Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 04-05-2002, 09:36 PM   #241
Bayliss

Bayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond repute

<< What statistics lead you to believe Dirk should shoot more? >>

That he is 8th in the league in scoring.... that he will be All NBA (2nd team most likely) this year and the best Mavs player can't crack 20 shots on most nights?

I'm not comparing Dirk to Bird per se... but let me ask y'all this:

Would you rather have Bird shoot less and Dennis Johnson to shoot more?

(Don Nelson would've said &quot;yes!&quot; and Don Nelson would've never won a title coaching Boston.)
Bayliss is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-05-2002, 09:38 PM   #242
scooterj5
Golden Member

scooterj5 is on a distinguished road

Why should our top player shoot 20 shots?
Old 04-05-2002, 09:39 PM   #243
scooterj5
Golden Member

scooterj5 is on a distinguished road

Bird and Johnson is useless in comparison to Nowitzki, Finley, Nash, NVE.
Old 04-05-2002, 09:52 PM   #244
nekked

nekked is on a distinguished road

bayliss, the bird / dj comparison is interesting, but it brings up another thought...in the same post by grbh in the articles section, he cited that in the lakers run in 81-82, jamaal wilkes shot the ball over 250 times more than magic and over 100 times more than kareem. that leads me to my question...

there is no doubt that dirk is and should be the #1 option, but is he so far and away the #1 option that we should run 50%, 60%, 70% of the offense thru him??

in sa, it's duncan and that's it, so they have almost no choice to who pop runs the offense thru. but teams like the bucks, lakers, blazers, knicks, etc. have options and don't run their &quot;crunch time&quot; offense thru one guy. that's who we should be comparing the mavs to.

also, guys like iverson, duncan, mcgrady, carter, etc. usually lead the league in shot attempts because they are far and away the leading option on their respective teams.
Old 04-05-2002, 10:36 PM   #245
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

one thing..dirk is the best scorer on this team.. not as convincingly maybe as bird..or jordan.. but it has been rather convincing over the year... one thing:
dirk averages less shots per game than the mavs #2 scoring option..

I'm not saying to necessarily give dirk more shots than fin..
simply run the offense more through dirk down the stretch of the game. he IS the best offensive player.. he is the most difficult matchup for other teams.. he is the best at getting to the line.

now, like i've said.. running the offense through dirk more often down the stretch doesn't mean that fin and nash don't get their shots.. it probably means that fin and nash still get their shots but that they are from kick outs from dirk...that they become higher percentage shots..
they become open jumpers and with dirk being doubled..fin, nash, and nve will have better opportunity to drive to the hole
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2002, 01:30 AM   #246
David
Golden Member

David is on a distinguished road

<< oh yeah..just thought i'd let you know.. dirk isn't ranked in the top 20 in shots attempted per game.. yet is #8 in scoring..
imagine where he would be if he were #8 in shots attempted per game

and scooter, i was talking about specific games with dirk not getting touches at the end of the game... most notably, the last san antonio game..
no, i'm not talking about every game (i'm sure it will be david's next claim)
>>

&quot;no, i'm not talking about every game (i'm sure it will be david's next claim)&quot;

What was this right here? On the one hand you want me to stop talking about this drivel which you have flipped back and forth on. First Nelson is &quot;pathetic&quot;, &quot;idiotic&quot; &quot;stupid coach&quot;, on the other hand you've always liked him and thought he was the best. That's sorta like the guy that knocks his ol' lady around 'cos he loves her.

If you want me to stop talking about this boring, stale subject then you are going to have to stop with the shots. I only said you were lying because you were stating my opinions for me and then denied it. It's a matter of public record, you can look it up.
David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2002, 02:10 AM   #247
Drbio
Banned

Drbio is an unknown quantity at this point

kid- I'll never doubt your score predicting abilities again. Until you miss one of course.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]
Drbio is offline   Reply With Quote