Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Everything Else > Other Sports Talk

Old 10-31-2005, 02:50 PM   #241
AnMan21

AnMan21 will become famous soon enough
Default RE:Texas Longhorns - Road to the National Championship Thread!

Quote:
Originally posted by: Drbio
I think that most UT coaches will be known at least as solid recruiters due to the pure number of guys that just fall into their laps. UT is one of those places (like a Notre Dame, Miami, etc) that guys just want to play for. No smack on Mack Brown here, just tossing out a little built in advantage that a lot of people like to overlook.
Yes, but Mack was also able to get recruits to come to UNC - not a program most tend to "want" to play for. His recruiting is hands down the best aspect of his coaching.
AnMan21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-31-2005, 05:22 PM   #242
Five-ofan
Guru

Five-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond repute

I dont know doc. Recently ND has had some trouble landing recruits and UT sure wasnt doing anything before brown got there. BTW how is Bush still ahead of Young on the heisman watch? Bush has a little over 100 more yards rushing on 8 more carries. Young should CLEARLY be in the lead right now. I dont think he should have it locked up but he should definitely be in the lead.
Five-ofan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2005, 09:30 PM   #243
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally posted by: Five-ofan
He doesnt call plays. His in game coaching isnt great but its not bad either. I do disagree with how he does certain things but the majority of in game coaching if you dont call your own plays is motivation. He is clearly a good motivator.
I'm sure he has a HUGE role in game planning and deciding what to do in certain key situations such as 4th and 1-2 with the punting unit on the field.
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2005, 11:00 PM   #244
Drbio
Banned

Drbio is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: Texas Longhorns - Road to the National Championship Thread!

Who says Bush is ahead? That's not a certainty. I am willing to lay a C-note down that says Young will be entrenched as teh favorite after this weeks game in Waco. I am not looking forward to the score, but I am looking forward to seeing UT play. I do love my college football and UT is one of the best teams that I have ever seen right now.
Drbio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2005, 11:18 AM   #245
AnMan21

ESPN has VY ahead of Bush on the Heisman watch this morning. regardless of the competition, should VY win the Heisman, the signature game will surely be the OkSt. game...
Old 11-01-2005, 11:46 AM   #246
mary
Troll Hunter

mary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally posted by: AnMan21
ESPN has VY ahead of Bush on the Heisman watch this morning. regardless of the competition, should VY win the Heisman, the signature game will surely be the OkSt. game...
Yes, by a VERY slim margin.

I think there are 2 votes seperating the two on that particular poll.

"I don't know what went wrong," said guard Thabo Sefolosha. "It's hard to talk about it."
mary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2005, 07:17 PM   #247
Drbio
Banned

I guarantee you now having seen them play in person that UT wins the National Championship. If they play USC it won't even be close.

And if anyone continues to say they couldn't beat the Texans, they are just wrong. This UT team may be one of the top 3 football teams ever put together in NCAA history. They are scary good.
Old 11-05-2005, 10:37 PM   #248
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

Male30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond repute

All I know is we are NOW in the game... We will be playing Kansas, A&M, and likely Colorado a second time and I see easy victories in all three games, (I thought A&M at Kyle Field MIGHT be tough, but A&M just got SPANKED by Tech)...

USC you better be f'n ready for Young... You might want to watch last year's Rose Bowl as to how he can put a team on his back...

I want to shove a USC loss down Mr. Cowherd's throat, (Colin is on USC's balls more than anyone else in the world)...

GO HORNS!!!
Old 11-05-2005, 10:43 PM   #249
AnMan21

adios VT - thanks for stopping by...
Old 11-06-2005, 10:29 AM   #250
capitalcity
Diamond Member

capitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant future

Get ready Hornfans...

The VT nut huggers (john saunders, herbstreit, cowherd) are gonna spend the next week lobbying for Bama and/or Miami to jump Texas.
Old 11-06-2005, 12:03 PM   #251
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

.....It'd be difficult to make a case for Alabama considering how little offense they have. They'd lose by 20+ to either USC or Texas.
Old 11-06-2005, 02:34 PM   #252
ocelot_ark
Diamond Member

ocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud of

Alabama will lose by 20+ to LSU. LSU's the best team in the SEC...too bad they blew their chance against Tennessee.
Old 11-06-2005, 11:05 PM   #253
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

Male30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally posted by: capitalcity
Get ready Hornfans...

The VT nut huggers (john saunders, herbstreit, cowherd) are gonna spend the next week lobbying for Bama and/or Miami to jump Texas.
P-L-E-A-S-E... If anyone, ANYONE, tries to lobby for either of those teams they would be complete morons... You can NOT put a team with all D and no O over the team that has been number 2 all year, (and number 1 for a week), and has a very balanced team. Likewise, you can NEVER put a 1 loss team over a 0 loss team if that 0 loss team has been above the 1 loss team all year, (the only exception would be a Utah/TCU team going undefeated and somehow left out)...

It is without a shadow of a doubt now set in stone assuming both teams win out... Texas vs. USC baby... Let the chips fall and hope for the good guys coming out on top!

GO HORNS!!!
Old 11-07-2005, 05:51 PM   #254
Five-ofan
Guru

Five-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond repute

Actually after LSU beats Bama, I think UT may have a cushion. I dont see them losing but its conceivable that they could lose and still end up in the NC game.
Old 11-07-2005, 06:55 PM   #255
alby
Guru

alby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally posted by: Male23Dan
All I know is we are NOW in the game... We will be playing Kansas, A&M, and likely Colorado a second time and I see easy victories in all three games, (I thought A&M at Kyle Field MIGHT be tough, but A&M just got SPANKED by Tech)...

USC you better be f'n ready for Young... You might want to watch last year's Rose Bowl as to how he can put a team on his back...

I want to shove a USC loss down Mr. Cowherd's throat, (Colin is on USC's balls more than anyone else in the world)...

GO HORNS!!!
IMO, USC should be worried about the speed of the Longhorn defense. Marcus Vick and company saw first hand how a fast/athletic defense can dominate a game. The Rose Bowl will be a hell of a game this year. Vince for Heisman

Contact Me
Twitter: www.twitter.com/alnguyen84
Facebook: www.facebook.com/alnguyen84
alby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2005, 03:45 PM   #256
u2sarajevo
moderately impressed

u2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond repute

I hate ABC.
Old 11-12-2005, 05:40 PM   #257
Five-ofan
Guru

I hate Oklahoma State.
Old 11-13-2005, 12:46 AM   #258
Drbio
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by: Five-ofan
I hate Oklahoma State.
*giggle*
Old 11-21-2005, 05:21 PM   #259
alby
Guru

alby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond repute

looks like we are going to the rose bowl, but I think Bush most likely won the Heisman with this week's performance against Fresno State...

unless Vince can pull off something amazing against the Aggies and/or in the Big12 Champ game, but I don't think Mack should be risking anything IMO.

Contact Me
Old 11-21-2005, 06:54 PM   #260
Five-ofan
Guru

Yes he probably did win the heisman and that sucks. It was a great game no doubt but VY has had the better year.
Old 12-03-2005, 07:03 PM   #261
alby
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drbio
This thread DEFINES Premature Ejocularity.
ahem.

Contact Me
Old 12-03-2005, 07:27 PM   #262
endtroducing MASKED
Golden Member

endtroducing MASKED is a splendid one to beholdendtroducing MASKED is a splendid one to beholdendtroducing MASKED is a splendid one to beholdendtroducing MASKED is a splendid one to beholdendtroducing MASKED is a splendid one to beholdendtroducing MASKED is a splendid one to beholdendtroducing MASKED is a splendid one to beholdendtroducing MASKED is a splendid one to beholdendtroducing MASKED is a splendid one to beholdendtroducing MASKED is a splendid one to beholdendtroducing MASKED is a splendid one to behold

man I wonder what it's like to play in a soft conference...where the best represenative of your other division gets beat by like 45 points. must be good.

btw, USC up 52-6 with the starters still in and throwing for the end zone is disgusting.
endtroducing MASKED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2005, 07:59 PM   #263
dirno2000
Diamond Member

dirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond repute

Yea, it is good...you get to play in national championship games...

...BTW, the SEC looked pretty normal in bowl season last year...weren't they like .500?
Old 12-03-2005, 08:14 PM   #264
endtroducing MASKED
Golden Member

endtroducing MASKED is a splendid one to beholdendtroducing MASKED is a splendid one to beholdendtroducing MASKED is a splendid one to beholdendtroducing MASKED is a splendid one to beholdendtroducing MASKED is a splendid one to beholdendtroducing MASKED is a splendid one to beholdendtroducing MASKED is a splendid one to beholdendtroducing MASKED is a splendid one to beholdendtroducing MASKED is a splendid one to beholdendtroducing MASKED is a splendid one to beholdendtroducing MASKED is a splendid one to behold

yeah, remember when the SEC played the Big XII head-to-head in a bowl? destruction.
Old 12-03-2005, 09:11 PM   #265
Murphy3
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by endtroducing MASKED
man I wonder what it's like to play in a soft conference...where the best represenative of your other division gets beat by like 45 points. must be good.

btw, USC up 52-6 with the starters still in and throwing for the end zone is disgusting.
At least the Big 12 has one team worth mentioning.... that's more than you can say for the SEC.
Old 12-03-2005, 09:35 PM   #266
dirno2000
Diamond Member

dirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
yeah, remember when the SEC played the Big XII head-to-head in a bowl? destruction.
I'm not impressed...Tennesee was the 2nd best team in the SEC while A&M was 4th in the Big 12 (based on conference records)

That happened because the all mighty SEC was only able to get one team in the BCS while the poor Big 12 had two.

We both know that if Texas was in the Cotton bowl they'd have handed the Vols thier asses...just like they did to LSU a few years back.

Last edited by dirno2000; 12-03-2005 at 09:36 PM.
dirno2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2005, 09:40 PM   #267
ocelot_ark
Diamond Member

ocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirno2000
I'm not impressed...Tennesee was the 2nd best team in the SEC while A&M was 4th in the Big 12 (based on conference records)

That happened because the all mighty SEC was only able to get one team in the BCS while the poor Big 12 had two.

We both know that if Texas was in the Cotton bowl they'd have handed the Vols thier asses...just like they did to LSU a few years back.
And we all know that if Arkansas played Texas they'd have a 66% chance of winning, based on recent history.

Last edited by ocelot_ark; 12-03-2005 at 09:47 PM.
ocelot_ark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2005, 09:43 PM   #268
ocelot_ark
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murphy3
At least the Big 12 has one team worth mentioning.... that's more than you can say for the SEC.
Say WHAT? Georgia (10-2), LSU (10-2), and Auburn (9-2) would each give UT all they could handle. They'd each rape everyone outside of Tech.
Old 12-03-2005, 10:42 PM   #269
Murphy3
Guru

Texas would be double digit favorites against each of those teams.
Old 12-03-2005, 10:50 PM   #270
Murphy3
Guru

A vy apologist? I'd love to know who and why anyone would say this. Few have been more critical of the guy than I have this season.
Old 12-03-2005, 11:06 PM   #271
endtroducing MASKED
Golden Member

Texas would not be a double digit favorite against either Georgia or Auburn.
Old 12-03-2005, 11:57 PM   #272
ocelot_ark
Diamond Member

As FSU is proving tonight...point spreads have nothing to do with outcomes.

Hell...Arkansas was only supposed to lose by 33 to USC. They were only 20 points off
Old 12-04-2005, 01:45 AM   #273
Murphy3
Guru

Quote:
Texas would not be a double digit favorite against either Georgia or Auburn.
sure they would
Old 12-04-2005, 01:53 AM   #274
alby
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocelot_ark
Say WHAT? Georgia (10-2), LSU (10-2), and Auburn (9-2) would each give UT all they could handle. They'd each rape everyone outside of Tech.
Texas would destroy those teams...

Contact Me
Old 12-04-2005, 01:59 AM   #275
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute

For reference's sake, Texas's lines this year (by the way, they are 10-2 against the spread):

La-Lafayette - 39.5
Ohio St - +1.5
Rice - 40.5
Mizzu - 14.5
OU - 14
Colorado - 15
TX Tech - 16
OSU - 37.5
Baylor - 30
Kansas - 32
A&M - 28
Colorado - 26

I think it is safe to say that 10 would be the absolute bare minimum that Texas would be favored over either of those two teams. Actually, I think it's pretty safe to say that it would be two touchdowns.

USC's tightest spread was 13.5, against the Irish. I expect the title game to be basically a pick 'em. SC will probably be favored a point or two, but you can ignore that if you are playing the game.

But yeah, Texas lays two touchdowns to either of those two teams.
chumdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2005, 02:07 AM   #276
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute

Man, screw me. Evidently SC is favored a touchdown. I bet that gets down to close to four by gametime.
Old 12-04-2005, 02:24 AM   #277
dirno2000
Diamond Member

Chum you have to consider that, according to an ESPN poll from a couple of days ago, about 65% of the country thinks that USC wins the game and, if I remember correctly, 45% thinks they win by 7 or more. Those polls aren't scientific, but I bet they're not far off. After all, SC hasn't lost a game in two years.

If they set the line at USC -1, they wouldn't get any Texas money. In my mind, that line has nothing to do with the relative merits of the teams.
Old 12-04-2005, 02:32 AM   #278
Murphy3
Guru

5.5 points
Old 12-04-2005, 02:40 AM   #279
chumdawg
Guru

I didn't realize people thought so highly of USC. To make them a touchdown over Texas, that is.

It's true that all the line does is gauge public opinion, but there are enough people in the public, with enough dollars to put where their mouths are, that the line more often than not gets it about right.

In big games like this, though, the opening line often moves a whole lot. As I said, I won't be surprised to see it get close to four. In fact, it will probably leave a nice middling opportunity.

Off topic, but the money line on the Giants tomorrow is -170. They would have to win about two times in three for that to be a good play. I don't like the Giants 67/33 against the Cowboys.
Old 12-04-2005, 04:54 AM   #280
ocelot_ark
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alby
Texas would destroy those teams...
Like they destroyed Ohio State? Ohio State is the only team Texas has played all year that is in the same vicinity of those 3 teams I mentioned.

A&M, OSU, OSU - all relatively close games that could have gone either way. To say that UT would destroy UGA, LSU, or AU is the biggest case of blind loyalty/rose colored glasses I've ever seen. But hey...playing in the Big 12 probably does wonders for inflating one's ego.