Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 05-22-2012, 06:18 PM   #2201
mavs777
Diamond Member

mavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant future

It's been said that he will sign the first moment he can on july 11th.
Old 05-22-2012, 07:25 PM   #2202
BGMaverick9
Guru

BGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonghornDub View Post
I can't envision a scenario where the Magic trade Dwight on draft night less than six weeks after firing their coach and GM. Unless, I suppose, a team offered a true established superstar in return (which would never happen).

Doesn't mean it's impossible, of course, but it seems incredibly unlikely.
Forgot to make this note:
If the Mavs want any kind of chance to get him, they'll need to be right there on draft night (Lamar).
Old 05-22-2012, 08:21 PM   #2203
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by BGMaverick9 View Post
If the Mavs want any kind of chance to get him, they'll need to be right there on draft night (Lamar).
"anything not named dirk is on the table as long as there's 17.1mill in cap space.
EricaLubarsky is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 08:30 PM   #2204
BGMaverick9
Guru

BGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricaLubarsky View Post
"anything not named dirk is on the table as long as there's 17.1mill in cap space.
The appeal to Orlando changes dramatically if Odom's contract becomes fully guaranteed, no?
Old 05-22-2012, 08:35 PM   #2205
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by BGMaverick9 View Post
I'm not sure I'm 100% following you. Could you give an idea of the kind of package you have in mind?
chumdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 08:44 PM   #2206
BGMaverick9
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by chumdawg View Post
I'm not sure I'm 100% following you. Could you give an idea of the kind of package you have in mind?
Odom's final year is 2.4m if he's waived before June 29th. The draft is the 28th.
The bang for Orlando's buck, from Dallas' perspective, is to do a Dwight deal with Odom involved leading up to the draft. Afterwards, it really doesn't have as much sizzle for Orlando.
Old 05-22-2012, 08:54 PM   #2207
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
That's fine and good, but I still sincerely doubt they're going to trade the guy on draft night. They're at least going to give themselves time to try and put other pieces around him and change his mind. At least that's my guess.

Also, for what it's worth, I'm not sure how much stock to put into Sheridan's stuff anymore. Who knows, though.
Something to keep in mind regarding Dwight and the Nets on draft night (props to DLord for reminding me of this):

NJ is over the cap for this season, and trades before July are based on salaries of the previous season. This means that NJ has to match salaries on trades.

The problem is that between the playoffs and the draft, you can't trade anyone that's about to be a free agent (or has an option to be a free agent). Meaning it's literally impossible, as far as I can tell, for NJ to match salary in a Dwight Howard trade. There's about 4 players on their roster that they can trade, and their salaries don't even add up to 10Mil.

And yes, sometimes draft day trades are delayed into July until the trade rules change, but once NJ is under the cap, are we thinking that Orlando would just take the top 3 pick (assuming NJ keeps it)? No, they'd want players back, meaning they'd have to work out sign and trades, which they can't start doing until July 1.

So, in summation, it's basically impossible for Dwight to be a Net before Deron starts talking to teams on July 1.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com
jthig32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 08:57 PM   #2208
BGMaverick9
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by jthig32 View Post
Something to keep in mind regarding Dwight and the Nets on draft night (props to DLord for reminding me of this):

NJ is over the cap for this season, and trades before July are based on salaries of the previous season. This means that NJ has to match salaries on trades.

The problem is that between the playoffs and the draft, you can't trade anyone that's about to be a free agent (or has an option to be a free agent). Meaning it's literally impossible, as far as I can tell, for NJ to match salary in a Dwight Howard trade. There's about 4 players on their roster that they can trade, and their salaries don't even add up to 10Mil.

And yes, sometimes draft day trades are delayed into July until the trade rules change, but once NJ is under the cap, are we thinking that Orlando would just take the top 3 pick (assuming NJ keeps it)? No, they'd want players back, meaning they'd have to work out sign and trades, which they can't start doing until July 1.

So, in summation, it's basically impossible for Dwight to be a Net before Deron starts talking to teams on July 1.
Awesome clarification.
Old 05-22-2012, 09:10 PM   #2209
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

Yeah, it's pretty impressive, looking at their roster. It looks like they presently have absolutely zero commitment beyond this coming year. I'm sure they aren't near the only ones in this situation. Looks like business in the league may be getting ready to change a lot.
chumdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 09:14 PM   #2210
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

So...two days ago I was convinced that Deron was signing with the Nets. Today, after reading his quotes, particularly this...

Quote:
"July 1 hopefully,'' he said. "Hopefully I’ll know something.''
Since he can't have contact with any teams until July 1, Williams was asked how he'll be able to make a decision that quickly.

"I think I’ll have a good idea,'' he said. "My agent (Jeff Schwartz), he’s done this before. So we’re going to talk, actually today about some scenarios.''

He said "probably'' he'll be taking phone calls from teams at 12:01 a.m. July 1, the soonest teams can contact him.
"I’m, sure when it comes down to the time, it’ll only be between a couple teams,'' he said.
...I'm trying to reign in my excitement.

He's going to make a decision on July 1st? And he thinks it'll only be a couple teams? And he's going out of his way to make it clear he hasn't made a decision?

Man..maybe it's my Mavs homer glasses, but that just screams wink-wink deal with Dallas. If he's signing with the Nets, July 1 makes no difference to him. The Nets are allowed to negotiate with him now.

I'm sure I'll boomerang back the other way in the next day or two, but I'm pretty damn optimistic right now.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com
Old 05-22-2012, 09:23 PM   #2211
Bayliss

Bayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
"July 1 hopefully,'' he said. "Hopefully I’ll know something.''
Since he can't have contact with any teams until July 1, Williams was asked how he'll be able to make a decision that quickly.

"I think I’ll have a good idea,'' he said. "My agent (Jeff Schwartz), he’s done this before. So we’re going to talk, actually today about some scenarios.''

He said "probably'' he'll be taking phone calls from teams at 12:01 a.m. July 1, the soonest teams can contact him.
"I’m, sure when it comes down to the time, it’ll only be between a couple teams,'' he said.

Last edited by Bayliss; 05-22-2012 at 09:23 PM.
Bayliss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 09:29 PM   #2212
BGMaverick9
Guru

Quote:
So...two days ago I was convinced that Deron was signing with the Nets. Today, after reading his quotes, particularly this...

He's going to make a decision on July 1st? And he thinks it'll only be a couple teams? And he's going out of his way to make it clear he hasn't made a decision?

Man..maybe it's my Mavs homer glasses, but that just screams wink-wink deal with Dallas. If he's signing with the Nets, July 1 makes no difference to him. The Nets are allowed to negotiate with him now.

I'm sure I'll boomerang back the other way in the next day or two, but I'm pretty damn optimistic right now.
I'd hate to be going through that roller coaster of emotion like you, thiggy, and probably a vast majority of the people on here lol. Either way, I hope you can make it to July
Old 05-22-2012, 10:34 PM   #2213
Rick41
Diamond Member

Rick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayliss View Post
Lmao, this is so clutch.

"Dirk Nowitzki is now a household name in every locker room in this world.
You say it in Brazil, you say Dirk, they know Nowitzki. You say it in China,
they know Nowitzki. Kobe, Michael, DIRK." - Jeff Van Gundy
Rick41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 10:36 PM   #2214
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

And Jason Kidd has made several indications that he'll be Deron Williams' backup next season - do you think he's dying to play for Avery Johnson again?

Just sayin'...

These days being a fan is a competition to see who can be the most upset when
your team loses. That proves you love winning more. That's how it works.
Underdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 10:56 PM   #2215
LonghornDub

LonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

Thanks for the clarification. You are definitely far more informed on these mechanics than I. That's why you're the man.

"Your'e a low-mentality drama gay queen!!" -- She_Growls
LonghornDub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 10:57 PM   #2216
LonghornDub

LonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond repute

For the record, NetsDaily has gone totally flipped its collective stance since Deron's latest interview above. They were all convinced he was staying before, and now many are convinced he's leaving, and others have moved from certain to on the fence.

Pretty much the same swings that are going on here, just in reverse.

Old 05-23-2012, 12:08 AM   #2217
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
For the record, NetsDaily has gone totally flipped its collective stance since Deron's latest interview above. They were all convinced he was staying before, and now many are convinced he's leaving, and others have moved from certain to on the fence.

Pretty much the same swings that are going on here, just in reverse.

Like I said back in post #2135:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underdog View Post
1) the media needs you to keep paying attention to their product so they can stay in business.
2) nobody likes to read/hear/watch the same thing over and over again.

So they flip the script back and forth to keep things interesting, because, frankly, they don't have a damn clue what's going to happen anyway...

These days being a fan is a competition to see who can be the most upset when
your team loses. That proves you love winning more. That's how it works.
Underdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 09:59 AM   #2218
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

DevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond repute

I would be shocked if he returned to the Nets, but I wouldn't be shocked if other teams get in on this race in a serious way. Just trying to keep it real.

DevinHarriswillstart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 11:21 AM   #2219
LonghornDub

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevinHarriswillstart View Post
I would be shocked if he returned to the Nets, but I wouldn't be shocked if other teams get in on this race in a serious way. Just trying to keep it real.
I agree with this in the abstract, but then I try to think about which teams it would be, and I'm not left with much. Portland has the cap space and has some appeal with Aldridge, but they were not much better than the Nets this year. Plus, who's even going to coach them? Canales? Has he been given the permanent job?

Then there's Indiana, but that'd be really tricky financially. The other quality teams either don't have cap space or already have a very good point guard.

Old 05-23-2012, 11:28 AM   #2220
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

Quote:
I agree with this in the abstract, but then I try to think about which teams it would be, and I'm not left with much. Portland has the cap space and has some appeal with Aldridge, but they were not much better than the Nets this year. Plus, who's even going to coach them? Canales? Has he been given the permanent job?

Then there's Indiana, but that'd be really tricky financially. The other quality teams either don't have cap space or already have a very good point guard.
I really thought there might be more teams involved, but when he says he wants to make a decision on July 1 that makes me think he's not planning on a free agency tour. He's not going to wait around for teams to makes moves that clear room for him.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
Old 05-23-2012, 11:30 AM   #2221
Wang Zhi Zhi

Wang Zhi Zhi is a name known to allWang Zhi Zhi is a name known to allWang Zhi Zhi is a name known to allWang Zhi Zhi is a name known to allWang Zhi Zhi is a name known to allWang Zhi Zhi is a name known to allWang Zhi Zhi is a name known to allWang Zhi Zhi is a name known to all

Portland is the one i'd keep my eye on, especially if they get to keep NJ's pick, which would give them 2 in the top 10. Plus, huge appeal playing with L.A., who he is close friends with, and is 8 years younger than Dirk.
Wang Zhi Zhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 11:41 AM   #2222
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wang Zhi Zhi View Post
Portland is the one i'd keep my eye on, especially if they get to keep NJ's pick, which would give them 2 in the top 10. Plus, huge appeal playing with L.A., who he is close friends with, and is 8 years younger than Dirk.
They don't have a GM (haven't for a year), don't have a coach, and have an owner that is quickly acquiring the label of being completely insane when it comes to his basketball team.

I can't completely write off Portland, but they're a huge, huge mess.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
Old 05-23-2012, 11:46 AM   #2223
Kidd Karma
Diamond Member

Kidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant future

Well seems like he's going to run through scenarios with his agent, I'm sure they'll blackboard all the teams with cap space, look at rosters, draft picks, contract status of each possibility as to not be blindsided. A lot of what if scenarios will be drawn up with his agent. Williams will probably rule out teams at that point, "Howard ends up in Portland, you want Portland?" Those are probably some scenarios he's considering.
Kidd Karma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 11:50 AM   #2224
Kidd Karma
Diamond Member

Kidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant future

Quote:
They don't have a GM (haven't for a year), don't have a coach, and have an owner that is quickly acquiring the label of being completely insane when it comes to his basketball team.

I can't completely write off Portland, but they're a huge, huge mess.
Portland has money, but look at the team for the last decade, like you said it''s a mess, lots of bad luck. At best it'll be Utah all over again, with very little initial hope....possibly 2 lottery picks, Aldridge, it's a young team he can grow with if those lottery picks become all stars......IF. Too many ifs.
Old 05-23-2012, 12:56 PM   #2225
LonghornDub

I trust Cuban and Donnie's sales pitch over whatever Portland can offer. Brooklyn will be much harder to beat.

Old 05-23-2012, 01:02 PM   #2226
Kidd Karma
Diamond Member

Quote:
I trust Cuban and Donnie's sales pitch over whatever Portland can offer. Brooklyn will be much harder to beat.
Brooklyn has to project. Cuban just needs to roll out a video of the last 10 years. Cuban has to show Deron that the Nets cleaned cap room for Lebron, Wade or Melo and got none. The Nets have promise, but has not shown anythign for it. A brief flyover of the AAA area, we're here, and we're proven, we're winners.
Old 05-23-2012, 01:16 PM   #2227
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

DevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

Don't forget sign-and-trades. If Deron said he wanted to go to the Lakers, then they could offer a decent package (Gasol and change) in return. Of course NJ would have to agree to it, but it would be better than losing him for nothing or a trade exception.

DevinHarriswillstart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 01:20 PM   #2228
mavs777
Diamond Member

mavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wang Zhi Zhi View Post
If they keep their 2 lottery picks+ keep batum they can't offer him the max, deron a while back said there are also places where he wouldn't live in, imo this was sending a subtle message to everyone that the only places he would be willing to go to are dallas/anything in la/anything in NY, obviously the knicks/clippers/lakers don't have cap space for him.
Old 05-23-2012, 01:22 PM   #2229
mavs777
Diamond Member

Quote:
Don't forget sign-and-trades. If Deron said he wanted to go to the Lakers, then they could offer a decent package (Gasol and change) in return. Of course NJ would have to agree to it, but it would be better than losing him for nothing or a trade exception.
NJ would rather have cap space then gasol's bad contract.
Old 05-23-2012, 01:30 PM   #2230
LonghornDub

Quote:
I think for good reason, there's never been a star free agent who forced a sign and trade to a team without cap space. It's almost impossible to leverage. What would he tell the Nets? He can't say, "Do a sign and trade with the Lakers, or else I'll go there anyway and you get nothing." He can't go there at all without a sign and trade.

He'd have to say something like, "Do a sign and trade with the Lakers, or else I'll go to Dallas." That'd be pretty bizarre.

This isn't like the LeBron situation, where Miami had cap space. In that scenario, he's going to Miami no matter what. Cleveland has little choice. The Nets have a lot of choice here, and I don't see why they'd be very motivated to help Deron go to the Lakers when he can't go there if they don't help.

Old 05-23-2012, 02:00 PM   #2231
sefant77
Guru

sefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond repute

Like i said, i think Williams didnt make up his mind (like he said) and the draft and/or any potential draft day trades will play a significant role.

Nets with the #1 and i believe he stays because it means Davis or Dwight...

If they fail and they cant pull of a quick Dwight trade i believe he comes to Dallas.
sefant77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 02:23 PM   #2232
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

Teams with enough cap space
Celtics - Have Rondo
Trailblazers
Mavericks
Cavaliers - have Irvin and are pretty bad
Hornets - lawlnets
Suns - need a PG if Nash leaves perennial lottery without Nash
Nets - can re-sign
Rockets - have Martin/Lowry
Pacers -
Bobcats
Nuggets -
Kings -
Raptors -

Of those teams:
not interestedCeltics and Rockets will probably spend money elsewhere.
no Deron interestBobcats, Kings, Raptors, Suns, Hornets and Cavs
may be too young for Deron Nuggets
biggest competitiors Blazers, Nets and Pacers

BIGGEST COMPETITION:
Pacers may be worth a look with some solid players. I'd hate to see West matched up with another top-flight PG, particularly with Hibbert defending the paint. That would be a competitive team and I really hate David West.

Blazers are probably the worst of our best competition. They have some decent pieces but nothing exciting. I really don't see them as anything more than 4th in the Deron race.

Nets will always be an option. They have a 2.15% chance that they will draft top-three and be able to flip the pick for something good enough. If they can do that and keep Wallace, you'd have to consider them a strong front runner. If Wallace tests free agency and they draft in that other 97.85%, then they could easily be the weakest.

Last edited by EricaLubarsky; 05-23-2012 at 02:48 PM.
EricaLubarsky is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 02:31 PM   #2233
Kidd Karma
Diamond Member

Quote:
Problem is Lakers don't have the cap space, Deron won't have the leverage to pull it off. The Nets will wait until he comes to his senses. They'll wait until the Olympics if they have to. The Nets knows he can't sign there outright, unless it's for the MLE. It becomes a cat and mouse game. It's the same as Lebron saying I want Dallas, for the Dust Chip....good luck, sign for the MLE in Dallas, we'll wait you out, no team with cap space will want to sit and wait for the cat and mouse game between the player and team holding his Bird Rights.
Old 05-23-2012, 02:52 PM   #2234
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

The Pacers would have to do a TON of juggling to keep Hibbert and give Deron a max contract. I don't really view them as viable.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
Old 05-23-2012, 02:53 PM   #2235
CanadianMavsFan

CanadianMavsFan has much to be proud ofCanadianMavsFan has much to be proud ofCanadianMavsFan has much to be proud ofCanadianMavsFan has much to be proud ofCanadianMavsFan has much to be proud ofCanadianMavsFan has much to be proud ofCanadianMavsFan has much to be proud ofCanadianMavsFan has much to be proud ofCanadianMavsFan has much to be proud ofCanadianMavsFan has much to be proud ofCanadianMavsFan has much to be proud of

More speculation and possibly bad news. Sorry if already posted...

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/201...&sct=hp_t12_a0

Quote:
First things first, there's the Andrew Bynum pre-qualifier to deal with.

A half block away from the sparkly new Amway Center in Orlando, Fla., on West Church Street, there is a Bank of America. There are nine more banks and investment firms on the other side of Interstate 4, just two blocks away from where the Lakers' center might play someday.

Bynum, after all, was the one who, while discussing his uncertain basketball future at All-Star weekend in -- of all places -- Orlando, flippantly and famously said "there's a bank in every city." So now that we know the Magic fit that bill, and in light of the recent rumblings that Orlando center Dwight Howard still wants out even with the ousting of general manager Otis Smith and coach Stan Van Gundy, it's time to again raise the question of whether the most logical trade in the NBA rumor mill should be revisited. In a word: yes.

The Bynum-for-Howard deal needs to go down.

Much has changed for both teams since earlier this year, when trade talks about this scenario never progressed, in part because neither Howard nor Lakers star Kobe Bryant seemed ready to give up his alpha dog status. Despite the fact that the Lakers were on Howard's list of teams to which his agent, Dan Fegan, was given permission to explore a trade leading up to the March deadline (the others being New Jersey/Brooklyn and Dallas), sources close to Howard made it clear that the Lakers' inclusion was more of a leverage play than it was an actual statement that he would sign a long-term extension there.

"He wants to be Kobe Bryant," one source close to Howard told me in late February, "not be with Kobe Bryant."

Meanwhile, Bryant, according to numerous sources who spoke with Howard, sent a not-so-subtle message to the Magic big man that he would be welcome as long as he was willing to play third fiddle behind Kobe and power forward Pau Gasol. So the trade talks never heated up and Howard, after much vacillation, eventually exercised his $19.5 million option for next season.

But the dynamic has changed, and it's one of shared desperation at this point. Both Howard (whose Magic have lost in the first round two consecutive years, the latest with him sidelined because of back surgery) and Bryant (whose Lakers have back-to-back second-round exits) need each other now more than ever. Howard, 26, an eight-year veteran, is still searching for his first title, having fallen to Bryant's Lakers in his only NBA Finals appearance, in 2009. The 33-year-old Bryant, defiant, as always, at the end of the loss to Oklahoma City and well aware that Father Time just got louder still, must know deep down that he'll never get that sixth ring to tie Michael Jordan as long as this Lakers group remains the same.

[Zach Lowe: How can the Lakers improve?]

As for Bynum? After the Lakers' Game 5 loss to the Thunder, Bynum -- whose $16.1 million team option for next season is expected to be picked up -- said of signing a possible extension with the Lakers, "I'm not sure. It really doesn't matter to me. I'll play anywhere."

Bynum later said that he preferred to stay with the Lakers, but his inconsistent play and increasingly sour attitude -- both publicly and privately -- make you wonder if he doesn't want out. He has been blunt and opinionated more than once this season, highlighting the Lakers' lack of ball movement, balance and dedication to playing inside-out while unofficially turning the spotlight on Bryant and his ball-pounding ways in the process.

According to one Lakers source, Bynum -- despite posting career highs in points (18.7), rebounds (11.8) and shot attempts (13.3) -- grew more vocal about his frustrations as the season wore on and was more prone to "acting out."

"He's getting worse," the source said.

That shouldn't come as a surprise considering the company he keeps. No one dominates an offense like Bryant. He was the runaway league leader with 23 field-goal attempts per game (Oklahoma City's Kevin Durant was second at 19.7), even as he shot his lowest percentage (43.0) since 1997-98 and worst three-point percentage (30.3) since 2001-02. The gap in shots between Bryant and the team's second-leading shot-taker (Gasol) was a league-leading 8.9 attempts, with only Minnesota coming close (8.7 difference between Kevin Love and Michael Beasley), Milwaukee ranking third (5.3 between Brandon Jennings and Drew Gooden) and the NBA average just 2.7.

Bynum, 24, could be freed and fed in Orlando. And Howard, whose dream of joining the hapless Nets is in limbo because of the looming free agency of friend and Nets point guard Deron Williams, could be part of a legitimate contender again while becoming the pre-eminent star of the Lakers' next generation. It's unclear whether the Magic would require more than Bynum in return for a three-time Defensive Player of the Year and former MVP runner-up. But barring a change of heart from Howard, Bynum may be their best chance at salvaging this situation.

The next few months will reveal plenty about both teams. The Magic's determination to keep Howard played a late part in Smith's and Van Gundy's dismissals this week, as sources said both men recommended that Howard be traded in the days leading up to their exits. Their shared view clashed with that of CEO Alex Martins, who, according to sources, remains confident that Howard can be persuaded to stay yet again. If not, however, then the likelihood is that teams that didn't appeal to Howard before -- like the Lakers, and perhaps even Chicago -- might become more acceptable.

[Zach Lowe: Van Gundy's departure a big loss for Magic]

For the Lakers, Williams could be a possibility if Howard is not. A source close to the three-time All-Star said he would be interested in joining the Lakers, though it would have to be via a sign-and-trade deal. (Lakers point guard Ramon Sessions, who was acquired from Cleveland at the trade deadline, has a $4.5 million player option for next season.) The source said Williams' preference, however, is for the Nets to improve the roster sufficiently enough that he can feel good about staying put rather than fear a repeat of this season, when they finished 22-44. As for Dallas, which sacrificed its best chance to defend the title by preserving salary-cap space last summer in anticipation of this free-agent class, the source said of the Mavericks: "There's no longevity there." If owner Mark Cuban can clear enough space to sign a worthy sidekick for Williams, though, then maybe Williams would join his hometown team after all.

Gasol might very well be the Lakers' big man on the move as opposed to Bynum, too. The 31-year-old still has very good value around the league, though the fact that he has two years and $38.3 million left on his contract could scare away the many teams that will be trying to shed salary in preparation for the more punitive luxury tax that begins after next season.

There's a bank in every city, but good luck banking on what's next for the Lakers or Magic. The smart money, as I see it, is for the Howard-Bynum swap to happen.

Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/201...#ixzz1viyVhu69
CanadianMavsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 02:54 PM   #2236
LonghornDub

From Sam Amick today:

Quote:
For the Lakers, Williams could be a possibility if Howard is not. A source close to the three-time All-Star said he would be interested in joining the Lakers, though it would have to be via a sign-and-trade deal. (Lakers point guard Ramon Sessions, who was acquired from Cleveland at the trade deadline, has a $4.5 million player option for next season.) The source said Williams' preference, however, is for the Nets to improve the roster sufficiently enough that he can feel good about staying put rather than fear a repeat of this season, when they finished 22-44. As for Dallas, which sacrificed its best chance to defend the title by preserving salary-cap space last summer in anticipation of this free-agent class, the source said of the Mavericks: "There's no longevity there." If owner Mark Cuban can clear enough space to sign a worthy sidekick for Williams, though, then maybe Williams would join his hometown team after all.
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/201...#ixzz1viyy4Pui

Swing back the other way, thiggy.

*edit* I see this has been posted above also at the same time.

Last edited by LonghornDub; 05-23-2012 at 02:54 PM.
Old 05-23-2012, 02:56 PM   #2237
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

Deron just got done telling the media that he hasn't told anyone around him what he's thinking.

And the Nets are not taking Gasol for Deron in a sign and trade.

Still confident.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game

Last edited by jthig32; 05-23-2012 at 02:56 PM.
Old 05-23-2012, 02:59 PM   #2238
BGMaverick9
Guru

ZOMG!!!!
Old 05-23-2012, 03:01 PM   #2239
mavs777
Diamond Member

sam ammick is the same person that wrote that article about lebron wanting to go back to the cavs, ever since then i haven't taken anything he has wrote with an ounce of credibility.
Old 05-23-2012, 03:07 PM   #2240
LonghornDub

Sources close to Deron just told me that he'd also be "interested" in playing for the Heat or the Celtics because, you know, they're good and stuff.

Tags
awesome to think of, colonystateofmind, death knells, delusional1234, deroff, git'erdonecubes, i have a dream, markus123no, michael reddish?, my ass bleeds for tyson, never happen dumbazz, oilfieldva-jay-jay, sard's sources outta @ss, shark tank for dwight, tank for dwight