Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 02-25-2010, 01:07 AM   #161
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flacolaco View Post
I've been trying to tell people this same thing forever. They have a hard time hearing it for some reason.
Ok, let me preface this by saying that you're my boy, Blue. For sure.

But you sir, are not a realist. You are a pessimist of the highest order.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com
jthig32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-25-2010, 01:08 AM   #162
LonghornDub

LonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I've been trying to tell people this same thing forever. They have a hard time hearing it for some reason.
You know I love you dude, but I think you are somewhat more pessimist than realist. Case in point:

http://www.dallas-mavs.com/vb/showpo...57&postcount=6

Then, they end up winning without one of their four best players, and despite shooting only 43%. So I'm not sure how realistic your concerns were.

"Your'e a low-mentality drama gay queen!!" -- She_Growls
LonghornDub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 01:08 AM   #163
CadBane
Banned

CadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond repute

Per Haywood-Damp.

It's not that close offensively. Haywood has legitimate moves in the post one on one that Damp does NOT have. Haywood has a very nice jump-hook in the paint. Not to mention his hands are way better and he's twice the finisher Damp is.
CadBane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 01:08 AM   #164
LonghornDub

LonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by jthig32 View Post

Jinx.

Old 02-25-2010, 01:09 AM   #165
aurelino9

aurelino9 is a name known to allaurelino9 is a name known to allaurelino9 is a name known to allaurelino9 is a name known to allaurelino9 is a name known to allaurelino9 is a name known to allaurelino9 is a name known to allaurelino9 is a name known to allaurelino9 is a name known to all

As a footnote, Kidd got a steal and is now tied with Pippen for #5 on the All-time steals list. He needs 4 more to pass Maurice Cheeks to become #4, with only Stockton, Jordan and Payton ahead.
aurelino9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 01:09 AM   #166
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute
Talking

Quote:

THIS!!!!! The King of Grump (or do you prefer "Grump King"?) is not known for being even keel.

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"
sike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 01:11 AM   #167
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by aurelino9 View Post
As a footnote, Kidd got a steal and is now tied with Pippen for #5 on the All-time steals list. He needs 4 more to pass Maurice Cheeks to become #4, with only Stockton, Jordan and Payton ahead.
How AWESOME is this!

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"
Old 02-25-2010, 01:12 AM   #168
clutch#41
Golden Member

clutch#41 is a jewel in the roughclutch#41 is a jewel in the roughclutch#41 is a jewel in the rough

id take haywood or damp any day!! not even close! theres a reason why damp has been called "Erica" in the past
clutch#41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 01:12 AM   #169
Mavsfan4ever
Golden Member

Mavsfan4ever is a splendid one to beholdMavsfan4ever is a splendid one to beholdMavsfan4ever is a splendid one to beholdMavsfan4ever is a splendid one to beholdMavsfan4ever is a splendid one to beholdMavsfan4ever is a splendid one to beholdMavsfan4ever is a splendid one to beholdMavsfan4ever is a splendid one to beholdMavsfan4ever is a splendid one to beholdMavsfan4ever is a splendid one to beholdMavsfan4ever is a splendid one to behold

After tonight's showing the sky is the limit for this team barring injury, but I'm not counting my chickens before they hatch.
Old 02-25-2010, 01:14 AM   #170
sike
The Preacha

Quote:
Originally Posted by clutch#41 View Post
id take haywood or damp any day!! not even close! theres a reason why damp has been called "Erica" in the past
Because Shaq is a hilarious douche?

Old 02-25-2010, 01:14 AM   #171
LonghornDub

Quote:
Originally Posted by clutch#41 View Post
Because Shaq is an arrogant d*ck?

*edit* Sike...

Last edited by LonghornDub; 02-25-2010 at 01:15 AM.
Old 02-25-2010, 01:16 AM   #172
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

Thespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond repute

I have to say, the Haywood/Damp combo is what excites me the most. No more defensive liabilities at center. No more worrying about Damp getting in early foul trouble.
Thespiralgoeson is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 01:16 AM   #173
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by sike View Post
thig, I like damp too...but yes, when all things considered, Haywood is a significantly better offensive player than Damp.
Well...I guess I just don't see where you see that. Better? Yes. Significantly? How? For their careers Damp has slightly lower scoring rate and much better efficiency numbers.

You're not going to dump the ball into them for post play on a regular basis, so I'm not relaly seeing the "significantly better" claim.

Significantly better for this team, yes, simply because he's better at catching a basketball and has better instincts for making himself available for passes. But in a different offensive system I don't think you'd see much difference offensively.

Regardless, I love me some Haywood and having Damp as your backup center is an incredible luxury.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com
Old 02-25-2010, 01:17 AM   #174
clutch#41
Golden Member

clutch#41 is a jewel in the roughclutch#41 is a jewel in the roughclutch#41 is a jewel in the rough

haywood is more longer, athletic and a more polished player!! damp has his days dont get me wrong but i hope haywood retires a mav!!
Old 02-25-2010, 01:18 AM   #175
LonghornDub

The Mavs are going to miss Damp when he's gone, Haywood or not. Mark my words.

Old 02-25-2010, 01:19 AM   #176
BGMaverick9
Guru

BGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thespiralgoeson View Post
I have to say, the Haywood/Damp combo is what excites me the most. No more defensive liabilities at center. No more worrying about Damp getting in early foul trouble.
True, because he won't be the starter
Old 02-25-2010, 01:20 AM   #177
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

Thespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonghornDub View Post
The Mavs are going to miss Damp when he's gone, Haywood or not. Mark my words.
I'm crossing my fingers that whichever team we send him to ends up waiving him, and the Mavs pick him up again for a small price. If not, then you're right, we will miss him.
Old 02-25-2010, 01:21 AM   #178
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

Male30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
In fairness to Spiral, (because comparing his anti-homer traits to your anti-homer traits is a huge insult), he isn't nearly as Eeyore-like as you:

Old 02-25-2010, 01:21 AM   #179
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

Quote:
I'm crossing my fingers that whichever team we send him to ends up waiving him, and the Mavs pick him up again for a small price. If not, then you're right, we will miss him.
Before we picked Haywood I would have said there was a 99% chance that was going to happen.

With Haywood it might be slightly less likely, but I'd still consider it very likely.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
Old 02-25-2010, 01:22 AM   #180
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

Quote:

Quote:
You know I love you dude, but I think you are somewhat more pessimist than realist. Case in point:

Then, they end up winning without one of their four best players, and despite shooting only 43%. So I'm not sure how realistic your concerns were.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Male28Dan View Post
In fairness to Spiral, (because comparing his anti-homer traits to your anti-homer traits is a huge insult), he isn't nearly as Eeyore-like as you:

Now we're just dogpiling. lol

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
Old 02-25-2010, 01:22 AM   #181
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

Male30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Seriously. That shift key is not going to bite you.

That is the Caps Lock key... Sheesh.
Old 02-25-2010, 01:23 AM   #182
Mavsfan4ever
Golden Member

Mavsfan4ever is a splendid one to beholdMavsfan4ever is a splendid one to beholdMavsfan4ever is a splendid one to beholdMavsfan4ever is a splendid one to beholdMavsfan4ever is a splendid one to beholdMavsfan4ever is a splendid one to beholdMavsfan4ever is a splendid one to beholdMavsfan4ever is a splendid one to beholdMavsfan4ever is a splendid one to beholdMavsfan4ever is a splendid one to beholdMavsfan4ever is a splendid one to behold

Damp/Haywood is a great combo at center I'm going to hate to see Damp go.
Old 02-25-2010, 01:23 AM   #183
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

Quote:

I try my best damnit!!
Old 02-25-2010, 01:23 AM   #184
sike
The Preacha

Quote:

Significantly better for this team, yes, simply because he's better at catching a basketball and has better instincts for making himself available for passes.
I mean this seriously: you have just made my ENTIRE argument. Damp is often (not only occasionally) poor at the simplest offensive actions like catching the ball, getting open, positioning himself for a score, and finishing.

Not to mention that Haywood is much quicker off the floor, has a better vertical when he does jump, and enjoys dunking the ball in traffic.

brother man, don't let get lost in the stats on this issue...neither have ever been asked to do much offensively. I think Haywood will continue to blossom under Kidd, whereas we know exactly what Damp offers this team.

Last edited by sike; 02-25-2010 at 01:24 AM.
Old 02-25-2010, 01:24 AM   #185
pkdumas
Golden Member

pkdumas is a name known to allpkdumas is a name known to allpkdumas is a name known to allpkdumas is a name known to allpkdumas is a name known to allpkdumas is a name known to allpkdumas is a name known to allpkdumas is a name known to allpkdumas is a name known to allpkdumas is a name known to allpkdumas is a name known to all

In my probably unoriginal opinion, the best thing about the trade was that we got a lot tougher at 3 positions. Stats might not be a huge difference, but we got a big ass serving of intangibles, enthusiasm and toughness. And it's nice to finally have a thug to call our own (c'mon, you know who).
Old 02-25-2010, 01:25 AM   #186
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Flacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

Realistic?

It's the Lakers, dude. The Lakers. If JET hadn't played like it was 2006, they would have gotten owned pretty hard.

And BTW, I have no trouble with people calling me a pessimist.That's well earned. But if anyone calls into question my passion for this team, then we'll have words.
Old 02-25-2010, 01:25 AM   #187
sike
The Preacha

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkdumas View Post
In my probably unoriginal opinion, the best thing about the trade was that we got a lot tougher at 3 positions. Stats might not be a huge difference, but we got a big ass serving of intangibles, enthusiasm and toughness. And it's nice to finally have a thug to call our own (c'mon, you know who).
I see exactly what you mean and totally agree...but don't discount the serious talent upgrade we got either.

Old 02-25-2010, 01:27 AM   #188
sike
The Preacha

Quote:
But if anyone calls into question my passion for this team, then we'll have words.
don't challenge this man!

he will crush you at a game of words:

Old 02-25-2010, 01:28 AM   #189
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

Quote:
Realistic?

It's the Lakers, dude. The Lakers. If JET hadn't played like it was 2006, they would have gotten owned pretty hard.

And BTW, I have no trouble with people calling me a pessimist.That's well earned. But if anyone calls into question my passion for this team, then we'll have words.
I call into question your passion for this team.

Shall we proceed with having words?
Old 02-25-2010, 01:28 AM   #190
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

Quote:
I mean this seriously: you have just made my ENTIRE argument. Damp is often (not only occasionally) poor at the simplest offensive actions like catching the ball, getting open, positioning himself for a score, and finishing.
The man's got hands. Something no other Maverick center in recent memory has had.
Old 02-25-2010, 01:30 AM   #191
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Flacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I call into question your passion for this team.

Shall we proceed with having words?
Let the "Yo momma so fat" contest begin!!!
Old 02-25-2010, 01:30 AM   #192
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkdumas View Post
I think you can see very clearly just what Josh Howard was doing to this thing in the locker room. I'd always thought Josh's attitude stuff was a little overblown..and you can't discount the effect of simply winning games.

But the way these guys are acting after this trade, combined with all the info that is leaking out, has be convinced that Josh had just completely lost his motivation and it was destroying this thing from the inside out.

What a shame.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
Old 02-25-2010, 01:30 AM   #193
sike
The Preacha

Quote:
Will the Mavs have money for that after they sign whoever they traded damp's contract to get?

Old 02-25-2010, 01:31 AM   #194
pkdumas
Golden Member

pkdumas is a name known to allpkdumas is a name known to allpkdumas is a name known to allpkdumas is a name known to allpkdumas is a name known to allpkdumas is a name known to allpkdumas is a name known to allpkdumas is a name known to allpkdumas is a name known to allpkdumas is a name known to allpkdumas is a name known to all

Quote:
I see exactly what you mean and totally agree...but don't discount the serious talent upgrade we got either.
Can't disagree with that. Josh and Caron are technically equal talents (potential), but the difference is health and motivation. DeShawn is just meaner than Ross/Singleton. Gooden can actually out-stat Haywood, but obviously we do not need a finesse "center" who is undersized. Haywood is what we need. Gooden can fill a boxscore, but Haywood can change the "geometry of the game".
Old 02-25-2010, 01:32 AM   #195
pkdumas
Golden Member

Quote:
The pessimists are the true diehards.
Old 02-25-2010, 01:32 AM   #196
LonghornDub

Quote:
Realistic?

I mean, it's very easy to say something was "realistic" ex ante, but ex post your comment clearly was not realistic, because it didn't match up with reality.

As for "It's the Lakers," yes, the Lakers are very good. They would likely beat the Mavs more than 50% of the time. But I'm not ready to crown them just yet. They aren't unbeatable, and they haven't even played that well all year against the best teams (1-1 against the Cavs, 0-2 against the Nuggets, 1-1 against the Celtics, 2-2 against the Mavs, etc.). So I don't feel it was particularly realistic to ask the Mavs to not get embarrassed.

And I don't even remotely question your passion. I just think people deal with things in different ways. But I happen to think your way shades much more toward pessimism than realism, which is fine.

Old 02-25-2010, 01:33 AM   #197
sike
The Preacha

Quote:
The man's got hands. Something no other Maverick center in recent memory has had.
Its like he said about himself, he is an "opportunistic scorer". We can't count the number of times teammates have tried to pass to Damp and he simply wasn't aware enough to be looking for the pass. I think that goes away with Haywood.

Old 02-25-2010, 01:33 AM   #198
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

Quote:
Will the Mavs have money for that after they sign whoever they traded damp's contract to get?
I forget how the rules work. Will we still have the MLE or no? If not, I wonder if we could get him for the vet-min. I mean, he is pretty old.
Old 02-25-2010, 01:33 AM   #199
clutch#41
Golden Member

caron and howard arent equal talents!!
Caron is aggresive and better defender,that actually loves to play the game
Howard played with no passion and now hes gonna be spending the rest of the year rolling blunts and watching the playoffs!!
Old 02-25-2010, 01:33 AM   #200
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

Quote:
Can't imagine that Damp is going to demand much money this summer. And the Mavs will have their Mid and Low exceptions to play with.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game

Tags
dirk pwns ur face 4ever!!