?

In the NHL, you get traded and you're on a plane and in the lineup that night.
Old 02-03-2008, 04:44 PM   #199
chumdawg
Guru

I'm pretty sure I saw him in uniform on the highlights. I could be wrong, though.
Old 02-03-2008, 04:44 PM   #200
Windmill360
Diamond Member

Windmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond repute

yea he was in uniform (sweats) but he didnt play.