Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > Trade and Draft Board

Old 01-16-2004, 12:00 PM   #201
madape
Diamond Member

madape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to behold
Default RE: Rasheed Wallace

Coaches, players: Do it now

Nash is talking daily with teams about potential trades.
"We are better off doing nothing and not being encumbered by bad contracts or bad players," the Portland GM says. "Would I like to make a good trade? Yeah. We would have made one by now if there was anything out there."
If a trade is to be made, Blazer players and coaches would prefer it be done now rather than closer to the Feb. 19 deadline.
"I don't really want to see 'Sheed go," Damon Stoudamire says, "but if you think that is what's best for the team, you should do something before the trade deadline. Don't let it play out."
Stoudamire says the trade rumors have been distracting the last few weeks.
"A cloud is always over this team," he says.
Jeff McInnis has heard his name mentioned in trade talks, too.
"I don't read the papers, but friends tell me my name is in a lot of rumors," he says.
Zach Randolph's game has suffered while Wallace has been out with an ankle injury. On the recent four-game road trip, the young power forward shot .346 from the field and averaged 12 points and eight rebounds, far shy of his season averages.
"The whole road trip, I didn't play good," Randolph says. "Teams are focusing on me. They are running two or three guys at me every time I get the ball, and I ain't used to that. I am getting my shots, but I have to hurry or take a quick shot or a bad shot. With both me and Rasheed on the court, they have to stay out on him, too."
Randolph stops short of saying Wallace shouldn't be traded.
"Rasheed is a big-time player," Randolph says. "I like playing with him. But we aren't playing well. I don't know ... maybe it is time to do something."
Notes
The inevitable move that returns Derek Anderson to the starting lineup means either Stoudamire or McInnis goes to the bench. McInnis, the more likely suspect, says it wouldn't bother him. "Damon and I feel the same way," McInnis says. "If (Anderson) is the best guy for the position, so be it. I will just play when I get in, starter or not." ... McInnis says he is surprised that Portland, an NBA-worst 2-15 on the road, can't get the job done late in close games. "It puzzles me we can't win games or follow instructions sometimes late in games, with all the veterans we have on the floor," he says.
Nash says he spoke with the agent for Arvydas Sabonis, Herb Rudoy, when the Blazers were in Chicago last weekend, but the chances the 7-3 Lithuanian would return to Portland this season are slim. "We haven't given up on the season yet, but if we are a nonplayoff team, it is less likely he would come back," Nash says. "That would be an exercise in futility." Sabonis, 39, is playing for Zalgiris Kaunas, his club team in Lithuania.
Wallace said in an interview with the NBA's "Shootaround" show last weekend that his comments about Commissioner David Stern and the league were taken out of context. "I was not attacking David Stern," Wallace said. "It wasn't no personal feelings about ... him. When I did the interview ... it just came out. If I would have known it was going to get this heavy ... and blow up out of proportion like the majority of people did, no, I wouldn't (have said) it."
madape is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-16-2004, 12:00 PM   #202
uberfan
Golden Member

uberfan has a spectacular aura aboutuberfan has a spectacular aura about
Default RE:Rasheed Wallace

Quote:
Originally posted by: Murphy3
Ouch, do you really think Portland would want Najera's, TAW's, Jamison's, and Fortson's contracts?
That would be a huge hit for Portland to take.
If I were the Mavs and were really trying to do this deal I would not get greedy. If TAW was moved as part of the deal then that would be enough. Najera and Fortson are easily tradeable pieces, not centerpieces, in other deals in the future.
uberfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2004, 12:06 PM   #203
OutletPass
Diamond Member

OutletPass is just really niceOutletPass is just really niceOutletPass is just really niceOutletPass is just really niceOutletPass is just really niceOutletPass is just really nice

The one thing that REALLY seems to mitigate against a trade for Rasheed is that it's so damn public....

Think about it....the big trades that we've pulled surprised almost everyone...and weren't talked about incessantly for weeks...

Just give me a 5, please.
Old 01-16-2004, 12:14 PM   #204
V
Golden Member

V has a spectacular aura aboutV has a spectacular aura about

Portland radio 750 KXL reports that Rasheed Wallace will be traded to Dallas today and that they will notify listeners the second it happens.

tic toc... tic toc

EDIT: spelling

"If there's no more questions, I've got a beer that needs consuming."
-- Don Nelson
V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2004, 12:18 PM   #205
kg_veteran
Old School Balla

kg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally posted by: V
Portland radio 750 KXL reports that Rasheed Wallace will be traded to Dallas today and that they would notify listeners the second it happens.

tic toc... tic toc

EDIT: spelling
Are you listening? Please keep us posted.

Old 01-16-2004, 12:19 PM   #206
uberfan
Golden Member

Quote:
Originally posted by: OutletPass
The one thing that REALLY seems to mitigate against a trade for Rasheed is that it's so damn public....

Think about it....the big trades that we've pulled surprised almost everyone...and weren't talked about incessantly for weeks...

Just give me a 5, please.

Let's just keep what we have and find away to add someone like Tyronne Hill.
Old 01-16-2004, 12:20 PM   #207
uberfan
Golden Member

Quote:
Originally posted by: cdeleon
Doesn't Davis have a player option for next season? I'm not exactly sure but I remember reading somewhere that he is not a free agent after this season. What about doing the trade for Wallace and then trading Walker for a big man. Let's say Big Z, Ratliffe and Terry, or A. Davis. What do you guys think?
You might have better luck if Walker went for Wallace and then Jamison to Cavs for Z.
Old 01-16-2004, 12:22 PM   #208
V
Golden Member

Yes... here you go ... it's news, weather, traffic

Portland Radio KXL 750

-- Don Nelson
Old 01-16-2004, 12:22 PM   #209
kg_veteran
Old School Balla

kg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
True.

Still, there's a first time for everything...
Old 01-16-2004, 12:26 PM   #210
OutletPass
Diamond Member

OutletPass is just really niceOutletPass is just really niceOutletPass is just really niceOutletPass is just really niceOutletPass is just really niceOutletPass is just really nice

Portland radio 750 KXL reports that Rasheed Wallace will be traded to Dallas today and that they would notify listeners the second it happens.

-- And, in Dallas, for the last hour and a half, Norm hasn't said one word about the Mavs....it's the Rangers, Pete Rose and the football playoffs.

Old 01-16-2004, 12:28 PM   #211
OutletPass
Diamond Member

My bad...he's going to talk about them in the next segment....about how Las Vegas betting lines are writing off their chances.
Old 01-16-2004, 12:30 PM   #212
kg_veteran
Old School Balla

It's Bill O'Reilly on the Portland channel. I'm guessing they do periodic sports updates?
Old 01-16-2004, 12:32 PM   #213
madape
Diamond Member

madape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to behold

As exciting as trades are, I'm always am scared that my favorite players will be shipped off.
I remember how I felt when the first reports from SportsTalk came on the Wizards trade included...gulp.. Shawn Bradley. Thank goodness that was only a mistaken in rerporting.

As for this trade, who knows. I'm pretty damn sure that neither Nash or Dirk will be involved.
I will be extremely pissed if Shawn is gone.
I will be fairly upset if Finley or Walker is gone.
I would be insanely happy if Jamison stays.

Other than that, I don't care.

I'd actually be happy if Fortson or TAW was included. The rest of the team, could fall off a bridge and die if it would bring us a player of Wallace's ability. Ship off Najera. Ship off Delk. Ship off Josh Howard if you have to.

But don't touch Dirk, Nash, Bradley, Finley, or Walker.. and only trade away Jamison if you have to.
Old 01-16-2004, 12:34 PM   #214
V
Golden Member

Honestly I would be shocked if anything happens today... especially with all the drama & speculation about an iminent deal.

One thing to consider though... because the Mavs have not quashed this rumor you almost expect a letdown (among Mavs fans and players) if a deal is not done.

Of course "no deal" could have the opposite effect on the players. Maybe surviving a trade scare will galvanize this team further...

-- Don Nelson
Old 01-16-2004, 12:37 PM   #215
V
Golden Member

Quote:
Originally posted by: kg_veteran
It's Bill O'Reilly on the Portland channel. I'm guessing they do periodic sports updates?
Yes, periodic unfortunately... KXL does the Blazers games.

-- Don Nelson
Old 01-16-2004, 12:53 PM   #216
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

Male30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond repute

I wish this guy would stop talking about how strange and troubled Michael Jackson is as opposed to sports talk!!!
Old 01-16-2004, 01:17 PM   #217
V
Golden Member

Quote:
Quote:
True.

Still, there's a first time for everything...
Wild card predictions... Wallace goes to:

1. Chicago for Crawford, Robinson, pick and cap filler.
2. Miami for Jones, Butler
3. Milwaukee for Kukoc, Thomas, Gadzuric and pick
4. NJ for Martin, Kittles, pick.

-- Don Nelson
Old 01-16-2004, 01:32 PM   #218
uberfan
Golden Member

Quote:

If I were Portland, 3 & 4 look mighty interesting. I guess they might have a problem with Zach and Martin finding their best positions.

#3 I think gives them an expiring contract in Kukoc, and solid SF to play next to Zach, and an up and coming serviceable center, and a pick. Are the Bucks trying to clear salary this year?
Old 01-16-2004, 01:36 PM   #219
Dirkenstien
Diamond Member

Dirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant future

would yall throw in our second round pick for next year if Portland agreed to throw Davis into the deal?

''Nowitzki'' is a German word that, translated, means, ''Good Lord, doesn't this guy ever miss?''

-Miami paper on Dirk Nowitzki
Dirkenstien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2004, 01:40 PM   #220
OutletPass
Diamond Member

Absolutely, Dirkerstein...no question in my mind....but TAW has to go.
Old 01-16-2004, 01:40 PM   #221
V
Golden Member

Quote:
Originally posted by: uberfan
Quote:

If I were Portland, 3 & 4 look mighty interesting. I guess they might have a problem with Zach and Martin finding their best positions.

#3 I think gives them an expiring contract in Kukoc, and solid SF to play next to Zach, and an up and coming serviceable center, and a pick. Are the Bucks trying to clear salary this year?
I haven't heard that the Bucks are trying to clear cap space but they are in playoff position. Adding Wallace to the mix could put them firmly in the hunt...

I think Martin would play SF in the West so he could play alongside Randolph...

-- Don Nelson
Old 01-16-2004, 01:40 PM   #222
mavs413
Golden Member

mavs413 is a jewel in the roughmavs413 is a jewel in the roughmavs413 is a jewel in the roughmavs413 is a jewel in the roughmavs413 is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally posted by: Dirkenstien
would yall throw in our second round pick for next year if Portland agreed to throw Davis into the deal?
Yes, but it would not happen.
Do we still have 2 second rounders next year?
mavs413 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2004, 02:53 PM   #223
V
Golden Member

Wallace trade only solution for Blazers

01/16/04

P ause. Breathe deeply. And consider the possibility that maybe all of this pain was necessary.

The Trail Blazers' 16-21 start.

The sinking Rose Garden attendance.

Even Portland's lifeless 105-96 loss on Thursday, at home, to last-place Phoenix.

All of it needed in order to get change.

Here's hoping the sad combination of events is finally going to make Blazers owner Paul Allen pick up the phone and say the three simple words that can save his franchise.

Pull the trigger.

If he hasn't already, Allen needs to call his general manager John Nash and say those three words.

A trade of Rasheed Wallace to Dallas in exchange for Antawn Jamison and $7-million-a-season Tariq Abdul-Wahad. That's the latest rumor circulating outside the secret meetings at One Center Court.

Allen left the Rose Garden, acknowledging that he and a host of front-office players spent a good part of the third quarter tucked away in a back room talking trade.

"Or not to trade," said Allen.

Pull the trigger, boss.

A ghost of a crowd, around 9,000, witnessed the latest Blazers' loss. Many of those left at the end of the third quarter, so by the time Suns forward Amare Stoudemire made a fourth-quarter basket and put a finger over his lips in a "hush" motion, it really wasn't needed.

The place was already Portland Public Library North.

This is the House that 'Sheed built, of course.

The empty seats. The boos in the air. The excuses, even after giving home fans about 40 cents on their entertainment dollar.

Yes, that was Wallace, somewhere near his favorite loading dock, declining to answer a legitimate question about whether he cares if he's a Trail Blazer or Maverick by sundown today.

You can't quote a shrug, can you?

Pull the trigger.

Those are the words Allen needs to say if anyone is going to move forward. Maybe he said them in that private meeting, while his team was falling all over itself on the court. Maybe he needs to see more, but really, does anyone need more of this?

Allen needs to start acting like The Boss.

Steinbrenner, not Springsteen.

Nash says Allen has veto power over any and all trades. Speculation is that Allen has been the party that has held up some of the deals for Wallace. Today, if we're going to get anywhere fast, that needs to change.

Of course, ownership still might believe this team can pull itself out of this tailspin. And also, it could believe that a better offer for Wallace will come closer to the Feb. 19 trade deadline.

T hat's fools gold, really.

The Blazers are playing as if they all realize this roster is going to get a makeover. And, if Portland is going to make the playoffs, waiting until the eve of the deadline when the postseason ditch is too big to climb out of, probably isn't the way to do it.

Allen doesn't have that kind of time.

Pull the trigger.

Jamison would be spectacular playing alongside Zach Randolph. He's a warrior. And a character guy. If this is really the trade on the table, taking Abdul-Wahad and his cumbersome four-year, $28 million contract is probably what's causing the Blazers to think twice.

You'd have to be crazy to take on that kind of contract when you're cutting salary, right?

Sorry. Slap me. Throw me in a room with rubber walls. But pull the trigger.

Maybe all of this pain was necessary. This feels like a rock-bottom moment for the franchise. The fans who chose to stay at home or spend their money on a movie and a bucket of popcorn must have seen it coming.

There is only one way out of this mess.

-- Don Nelson
Old 01-16-2004, 02:57 PM   #224
kg_veteran
Old School Balla

I've thrown this random thought out to people via PM, but I'll throw it out here as well:

If you had proposed a fantasy trade this summer where the Mavs sent Van Exel and parts to the Blazers for Rasheed Wallace, the consensus would have been -- GREAT trade.

That's essentially what this trade does. So let's look at it in the proper frame of reference, and it removes all doubt as to what we should do.

Old 01-16-2004, 03:04 PM   #225
grndmstr_c
Diamond Member

grndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond repute

I agree KG. Can't lie, though. The more the rumors fly and the more time passes the colder my feet get. I think madape said it best earlier. I'll be really happy if AJ's still on the team after the trade deadline. Not to say that I'm against the trade. I think it probably would make us a better team. I just know that my mood will be good if it doesn't happen.
Old 01-16-2004, 03:04 PM   #226
dirno2000
Diamond Member

dirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I've thrown this random thought out to people via PM, but I'll throw it out here as well:

If you had proposed a fantasy trade this summer where the Mavs sent Van Exel and parts to the Blazers for Rasheed Wallace, the consensus would have been -- GREAT trade.

That's essentially what this trade does. So let's look at it in the proper frame of reference, and it removes all doubt as to what we should do.
I don't know that this is the proper reference. IMO the question would be would you rather trade Nick for Wallace or Jamison and Fortson (I guess you could throw Jiri in also). At that point it's not so clear cut.

Talent wise it's clear cut, but Rasheed really is an asshole. That doesn't bother me if he brings it on the court, however, I think it will bother a pretty good % of Mavs fans eventually. Unlike Nick, I don't see any signs of maturity as he ages.

Old 01-16-2004, 03:09 PM   #227
kg_veteran
Old School Balla

dirno - I still think it's clear cut. Welsch is looking to be a nice young player, but there's no room for him here unless he can play backup point. From what I can tell, he's a SG/SF. Fortson's a decent backup, but he's just not gonna be used much here. So really, it's Jamison vs. Wallace. No-brainer there, IMO.

Having said that, I will agree with grandmstr. If Jamison is still here on 2.20.04, I'm not going to be unhappy. I like the guy and what he does for the team.

Old 01-16-2004, 03:14 PM   #228
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

we traded

Nick Van Exel
Raef LaFrentz
Avery Johnson
Evan Eschmeyer (IL)
Popeye Jones (IL)
Tony Rigadeau (IL)

for
Antawn Jamison
Antoine Walker
Danny fortson
Tony Delk

If we could trade Delk, TAW and Jamison for Wallace

we would trade

Nick Van Exel
Raef LaFrentz
Avery Johnson
Evan Eschmeyer (IL)
Popeye Jones (IL)
Tony Rigadeau (IL)
TAW (IL)

for
Antoine Walker
Rasheed Wallace
Danny fortson

.....hmmm...its a lot of players but its definitely a talent upgrade since Eschmeyer, Jones, Rigaeau and TAW were IL fodder

EricaLubarsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2004, 03:19 PM   #229
dirno2000
Diamond Member

dirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
dirno - I still think it's clear cut. Welsch is looking to be a nice young player, but there's no room for him here unless he can play backup point. From what I can tell, he's a SG/SF. Fortson's a decent backup, but he's just not gonna be used much here. So really, it's Jamison vs. Wallace. No-brainer there, IMO.

Having said that, I will agree with grandmstr. If Jamison is still here on 2.20.04, I'm not going to be unhappy. I like the guy and what he does for the team.

It's not clear-cut in my mind. Rasheed is clearly a better defender and a more conventional post player. He's also a walking time bomb coming to a team that's already battling chemistry issues.

So lets look at in terms of risk/reward:

Risk: This thing totally blows up and everybody hates Rasheed. Then he leaves and we get nothing.

Reward: I'm still grappling with this. Best-case scenario is that Rasheed is the final piece the championship puzzle? If you think so then it's worth the risk. If not then why bother. I’m tired of taking incremental steps because it’s having a destabilizing effect.

Right I'm leaning towards him not being the final piece. Do you think he is?

Old 01-16-2004, 03:22 PM   #230
Rhylan
Minister of Soul

Rhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond repute

To continue Erica's line of thinking (for fun)

If we could trade Delk, TAW and Jamison for Wallace

we would trade

Christian Laettner
Courtney Alexander
Etan Thomas
Erick Strickland
Sean Rooks
Donnell Harvey
draft rights to Pete Mickeal (out of the league)
Evan Eschmeyer (IL)
Popeye Jones (IL)
Tony Rigadeau (out of the league)
Tim Hardaway (Retired)
Loy Vaught (Retired)
2001, 2002, 2004 First round picks (#23, #25, #21 if the season ended today)

for
Antoine Walker
Rasheed Wallace
Danny Fortson
Rhylan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2004, 03:27 PM   #231
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

risk: Dirno had it right but we only lose Jamison (the "only" is fairly big but Jamison was cheap) and we still get to clear TAW off the payroll

reward: Wallace has the talent to be one of the top 6 power forwards in the game. We go to McAllens and "biggie size it"
Sean "The dominator" Bradley 7'6"
Rasheed "temper tantrum" Wallace 6'11"
Dirk "the tall SF" Nowitzki 7'0"
Antoine "passing and boarding's all I do" Walker 6'9"/ Michael "Peja S." Finley 6'8"
Stevie "dimes" Nash 6'3"
Old 01-16-2004, 03:44 PM   #232
V
Golden Member

BREAKING NEWS:

Portland radio 910 reports the Blazers abruptly called off practice today... no details provided

-- Don Nelson
Old 01-16-2004, 03:47 PM   #233
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

Quote:
BREAKING NEWS:

Portland radio 910 reports the Blazers abruptly called off practice today... no details provided
did a Blazer kill someone in a DUI car crash or is it Blazer-player garage sale time?

Cheeks could be awaiting his firing. He's starting his unemployment a day early after a miserable showing against the incredibly average Suns squad last night.
Old 01-16-2004, 03:52 PM   #234
Dirkenstien
Diamond Member

Dirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant future

Quote:
BREAKING NEWS:

keep us updated V

''Nowitzki'' is a German word that, translated, means, ''Good Lord, doesn't this guy ever miss?''

Old 01-16-2004, 03:55 PM   #235
kg_veteran
Old School Balla

Quote:
It's not clear-cut in my mind. Rasheed is clearly a better defender and a more conventional post player. He's also a walking time bomb coming to a team that's already battling chemistry issues.
The great thing about Mr. Time Bomb is that you get a sort of trial run with him between now and the offseason. If you're not happy with him, let him walk. Yeah, I know, you gave up Jamison, but Howard is the future at small forward, and a team based around the Big Three, Walker, Howard, and role players (which can hopefully be acquired in the offseason) is still a very good team. And that's your WORST case scenario.

Quote:
So lets look at in terms of risk/reward:

Risk: This thing totally blows up and everybody hates Rasheed. Then he leaves and we get nothing.
Worst case scenario: You dump two bad contracts, move Howard into the starting small forward spot and sign a center in the offseason along the lines of Davis, Tag, etc. That's still a damn good team.

Quote:
Reward: I'm still grappling with this. Best-case scenario is that Rasheed is the final piece the championship puzzle? If you think so then it's worth the risk. If not then why bother. I’m tired of taking incremental steps because it’s having a destabilizing effect.

Right I'm leaning towards him not being the final piece. Do you think he is?
I think he definitely could be, and here's why:

To win a title, you have to be able to score, rebound, and defend. The Mavericks have always been able to score, and now they are able to rebound. Removing Jamison and adding Wallace doesn't substantially change either scoring or rebounding. Where it makes a big difference is on defense.

Every time we play an "elite" team, we have to come up with schemes to deal with their elite big men. Duncan, Webber, Garnett. Wallace can cover each of those guys 1 on 1. He's not going to STOP any of them; nobody in the league does that. But Rasheed can guard them without having to resort to double and triple teams the entire game. That makes a huge difference for your defense. Now you have Rasheed playing the primary post defense, Dirk and Walker helping and swallowing up the defensive boards. That's a lot better than having Dirk or Walker playing the primary post defense and trying to figure out who to stick Jamison on so that you can keep him in the game offensively.

On offense, tell me what any elite team in the league is going to do against this:

Wallace
Dirk
Walker

Shaq can't guard any of those guys.

Duncan can't hide on any of those guys. Walker will go around him, Rasheed and Dirk will pull him outside and feed their teammates.

The same is true of Garnett.

Webber? Ha. He can't guard any of them either.

In short, I think it not only makes the team unguardable down the stretch; I think it makes them capable of getting key stops.

Old 01-16-2004, 04:02 PM   #236
madape
Diamond Member

Quote:
BREAKING NEWS:

Dude... it's going down right now!!!
Old 01-16-2004, 04:06 PM   #237
V
Golden Member

Quote:
Originally posted by: madape
Quote:
BREAKING NEWS:

Easy does it, Ape... official word from Cheeks is that his team needs a rest...

This is the first practice Cheeks has ever cancelled.

-- Don Nelson
Old 01-16-2004, 04:10 PM   #238
kg_veteran
Old School Balla

Quote:
Originally posted by: madape
Quote:
BREAKING NEWS:

My sports pants are going crazy!!!
Old 01-16-2004, 04:12 PM   #239
MavKikiNYC
Diamond Member

MavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to behold

Well thought-through, KG.

But assuming you're 100% correct with the best-case scenario for everyone of those opponents, you still have to balance that against Wallace not blowing up at any: coaches, teammates, referees in key games.

I would not be willing to assume that risk.
MavKikiNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2004, 04:14 PM   #240
Dirkenstien
Diamond Member

Sheed
Dirk
Howard
Fin
Best

That would be a damn good defensive lineup