Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Everything Else > The Lounge

Old 11-02-2010, 01:45 PM   #2441
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Flacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond repute

Zombies?

That sounds dumb. I generally find alll horror movies and horror movie themes/elements dumb.

Is it dumb?
Old 11-02-2010, 02:11 PM   #2442
Big Boy Laroux
Diamond Member

Big Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond repute

it's not a "zombie shoot-em-up" show. Or a horror show. It's essentially post-apocalyptic, and the zombies are just the delivery method of the apocalypse.

But the zombie effects/makeup are very well done. And the show itself is very well done.

Last edited by Big Boy Laroux; 11-02-2010 at 02:12 PM.
Big Boy Laroux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 02:58 PM   #2443
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

DevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond repute

I looooooove horror films. Had the best horror marathon the week up to Halloween, then double featured Halloween and The Thing on day of.

edit: Whoops, forgot this wasn't the movies/dvd section when you guys started talking zombies.

Last edited by DevinHarriswillstart; 11-02-2010 at 05:02 PM.
DevinHarriswillstart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 04:11 PM   #2444
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Flacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Boy Laroux View Post
it's not a "zombie shoot-em-up" show. Or a horror show. It's essentially post-apocalyptic, and the zombies are just the delivery method of the apocalypse.

But the zombie effects/makeup are very well done. And the show itself is very well done.
If it's well written and well acted then I am sure I will get around to at least trying it.

At least it's not another vampire-lust-masturbatory-aid for women show. Vampires are gay.
Old 11-02-2010, 04:19 PM   #2445
Big Boy Laroux
Diamond Member

Big Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond repute

um, if someone is masturbating to the zombies in this, they have problems...

Last edited by Big Boy Laroux; 11-02-2010 at 04:20 PM.
Big Boy Laroux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 04:24 PM   #2446
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute

watched the 1st episode....I'm in. But this thing will not last unless the main characters get a WHOLE lot more interesting. The back drop will only be interesting enough to hold my attention for so long.

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"

Last edited by sike; 11-02-2010 at 04:25 PM.
sike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 04:39 PM   #2447
CadBane
Banned

CadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Watched "the Walking Dead" premiere. LOVED it.
I was underwhelmed. Partly because my expectations were extremely high. It got a ton of good buzz and I loved the comics. However, the Pilot was a letdown. Too slow, some writing issues and a few too many problems with character. It was good, but not great. I'll keep watching though, hopefully it picks up.
CadBane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 04:50 PM   #2448
tcat075
Diamond Member

tcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond repute

Best episode of Chuck this season was last night's.

However, and I hate saying this because this used to be my favorite show, I would not be too sad if they got cancelled right now, provided they were allowed to finish off the show and have a nice conclusion. Obviously, some of its appeal was the quirky ridiculousness of the characters, some of the completely unrealistic parts are wearing on me a little. And, of course, Chuck and Sarah are already together. This whole season just has not been on par, in my opinion, to the last three (excluding that middle chunk of season 3).

So is it pretty much a given fact that once a show gets the main pairing together, the show as a whole goes downhill? The Office has not been nearly as good ever since Pam and Jill finally got together. Its gotten to a point where I don't even watch every episode. I know some shows can get away with it, especially the cable shows that it seems most of the crowd here watches, but that's pretty much the general rule that most TV shows work under (keep the main pairing apart as long as possible, until the fan base is ready to revolt).
tcat075 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 05:19 PM   #2449
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcat075 View Post
So is it pretty much a given fact that once a show gets the main pairing together, the show as a whole goes downhill? The Office has not been nearly as good ever since Pam and Jill finally got together
boy, did I miss that subplot!

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"
Old 11-02-2010, 05:26 PM   #2450
LonghornDub

LonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond repute

I thought the cold open on last week's Office was one of the 3-5 best in the history of the show (with them trying to see what Stanley would notice). Hilarious.

"Your'e a low-mentality drama gay queen!!" -- She_Growls
LonghornDub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 05:51 PM   #2451
Big Boy Laroux
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CadBane View Post
I was underwhelmed. Partly because my expectations were extremely high. It got a ton of good buzz and I loved the comics. However, the Pilot was a letdown. Too slow, some writing issues and a few too many problems with character. It was good, but not great. I'll keep watching though, hopefully it picks up.
To me, the only bad slow part was the opening dialogue between the partners. The rest was intentionally slower, as it should have been. We're slowly finding things out along with the protagonist. It moved slowly, but at no point (aside from that opening dialogue) was I wanting it to speed up.

I did have one problem with the premiere, but i'll post that later when I'm on my pc.
Old 11-02-2010, 06:26 PM   #2452
sike
The Preacha

Quote:
To me, the only bad slow part was the opening dialogue between the partners. The rest was intentionally slower, as it should have been. We're slowly finding things out along with the protagonist. It moved slowly, but at no point (aside from that opening dialogue) was I wanting it to speed up.

I did have one problem with the premiere, but i'll post that later when I'm on my pc.
I like it when a story unfolds slowly...but like I said, those characters better get more interesting bc the setting alone will only take this show through a season or so.

Old 11-02-2010, 07:38 PM   #2453
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

DevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonghornDub View Post
I thought the cold open on last week's Office was one of the 3-5 best in the history of the show (with them trying to see what Stanley would notice). Hilarious.
I thought it was let down by the fact that it used the exact same Lady Gaga costume joke that Community used. Pretty sorry to see two of the same jokes used in a row since the Office comes on right after Community. The Stanley opening was funny though.

Last edited by DevinHarriswillstart; 11-02-2010 at 07:39 PM.
Old 11-02-2010, 10:53 PM   #2454
Big Boy Laroux
Diamond Member

ok, my main complaint with the premiere of "The Walking Dead"

SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS

I really didn't like the scene where they revealed that his wife and kid were alive.

That scene spoiled two things that would have been much better if we had no foreshadowing:

1) the fact that his wife and kid are actually alive - I haven't read the books, but it is my understanding (from another forum) that in them, the reader only finds out they are alive when Rick does. And i personally think it would be better that way. if you need to get the actress some screen time, you should have done so at the beginning of the episode.

2) the fact that Atlanta was actually overrun with zombies and not the safe haven Rick thought it was. I think the "turning the corner" scene would have been even better (it was already great) if we had no idea Atlanta was packed with zombies.
Old 11-04-2010, 12:18 AM   #2455
fluid.forty.one

fluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond repute

haha southpark just made fun of "the decision"
fluid.forty.one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 12:33 AM   #2456
BGMaverick9
Guru

BGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond repute

Forgot to mention it last week but Sunny was totally hilarious, it was like a hungover Vantage Point.
Old 11-04-2010, 08:54 AM   #2457
Rick41
Diamond Member

Rick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluid.forty.one View Post
haha southpark just made fun of "the decision"
They made fun of Lebron's "Rise" commerical.

I couldn't stop laughing. I honestly think the very last Cartman bit at the end of the spoof was a jab at Lebron.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JWbNG31_aZM

"Dirk Nowitzki is now a household name in every locker room in this world.
You say it in Brazil, you say Dirk, they know Nowitzki. You say it in China,
they know Nowitzki. Kobe, Michael, DIRK." - Jeff Van Gundy

Last edited by Rick41; 11-04-2010 at 08:56 AM.
Rick41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 08:58 AM   #2458
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcat075 View Post
Best episode of Chuck this season was last night's.

However, and I hate saying this because this used to be my favorite show, I would not be too sad if they got cancelled right now, provided they were allowed to finish off the show and have a nice conclusion. Obviously, some of its appeal was the quirky ridiculousness of the characters, some of the completely unrealistic parts are wearing on me a little. And, of course, Chuck and Sarah are already together. This whole season just has not been on par, in my opinion, to the last three (excluding that middle chunk of season 3).

So is it pretty much a given fact that once a show gets the main pairing together, the show as a whole goes downhill? The Office has not been nearly as good ever since Pam and Jill finally got together. Its gotten to a point where I don't even watch every episode. I know some shows can get away with it, especially the cable shows that it seems most of the crowd here watches, but that's pretty much the general rule that most TV shows work under (keep the main pairing apart as long as possible, until the fan base is ready to revolt).
Chuck used to be one of my top 1-2 shows. But, I have to agree. It's just not as good for whatever reason. I'm not into it nearly as much. Yeah, it probably has to do with Chuck hooking up finally with Sarah. But, all the angst while they were apart was getting a little annoying as well.
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 09:39 AM   #2459
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

I always felt that Chuck would be better as a half hour show. I never could shake the feeling that an hour was too long. Just my two cents. I watched the first three seasons but haven't caught an episode yet this year.

Old 11-08-2010, 06:30 PM   #2460
sike
The Preacha

Ok, just watched episode 2 of The Walk Dead and it was literally half as good as the first.

This show just doesn't have interesting characters.

Old 11-08-2010, 07:47 PM   #2461
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

I haven't watched the second episode of Walking Dead yet, but the pilot was freaking awesome. And I wouldn't generally be interested in a zombie show. I'm not about horror at all. But what I AM into, a ton, is post-apocalyptic stories. Love those.

My fear, though, is that the rest of the episode might be more about zombie killing and less about the ramifications of the new world, the decisions made to survive, etc. We'll see. But the pilot was one of the best pilots I've ever seen. That scene where he leaves the hospital and the camera slowly pans out was just awesome.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com

Last edited by jthig32; 11-08-2010 at 07:48 PM.
jthig32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 08:41 PM   #2462
sike
The Preacha

Quote:
Originally Posted by jthig32 View Post
the pilot was one of the best pilots I've ever seen. That scene where he leaves the hospital and the camera slowly pans out was just awesome.
tap. dem. brakes.

Old 11-08-2010, 10:06 PM   #2463
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by sike View Post
tap. dem. brakes.
People that watch Mad Men need not comment.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com
Old 11-08-2010, 11:58 PM   #2464
sike
The Preacha

Quote:
People that watch Mad Men need not comment.
Oh, because we're too sophisticated? Now I get your point.

Old 11-09-2010, 03:35 AM   #2465
Big Boy Laroux
Diamond Member

Old 11-09-2010, 09:58 PM   #2466
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

Quote:
Ok, just watched episode 2 of The Walk Dead and it was literally half as good as the first.
I would say this was generous. Second episode was pretty terrible. This episode was very much in the wheel house of people that love zombie/horror flicks. Which doesn't interest me in the slightest.

Sticking with it because of how good the pilot was, but I suspect it's not going to go in the direction I would like.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game

Last edited by jthig32; 11-09-2010 at 10:06 PM.
Old 11-09-2010, 10:45 PM   #2467
sike
The Preacha

Quote:
I would say this was generous. Second episode was pretty terrible. This episode was very much in the wheel house of people that love zombie/horror flicks. Which doesn't interest me in the slightest.

Sticking with it because of how good the pilot was, but I suspect it's not going to go in the direction I would like.
agreeance

Old 11-10-2010, 03:04 AM   #2468
fluid.forty.one

fluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond repute

CONAN
Old 11-10-2010, 10:11 AM   #2469
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

Male30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
CONAN
Absolutely!!! Watched both so far. Love the guy.
Old 11-15-2010, 12:00 PM   #2470
Big Boy Laroux
Diamond Member

Quote:

to me, it was the unbelievably ABYSMAL acting of the newly introduced characters that killed episode 2 for me. But the pilot was so good, i'm sticking with it.

Plan on watching episode 3 today.
Old 11-15-2010, 12:19 PM   #2471
sike
The Preacha

Quote:
to me, it was the unbelievably ABYSMAL acting of the newly introduced characters that killed episode 2 for me. But the pilot was so good, i'm sticking with it.

Should I even waste my time?

Old 11-15-2010, 12:31 PM   #2472
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

Friday Night Lights is awesome...
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 01:39 PM   #2473
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

Quote:

Isn't the acting usually bad in horrors? I've come to accept it as it's own character of the genre.

Old 11-15-2010, 02:26 PM   #2474
sike
The Preacha

Watched ep3...

The Walking Dead just doesn't have interesting characters or actors...blah, this show is not going anywhere.

Old 11-15-2010, 07:38 PM   #2475
Big Boy Laroux
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevinHarriswillstart View Post
Isn't the acting usually bad in horrors? I've come to accept it as it's own character of the genre.
Except it had established itself as not being simply a horror show.

And I'm not talking ham-fisted overacted screams. Just simple dialog between the new characters was painful to watch.
Old 11-16-2010, 02:26 AM   #2476
Big Boy Laroux
Diamond Member

Quote:
Watched ep3...

The Walking Dead just doesn't have interesting characters or actors...blah, this show is not going anywhere.
Just watched it. MUCH better than episode 2 in terms of acting. Less action, but that's ok. Looks like action will pick up next week.
Old 11-16-2010, 03:10 PM   #2477
fluid.forty.one

Gwyneth Paltrow on Glee tonight!
Old 11-16-2010, 05:09 PM   #2478
sike
The Preacha

Quote:
Just watched it. MUCH better than episode 2 in terms of acting.
meh

Old 11-16-2010, 05:09 PM   #2479
sike
The Preacha

Quote:
Gwyneth Paltrow on Glee tonight!
double meh

Old 11-16-2010, 11:13 PM   #2480
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

I thought episode three of Walking Dead was a huge improvement over episode two. I'm pleased.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game

Tags
dary, dvr fail, fluff warning, fluffhouse 92, fluffy envy, got a bit fluffy in here, its getting fluff in here, legen, legendaryfail, shut the fluff up!, tag wasting, wait for it, you married your tv?