Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Everything Else > Other Sports Talk

Old 05-10-2011, 06:52 PM   #201
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

Male30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond repute

Well, let me just start off by saying that we have been without the AL MVP, AL Rookie of the Year, and most recently, Nellie Boomstick (who has been playing like Nellie Drumstick).

Rhodes and many in this bullpen have been pitching like shit and overall the guys that need to be stepping up (Beltre/Kinsler) are in large slumps.

Along with that you have Ogando missing time for a blister, Harrison coming back to Earth, CJ always getting the unlucky assignment of facing Oakland's ace, etc...

I remember 9-1 pretty well. We are not that team right now. At least Feliz is back. Hamilton is taking batting practice and should be back around the time Nellie is getting back. Hopefully Hunter hits the bullpen around that time too after his latest setback.

We will be better soon but it sure would be nice to see more passion out of this team until those that will ride in on white horses get back.
Old 05-10-2011, 08:22 PM   #202
Mav Addict
Golden Member

Mav Addict has much to be proud ofMav Addict has much to be proud ofMav Addict has much to be proud ofMav Addict has much to be proud ofMav Addict has much to be proud ofMav Addict has much to be proud ofMav Addict has much to be proud ofMav Addict has much to be proud ofMav Addict has much to be proud ofMav Addict has much to be proud ofMav Addict has much to be proud of

Perfect slump synopsis
Old 05-11-2011, 09:01 AM   #203
tsar

tsar is a splendid one to beholdtsar is a splendid one to beholdtsar is a splendid one to beholdtsar is a splendid one to beholdtsar is a splendid one to beholdtsar is a splendid one to beholdtsar is a splendid one to beholdtsar is a splendid one to beholdtsar is a splendid one to beholdtsar is a splendid one to beholdtsar is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Male29Dan View Post
Well, let me just start off by saying that we have been without the AL MVP, AL Rookie of the Year, and most recently, Nellie Boomstick (who has been playing like Nellie Drumstick).

Rhodes and many in this bullpen have been pitching like shit and overall the guys that need to be stepping up (Beltre/Kinsler) are in large slumps.

Along with that you have Ogando missing time for a blister, Harrison coming back to Earth, CJ always getting the unlucky assignment of facing Oakland's ace, etc...

I remember 9-1 pretty well. We are not that team right now. At least Feliz is back. Hamilton is taking batting practice and should be back around the time Nellie is getting back. Hopefully Hunter hits the bullpen around that time too after his latest setback.

We will be better soon but it sure would be nice to see more passion out of this team until those that will ride in on white horses get back.
Good points. It's a long season and much like the NBA season there are going to be ups and downs and loads of over reaction. Although I'm over all impressed with Ranger fans as they are not panicking at all.
Old 05-11-2011, 11:20 AM   #204
alexamenos
Diamond Member

alexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond repute

Steinfield, lol
Old 05-11-2011, 04:45 PM   #205
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

Holy hell the Rangers can't catch a freaking break.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com
jthig32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 05:18 PM   #206
DirkFTW
Diamond Member

DirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond repute

What?? I didn't realize that baseball games could be voided because of rain! I figured they would just pick up where they left off!

Is this ghost ball??
DirkFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 06:00 PM   #207
mavspwnage
Golden Member

mavspwnage has a brilliant futuremavspwnage has a brilliant futuremavspwnage has a brilliant futuremavspwnage has a brilliant futuremavspwnage has a brilliant futuremavspwnage has a brilliant futuremavspwnage has a brilliant futuremavspwnage has a brilliant futuremavspwnage has a brilliant futuremavspwnage has a brilliant futuremavspwnage has a brilliant future

amazing...just amazing. Don't both teams have the day off tomorrow? And it's only 6pm right now. Why can't they just wait longer to try to get ONE more inning in? Rangers got totally screwed.

Last edited by mavspwnage; 05-11-2011 at 06:00 PM.
mavspwnage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 02:09 PM   #208
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

This is what Leonys Martin said after his first game in Frisco:

“You Americans, you do not challenge me,”

Of course, I got this from Scott Lucas via Newberg Report. He had 2 doubles and a single in the game.

Last edited by Murphy3; 05-13-2011 at 02:10 PM.
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 11:26 AM   #209
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

Male30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond repute

Went to yesterday's game with the entire family (birthday gift from my wife) and it was a blast. Got to see my boy Chris Davis come through like the stud I know he can become.

Hell, he could have had 3 HRs too for those of you not watching on TV. Two others went to the warning track. Nice to see him make contact on every AB as well and avoid the Ks that have plagued him so much. Hopefully when Cruz/Hamilton are both back he somehow manages to stay up, though I definitely doubt it.

Rough outing by CJ but the bullpen picked up the slack (did I just type that?). A nice game for Kinsler too - and Young missed 3 doubles that were hit right at people. Great win, great game, great time. Hell, if the Rangers win a series every time I go to a game I should go more often...
Old 05-17-2011, 07:54 AM   #210
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

the cobra was awesome last night... he was absolutely dominant
Old 05-17-2011, 08:41 AM   #211
alexamenos
Diamond Member

alexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond repute

he was killing, a few good outings from Lewis in a row....
Old 05-22-2011, 03:41 PM   #212
alexamenos
Diamond Member

matt h with 8 1/3, 5 hit, no runs pitching.

really good starting pitching of late, Cruz and Hamilton coming back, and they're in first place. All things considered I'll take the 24-23 record right now.

Last edited by alexamenos; 05-22-2011 at 03:41 PM.
alexamenos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 08:42 PM   #213
OSU_MAV

OSU_MAV is a jewel in the roughOSU_MAV is a jewel in the roughOSU_MAV is a jewel in the roughOSU_MAV is a jewel in the roughOSU_MAV is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexamenos View Post
matt h with 8 1/3, 5 hit, no runs pitching.

really good starting pitching of late, Cruz and Hamilton coming back, and they're in first place. All things considered I'll take the 24-23 record right now.
Yep, I feel the same way. Cruz and Hamilton should be back tomorrow. The Angels and A's have to be upset that with both of those guys out they still couldn't over take the Rangers. Now it's time to start making a gap between 1st and 2nd.
Old 05-24-2011, 12:46 AM   #214
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

Um, welcome back Superman and Boomstick... Welcome back indeed!
Old 05-24-2011, 01:25 AM   #215
roadrunner
Golden Member

roadrunner is a splendid one to beholdroadrunner is a splendid one to beholdroadrunner is a splendid one to beholdroadrunner is a splendid one to beholdroadrunner is a splendid one to beholdroadrunner is a splendid one to beholdroadrunner is a splendid one to beholdroadrunner is a splendid one to beholdroadrunner is a splendid one to beholdroadrunner is a splendid one to beholdroadrunner is a splendid one to behold

Alexi Ogando gives them another shutout win...he is pitching like the ace of the staff. Great to see Josh and Cruz back in the lineup. I expect them to start extending their AL West lead and please stay healthy!
We ran like a simple play, and usually the ball doesn’t come get me until later. So I just trotted through the play and I looked to the ball, and it was already right there in my face. … He sees the floor so well and sometimes he throws the ball and we don’t see it. He’s liable to really throw anything.” Dirk

Kidd to Dirk is the present day Stockton to Malone.

roadrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 09:58 AM   #216
alexamenos
Diamond Member

I sent a buddy of a mine a sardonic text with five minutes to go in the mavs game that read 'Ogando with the shutout, Cruz and Hamilton with HRs...a pretty good night for our local pro sports teams!'
Old 05-25-2011, 02:45 PM   #217
muzak

muzak is a glorious beacon of lightmuzak is a glorious beacon of lightmuzak is a glorious beacon of lightmuzak is a glorious beacon of lightmuzak is a glorious beacon of lightmuzak is a glorious beacon of lightmuzak is a glorious beacon of light

I got the pleasure of watching Ogando throw that shut-out from 7 rows behind home plate. Being that close, you really get to see how hard this guy throws, and consistently. Is it too early to say he's our ace? I don't see how he can go back into the bullpen at this point.
muzak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 01:30 PM   #218
mavspwnage
Golden Member

mavspwnage has a brilliant futuremavspwnage has a brilliant futuremavspwnage has a brilliant futuremavspwnage has a brilliant futuremavspwnage has a brilliant futuremavspwnage has a brilliant futuremavspwnage has a brilliant futuremavspwnage has a brilliant futuremavspwnage has a brilliant futuremavspwnage has a brilliant futuremavspwnage has a brilliant future

Rhadigan is out! YES!!!!!!!

http://www.dallasnews.com/sports/tex...-telecasts.ece
Old 05-26-2011, 01:34 PM   #219
Mav Addict
Golden Member

Mav Addict has much to be proud ofMav Addict has much to be proud ofMav Addict has much to be proud ofMav Addict has much to be proud ofMav Addict has much to be proud ofMav Addict has much to be proud ofMav Addict has much to be proud ofMav Addict has much to be proud ofMav Addict has much to be proud ofMav Addict has much to be proud ofMav Addict has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by mavspwnage View Post
Rhadigan is out! YES!!!!!!!
It was only a matter of time...Rhad was terrible
Old 05-26-2011, 03:25 PM   #220
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

He was genuinely terrible and this is great for my ears but it sucks that he couldn't turn it around. He is a good guy from everything I have read (AJM had a good piece up today on this).
Old 06-18-2011, 02:27 AM   #221
nashtymavsfan13
Diamond Member

nashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant future

Josh Hamilton's appearance on the Letterman show:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mwfb8wTxBAs

"He's as valuable as anyone. The most unusual thing is that they lose last year's MVP and still get better. It's unheard of."

"For a team as good as the Mavs, the regular season is just 82 practice games until the real season begins." -G-Man

"We wanted this for Dirk because of his heart, his class, his work ethic, his humility, his sense of humor, his respect for the game, and his respect for people."
nashtymavsfan13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 11:53 PM   #222
mavs777
Diamond Member

mavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant future

Old 07-07-2011, 09:38 PM   #223
alexamenos
Diamond Member

Holland must be bipolar or something.
Old 07-07-2011, 09:58 PM   #224
Rick41
Diamond Member

Rick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond repute

http://twitter.com/#!/benandskin/sta...65227790319616

Quote:
Fan who fell tonight at Rangers game has passed away. Family in our thoughts and prayers.

"Dirk Nowitzki is now a household name in every locker room in this world.
You say it in Brazil, you say Dirk, they know Nowitzki. You say it in China,
they know Nowitzki. Kobe, Michael, DIRK." - Jeff Van Gundy
Rick41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 10:03 PM   #225
mavspwnage
Golden Member

wait what??? Another fan fell? Yesterday was the one year anniversary of the last guy who fell. WTF?
Old 07-08-2011, 12:10 AM   #226
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Flacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond repute

I am still beside myself.

That guy went to the game with his very young son.

And that little boy left without him.

My heart is broken. As a parent, i cannot stand to hear it... it is quite literally too much.
Old 07-08-2011, 12:24 AM   #227
BGMaverick9
Guru

BGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond repute

I'm not a parent, but the first thing I thought of when that guy fell was the kid with a huge glove and just sorta shielding himself.

It's terrible, terrible news.
Old 07-08-2011, 07:03 AM   #228
dalmations202
Diamond Member

dalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond repute

My prayers are with the family.

"A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have". Gerald Ford

"Life's tough, it's even tougher if you're stupid." -John Wayne

There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty:
soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order.
-Capt. Bob "Wolf" Johnson
dalmations202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 08:36 AM   #229
Murphy3
Guru

It's devastating. That poor young kid...
Old 07-08-2011, 09:44 AM   #230
mavspwnage
Golden Member

Another update: the guy was talking to paramedics after he fell. But what killed him was a heart attack on the way to the hospital. This story keeps getting sadder.
Old 07-08-2011, 10:11 AM   #231
muzak

muzak is a glorious beacon of lightmuzak is a glorious beacon of lightmuzak is a glorious beacon of lightmuzak is a glorious beacon of lightmuzak is a glorious beacon of lightmuzak is a glorious beacon of lightmuzak is a glorious beacon of light

Not to belittle what happened last night, it truly is sad, but I heard an interesting stat from Norm this morning that I'd like to bring to JThig's attention. If I remember correctly, he was very anti-Napoli as a catcher before the season started. The collective ERA for the Rangers is 2.7something when Nap catches and 4.something (can't recall the exact numbers at this moment) when Yorvit catches. I thought that was interesting. Coincidence or is Napoli a smarter catcher when it comes to calling pitches?
Old 07-08-2011, 11:02 AM   #232
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by muzak View Post
Not to belittle what happened last night, it truly is sad, but I heard an interesting stat from Norm this morning that I'd like to bring to JThig's attention. If I remember correctly, he was very anti-Napoli as a catcher before the season started. The collective ERA for the Rangers is 2.7something when Nap catches and 4.something (can't recall the exact numbers at this moment) when Yorvit catches. I thought that was interesting. Coincidence or is Napoli a smarter catcher when it comes to calling pitches?
I'm not a big believer in catcher ERA unless it's over a VERY large sample size.

Having said that, Napoli has looked fine to me for the most part. That may or may not mean anything, as I think there's a lot that we can't tell about the position.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com
jthig32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 12:40 PM   #233
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

Man - that story just breaks my heart about the firefighter. So tragic!
Old 07-08-2011, 03:21 PM   #234
muzak

Quote:
Originally Posted by jthig32 View Post
I'm not a big believer in catcher ERA unless it's over a VERY large sample size.

Having said that, Napoli has looked fine to me for the most part. That may or may not mean anything, as I think there's a lot that we can't tell about the position.
It just made me think of you when I heard that stat. Norm seems to think that that sample size is plenty large; although, I even thought to myself, that he only catches once a week and that it was a relatively small sample size. On the other hand, I am a believer in catcher ERA. If you're studying the scouting reports and know when/where to utilize certain pitches on certain batters, that is to the teams advantage. Sure, the pitcher has to hit the spots, but the catcher has to call the spots.
Old 07-10-2011, 11:32 AM   #235
dalmations202
Diamond Member

dalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond repute

And on the 9th he hits a walkoff. Wow Hambone

"A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have". Gerald Ford

"Life's tough, it's even tougher if you're stupid." -John Wayne

There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty:
soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order.
-Capt. Bob "Wolf" Johnson
dalmations202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 11:32 PM   #236
mavspwnage
Golden Member

Back-to-back complete game shutouts for Holland. 8 wins in a row. Here come the Rangers.
Old 07-15-2011, 11:24 AM   #237
mavspwnage
Golden Member

A play from last night:

15% skill, 85% luck? I wouldn't go as far as to call it a fluke. It was a terrific play. But he could try that again 10 times, and I'd bet he'd be unsuccessful for the majority of them. The ball just bounces off random parts of the glove. Even Kinsler had to be surprised that it worked.

Last edited by mavspwnage; 07-15-2011 at 11:24 AM.
mavspwnage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 06:00 PM   #238
LonghornDub

LonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond repute

Here's what I did last night:

Going again tonight. Unfortunately can't go Saturday to see Wilson vs. Felix.

"Your'e a low-mentality drama gay queen!!" -- She_Growls
LonghornDub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 12:30 AM   #239
mavspwnage
Golden Member

Three consecutive shutouts and 4 in the last 6. We rollin.
Old 07-17-2011, 12:37 AM   #240
mavspwnage
Golden Member

Rangers are on fiyah.

Finally gave up a run, but that's all. Got the 10th win in a row! Only 1 run allowed in the last 4 games. And since the A's were able to split the Angels today, we moved up to 3 games ahead. We were 1 up at the break. This has been a successful 2nd half so far for sure.

Tags
adam lind for the win, more left handed than u, official business, throw strikes with me