Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 08-01-2020, 12:43 AM   #161
Scoobay
Golden Member

Scoobay has a brilliant futureScoobay has a brilliant futureScoobay has a brilliant futureScoobay has a brilliant futureScoobay has a brilliant futureScoobay has a brilliant futureScoobay has a brilliant futureScoobay has a brilliant futureScoobay has a brilliant futureScoobay has a brilliant futureScoobay has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac222b View Post
It’s not the most efficient shot, but he needs to work on the midrange pull-up/floater. Tough shot going full steam. But something along the lines of what Kawhi does. It means they have to guard 3 planes. Right now he’s 3 point or finish at the rim or, tonight especially, pass. They were waiting on the corner pass. Too predictable.
a few thoughts -

1. yes they were sitting on the corner pass - thus my suggestion that maxi cut to the hoop - he'd have a dunk or alley-oop

2. I think they need to go to Luka in the post in crunch time (or as part of their regular game plan). Especially when they were running action to get harden on Luka. I'm still miffed that they didn't foul him out way earlier. But when they switch him onto Luka, Luka can punish him down low or get the foul.

3. KP is still a work in progress - he needs stronger hands and to keep the ball up higher with elbows out so as not to get stripped so easily. I did think he got hacked on one post up late but didn't see a replay. I think a few simple screens and some ball movement gets him deep post up position against a shorty and then he can go to work.
Scoobay is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-01-2020, 03:44 AM   #162
Budapest Maverick
Platinum Member

Budapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant future

Luka was pretty awful, but not as awful as Seth. It's okay, they will bounce back.
Budapest Maverick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2020, 05:37 AM   #163
rimrocker
Diamond Member

rimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoobay View Post
a few thoughts -

1. yes they were sitting on the corner pass - thus my suggestion that maxi cut to the hoop - he'd have a dunk or alley-oop

2. I think they need to go to Luka in the post in crunch time (or as part of their regular game plan). Especially when they were running action to get harden on Luka. I'm still miffed that they didn't foul him out way earlier. But when they switch him onto Luka, Luka can punish him down low or get the foul.

3. KP is still a work in progress - he needs stronger hands and to keep the ball up higher with elbows out so as not to get stripped so easily. I did think he got hacked on one post up late but didn't see a replay. I think a few simple screens and some ball movement gets him deep post up position against a shorty and then he can go to work.
Agree with most of this but KP was against a shorty the entire game.
I don't think Rick was creative enough in exposing Houston's greatest weakness (defending the paint/rim) considering we have one of the best 7ft+ players in the league.
Boban was punishing them in the 1st half but never saw the floor in the 2nd.

Last edited by rimrocker; 08-01-2020 at 05:39 AM.
rimrocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2020, 10:19 AM   #164
Melonhead
Guru

Melonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond repute

Probably getting ahead of myself but having Trey Burke could potentially give the team a second ball creator especially in the clutch to take off some heat from Luka. He’s still young with growing pains seems to get one dimensional once they stop running offense at the end of games.

But god their record when it’s 5 points or less is so abysmal
Old 08-01-2020, 10:45 AM   #165
rimrocker
Diamond Member

rimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melonhead View Post
Probably getting ahead of myself but having Trey Burke could potentially give the team a second ball creator especially in the clutch to take off some heat from Luka. He’s still young with growing pains seems to get one dimensional once they stop running offense at the end of games.

But god their record when it’s 5 points or less is so abysmal
I love the fact that Trey stepped up and I think he could potentially make Curry and/or Brunson available in a trade to possibly improve the SL if he can keep this up.
I thought Burke looked extremely comfortable in our offense the first time around and couldn't understand why we let him get away. If nothing else he should take Barea's place next season.
rimrocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2020, 01:23 PM   #166
Dallas41
Diamond Member

Dallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Budapest Maverick View Post
Luka was pretty awful, but not as awful as Seth. It's okay, they will bounce back.
Of course they will bounce back

They always do but the problem all year hasn't been about this team bouncing back.

It's been their inability to hold leads or win close games.

That's why I can't buy into all the hype about their historic so called #1 offense.

Part of the problem is a guy like boban who can get you easy buckets inside which you need late in games is always glued to the bench while other guys who have proven time and time again to be ineffective chucking up 3's late in games continue to be focal point.

When are ever going to try a KP/Boban frontline late in games when we have a lead and allow them to help us sustain the lead with easier buckets inside

I forget who mentioned this doing the season but you can protect boban late in games like this defensively by playing zone.

No way in hell up 7 points with 45 seconds left boban doesn't do 1 of two things for you

Get you a bucket inside to seal the deal or grab that damn rebound on the harden missed ft because because none of those rockets players were big enough to jump over him.

Still miffed that RC didn't make a strategic substitution with him for Kleber late in that game.
Dallas41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2020, 06:10 PM   #167
turin
Diamond Member

turin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallas41 View Post
I forget who mentioned this doing the season but you can protect boban late in games like this defensively by playing zone.
Hello! ;-)

It's sad to see this stuff but not unexpected. I completely expect this crap. That's why I've decided to just follow the highlights moving forward. I'm just emotionally worn out watching the Mavs hope doing the same thing over and over and over again won't yield the same garbage results. SMH

Oh yeah, Burke should've never been let go like I first said what feels like a lifetime ago, but that's one of the least of the questionable Mavs' decisions this season.

It's lobster mini-season, so I'll be getting my masked entertainment diving and spearfishing. :-D. Hope everyone is doing well.

[emoji1366]

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
turin is offline   Reply With Quote