Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 06-24-2004, 09:43 PM   #241
Drbio
Banned

Drbio is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE:The Official Draft Day Thread (For those actively watching the draft)

It helped that I had a Mocha Frappachino (sp?) earlier today....
Drbio is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-24-2004, 09:44 PM   #242
MavsFanFinley
Guru

MavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: The Official Draft Day Thread (For those actively watching the draft)

What is Chicago's obsession with pg's?
Old 06-24-2004, 09:45 PM   #243
SaltwaterChaffy
Platinum Member

SaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud of
Default RE:The Official Draft Day Thread (For those actively watching the draft)

Jaime Lloreda or Arthur Johnson could be nice banging power forwards to back up Dirk.

SaltwaterChaffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2004, 09:45 PM   #244
Drbio
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by: MavsFanFinley
Small ball is soooo infectious. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif[/img]
Old 06-24-2004, 09:47 PM   #245
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I wish I was better with Photoshop. I'd love to have a picture with Skiles in the middle of a king sized bed surrounded by Jay Williams, Ben Gordon, and Chris Duhon.
EricaLubarsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2004, 09:48 PM   #246
ocelot_ark
Diamond Member

ocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud of
Default RE: The Official Draft Day Thread (For those actively watching the draft)

Sato seems a bit redundant as does the Iranian giant. I'm guessing we take someone between 6'9" and 7'0" - Matt Freije...if he falls
Old 06-24-2004, 09:49 PM   #247
grndmstr_c
Diamond Member

grndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond repute

Man, I'm really happy with the moves today. The scouting reports on Harris look good, and regardless of what questions there are about Pavel the guy is unquestionably worth the last pick in next year's first round (you know...cause we're going to win the championship next year[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]).

A side benefit to _potentially_ snagging the team's point guard AND center of the future: assuming nothing major follows this pretty much guarantees Daniels the starting SG spot next year, which should help in resigning him.
Old 06-24-2004, 09:52 PM   #248
Drbio
Banned

Mavs to stay pat?

DALLAS -- The Dallas Mavericks turned last season's top reserve into three players they expect to contribute off the bench next season.

And, they insist, that's all there is to Thursday night's trade of Antawn Jamison to Washington for the rights to No. 5 pick Devin Harris, Jerry Stackhouse and Christian Laettner.

Then the Mavs sent a future first-rounder to Utah for 7-foot-5, 245-pound center Pavel Podkolzine, whom the Jazz had taken 21st.

The intrigue remains in whether any or all of these players will wind up playing for the Mavericks. Laettner is going into the final year of his contract, which makes him a commodity, and Podkolzine certainly has the size to possibly replace the void Shaquille O'Neal would leave in Los Angeles.

"Dialogues are ongoing with other teams about potential movement, but we're happy about tonight," Nelson said. "We feel real good about our basketball team."

ESPN.com learned earlier Thursday that the Mavericks had offered the No. 5 pick to the Warriors (in a package for Erick Dampier), to the Cavaliers (in a package for Zydrunas Ilgauskas) and to the Celtics (for Boston's three first-rounders), to no avail.

Nelson praised Harris, a junior from Wisconsin, as the immediate backup and heir apparent to Steve Nash at point guard. Nelson added that Stackhouse already has told the club he's excited about being their sixth man and that Laettner can come off the bench to play forward or center.

Jamison was acquired last summer to be a starter, but agreed to be a reserve after Antoine Walker arrived in training camp. He handled it so well that he was honored as the league's Sixth Man of the year, although he was hoping to become a starter again this season.

The Wizards decided it was better to bring in Jamison than select another young player to help revive the longtime losers. Jamison has a four years and $58 million left on his contract.

"He's going to complement our other young players very well," Washington President of Basketball Operations Ernie Grunfeld said. "We felt like it was important to get someone who will it give it to you every night on a very consistent basis. Sometimes younger players have a tendency to be a bit up-and-down. He's been a very solid, very consistent player throughout his career."

Washington is still waiting for a significant contribution from Kwame Brown, the first overall pick in 2001.

The 6-foot-3, 185-pound Harris started every game at Wisconsin since the start of his freshman year. He broke Michael Finley's single-season scoring record this past season and averaged 14.8 points over his college career.

Although he averaged only 3.07 assists per game over three seasons, Nelson raved about his ability to distribute, saying his playing style and attitude are similar to Nash's.

"A lot of things he does remind us of Stevie," Nelson said. "He has terrific heart, great leadership. Guys are going to love playing with this guy."

Nash is a free agent this summer, as is fellow starting guard Marquis Daniels. Nelson spoke as if both would be re-signed, maintaining that Harris was not taken as an insurance policy in case either goes elsewhere - or if they're dealt for O'Neal.

"Having Marquis Daniels allows us to bring this guy along slowly," Nelson said.

Nelson said a team can never have enough point guards. He said this move was reminiscent of when he was an assistant at Phoenix and the Suns drafted Nash even though they already had Kevin Johnson and Jason Kidd.

Harris never worked out for Dallas, nor even spoke to team officials. Nelson said he didn't have to, joking that he knew enough about him because he's from Milwaukee, where Nelson grew up.

Stackhouse has been a starter his entire nine-year career, averaging 21 points per game. But he played only 26 games last season because of injuries and apparently realizes he can be valuable as a scorer off the bench. He's due $22.5 million over the next three seasons.

"We've talked to Jerry and he's excited and accepting of the sixth man role," Nelson said. "Having that punch is a pretty good asset. He's a guy who can score with the best of them."

Laettner played 53 games for Dallas in the 2000-01 season, then was traded to Washington in the eight-player deal that brought Juwan Howard.

Old 06-24-2004, 09:53 PM   #249
PepperTheMavsFan41

PepperTheMavsFan41 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by: EricaLubarsky
Quote:
I wish I was better with Photoshop. I'd love to have a picture with Skiles in the middle of a king sized bed surrounded by Jay Williams, Ben Gordon, and Chris Duhon.
Dont forget about Kirk Hienrich!!!

Geez!!!
I can kill cause in god I trust.
It's EVOLUTION baby.
PepperTheMavsFan41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2004, 09:53 PM   #250
mavs413
Golden Member

mavs413 is a jewel in the roughmavs413 is a jewel in the roughmavs413 is a jewel in the roughmavs413 is a jewel in the roughmavs413 is a jewel in the rough

Donta Smith
Matt Freije
Bryant Matthews
Romain Sato
Pape Sow
mavs413 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2004, 09:54 PM   #251
FilthyFinMavs
Diamond Member

FilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the rough

Add Jamal Crawford and Hinrich to that mix. Is Jay Williams even still under contract? I could've sworn I remember the Bulls I think buying him out or doing something like that.

1996-2005
FilthyFinMavs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2004, 09:54 PM   #252
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

another double, doc?
Old 06-24-2004, 09:56 PM   #253
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

Quote:
Originally posted by: FilthyFinMavs
Add Jamal Crawford and Hinrich to that mix. Is Jay Williams even still under contract? I could've sworn I remember the Bulls I think buying him out or doing something like that.
Williams is gone but they still drafted him recently.
Old 06-24-2004, 09:56 PM   #254
SaltwaterChaffy
Platinum Member

SaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud of

I really liked what I read in that article Doc. I'm getting more and more psyched about trading Walker for some role players and then going with what we have.

Old 06-24-2004, 09:57 PM   #255
Drbio
Banned

Quote:
another double, doc?
Premature Ejocularity. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-blush.gif[/img]
Old 06-24-2004, 09:59 PM   #256
ocelot_ark
Diamond Member

ocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud of

man...i'm getting bored...i want something exciting to happen again.
Old 06-24-2004, 09:59 PM   #257
Drbio
Banned

Can the Mavs pick get here any slower?
Old 06-24-2004, 09:59 PM   #258
grndmstr_c
Diamond Member

grndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I'm getting more and more psyched about trading Walker for some role players and then going with what we have.
Easier said than done at this point. We've got too many people on our roster as it is, so if Walker goes it'll probably have to be in exchange for just one guy.
Old 06-24-2004, 10:00 PM   #259
FineCubanCigar
Golden Member

FineCubanCigar is a glorious beacon of lightFineCubanCigar is a glorious beacon of lightFineCubanCigar is a glorious beacon of lightFineCubanCigar is a glorious beacon of lightFineCubanCigar is a glorious beacon of lightFineCubanCigar is a glorious beacon of lightFineCubanCigar is a glorious beacon of light

Whatever happened to upgrading DEFENSE Nellie????!!!! Damn this is starting to piss me off it all started in the claim that Stack, L8tner and a #5 brought a "new defensive mentality" - is he really that lost. If we keep Stack/Walker i am pissed. I've seen enough offense and no D.
Old 06-24-2004, 10:01 PM   #260
FilthyFinMavs
Diamond Member

FilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally posted by: PepperTheMavsFan41
Quote:
Quote:
Dont forget about Kirk Hienrich!!!

Geez!!!
That guy there reminds me of Nash so much it's scary at times. I don't hear people rave about him too much but they should. I'm not sure about his distributing skills though.

1996-2005
FilthyFinMavs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2004, 10:01 PM   #261
SaltwaterChaffy
Platinum Member

Ariza could be a good player

Mo Ke, Jin, Lloreda, and Johnson still around.

Old 06-24-2004, 10:01 PM   #262
Drbio
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by: Drbio
5 picks X 2 minutes each = ETERNITY. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-mad.gif[/img]

Memphis just traded for Andre Emmitt.
Old 06-24-2004, 10:02 PM   #263
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

Quote:
It's the Anniversary of the theory of relativity. Thats definitely coming into play.
Old 06-24-2004, 10:03 PM   #264
SaltwaterChaffy
Platinum Member

Well, there goes Jin to Portland.

Old 06-24-2004, 10:09 PM   #265
ocelot_ark
Diamond Member

I'm almost positive that this pick is going to be traded. We already have a loaded roster. I'm guessing this second for a future from...Milwaukee.
Old 06-24-2004, 10:10 PM   #266
Drbio
Banned

Bilas just said Ha-Sueng Jin is 7'3" and can do the splits. Not sure what that has to do with basketball, but damn...that's impressive.
Old 06-24-2004, 10:11 PM   #267
Just211
Platinum Member

Just211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to all

can always use a big body though... who knows, probably a pg
Old 06-24-2004, 10:11 PM   #268
MavsFanFinley
Guru

MavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond repute

It wouldn't surprise me to read that the Mavs trade the 2nd round pick away.
Old 06-24-2004, 10:12 PM   #269
Drbio
Banned

If the Mavs do take Mo Ke, it would make me think that the Shaq trade could be back on. Who knows?

My head hurts.
Old 06-24-2004, 10:13 PM   #270
SaltwaterChaffy
Platinum Member

Do you think we're ever going to see Cuban or the Nelsons be interviewed tonight?

Old 06-24-2004, 10:13 PM   #271
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

Isiah is a moron.
Old 06-24-2004, 10:14 PM   #272
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

Quote:

My head hurts.
Mine too

When is Dallas picking??

Old 06-24-2004, 10:15 PM   #273
SaltwaterChaffy
Platinum Member

What is taking so long on our pick? Is someon going to sneak ahead of us?

Old 06-24-2004, 10:16 PM   #274
SaltwaterChaffy
Platinum Member

WHO IN THE HELL IS VASILLIS PASOLUS!

Old 06-24-2004, 10:16 PM   #275
ocelot_ark
Diamond Member

We are taking...Vassilas Spanoulis?
Old 06-24-2004, 10:16 PM   #276
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

Quote:
Originally posted by: SaltwaterChaffy
What is taking so long on our pick? Is someon going to sneak ahead of us?
They skipped us.
Old 06-24-2004, 10:16 PM   #277
FineCubanCigar
Golden Member

FineCubanCigar is a glorious beacon of lightFineCubanCigar is a glorious beacon of lightFineCubanCigar is a glorious beacon of lightFineCubanCigar is a glorious beacon of lightFineCubanCigar is a glorious beacon of lightFineCubanCigar is a glorious beacon of lightFineCubanCigar is a glorious beacon of light

Nash must be on his way out.
Old 06-24-2004, 10:17 PM   #278
Drbio
Banned

With teh 50th (about damn time) pick in the NBA draft, the Dallas Mavericks select Vassillis Spanoulis

Stupid ass ESPN missed us. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-mad.gif[/img]
Old 06-24-2004, 10:17 PM   #279
ocelot_ark
Diamond Member

He'll be parked in Europe...I'm betting he NEVER makes it to the US, even for summer league.
Old 06-24-2004, 10:20 PM   #280
ocelot_ark
Diamond Member

NBA Comparison: Steve Nash

Strengths: An excellent athlete that shows rapid development in the last couple of years. He is speedy, tough and has very quick reactions. He's got unlimited energy in his game. His leaping ability is impressive. His offensive game is aggressive. He likes to run in the open court and penetrate the paint. His crossover dribble is quick and brakes ankles. His passes are money in the bank; has quick decision making. He runs the offensive sets successfully and delivers the ball to the right person in the right time. He is an excellent defender in the full-court press. He puts great pressure on the ball when defending.

Weaknesses: His shooting has range but needs polish. He's more of a streaky shooter. Needs to put on some muscles. His fearless game may cause him foul-troubles.

-Dimitris Armadoros