Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 04-28-2016, 10:46 AM   #201
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan_Wilson View Post
I'm worried about Howard also but do think he is best fit for us.
I agree that Howard brings what the Mavs need most (even if he's only 70% of what he used to be), but if Dirk doesn't want him, then he's not coming here... Nobody wants to end their career with some Rondo-type debacle, and Dwight is a prime candidate for that level of drama.

Or maybe this report is all BS and Dirk doesn't really have a problem with the guy... Who knows?

These days being a fan is a competition to see who can be the most upset when
your team loses. That proves you love winning more. That's how it works.

Last edited by Underdog; 04-28-2016 at 10:46 AM.
Underdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-28-2016, 11:04 AM   #202
Bryan_Wilson
Diamond Member

Bryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underdog View Post
I agree that Howard brings what the Mavs need most (even if he's only 70% of what he used to be), but if Dirk doesn't want him, then he's not coming here... Nobody wants to end their career with some Rondo-type debacle, and Dwight is a prime candidate for that level of drama.

Or maybe this report is all BS and Dirk doesn't really have a problem with the guy... Who knows?
I agree if Dirk doesn't want him here that's the end for me wanting Howard. I'm just not sure I believe the report as it all seems to be highly speculative and not one bit is based on any actual quote. Mainly just because Dirk didn't comment on Dwight as he has with other FA's in the past. Seemed like more click bait than actual substance in that particular article. He basically just said I don't know where we are right now or what direction we are going in and we have to figure that out first before I comment on an individual player.
Bryan_Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 11:13 AM   #203
MavzMan
Golden Member

MavzMan has a brilliant futureMavzMan has a brilliant futureMavzMan has a brilliant futureMavzMan has a brilliant futureMavzMan has a brilliant futureMavzMan has a brilliant futureMavzMan has a brilliant futureMavzMan has a brilliant futureMavzMan has a brilliant futureMavzMan has a brilliant futureMavzMan has a brilliant future

I'm choosing to believe that ...
1) Dirk is still trying to get out of this year and these playoffs mentality
2) Dirk is actually being classy in not talking about a player on another team that is still in the playoffs (at the time).

Noone has given a legitimate quote saying Dirk does not want him here and it's 100% speculation. I just as easily speculate that Dirk has a lot of respect for Lebron and Wade and is going to convince them to come here this offseason.
MavzMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 11:20 AM   #204
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

Just asked MacMahon on Twitter, he confirms that he DID talk about this on the radio the other day... So that much is true.

Trying to dig deeper, find out how strong this speculation is.

Last edited by Underdog; 04-28-2016 at 11:24 AM.
Old 04-28-2016, 12:52 PM   #205
mac222b
Diamond Member

mac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond repute

Howard for better or worse is likely the best fit here next season, presuming the interest is mutual and the $ matches. Surround him with 3-point shooting as in Orlando. Maybe with more consistent touches his effiency increases some?

A decision needs to be made on Powell. Is he viewed as a a long term fit? If not I'd look at moving him and picks, etc. for someone like Teague, who'd give us some off the bounce attack we're lacking. And better defensively and more durable than D-Will. Maybe if Horford leaves Atl blows it up and goes young and hands it over to Scroeder-- whom we couldve drafted btw! sorry couldnt resist...that draft continues to haunt.

I'd imagine Powell along with a protected 1st could land a decent return. Powell seems like a hard worker so if he stays he would presumably improve his low post defense and shooting range. May come down to whether MBT views him as career backup or eventual starter at PF. If its the former than cash him out for a bigger need and fill backup PF minutes with Parsons and veteran X
mac222b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 01:11 PM   #206
rimrocker
Diamond Member

rimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac222b View Post
Howard for better or worse is likely the best fit here next season, presuming the interest is mutual and the $ matches. Surround him with 3-point shooting as in Orlando. Maybe with more consistent touches his effiency increases some?

A decision needs to be made on Powell. Is he viewed as a a long term fit? If not I'd look at moving him and picks, etc. for someone like Teague, who'd give us some off the bounce attack we're lacking. And better defensively and more durable than D-Will. Maybe if Horford leaves Atl blows it up and goes young and hands it over to Scroeder-- whom we couldve drafted btw! sorry couldnt resist...that draft continues to haunt.

I'd imagine Powell along with a protected 1st could land a decent return. Powell seems like a hard worker so if he stays he would presumably improve his low post defense and shooting range. May come down to whether MBT views him as career backup or eventual starter at PF. If its the former than cash him out for a bigger need and fill backup PF minutes with Parsons and veteran X
What's the scoop on Brandon Knight?
Must admit I know very little about him but seemed to be a hot commodity at last year's deadline if I remember correctly.

Is he someone that Phoenix could be willing to part with and what would it take to get him....or would he even be a fit here?
rimrocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 01:25 PM   #207
rimrocker
Diamond Member

rimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I agree if Dirk doesn't want him here that's the end for me wanting Howard. I'm just not sure I believe the report as it all seems to be highly speculative and not one bit is based on any actual quote. Mainly just because Dirk didn't comment on Dwight as he has with other FA's in the past. Seemed like more click bait than actual substance in that particular article. He basically just said I don't know where we are right now or what direction we are going in and we have to figure that out first before I comment on an individual player.
That isn't Dirk's character to make comments like that and quite frankly I was shocked when I read that....the reason I was a little ticked off yesterday.
But the more I think about it I should have given Dirk the benefit of the doubt because he is much more classy and smarter than that and would do his due diligence in finding out more about a situation than just asking a few former teammates what their opinion is on the guy.
There are many other factors to consider....look at his selfish teammates, look at his coaches, look at their systems, look at the current situation of their team, look at the current situation of our team, and look at the options coming up before spouting out about a player on a different team that you know is in good standing with one of your current teammates.

I don't believe for one minute he would make those comments and if he did it would have been completely out of his character to do so.

Last edited by rimrocker; 04-28-2016 at 01:32 PM.
Old 04-28-2016, 01:28 PM   #208
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

DevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Just asked MacMahon on Twitter, he confirms that he DID talk about this on the radio the other day... So that much is true.

Trying to dig deeper, find out how strong this speculation is.
Yeah he did, but the stuff he said about Dirk not wanting Howard is pure speculation.

DevinHarriswillstart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 02:00 PM   #209
Underdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevinHarriswillstart View Post
Yeah he did, but the stuff he said about Dirk not wanting Howard is pure speculation.
More likely secondhand... Here's the quote again:

Quote:
This is not from the horse's mouth himself but it would be an awfully tough pill to swallow for Dirk to play with Howard. Hate is a strong word but yeah. It would be an awfully tough pill to swallow.
The way he words it makes it seem like he got this info from someone close to Dirk.

Last edited by Underdog; 04-28-2016 at 02:01 PM.
Old 04-28-2016, 02:05 PM   #210
Melonhead
Guru

Melonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond repute

Bobby Karalla just tweeted a stat on Howard: Only 91 PNR the entire season. Fewer than Cole Adrich and Thomas Robinson...We already know the guy hates being a pnr player. Please dont think he will change just because he's surrounded by great team culture.

Like I said Ill take him, but Im not going to forget what type of player and person he is and expect him to change.
Old 04-28-2016, 02:05 PM   #211
Melonhead
Guru

Melonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond repute

Last edited by Melonhead; 04-28-2016 at 02:09 PM.
Melonhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 02:08 PM   #212
Melonhead
Guru

Tom Haberstroh, ESPN Insider: " I suspect Howard will end up in Dallas where he can team up with Dirk."

Ill go ahead and assume that this guy is related to cross eyed reporter of false information, Chris Broussard
Old 04-28-2016, 02:20 PM   #213
rimrocker
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melonhead View Post

Like I said Ill take him, but Im not going to forget what type of player and person he is and expect him to change.
This team has a history with taking on head cases....some have worked out and others have been a mess.
If he does come to Dallas lets just hope he is more of a NVE, Stevenson type than a Rondo, Odom, Christie, West type.

Last edited by rimrocker; 04-28-2016 at 02:21 PM.
Old 04-28-2016, 02:31 PM   #214
Melonhead
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by rimrocker View Post
This team has a history with taking on head cases....some have worked out and others have been a mess.
If he does come to Dallas lets just hope he is more of a NVE, Stevenson type than a Rondo, Odom, Christie, West type.
To me youre comparing two different types of headcases. We KNEW deep down it wouldnt work with Rondo because hes been like that wherever he goes. I was biased with Ellis thinking he would change. Slowly but surely, he goes back to what he's been in every other town. Odom I was surprised, but not after finding out a lot of his backstory and what he's been going through and what type of player he is off the court (conditioning).

NVE and Stevenson are ballers. Theyre coming hard every night even though they are rough around the edges.

If Howard lands here, I expect the exact same type of drama and ballplayer we have seen the last few seasons in Houston and LA.
Old 04-28-2016, 02:51 PM   #215
Bryan_Wilson
Diamond Member

Bryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Bobby Karalla just tweeted a stat on Howard: Only 91 PNR the entire season. Fewer than Cole Adrich and Thomas Robinson...We already know the guy hates being a pnr player. Please dont think he will change just because he's surrounded by great team culture.

Yeah he hates being a pnr only guy but that number would be so much higher in our offense. We run PnR prolly more than any other team or at least way up there in the top 5. Give him some post touches with accomplished shooters like Parsons, Wes, Dwill, Dirk on the floor and I think that would be very difficult to defend. If he had more PnR opportunities and post touches I would bet he would improve in the other areas as well. I don't think he hates the PnR he just hates being -only- a PnR player. Apparently Houston would rather Harden lead the league in TO's rather than give Dwight a couple touches a game.
Old 04-28-2016, 03:37 PM   #216
MavzMan
Golden Member

MavzMan has a brilliant futureMavzMan has a brilliant futureMavzMan has a brilliant futureMavzMan has a brilliant futureMavzMan has a brilliant futureMavzMan has a brilliant futureMavzMan has a brilliant futureMavzMan has a brilliant futureMavzMan has a brilliant futureMavzMan has a brilliant futureMavzMan has a brilliant future

Quote:

And Houston's offense is primarily either "Harden drive, flop for a foul" or "Harden dribble for 22 seconds, jack up a shot".

Last edited by MavzMan; 04-28-2016 at 03:37 PM.
Old 04-28-2016, 03:39 PM   #217
MavzMan
Golden Member

Quote:
Tom Haberstroh, ESPN Insider: " I suspect Howard will end up in Dallas where he can team up with Dirk."

Ill go ahead and assume that this guy is related to cross eyed reporter of false information, Chris Broussard
To give him credit, he did specifically state "I suspect ..." which is different thatn "Sources say ...". Honestly, I suspect he comes here as well just based on fit and good buddy Parsons, but I also wouldn't be surprised if he takes big money somewhere else.
Old 04-28-2016, 04:00 PM   #218
Melonhead
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by MavzMan View Post
To give him credit, he did specifically state "I suspect ..." which is different thatn "Sources say ...". Honestly, I suspect he comes here as well just based on fit and good buddy Parsons, but I also wouldn't be surprised if he takes big money somewhere else.
NBA tweeted out yesterday his destinations were Orlando, Charlotte, Heat etc...Dallas was nowhere to be found. Not that it matters Dallas isnt listed, but I think we're mostly getting ahead of ourselves
Old 04-29-2016, 01:25 AM   #219
Thebo

Thebo is a splendid one to beholdThebo is a splendid one to beholdThebo is a splendid one to beholdThebo is a splendid one to beholdThebo is a splendid one to beholdThebo is a splendid one to beholdThebo is a splendid one to beholdThebo is a splendid one to beholdThebo is a splendid one to beholdThebo is a splendid one to beholdThebo is a splendid one to behold

Orlando Magic? Seriously? Milwaukee Bucks? Charlotte Hornets?
I mean, they probably will give him max money but he will not be competing with any of them. Unless some other big name joins the team. I do not think he is that interested for playing a team that barely makes playoffs. I know that Hornets are having a nice run at the moment but it is not a given that they will be there next season - remember Bucks last and this season.

Portland could be serious candidate for Howard, if Portland is willing to throw max at him. Last summer it seemed that Portland is going for a cheap rebuild. But even they are a suspect of probably having better season this time than they could have next season. There is also an issue of Lillard and whether Howard wants to play for another team that has a clear number 1 option.

Howard joining Heat would only mean Whiteside not staying there.
Thebo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 09:22 AM   #220
MavzMan
Golden Member

I heard Orlando as a good spot for from other people as well, but I just looked and they have Vucevic signed through 2018. He's a legit center, right?

I do not see him going to Miami, but I do see him going somewhere that already has a #1 option. I don't think he necessary wants to be a franchise player ... just wants the max money.
Old 04-29-2016, 12:38 PM   #221
Bryan_Wilson
Diamond Member

Tmac-

Quote:
Deron Williams intends to opt out of the second season of his contract with the Mavericks, sources told ESPN.com. Williams, 31, who could have made $5.6 million next season, plans to seek a multi-year deal that could be the final contract of his career, the sources said. There will be mutual interest in his return to Dallas after he averaged 14.1 points and 5.8 assists this season. "I would love to be back," Williams said during exit interviews this week. "This was a great year for me. My family is settled and happy here, so it'd definitely be great to be back." Williams, a native of the Dallas area, needs surgery to repair the sports hernia that caused him to miss most of the Mavs' playoff surgery but should be completely healthy entering training camp.
expected but still wanna groan...
Old 04-29-2016, 12:45 PM   #222
Underdog

Not sure if there's really a better option than DWill this summer, unless we somehow landed Conley... All the other PGs on the market have just as many warts, most with less upside. Get ready to hear this line a lot this offseason: "it is what it is."

Last edited by Underdog; 04-29-2016 at 12:46 PM.
Old 04-29-2016, 12:52 PM   #223
Melonhead
Guru

Quote:
Tmac-

Im going to read way into Deron's quotes...but it sounds like he wants a lot more money and isnt sure if the Mavs are willing. I would not go above 7-8million per year. Above that, go somewhere else and keep the guards we have and spend money on the other positions.

Barea/Felton
Wes/Harris
Parsons/Anderson
Dirk/Lee?/Parsons/Powell
(Howard,Horford,Whiteside,Ezeli?)/Salah

Spend money on a 2 or 4. I hope they draft a point guard for the future.

Last edited by Melonhead; 04-29-2016 at 12:56 PM.
Melonhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 12:53 PM   #224
Bryan_Wilson
Diamond Member

Quote:
Not sure if there's really a better option than DWill this summer, unless we somehow landed Conley... All the other PGs on the market have just as many warts, most with less upside. Get ready to hear this line a lot this offseason: "it is what it is."
Yeah the whole class is weak this year. Every position seems to be "pick the least worst" type situation.
Old 04-29-2016, 01:21 PM   #225
MavzMan
Golden Member

Quote:
Barea/Felton
Wes/Harris
Parsons/Anderson
Dirk/Lee?/Parsons/Powell
(Howard,Horford,Whiteside,Ezeli?)/Salah

Spend money on a 2 or 4. I hope they draft a point guard for the future.
Agree with that but Felton is a free agent as well. So we may end up going big next year with JJB and Harris as our primary PGs. Lin might be an option coming off the bench.

If we manage to secure a quality center, then we might be doing the "three headed monster" again but this year at the point guard position rather than center as in years past.

It is what it is.
Old 04-29-2016, 01:40 PM   #226
Melonhead
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by MavzMan View Post
Agree with that but Felton is a free agent as well. So we may end up going big next year with JJB and Harris as our primary PGs. Lin might be an option coming off the bench.

If we manage to secure a quality center, then we might be doing the "three headed monster" again but this year at the point guard position rather than center as in years past.

It is what it is.
As long as we can secure a starting quality center, Im okay with a three headed pg...I wish we couldve gotten Lin last season. I think itll be much harder to pry him away now that Charlotte might advance to the second round. If Dwill is too high, sign Felton.
Old 04-29-2016, 01:55 PM   #227
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

DevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Tmac-

Not a fan, but he'll work if we can build the roster elsewhere properly.

Curious what his asking price will be though. I'm fine with 8 mil a season but would pass at 10 regardless of the cap going up.

Old 04-29-2016, 02:23 PM   #228
BPo001
Diamond Member

BPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
As long as we can secure a starting quality center, Im okay with a three headed pg...I wish we couldve gotten Lin last season. I think itll be much harder to pry him away now that Charlotte might advance to the second round. If Dwill is too high, sign Felton.
I don't know what Felton is looking king for, but he certainly earned himself a decent contract after his playoff performance.
BPo001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 07:02 PM   #229
rimrocker
Diamond Member

DWill is fine as our future PG as far as I'm concerned as long as we address other areas of need first.
Resigning him should not be the #1 priority.

Last edited by rimrocker; 04-29-2016 at 07:03 PM.
Old 05-01-2016, 04:03 AM   #230
FreshJive
Diamond Member

FreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
To me that means don't get into a bidding war over Dwill. If that happens, then whoever signs him has surely made a mistake. I would rather take my chances with Lin, or live with Barea and Devin if it comes to that. Spend money at another position of less scarcity where you might have the chance of landing a player that is worth the money.

Last edited by FreshJive; 05-01-2016 at 04:06 AM.
FreshJive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 10:57 AM   #231
Thebo

Thebo is a splendid one to beholdThebo is a splendid one to beholdThebo is a splendid one to beholdThebo is a splendid one to beholdThebo is a splendid one to beholdThebo is a splendid one to beholdThebo is a splendid one to beholdThebo is a splendid one to beholdThebo is a splendid one to beholdThebo is a splendid one to beholdThebo is a splendid one to behold

The theory that Batum is locked to Spurs is intriguing one. SAS would have to clear Green or Diaw to offer anything close to ~17 mil. And even then you would see Duncan opting out of his player's option. What you could see is Batum taking something like 10 mil for only one year, so he could re-sign when the cap goes even higher next summer.

If Batum would leave Hornets, then Lin should come cheap. I think Charlotte is on a brink of still not out of rebuild mode. They may lose Jefferson and Batum this summer. But they have a ton money to spend and give these two even max (although I would not throw anything close to max at Jefferson).

I do hope that with everything that can happen, Lin becomes an option for Mavs. I do not believe that Batum is locked to join Spurs.
Thebo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 06:08 PM   #232
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

Looks like you might have to cross Whiteside off the list with the Heat winning that series.

Old 05-01-2016, 06:42 PM   #233
Melonhead
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevinHarriswillstart View Post
Looks like you might have to cross Whiteside off the list with the Heat winning that series.
We(me as well) keep throwing his name out there but there's nothing that would suggest we would even be on his list of choices. And Ive never bought into his "empty stats". The guy will be getting paid and I dont see why the Heat would pass.

I see an Ezeli, Hibbert, or Horford in our future. And Ill take Howard IF Dirk wants it.
Old 05-01-2016, 09:03 PM   #234
rimrocker
Diamond Member

Doubt this means anything but looks like Dwain Price is speculating about Mavs interest in Howard. Not sure where he's getting that info.

http://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap...eason-Wishlist

Last edited by rimrocker; 05-01-2016 at 09:04 PM.
Old 05-01-2016, 11:06 PM   #235
spreedom
Diamond Member

spreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by rimrocker View Post
Doubt this means anything but looks like Dwain Price is speculating about Mavs interest in Howard. Not sure where he's getting that info.

http://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap...eason-Wishlist
Here's Dwain's article from the Star:

Quote:
Dwight Howard tops Dallas Mavericks’ free-agent wish list

Rockets center would be a good fit, but he’s expensive
Other big-man options include Pau Gasol, Hassan Whiteside
Mike Conley, Nicolas Batum are possible targets

Once again this summer, the Dallas Mavericks will take another swing at landing a big-fish free agent.

It seems like the Mavericks have been striking out forever when it comes to signing a big-name free agent.

At the top of the Mavericks’ wish list this year is Houston Rockets center Dwight Howard, who plans to opt out of the final year of his contract and become a free agent this summer. Howard, it would seem, has absolutely everything the Mavericks need from a center.

Plus, Howard constantly draws a double team, which would allow Dirk Nowitzki to hang out on the perimeter and basically enjoy target practice during the twilight of his career.

Miami’s Hassan Whiteside, Chicago’s Pau Gasol and Atlanta’s Al Horford are the other centers the Mavericks will probably pursue if they can’t land Howard, who is good friends with Mavs forward Chandler Parsons.

The negatives with Howard are many: He wants a long-term contract with an annual salary of around $30 million, he’s a career 56.8 percent shooter from the free-throw line, and, according to his critics, he doesn’t take the game seriously.

A look at the free agents the Mavs might pursue:

Dwight Howard, center, Rockets: A center who can score, rebound, block shots and play defense is all that’s missing from the Mavericks’ being a legitimate title contender.

Hassan Whiteside, center, Heat: Talk about a windshield wiper who blocks everything in his path — that’s Whiteside. He scores, rebounds, blocks shots and is a threat to get a triple-double.

Ryan Anderson, forward, Pelicans: Anderson probably should have won the Sixth Man Award this season, and probably would be an All-Star if he played all 82 games against the Mavericks. He has Stephen Curry-like 3-point range.

Pau Gasol, center, Bulls: Gasol never seems to age, his skills never seem to diminish. This season he averaged 16.5 points and 11 rebounds and was seventh in the NBA in double-doubles with 46.

Nicolas Batum, forward, Hornets: Batum is a solid all-around player who averaged 14.9 points, 6.1 rebounds and 5.8 assists this season. All he does is fill up the stat sheet.

Mike Conley, guard, Grizzlies: Hard to imagine Conley leaving the Grizzlies. But if point guard Deron Williams doesn’t give the Mavs a hometown discount after opting out of his final contract year, Conley would be a nice backup plan.

Kent Bazemore, forward, Hawks: An Energizer Bunny, Bazemore is in constant motion, creating havoc on the floor. This season he averaged 11.6 points, 5.1 rebounds and 1.3 steals.
http://www.star-telegram.com/sports/...e74943577.html
spreedom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 10:01 AM   #236
bunkmoreland

bunkmoreland is a splendid one to beholdbunkmoreland is a splendid one to beholdbunkmoreland is a splendid one to beholdbunkmoreland is a splendid one to beholdbunkmoreland is a splendid one to beholdbunkmoreland is a splendid one to beholdbunkmoreland is a splendid one to beholdbunkmoreland is a splendid one to beholdbunkmoreland is a splendid one to beholdbunkmoreland is a splendid one to beholdbunkmoreland is a splendid one to behold

So in theory we could go the route of re-sign Parsons and Williams and add Dwight and have a rotation of:

Williams, Barea
Matthews, Harris
Parsons, Anderson
Dirk, cheap free agent
Dwight, Mejri, Powell

If everybody's healthy, that's not terrible. Not a super threat to the Spurs or Warriors, but a playoff team for sure.
bunkmoreland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 10:36 AM   #237
rimrocker
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by spreedom View Post
Here's Dwain's article from the Star:

http://www.star-telegram.com/sports/...e74943577.html
I'd love where we'd be sitting right now if DJ wouldn't have screwed us last season because it would probably be enough to attract Conley which would have been the final piece.
Conley/Matthews/Parsons/Dirk/DJ would be a nice contender going into next season.
I know, could-ofs, would-ofs, should-ofs....

I don't see Conley having any interest in us now.
Old 05-02-2016, 10:45 AM   #238
spreedom
Diamond Member

spreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond repute

TBH Conley isn't the type of player is be comfortable spending $20M/year on anyway. Deron, at least five years past his prime, gives you almost identical offensive production and he likely won't get a third of the guaranteed total that Conley will.
spreedom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 12:41 PM   #239
rimrocker
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by spreedom View Post
TBH Conley isn't the type of player is be comfortable spending $20M/year on anyway. Deron, at least five years past his prime, gives you almost identical offensive production and he likely won't get a third of the guaranteed total that Conley will.
I'm wondering if the numbers will work to sign Parsons, Howard and DWill. Mavs say they won't offer Howard anywhere near max but that could all change once the courting begins. The problem is what is plan B if we can't sign all 3 of those? Would we be much better signing DWill, Parsons and someone like Gasol? Or would we be much better signing Howard, Parsons and someone like Felton?
Either way, if we can't sign all 3 of Parsons, Howard and DWill then I don't see where we'd be much better than last season....at least not enough improvement to be relevant.

And yeah, Conley isn't worth $20mil....not to us right now.

Last edited by rimrocker; 05-02-2016 at 12:44 PM.
Old 05-02-2016, 12:43 PM   #240
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by bunkmoreland View Post
So in theory we could go the route of re-sign Parsons and Williams and add Dwight and have a rotation of:

Williams, Barea
Matthews, Harris
Parsons, Anderson
Dirk, cheap free agent
Dwight, Mejri, Powell

If everybody's healthy, that's not terrible. Not a super threat to the Spurs or Warriors, but a playoff team for sure.
That starting lineup is going to have defensive issues. And honestly, I'm not really sure how the offense is much different either. And I still think rebounding is an issue as well.

Basically, Howard and Parsons need to be the best versions of themselves for that to work. Not saying it can't work, but I still don't think we're close to contention.