Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 02-16-2006, 01:02 AM   #201
Scoobay
Golden Member

Scoobay has a brilliant futureScoobay has a brilliant futureScoobay has a brilliant futureScoobay has a brilliant futureScoobay has a brilliant futureScoobay has a brilliant futureScoobay has a brilliant futureScoobay has a brilliant futureScoobay has a brilliant futureScoobay has a brilliant futureScoobay has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drbio
Just going off of memory here, but I think he was boxing out.
Actually, just saw the replay on nba.com and he had Jamison on his hip but Damp did have nice inside position. Just a thought that maybe one of these times Jet can lay it up and have Damp go get it for the slam. Same thing that Kobe/Shaq have done so many times...

As it is though again, clutch shot by Jet...
Scoobay is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-16-2006, 09:51 AM   #202
mary
Troll Hunter

mary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond repute

From Arenas after the game:

Quote:
It was kind of frustrating driving in and getting hit, and you don't hear any whistle. You're fighting in an uphill battle especially playing a team that could possibly win a championship, in their home place before the All Star break so you're not going to get those easy calls you usually get everywhere else.

It's just hard beating a team like that on the road. If we were at home I'd probably be at the free throw line 25 times. It's just one of those games.
I only saw the last couple of minutes this morning. Was the officiating on Arenas really that bad?

"I don't know what went wrong," said guard Thabo Sefolosha. "It's hard to talk about it."
mary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2006, 09:56 AM   #203
Drbio
Banned

Drbio is an unknown quantity at this point

The officiating was pretty bad but it was consistently bad. The refs were bad on both ends and I really didn't see an advantage to either side, although I do understand how Arenas might feel this way. What he should be more concerned with though is the shut down defense we played on him.
Drbio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2006, 09:57 AM   #204
greensborohill

greensborohill is a jewel in the roughgreensborohill is a jewel in the roughgreensborohill is a jewel in the roughgreensborohill is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by mary

I only saw the last couple of minutes this morning. Was the officiating on Arenas really that bad?

No, it's just that some people like to cry when they have preconceived notion about the team they are playing against being soft and then finding out otherwise.

Stop being a wuss Gilbert and take your whooping like a man.

Kobe 24 on 5-22 and 4 TO
Wade 16 on 6-13 and 4 TO
Arenas 12 on 4-22 and 6 TO
Old 02-16-2006, 09:58 AM   #205
Bookit
Diamond Member

Bookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud of

Quote:

Nope, the guy is just crying. He is just likely embarrassed by his awful game. Having said that, the Mavs were absolutely butchered all night long and never complained except once. Jet's arm was slapped so hard on a drive to the hoop that the popping noise was heard throughout the arena! No call.

I predict the Mavs win by double figures when we play them up there.
Bookit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2006, 10:18 AM   #206
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

I've only seen these type of comments from players who continually fail in the nba. They aren't willing to internalize improvement that needs to be made. Stevie Franchise and now Arenas.

There were some bad calls and as usual they were pretty even. The mavs DID make a concerted effort to keep him off the ft line however, guess it worked and hurt his 'ittle feelings a bit.
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
dude1394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2006, 10:44 AM   #207
MFFL
Guru

MFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drbio
The officiating was pretty bad but it was consistently bad. The refs were bad on both ends and I really didn't see an advantage to either side, although I do understand how Arenas might feel this way. What he should be more concerned with though is the shut down defense we played on him.
Yeah the officals sucked last night. One play Terry was driving across the lane and got hit so hard that I heard the smack over the background noises of the game. Terry lost the ball but I expected a foul. Nah.

Stack got hammered a couple of times too.
MFFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2006, 11:05 AM   #208
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

Arenas was hammered a couple of times... There was one stretch where the refs just let any and everything go. Dirk was hammered on one end...arenas on the other...the mavs went down and did whatever and washington came back and got hammered again with no call. It was WWF for a couple of minutes.
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2006, 11:15 AM   #209
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookit
You sure hate on Howard quite a bit. Why? The guy is a MAJOR contributor both offensively and defensively.
Why?
Why not?

He has great potential. He has the potential to be an all-star but he doesn't seem to have it between the ears entirely too often. I hate seeing wasted abilities. With that, I must say that I'm thrilled with some of the advancements in his game physically, but it's more than time for him to start to make mental advancements in his game. It's more than time for him to stop making the wrong pass time after time after time. It's more than time for him to stop making boneheaded plays like hanging on the rim at the end of the game acting like an ass.

It's all about seeing potential but knowing that a player will not reach that potential unless he gets things straightened out upstairs.

I've seen great improvements in what he's physically able to do. I'll admit that I sold him short on that aspect. I didn't think that he'd be able to reach All-Star status ever in his career, but I was wrong. But this guy has an opportunity to be even better than a one time All-Star. Until he starts to play an intelligent team game, he'll never reach his potential and he'll cost the Mavs dearly in time of their greatest need.

I'm not hard on him because I don't think that he can help. I'm hard on him because I see what he could easily do. Nothing drives me crazier than the consistent mental mistakes. I can accept physical shortcomings but not consistent mental shortcomings. Let's just say that Howard's ability to hit the runner and ability to hit the mid range jumper have more than elevated expectations for the guy. If he's going to take an increased role in the offense, he has to start using his head a little more.

As for those that mention his age... He's not that young anymore.
Old 02-16-2006, 12:25 PM   #210
kg_veteran
Old School Balla

kg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond repute

Arenas whining about calls is just silly. The refs "let them play," and the Wizards gave as good as they got. Both teams got away with stuff. Deal with it and move on, Gilbert.
Old 02-16-2006, 12:32 PM   #211
Murphy3
Guru

I don't think that he got the short end of the stick consistently throughout the game.. but he did have a pretty good gripe at least once. But, to whine about it after the game was uncalled for. There will always be missed calls. It happens. The officiating had a miserable stretch in the 4th...but, I didn't think they were bad other than that.
Old 02-16-2006, 12:35 PM   #212
kg_veteran
Old School Balla

kg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond repute

If you're referring to the time when Dirk hacked him across the arm in the 4th, I agree. But you're right. He needs to get over it.
Old 02-16-2006, 12:48 PM   #213
Murphy3
Guru

I don't think that Arenas was griping at near a level of Phil Jackson...but yeah, he didn't have much to complain about and therefore has no reason to open his mouth publicly.
Old 02-16-2006, 01:35 PM   #214
V2M
Diamond Member

V2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to behold

I agree with Murph on Josh. I've always been a big fan of him and will always be. He has the potential to be the Pippen to Dirk and help us win multiple champhionships. He's a great rebounder... can create his own shot... improved his ball-handling tremendously... and his defense is continually improving. But his passing is one area where I haven't seen any improvement over the past 3 years. Especially on the fast-breaks, it's so frustrating to see him not pass the ball for an easy dunk/layup for his team-mates.
V2M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2006, 03:21 PM   #215
Murphy3
Guru

I would go as far as to say he's regressed in that area V2M.
Old 02-16-2006, 03:33 PM   #216
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

Thespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond repute

His passing sure hasn't gotten much better since his rookie season, that's for sure. He really is much better off the ball, yet he seems to have the ball in his hands a whole lot.
Thespiralgoeson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2006, 03:58 PM   #217
dirno2000
Diamond Member

dirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond repute

A couple of Hollinger stats show that while Josh's assist ratio (% of his possessions that lead to assists) isn't any higher than it was in his rookie season, it's up quite a bit from last year. Also, his turnover ratio is moving in the right direction.

Assist Ratio
year 1 - 12.8
year 2 - 8.5
year 3 - 11.1

Turnover Ratio
year 1 - 8.9
year 2 - 10.8
year 3 - 7.4

I don't have as a big a problem with the way he plays in the half court offense. He needs to be aggressive.

I do agree that he needs to pass the ball on the fast break and I can't believe that this hasn't been addressed. I'm of the belief that if you can pass in that situation then you should...even if you could finish yourself.

Last edited by dirno2000; 02-16-2006 at 04:00 PM.
dirno2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2006, 04:20 PM   #218
sixeightmkw
Golden Member

sixeightmkw is a glorious beacon of lightsixeightmkw is a glorious beacon of lightsixeightmkw is a glorious beacon of lightsixeightmkw is a glorious beacon of lightsixeightmkw is a glorious beacon of lightsixeightmkw is a glorious beacon of lightsixeightmkw is a glorious beacon of light
Default Fouls

I am so sick of hearing from players about bad officiating. You just have to play the game and keep going.
Gilbert, How about finishing those shots that you thought you got fouled on and then if no call is made, at least you get the 2.
sixeightmkw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2006, 01:55 AM   #219
alby
Guru

alby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond repute

Its one thing to complain when you are not getting your cars, but to allow it to take over your play and hinder the team? I just don't like that sorry.

Contact Me
Twitter: www.twitter.com/alnguyen84
Facebook: www.facebook.com/alnguyen84
alby is offline   Reply With Quote