Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 05-14-2019, 07:57 PM   #281
Skywalker
Diamond Member

Skywalker has a reputation beyond reputeSkywalker has a reputation beyond reputeSkywalker has a reputation beyond reputeSkywalker has a reputation beyond reputeSkywalker has a reputation beyond reputeSkywalker has a reputation beyond reputeSkywalker has a reputation beyond reputeSkywalker has a reputation beyond reputeSkywalker has a reputation beyond reputeSkywalker has a reputation beyond reputeSkywalker has a reputation beyond repute

So fucking frustrating tbh

Quote:
Dirk Nowitzki is a monster of epic and unattainable proportion. Seriously, he must be stopped.
Skywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-14-2019, 08:01 PM   #282
endtroducing MASKED
Golden Member

endtroducing MASKED is a splendid one to beholdendtroducing MASKED is a splendid one to beholdendtroducing MASKED is a splendid one to beholdendtroducing MASKED is a splendid one to beholdendtroducing MASKED is a splendid one to beholdendtroducing MASKED is a splendid one to beholdendtroducing MASKED is a splendid one to beholdendtroducing MASKED is a splendid one to beholdendtroducing MASKED is a splendid one to beholdendtroducing MASKED is a splendid one to beholdendtroducing MASKED is a splendid one to behold

Hey no one can take 2011 away at least. lol
endtroducing MASKED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 08:01 PM   #283
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

DevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond repute

That was about the best outcome without actually getting a pick that you could ask for with regards to our trade with the Hawks. They got 8 and 10 which makes getting Doncic the move of the century.

DevinHarriswillstart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 08:02 PM   #284
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevinHarriswillstart View Post
That was about the best outcome without actually getting a pick that you could ask for with regards to our trade with the Hawks. They got 8 and 10 which makes getting Doncic the move of the century.
Yeah, I bet Hawks fans are PISSED right now.

These days being a fan is a competition to see who can be the most upset when
your team loses. That proves you love winning more. That's how it works.
Underdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 08:07 PM   #285
sefant77
Guru

sefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond repute

Remember that crazy Salah game late in the season?

I knew it would matter at the end and it did. Losing that and we have either all the Grizz or all the Pelicans lottoballs...

Last edited by sefant77; 05-14-2019 at 08:08 PM.
sefant77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 08:11 PM   #286
Dirk41legend

Dirk41legend is just really niceDirk41legend is just really niceDirk41legend is just really niceDirk41legend is just really niceDirk41legend is just really niceDirk41legend is just really nice

Hey, at least we won't have to stress or worry about the draft lottery in future years since it's become clear we will never, ever benefit from it.
Dirk41legend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 08:13 PM   #287
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

DevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by sefant77 View Post

I knew it would matter at the end and it did. Losing that and we have either all the Grizz or all the Pelicans lottoballs...
We still probably get screwed because the Mavs have no lottery luck. Suns tied for the second worst record and picking 6. Is that fair?

Old 05-14-2019, 08:15 PM   #288
Budapest Maverick
Platinum Member

Budapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant future

Quote:

Pretty sure that's not how it works. We would have had more lotto balls, but theoretically could have done even worse. This is not a bad outcome, at least the Hawks did not benefit much.
Budapest Maverick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 08:18 PM   #289
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

I listened to Coops pre-draft discussion, and it definitely put a different perspective on it. He didn't really think any of the top 4 guys really fit outside of Zion. I agree. Be nice to trade for an asset, but I'm not sure you are going to get what you want in a weak draft like this. They asked a fair question wondering if Morant or Barrett would even be drafted in the top 10 in last year's draft.

Old 05-14-2019, 08:25 PM   #290
sefant77
Guru

sefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah...everyone beside Zion was pretty much tradebait for me too. Getting Ja and you could try to get Wendell Carter...or Mikael Bridges...or Bamba etc

Well, the 2020 pick it is (and the 2022 when the HS players coming back). I hope they are doing their homework and improve in this department. Doesnt need to be Spurs level, but close to that. Last year it looked allready good with Luka as clear #1 on their board and Brunson as steal.

But getting value from your #15-#30 picks is really important for any contender. Specially because you are most of the time over the cap.

Last edited by sefant77; 05-14-2019 at 08:26 PM.
Old 05-14-2019, 08:29 PM   #291
turin
Diamond Member

turin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant future

I'm so happy that this rigged garbage is behind us.
turin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 08:48 PM   #292
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

I kinda wish they'd just go by record because then there wouldn't be any of this silly drama. Lottery hasn't changed tanking or bad basketball one bit.

Last edited by DevinHarriswillstart; 05-14-2019 at 08:48 PM.
Old 05-14-2019, 08:51 PM   #293
Five-ofan
Guru

Five-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
We still probably get screwed because the Mavs have no lottery luck. Suns tied for the second worst record and picking 6. Is that fair?
For the suns yes. They've had so many top picks, they just suck as a franchise.
Five-ofan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 09:21 PM   #294
Dtownsfinest
Diamond Member

Dtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant future

Quote:
It depends how good Trae is. Hawks are building a solid foundation. I think it was a win win especially if they get a solid player. They have the option to trade up too.
Dtownsfinest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 09:23 PM   #295
Dtownsfinest
Diamond Member

Dtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant future

Quote:
They’ve been tanking year after year. For the best they got screwed lol.
Dtownsfinest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 09:26 PM   #296
sefant77
Guru

I like the new odds, it really doesnt reward hardcore tanking that much anymore because you cant bei sure to end up top-3 etc...

Just sucks that probably in our final try in a long time we cant have any luck again, yet the teams around us luck into top picks

Last edited by sefant77; 05-15-2019 at 04:19 AM.
Old 05-15-2019, 02:16 AM   #297
j0Shi
Diamond Member

j0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond repute

What a weird result. Three of the top 4 teams moved up into the top 4, and all the hardcore tankers except Knicks/Cavs are outside the top 5. Both top picks going to the Southwest division to the teams that the Mavs lost the tiebreaker to, lol. But still better than LAL or NYK getting Zion I guess.
j0Shi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 05:15 AM   #298
rimrocker
Diamond Member

rimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by j0Shi View Post
What a weird result. Three of the top 4 teams moved up into the top 4, and all the hardcore tankers except Knicks/Cavs are outside the top 5. Both top picks going to the Southwest division to the teams that the Mavs lost the tiebreaker to, lol. But still better than LAL or NYK getting Zion I guess.
Yeah, I was happy to see Lakers and Knicks not get #1 but then I thought "oh crap, we'll have to deal with Zion in our division most likely for all of Luka's career".
Could become a great rivalry over the next decade or more but Mavs will eventually have to find someone with some strength to deal with that beast.

Last edited by rimrocker; 05-15-2019 at 05:17 AM.
rimrocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 11:21 AM   #299
saclare
Platinum Member

saclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant future

If I'm NOLA, I get the absolute most out of a package for AD. He clearly doesn't want to be there. I'd hitch it to Jrue and Zion, and spend some money while stockpiling assets. Can always trade Jrue down the line if he then doesn't fit the direction.

I also think last night put a dent into the tanking narrative. How big may still need to be seen, but some garbage teams who were looking to lose now finished lower than they hoped. I think this lotto system could work to curb that.

HOWEVER, the whole spectacle last night simply did not work. I'm sure they'll point to numbers, but you hedged by placing it right before a conference finals game 1. Numbers should be good. But they are trying way too hard to make the lotto selection thing work. Someone mentioned elsewhere, but the players have no business being there and I think Zion's reaction(s) may make the NBA think twice in doing that again. Just weird to have players there in general, when the order/teams aren't even announced.
saclare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 11:51 AM   #300
tap2390
Diamond Member

tap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond repute

I for one, am still salty af.

The only reason we had to trade a future pick to get Luka in the first place is because the lottery f'ed us last year. Now we lose out on our chance to get one of the following:

Zion Williamson
Ja Morant
RJ Barrett
Deandre Hunter
Coby White
Jarrett Culver
Darius Garland
Jaxson Hayes
Nassir Little
Keldon Johnson
Bruno Fernando

Any one of those guys would have been a solid young prospect who could've developed well next to a guy like Luka. Of course I make the trade 101 times out of 100, but we should have had the 3rd pick last year.

Last edited by tap2390; 05-15-2019 at 11:51 AM.
tap2390 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 12:00 PM   #301
sefant77
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by saclare View Post
If I'm NOLA, I get the absolute most out of a package for AD. He clearly doesn't want to be there. I'd hitch it to Jrue and Zion, and spend some money while stockpiling assets. Can always trade Jrue down the line if he then doesn't fit the direction.

I also think last night put a dent into the tanking narrative. How big may still need to be seen, but some garbage teams who were looking to lose now finished lower than they hoped. I think this lotto system could work to curb that.

HOWEVER, the whole spectacle last night simply did not work. I'm sure they'll point to numbers, but you hedged by placing it right before a conference finals game 1. Numbers should be good. But they are trying way too hard to make the lotto selection thing work. Someone mentioned elsewhere, but the players have no business being there and I think Zion's reaction(s) may make the NBA think twice in doing that again. Just weird to have players there in general, when the order/teams aren't even announced.
Yeah that show was garbage. I also dont think they are going to invite player in the future. Zion was the clear #1 and most hyped player since Lebron, so they thought they give it a shot.

But it sucked and Zion looked so disappointed. But yeah, he had a 50% chance to land with his two favorite teams (Knicks, Lakers) and he ends up with a team that was probably in his bottom three..

I like the new odds, ridiculius tanking doesnt get rewarded with a 25% chance anymore. I also think that is pretty much the end of sending out unprotected picks unless its for a star (like our 2021 KP pick). Every pick is going to be top-4 protected for multiple years...
Old 05-15-2019, 08:09 PM   #302
NeedlesKane
Platinum Member

NeedlesKane has a brilliant futureNeedlesKane has a brilliant futureNeedlesKane has a brilliant futureNeedlesKane has a brilliant futureNeedlesKane has a brilliant futureNeedlesKane has a brilliant futureNeedlesKane has a brilliant futureNeedlesKane has a brilliant futureNeedlesKane has a brilliant futureNeedlesKane has a brilliant futureNeedlesKane has a brilliant future

I've gotta say that I am pleased with how the draft ended up. The Mavs could have finished with 6th through 9th but landed 10th. That's the worst possible pick they could have landed and traded away to Atlanta. I love that so much! Of course things could have gone the other way, but I won't focus on that. I will take the positive things from this only.
Old 05-15-2019, 09:08 PM   #303
sefant77
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeedlesKane View Post
I've gotta say that I am pleased with how the draft ended up. The Mavs could have finished with 6th through 9th but landed 10th. That's the worst possible pick they could have landed and traded away to Atlanta. I love that so much! Of course things could have gone the other way, but I won't focus on that. I will take the positive things from this only.
No, at draft night it was just 1-4 or 9-13 possible (with #12 and #13 unlikely).
Old 05-16-2019, 04:30 AM   #304
BigDog63

BigDog63 is a name known to allBigDog63 is a name known to allBigDog63 is a name known to allBigDog63 is a name known to allBigDog63 is a name known to allBigDog63 is a name known to allBigDog63 is a name known to allBigDog63 is a name known to allBigDog63 is a name known to allBigDog63 is a name known to allBigDog63 is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Budapest Maverick View Post
Pretty sure that's not how it works. We would have had more lotto balls, but theoretically could have done even worse. This is not a bad outcome, at least the Hawks did not benefit much.
Nope. If we weren't going to get lucky and move up, then the best thing that could happen was for us to move down, which is what happened.

Ie, it's really more ATL's bad luck, than ours.

Yes, I'm sure ATL fans and Knicks fans are fairly upset.

Last edited by BigDog63; 05-16-2019 at 04:32 AM.
BigDog63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2019, 04:13 PM   #305
NeedlesKane
Platinum Member

NeedlesKane has a brilliant futureNeedlesKane has a brilliant futureNeedlesKane has a brilliant futureNeedlesKane has a brilliant futureNeedlesKane has a brilliant futureNeedlesKane has a brilliant futureNeedlesKane has a brilliant futureNeedlesKane has a brilliant futureNeedlesKane has a brilliant futureNeedlesKane has a brilliant futureNeedlesKane has a brilliant future

Quote:
No, at draft night it was just 1-4 or 9-13 possible (with #12 and #13 unlikely).
Really?! I don't know why I had been thinking that all along. Well, I wish we finished 13th then.