Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 07-16-2013, 05:50 PM   #2321
OneLove22

OneLove22 is a name known to allOneLove22 is a name known to allOneLove22 is a name known to allOneLove22 is a name known to allOneLove22 is a name known to allOneLove22 is a name known to allOneLove22 is a name known to allOneLove22 is a name known to allOneLove22 is a name known to allOneLove22 is a name known to allOneLove22 is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by MavsFanTillDeath View Post
marion - No
carter - Yes
Why would we trade either of these guys for Mike Miller? That makes absolutely no sense at all.
Old 07-16-2013, 06:48 PM   #2322
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneLove22 View Post
Why would we trade either of these guys for Mike Miller? That makes absolutely no sense at all.
We wouldn't... Mike Miller would be a replacement for one of those guys if we traded them for someone else - presumably a center.

These days being a fan is a competition to see who can be the most upset when
your team loses. That proves you love winning more. That's how it works.
Underdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 08:14 AM   #2323
backb0ard

backb0ard is on a distinguished road

Mike Miller as Peja and Kleiza as Brian Cardinal. Great plan, right?
backb0ard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 12:13 AM   #2324
MavsFTR
Golden Member

MavsFTR has much to be proud ofMavsFTR has much to be proud ofMavsFTR has much to be proud ofMavsFTR has much to be proud ofMavsFTR has much to be proud ofMavsFTR has much to be proud ofMavsFTR has much to be proud ofMavsFTR has much to be proud ofMavsFTR has much to be proud ofMavsFTR has much to be proud ofMavsFTR has much to be proud of

Good ol Cuban essentially saying we desperately wanted Dwightm but since we didn't get him we're better off!

"On where things are now with the two-year plan:

Cuban: "I think we’ve put ourselves in a spot where we’re in a better spot than we were at if we got just the one max-out deal. I think it’d be better shorter term and longer term. I don’t want to make that sound the wrong way. I think we’ll be better this year because we added five good players or more." "

http://espn.go.com/blog/dallas/maver...te-of-the-mavs
MavsFTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 12:18 AM   #2325
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by MavsFTR View Post
Good ol Cuban essentially saying we desperately wanted Dwightm but since we didn't get him we're better off!

Cuban: "I think we’ve put ourselves in a spot where we’re in a better spot than we were at if we got just the one max-out deal. I think it’d be better shorter term and longer term. I don’t want to make that sound the wrong way. I think we’ll be better this year because we added five good players or more." "

It does make me wonder what kind of team we could have built with Dwight, dirk, Marion and no cap space. Would we have pencilled Larkin in and then started Mekel after the injury? Harris with the mini mle? Brought collison back?

Last edited by EricaLubarsky; 07-18-2013 at 12:19 AM.
EricaLubarsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 12:33 AM   #2326
mavs777
Diamond Member

mavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant future

It's called spin, Cuban knows they are better off with Dwight but there isn't a reason to admit that to the fan base, no problem with that.
Old 07-18-2013, 03:05 AM   #2327
FreshJive
Diamond Member

FreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

C'mon man. I approve of the moves. I'm trying to believe. Bullshit doesn't help.
FreshJive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 03:33 AM   #2328
rabbitproof
Diamond Member

rabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond repute

Just spewing hot bs. said the same thing about rather have flexibility than Deron then was willing wait hostage to Dwight for a week. Actions > words. I wish he could admit failure- it would make his words more believable.

watch your thoughts, they become your words
rabbitproof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 04:23 AM   #2329
FreshJive
Diamond Member

FreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond repute

The whole reason for breaking up the championship team (I know, no shot, look at the players now!!! even though we only had to re-sign Tyson and JJ to give it one more year) was to go after Deron and Dwight. Now we are better off. We didn't really want those guys. What was the plan again?
FreshJive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 05:53 AM   #2330
twelli
Diamond Member

twelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant future

I like that Carter and Marion are on the team as for now. I love both those guys even if their production is going to decline.

“He’s always around 23 or 24,” West said. “The bell rings every day.”
twelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 06:12 AM   #2331
Eman

Eman is a name known to allEman is a name known to allEman is a name known to allEman is a name known to allEman is a name known to allEman is a name known to allEman is a name known to allEman is a name known to allEman is a name known to all

I keep reading that we are one of the teams after Nate Robinson.....Don't see how he can fit.

I like our lineup now......We will be a good team with many assets to trade to better ourselves.
Eman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 06:16 AM   #2332
twelli
Diamond Member

twelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant future

I love watching the new German player, Schroeder, full of confidence, unselfish, quick and smart, but not good on defense say the experts. Hope he can join Dirk's Mavs some day, would be great to see two Germans who couldn't be more different on the same
team.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QsqzT18WVMA

“He’s always around 23 or 24,” West said. “The bell rings every day.”
twelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 06:57 AM   #2333
Budapest Maverick
Platinum Member

Budapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreshJive View Post
The whole reason for breaking up the championship team (I know, no shot, look at the players now!!! even though we only had to re-sign Tyson and JJ to give it one more year) was to go after Deron and Dwight. Now we are better off. We didn't really want those guys. What was the plan again?
Well, we all love Cubes, but he was always a sore loser. He's an ultra-competitive guy, he won't ever admit defeat, and i'm fine with it. It's probably more of a strength, than a weakness. If he would be different, they probably don't assemble that championship roster.
Budapest Maverick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 11:15 AM   #2334
nowhereman
Diamond Member

nowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond repute

PG - Calderon / Mekel / Larkin / Akognon
SG - Ellis / [Harris] / Ellington
SF - Marion / Carter / Crowder
PF - Nowitzki / [Wright]
C - Dalembert / [James]

Leaves open one spot. The frontcourt is way too slim to pray for Odens health, right? We gotta get a guy who can eat some minutes when there's an injury or foul trouble.

Quote:
RT @TyLawson3 Good game between Dallas and Portland. Good thing we didn't end up getting Dallas. Coach Karl lost his mind.
nowhereman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 11:15 AM   #2335
nowhereman
Diamond Member

nowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

/slams heads against a wall

Quote:
RT @TyLawson3 Good game between Dallas and Portland. Good thing we didn't end up getting Dallas. Coach Karl lost his mind.
Old 07-18-2013, 11:20 AM   #2336
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by nowhereman View Post
PG - Calderon / Mekel / Larkin / Akognon
SG - Ellis / [Harris] / Ellington
SF - Marion / Carter / Crowder
PF - Nowitzki / [Wright]
C - Dalembert / [James]

Leaves open one spot. The frontcourt is way too slim to pray for Odens health, right? We gotta get a guy who can eat some minutes when there's an injury or foul trouble.
Marion's been the backup PF the majority of the time he's been on this team, so he should be listed there.

And Wright is the backup center, at this point.

When you consider that Carter and Crowder need minutes, and will presumably get almost none at SG, you might see Marion playing all of the backup PF minutes, which he hasn't always done.

I think Ledo is your 15th guy right now, and I would bet they'll try to find a more traditional PF to be the emergency front court guy and waive Akognon if they find that guy.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com
jthig32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 11:25 AM   #2337
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by jthig32 View Post
I think Ledo is your 15th guy right now, and I would bet they'll try to find a more traditional PF to be the emergency front court guy and waive Akognon if they find that guy.
Bingo, I was just about to type the same thing... Akognon lacks the upside that Ledo has.

Old 07-18-2013, 12:02 PM   #2338
mavs777
Diamond Member

mavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbitproof View Post
Just spewing hot bs. said the same thing about rather have flexibility than Deron then was willing wait hostage to Dwight for a week. Actions > words. I wish he could admit failure- it would make his words more believable.
That would be really dumb, unless he wants to lose the trust of the fanbase and for the sell out streak to stop. Cuban is just spinning, there is nothing wrong with it, GM's/Owner's have to do it.
Old 07-18-2013, 12:07 PM   #2339
rabbitproof
Diamond Member

rabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by mavs777 View Post
That would be really dumb, unless he wants to lose the trust of the fanbase and for the sell out streak to stop. Cuban is just spinning, there is nothing wrong with it, GM's/Owner's have to do it.
I think treating your fanbase like some mindless idiots is really dumb and ensures the loss of trust in your words.

Old 07-18-2013, 12:23 PM   #2340
Underdog

Quote:
I think treating your fanbase like some mindless idiots is really dumb and ensures the loss of trust in your words.
And admitting failure is only going to give petulant sports fans an opportunity to rub it in his face, which isn't any better for his -- or the franchise's -- image.

Spin is the only viable option.

Old 07-18-2013, 12:43 PM   #2341
rabbitproof
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underdog View Post
And admitting failure is only going to give petulant sports fans an opportunity to rub it in his face, which isn't any better for his -- or the franchise's -- image.

Spin is the only viable option.
Disagree.

You can say we're making the best of a second case scenario without saying the second case scenario is actually better than the first case scenario (in which case, you look like an idiot for making it the first case scenario anyways and a thick-faced liar for even going there).

Last edited by rabbitproof; 07-18-2013 at 12:44 PM.
Old 07-18-2013, 12:46 PM   #2342
nowhereman
Diamond Member

Quote:
Disagree.

You can say we're making the best of a second case scenario without saying the second case scenario is actually better than the first case scenario (in which case, you look like an idiot for making it the first case scenario anyways and a thick-faced liar for even going there).
I lost a lot of trust in and respect for Cuban for his attempted spin. I didn't buy it when he spun missing out on Deron, but it's a slap in the face to try to spin missing out on Dwight.

Quote:
Old 07-18-2013, 12:52 PM   #2343
rabbitproof
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nowhereman View Post
I lost a lot of trust in and respect for Cuban for his attempted spin. I didn't buy it when he spun missing out on Deron, but it's a slap in the face to try to spin missing out on Dwight.
Agree.

If flexibility was so superior to Deron, why even go after Dwight?

That was so insulting. To try this again after blatantly going against what he said before.. it's as if we have no memory. He is talking and behaving like a slimy politician right now.

"Everything will be fine, we know what is best, even if what is best five minutes ago is now the worst, move along."

Old 07-18-2013, 01:18 PM   #2344
Eman

Eman is a name known to allEman is a name known to allEman is a name known to allEman is a name known to allEman is a name known to allEman is a name known to allEman is a name known to allEman is a name known to allEman is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by jthig32 View Post
Marion's been the backup PF the majority of the time he's been on this team, so he should be listed there.

And Wright is the backup center, at this point.

When you consider that Carter and Crowder need minutes, and will presumably get almost none at SG, you might see Marion playing all of the backup PF minutes, which he hasn't always done.

And LEdo is 6'6", he can play some small forward.
Eman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 01:20 PM   #2345
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eman View Post
Ledo's not going to be playing anything for the actual Mavs this year. At least, not in games that are in question.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com
jthig32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 01:22 PM   #2346
LonghornDub

LonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eman View Post
Every time you post, I momentarily think you're the other dude here with a four-letter username that starts with E. Erad or whatever.

Then I realize that you're not, and I'm thankful.

"Your'e a low-mentality drama gay queen!!" -- She_Growls
LonghornDub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 01:27 PM   #2347
Skywalker
Diamond Member

Skywalker has a reputation beyond reputeSkywalker has a reputation beyond reputeSkywalker has a reputation beyond reputeSkywalker has a reputation beyond reputeSkywalker has a reputation beyond reputeSkywalker has a reputation beyond reputeSkywalker has a reputation beyond reputeSkywalker has a reputation beyond reputeSkywalker has a reputation beyond reputeSkywalker has a reputation beyond reputeSkywalker has a reputation beyond repute

Riveting tale

Quote:
Dirk Nowitzki is a monster of epic and unattainable proportion. Seriously, he must be stopped.

Last edited by Skywalker; 07-18-2013 at 01:28 PM.
Skywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 01:37 PM   #2348
LonghornDub

LonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skywalker View Post
Riveting tale
Thx!

"Your'e a low-mentality drama gay queen!!" -- She_Growls
LonghornDub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 02:06 PM   #2349
purplefrog
Platinum Member

purplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond repute

I am very disappointed that the "Cap Space Theory" Cuban espoused, proved to be an inaccurate prediction of organizational (NBA) behavior. That being said, it was a valid view of what "might happen". The MBT certainly took some risks to ensure they'd in a position to take advantage of the presumptive new reality. Taking calculated risks is a good thing! When they go wrong, the proper assessments should be how quickly management reacts to the failure of their strategy. In my view the MBT reacted quickly and followed the plan they stated before free agency began. The plan being offer multiple year contracts to very good (but not elite) players.

The top free agents made their decisions very quickly. Even though Dwight decided a day or so after he met with all viable suitors, the dominos had already begun to fall. I don't see how you can blame the MBT in that regard. After Dwight's decision, Cuban and Donnie focused on the backcourt because that is where there were still very good FAs. In the process they picked up a heady PG who fits in well with Carlisle's system and a dynamic SG who will help relieve the scoring pressure off Dirk. I've never been a Monta Ellis fan, but he is a scorer, he can penetrate the lane, and he shoots a fair number of free throws (at least compared to our SGs from previous years). In short, he compliments Calderon and Dirk very well. In the process, the Mavs also picked up a pretty good defensive PG in Devin Harris and another shooter in Ellington. IMO, this is a far superior backcourt to what they had last year.

The current roster still has holes on the defensive side of the ball. Dalembert will help some, but defense and rebounding are still lacking with this squad. The Mavs might be able to pick up one or two more players to fill that gap. Still, the MBT has responded to the reality of the new CBA by signing some very good players to multiple year contracts. Some of these players will undoubtedly become trade chips at the deadline or in summer of 2014.

I don't really care how Cuban spins all of this. He has changed strategy somewhat and hasn't repeated the mistakes made from past seasons, so his actions speak louder than his words. He took a calculated risk. Sometimes those risks pay off and you look like a genius. Sometimes they fail, and everyone second guesses you. Still, despite the failed strategy they are in a position to be the 7th or 6th seed in the Western Conference. That's not horrible given that a couple of teams in the West have, on paper, improved dramatically (Rockets and Warriors). Remember this IS a two year plan (i'm not being sarcastic) and Cuban's goal of being a good but not great team after the 2013 FA season has been reached.

Last edited by purplefrog; 07-18-2013 at 02:09 PM.
purplefrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 02:19 PM   #2350
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

Cubes and Donnie have always been good at making deals. Not necessarily the right deal, but they are good at making them.

IMO to the franchises detriment (yes,even though I have loved that 50+ years). We have completely remade this team 3-4 times in the dirk's career. I understand that this is a good thing but also imo a bad thing. It is like someone that just cannot keep from tinkering. It really reminds me of Donn Nelson's method of building a franchise. Just keep churning it.

Dirk's greatness has allowed all of this, if they didn't have an all-time great player it would have been interesting to see how their trade-happy method would fare. IMO probably middle of the pack at best.

You have to value and do a good job in the draft...the mavs have been able to short-circuit that because of dirk. AND even when they won it all, they couldn't help but tinker and screw that team up.
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’

Last edited by dude1394; 07-18-2013 at 05:30 PM.
dude1394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 03:24 PM   #2351
moogle

moogle is a name known to allmoogle is a name known to allmoogle is a name known to allmoogle is a name known to allmoogle is a name known to allmoogle is a name known to allmoogle is a name known to allmoogle is a name known to allmoogle is a name known to all

As of today, this is my estimate for the Mavs' cap situation:
22.7M - Dirk
9.32M - Marion
3.18M - Carter
1.25M - Larkin
0.79M - Crowder
0.49M - Mekel
0.49M - Cap Hold reserved (becomes $2.65M once Ellington signs)
0.88M - Cap Hold for Wright (becomes $4.0M once Brandan signs)
6.80M - Calderon, if rumored $29M/4yrs is true
3.67M - Dalembert, if rumored $7.5M/2yrs is true
That gives the Mavs a $49.6M commitment to 10 players. They have only $9.1M remaining to sign both Monta Ellis and Devin Harris.

If the Mavs release-and-resign Bernard James, the most they can offer Monta Ellis is a 3-year $27M contract starting at $8.6M. If they do not release Bernard James, the most they can offer Monta is a 3-year $25M contract. Either way, the Mavs can't offer Devin Harris anything more than the vet's minimum. Not without help from Milwaukee.

I'm pretty sure that Milwaukee has already agreed to help Dallas with a sign-n-trade. It's the only way the Mavs can sign Devin Harris to a reasonable multi-year deal. I'm guessing Milwaukee will receive TPEs and cash considerations for helping the Mavs.
moogle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 03:26 PM   #2352
Underdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by moogle View Post
Either way, the Mavs can't offer Devin Harris anything more than the vet's minimum.
It was mentioned by BG in another thread (Dalembert?) that Devin will likely be a one-year minimum deal.

Last edited by Underdog; 07-18-2013 at 03:27 PM.
Old 07-18-2013, 03:47 PM   #2353
moogle

moogle is a name known to allmoogle is a name known to allmoogle is a name known to allmoogle is a name known to allmoogle is a name known to allmoogle is a name known to allmoogle is a name known to allmoogle is a name known to allmoogle is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underdog View Post
It was mentioned by BG in another thread (Dalembert?) that Devin will likely be a one-year minimum deal.

I do hope it is a 1 year deal. But I don't think that will happen. It's hard to imagine Devin Harris immediately accepting a 1-year minimum deal just days after he signed a $9M 3-year contract. It doesn't make sense. You'd expect him to at least wait a few months before settling for a 1-year minimum deal.

At minimum salary, he can go anywhere. And there are far better destinations for Devin Harris than Dallas. He'd have a legit shot at cracking the starting lineups in Miami and Houston, for example. In Dallas he's a back up fighting for minutes with 4 other point guards (Monta, Calderon, Mekel, Larkin).
Old 07-18-2013, 03:47 PM   #2354
rabbitproof
Diamond Member

Boy, that's an expensive injury for Devin.

Old 07-18-2013, 03:48 PM   #2355
BGMaverick9
Guru

BGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I do hope it is a 1 year deal. But I don't think that will happen. It's hard to imagine Devin Harris immediately accepting a 1-year minimum deal just days after he signed a $9M 3-year contract. It doesn't make sense. You'd expect him to at least wait a few months before settling for a 1-year minimum deal.

At minimum salary, he can go anywhere. And there are far better destinations for Devin Harris than Dallas. He'd have a legit shot at cracking the starting lineups in Miami and Houston, for example. In Dallas he's a back up fighting for minutes with 4 other point guards (Monta, Calderon, Mekel, Larkin).
That's what many were saying about Morrow and New Orleans.

Why would he do it? The same reason he was willing to come to Dallas for 3/9: he wanted to come back to Dallas.
Old 07-18-2013, 05:00 PM   #2356
moogle

Quote:
Originally Posted by BGMaverick9 View Post
That's what many were saying about Morrow and New Orleans.

Not really the same situation. Morrow is coming off a season with 41 DNP Coach's Decision for a lottery team. And he averaged only 8 minutes in the games he did play. Who is to say that he is worth more than the minimum?

Meanwhile Devin Harris started 35 games for a playoff team. He averaged 25 minutes per game for the season. Unlike Morrow, Devin was actually offered a big contract last week at $9M. Even with his injury, he could've waited a few months before settling for the minimum salary.

I do hope his contract is just for the minimum. But I'm betting it won't be.
Old 07-18-2013, 05:15 PM   #2357
mac222b
Diamond Member

mac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Not really the same situation. Morrow is coming off a season with 41 DNP Coach's Decision for a lottery team. And he averaged only 8 minutes in the games he did play. Who is to say that he is worth more than the minimum?

Meanwhile Devin Harris started 35 games for a playoff team. He averaged 25 minutes per game for the season. Unlike Morrow, Devin was actually offered a big contract last week at $9M. Even with his injury, he could've waited a few months before settling for the minimum salary.

Is there anything else he can be offered? I remember reading somewhere earlier that Ellington got the Room. No exceptions left, right?
mac222b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 05:33 PM   #2358
BGMaverick9
Guru

BGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

His original deal in Dallas was nowhere near "big", mainly seen as a great value move.

If he's coming to Dallas (which is very likely...) it's going to be at the minimum or awfully close.
Old 07-18-2013, 07:46 PM   #2359
yahyes
Banned

yahyes has much to be proud ofyahyes has much to be proud ofyahyes has much to be proud ofyahyes has much to be proud ofyahyes has much to be proud ofyahyes has much to be proud ofyahyes has much to be proud ofyahyes has much to be proud ofyahyes has much to be proud ofyahyes has much to be proud ofyahyes has much to be proud of

A side of me wants us to bid on Mike Miller. We could stash someone like Ledo or Mekel to the D-league. Miller would be decent as Marion's backup. Which can shift Carter at SG. Our bench could be very underrated. It also takes a lot of pressure off Crowder.

Harris, Carter, Miller, Wright, and Sarge/Oden as the backup squad.

Last edited by yahyes; 07-18-2013 at 07:46 PM.
yahyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 07:49 PM   #2360
oilfieldtrash
Golden Member

oilfieldtrash is a glorious beacon of lightoilfieldtrash is a glorious beacon of lightoilfieldtrash is a glorious beacon of lightoilfieldtrash is a glorious beacon of lightoilfieldtrash is a glorious beacon of lightoilfieldtrash is a glorious beacon of lightoilfieldtrash is a glorious beacon of lightoilfieldtrash is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by BGMaverick9 View Post
His original deal in Dallas was nowhere near "big", mainly seen as a great value move.

If he's coming to Dallas (which is very likely...) it's going to be at the minimum or awfully close.
I actually think this works out in Dallas'favor. We kick the tires on Devin for a minimum salary and if he pans out the worst case scenario in re signing him would be 3 million a year. We can afford the 3 million much easier next year.
oilfieldtrash is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cad von ghostymooglebane, moogleghostfacechamp, ummmm