Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Everything Else > Other Sports Talk

Old 12-10-2007, 01:42 AM   #1
FINtastic
Diamond Member

FINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond repute

Offensive Ranks of our opponents (I believe by yards per game):

NYG - 15
Miami - 29
Chicago - 23
St. Louis - 25
Buffalo - 31
New England - 1
Minnesota - 12
Philly - 5
NYG - 15
Washington - 17
NYJ - 28
GB - 3
Detroit - 18

Those numbers might be a little deceiving. The competition has been kind of weak (I'm not sure how the heck Philly has the number 5 offense).

"Ok, Go Mavericks!"
-Avery Johnson
FINtastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2007, 04:49 AM   #2
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

Optimism Grows Over Glenn's Potential Return

dallascowboys.com

Terry Glenn is another step closer to potentially returning from his Sept. 13 knee surgery this season.

The Cowboys' veteran receiver has begun running routes during his rehab exercises and caught some balls from practice squad quarterback Richard Bartel during a productive workout this past Friday.

There's a chance Glenn could participate some in this week's practices, though Cowboys owner and general manager Jerry Jones said even if he did Glenn wouldn't be ready for next Sunday's game against Philadelphia. The team's Dec. 22 road game at Carolina is a possibility, however, Jones said.

"He's working his tail off and they're doing a good job on him," Jones said of Glenn's diligent rehab with Cowboys assistant trainer Britt Brown and the rest of the Cowboys' training staff. "No one knows, but from where we are right now relative to what we've got planned for him this week and next week, I'm positive."

Jones said he expected Glenn to practice some this week for the first time since suffering a second, though unrelated, right knee injury this summer. Glenn had two options at the time of the second: Undergo season-ending microfracture surgery that would promote growth of new cartilage, or simply have the loose particles removed to maintain hope of returning this year.

Glenn chose the latter, even though the scope is a short-term solution that doesn't guarantee a full recovery. While there's no timetable for his return, the strength in Glenn's quad has improved and he hasn't suffered any setbacks during his recent workouts.

The Cowboys have held onto Glenn's 53-man roster spot with optimistic hope he'll be able to return this year. Jones said earlier this week Glenn still could be a factor come playoff time even if he doesn't play in the regular season.

These days being a fan is a competition to see who can be the most upset when
your team loses. That proves you love winning more. That's how it works.

Last edited by Underdog; 12-10-2007 at 04:50 AM.
Underdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2007, 09:58 AM   #3
MavsWiLLHaVeRinGs
Diamond Member

MavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant future

I think I'm more worried about playing the Giants in the playoffs than any other team in the NFC. It might sound crazy, I mean we swept them this year right? Well that's was a very hard thing to do, and beating a team 3 times in a single season is VERY DIFFICULT to do. I could see the Giants beating the Packers in the Divisional Round as I'm not really sold on Green Bay in the playoffs and facing us in the NFC Championship game. I'm also a little concerned with Seattle, Green Bay is below both those teams IMO as far as being a threat to go to the Super Bowl instead of us.

On the AFC side of things, I don't consider it a lock that the Patriots are going to Arizona either, as I think with a healthy Marvin Harrison Indy can beat them. That doesn't mean they will but it means they possibly can. I could see these Conference Championship games

AFC New England vs Indianapolis
NFC Dallas vs N.Y. Giants

There's alot of storylines there. Will the team of the decade (Patriots) face America's Team in the Super Bowl? Will it be Manning vs Manning in the Super Bowl? How about Indy/Dallas, the Cowboys beat the Colts a year ago. Drama Drama Drama

Or if the Packers get there "Can Brett Favre lead his team past the greatest team of all time in the Patriots?"

I think I'm more excited about this years playoffs in football than in a long long time.

Last edited by MavsWiLLHaVeRinGs; 12-10-2007 at 10:04 AM.
MavsWiLLHaVeRinGs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2007, 10:52 AM   #4
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by MavsWiLLHaVeRinGs
I think I'm more excited about this years playoffs in football than in a long long time.

Me too - that's a wonderful thing...

Old 12-10-2007, 12:33 PM   #5
alby
Guru

alby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond repute

has anyone ever beaten a team 3 times in a row?

I know 10 years ago when we beat the Cardinals twice in the regular season, they came into Texas Stadium and a young Jake Plummer led them to victory over us in the playoffs.

good point with the Giants

Contact Me
Twitter: www.twitter.com/alnguyen84
Facebook: www.facebook.com/alnguyen84
alby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2007, 02:11 PM   #6
Underdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by alby

I know 10 years ago when we beat the Cardinals twice in the regular season, they came into Texas Stadium and a young Jake Plummer led them to victory over us in the playoffs.

I don't know if it's happened 3 times in a row in one season (but how many opportunities does a team really have to do that?)

I know the Raiders just snapped a streak of losing to the Chiefs 9 times in a row over the last few seasons, so I'd say it's definitely possible to beat a team 3 in a row in the same season (especially if Eli Manning is their QB!)

Old 12-10-2007, 02:30 PM   #7
FINtastic
Diamond Member

FINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

Yeah, I'm kind of in agreement here. I don't really want to have to play the Giants three times in a row. I don't really think they are anywhere near the Cowboys level, but they can be a scary team when healthy, and you would rather not run into a rival needing to beat them a third time in a row.

"Ok, Go Mavericks!"
-Avery Johnson
FINtastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2007, 08:50 PM   #8
alby
Guru

alby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond repute

I meant 3 times one season.. I don't think it has been done, I know back during the Cowboys/Cardinals year, noone had done it

Contact Me
Old 12-10-2007, 09:16 PM   #9
Underdog

Quote:
I meant 3 times one season.. I don't think it has been done, I know back during the Cowboys/Cardinals year, noone had done it

The 2004-2005 St Louis Rams (8-8) beat the Seattle Seahawks twice in the regular season & once in the playoffs, for a total of 3 victories over the same team in a single season...

link

That should help you sleep a little better at night...

Last edited by Underdog; 12-10-2007 at 09:17 PM.
Old 12-10-2007, 09:30 PM   #10
alby
Guru

haha nice.. is that the only time?

Contact Me
Old 12-10-2007, 09:40 PM   #11
Underdog

Quote:
haha nice.. is that the only time?

That's the only time I know of, but considering the Rams were 8-8 and we're 12-1, I wouldn't worry too much...

These 2 people make me feel better about our chances:

1) Eli "Aw Shucks" Manning (can't win a game once Ware & Ellis get inside his head...)

2) Terry Glenn (if he comes back 75% as speedy as he was, we'll put up 50+ points on the Giants...)

Last edited by Underdog; 12-10-2007 at 09:41 PM.
Old 12-10-2007, 09:31 PM   #12
alby
Guru

triple post

Contact Me

Last edited by alby; 12-10-2007 at 09:33 PM.
Old 12-10-2007, 09:32 PM   #13
alby
Guru

triple post

Contact Me

Last edited by alby; 12-10-2007 at 09:33 PM.
Old 12-10-2007, 09:49 PM   #14
alby
Guru

I just want Henry/Newman to be 100%

Reeves is Plaxico's best friend.

Contact Me
Old 12-11-2007, 09:10 PM   #15
mavspwnage
Golden Member

mavspwnage has a brilliant futuremavspwnage has a brilliant futuremavspwnage has a brilliant futuremavspwnage has a brilliant futuremavspwnage has a brilliant futuremavspwnage has a brilliant futuremavspwnage has a brilliant futuremavspwnage has a brilliant futuremavspwnage has a brilliant futuremavspwnage has a brilliant futuremavspwnage has a brilliant future

The Titans beat the Jags twice in the regular season and then again in the AFC championship game back in the '99-00 season. The Jags finished with a 15-3 record that year. Ouch.
Old 12-11-2007, 09:13 PM   #16
mavspwnage
Golden Member

mavspwnage has a brilliant futuremavspwnage has a brilliant futuremavspwnage has a brilliant futuremavspwnage has a brilliant futuremavspwnage has a brilliant futuremavspwnage has a brilliant futuremavspwnage has a brilliant futuremavspwnage has a brilliant futuremavspwnage has a brilliant futuremavspwnage has a brilliant futuremavspwnage has a brilliant future

This play was a penalty, but I still love the body-slam...

Old 12-11-2007, 09:35 PM   #17
alby
Guru

Agreed.

Beware of Dware

Contact Me
Old 12-12-2007, 01:09 PM   #18
TripleDipping
Diamond Member

TripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud of

Niceeee
TripleDipping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2007, 02:30 PM   #19
alby
Guru

Jessica Alba is pregnant

No romo for her

Contact Me
Old 12-12-2007, 03:38 PM   #20
DirkFTW
Diamond Member

DirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond repute

...unless Romo's further along on the Brady development chart than anyone expected.

Is this ghost ball??
DirkFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2007, 03:43 PM   #21
alby
Guru

In that case, Romo would have had to of gotten Alba pregnant, leave her, then date a Victoria Secret model.

Contact Me
Old 12-12-2007, 04:01 PM   #22
Dirkgreatness
Platinum Member

Dirkgreatness is a splendid one to beholdDirkgreatness is a splendid one to beholdDirkgreatness is a splendid one to beholdDirkgreatness is a splendid one to beholdDirkgreatness is a splendid one to beholdDirkgreatness is a splendid one to beholdDirkgreatness is a splendid one to beholdDirkgreatness is a splendid one to beholdDirkgreatness is a splendid one to beholdDirkgreatness is a splendid one to beholdDirkgreatness is a splendid one to behold

T.O. fires back at Keyshawn
12:34 PM Wed, Dec 12, 2007 | Permalink
Albert Breer Bio --> E-mail News tips

OK, so on ESPN's Sunday NFL Countdown this week, former Cowboys (and Jets and Bucs) WR Keyshawn Johnson said he feels like the Tuna deserves credit for building this team that's 12-1.

And that, added to what Key said earlier in the year, was enough to prompt Terrell Owens to let loose in the afternoon today. Man, some day for Tabloid Timmy to be stuck in a conference room, and locked away from Cowboys Blog.

"I’m probably the main reason he’s in the booth right now," Owens said, referencing the fact that his signing led to Johnson's Dallas ouster. "It’s uncharacteristic of him, but it doesn’t surprise me. For me, if he’s gonna be hater and throw me under the bus, (it’s) because he and Bill are real good friends. Nobody would even know he won the Super Bowl unless you checked the roster.

"My thing is, we came out the same year. He was a first-rounder, I was a third rounder. I’m still playing, he’s not. You compare our stats up until the time he retired, it’s a no-brainer. I’d challenge him to come out and try to make this team. He’d be a third or fourth receiver at this point. He can hate all he wants to. Compare the stats, they don’t lie.

"Here’s a guy, writes the book, ‘Give Me the Damn Ball,’ and he has 106 catches and one touchdown, and that was off a tipped pass. I’ll never do that in my career. He can hate all he wants to."

It seemed like this was pretty deep rooted. But T.O. did take time to respond to the assertion that this is still Team Tuna.

"It’s not a matter of me giving or not giving Bill credit," Owens said. "Everybody wants to make a big deal, that this is the team he built. It doesn’t matter. ... My thing is give credit to Wade (that's Phillips). The difference between Wade and Parcells is this: Parcells, he didn’t use me as a playmaker; Wade, he got the staff, and that’s what I’m being used as.

"Plain and simple, without trying to be negative or anything. I’m being used as a playmaker, and as I said, the proof is in the pudding."

Then, things swung right back to Key, and his willingness to toss a couple verbal stones. And the idea that Johnson is Parcells' mouthpiece.

"Those guys are probably talking about me, chopping it up, drinking coffee," Owens said. "They can have their little pity party and talk about me all day long. It doesn’t bother me. There’s a lot of people on the ESPN panel and across the country that has observed what has happened this year vs. last year. And there’s a lot of people that just don’t want to give credit for what Wade has does and what wasn’t done last year. That’s it. I’m not trying to be negative."

And now the clock starts ... I just can't wait for T-Mac to weigh on in.

http://cowboys.beloblog.com/archives..._keyshawn.html

OOOOO BURNNN!!!!!!

Last edited by Dirkgreatness; 12-12-2007 at 04:03 PM.
Dirkgreatness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2007, 04:06 PM   #23
alby
Guru

man, I really love T.O.

Contact Me
Old 12-12-2007, 04:06 PM   #24
Underdog

Keyshawn does seem to have a bigger mouth these days...

I hope TO shut Key's trap up, but I bet we'll be hearing more about this...

Last edited by Underdog; 12-12-2007 at 04:07 PM.
Old 12-12-2007, 04:10 PM   #25
alby
Guru

I really hope Keyshawn tries to rebuttle this. Facts are facts. T.O. is still in the NFL, having one of the best years in the entire league, and in his career for that matter, while Keyshawn is behind a desk showing his bitterness towards the Cowboys as much as he can each Sunday.

Contact Me
Old 12-12-2007, 05:53 PM   #26
Underdog

Out since camp, Glenn back at practice

IRVING, Texas (AP) - Cowboys receiver Terry Glenn went through some drills at practice for the first time all season Wednesday, a good indication the already dominant Dallas offense could have another weapon by the playoffs.

Glenn, out because of two knee operations, is not expected to play Sunday against the Eagles. He could make his season debut the following Saturday at Carolina or in the regular-season finale at Washington. If the Cowboys get a first-round bye, Glenn would have four weeks of practice before the first playoff game.

Glenn was supposed to be Tony Romo's deep threat until having arthroscopic surgery on his right knee during training camp. He was hurt again in his first practice back, leading to a second arthroscopic procedure in September. It wasn't a typical scope, though, which is why he's been so slow to return. At the time, he also was considering season-ending microfracture surgery.

Dallas has kept him on the roster all season exactly for this scenario — a return just in time for the playoffs.

"Terry is an anomaly, he's a guy that really can't be covered one-on-one," Romo said. "We're going to see to what extent he comes back, obviously. If it's the old Terry Glenn, this guy is unbelievable. ... I like our offense a lot right now, obviously. With him coming back, I think that we add another dimension that helps us be even more explosive."

Glenn's return to practice had been expected for several days. He's been working out at team headquarters in recent weeks, and on Friday ran routes and caught passes.

This time, he came out wearing a red Ohio State hat, a blue Cowboys sweatshirt and with his right leg tightly wrapped. He limbered up with teammates, then spoke with assistant trainer Britt Brown as individual drills began. Glenn then went to the end of the line as fellow receivers caught passes being lobbed by a coach. The next session required cuts off the line and he made them smoothly, with flashes of his great speed.

Glenn and the Cowboys are planning on taking this return slowly because they know he's only one misstep from not getting into the lineup this season.

The Cowboys already have clinched the division title and can wrap up a first-round bye with a win Sunday at home against the Eagles. If Dallas wins and Green Bay loses at St. Louis, the Cowboys also would clinch home-field advantage throughout the NFC playoffs.

Glenn caught 70 passes for 1,047 yards and six touchdowns last season, with his best days coming after Romo replaced Drew Bledsoe. So when Glenn went down in the preseason, it was expected to slow the Dallas offense.

The Cowboys have done just fine without him, though, leading the NFC in scoring and yards, and on pace to set club records in both categories. Still, they're eager to have him back.

"It'll be another guy for defensive teams to contend with," fellow receiver Terrell Owens said. "Everyone knows the impact Terry Glenn (can have) and once he gets out there and gets his feet underneath him, I'm sure he'll be back to his old self."

lthough he's 33 and in his 12th season, Glenn — when healthy — is among the fastest players on the roster and perhaps Dallas' most well-rounded receiver.

Even at less than full strength he could hurt defenses that pay too much attention to Owens and Jason Witten. Of course, any extra attention paid to him would open things up for Owens and Witten.

Patrick Crayton has done a nice job filling in for Glenn as the No. 2 receiver and could keep that spot, with Glenn being the third receiver. Or perhaps they'll share both jobs. Offensive coordinator Jason Garrett probably won't mind having to solve that problem.

"Terry's a phenomenal talent," Romo said. "Anything that he does, even if it's 80 percent of what he was before, he's still going to give you something good."

Last edited by Underdog; 12-12-2007 at 05:54 PM.
Old 12-12-2007, 06:21 PM   #27
alby
Guru

Amazing how good T.O. really is at 34.

Contact Me
Old 12-12-2007, 06:35 PM   #28
Kirobaito
Platinum Member

Kirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant future

Can you imagine now, with 3-wide sets, Owens, Witten, Crayton, and Glenn to throw to? Good golly, Miss Molly.
Old 12-12-2007, 06:48 PM   #29
alby
Guru

would you take that over NE's? I know I would.

Contact Me
Old 12-13-2007, 12:08 AM   #30
alby
Guru

Keyshawn replies!

T.O. > Keyshawn Johnson

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3152144

Contact Me
Old 12-13-2007, 12:19 AM   #31
Dirkgreatness
Platinum Member

Dirkgreatness is a splendid one to beholdDirkgreatness is a splendid one to beholdDirkgreatness is a splendid one to beholdDirkgreatness is a splendid one to beholdDirkgreatness is a splendid one to beholdDirkgreatness is a splendid one to beholdDirkgreatness is a splendid one to beholdDirkgreatness is a splendid one to beholdDirkgreatness is a splendid one to beholdDirkgreatness is a splendid one to beholdDirkgreatness is a splendid one to behold

Heres the Video of TO blasting Keyshawn.
Old 12-15-2007, 02:06 PM   #32
alby
Guru

a different response from keyshawn

http://youtube.com/watch?v=HgofpeFDRS8

Contact Me