Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 03-04-2005, 11:43 PM   #161
Bayliss

Bayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: Dallas @ Lakers GameDay Thread

This is frickin' awful playcalling.
Bayliss is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-04-2005, 11:43 PM   #162
FilthyFinMavs
Diamond Member

FilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the rough
Default RE:Dallas @ Lakers GameDay Thread

Mavs always manage to do this on nationally televised games. I guess they have no shame.

1996-2005
FilthyFinMavs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2005, 11:43 PM   #163
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally posted by: dude1394
They look open to me...
Well, apparently you're just not looking hard enough. Pay a little more attention and get back to me.
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2005, 11:43 PM   #164
ocelot_ark
Diamond Member

ocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud of

STRONG move by Josh taking Kobe to the basket.
Old 03-04-2005, 11:43 PM   #165
Nash13
Diamond Member

Nash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally posted by: Charlie Brown
terry is by far the best option at the point. he rarely forces shots. makes the shots he takes. and does a far better job finding open people than marquis or harris. armstrong might be a better passer, but that's only because that's all he thinks about. if you focus on doing one thing and one thing only, you should be pretty good at it. terry provides the best balance. i think terry's poor passing recently coincided with the loss of dampier. dampier provided an easy target whenever terry drove the lane. terry's a work-in-progress at point guard, but i think we should let him learn by giving him more minutes then letting marquis/armstrong take away his minutes at the point. i think it will pay great dividends in the playoffs.

I think overall, Terry is the best option. But right now, Daniels might be better because injuries are forcing him to take more shots. And what some people fail to realize is that we need scoring from Quis. I think he's the second best on this team when it comes to creating his own shot.

And i think Terry is a better shooter, but he's not agressive when it comes to scoring.

And Terry isn't losing minutes to Quis, Harris is.
The wind rises electric. She's soft and warm and almost weightless. Her perfume is sweet promise that brings tears to my eyes. I tell her that everything will be all right; that I'll save her from whatever she's scared and take her far far away. I tell her that I love her. The silencer makes a whisper of the gunshot. I hold her close until she's gone. I'll never know what she was running from. I'll cash her check in the morning.

~The Salesman
Nash13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2005, 11:45 PM   #166
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

Dirk has to grab an offensive board just so he can get a touch on the offensive end.

Nellie is an idiot.
Old 03-04-2005, 11:45 PM   #167
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally posted by: Murphy3
Honestly, it's about matchups. Nellie believes that everyone can drive on their man. So, he's calling for that. No, it's not nearly as efficient as Dirk doing his thing, but hey...it's matchup ball. That's just how that dumb fatass Don Nelson rolls.
Can't argue with that. But, it *is* tied at the half. We'll see if we can put the hammer down in the second half here.
chumdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2005, 11:46 PM   #168
Murphy3
Guru

Only Daniels and Dirk have more than 1 rebound.
Old 03-04-2005, 11:46 PM   #169
ocelot_ark
Diamond Member

ocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud of

That shot by Kobe at the buzzer should NEVER happen. That's pathetic.

All things being equal, we're not doing that bad. We're playing about as poor as we have this season and we've sustained an 18 point Kobe half and we're still tied. I'm pretty confident we'll pull this one out.
Old 03-04-2005, 11:47 PM   #170
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

22 trips to the FT line. Way to be aggressive mavs.
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
dude1394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2005, 11:47 PM   #171
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Quote:
They look open to me...
Well, apparently you're just not looking hard enough. Pay a little more attention and get back to me.

Apparently you are a broken records, find a new one and get back to me.
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
Old 03-04-2005, 11:48 PM   #172
Murphy3
Guru

You know what Dude, if you are not capable of looking at the boxscore and watching the game and coming up with a common sense opinion, then so be it. I can honestly say that I don't give a damn about what you have to say. It's just not worth it. Bury your head in the sand if that's what you want to do. I could really care less.
Old 03-04-2005, 11:48 PM   #173
FilthyFinMavs
Diamond Member

FilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
They look open to me...I'm not completely in love with the dirk one-on-one play. I have no issue with that being more reserved for when we go to a half-court game.

I would like to see a center out there however but bradley's line looked pretty sad.
I agree with you there. When we go into that one on one game with Dirk the end result is the team watching Dirk play. I have no problem with the shot attempts the guys are taking but they need to use their common sense. Daniels and Josh know a majority of their shots shouldn't be jumpshots. Their games are in the post and that's where they should stay.

1996-2005
Old 03-04-2005, 11:48 PM   #174
Bayliss

Bayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond repute

Nellie reminds me of some "neo-artist" that just flings sh%t everywhere on the canvas... and then calls it art.

Yeah I guess some people like it. I guess some people would pay big bucks for it. But it's still "throwing sh%t on the wall and hopes it sticks."
Bayliss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2005, 11:49 PM   #175
Charlie Brown

Charlie Brown is on a distinguished road

sacramento nearly went to the finals playing a team game and spreading the wealth on offense. detroit won a championship spreading the wealth on offense. so you can win playing that kind of ball, but a big difference between the mavs and the sac/detroit teams (besides sac's superior passing ability and detroit's superior defense) is that the mavs have one player who's clearly head and shoulders above the rest of the team in terms of offensive skill, so the shots need to be allocated accordingly. the mavs aren't doing that this game and once everyone's healthy, i worry that nelson will continue to take shots/touches away from dirk.
3. Heidi Klum - the source of my perspiration
Charlie Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2005, 11:49 PM   #176
4cwebb
Golden Member

4cwebb is a glorious beacon of light4cwebb is a glorious beacon of light4cwebb is a glorious beacon of light4cwebb is a glorious beacon of light4cwebb is a glorious beacon of light4cwebb is a glorious beacon of light4cwebb is a glorious beacon of light

OK, is there any reason why Daniels has double the shot attempts of Dirk? I'm not a huge hater of Daniels, and he is clearly playing aggressively, but it's not good for this Mavs' team for the ball to not be in Dirk's hands as often as possible on the offensive end.

Disclaimer: I'm not watching the game -- I'm listening on NBA inside ticket -- so I can't see if the Lakers are just doubling Dirk each time he touches the ball. Failing that, I don't think there is any reason for Daniels to out shoot Dirk 12 to 6 in any half of any game unless he has made 70% or greater of his shots (which he hasn't tonight).

The result is that the Mavs are tied with this crappy Lakers team at halftime. Memo to Marquis: this team did pretty well when you weren't playing on the offensive end with Dirk leading the charge (and Stackhouse and Finley taking their turns every once and awhile at being the primary scorers). Feel free to replace Finley or Stackhouse. Please do not try to replace Dirk.
4cwebb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2005, 11:50 PM   #177
Charlie Brown

Charlie Brown is on a distinguished road

3. Heidi Klum - the source of my perspiration
Charlie Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2005, 11:51 PM   #178
dude1394
Guru

Quote:
You know what Dude, if you are not capable of looking at the boxscore and watching the game and coming up with a common sense opinion, then so be it. I don't really care. You are no longer worth talking to.
Good because I ALWAYS know what's coming from yourself. Same old, same old. Dirk doesn't shoot enough, dirk doesn't touch it enought, nellie is an idiot, no one should shoot unless dirk touches it, we should be like the lakers and have dirk throw up 17 shots a half. whatever.
Old 03-04-2005, 11:52 PM   #179
Murphy3
Guru

Quote:
Originally posted by: 4cwebb
OK, is there any reason why Daniels has double the shot attempts of Dirk? I'm not a huge hater of Daniels, and he is clearly playing aggressively, but it's not good for this Mavs' team for the ball to not be in Dirk's hands as often as possible on the offensive end.

Disclaimer: I'm not watching the game -- I'm listening on NBA inside ticket -- so I can't see if the Lakers are just doubling Dirk each time he touches the ball. Failing that, I don't think there is any reason for Daniels to out shoot Dirk 12 to 6 in any half of any game unless he has made 70% or greater of his shots (which he hasn't tonight).

The result is that the Mavs are tied with this crappy Lakers team at halftime. Memo to Marquis: this team did pretty well when you weren't playing on the offensive end with Dirk leading the charge (and Stackhouse and Finley taking their turns every once and awhile at being the primary scorers). Feel free to replace Finley or Stackhouse. Please do not try to replace Dirk.
Dirk's nto being doubled. He's simply not getting touches. As soon as Daniels, KVH, Howard, or Stack get the ball on offense, they are trying to take their man off of the dribble.
Old 03-04-2005, 11:52 PM   #180
FilthyFinMavs
Diamond Member

Quote:
Quote:
You know what Dude, if you are not capable of looking at the boxscore and watching the game and coming up with a common sense opinion, then so be it. I don't really care. You are no longer worth talking to.
Good because I ALWAYS know what's coming from yourself. Same old, same old. Dirk doesn't shoot enough, dirk doesn't touch it enought, nellie is an idiot, no one should shoot unless dirk touches it, we should be like the lakers and have dirk throw up 17 shots a half. whatever.
Well it works for the 6ers and the Lakers right? [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

1996-2005
Old 03-04-2005, 11:53 PM   #181
ocelot_ark
Diamond Member

My strategy for the second half...point Dirk. That way he can get more touches and it pulls their best rebounder away from the basket. BRILLIANT!
Old 03-04-2005, 11:54 PM   #182
dude1394
Guru

Quote:
Originally posted by: 4cwebb

Crappy lakers team .500 in the west and at home. If we aren't blowing them out by the first quarter then nellie is an idiot. Oh...yeah and dirk didn't shoot 17 times.

Old 03-04-2005, 11:54 PM   #183
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Only Daniels and Dirk have more than 1 rebound.
ugh....

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"
sike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2005, 11:55 PM   #184
Murphy3
Guru

Quote:
Quote:
I have not mentioned anything about Dirk needing to throw up an insane amount of shots ONE FREAKING time. It's pretty damn obvious that Dirk needs some touches whenever the offense cannot buy a freaking bucket. Yes, I know that the Mavs have gotten to the line 20 times, but they are only shooting 36 freaking percent from the floor. And 6 of the attempts from the line are from Dirk. No, they are not from offensive touches. He was fouled on a 'd' board and he was fouled after an 'o' board. He's simply not touching the ball whenever the offense is struggling. Where is the common sense in that? Tell me. If I'm being remotely unreasonable, give me some freaking examples of HOW I'M BEING UNREASONABLE. If I'm being a damn BROKEN RECORD, it's because the Dirk is simply not getting enough DAMN touches.
Old 03-04-2005, 11:56 PM   #185
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

just the same as last night except the Lakers dont have as many big men and athletic swingmen
EricaLubarsky is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2005, 11:58 PM   #186
4cwebb
Golden Member

4cwebb is a glorious beacon of light4cwebb is a glorious beacon of light4cwebb is a glorious beacon of light4cwebb is a glorious beacon of light4cwebb is a glorious beacon of light4cwebb is a glorious beacon of light4cwebb is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Quote:

Haven't the Mavs been pretty successful this season when that is the formula? In fact, were it not for all of the injuries that Mavs have suffered this season, they'd probably have a better shot at competing with San Antonio, but since the WC has been realigned, they are stuck in the 4th spot. Still a good place to be heading into the playoffs considering that the 5 - 8 seeds are particularly strong (especially since the CWebb trade).

4cwebb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2005, 11:58 PM   #187
Murphy3
Guru

NO ONE IS FREAKING CALLING FOR DIRK TO SHOOT THE BALL EVERY DAMN TIME DOWN THE COURT. NO ONE.

You are doing ONE THING whenever you resort to that argument Dude. You are losing the argument. You have nothing to counter what others are saying so you are twising what they have to say. I expect more from you than that. No one is asking for Dirk to shoot the ball 17 damn times in the first half. We're asking for some of the offense to run through Dirk. We're asking for one of the most dominant offensive players in the league to have the opportunity to help the team out on offense. Do not twist my words.
Old 03-04-2005, 11:59 PM   #188
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute

Do you think that one significant reason why Dirk isn't getting enough touches is that we have far less than championship caliber point guard play on this team?
Old 03-05-2005, 12:00 AM   #189
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

the good news is that we were only outrebounded by 5 at the half. At one point they were doubling us up, and in the second they led the battle of the boards by 10.

Good news is that I never thought that a team that played poor defense (allowing 49% FG), had poor offense (36%), was nearly doubled up on assists (15-8), was outrebounded by 5 (26-21) could be tied after 24 minutes of play
Old 03-05-2005, 12:01 AM   #190
MavsFanFinley
Guru

MavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond repute

52-52 at the half:

Howard (20) 3-8, 6pts, 1rb, 1blk

Dirk (21) 3-6, 5-6, 11pts, 8rbs, 2as, 1blk

Bradley (10) 2-2, 4pts, 1rb, 1blk

Stackhouse (17) 1-6, 4-4, 6pts, 1rb, 1to, 1stl

Terry (13) 2-3, 1-1, 5pts, 1rb, 3as

Henderson (7) 1-1, 1-1, 3pts, 1rb, 1to

KVH (12) 0-6, 0-1, 4-4, 4pts, 1rb, 1stl

Armstrong (4) 2-2, 2pts, 1as

Daniels (16) 4-12, 0-1, 3-4, 11pts, 7rbs, 2as, 1to, 1stl

I guess some guys took a page out of Finley's book on rebounding. I'm pretty sure Dirk is the only one working for them. I think Daniels rebounded 4 of his own misses.
Old 03-05-2005, 12:01 AM   #191
Murphy3
Guru

Quote:
Originally posted by: chumdawg
Do you think that one significant reason why Dirk isn't getting enough touches is that we have far less than championship caliber point guard play on this team?
Sure, it's possible that that could slightly impact him getting the ball. However, it isn't that difficult to put Dirk on the post and to throw him the ball. It really isn't. It's not difficult to give him the ball from time to time when he's closer than 28-30 feet from the bucket.

Plus, has mediocre point guard play impacted Dirks ability to get ample touches throughout most of this season? No, not for the most part.
Old 03-05-2005, 12:02 AM   #192
chumdawg
Guru

How many minutes will Bradley get in the second half? Henderson? Van Horn?

How many shots/FT's will Dirk attempt in the second half?

Help me sweat this one in, guys. I've got a parlay on the Mavs minus 3 and over 205. I like my chances at this point.
Old 03-05-2005, 12:02 AM   #193
FilthyFinMavs
Diamond Member

Damn Dirk's 5-6 from the field. I had no idea he was shooting that well. Dirk needs to start calling for the ball.

1996-2005
Old 03-05-2005, 12:03 AM   #194
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

well we might need Bradley's one-dimensional offensive game out there if no one else scores and Dirk can't get the ball. [img]i/expressions/moon.gif[/img]
Old 03-05-2005, 12:04 AM   #195
FilthyFinMavs
Diamond Member

BTW, am I the only one who caught Bill Walton say Jason Terry was a great free agent acquistion lol?

1996-2005
Old 03-05-2005, 12:04 AM   #196
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute

too many turnovers

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"
Old 03-05-2005, 12:04 AM   #197
PepperTheMavsFan41

PepperTheMavsFan41 is on a distinguished road

Great start to the 2nd!!!

We dont get a rebound.

Shocking.
I can kill cause in god I trust.
It's EVOLUTION baby.
PepperTheMavsFan41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2005, 12:05 AM   #198
tgfan
Golden Member

tgfan is a splendid one to beholdtgfan is a splendid one to beholdtgfan is a splendid one to beholdtgfan is a splendid one to beholdtgfan is a splendid one to beholdtgfan is a splendid one to beholdtgfan is a splendid one to beholdtgfan is a splendid one to beholdtgfan is a splendid one to beholdtgfan is a splendid one to beholdtgfan is a splendid one to behold

Phantom foul call there on Bradley. Did he even touch Mihm?
tgfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2005, 12:05 AM   #199
ocelot_ark
Diamond Member

that's from the free throw line, dirk's 3-6
Old 03-05-2005, 12:05 AM   #200
sike
The Preacha

and 1! Stackattack