Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 07-01-2019, 06:28 PM   #2881
Dtownsfinest
Diamond Member

Dtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan_Wilson View Post
According to Woj Wes signed for the minimum. We shit on Wes but Wes for the league minimum is a hell of a deal.
Yeah that's interesting because he's the same player now that he was when we were overpaying him. Nice deal for the Pacers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rimrocker View Post
It wasn't there, you can't necessarily blame the FO for that. If FAs don't want to come here there isn't much that can be done.

If we are lucky to get Green then the FO has basically optimized the tools for Luka. Luka is our star and the right pieces around him will make him that much better. There aren't many 3pt shooters available that are better than Seth and Green and there is a chance we could land both of them.
As I've said before, not sexy but that is a sign of efficiency.

Kemba, Kyrie and some others could have taken away from Luka's effectiveness by overshadowing by demanding the spotlight, glory, and most importantly the ball. This is Luka's team and the FO has given him one more solid asset with another damn good one still in play.
I don't understand this type of opinion man. If adding another star like a Walker or Kyrie would've taken away from Luka's effectiveness then we should've drafted Trae Young. A legit star in this league is going to be a star regardless. And I think Luka is that guy. I just think people are selling him short and it seems this front office is too.

Like we are talking about Luka's effectiveness being overshadowed meanwhile the Lakers added Anthony Davis and are trying to get Kwahi Leonard. To me you don't worry about those things. You sign them and if it doesn't work out trade them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Five-ofan View Post
We really don't. Luka and kp both have usage rates north of 30. Only one ball, couldn't have incorporated another star with them all that easily. I mean obviously if kawhi or someone wanted to come here figure it out but luka/kp with elite shooting around them will be a fantastic offense.

I think you underestimate Luka and kp. They aren't as good as Lebron and ad just yet but they are in the same tier
Luka I don't. I think Luka is going to build on what he did last season and be more efficient. I have no idea at all what KP will be. I Don't automatically assume he will be a star because he was one 2 years ago. I also don't assume he will stay healthy.

To me the objective is to sign the best players available in free agency. I've never seen a organization take the approach of "Oh this guy doesn't fit". You make him fit. If he doesn't fit?Trade him. But at least you have assets to trade. This team has no draft picks and are signing guys with ZERO trade value. This is more than likely going to be our team for the next few years and its disappointing to say the least.
Dtownsfinest is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-01-2019, 06:31 PM   #2882
Dtownsfinest
Diamond Member

Dtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by AO41 View Post
I disagree that we needed another STAR. I think one of the more solid players would have been nice and while it s a little disappointing I don’t think it’s because we NEEDED a star. I still believe that we need a GOOD team around these 2 and if we happen to get a 3rd star in the process...GREAT
You can build a good team and sign a star.

At some point you have to get some kind of trade value in here. Its useless to only have KP and Luka the only trade assets we have.
Old 07-01-2019, 06:34 PM   #2883
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

Male30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dtownsfinest View Post
Yeah that's interesting because he's the same player now that he was when we were overpaying him. Nice deal for the Pacers.

I don't understand this type of opinion man. If adding another star like a Walker or Kyrie would've taken away from Luka's effectiveness then we should've drafted Trae Young. A legit star in this league is going to be a star regardless. And I think Luka is that guy. I just think people are selling him short and it seems this front office is too.

Like we are talking about Luka's effectiveness being overshadowed meanwhile the Lakers added Anthony Davis and are trying to get Kwahi Leonard. To me you don't worry about those things. You sign them and if it doesn't work out trade them.

Luka I don't. I think Luka is going to build on what he did last season and be more efficient. I have no idea at all what KP will be. I Don't automatically assume he will be a star because he was one 2 years ago. I also don't assume he will stay healthy.

To me the objective is to sign the best players available in free agency. I've never seen a organization take the approach of "Oh this guy doesn't fit". You make him fit. If he doesn't fit?Trade him. But at least you have assets to trade. This team has no draft picks and are signing guys with ZERO trade value. This is more than likely going to be our team for the next few years and its disappointing to say the least.
Couldn't agree more on your FA comments! Should absolutely be about assets and you hope you hit it right. Look what GS did - do you REALLY think Russel is a solid fit there? No, but they know they could trade him worst-case so they did that vs. letting Durant leave for nothing (and it was a costly move to them too with a lot of risk involved). THAT is why we needed another star. And likewise agreed on the unknown of KP. Man do I HOPE he's everything he was plus some (and I believe long term he certainly should be as long as the injury is fully healed with no set backs), but he's likely to be limited on minutes and potentially needing to work his way back to 100% this year.

Last edited by Male30Dan; 07-01-2019 at 06:37 PM.
Male30Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 06:41 PM   #2884
Melonhead
Guru

Melonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond repute

Damage control move. They know he’s a fan favorite. Still don’t have someone that can create with and shoulder offense with Luka. Or any defense acquired.
Old 07-01-2019, 06:45 PM   #2885
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

Male30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond repute

All I'll say is this... If you think Dallas (with an aggressive pitch, the same or slightly more cash, and Luka/KP luring him in) couldn't have snatched Vucevic away from Orlando you're crazy (in my humble opinion). Dallas with Vuc vs. Dallas without Vuc and with Curry (and even with Green if they luck into that scenario) are 2 very different scenarios in terms of assets (and you could've still got Curry or possibly even Green by stretching Lee).

Just a shame and a real missed opportunity, even if you think the team would've struggled with Vuc's foot speed or even if you think the team would've wasted Powell's potential, etc. You still have the assets. Is what it is at this point, but man, so frustrating. Won't matter in either scenario in terms of really competing for anything if Kawhi goes to LA (which is likely the only scenario where we could get Green anyway) as that's just a juggernaut, but still...

Last edited by Male30Dan; 07-01-2019 at 06:46 PM.
Old 07-01-2019, 06:52 PM   #2886
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

DevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond repute

Does Walker's fit really matter in the end when he wouldn't even take a phone call or meeting with us? I'm all about adding stars, but none of them wanted anything to do with coming here.

Now that minds are less scrambled, none of the plan Bs were/are really going to move the goal post. It's arguable, but I don't even think Brogdon was going to make a huge difference. The difference maker 1As we maybe had a chance with were Randle, Walker, Vuc, and Butler.

And I'll say it again...Walker didn't think he fit here at all...obviously. So it's fine for fans to think he fits, but he didn't think it so that's all that really matters.

DevinHarriswillstart is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 06:56 PM   #2887
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

DevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Male30Dan View Post
All I'll say is this... If you think Dallas (with an aggressive pitch, the same or slightly more cash, and Luka/KP luring him in) couldn't have snatched Vucevic away from Orlando you're crazy (in my humble opinion). Dallas with Vuc vs. Dallas without Vuc and with Curry (and even with Green if they luck into that scenario) are 2 very different scenarios in terms of assets (and you could've still got Curry or possibly even Green by stretching Lee).

Just a shame and a real missed opportunity, even if you think the team would've struggled with Vuc's foot speed or even if you think the team would've wasted Powell's potential, etc. You still have the assets. Is what it is at this point, but man, so frustrating. Won't matter in either scenario in terms of really competing for anything if Kawhi goes to LA (which is likely the only scenario where we could get Green anyway) as that's just a juggernaut, but still...
All of the reports I heard were that Vuc wanted to stay in Orlando, and they wanted to keep him. Otherwise, you would have heard more about other suitors as he would certainly have them.

I was 110% on the Vuc train, but unfortunately he wasn't going anywhere.

Old 07-01-2019, 06:58 PM   #2888
endtroducing MASKED
Golden Member

endtroducing MASKED is a splendid one to beholdendtroducing MASKED is a splendid one to beholdendtroducing MASKED is a splendid one to beholdendtroducing MASKED is a splendid one to beholdendtroducing MASKED is a splendid one to beholdendtroducing MASKED is a splendid one to beholdendtroducing MASKED is a splendid one to beholdendtroducing MASKED is a splendid one to beholdendtroducing MASKED is a splendid one to beholdendtroducing MASKED is a splendid one to beholdendtroducing MASKED is a splendid one to behold

Looney back to Warriors, $15 million, 3 years.
endtroducing MASKED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 07:11 PM   #2889
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevinHarriswillstart View Post
All of the reports I heard were that Vuc wanted to stay in Orlando, and they wanted to keep him. Otherwise, you would have heard more about other suitors as he would certainly have them.

I was 110% on the Vuc train, but unfortunately he wasn't going anywhere.
We'll agree to disagree... I truly feel if Cuban made Vuc his main guy like Boston made Kemba their main guy, the attraction of playing with KP/Luka gets it done (if money is same or slightly more). Doesn't matter though. This is my last post on Vuc - Lord knows I've beat that horse enough.

Here's hoping Green happens for us because, if not, I'm not sure what this team does to fill this roster out. We better hope for an absolute stud version of KP and a fit Luka ready to take over the league. Short of that, this team is, at absolute best, a 40-45 win team with an outside shot at the 8 seed given the West.

Last edited by Male30Dan; 07-01-2019 at 07:12 PM.
Old 07-01-2019, 07:12 PM   #2890
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by endtroducing MASKED View Post
That had to be a "hometown discount" situation -- surely someone out there sees him as being worth more than that (I certainly do).

These days being a fan is a competition to see who can be the most upset when
your team loses. That proves you love winning more. That's how it works.
Underdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 07:21 PM   #2891
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

@JoelMavsNation:

phone: they want to send Dragic
Cubes: yeah sure great (hangs up) we got Dragic.
KP: what do we need Dragic for we have Brunson.
Powell: (Drinks) yeah, Brunson is already better & 18 mil cheaper
Cubes: (picks up) CANCEL TRADE! I DONT CARE HOW!

Old 07-01-2019, 07:24 PM   #2892
SMC0007
Guru

SMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond repute

Is Cousins not a tradable asset later on if he doesnt "fit"? Who else is there who could provide that option at the trade window?

you just proofed how stupid you are - CRAZYBOY
SMC0007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 07:28 PM   #2893
Underdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMC0007 View Post
Is Cousins not a tradable asset later on if he doesnt "fit"? Who else is there who could provide that option at the trade window?
I think health is going to be a bigger issue for Boogie than fit.

Old 07-01-2019, 07:30 PM   #2894
MFFL
Guru

MFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Unfortunately we are down to this

Cousins could fit and then we wouldn't trade him. Cousins might not fit but we could find a trade partner for him. Or Cousins might be a disaster and we're stuck with him

Your guess is as good as anyone's on this
MFFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 07:39 PM   #2895
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MFFL View Post

Cousins could fit and then we wouldn't trade him. Cousins might not fit but we could find a trade partner for him. Or Cousins might be a disaster and we're stuck with him

Maybe he's not a great fit, but I was down with Cousins early on and feel the same way now, especially given where we've left ourselves. That said, based on the feedback I saw when I brought him up a while back, I just decided not to even bring him up anymore. At the end of the day, he's a short time removed from 25 points, 13 rebounds 5 assists and 1.5 blocks per game.

He's likely never that guy again (definitely not those numbers with Luka/KP), but he still has strong name recognition and he managed to put up decent numbers this year even with that strong cast around him. I think, given what's left to pick from, it would be fantastic personally, but I think he's looking for a much bigger pay day than we want to pay given the 2nd injury and risk with doing another small prove it contract.

Where are we roughly with cap space after Maxi/Curry?

Last edited by Male30Dan; 07-01-2019 at 07:40 PM.
Old 07-01-2019, 07:39 PM   #2896
MFFL
Guru

MFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond repute

Maybe we'll snatch Oubre away and have a great free agency
Old 07-01-2019, 07:40 PM   #2897
Dtownsfinest
Diamond Member

Quote:
Couldn't agree more on your FA comments! Should absolutely be about assets and you hope you hit it right. Look what GS did - do you REALLY think Russel is a solid fit there? No, but they know they could trade him worst-case so they did that vs. letting Durant leave for nothing (and it was a costly move to them too with a lot of risk involved). THAT is why we needed another star. And likewise agreed on the unknown of KP. Man do I HOPE he's everything he was plus some (and I believe long term he certainly should be as long as the injury is fully healed with no set backs), but he's likely to be limited on minutes and potentially needing to work his way back to 100% this year.
I agree 100%.

I hope this organization doesn't have the same faith in KP as fans seem to. He's going to be limited early and he has to be a candidate for "load management" with his injury history. So knowing that......it was important to get a guy that allowed for KP to take off some nights. To me that was guys like Russell or Walker.

Quote:

I agree. I really don't understand this fear of "fitting in" here. I have never heard that used as a legit excuse for why you don't sign free agents.

I could even understand if they put all their eggs in the basket of KD, Kawhi, etc. knowing they wouldn't sign. That would've been a easier pill to swallow then them looking as if they have no idea what they are doing. Its like this front office doesn't understand free agency 2019. They are still trying to re-invent the wheel.

Quote:
Does Walker's fit really matter in the end when he wouldn't even take a phone call or meeting with us? I'm all about adding stars, but none of them wanted anything to do with coming here.

Now that minds are less scrambled, none of the plan Bs were/are really going to move the goal post. It's arguable, but I don't even think Brogdon was going to make a huge difference. The difference maker 1As we maybe had a chance with were Randle, Walker, Vuc, and Butler.

And I'll say it again...Walker didn't think he fit here at all...obviously. So it's fine for fans to think he fits, but he didn't think it so that's all that really matters.
How do we know that Walker wouldn't fit here? ITs this type of arrogance from the front office that's frustrating me. If they want to say he wouldn't have came here at all then fine. But every single free agent had the same knock on them. "Oh they don't fit here". Who cares? You at least have trade bait. I was in love with Walker for potential and for potential trade bait. And when I say potential I mean potential to play alongside KP and Luka.

This is embarrassing and this fanbase doesn't deserve this. They should've been upfront about their approach to free agency.

Tell us straight up that they feel like KP was their free agency acquisition(he wasn't btw....) and move on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by endtroducing MASKED View Post
Yeah I wasn't a fan of Looney because he seemed like a prime candidate to follow the same footsteps as McCaw and the rest of those Warriors role players who go on to never be heard from again. But I had no idea he'd sign for 15 million. I was thinking more like 2 years 24 or something along those lines.

Probably took less to play for Warriors.
Old 07-01-2019, 07:43 PM   #2898
Dtownsfinest
Diamond Member

Quote:
They keep referencing "fit". I don't know if this is just Dallas media using this for or if this is code word for something else that he front office uses. He's not the player he was if he ever will be but he should be far more healthy next season than now.
Old 07-01-2019, 07:43 PM   #2899
Bryan_Wilson
Diamond Member

Bryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Maybe we'll overpay Oubre and have a typical Mavs free agency
fixed.
Bryan_Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 07:44 PM   #2900
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

Quote:
fixed.
Must spread rep...
Old 07-01-2019, 07:48 PM   #2901
Dtownsfinest
Diamond Member

Quote:
fixed.
Facts. You think the story will be different this time around? This front office does it seems.
Old 07-01-2019, 07:49 PM   #2902
MFFL
Guru

Quote:
fixed.
Ouch - nice one!

I think he might be the only guy out there that has upside to grow along with the Super 2
Old 07-01-2019, 07:55 PM   #2903
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

Take a minute to imagine it:

C - Cousins
PF - Porzingis
SF - Doncic
SG - Green
PG - Curry

Defense for days ya'll!
Old 07-01-2019, 07:58 PM   #2904
SMC0007
Guru

SMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

Well nobody is beating his door down so maybe its worth the risk financially.

Best case is he fits well and regains near form or at least ends up our starter by outplaying everyone else.

Worst case is we dont spend much on him and he is an absolute shell of his former self, then annoys other players off the court and we get rid of him.

Middle and Likely case is he provides quality offense in many aspects as well as rebounding but isnt great defensively but another team wants the offensive ability and we have a tradable asset.

I dont see anything else with the potential upside on low risk high reward.

Old 07-01-2019, 08:00 PM   #2905
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

Quote:

Best case is he fits well and regains near form or at least ends up our starter by outplaying everyone else.

Worst case is we dont spend much on him and he is an absolute shell of his former self, then annoys other players off the court and we get rid of him.

Middle and Likely case is he provides quality offense in many aspects as well as rebounding but isnt great defensively but another team wants the offensive ability and we have a tradable asset.

Totally agree.
Old 07-01-2019, 08:02 PM   #2906
Underdog

Quote:

C - Cousins
PF - Porzingis
SF - Doncic
SG - Green
PG - Curry

Defense for days ya'll!
Nah, Cousins is done, especially on defense. I see the same exact thing with him that I saw with Wes -- their lateral motion is shot... Which is fairly typical of players who come back from achilles tears.

Old 07-01-2019, 08:04 PM   #2907
SMC0007
Guru

Quote:

C - Cousins
PF - Porzingis
SF - Doncic
SG - Green
PG - Curry

Defense for days ya'll!
I wasn't a fan of Cousins here when we had other options. Now that we dont, that lineup looks way better than it did a week ago.

At this point I'm down for a fun old school Mavs season with plenty of offense like Nash, Fin, Van exel, Dirk. Fk Defense! If there was a time for offense or die its 2019 basketball.

Last edited by SMC0007; 07-01-2019 at 08:05 PM.
Old 07-01-2019, 08:11 PM   #2908
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underdog View Post
Nah, Cousins is done, especially on defense. I see the same exact thing with him that I saw with Wes -- their lateral motion is shot... Which is fairly typical of players who come back from achilles tears.
Must've missed my smiley face. But no, he's definitely not done - just not 1st team All Pro anymore. Put up 16/8/4 (21+ PER) in 25 minutes with All Stars all around him. He's still a solid player and, again, considering what we're looking at being able to get (and possibly trade in the future), he would be a heck of a get IF we could secure him for more than a year.

Even at 1 year though, I still think I do it if for no other reason than to have Dallas talked about amongst the rest of the NBA in some way other than the way we have been (you know, as a joke). He's at least a big name that would choose Dallas (even if you tried to spin it like what other choice did he have) and hopefully that would help us in future years.

Plus, IF (a big if, sure, but still possible) he turns out to have a great deal left in his tank, man, who knows. Maybe he loves it here and we love his attitude like we did a number of former guys (Stevenson, Van Exel, etc) and he becomes a 3rd really great player on this team. Now all of a sudden we didn't strike out on crap and we're pretty darn attractive.

Again, read my posts early on to know this isn't just me talking because we have no choice - I love the guy and his potential. I would be ECSTATIC to have him here, even if it's just to have a freaking fun year as KP and Luka continue to grow. Offense all the way. Shooters all around. Let Luka reign havoc on the NBA while improving our team's image. All for it.

Last edited by Male30Dan; 07-01-2019 at 08:14 PM.
Old 07-01-2019, 08:15 PM   #2909
Dtownsfinest
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underdog View Post
He plays the 5 though. He can get away with his lateral motion. Mind you he was coming off a injury last time we saw him. A offseason and he may look different.
Old 07-01-2019, 08:16 PM   #2910
Dtownsfinest
Diamond Member

Quote:
Ouch - nice one!

I think he might be the only guy out there that has upside to grow along with the Super 2
While I agree....I don' think they are looking for someone to grow with those guys.
Old 07-01-2019, 08:17 PM   #2911
rimrocker
Diamond Member

rimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond repute

Count me out on Cousins.
Do we really need that knucklehead potentially influencing our youth?

I think the guy is done physically anyway and we'll waste too much time trying to rehab him back to form at the cost of useful player development and losing games.
rimrocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 08:17 PM   #2912
Dtownsfinest
Diamond Member

Quote:
I wasn't a fan of Cousins here when we had other options. Now that we dont, that lineup looks way better than it did a week ago.

At this point I'm down for a fun old school Mavs season with plenty of offense like Nash, Fin, Van exel, Dirk. Fk Defense! If there was a time for offense or die its 2019 basketball.
I say get Marcus Morris and Demarcus Cousins and watch them beat up everyone. I'm down lol.
Old 07-01-2019, 08:19 PM   #2913
turin
Diamond Member

turin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant future

Quote:

Agree. I think it's time to take a flyer on a guy like Cousins.

Also, I'm sick and tired of hearing about "fit" at this point. We need talent and some tradeable assets. The Clips trade with Miami completely exposed the Mavs FO as absolute amateurs. Right now, Giannis isn't a "good fit." Hell, he needs an entire offense designed around him for him to function in Milwaukee. Who knows how well he'd do after the Mavs forced him into a position in the flow offense? /sarc

Last edited by turin; 07-01-2019 at 08:20 PM.
turin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 08:23 PM   #2914
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by turin View Post

Also, I'm sick and tired of hearing about "fit" at this point. We need talent and some tradeable assets. The Clips trade with Miami completely exposed the Mavs FO as absolute amateurs. Right now, Giannis isn't a "good fit." Hell, he needs an entire offense designed around him for him to function in Milwaukee. Who knows how well he'd do after the Mavs forced him into a position in the flow offense? /sarc
For the record, a:

Cousins
KP
_________
Green/Curry
Luka

lineup looks a lot better to Giannis in 2021 than:

Powell
KP
_________
Green/Curry
Luka

...assuming Cousins CAN return to form and signs back with us for a figure that would allow us to still have the money to pursue Giannis. Yes, yes, I know. BIG assumptions all around... That's actually another reason I was excited about the C from Orlando (promised I wouldn't mention him again) as we would've had the International flags waving all around for Giannis to further attract him to Dallas for the NBA's first all-European team!

Last edited by Male30Dan; 07-01-2019 at 08:35 PM.
Old 07-01-2019, 08:38 PM   #2915
rimrocker
Diamond Member

rimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

I wouldn't have had a problem if we would have signed Kemba or Kyrie if they would have wanted to come. I agree, accumulate the assets and make it work.

I'm just trying to shed light on the positives that will most likely come from them not coming here. It sounds like all prayers are answered if a big name FA comes to your team but there are always risks when you sign these guys to huge LT deals and that is the point I was trying to make. I would have embraced that risk for the top tier FAs but guys like Harris, Horford and a few others will probably become huge regrets in a few years and teams will be stuck with those guys.

You were/are pissed at the FO when I responded and I'm trying to take to their defense to some degree because if a FA doesn't want to come here there isn't a whole lot they can do. They have probably known this for quite awhile now and was trying to come up with some type of deal to get us an asset or two. There were a lot of moving parts going on last night and a lot of their plans were probably contingent on other moves that were going on.
It was a very complicated night for them and although they didn't succeed to some of our expectations I don't hold them fully accountable for not being able to make something happen under the circumstances.

Adding Seth and hopefully Green will go a long way to maximize Luka's skills and talents and could enhance and expedite his growth as an NBA player. Luka doesn't have to do everything because he will have the leverage of two (if Green signs) outstanding spot up 3pt shooters as tools/weapons to lighten his load.

I'm not saying it is the ideal situation but certainly not the doom and gloom that people seem to think it is.

Last edited by rimrocker; 07-01-2019 at 08:42 PM.
rimrocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 08:46 PM   #2916
Dtownsfinest
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by turin View Post

I hope no one takes this the wrong way but the term "fit" seems to be code word black players it seems. May be its coincidental because most of the players in this league are black but I keep hearing media people talk about who fits and who doesn't and for some reason people think Luka can't play with anyone that doesn't look like him.
Old 07-01-2019, 08:49 PM   #2917
Dtownsfinest
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rimrocker View Post
I wouldn't have had a problem if we would have signed Kemba or Kyrie if they would have wanted to come. I agree, accumulate the assets and make it work.

I'm just trying to shed light on the positives that will most likely come from them not coming here. It sounds like all prayers are answered if a big name FA comes to your team but there are always risks when you sign these guys to huge LT deals and that is the point I was trying to make. I would have embraced that risk for the top tier FAs but guys like Harris, Horford and a few others will probably become huge regrets in a few years and teams will be stuck with those guys.

You were/are pissed at the FO when I responded and I'm trying to take to their defense to some degree because if a FA doesn't want to come here there isn't a whole lot they can do. They have probably known this for quite awhile now and was trying to come up with some type of deal to get us an asset or two. There were a lot of moving parts going on last night and a lot of their plans were probably contingent on other moves that were going on.
It was a very complicated night for them and although they didn't succeed to some of our expectations I don't hold them fully accountable for not being able to make something happen under the circumstances.

Adding Seth and hopefully Green will go a long way to maximize Luka's skills and talents and could enhance and expedite his growth as an NBA player. Luka doesn't have to do everything because he will have the leverage of two (if Green signs) outstanding spot up 3pt shooters as tools/weapons to lighten his load.

I'm not saying it is the ideal situation but certainly not the doom and gloom that people seem to think it is.
I don't disagree you with that it will maximize his skills but what happens when Luka leaves the floor? What happens when KP is playing limited minutes and getting his minutes managed? That is when it come in handy to have another ball dominant player.

I hate how this team is composed but its happened at this point. I don't see how we get out of this mess. I don't see any trade assets here aside from the players we are building around. Maybe guys like Kleber and Powell increase their trade value at some point and are able to ship them out and get that player on offense we need.
Old 07-01-2019, 08:49 PM   #2918
Five-ofan
Guru

Five-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

Randle would 100% have made this team worse. Randle is not good, this isn't just a fit issue. He's absolutely garbage defensively and was still absolutely garbage defensively playing next to literally the ideal person possible to hide behind. If you think randle is good you just don't understand current basketball.

Vuc absolutely would have made us better in the regular season... and absolutely would have been played off the floor in the playoffs. Walker would have made us better offensively but that would have been it for upgrades and you are absolutely a terrible defensive team.

Jimmy butler is the only one who doesn't hurt our ceiling and he's a nutball. I'd have been great signing him but I can see why they wouldn't want him around the kids.
Five-ofan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 08:50 PM   #2919
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

Quote:
How do we know that Walker wouldn't fit here? ITs this type of arrogance from the front office that's frustrating me. If they want to say he wouldn't have came here at all then fine. But every single free agent had the same knock on them. "Oh they don't fit here". Who cares? You at least have trade bait. I was in love with Walker for potential and for potential trade bait. And when I say potential I mean potential to play alongside KP and Luka.

This is embarrassing and this fanbase doesn't deserve this. They should've been upfront about their approach to free agency.
Apparently you didn't understand what I said. Walker was most certainly the FO's plan A, but HE didn't even take a meeting with the FO. That is 100% on him, not the other way around. FO wanted him.

Old 07-01-2019, 08:51 PM   #2920
Five-ofan
Guru

Five-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I hope no one takes this the wrong way but the term "fit" seems to be code word black players it seems. May be its coincidental because most of the players in this league are black but I keep hearing media people talk about who fits and who doesn't and for some reason people think Luka can't play with anyone that doesn't look like him.
Vuc is black? Because he looks an awful lot like luka and he doesn't fit
Five-ofan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
win now