Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

View Poll Results: Keep him or Don't keep him?
Keep him. 36 24.83%
Don't keep him. 109 75.17%
Voters: 145. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-29-2008, 03:07 PM   #201
Jack.Kerr
Golden Member

Jack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Folterkammer
you didnt get my point Jack Kerr . what i wanted to say is that you judge on things way too early..
I got your point, but I disagree with it and think it's based on a flawed premise and/or a misunderstanding of fans' reactions.
Jack.Kerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-29-2008, 03:17 PM   #202
tsar

tsar is a splendid one to beholdtsar is a splendid one to beholdtsar is a splendid one to beholdtsar is a splendid one to beholdtsar is a splendid one to beholdtsar is a splendid one to beholdtsar is a splendid one to beholdtsar is a splendid one to beholdtsar is a splendid one to beholdtsar is a splendid one to beholdtsar is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
you didnt get my point Jack Kerr . what i wanted to say is that you judge on things way too early..
Last 2 years not enough time for you to judge somebody on?
tsar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008, 03:18 PM   #203
Jack.Kerr
Golden Member

Jack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack.Kerr
Sorry, but....JHo, JET, Stack, Damp? Dumb, dumb, dumb, dumb.

Dumb and dumber. Mavericks' style.

Avery: "It's not my fault, I'm with Stupid!"

Last edited by Jack.Kerr; 02-29-2008 at 03:19 PM.
Old 02-29-2008, 04:22 PM   #204
Dirkenstien
Diamond Member

Dirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant future

I'd leave Terry out of this. He had the sense to look over at Avery not once but twice in those last seconds to see if Avery wanted a timeout.

''Nowitzki'' is a German word that, translated, means, ''Good Lord, doesn't this guy ever miss?''

-Miami paper on Dirk Nowitzki
Dirkenstien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008, 04:38 PM   #205
mavsfan1000
Platinum Member

mavsfan1000 is a jewel in the roughmavsfan1000 is a jewel in the roughmavsfan1000 is a jewel in the roughmavsfan1000 is a jewel in the rough

Avery is a dumbest decision maker for coaches in basketball but he is a great motivator. I don't know if this team would play with the same intensity without Avery.
mavsfan1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008, 04:40 PM   #206
fluid.forty.one

fluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirkenstien
I noticed that also. Kidd kept looking over like he was thinking "Quit nagging and get out of my ear, woman! I've got this under control."
If Avery wastes Kidd's years here by not utilizing his talents, I will never forgive him. Let him run the dang team.
fluid.forty.one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008, 04:53 PM   #207
seelenjaeger
Diamond Member

seelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to all

Let´s get Larry Bird in here for coaching the Mavs and bring an end to the Celtics hopes ...
Old 02-29-2008, 04:58 PM   #208
V2M
Diamond Member

V2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to behold

Kidd and Dirk are a genius tandem. The best way you coach a genius is... you don't! Just facilitate and allow 'em the creative freedom to flourish.
V2M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008, 05:01 PM   #209
mavsfan1000
Platinum Member

mavsfan1000 is a jewel in the roughmavsfan1000 is a jewel in the roughmavsfan1000 is a jewel in the roughmavsfan1000 is a jewel in the rough

I'll take Paul Westphal. Larry Brown though is too much of a disciplinarian so I don't want him.
mavsfan1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008, 05:35 PM   #210
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by V2M
Kidd and Dirk are a genius tandem. The best way you coach a genius is... you don't! Just facilitate and allow 'em the creative freedom to flourish.
This might be the smartest post in the entire thread...

These days being a fan is a competition to see who can be the most upset when
your team loses. That proves you love winning more. That's how it works.
Underdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008, 05:35 PM   #211
bernardos70
Diamond Member

bernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond repute

Larry Brown is too much of a douche bag. He's a tool, I don't care that he won a title, there's no coach I hate more than Larry Brown.
Old 02-29-2008, 05:55 PM   #212
LSMF
Diamond Member

LSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
i havent read all the posts but let me just add this
2 weeks ago more than half of the members of this message board went nuts because of the kidd trade and hated it - wanted devin back.
now all of a sudden kidd is the savior - avery makes a mistake and he is the dumbass..
what if we win that back to back in utah? will avery be the king then?

you should leave the " fire avery discussions" alone until the end of the season because thats the time he will get fired if he gets fired..
I think you should read some more posts...
Old 02-29-2008, 06:10 PM   #213
jleefilled
Platinum Member

jleefilled has a brilliant futurejleefilled has a brilliant futurejleefilled has a brilliant futurejleefilled has a brilliant futurejleefilled has a brilliant futurejleefilled has a brilliant futurejleefilled has a brilliant futurejleefilled has a brilliant futurejleefilled has a brilliant futurejleefilled has a brilliant futurejleefilled has a brilliant future

I'm on the fence as far as whether Avery is a capable enough coach to lead the Mavs to a championship, but I think Cuban has to get rid of Avery at this point. I have a feeling Avery has done the impossible -- he's lost Dirk. For a team to have a chance, I think everyone has to be on the same page, everyone has to believe in each other. If Dirk no longer believes that Avery is going to put the Mavs in the best position to win games, the Mavs need to part ways with Avery. That's my opinion.
jleefilled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008, 09:22 PM   #214
Jack.Kerr
Golden Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirkenstien
I'd leave Terry out of this. He had the sense to look over at Avery not once but twice in those last seconds to see if Avery wanted a timeout.

I think I'll include him.

Last edited by Jack.Kerr; 02-29-2008 at 10:49 PM.
Old 03-01-2008, 02:24 PM   #215
LRB
Guru

LRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to behold

The Mavs need to fire Avery immediately. Make Donnie, Harris, or Westpal the interim coach until a long term coach can be decided. This move almost assures that the Mavs won't win a championship this year, but it's still a better chance than with Avery at the helm. Avery really helped this team like Nellie before him. But also, like Nellie before him, Avery has jumped the proverbial shark and needs to go. Avery has proven in the last 2 playoff series for the Mavs that he chokes as coach against the NBA elite coaches. He's been with the team long enough and had enough colossal post season let downs that this team really isn't listening to him. Thursday's game just confirmed that Avery has learned nothing substantial from his failure and has most likely irreputably damaged any respect the team might still have for him. This team has no deep down confidence in it's coach. Avery needs to go if we're to have any decent change to win with Dirk, and he needs to go now to maximize what chances we do have.

Cuban needs to pull a Trump. Tell Avery he's a loser, and fire his ass.
Old 03-01-2008, 02:29 PM   #216
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack.Kerr

I think I'll include him.

Wow, this picture made me fall in love with Terry all over again...

In the deepest, darkest, most unsportsman part of my soul, I wish JET had decked Bowen...

Old 03-01-2008, 03:05 PM   #217
Jack.Kerr
Golden Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underdog
Wow, this picture made me fall in love with Terry all over again...

In the deepest, darkest, most unsportsman part of my soul, I wish JET had decked Bowen...
Well, on the one hand that might hurt the team. On the other hand, as poorly as he's been playing, it might not.

Either way, JET has a borderline punk reputation in the league already, and he's not talented enough OR niche enough (like Bowen) for that to help him.

I hope that they are able to unload his smurf-ass in the off-season, but until they do, he HAS to learn to play smarter--not run up to Bowen, get T'ed up and suck all the life and momentum out of his team.

Instead, call attention to Bowen's ALLEGED cheap shot by falling to the floor and rolling around until they have to stop the game; then take up his case with Dan Crawford and the officiating crew when the game is stopped. Maybe, then MAYBE, JET would've gotten some consideration on the final play of the game.

I still maintain that the Mavericks' 11th and 12th men should be players like Kevin Willis types, who are tough enough and strong enough and smart enough to deliver some serious hurt off the ball, later in the game, when nobody's looking, and who are also not so valuable as to actually hurt the team if they get suspended, and whose careers are far enough along that they aren't worried about being burdened with a thug reputation. Instead, they have gimps like Eddie Jones, and simps like Juwan Howard.
Old 03-01-2008, 03:13 PM   #218
Underdog

I just want to see Bowen laid-out (and it would be funnier if JET's "smurf ass" did it!)

Old 03-01-2008, 03:33 PM   #219
Dirkadirkastan
Diamond Member

Dirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by mavsfan1000
Avery is a dumbest decision maker for coaches in basketball but he is a great motivator. I don't know if this team would play with the same intensity without Avery.
I wish I knew just how much the team really believes in him.

Last edited by Dirkadirkastan; 03-01-2008 at 03:33 PM.
Dirkadirkastan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2008, 03:36 PM   #220
mkat
Platinum Member

mkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by jleefilled
I'm on the fence as far as whether Avery is a capable enough coach to lead the Mavs to a championship, but I think Cuban has to get rid of Avery at this point. I have a feeling Avery has done the impossible -- he's lost Dirk. For a team to have a chance, I think everyone has to be on the same page, everyone has to believe in each other. If Dirk no longer believes that Avery is going to put the Mavs in the best position to win games, the Mavs need to part ways with Avery. That's my opinion.
lost dirk? he's averaging like 30pts a game in the past week or two.
Old 03-01-2008, 03:59 PM   #221
LRB
Guru

LRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkat
And how many of those points came in the final 30 seconds of Thursday night's game? Dirk is engergized by Kidd's addition, and then Avery boneheadly pulls Kidd with the game on the line in the closing minute Thursday. I'd be highly surprised if Dirk wasn't thinking the German equivalent of dumbass when he looked over at Avery. Avery all but through Dirk under the bus for Avery's past two times he got his pants coached off of him in the playoffs. Coaches don't win titles, players do. The most a coach can do is put a player in a good position to win. Avery has screwed the pooch the last two post seasons in the Mavs ending playoff series in doing this. Thursday just showed Avery is all set to go three for three.
Old 03-01-2008, 04:10 PM   #222
LRB
Guru

If Avery goes, and I sure hope he does if he's going to do crap like Thursday, my dream coach would be an NBA HOFer with a basketball IQ just this side of God and an excellent coaching record. Cubes if you're serious about a championship, open you pocketbook and do whatever it takes to convince Larry Bird to jump back into coaching. Bird + Kidd + Dirk = Dynasty.
Old 03-01-2008, 05:08 PM   #223
Jack.Kerr
Golden Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underdog
I just want to see Bowen laid-out (and it would be funnier if JET's "smurf ass" did it!)
Won't happen. Hell, he could barely reach Finley's groin.
Old 03-01-2008, 05:37 PM   #224
jleefilled
Platinum Member

jleefilled has a brilliant futurejleefilled has a brilliant futurejleefilled has a brilliant futurejleefilled has a brilliant futurejleefilled has a brilliant futurejleefilled has a brilliant futurejleefilled has a brilliant futurejleefilled has a brilliant futurejleefilled has a brilliant futurejleefilled has a brilliant futurejleefilled has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkat
LRB pointed out some of the things I was thinking as to why I *think* he may have lost Dirk. Additionally, I would add stuff like the Vescey article claiming Avery wanted to get rid of Dirk -- whether true or not, it probably does bother Dirk that it's being said -- along with the likely influence Holger has on him regarding Avery's coaching. All things considered, I don't think it's farfetched that Avery could have lost Dirk's respect.

But yeah, Dirk looks to be playing fine out there, so I could be wrong. If Avery remains the coach, I hope I am.
jleefilled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2008, 11:00 PM   #225
SeriousSummer
Golden Member

SeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant future

Avery is the anti-Nelson. Nelson was lazy, unprepared, poor motivator buy probably the absolute best innovator and in-game coach ever to coach in the NBA.

Avery is hard-working, prepares meticulously, and is an excellent motivator. He cannot innovate--the only new ideas he has are bad ideas--and is a terrible game coach.

I don't think it's a coincidence that the Mavs made the finals in Avery's first full year--Avery could add his strengths to those Nelson had already built into the team.

Replace Avery, now, with a coach with Nelson's skills--taking advantage of the discipline, preparation and motivation that Avery has now built into the team--but putting a coach in charge with at least some (useful) innovation and that knows how to coach a game, and I think the Mavs have a pretty good chance in the playoffs.

It seems unfair that the Mavs have to get rid of Avery to take advantage of his work, but that's the way I see it.

Last edited by SeriousSummer; 03-01-2008 at 11:01 PM.
SeriousSummer is offline   Reply With Quote