Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 01-29-2024, 02:54 PM   #1
BPo001
Diamond Member

BPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond repute

I understand the black hole that is THJ, but isn?t his contract decreasing every year of his deal? No contender is looking for bench scoring for a playoff run? I?m sure Cuban wouldn?t trade him for a bag of chips, unfortunately. I feel like he has to have some kind of value around the league, but I guess history says otherwise because his name comes up every year at the TDL. Almost makes me think that the FO views him as an asset and we should get the better end of the deal.
BPo001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2024, 03:39 PM   #2
Dallas41
Diamond Member

Dallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud of

BR trade needs for Dallas

In short, the Mavs probably don't need to blow anything up ahead of the deadline. Tweaks, assuming they're the right ones, could get this team back on track. It's still less than two years removed from a conference finals appearance.

The tweak Dallas needs is something like the New York Knicks' acquisition of OG Anunoby (though there may not be another player like that available).

Dallas is 20th in points allowed per 100 possessions, and while Lively isn't blameless there, he's a rookie who's still learning the quirks of NBA rim protection. Where the Mavericks could really shore up defensively is on the perimeter.
Dallas41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2024, 04:15 PM   #3
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

DevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallas41 View Post
BR trade needs for Dallas

In short, the Mavs probably don't need to blow anything up ahead of the deadline. Tweaks, assuming they're the right ones, could get this team back on track. It's still less than two years removed from a conference finals appearance.

The tweak Dallas needs is something like the New York Knicks' acquisition of OG Anunoby (though there may not be another player like that available).

Dallas is 20th in points allowed per 100 possessions, and while Lively isn't blameless there, he's a rookie who's still learning the quirks of NBA rim protection. Where the Mavericks could really shore up defensively is on the perimeter.
Well that crosses out Washington, Kuzma, Jerami, and any other names I've seen.

I'm guessing you could re-visit getting Thybuille for cheap, but is he any good?

I still think rebounding is more important right now because it's more solvable. Perimeter defense is a trickier addition.

DevinHarriswillstart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2024, 05:49 PM   #4
SMC0007
Guru

SMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond repute

Perimeter defense is reason #1 on why I brought up Kyrie in a trade. Its why i dont think Kai and Luka work. Its not because I fail to realize that Kai is pretty badass when healthy. You can kinda hide 1 player on defense, kinda. But you cant hide 2. Its pointless to get a defensive minded rotation guy. Luka and kai get all mins and will always be on the floor in crunch time. I also have no interest personally in anymore 1 direction players. We have a team full of those guys and have for a while.

you just proofed how stupid you are - CRAZYBOY
SMC0007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2024, 07:10 PM   #5
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

DevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond repute

My biggest issue with Irving and to a lesser extent Exum is these guys haven't even remotely taken the load off of Luka. The entirety of the Irving trade should be giving Luka some rest.

Old 01-29-2024, 08:14 PM   #6
SMC0007
Guru

SMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevinHarriswillstart View Post
My biggest issue with Irving and to a lesser extent Exum is these guys haven't even remotely taken the load off of Luka. The entirety of the Irving trade should be giving Luka some rest.
That SHOULD be the idea, but the coach negates the potential benefits with his rotation and lack of play designed or lack of play calling.

Luka should not even be on thr floor for the entire 1st quarter and it doesnt take a rocket surgeon to see it. Idk why he doesnt come out a bit sooner to preserve some fuel for later. We arent good enough of a team to manage his minutes late because it seems like scores are always close. Minimize his minutes early so you at least have the option later.

Moot point regarding Kyrie anyway. We needed a solid ball handler, preferably with size and versatility. Instead, We got one of thr best handles in NBA history but it came is a small package. I would have rather have had a taller 2 way SG with less offensive skill than Kyrie.

Old 01-29-2024, 11:42 PM   #7
Scoobay
Golden Member

Scoobay has a brilliant futureScoobay has a brilliant futureScoobay has a brilliant futureScoobay has a brilliant futureScoobay has a brilliant futureScoobay has a brilliant futureScoobay has a brilliant futureScoobay has a brilliant futureScoobay has a brilliant futureScoobay has a brilliant futureScoobay has a brilliant future

i know he's got a huge contract but would Ben simmons work here?
We need all the Aussies but aside from that could he be a small ball big for us? he does a lot of other things we need including defense, rebounding, and handles
Scoobay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2024, 12:20 AM   #8
SMC0007
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoobay View Post
We need all the Aussies but aside from that could he be a small ball big for us? he does a lot of other things we need including defense, rebounding, and handles
Hellll yes he would work. Hes versatile and highly switchable on defense. He has back issues though and hasnt played a full season in a while. I doubt teams have a lot of interest in him. In theory, if he were healthy, it would be a killer fit here.

Old 01-31-2024, 04:35 PM   #9
Melonhead
Guru

Melonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMC0007 View Post
Hellll yes he would work. Hes versatile and highly switchable on defense. He has back issues though and hasnt played a full season in a while. I doubt teams have a lot of interest in him. In theory, if he were healthy, it would be a killer fit here.
Hes played 8 games this year lol. he will never be healthy again
Old 01-31-2024, 05:18 PM   #10
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melonhead View Post
It's like you predicted the future! He is out again.

Old 01-31-2024, 06:25 PM   #11
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
*7 games and on pace to play 13 games in 23-24
Last year he missed 40 games
Year before was all 82

And he's earning 38 this year and 40mill next year.

Healthy, he's absolutely perfect. He'd have to play C here with his lack of scoring, but he's an elite defender, a great rebounder, and could be the missing piece with our ball movement as a point-center/point-forward. But yeah, he's massively overpaid and almost guaranteed to miss more time than even Kyrie.

Last edited by EricaLubarsky; 01-31-2024 at 06:41 PM.
EricaLubarsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2024, 07:29 PM   #12
SMC0007
Guru

Quote:
So he would be a perfect fit. Right next to Kyrie on the bench (and everyone else).

Old 02-02-2024, 01:34 AM   #13
Dallas41
Diamond Member

Dallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoobay View Post

This won't be a popular opinion but I think Simmons at PF would be a similar type of pickup and fit here that Denver got with Arron Gordon.

I personally don't care about his lack of 3 point shooting because I'm sick of this team jacking up 3's anyway and bricking them.

What he does add is elite defense and ball handling to your front court.

I think him and Lively together makes Dallas immediately a better rebounding team over night. In fact with Luka and Kyrie here Simmons would actually be that 3rd ball handler they've been missing since Dinwiddie got shipped out.

If they ended up with both Simmons and DFS they would have the size up front to finally matchup with bigger teams like Minnesota, Denver and LA Clippers.

Those 3 teams always bully Dallas because the mavs are too small to matchup.

I'd love to roll into the playoffs with Lively, Simmons, DFS, Kyrie and Luka
Old 02-02-2024, 01:48 AM   #14
SMC0007
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallas41 View Post
This won't be a popular opinion but I think Simmons at PF would be a similar type of pickup and fit here that Denver got with Arron Gordon.

I personally don't care about his lack of 3 point shooting because I'm sick of this team jacking up 3's anyway and bricking them.

What he does add is elite defense and ball handling to your front court.

I think him and Lively together makes Dallas immediately a better rebounding team over night. In fact with Luka and Kyrie here Simmons would actually be that 3rd ball handler they've been missing since Dinwiddie got shipped out.

If they ended up with both Simmons and DFS they would have the size up front to finally matchup with bigger teams like Minnesota, Denver and LA Clippers.

Those 3 teams always bully Dallas because the mavs are too small to matchup.

I'd love to roll into the playoffs with Lively, Simmons, DFS, Kyrie and Luka
You wouldn't get that lineup in the playoffs because
1) Kai cant stay healthy
2) Ben Simmons definitely cant stay healthy
3) We wouldnt make the playoffs.

Old 02-02-2024, 12:36 PM   #15
saclare
Platinum Member

saclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant future

Quote:
1) Kai cant stay healthy
This is silly.
saclare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2024, 12:41 PM   #16
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by saclare View Post
This is silly.
No one has ever gone broke betting against Simmons

But you?re probably right that missing the play in would be a stretch. 3.5 games ahead of the Rockets for 11th and the Rockets have been horse shit. We had a losing record in January and the Rockets were even worse. We could go 8-28 the rest of the season and still not catch them.
Old 02-02-2024, 02:11 PM   #17
SMC0007
Guru

Quote:
This is silly.
Pfft. How is this silly?

Old 02-02-2024, 05:10 PM   #18
saclare
Platinum Member

saclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant future

Quote:
Pfft. How is this silly?
You're being silly and you know it, silly.

Two hypo's which are decently supported, but even without those two, this is a play-in team. I'm just messing around, really. More twiddling my thumbs waiting for some kind of move.

Iztok seems to imply the Mavs might dabble in the 2nd tier of trading and leave a path forward to unlock 3 FRPs to manage the roster. That would mean no trading of the 1 we have now and utilize players and second rounders.

Mentions Tari Eason, Deni Advija, and Andrew Wiggins as potential targets in that line of thinking.

I would understand it, but it would be frustrating to watch another year of Luka down the drain. I mean, I could see the health all aligning with a huuuuge IF attached.
Old 02-02-2024, 03:51 PM   #19
Dallas41
Diamond Member

Quote:
1) Kai cant stay healthy
I get the injury concerns but I don't think kyrie would sit potential playoff games with minor injuries he has now.

I think the mavs are just content to let him be 100%

Also I believe simmons would perform outstanding here as that 3rd ball handler and switchable defensive big.

Bradley Beal stayed injured a lot to but sometimes you have to roll that dice.

I just love the combination of Lively, Simmons and DFS up front together. Chances are it'll never happen by trade but if it did I think the mavs would become a better team overall with that type of size added
Old 01-30-2024, 12:24 AM   #20
SMC0007
Guru

From post game comments, it sounds like someone got into the teams ass at halftime. It might have been J Kidd but go figure, they turn up the heat on defense and the effort was night and day in 2nd half.

Old 01-31-2024, 04:26 AM   #21
rimrocker
Diamond Member

rimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond repute

Ben would be great but too much risk imo.
We already have a former Net who is out more than in.
rimrocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2024, 11:45 AM   #22
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

Maybe some wiggle room to get Kuzma.

https://twitter.com/TheDunkCentral/s...29102472134909

And we have a good trading relationship with the Wizards.

My thing is that once we convey our pick this summer, then we'll have three first round picks to trade. Might be better to wait.

Last edited by DevinHarriswillstart; 01-31-2024 at 11:45 AM.
Old 01-31-2024, 02:39 PM   #23
SMC0007
Guru

Kuzma is nice, and if its the best deal we can do, they have to highly consider it. We dont have time to fvck around before Lukas contract talks fire up. Time flies by when youre getting your sht pushed in trying to build around a superstar.

Old 02-01-2024, 07:06 PM   #24
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

One week

Grizz just traded Adams to Rockets for three SRPs
Old 02-01-2024, 07:57 PM   #25
Melonhead
Guru

Melonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond repute

Rumors are ramping up on twitter. Crazy one floating about lebron nothing legit tied to it or any teams.

Also Kyrie was answering questions on his discord. Used the Nic Cage meme flowing hair to describe being with the Mavs

I?m starting to wonder about Kuzma. Provides scoring and size. Especially when Kyrie is out.
Old 02-01-2024, 08:42 PM   #26
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

Quote:
Rumors are ramping up on twitter. Crazy one floating about lebron nothing legit tied to it or any teams.

Also Kyrie was answering questions on his discord. Used the Nic Cage meme flowing hair to describe being with the Mavs

I?m starting to wonder about Kuzma. Provides scoring and size. Especially when Kyrie is out.
Yeah, saw both of the Kuzma and Lebron rumors which means we're getting DFS.

Old 02-01-2024, 08:58 PM   #27
SMC0007
Guru

I will bust a fn spring if we end up with DFS. Lol.

Old 02-01-2024, 09:06 PM   #28
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

Quote:
It would be SUCH a Mavs move. He is a fan darling too.

He is also ruled out the next two games. Mwahahaha.

Old 02-02-2024, 03:11 PM   #29
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

Quote:
Hey SMCCCC...

https://twitter.com/TheDunkCentral/s...07454804005269

Old 02-02-2024, 03:53 PM   #30
Dallas41
Diamond Member

Quote:
Man I hope they pull the trigger and get either Ben or Royce along with him.
Old 02-02-2024, 04:26 PM   #31
Melonhead
Guru

Boy I cant wait to get DFS back and continue to be the definition of mid.

DFS is 2nd in the league in guys that avg over 25 min but have less than 10/5/3. His defense has taken a downward trajectory, its really just vibes and luka's friend.

Also on that list is Josh Green at 3rd, and Grant Williams at 5th.

We have too many heavy minutes guys that do not produce. (I know its kind of an arbitrary list with the 3 assists tacked on, but i think the truth is somewhere in there)

Last edited by Melonhead; 02-02-2024 at 04:31 PM.
Melonhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2024, 04:46 PM   #32
SMC0007
Guru

Quote:
Lolol. Oh fvck me. The comment section is solid though.

Old 02-02-2024, 09:08 AM   #33
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

Saw that online chat about the Mavs wanting Miles Bridges over PJ Washington.

Miles is averaging 23/8/3.5 on 49/41 shooting for the month of January.

He would certainly add to their anti-women org.

Old 02-02-2024, 10:53 AM   #34
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

6 days

Hopefully three more games with this squad:

Bucks
76ers without Embiid
Nets

Last edited by EricaLubarsky; 02-02-2024 at 11:29 AM.
Old 02-02-2024, 12:00 PM   #35
Melonhead
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricaLubarsky View Post
6 days

Hopefully three more games with this squad:

Bucks
76ers without Embiid
Nets
Paul Reed will feast on our defense

Bucks and Doc with a lot of pressure after starting 0-2. What better way to get back into a groove than to play the mavs.

2-1 would be great, but 1-2 is likely imo
Old 02-02-2024, 12:38 PM   #36
saclare
Platinum Member

I'm still on the Kuzma/Gafford train...though I do understand the 3rd ballhandler. But getting those two and hoping on Kyrie/Exum health would be a formidable roster and really have a chance.

Rebounding. All I want is rebounding. Anything else is gravy.
Old 02-02-2024, 01:40 PM   #37
Melonhead
Guru

Quote:
I'm still on the Kuzma/Gafford train...though I do understand the 3rd ballhandler. But getting those two and hoping on Kyrie/Exum health would be a formidable roster and really have a chance.

Rebounding. All I want is rebounding. Anything else is gravy.
This would be a home run. Just need to keep Lively (and i hope omax)
Old 02-02-2024, 05:09 PM   #38
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

NBACentral is the single worst source on social media. Literally the worst.
Old 02-02-2024, 05:28 PM   #39
BPo001
Diamond Member

BPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond repute

I saw a report Mavs are willing to offer ?multiple draft assets? for DFS. You fucking serious? Going to blow what little assets they have on him.
BPo001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2024, 05:37 PM   #40
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPo001 View Post
I saw a report Mavs are willing to offer ?multiple draft assets? for DFS. You fucking serious? Going to blow what little assets they have on him.
DFS for Cuban straight up.