Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

View Poll Results: Will we make a deadline trade?
No 73 41.24%
Yes, for Kevin Martin 11 6.21%
Yes, for Iggy 22 12.43%
Yes, for Stephen Jackson 12 6.78%
Yes, for Crash 1 0.56%
Yes, for a backup 4 3 1.69%
Yes, for a backup PG 4 2.26%
Yes, for Lebron 20 11.30%
Yes, for more than one player above 4 2.26%
Yes, for other player(s) 27 15.25%
Voters: 177. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-03-2011, 11:20 AM   #241
41mvp
Golden Member

41mvp is just really nice41mvp is just really nice41mvp is just really nice41mvp is just really nice41mvp is just really nice41mvp is just really nice

Jack scoars 18 points per game.
Butler is inactive, we lost his 15 ppg.We need guy who can scores 15+ppg
I think Jack will be perfect

No one loves Dirk any more than I do
MY HEART-WHERE DIRK NOWITZKI IS AND ALWAYS WILL BE AN ALL-STAR
41mvp is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-03-2011, 11:36 AM   #242
SMC0007
Guru

SMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond repute

Sound logic

you just proofed how stupid you are - CRAZYBOY
SMC0007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 01:18 PM   #243
mavs777
Diamond Member

mavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underdog View Post
Is Jamison being shopped, or is this a reaction to the great game he had against us?
It just makes sense that Cleveland would shop him and try to get as young as possible and try to get under the cap
mavs777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 01:24 PM   #244
BGMaverick9
Guru

BGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond repute

If we make a deal, I still believe it needs to be for a small forward that can be inserted in the starting lineup but doesn't need more than 30 minutes to be effective.

Marion can still handle the backup small forward minutes and move up to the 4 when Dirk needs to rest. Marion is best used in the power forward position so it's going to lock up the 4. That means the only real need is the 3 spot, preferably a two-way player. If that's not possible, then more a player who is more of a scoring threat.
Old 01-03-2011, 01:32 PM   #245
mavs777
Diamond Member

mavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by BGMaverick9 View Post
If we make a deal, I still believe it needs to be for a small forward that can be inserted in the starting lineup but doesn't need more than 30 minutes to be effective.

Marion can still handle the backup small forward minutes and move up to the 4 when Dirk needs to rest. Marion is best used in the power forward position so it's going to lock up the 4. That means the only real need is the 3 spot, preferably a two-way player. If that's not possible, then more a player who is more of a scoring threat.
I think Jackson could be a good fit, you can insert him at the 2 or the 3, if you want to give some rest kid and or jet, he is versatile, he can get to the rim (28% of his shots are from close range)

I am just going to assume his defense isn't as bad as 82games.com suggests
Old 01-03-2011, 01:33 PM   #246
MavsFanTillDeath

MavsFanTillDeath is a jewel in the roughMavsFanTillDeath is a jewel in the roughMavsFanTillDeath is a jewel in the roughMavsFanTillDeath is a jewel in the roughMavsFanTillDeath is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luc View Post
Quite obvious we have enough experience already.
Kidd, Terry, Marion, Dirk etc.
can't have enough experience imo..
MavsFanTillDeath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 01:47 PM   #247
grndmstr_c
Diamond Member

grndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by BGMaverick9 View Post

If Dallas hadn't struggled so mightily to break even when Dirk sits, I'd agree. But the fact of the matter is that even before Dirk's injury, the Mavs had a very real and consistent problem holding leads that the starting lineup had established. Meanwhile, when Shawn's been on the court with Kidd, JET/Stevenson, Dirk and Chandler/Haywood, the team's done exceedingly well. I'm pretty firmly of the opinion that starting SF is in fine shape. It's the PF off the bench (and potentially SF off the bench, depending on how well you think Stevenson can handle that job), that are the biggest issues.
Old 01-03-2011, 02:29 PM   #248
Kidd Karma
Diamond Member

Kidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by MavsFanTillDeath View Post
can't have enough experience imo..
No doubt, with a veteran crew, you can't one player making boneheaded play after boneheaded play....it throws the system off and like Tyson said, 4-5 lost possessions can cost you a game.
Kidd Karma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 07:05 PM   #249
BGMaverick9
Guru

BGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by grndmstr_c View Post
If Dallas hadn't struggled so mightily to break even when Dirk sits, I'd agree. But the fact of the matter is that even before Dirk's injury, the Mavs had a very real and consistent problem holding leads that the starting lineup had established. Meanwhile, when Shawn's been on the court with Kidd, JET/Stevenson, Dirk and Chandler/Haywood, the team's done exceedingly well. I'm pretty firmly of the opinion that starting SF is in fine shape. It's the PF off the bench (and potentially SF off the bench, depending on how well you think Stevenson can handle that job), that are the biggest issues.
I can definitely see where you're coming from because the team has floundered leads when it comes to the second unit comes on board. I think part of it is just the natural ebb and flow of the regular season, it's a grind. It's not like the Mavericks are the only team in the league that get massive leads and have to scratch and claw to keep them, it's a problem around the league. My optimist side says that even with the tougher teams in the playoffs...the Mavericks will crank up their intensity.

I mentioned it on today's show, I think the team will wait out the process. Jet has struggled, even more so while Dirk has been out...Jet needs him probably any other player on the team. Their two-man game works out very well. Jet and Marion have seemed to click a little bit over the past month or so with their chemistry in a two-man scheme as well.

I think with the inclusion of Jones and Beaubois, maybe some flexibility with Stevenson playing some 3, Cardinal doing what he does...you can still survive and thrive. They'll have some time to see what works. Do you start Marion, do you start Stevenson at the 3 and have Jet/Jones/JJ start at the two? There are a lot of things that need to be figured out to see if they can actually work or not.

The team had a pretty stout amount of depth at the wing position before the injury, it's dissolved a bit but it's still got room for improvement without a move. Now, that is not to say the Mavericks need to stay away from doing a deal. If a move is necessary after some time...go for it. I just don't see the need to do one NOW - give it time to potentially work itself out and you're likely to get screwed in a deal if you do one now.
Old 01-03-2011, 07:49 PM   #250
BGMaverick9
Guru

thought you guys might find this interesting:

http://www.libertyballers.com/2011/1...-the-mavericks
Old 01-03-2011, 08:51 PM   #251
Thomas86
Golden Member

Thomas86 is a name known to allThomas86 is a name known to allThomas86 is a name known to allThomas86 is a name known to allThomas86 is a name known to allThomas86 is a name known to allThomas86 is a name known to allThomas86 is a name known to allThomas86 is a name known to allThomas86 is a name known to allThomas86 is a name known to all

Quote:
Boris Diaw for Caron Butler?...Diaw can play both PF and SF if needed.
Thomas86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 09:06 PM   #252
sefant77
Guru

sefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas86 View Post
Guess you missed the last years and still think about the Suns Diaw...
sefant77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 09:14 PM   #253
Thomas86
Golden Member

Thomas86 is a name known to allThomas86 is a name known to allThomas86 is a name known to allThomas86 is a name known to allThomas86 is a name known to allThomas86 is a name known to allThomas86 is a name known to allThomas86 is a name known to allThomas86 is a name known to allThomas86 is a name known to allThomas86 is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by sefant77 View Post
Guess you missed the last years and still think about the Suns Diaw...
So you don't think a change of scenery whon't help him?...Chandler sucked too on the Bocats when he wasn't hurt and now look at Chanlder.

Last edited by Thomas86; 01-03-2011 at 09:15 PM.
Thomas86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 09:25 PM   #254
sefant77
Guru

sefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond repute

Chandler was hurt, Diaw is fat, lazy and out of shape...
Old 01-03-2011, 09:25 PM   #255
grndmstr_c
Diamond Member

grndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I've thought about Diaw. Not sure he's up to playing much SF. If the question is, would Dallas be better off with Boris or nothing (which is to say, Caron on crutches) this year, I think undoubtedly they'd be better off with Boris. Better off enough to justify the 9 million he's due next season? Not so sure about that.
Old 01-03-2011, 10:27 PM   #256
SMC0007
Guru

SMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond repute

No sir Boris Diaw isn't worth it. He has really let himself go.

Old 01-03-2011, 11:00 PM   #257
Rick41
Diamond Member

Rick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Really? That trade idea deserves a big HELL NO.

"Dirk Nowitzki is now a household name in every locker room in this world.
You say it in Brazil, you say Dirk, they know Nowitzki. You say it in China,
they know Nowitzki. Kobe, Michael, DIRK." - Jeff Van Gundy
Rick41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 01:05 AM   #258
mac222b
Diamond Member

mac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond repute

i like some of the high post passing and ability to hit the short jumper that Diaw brings. but he's a crap rebounder and almost never gets to the line. incidentally 2 of the areas we happen to be sorely lacking in right now. top of my wishlist for this team right now: a)guy who can get to the basket, create for himself and consequently goes to the line alot b)can hit the spot up jumper when the double comes for Dirk.

either way said player makes Dirk better and vice versa. Kevin Martin maybe being the ideal in this regard. guys like Corey Maggette, who do one of these things well, down at the other end of the spectrum. in between are guys like Iggy and Stephen Jackson who do a little bit of everything offensively, but nothing spectacularly and also are good defenders. i think getting one of these middle guys is most likely if any move is made at all.

after that the ideal would be getting a vet waived by another team(Troy Murphy?) that we use our MLE on (or trade exception) that can come in the game and grab a rebound, hustle, bang and hit an occasional jumper. like P.J. Brown, McDyess the last couple years. an energy guy like Najera or Cardinal that can hit a jumper and space the floor without killing us on the boards.

Last edited by mac222b; 01-04-2011 at 01:05 AM.
mac222b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 01:13 AM   #259
mavs777
Diamond Member

T Mac!
Old 01-04-2011, 07:13 AM   #260
sefant77
Guru

Please stop discussing Diaw, he is a shadow of his best "Suns days"
Old 01-04-2011, 07:23 AM   #261
mac222b
Diamond Member

mac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond repute

anyone have any thoughts on the Tayshaun Prince idea i outlined above?

i know he isn't the most dynamic offensive player but he is pretty efficient. he can knock down the midrange jumper and the open 3. gets to the rim some and is a good finisher. he's a good passer and excellent defender. Mavs get yet another defender to lock down wings to go along with DeShawn and Shawn. also he's expiring so future flexibility is maintained. he's played in the playoffs and has a ring so he's battle tested.

maybe Detroit, with no shot at the playoffs, does it for an expiring contract(Caron), and a 1st and cash. or contract Dojo or Mahinmi and cash.

all this assumes Prince doesn't get moved for something better in the meantime. i think it's the sneaky good play that hasn't been explored much here.
Old 01-04-2011, 07:25 AM   #262
mac222b
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sefant77 View Post
Please stop discussing Diaw, he is a shadow of his best "Suns days"
nice pun on shadow/Sun
i see what you did there...
Old 01-04-2011, 07:28 AM   #263
mac222b
Diamond Member

btw sorry if i sound like Hubie Brown in some of my posts "Look! you're Tayshaun Prince. you can knock the mid-range J and hit the open 3 at a pretty good clip. you're a plus defender..." etc.
Old 01-04-2011, 10:30 AM   #264
SMC0007
Guru

Yeah Prince isn't bad either. I think theres a couple ahead of him I'd like to have but if thats what we end up with over a hurt Caron, I'd def take it. He's probably the lowest risk reward of the group of cantidates.

Old 01-04-2011, 12:54 PM   #265
Kidd Karma
Diamond Member

Kidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant future

Prince actually may find new motivation here in Big D. Can you imagine us defensively with him or marion coming off the bench? Just like the Tyson move, it's not the sexy move, but maybe a great move, way beyond the stat sheet.
Old 01-04-2011, 12:56 PM   #266
Kidd Karma
Diamond Member

If I'm not mistaken, Prince and Chandler might have played on the same high school team in So Cal in the late 90's. I think Prince was a senior and Chandler a freshman.
Old 01-04-2011, 01:20 PM   #267
41mvp
Golden Member

41mvp is just really nice41mvp is just really nice41mvp is just really nice41mvp is just really nice41mvp is just really nice41mvp is just really nice

why not Prince is good

No one loves Dirk any more than I do
MY HEART-WHERE DIRK NOWITZKI IS AND ALWAYS WILL BE AN ALL-STAR
41mvp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 01:44 PM   #268
Kidd Karma
Diamond Member

On Fish's paid portion, he's reporting the Mavs have had internal discussions on Iguodala, but cost maybe too high, personnel wise and eventually contractually.

http://mavericks.scout.com/a.z?s=268...2/1036702.html

I'm liking the idea of going after Prince. He brings versatility, another veteran presence, great defender, I mean match that up with Boobs' skills, it allows him and Kidd to be a bit more aggressive on the front lines.
Old 01-04-2011, 01:47 PM   #269
BGMaverick9
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kidd Karma View Post
On Fish's paid portion, he's reporting the Mavs have had internal discussions on Iguodala, but cost maybe too high, personnel wise and eventually contractually.

http://mavericks.scout.com/a.z?s=268...2/1036702.html

I'm liking the idea of going after Prince. He brings versatility, another veteran presence, great defender, I mean match that up with Boobs' skills, it allows him and Kidd to be a bit more aggressive on the front lines.
looks like that site is changing for sure...I think they are starting to do some field work to test the market but I don't think they're doing anything right away.
Old 01-04-2011, 02:38 PM   #270
b_o_r
Golden Member

b_o_r has much to be proud ofb_o_r has much to be proud ofb_o_r has much to be proud ofb_o_r has much to be proud ofb_o_r has much to be proud ofb_o_r has much to be proud ofb_o_r has much to be proud ofb_o_r has much to be proud ofb_o_r has much to be proud ofb_o_r has much to be proud ofb_o_r has much to be proud of

AI2 has an Achilles injury that has sidelined him twice already. He is no good if he can't stay on the court.
b_o_r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 02:41 PM   #271
deamon
Golden Member

deamon is infamous around these partsdeamon is infamous around these partsdeamon is infamous around these partsdeamon is infamous around these partsdeamon is infamous around these partsdeamon is infamous around these partsdeamon is infamous around these partsdeamon is infamous around these partsdeamon is infamous around these parts

Definitely it's time to bring on Iggy.
Look at Turkoglu. I fought he won't back to old good playing, and now after trade, just look how he's playing.
IMO Iggy just wants out of PHI, he will fit here.
deamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 03:18 PM   #272
grndmstr_c
Diamond Member

Well, since Caron's done...Prince would definitely interest me. You'd have to give Detroit youth/picks to go along with Caron's salary.
Old 01-04-2011, 03:22 PM   #273
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

DevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Well, since Caron's done...Prince would definitely interest me. You'd have to give Detroit youth/picks to go along with Caron's salary.
I'm game as long as Roddy isn't included. Butler/Ajinca or Mahinmi/1st rounder/Cash?

DevinHarriswillstart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 03:35 PM   #274
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

I wonder what would be more valuable-- Caron's 10.56mill expiring contract with insurance payments or a 5.28million disabled player trade exception that costs other teams nothing?

Prince would be a decent deal and like a lot of the old Pistons crew, he plays exceptionally well off the ball and is a pretty good defender when motivated. I think we have a lot of flexibility because of how well Stevenson and Marion are playing. Stevenson could easily move up to the 3 and Marion is a legit 3/4 so we could grab the best 2 or 3 on the market. When Dirk gets healthy I really dont think we need much in the way of 4s though. A hall-of-famer and a starting-quality 3/4 (Marion) followed by a decent third stringer is enough barring injuries.

We just need to get the best 2/3 we can get with the contracts/tools we have without sacrificing our amazing chemistry, and we need to acquire a guy that can pretty easily fit into our offense without too many growing pains.

Last edited by EricaLubarsky; 01-04-2011 at 04:10 PM.
EricaLubarsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 04:16 PM   #275
sefant77
Guru

Lets hope the Bobcats go on a very bad losing streak. They have two players that fit and several bad contracts they would like to dump
Old 01-04-2011, 04:20 PM   #276
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

Compare these guys with Caron's numbers
eFG% of 49.0%
3pt shooting 43%
Pass rating 2.7
reb rating 14.4

Prince may be the guy I like most and the most likely guy to come here. He does just about everything we need. He can threaten the three (44% this year), space, work off the ball, and can occasionally drive. He's not a guy that can force penetration but he is a good defender and a solid team player that would work well in our system. He's doing better in every category that I listed than Butler, but is more a 3/4 than a pure 3 like Butler. He's a Detroit favorite but was having a rocky relationship in Detroit. He's expiring too, so it would take something more than Caron's expiring to pick him up. Statistically his best position is the 4/3
eFG% of 50.7% (+1.7%)
3pt shooting 44% (+1%)
Pass rating 3.4 (+0.7)
reb rating 16.3 (+1.9)

AI2 may be a bit young and plays a bit too much with the ball but he can create in the half court and he can provide movement and would require teams to defend both the strong and weak side alley oop. He has no three but he can penetrate well and is an extremely underrated passer and rebounder. I also think the nagging injuries might evaporate when he finds a reason to play. A lot of guys let smaller injuries keep them out of games without a playoff spot to shoot for. Still the injuries may make him a viable option if we can get him cheap enough. He'd also probably come with Brand who is adding a nice 15/9 a night and leading the team in +/-. Brand could come in behind Dirk and push Marion into the starting 3 position while AI2 solidified the 2/3 with Stevenson. That may be a nice talent upgrade but might also cost us some chemistry and the ability to be completely gelled by the playoffs. It'd certainly cost a lot of money and trade resources to get him too. Statistically his best position is the 3/2
eFG% of 47.6% (-1.4%)
3pt shooting 35% (-8%)
Pass rating 8.0 (+5.3)
reb rating 16.7 (+2.3)

Martin does a lot for us offensively and gives us that go-to guy that can create other than Dirk but he's easily bullied and his defense has been atrocious so far. Who knows what he would cost, but he provides little more than the most efficient offense for a small guy of anyone else on this list. His eFG, even in Houston is amazing. Statistically his best position is the 2/3
eFG% of 52.9% (+3.9%)
3pt shooting 42% (-1%)
Pass rating 3.1 (+0.4)
reb rating 9.6 (-4.8)

Jackson is a vet who can be very focused and influential defensively. He'd probably be had cheap. He may fit in quickly with his veteran experience and he brings a lot of what Butler did. He's a much better passer but a downgrade at every other offensive position (although playing with a worse team). Volume shooting and ego may be a concern with him. Statistically his best position is the 3/2
eFG% of 48.2% (-0.8%)
3pt shooting 42% (-7%)
Pass rating 5.9 (+3.2)
reb rating 12.6 (-1.8)

Diaw is a 6'8" PF that has played most of his minutes at the 4/5 this year. He's a little better rebounding and passing and has an amazing eFG% but some worrisome defense and works most effectively when worked into a system. He's floundered to find his role without the ball in Charlotte. He's one of the most unique players out there but that may be the biggest hit against him. We can't afford to retool our offense for him-- we need to find a replacement for Butler in the good thing we have going.Statistically his best position is the 4/5
eFG% of 56.0% (+7%)
3pt shooting 34% (-8%)
Pass rating 4.2 (+1.5)
reb rating 15.6 (+1.2)

Jamison is a 6'9" powerforward who has already had an opportunity to play with/behind Dirk. He's as versatile offensively as any 4 in the league, but his eFG% isnt terribly hot. Admittedly he has a lot of defensive pressure thrown at him. His defense is HIGHLY suspect and he would be eaten alive at the 3 by a lot of the 3s in the league. His only outstanding fact is that he's a great rebounder, but from the 4 position. He fits none of our needs and I think we'd find him totally unable to play the 3, and a defensive sieve that could be exploited even when the rest of the team was clamping down. Statistically his best position is the 4/3
eFG% of 47.5% (+1.5%)
3pt shooting 34% (-9%)
Pass rating 1.6 (-1.1)
reb rating 21.8 (+7.4)

Mayo is a 6'4" combo guard that has fallen from favor in Memphis. He's young which may be both a benefit and a knock on him. He may have a hard time adjusting to the new team with only 2 years of experience before this one, all of which in Memphis' system. He works well off the ball, and can penetrate. His 3pt shooting hasnt matured yet but still spreads the floor and needs to be defended there. His numbers are a downgrade in every category listed, but he may be a good replacement for Butler with the current situation if we can get him cheap from Memphis. His size may push the 6'5" Stevenson to the 3 spot and he could hypothetically play the PG on occasion, but probably wouldnt be ready to take over this season. Statistically his best position is the 2/1
eFG% of 48.9% (-0.1%)
3pt shooting 38% (-5%)
Pass rating 1.8 (-0.9)
reb rating 9.3 (-5.1)

Last edited by EricaLubarsky; 01-04-2011 at 04:48 PM.
EricaLubarsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 04:29 PM   #277
sefant77
Guru

Maybe throw Mayo inside, he is unhappy in Memphis and they are known for stupid trades
Old 01-04-2011, 04:29 PM   #278
nowhereman
Diamond Member

nowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond repute

Purely for the humor of it, I wouldn't really mind if our SF rotation is 3 guys named Shawn, Deshawn, and Tayshaun,

Quote:
RT @TyLawson3 Good game between Dallas and Portland. Good thing we didn't end up getting Dallas. Coach Karl lost his mind.
nowhereman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 04:32 PM   #279
fluid.forty.one

fluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond repute

Great post, Erica.
fluid.forty.one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 04:34 PM   #280
BGMaverick9
Guru

question for you EricaLubarsky, can you please check your PM?

Tags
flushbane, i hate dumars, return of the quack!, strike 17 for cadban?, thanks mods! more cadban!