Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Everything Else > Other Sports Talk

Old 03-21-2007, 02:11 PM   #201
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by jthig32
I have no idea how to feel. I am excited about some things, not excited about others.

I think our bullpen will be great, I think our offense will be frustrating at times.

I think our season will hinge on McCarthy and Tejeda, and to a lesser extent, Sosa, Wilkerson and Cruz.

I think this season could be a disaster in the short term, and I think we could win the division.
you needs meds for all that confusion.

thank, thiggy

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"

Last edited by sike; 03-21-2007 at 02:11 PM.
sike is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-21-2007, 02:17 PM   #202
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Flacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I think our season will hinge on McCarthy and Tejeda, and to a lesser extent, Sosa, Wilkerson and Cruz.
No Gagne on that list, thig? That guy is a walking question mark and they want to just toss him into the closing spot right off the bat(pun?), don't they?
Old 03-21-2007, 02:32 PM   #203
richard_

richard_ will become famous soon enough

Anything Gagne gives will be a bonus, he is a very low risk move with Aki on the roster too. The season hardly hinges on him.

Last edited by richard_; 03-21-2007 at 02:32 PM.
richard_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2007, 02:34 PM   #204
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Flacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by richard_
Anything Gagne gives will be a bonus, he is a very low risk move with Aki on the roster too. The season hardly hinges on him.
Ok well I guess my concern lies with the way Washington talks about him then. I can't help but think "how many games will they give away in the mean time while trying to see if he's still got anything?"

When does the season start?
Old 03-21-2007, 02:36 PM   #205
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flacolaco
No Gagne on that list, thig? That guy is a walking question mark and they want to just toss him into the closing spot right off the bat(pun?), don't they?
My main reason for not listing him is that our bullpen is already deep, and we have a closer ready to take over for him if he ends up not producing.

So, with Gagne, we have an elite bullpen. Without Gagne, we have an above average bullpen, at least as it stands right now.

So no, I don't think the season hinges on Gagne's health.

I also think all signs point to him being completely healthy. I'm not real concerned.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com
jthig32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2007, 02:37 PM   #206
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flacolaco
Ok well I guess my concern lies with the way Washington talks about him then. I can't help but think "how many games will they give away in the mean time while trying to see if he's still got anything?"

When does the season start?
Season starts in less than two weeks, and I have zero problem with them throwing Gagne out there on day one. He's done everything asked of him this spring.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com
Old 03-21-2007, 02:51 PM   #207
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

Male30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond repute

Francisco not making the pen would really, really suprise me.
Old 03-21-2007, 03:45 PM   #208
ames7
Diamond Member

ames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to behold

But if Frankie makes it, that means Littleton wouldn't, right? Cause the other open spot will go to Loe or Wright. I'd be more surprised to see Littleton not make it. I think they trying to trade Feldman for bench.
Old 03-24-2007, 09:56 PM   #209
ames7
Diamond Member

ames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to behold

Jamey Wright has won the #5 job, per Newberg & I believe I caught it on the update during the Stars broadcast. Loe now in play for the pen, Chen likely to be moved. So it will be Loe + one of Littleton/Feldman/Francisco in the last 2 pen spots, since I think Loe has pitched more than well enough to stay up.
Old 03-24-2007, 11:26 PM   #210
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

Male30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond repute

Man I was pulling for Loe for the 5th spot.

Pitch good Wright!
Old 03-25-2007, 09:19 AM   #211
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

I was in favor of the McCarthy trade, so I can't really complain, but I would like to point out that both Masset AND Danks have made the White Sox' opening day roster, with Danks making it as the 5th starter.

That makes me really uneasy.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
Old 03-25-2007, 09:33 AM   #212
LonestarROB
Patient # 312412

LonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to all

McCarthy has an era over 9 this spring to boot.

Website - www.thegamesector.com
Hell bent 100% Texan 'til I die.

Last edited by LonestarROB; 03-25-2007 at 09:34 AM.
LonestarROB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2007, 02:52 PM   #213
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

well, it's a good thing spring training doesn't count.....hopefully.
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2007, 09:18 PM   #214
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murphy3
well, it's a good thing spring training doesn't count.....hopefully.
Yeah, don't get me wrong, I'm not saying I expect the springs of either pitcher to continue.

But, if at the time of the trade you had told me that both Danks and Masset would've been ready for a major league roster this spring, I might not have made the deal.

I just really, really hope this doesn't turn disastrous for the Rangers. I can't imagine the fallout from this if Danks goes on to have a stellar career, and McCarthy doesn't fulfill his promise.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
Old 03-25-2007, 10:17 PM   #215
TheBlueVan
Golden Member

TheBlueVan is a name known to allTheBlueVan is a name known to allTheBlueVan is a name known to allTheBlueVan is a name known to allTheBlueVan is a name known to allTheBlueVan is a name known to allTheBlueVan is a name known to allTheBlueVan is a name known to all

im gonna get on board saying i was against the danks trade. he's been nurtured in our farm system for years, i would have liked to see him get a shot, especially since he supposedly had such good stuff
TheBlueVan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2007, 11:59 PM   #216
nashtymavsfan13
Diamond Member

nashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Male23Dan
Man I was pulling for Loe for the 5th spot.

Pitch good Wright!
Jamey Wright was a Giant last year, and even though his numbers don't show it, was a solid starter for us. He deserves to be in the rotation, but he can be one of those Stackhouse type guys who one game you like a lot but the next he does badly.

"He's as valuable as anyone. The most unusual thing is that they lose last year's MVP and still get better. It's unheard of."

"For a team as good as the Mavs, the regular season is just 82 practice games until the real season begins." -G-Man

"We wanted this for Dirk because of his heart, his class, his work ethic, his humility, his sense of humor, his respect for the game, and his respect for people."
nashtymavsfan13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2007, 02:34 PM   #217
mffl03

mffl03 will become famous soon enough

What was that sketch that some of the pitchers of the Rangers played out? It was on TXA 21 or something like that. I only caught a glimpse, and I don't know all their names yet...usually by midseason I do though.

It was to show the "humorous" side of the pitching staff
mffl03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2007, 04:20 PM   #218
LonestarROB
Patient # 312412

LonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to all

It was Loe, CJ Wilson(?) and some other guy doing a spoof of Reno 911. It aired during saturdays spring training game. I'll try and find a clip.

Last edited by LonestarROB; 03-26-2007 at 04:24 PM.
Old 03-26-2007, 05:46 PM   #219
LonestarROB
Patient # 312412

Btw, Rangers spring game is on FSN this evening.

Old 03-26-2007, 06:59 PM   #220
Kirobaito
Platinum Member

Kirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant future

The tattooed fellow is Josh Rupe. I don't know who the other cop is.
Kirobaito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2007, 09:28 PM   #221
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

CJ Wilson, Kam Loe, Josh Rupe, and Wes Littleton.

CJ wrote and directed the thing, and there's more to follow.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
Old 03-26-2007, 10:19 PM   #222
ames7
Diamond Member

It's up at CJ's blog: http://cjwilson.mlblogs.com/my_weblo...sgolf_car.html
It's not groundbreakingly hilarious or anything, but I think it's great players are getting involved in stuff like this. PS: It looks like Wilson will continue blogging throughout the season, yay. It's a pretty amusing read if you haven't seen it.
Old 03-27-2007, 09:56 AM   #223
LonestarROB
Patient # 312412

Thanks for the link ames.

Watched the game lastnight. Now, i'm not going to crown them World Series Champs or anything but they look ALOT better to me this year. Winnings nice, and its only spring, but its just the way the team "looks". They all seem so much looser and happy compared to past seasons. Looks like they're having so much more fun under Washington.

Old 03-27-2007, 05:59 PM   #224
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

Texas currently trailing SD 23-5...

Wow...
Old 03-27-2007, 06:14 PM   #225
ames7
Diamond Member

Oh dear, Millwood got lit. And Gagne. Not good.

PS: it bears mentioning...originally, TR Sullivan at the Rangers O site was the one who reported Wright won the 5th starter job, this was several days ago. But both papers are still saying the decision isn't final & Sullivan kind of backed off too. Since the original story broke, Loe had a great outing & Wright had a not-great outing. Wright will probably end up ultimately getting it anyway, but it's worth watching.
Old 03-27-2007, 08:13 PM   #226
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

Honestly, Loe in the pen might be more important to start the season than Wright as the fifth starter...
Old 03-28-2007, 01:04 PM   #227
ames7
Diamond Member

It appears Feldman has won the final 7th inning spot. Frankie Francisco & Wes Littleton have been optioned to OKC. I think it's the right move. Feldman's been very good & they can let the other two work out whatever it is they need to work out. All three of them have options so they'll probably be up & down anyway.

Oh, also, Evan Grant reports Jamey Wright is now officially the 5th starter. Bullpen now looks like this:
Closer: Gagne
Set-up: Otsuka
RHP: Loe, Feldman, Benoit
LHP: Mahay, Wilson

Last edited by ames7; 03-28-2007 at 01:06 PM.
ames7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2007, 01:25 PM   #228
ames7
Diamond Member

Awww MAN. Eric Gagne starting the year on the DL, per the Ticket. Depressing.

EDIT: DMN blog has this:
Quote:
Reliever Eric Gagne will start the season on the disabled list. He is expected to be activated April 13.

The move is not a health issue; the Rangers just want Gagne to get more work in before the season starts.
Oh yeah, that makes me feel a lot better. Wait, no, it doesn't.

Last edited by ames7; 03-29-2007 at 01:27 PM.
Old 04-01-2007, 01:25 PM   #229
ames7
Diamond Member

Opening Day Roster:
Quote:
Positional players:

Gerald Laird
Chris Stewart
Mark Teixeira
Michael Young
Ian Kinsler
Hank Blalock
Matt Kata
Frank Catalanotto
Sammy Sosa
Brad Wilkerson
Kenny Lofton
Nelson Cruz
Jerry Hairston, Jr.

Pitchers:

Kevin Millwood
Vicente Padilla
Brandon McCarthy
Robinson Tejeda
Akinori Otsuka
Kam Loe
Joaquin Benoit
C.J. Wilson
Ron Mahay
Scott Feldman
Mike Wood
Bruce Chen
Gagne starts on the DL. Wright starts in Frisco.

They've killed my buzz for this team a little over the last month. I still think they have a good shot at the West. Give me... 85 wins, second in the West.
Old 04-01-2007, 02:08 PM   #230
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

So, in case anyone cares, I think the Rangers win the West this year. I think if the Angels get healthy it'll be a close race with them.

I think Oakland and Seattle will be well behind Texas and LA.

I think Padilla's going to disappoint, but I think McCarthy, Tejeda and Loe are going to pick up the slack nicely.

I think Gagne turns in a solid year as the closer, and I think the failure of Sosa and the mild disappointment of Cruz leads JD to trade for a bat before the deadline.

I'm pumped for baseball season to start. Not as pumped as I am for today's Mavs' game, but I'm still pumped.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
Old 04-01-2007, 03:04 PM   #231
Murphy3
Guru

I wouldn't be surprised to see Chen in the rotation with Wright looking for a job by the end of April.
Old 04-01-2007, 05:29 PM   #232
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murphy3
I wouldn't be surprised to see Chen in the rotation with Wright looking for a job by the end of April.
You don't think Loe would take his spot?

Assuming Gagne is here according to their current plan, and Littleton and Francisco are ready to go soon, I have to think Loe takes over the 5th starter spot.

There's a reason the Rangers already talked to Chen about accepting an assignment to AAA at some point. Most people think he and Wood are gone as soon as Wright and Gagne are back, which should be soon.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game

Last edited by jthig32; 04-01-2007 at 05:30 PM.
Old 04-01-2007, 06:46 PM   #233
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for posting the roster, Ames. Can someone tell me who the hell these people are:

Chris Stewart
Matt Kata

Mike Wood
Bruce Chen

I'm sure either Stewart or Kata is a backup catcher, but other than that I have no idea.
chumdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2007, 08:34 PM   #234
ames7
Diamond Member

This is somewhat helpful: http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcont...s.3797190.html

Apparently, Kata is the utility guy (DMN says he can play IF & OF) & Stewart is the backup catcher. I know Wood had a good spring, but I think he & Chen are gone when Wright & Gagne get back. Since the Rangers neglected to show any spring training games on TV during the week I was actually home, I haven't seen any of these guys & have no idea why they're on the team.
Old 04-01-2007, 09:12 PM   #235
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

We got Wood from Baltimore for Ramon Nivar two years ago, I believe. He had TJ surgery about halfway through the season after we aquired him. I think he was pitching for Oklahoma.

Stewart is a young catcher we got from the White Sox for some prospect. Don't remember when the trade went down. He a really good defensive catcher with no bat. Typical career backup, I think.

Chen and Kata were non-roster invites. Chen is a lefty pitcher who pitched for Baltimore the past few years. Kata I'd never heard of before this spring, but he's had a hell of a spring, for what that's worth. Think Mark DeRosa, before he figured out how to hit, at least for a season.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game

Last edited by jthig32; 04-01-2007 at 09:13 PM.
Old 04-02-2007, 09:18 PM   #236
ames7
Diamond Member

Anyone watching? Switching back & forth between the Stars game... switched over in time to see GMJ rob Tex. Annoying.

edit: Someone feel free to start a season thread...as usual, I don't have the best of luck.

Last edited by ames7; 04-02-2007 at 09:20 PM.
Old 04-02-2007, 09:41 PM   #237
nashtymavsfan13
Diamond Member

nashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant future

I'm not going to do it either, I'm a Giants fan and Lackey is on my fantasy team

I'll root for you guys tomorrow haha

"He's as valuable as anyone. The most unusual thing is that they lose last year's MVP and still get better. It's unheard of."

"For a team as good as the Mavs, the regular season is just 82 practice games until the real season begins." -G-Man

"We wanted this for Dirk because of his heart, his class, his work ethic, his humility, his sense of humor, his respect for the game, and his respect for people."
nashtymavsfan13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 09:48 PM   #238
Murphy3
Guru

Quote:
You don't think Loe would take his spot?

Assuming Gagne is here according to their current plan, and Littleton and Francisco are ready to go soon, I have to think Loe takes over the 5th starter spot.

There's a reason the Rangers already talked to Chen about accepting an assignment to AAA at some point. Most people think he and Wood are gone as soon as Wright and Gagne are back, which should be soon.
I think something will happen that'll open up a spot for Chen... Someone will have some tightness in their arm or will totally tank the first couple of weeks and it'll open up a spot for Chen.. then Wright will be mediocre and the Rangers will slide him into the 5th spot...
Old 04-02-2007, 10:06 PM   #239
Five-ofan
Guru

Five-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond repute

bruce chen is god awful. the more he pitches the worse it is.
Five-ofan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 10:17 PM   #240
Murphy3
Guru

Well, he did win 13 in 2005 while pitching almost 200 innings to go along with a 3.83 ERA... He's also won 15 and 16 games at the major league level... Plus, his career ERA is 4.60. So, no, he's 'god awful'. He might be 'god mediocre', but not 'god awful'. At least, 'god awful' is not what his career numbers would indicate. Yes, 'god awful' would be representative of what he did last year...

He's definitely alot more accomplished than Wright...