Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 05-14-2009, 04:20 PM   #241
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalmations202 View Post
Kidd, TMac, Wright, Dirk, (Legit offensive and defensive Center), with Terry as the 6th man is stout for sure, although I'd prefer to have a better defensive swingman than TMac since Dirk isn't exactly the defensive stalwart.

What is the price though?
exactly...I have no clue...and wouldn't really want to risk much on joints of TMac.

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"
sike is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-14-2009, 04:21 PM   #242
BGMaverick9
Guru

BGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by tybrock View Post
Mid-level exception

A team is allowed to sign one player to a contract equal to the average NBA salary, even if the team is over the salary cap already, or if the signing would put them over the cap. This is known as the Mid-level exception (MLE). The MLE may be used on an individual free agent or split among multiple free agents, and is available to any team that exceeds the salary cap at the beginning of the offseason. The Mid-Level Exception for the 2007-08 NBA season was $5.36 million. The MLE is $5.585 million for the 2008-09 NBA regular season.

An example would be the Toronto Raptors' acquisition of Jason Kapono during the 2007 off-season.
Yup,
I don't think the # has been set for this year but it's going to be in that range for the coming year...it might go down though based on the economy. I think it depreciates as the year goes on, but you can still use it to sign guys who get cut or something as an example. Don't quote me though on that depreciation, that's just a guess.
Old 05-14-2009, 04:24 PM   #243
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
A) C.Kaman (Trade Josh straight up)
B) J.Richardson (Trade Stack and filler/s)
C) Only the draft will tell
D) S.Marion (Sign with MLE)
I'm not sure if we can get all that done, but I like the type of players you're thinking about:

Kidd/Barea
Richardson/Terry
Marion/Singleton
Dirk/Bass
Kaman/Hollins

That's a strong lineup - lots of weapons for Kidd to use, lots of players that compliment Dirk's unique style...

These days being a fan is a competition to see who can be the most upset when
your team loses. That proves you love winning more. That's how it works.

Last edited by Underdog; 05-14-2009 at 04:24 PM.
Underdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 04:25 PM   #244
DirkFTW
Diamond Member

DirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by sike View Post
exactly...I have no clue...and wouldn't really want to risk much on joints of TMac.
Howard's joints >>> TMac's joints

'cause Howard knows where to go for the good stuff.

Is this ghost ball??
DirkFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 04:25 PM   #245
Nowitzki4President

Nowitzki4President is a splendid one to beholdNowitzki4President is a splendid one to beholdNowitzki4President is a splendid one to beholdNowitzki4President is a splendid one to beholdNowitzki4President is a splendid one to beholdNowitzki4President is a splendid one to beholdNowitzki4President is a splendid one to beholdNowitzki4President is a splendid one to beholdNowitzki4President is a splendid one to beholdNowitzki4President is a splendid one to beholdNowitzki4President is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Mid-level exception

A team is allowed to sign one player to a contract equal to the average NBA salary, even if the team is over the salary cap already, or if the signing would put them over the cap. This is known as the Mid-level exception (MLE). The MLE may be used on an individual free agent or split among multiple free agents, and is available to any team that exceeds the salary cap at the beginning of the offseason. The Mid-Level Exception for the 2007-08 NBA season was $5.36 million. The MLE is $5.585 million for the 2008-09 NBA regular season.

An example would be the Toronto Raptors' acquisition of Jason Kapono during the 2007 off-season.
Alright, Thanks man.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nowitzki4President View Post
Nowitzki4President is the greatest man to ever live!
Nowitzki4President is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 04:25 PM   #246
BGMaverick9
Guru

BGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond repute

Just a quick glance at A hawks board and Dallas and Smith were mentioned, but I think we're barking up the wrong tree. Howard/Bass isn't good enough in their opinion for him. They need something in the Amare caliber for Smith...maybe not him specifically, but something along those lines.
Old 05-14-2009, 04:27 PM   #247
tybrock

tybrock is a jewel in the roughtybrock is a jewel in the roughtybrock is a jewel in the roughtybrock is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underdog View Post
I'm not sure if we can get all that done, but I like the type of players you're thinking about:

Kidd/Barea
Richardson/Terry
Marion/Singleton
Dirk/Bass
Kaman/Hollins

That's a strong lineup - lots of weapons for Kidd to use, lots of players that compliment Dirk's unique style...
I brought it up, and I'm still blown away by that lineup. We should write Cubes a letter or something!
tybrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 04:30 PM   #248
BGMaverick9
Guru

I still think if we're looking at the ATL...Joe Johnson is a guy to look at, the problem is the $, he's going to want a big extension. Again, I ask the question...is Joe a guy you want to give all that money to?

He is the man in Atlanta and he's their best player, he needs talent around him. Dirk is the man in Dallas and their...you get the idea.

Josh and _____ would probably need to be in the equation.
Old 05-14-2009, 04:31 PM   #249
SMC0007
Guru

SMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirkFTW View Post

dbl post

Last edited by SMC0007; 05-14-2009 at 04:32 PM.
SMC0007 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 04:31 PM   #250
SMC0007
Guru

SMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirkFTW View Post

Old 05-14-2009, 04:32 PM   #251
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by BGMaverick9 View Post
They need something in the Amare caliber for Smith...maybe not him specifically, but something along those lines.
Then I'd say Atlanta is barking up the wrong tree.

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"
Old 05-14-2009, 04:32 PM   #252
tybrock

tybrock is a jewel in the roughtybrock is a jewel in the roughtybrock is a jewel in the roughtybrock is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Just a quick glance at A hawks board and Dallas and Smith were mentioned, but I think we're barking up the wrong tree. Howard/Bass isn't good enough in their opinion for him. They need something in the Amare caliber for Smith...maybe not him specifically, but something along those lines.
With what we need to accomplish this offseason. There is no way we could do that. I'm a fan of Smith playing along side Kidd, but it just isn't worth it.
Old 05-14-2009, 04:33 PM   #253
Thomas86
Golden Member

Thomas86 is a name known to allThomas86 is a name known to allThomas86 is a name known to allThomas86 is a name known to allThomas86 is a name known to allThomas86 is a name known to allThomas86 is a name known to allThomas86 is a name known to allThomas86 is a name known to allThomas86 is a name known to allThomas86 is a name known to all

Whatever the Mavs do they need to put a SuperStar next to Dirk like a Shaq or Vince Carter, the NBA is a SuperStar leauge and Dirk doesn't get treated like it...so the only way the Mavs are gonna get any respect/NBA title is if they bring a Star in Dallas to play with Dirk.
Thomas86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 04:33 PM   #254
sike
The Preacha

Quote:
I still think if we're looking at the ATL...Joe Johnson is a guy to look at, the problem is the $, he's going to want a big extension. Again, I ask the question...is Joe a guy you want to give all that money to?

He is the man in Atlanta and he's their best player, he needs talent around him. Dirk is the man in Dallas and their...you get the idea.

Josh and _____ would probably need to be in the equation.
I LOVE Joe Johnson...plus it would gives us two JJs!!!!

Old 05-14-2009, 04:35 PM   #255
sike
The Preacha

Speaking of Joe Johnson...he has been in the league for 7 years...I would have guessed 5-6.

He'll be 28 this year.

http://www.nba.com/playerfile/joe_jo....html?nav=page

Last edited by sike; 05-14-2009 at 04:35 PM.
Old 05-14-2009, 04:37 PM   #256
tybrock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas86 View Post
Whatever the Mavs do they need to put a SuperStar next to Dirk like a Shaq or Vince Carter, the NBA is a SuperStar leauge and Dirk doesn't get treated like it...so the only way the Mavs are gonna get any respect/NBA title is if they bring a Star in Dallas to play with Dirk.
I would like to see the Mavs go after a hungry Super Star who doesn't have a ring. Such as the K.G. and Ray Allen for Boston. We need someone who is coming to get his ring!
Old 05-14-2009, 04:40 PM   #257
BGMaverick9
Guru

Quote:
Then I'd say Atlanta is barking up the wrong tree.
Well, we're just as much at fault for barking up the wrong tree. We are a lot more likely to pass and move on to another idea than them giving in and saying "ok, you've got it."

They're putting a pretty big knock on Johnson.
-Folds when it gets tough
-Can't lead a young team
-Got a lot of "tread on the tires" for being his age
etc. etc.

That's harsh to say coming from your own fans, for the #1 guy.

Last edited by BGMaverick9; 05-14-2009 at 04:40 PM.
BGMaverick9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 04:40 PM   #258
SMC0007
Guru

Quote:
ok....I agree with this...but WHO are we talking about then? No one even close to VC who is youngish and potentially available jumps to mind.

ideas? names? tummy rubs?
Well unfortunately that is kinda what we would be looking at imo, Vince, Tmac some players that aren't as explosive game to game as they used to be but can still draw a help other shooters or create late game offense even if it isn't night to night. Then you move down a level to the G WAllace type players that are maybe not quite as potent offensively but can actually guard someone. I haven't looked into who would actually be avail in trade or who we couldn't get no matter what we dangled out there as trade bait.

I just don't like Artests name being thrown around. That dood is cancer worse than Josh. Especially with what we have gone thru with Josh. I'm not a fan of RJefferson either.
Old 05-14-2009, 04:42 PM   #259
SMC0007
Guru

Quote:
Well, we're just as much at fault for barking up the wrong tree. We are a lot more likely to pass and move on to another idea than them giving in and saying "ok, you've got it."

-Can't lead a young team
etc. etc.

Yeah, he obviously has some ability but is he the guy to help Dirk that much? I have those same questions as mentioned above.
Old 05-14-2009, 04:43 PM   #260
sike
The Preacha

Quote:

-Can't lead a young team
etc. etc.

especially when you're point guard is so bad that you sit him for large portions of the most imortant game of the year.

Let JJ play with JKidd....and watch what happens.

Let Dirk play with JJ and JKidd and see what happens...

You wanna know what happens? WELL......DO YA????!!!!!!

That's the rest of the league....taking our best shot!

Last edited by sike; 05-14-2009 at 04:44 PM.
Old 05-14-2009, 04:45 PM   #261
tybrock

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMC0007 View Post
I just don't like Artests name being thrown around. That dood is cancer worse than Josh. Especially with what we have gone thru with Josh. I'm not a fan of RJefferson either.
I'm with this for the most part. I wouldn't mind RJ though. Mainly because we know he can play with Kidd, and he is coming off a good year with the Bucks.
Old 05-14-2009, 04:47 PM   #262
sike
The Preacha

Quote:
I'm with this for the most part. I wouldn't mind RJ though. Mainly because we know he can play with Kidd, and he is coming off a good year with the Bucks.
RJ doesn't win you big games though...right? He is just a nice addition to a good team.

We need more than a nice addition.

Old 05-14-2009, 04:51 PM   #263
tybrock

Quote:
RJ doesn't win you big games though...right? He is just a nice addition to a good team.

We need more than a nice addition.
Oh God Yes! I'm just a fan of RJ, but he is certainly not enough to take this team over the edge. Unless we are getting Redd in some major deal I wouldn't even consider it.
Old 05-14-2009, 04:53 PM   #264
sike
The Preacha

Wink

Quote:
Oh God Yes! I'm just a fan of RJ, but he is certainly not enough to take this team over the edge. Unless we are getting Redd in some major deal I wouldn't even consider it.
gotcha. keep up the posting...and welcome.

Old 05-14-2009, 05:01 PM   #265
tybrock

On the subject of Michael Redd. He's one of those guys I think just needs to get with a better team. He is a lights out shooter, and surprisingly enough gets to the line frequently. He fits the hungry Super Star looking for his ring. I see him only getting better playing with Kidd and Dirk. Only thing is how will he rebound after his injury??? The Bucks have already expressed interest to move him or Jefferson.

Last edited by tybrock; 05-14-2009 at 05:03 PM.
Old 05-14-2009, 05:02 PM   #266
mac222b
Diamond Member

mac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond repute

Well RJ does get to the line(3rd most among SF) and hits 80% on his ft's. If bringing in RJ is one of 3 moves(along w/a center&combo guard)i'm all for it. 679 fta's in 07-08. 518 this past season.
mac222b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 05:06 PM   #267
sike
The Preacha

give me Redd over RJ. I just think Redd helps win more games.

But either one of them alone couldn't be the end of the off season moves.

Old 05-14-2009, 05:06 PM   #268
BGMaverick9
Guru

This is what I've seen from a MIL perspective on deals:
- RJ and Ridnour for Stack and Josh

- Ridnour and Joe Alexander for Stack

The homerun of sorts:
09 Pick, 2011 first, Stack, Howard, Carroll and Williams for
Bogut, RJ, Charlie Bell and Malik Allen.

------------
Kaman for Josh WOULD have some legs I think. They'll look for a wing player in return for either Kaman or Camby.

Don't shoot the messenger.

Last edited by BGMaverick9; 05-14-2009 at 05:07 PM.
Old 05-14-2009, 05:08 PM   #269
sike
The Preacha

BG, they are looking to keep Redd, then? or is he an option?

Old 05-14-2009, 05:17 PM   #270
tybrock

Quote:
The homerun of sorts:
09 Pick, 2011 first, Stack, Howard, Carroll and Williams for
Bogut, RJ, Charlie Bell and Malik Allen.
Their idea of a homerun is a bit expensive for us. That deal isn't worth the two 1st round picks.

Don't worry BG, the shot is aimed at them.
Old 05-14-2009, 05:17 PM   #271
Kidd Karma
Diamond Member

Kidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant future

Quote:

Kidd/Barea
Richardson/Terry
Marion/Singleton
Dirk/Bass
Kaman/Hollins

Much rather see RIP than JRich at the 2 guard.
Kidd Karma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 05:18 PM   #272
BGMaverick9
Guru

Quote:
BG, they are looking to keep Redd, then? or is he an option?
You've been gone for most of the season and you come back aggressive on day 1????

From what I read, I'm guessing by choice or default, he's still a part of their plans. Maybe they want to retool around him or they figure they won't find a buyer at all based on the injury. I'm guessing it's more of option A
Old 05-14-2009, 05:19 PM   #273
BGMaverick9
Guru

Quote:
Their idea of a homerun is a bit expensive for us. That deal isn't worth the two 1st round picks.

Don't worry BG, the shot is aimed at them.
I "love" the fact that out of most of the players we've shipped away one of the few who would come back via trade? Malik Allen. Who is next, Ager-bomb?

Bogut would be tasty though.
Old 05-14-2009, 05:19 PM   #274
alby
Guru

alby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond repute

I actually feel a lot better about this offseason than any other offseason in the past post-Nash.

Contact Me
Twitter: www.twitter.com/alnguyen84
Facebook: www.facebook.com/alnguyen84
alby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 05:21 PM   #275
tybrock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kidd Karma View Post
Much rather see RIP than JRich at the 2 guard.
I like RIP as well. However, his age, as well as the price and length of his contract worry me. I'm sure he is available though.

Last edited by tybrock; 05-14-2009 at 05:23 PM.
Old 05-14-2009, 05:22 PM   #276
sike
The Preacha

Quote:
Originally Posted by alby View Post
I actually feel a lot better about this offseason than any other offseason in the past post-Nash.
for no other reason than I think Cuban has seen the light with this current roster...so am I, alby.

Old 05-14-2009, 05:23 PM   #277
alby
Guru

alby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I still don't quite get how Bosh and Dirk would work on the court at the same time...

Not that I'm against Bosh, I just don't get which position each one would play on offense/defense - they seem kinda redundant in some areas (and I don't want either of them playing the 5 in most situations - would Bosh play at the 3?)
Bosh has played defense as the 5 the last three years. Unless you think Andrea Bargs was the defensive center of that team.

Contact Me
Twitter: www.twitter.com/alnguyen84
Facebook: www.facebook.com/alnguyen84
alby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 05:24 PM   #278
BGMaverick9
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by alby View Post
Like DLord mentioned a few months back. This has the feel of the team that has made the realization and finally made big moves to revamp the roster:

http://www.dallasbasketball.com/full...mn.php?id=1436

Good read, check it out if you haven't yet or if you forgot.

Last edited by BGMaverick9; 05-14-2009 at 05:25 PM.
Old 05-14-2009, 05:24 PM   #279
tybrock

Quote:
I "love" the fact that out of most of the players we've shipped away one of the few who would come back via trade? Malik Allen. Who is next, Ager-bomb?

Bogut would be tasty though.
I like Bogut as well, but I think you've got something with the Josh for Kaman deal.
Old 05-14-2009, 05:25 PM   #280
monty55555
Platinum Member

monty55555 has a brilliant futuremonty55555 has a brilliant futuremonty55555 has a brilliant futuremonty55555 has a brilliant futuremonty55555 has a brilliant futuremonty55555 has a brilliant futuremonty55555 has a brilliant futuremonty55555 has a brilliant futuremonty55555 has a brilliant futuremonty55555 has a brilliant futuremonty55555 has a brilliant future

Quote:
Free agent future Hall of Fame PG Jason Kidd, wearing a pastel blue T-shirt, matching plaid shorts and flip-flops, told the assembled media at the AAC what's next for him.

"I know I want to go on vacation," Kidd said. "That's about all I know right now. I don't know what beach, but I just want to relax and enjoy my time off and let my agent do his job and see what happens."

As far as free agency goes, Kidd did drop a few hints. Based on that and the fact that the Mavs can pay Kidd more than anybody else -- and have made it clear they really want him to return -- the odds are he'll be back in Dallas.

The other options that might make sense for Kidd would be to sign with the Lakers, Cavaliers or a team at that level in an attempt to win a ring before he retires. However, it doesn't sound like Cleveland would be attractive to him, considering the fact that Cavs PG Mo Williams made the All-Star team this season.

"I'm not looking at it as trying to win a championship, hitching on a bandwagon and jumping on with a team that's a favorite," Kidd said. "I'm looking to help a team try to win a championship. Whether it's here in Dallas or wherever it may be, I still feel that I have a lot to give to the game."

Kidd, who has no intention to sign a one-year deal, sees himself as a guy who can play at a high level for a few more seasons while teaching his evenutal replacement the NBA ropes. He'd be a heck of a mentor to a rookie like Ty Lawson, Eric Maynor or Jonny Flynn that the Mavs might draft this summer.

As far as the past, Kidd is much prouder of the season that just ended than the previous one.

"It's something for us to build on," Kidd said, "and hopefully come back and get off to a better start next year
."
http://mavsblog.dallasnews.com/archi...his-plans.html
monty55555 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bea > drew > erick, bea arthur could ball, bea arthur has balls, biedrins for the wins, boobsftw, damn bucksuckshot, flaco's purple nipples, mc pee pants?, oliwa?candy, ostertagtag?, tweetweet, who is this mcpants?