Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 01-14-2022, 12:18 AM   #161
mac222b
Diamond Member

mac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevinHarriswillstart View Post
Teams don't need the S&T when they can just sign Brunson outright.

Listen, nobody wants Powell or THJ, so you'll have to part with guys we like at some point. Trade while the value is high as long as the return makes sense.

Brunson is in the Eric Bledsoe situation he was in while playing behind Chris Paul on the Clippers (although Brunson is better than Eric). It's really tough because if Brunson was a RFA, then we hold all the cards. As it is, our best shot is a deadline trade. I just don't see Cuban paying 20-25 mil a year for him.
It’s still possible a team needs a Sn’T if he wants to go to a specific team or market, like say NYK or Philly. Of course he could just sign outright with a cap space team. But there aren’t many of those, and those with space would have to need a point guard and Jalen would have to want to be there.
mac222b is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-14-2022, 12:22 AM   #162
mac222b
Diamond Member

mac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Teams don't need the S&T when they can just sign Brunson outright.

Listen, nobody wants Powell or THJ, so you'll have to part with guys we like at some point. Trade while the value is high as long as the return makes sense.

Brunson is in the Eric Bledsoe situation he was in while playing behind Chris Paul on the Clippers (although Brunson is better than Eric). It's really tough because if Brunson was a RFA, then we hold all the cards. As it is, our best shot is a deadline trade. I just don't see Cuban paying 20-25 mil a year for him.
I guess we will also have to trust that if they DO trade Brunson at the deadline it’s because he and his camp have them some signals that he intends to walk. Or of course that they got an offer they couldn’t refuse or player that fits better. Conversely, if he’s still here after the deadline it should increase confidence that we feel like we have a great shot at retaining him. Of course, this is Cubes we are talking about. They could miscalculate wildly and it wouldn’t surprise anyone at this point.
Old 01-14-2022, 08:19 AM   #163
BPo001
Diamond Member

BPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond repute

Rick Carlisle was known as Finney-Smith’s biggest advocate in Dallas, sources said, and Indiana has been mentioned as a potential destination. League personnel are also monitoring the possibility Dallas waives Willie Cauley-Stein to create a roster spot for Marquese Chriss, who is on his third 10-day deal with the team
BPo001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2022, 08:42 AM   #164
Dtownsfinest
Diamond Member

Dtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPo001 View Post
Rick Carlisle was known as Finney-Smith’s biggest advocate in Dallas, sources said, and Indiana has been mentioned as a potential destination. League personnel are also monitoring the possibility Dallas waives Willie Cauley-Stein to create a roster spot for Marquese Chriss, who is on his third 10-day deal with the team
The only thing about Indiana is they have absolutely nothing I want unless they want to ship off Brogdon or Levert for DFS and I can't see that.
Dtownsfinest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2022, 10:37 AM   #165
BPo001
Diamond Member

BPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dtownsfinest View Post
The only thing about Indiana is they have absolutely nothing I want unless they want to ship off Brogdon or Levert for DFS and I can't see that.
I’d take Brogdon and Turner for sure, but agree that we have a package of players they would be interested in.
Old 01-14-2022, 11:43 AM   #166
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dtownsfinest View Post
I want nothing of Lavert. He's another one-dimensional guy like THJ.

Turner is a meh.

Brogdon is exactly what we need as a second playmaker

I think Sabonis is the final piece we need next to KP and Luka. Rebounding, passing, inside scoring.

Turner is the only one out there publicly demanding a trade though.
EricaLubarsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2022, 12:09 PM   #167
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

DevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond repute

Brogdon is not healthy though, so that is a gamble. Not sure he is ever healthy.

But if something like Brogdon was involved, then it would have to include Tim's salary.

I could see something like THJ, DFS, Brunson for Brogdon/Turner. I personally wouldn't do that trade, but I have no idea what gets a deal done with the our FO these days. Or what they are even looking for.

DevinHarriswillstart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2022, 12:14 PM   #168
mac222b
Diamond Member

The moment we trade DFS we are right back in the market for a guy just like him. And Cam Reddish just went for a protracted first round pick. Switchy wings are hard to come by. I’d hang onto DFS at all costs. Just pay the man.
Old 01-14-2022, 12:15 PM   #169
Dallas41
Diamond Member

Dallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud of

Quote:
Brogdon is not healthy though, so that is a gamble. Not sure he is ever healthy.

But if something like Brogdon was involved, then it would have to include Tim's salary.

I could see something like THJ, DFS, Brunson for Brogdon/Turner. I personally wouldn't do that trade, but I have no idea what gets a deal done with the our FO these days. Or what they are even looking for.
From my understanding I thought brogdon was ineligible to be traded until after this season.
Dallas41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2022, 02:17 PM   #170
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallas41 View Post
From my understanding I thought brogdon was ineligible to be traded until after this season.
Yes, Brogdon cannot be traded until April, which is after the TDL so he can't be acquired until the offseason.

If we want him, though, we can wait until draft night and then that would allow us to trade the 2022 FRP.

Last edited by EricaLubarsky; 01-14-2022 at 02:21 PM.
Old 01-15-2022, 09:24 AM   #171
Melonhead
Guru

Melonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac222b View Post
The moment we trade DFS we are right back in the market for a guy just like him. And Cam Reddish just went for a protracted first round pick. Switchy wings are hard to come by. I’d hang onto DFS at all costs. Just pay the man.
DFS is different this season. Hell he had 2 baseline drive dunks last night. He’s attacking way more. Nico and Cuban gotta figure out how to keep him and Brunson.
Old 01-15-2022, 11:27 AM   #172
mac222b
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melonhead View Post
DFS is different this season. Hell he had 2 baseline drive dunks last night. He’s attacking way more. Nico and Cuban gotta figure out how to keep him and Brunson.
Yes he definitely has more off the bounce game. I’m sure he works at it and still has room to improve in that regard. I love the dude and I hope we can lock him up for the next four years. Guys that can play 3/4 spots and even guard point of attack in certain matchups are exceedingly rare.

And yes they need to keep Brunson too. I keep going back to how it would look to Luka to have two of the teams top 4 walk. Or even 1 of our top 4! If Cuban is really not willing to pay the tax then the only options are trade KP or THJ. And/Or Powell, Burke and Sterling Brown. Brunson is getting in the neighborhood of 18-22m and Dodo 12-14m I would imagine.
Old 01-15-2022, 12:05 PM   #173
G-Man
Platinum Member

G-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond repute

The Mavs keep talking about needing a secondary ball handler next to Luka...I think they already have him in Brunson. Last year, Carlisle let him get exposed on pick and rolls with his "switch everything" defense, and ended up benching him against the Clips. Thanks to Kidd's more aggressive defense, he no longer gets left on an island against a 6'7" wings, so he's less of a liability. I think Frank will be fine as the 3rd point guard, so I'm all for paying him. i think he's very close to what we'd hoped for when we went hard after Kemba Walker...and for a lot less money.

Keep Jalen, and find some shooters who are less streaky!
Old 01-15-2022, 05:44 PM   #174
BPo001
Diamond Member

Shams Charania: The Dallas Mavericks are waiving center Willie Cauley-Stein and signing Marquese Chriss to a new two-year deal, sources tell @TheAthletic @Stadium. Chriss has averaged 6.8 points and 3.9 rebounds in 12 games for the Mavericks, impressing the team with his energy. – via Twitter ShamsCharania

Last edited by BPo001; 01-15-2022 at 05:45 PM.
Old 01-15-2022, 06:05 PM   #175
mac222b
Diamond Member

Quote:
Shams Charania: The Dallas Mavericks are waiving center Willie Cauley-Stein and signing Marquese Chriss to a new two-year deal, sources tell @TheAthletic @Stadium. Chriss has averaged 6.8 points and 3.9 rebounds in 12 games for the Mavericks, impressing the team with his energy. – via Twitter ShamsCharania
Nice! Really like his game. Hope it’s two years fully guaranteed, no player option.
Old 01-15-2022, 06:06 PM   #176
mac222b
Diamond Member

Sucks to lose WCS for trade matching though.
Old 01-16-2022, 05:16 PM   #177
BPo001
Diamond Member

The Mavericks still haven’t afforded former Villanova point guard Jalen Brunson a contract extension and he has made another leap this season. As The Post has reported multiple times, the Knicks have had Brunson on their radar. Brunson’s father is Rick Brunson — Leon Rose’s initial client when he started his sports agency business out of Cherry Hill, N.J. Thibodeau has had the elder Brunson on his staff for years before he rejoined the Knicks. With “T-Day’’ approaching in 3 ¹/2 weeks, the Mavericks are certainly capable of moving Brunson before the 2018 second-round pick becomes an unrestricted free agent. The Knicks already contacted the Mavericks sometime in the past about Brunson, an NBA source said. “They want him bad,’’ the NBA source said. – via Marc Berman @ New York Post
Old 01-16-2022, 10:10 PM   #178
spreedom
Diamond Member

spreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
The Mavericks still haven’t afforded former Villanova point guard Jalen Brunson a contract extension and he has made another leap this season. As The Post has reported multiple times, the Knicks have had Brunson on their radar. Brunson’s father is Rick Brunson — Leon Rose’s initial client when he started his sports agency business out of Cherry Hill, N.J. Thibodeau has had the elder Brunson on his staff for years before he rejoined the Knicks. With “T-Day’’ approaching in 3 ¹/2 weeks, the Mavericks are certainly capable of moving Brunson before the 2018 second-round pick becomes an unrestricted free agent. The Knicks already contacted the Mavericks sometime in the past about Brunson, an NBA source said. “They want him bad,’’ the NBA source said. – via Marc Berman @ New York Post
I'd probably trade Brunson to get our pick back plus an unprotected future first from the Knicks.
spreedom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2022, 11:27 AM   #179
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

DevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond repute

Brunson is reportedly seeking 4/80 which I think is a no brainer. Just dump Tim this summer to do it. Not saying it will be easy, but Nico isn't paid to twiddle his thumbs.

Old 01-17-2022, 11:46 AM   #180
Melonhead
Guru

Melonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Brunson is reportedly seeking 4/80 which I think is a no brainer. Just dump Tim this summer to do it. Not saying it will be easy, but Nico isn't paid to twiddle his thumbs.
Exactly. We’ve seen wayyyy worse contracts moved in the last few seasons. They can figure out how to move 20m THJ
Old 01-17-2022, 01:23 PM   #181
DannyFortsonBakedPotato
Banned

DannyFortsonBakedPotato is infamous around these partsDannyFortsonBakedPotato is infamous around these partsDannyFortsonBakedPotato is infamous around these parts

Based on the contracts of guys like THJ, Joe Harris, Duncan Robinson, etc., yeah, Brunson will get 20M.
DannyFortsonBakedPotato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2022, 01:29 PM   #182
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyFortsonBakedPotato View Post
Based on the contracts of guys like THJ, Joe Harris, Duncan Robinson, etc., yeah, Brunson will get 20M.
And none of those guys have the upside of Brunson. He keeps getting better and better and plays a pivotal position.

I even think he'll get a better offer than that.

Again, my mindset has shifted to Luka/Brunson/KP as our big three. Trade anyone else for upgrades.

Last edited by DevinHarriswillstart; 01-17-2022 at 01:30 PM.
Old 01-17-2022, 02:04 PM   #183
BPo001
Diamond Member

They have to pay JB 4/$80 million if that’s his asking price. As other have said lesser players have gotten that. I think JB could get more on the FA market. Hopefully we don’t have to find out. Lock him in. Trade the rest of the guys for upgrades.
Old 01-17-2022, 02:45 PM   #184
mac222b
Diamond Member

So say we move Tim and re-sign Brunson to 4/80m and DFS gets 4/52. What would the tax bill look like? We would also have the tax payer MLE right?
Old 01-17-2022, 02:48 PM   #185
mac222b
Diamond Member

Dwight Powell and Trey Burke are expiring too after next season. As is Sterling Brown. Reggie Bullock 3rd year only partial guarantee 3rd year so he has a good contract should be moveable.

Just hope we don’t have to give up a 1st rd. pick to get off of THJ or these other guys.

Last edited by mac222b; 01-17-2022 at 02:48 PM.
Old 01-17-2022, 03:55 PM   #186
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

Rumors that we are the top team to get Turner for either Powell/DFS or Powell/Brunson. I don't take much stock in rumors until closer to the deadline, but obviously I'd pick Powell/DFS if it came to it.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/...pots?share=sms

The reality is that we aren't going to be able to keep both Brunson and DFS this offseason. You're going to have to pick one or the other and even then you'll have to dump money (THJ) elsewhere.

Old 01-17-2022, 04:10 PM   #187
BPo001
Diamond Member

Quote:
Rumors that we are the top team to get Turner for either Powell/DFS or Powell/Brunson. I don't take much stock in rumors until closer to the deadline, but obviously I'd pick Powell/DFS if it came to it.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/...pots?share=sms

The reality is that we aren't going to be able to keep both Brunson and DFS this offseason. You're going to have to pick one or the other and even then you'll have to dump money (THJ) elsewhere.
This is the last report I saw for Turner. We don’t have 2 first round picks to offer, and I wouldn’t do that if we did.

Indiana has endured an underwhelming season due partly to injuries and COVID outbreaks leading rival executives to believe the Pacers could be in for a roster shakeup as the deadline approaches. The Pacers are seeking two first-round picks or a promising young player and a first-round pick in exchange for Myles Turner, the NBA’s top shot blocker, league sources told HoopsHype. 11 hours ago – via Michael Scotto @ HoopsHype
Old 01-17-2022, 04:31 PM   #188
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

Nobody is giving up two firsts for Turner unless they absolutely love him and have firsts stockpiled up. Don't see it.

Not saying the Mavs have any real chance at him, but two firsts is a negotiating tactic and and poor one at best.

Old 01-17-2022, 07:11 PM   #189
Melonhead
Guru

Quote:
Nobody is giving up two firsts for Turner unless they absolutely love him and have firsts stockpiled up. Don't see it.

Not saying the Mavs have any real chance at him, but two firsts is a negotiating tactic and and poor one at best.
Yeah that’s smoke. Indy is not getting 2 firsts
Old 01-17-2022, 07:22 PM   #190
SMC0007
Guru

SMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond repute

I'm still not convinced on KP and Turner at 4/5. Rum protection would be primo, but forwards might feast. I'm sure we could make it work.

you just proofed how stupid you are - CRAZYBOY

Last edited by SMC0007; 01-17-2022 at 07:22 PM.
SMC0007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2022, 02:21 PM   #191
Dallas41
Diamond Member

Dallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud of

Turner might have issues now with a previous stress fracture in his foot.

I don't think the Mavs will touch him now especially after they got burnt with J.J. Reddick trade from last year because of his injuries.
Old 01-18-2022, 02:30 PM   #192
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

Quote:
Turner might have issues now with a previous stress fracture in his foot.

I don't think the Mavs will touch him now especially after they got burnt with J.J. Reddick trade from last year because of his injuries.
I really hope we don't pay fullprice for Turner. Bigs with foot problems are trouble and I'm not convinced he would play well with KP.
Old 01-18-2022, 02:43 PM   #193
BPo001
Diamond Member

Marc Stein: The Mavericks have been frequently linked to a trade pursuit of Indiana’s Myles Turner, but league sources say Dallas had already backed off on its interest even before Turner’s foot injury and with its team defense already flourishing at No. 5 overall in defensive efficiency. – via Twitter TheSteinLine
Old 01-18-2022, 02:51 PM   #194
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

Quote:
Marc Stein: The Mavericks have been frequently linked to a trade pursuit of Indiana’s Myles Turner, but league sources say Dallas had already backed off on its interest even before Turner’s foot injury and with its team defense already flourishing at No. 5 overall in defensive efficiency. – via Twitter TheSteinLine
And I trust Stein. It's worse when for some reason people are taking a page from Morey's playbook with ridiculous price tags.

No team is going to offer two firsts for Turner. He might get you a mid to tale single first and a second at best.

And I doubt a deal gets done in general with that foot injury.

There are rumors about Montrezl Harrell being available. I'd be down with that for the right price.

Old 01-18-2022, 02:55 PM   #195
spreedom
Diamond Member

spreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I was in favor of taking a swing on Turner just as a bet on talent, but it seems like he was both an imperfect fit for us and one that we didn't have the assets to bid for.

If we have any way to get them, I think PFs like Jerami Grant, Pascal Siakam, John Collins, Larry Nance Jr, or our old homeboy Harrison Barnes should all be on our target list. I don't know if we have the assets to get any of them, but they all seem like they'd slot in pretty nicely next to Porzingis at center.
spreedom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2022, 03:31 PM   #196
DannyFortsonBakedPotato
Banned

DannyFortsonBakedPotato is infamous around these partsDannyFortsonBakedPotato is infamous around these partsDannyFortsonBakedPotato is infamous around these parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by spreedom View Post
I was in favor of taking a swing on Turner just as a bet on talent, but it seems like he was both an imperfect fit for us and one that we didn't have the assets to bid for.

If we have any way to get them, I think PFs like Jerami Grant, Pascal Siakam, John Collins, Larry Nance Jr, or our old homeboy Harrison Barnes should all be on our target list. I don't know if we have the assets to get any of them, but they all seem like they'd slot in pretty nicely next to Porzingis at center.

Siakim would be beyond perfect for us, but no chance there. The rest are all solid fits, especially Collins. But as you mentioned, don't see it happening.

I do think Turner would be a great piece here, but not sure you can start him and KP together. Insane rim protection, but neither are great on the perimeter/in the PnR.
Old 01-18-2022, 07:57 PM   #197
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

Jerami Grant apparently wants a 4/112 extension and to be the primary offensive weapon on any team that trades for him.

Don't you love when players make demands on 10 win teams? Darling.

Old 01-18-2022, 08:25 PM   #198
Dallas41
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyFortsonBakedPotato View Post
Siakim would be beyond perfect for us, but no chance there. The rest are all solid fits, especially Collins. But as you mentioned, don't see it happening.

I do think Turner would be a great piece here, but not sure you can start him and KP together. Insane rim protection, but neither are great on the perimeter/in the PnR.
I personally think people are knocking Turner and how fits with KP but John Collins IMO is bad fit defensively next to KP.

Collins would help the offense but I suspect the Mavs defense when they go with lineups of KP, Collins, THJ, Brunson and Luka would turn into a total disaster

Turner might not be the offensive talent that Collins is but he still brings something to the table as a stretch on offense and his defensively it's not even close between him and Collins

I think if the Mavs had to choose knowing J.Kidd's defensive mindset he'd side with Turner but that foot issue makes me thinks the Mavs would clearly pass now unless the Pacers significantly lower their asking price.
Old 01-18-2022, 09:05 PM   #199
Scoobay
Golden Member

Scoobay has a brilliant futureScoobay has a brilliant futureScoobay has a brilliant futureScoobay has a brilliant futureScoobay has a brilliant futureScoobay has a brilliant futureScoobay has a brilliant futureScoobay has a brilliant futureScoobay has a brilliant futureScoobay has a brilliant futureScoobay has a brilliant future

Quote:
Jerami Grant apparently wants a 4/112 extension and to be the primary offensive weapon on any team that trades for him.

Don't you love when players make demands on 10 win teams? Darling.
Uh if you can’t be the primary offensive weapon in Detroit
Where exactly can you go to be the primary?
Back to college? G league? ROFL
Scoobay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2022, 12:24 PM   #200
DannyFortsonBakedPotato
Banned

Quote:
I personally think people are knocking Turner and how fits with KP but John Collins IMO is bad fit defensively next to KP.

Collins would help the offense but I suspect the Mavs defense when they go with lineups of KP, Collins, THJ, Brunson and Luka would turn into a total disaster

Turner might not be the offensive talent that Collins is but he still brings something to the table as a stretch on offense and his defensively it's not even close between him and Collins

I think if the Mavs had to choose knowing J.Kidd's defensive mindset he'd side with Turner but that foot issue makes me thinks the Mavs would clearly pass now unless the Pacers significantly lower their asking price.

Except Collins is much more mobile and can defend better than Turner on the perimeter. That's literally the only edge he has over Turner on defense. Turner is light years better than Collins as a rim protector...but KP is already our rim protector. You can't have two bigs at the same time who struggle to guard the PnR in today's NBA.